Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,930 members, 7,952,741 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 10:49 PM

Russia Gives Condition For Military Aid To Nigeria. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Russia Gives Condition For Military Aid To Nigeria. (4294 Views)

Security Council Gives Condition For Elections To Hold In N/East / Cameroon Appeals For International Military Aid To Fight Boko Haram / Nigeria Turns To Russia And China For Military Hardware Against Terror (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Russia Gives Condition For Military Aid To Nigeria. by Idrismusty97(m): 11:23am On Sep 25, 2014
IN Nigeria’s quest to surmount its security challenges, Russia is open to an invitation by the Federal Government to raise its military assistance.

But the increase in military collaboration, according to the Russian envoy to Nigeria, Amb. Nikolay Udovichenko, can be helped by a proposal by the Nigerian side stating exactly what its needs are.

In an interview with The Guardian on what his country is doing with Nigeria on the fight against terrorism, among others, he said Russia was encouraged by the fact that the Federal Government had openly invited friendly countries to help deal with insurgency.

Udovichenko stressed: “...Russia always stands for Nigeria in this struggle. Every year we provide different trainings and courses in Russia for Nigerian police officers, but of course we understand that a lot can be and should be done to promote our bilateral collaboration in the security sphere to a higher level. In this connection we are ready to carefully consider any proposal from the Nigerian government including providing additional trainings, weapons, ammunition etc. to strengthen our ties in this crucial aspect of our interaction.”

Media reports indicate that efforts to procure arms from Russia have not been successful owing to a slight weakness in the Nigerian-Russia diplomatic relations over Nigeria’s stance on Ukraine at the United Nations.

But the envoy countered: “We see no reason why the situation around Ukraine should have a negative impact on our relations with Nigeria which is traditionally a good friend and partner of Russia. Anyway, we respect the position of Nigeria in relation to international affairs, even if it does not coincide with our vision and problems. My personal principle in this regard is that whoever is not against us is for us. So, we are ready for the wide cooperation with Nigeria, we stay good and reliable companions for the interaction in different fields. I see no problems or any tensions in cooperation between our countries because of Ukraine. But of course we will be really glad if Nigeria will consider more clearly the situation about the crisis in Ukraine, its roots and negative influence on the future.”

He spoke further: “At this time, Russia wants to express her solidarity with the Federal Government, with the Nigerian people in their fight against terrorism, because we know what it is, we know how it is difficult to overcome such challenges...We know the huge potential of Nigeria and an outstanding role of your country on the African continent. I hope that the cooperation with international community including Russia will promote this aim. I can assure you that I will do my best to expand the bilateral relations in different fields including security, trade, scientific, cultural and education spheres...”

Asked what kind of understanding Russia wants from a country like Nigeria on the international politics over Ukraine, he simply said: “Objectiveness.”

On the intricacies in defeating BoKo Haram, he said: “No doubt that the problem of Boko Haram is really hard and unfortunately there is no quick solution. International terrorism is a complex issue of different dimensions. For governments it is crucial to demonstrate determination in the fight against terrorism. At the same time, there is another important task related to developing the social system, creating economic opportunities and jobs especially for young people. In this regard we are also definitely ready to assist Nigeria in all possible ways. In order to facilitate the economic relations, which can boost economic development of Nigeria, we are reopening the Russian trade mission in Abuja.”

Maintaining that a Russian trade mission would soon be reopened in Nigeria as a sign of the willingness of Moscow to make relations between the two countries more strategic, he also allayed the fear that the ongoing international politics has already affected Russia’s cooperation with Nigeria in the area of space and satellite technology, and an earlier understanding on military hardware.

“The answer is definitely no. There is no negative implication on it. We continue our mutually beneficial cooperation with Nigeria in these and many other fields and are prepared to further strengthen our interaction with your great country. As for the Nigerian side I believe you are also ready for it. Using this opportunity I wish Nigerian people peace, security and prosperity.... As for the trade mission, I do really hope that it will start functioning next year. As soon as it happens I believe our bilateral cooperation in economic and trade spheres will gain a new and significant momentum.”

The envoy also shed more light on the crisis in Ukraine, including factors that fuel the conflict in the region.

“In order to understand the situation in Ukraine and around, it is necessary to look at the problem in its genesis and in the context of the global situation. New centres of power are being established which shape the future development of the world and not everybody likes it. It is always difficult for a state in modern history to adopt new reality. Look at the crisis in Iraq, Libya, Syria – it is not Russia that unleashed these conflicts. Ukraine is a logical link in this chain. We are just responding to the actions made by those who accuse us of the crisis in Ukraine. Interference in the internal affairs of a state, double standards in foreign policy and human rights are just a few among the instruments of these powers for trying to keep the full control over the world...Let me give you an example. When there is a crisis in Yemen or Sudan, all western countries including the USA begin to appeal and urge the confronting sides to start the negotiation process and try to find peaceful solutions. With Ukraine it is really extremely surprising, but there were no calls from the EU and the United States to the Ukrainian government to sit down and start talking to Ukrainian people who openly express their disagreement with the policy of the government that grabbed power in a de facto coup d’etat. Unfortunately by such silence the western countries urge Kiev authorities to continue attacks and bombardments of the cities in the Eastern Ukraine. Some hope for the establishment of a peaceful dialogue and solution emerged after the meeting between Presidents of Russia and Ukraine in Minsk on September 5, 2014.”

The envoy explained the more likely Russian response to sanctions and proposed rapprochement during discussions at the United Nations General Assembly Meeting and Security Council this week.

Udovichenko said: “Attempts to settle crisis by unilateral sanctions outside the framework of the UN Security Council decisions threaten and contradict norms and principles of the international law. I would like also to stress that it is absolutely unacceptable to talk to Russia – and anyone, for that matter – in the language of ultimatums and coercive measures. At the same time our counter-actions in response to unilateral steps have been balanced and are in line with the rights and obligations of Russia under international treaties, including WTO. It is not our choice, but there should be no doubt that we will do whatever is necessary to protect our legitimate interests, including the interests of national security in all dimensions. That was the basis of our decision to ban import of agricultural and food products from several states which had adopted sectoral economic sanctions against Russia. But Russia does not want to proceed along the road of escalation. We hope that the USA, the European Union and others hear the voice of reason and put an end to this meaningless tit-for-tat vicious circle.”

On why Russia is apparently not perturbed by the sanctions, the envoy said: “So far, there wasn’t a really big effect of the sanctions. But, of course, if we speak about technology or finance it will affect bilateral cooperation. It is easier to develop standing on different legs. But for the same time there are positives for us, because we relied too much on Western partners so far and now we have to develop our own potential to find opportunities for better cooperation with other countries. The world is polycentric today. For instance, there is an organisation called BRICS with Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa. They are big emerging economies and can do a lot for creating more equal and fair world...”

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/news/national-news/180511-russia-gives-condition-for-military-aid-to-nigeria

2 Likes

Re: Russia Gives Condition For Military Aid To Nigeria. by morefire: 11:25am On Sep 25, 2014
Re: Russia Gives Condition For Military Aid To Nigeria. by Krak(m): 11:29am On Sep 25, 2014
Diplomats always talking from both sides of their mouth.

3 Likes

Re: Russia Gives Condition For Military Aid To Nigeria. by estyvino(m): 11:31am On Sep 25, 2014
@least I tried read-am half.

2 Likes

Re: Russia Gives Condition For Military Aid To Nigeria. by Idrismusty97(m): 11:33am On Sep 25, 2014
The Russian envoy is trying to open Nigerians eyes and drag us away from Western influence. These are some of his words;
“So far, there wasn’t a really big effect of the sanctions. But, of course, if we speak about technology or finance it will affect bilateral cooperation. It is easier to develop standing on different legs. But for the same time there are positives for us, because we relied too much on Western partners so far and now we have to develop our own potential to find opportunities for better cooperation with other countries. The world is polycentric today. For instance, there is an organisation called BRICS with Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa. They are big emerging economies and can do a lot for creating more equal and fair world...”

"......New centres of power are being established which shape the future development of the world and not everybody likes it. It is always difficult for a state in modern history to adopt new reality. Look at the crisis in Iraq, Libya, Syria – it is not Russia that unleashed these conflicts. Ukraine is a logical link in this chain. We are just responding to the actions made by those who accuse us of the crisis in Ukraine. Interference in the internal affairs of a state, double standards in foreign policy and human rights are just a few among the instruments of these powers for trying to keep the full control over the world... Let me give you an example. When there is a crisis in Yemen or Sudan, all western countries including the USA begin to appeal and urge the confronting sides to start the negotiation process and try to find peaceful solutions. With Ukraine it is really extremely surprising, but there were no calls from the EU and the United States to....

4 Likes

Re: Russia Gives Condition For Military Aid To Nigeria. by omenka(m): 11:39am On Sep 25, 2014
This useless government should be careful who they choose to pitch tents with. Much as I desire we break ranks with all these western control, you gain nothing by substituting one overbearing puppeteer for another.

2 Likes

Re: Russia Gives Condition For Military Aid To Nigeria. by NgeneUkwenu(f): 11:43am On Sep 25, 2014
cheesy
Re: Russia Gives Condition For Military Aid To Nigeria. by omoharry(f): 11:51am On Sep 25, 2014
HMMMMMM! Wahala dey oooooooo! Presidentent Jonah, sey you know what you are doing oooo! well if it is the good move in the right direction them we are behind you more than those that are against you.

2 Likes

Re: Russia Gives Condition For Military Aid To Nigeria. by Nobody: 12:00pm On Sep 25, 2014
Thats a diplotmat doing his job.
I urge the Fg to mentain neutrality.

1 Like

Re: Russia Gives Condition For Military Aid To Nigeria. by F117A: 12:30pm On Sep 25, 2014
You can see what our unnecessary pro-western stance has done to us?
We keep voting against russian interests at the UN and you expect russia to trust us?
I just hope it's not too late .
We need to have a defined foreign policy tending towards east.
Imagine how much military good the russians could do for Nigeria.
Those ruskies would load us with weapons to atleast counter american interference in the sub-region.

3 Likes

Re: Russia Gives Condition For Military Aid To Nigeria. by asadike(f): 12:46pm On Sep 25, 2014
Naija,y nw? No b ur friend since d days of biafra,make una continue dat friendship o,why u dey vote against ur friend 4 una general meeting?

1 Like

Re: Russia Gives Condition For Military Aid To Nigeria. by IrunOBO: 1:10pm On Sep 25, 2014
IT IS BOLDLY WRITTEN IN THE BIBLE>>>

END TIME THINGS>>>>>>>

NATIONS COLLABORATING WITH THEMSELVES TO WAGE WAR>>>

IF OBAMA DROP BOMB FOR WE HEAD NAU< UNA GO DEY SHOUT

IN THIS CASE< NA OUR CORRUPTION THEY BUY US TROUBLE

NIGERIA COLLABORATES WITH RUSSIA TO OBTAIN WEAPONS

WHAT DO YOU THINK OBAMA WOULD MAKE OUT OF THIS>>>>
Re: Russia Gives Condition For Military Aid To Nigeria. by 100Cents: 1:25pm On Sep 25, 2014
Krak: Diplomats always talking from both sides of their mouth.

That is what they are paid for..

I just read what the US envoy said about US blocking Nigeria's arms purchase.

The guy ended up saying nothing or at best saying what Nigerian military officials said.

They just paint words to appear good to the hearing..

2 Likes

Re: Russia Gives Condition For Military Aid To Nigeria. by SLIDEwaxie(m): 1:37pm On Sep 25, 2014
Russia all the way! USA bawo?
Re: Russia Gives Condition For Military Aid To Nigeria. by dustydee: 1:54pm On Sep 25, 2014
So why did our government suggest that America blocked our move to buy arms from Russia? Always looking for excuses for not doing the right thing.
Re: Russia Gives Condition For Military Aid To Nigeria. by Idrismusty97(m): 2:07pm On Sep 25, 2014
dustydee: So why did our government suggest that America blocked our move to buy arms from Russia? Always looking for excuses for not doing the right thing.
They said that for Israel not Russia. I don't think America can stop us from acquiring Russian arms. Any source?
Re: Russia Gives Condition For Military Aid To Nigeria. by peleson: 2:10pm On Sep 25, 2014
F117A: You can see what our unnecessary pro-western stance has done to us?
We keep voting against russian interests at the UN and you expect russia to trust us?
I just hope it's not too late .
We need to have a defined foreign policy tending towards east.
Imagine how much military good the russians could do for Nigeria.
Those ruskies would load us with weapons to atleast counter american interference in the sub-region.
But u dnt to b an enemy to the US! U knw wot dat means? We nid to be careful!
Re: Russia Gives Condition For Military Aid To Nigeria. by Vstuffs(m): 2:16pm On Sep 25, 2014
Hmm
Make I cool down read
Re: Russia Gives Condition For Military Aid To Nigeria. by Nobody: 2:28pm On Sep 25, 2014
Nigeria should try playing neutral. It is fatal for our nationhood to sever relations with the West in favor of Russian and It is also fatal to be absolutely proWest. Nigeria's Diplomats should be very tactical
Re: Russia Gives Condition For Military Aid To Nigeria. by skullz: 2:53pm On Sep 25, 2014
Being neutral is the best.
Re: Russia Gives Condition For Military Aid To Nigeria. by Nobody: 3:04pm On Sep 25, 2014
Re: Russia Gives Condition For Military Aid To Nigeria. by dustydee: 3:34pm On Sep 25, 2014
Idrismusty97: They said that for Israel not Russia. I don't think America can stop us from acquiring Russian arms. Any source?
They gave that as an excuse why they had to illegally acquire weapons from the black market in SA.
Re: Russia Gives Condition For Military Aid To Nigeria. by Justcash(m): 3:35pm On Sep 25, 2014
"....we continue our mutually beneficial cooperation with Nigeria in these areas (MILITARY HARDWARE SUPPLIES INCLUDED) and many other fields and are prepared to further strengthen our interaction with your great country. As for the Nigerian side I believe you are also ready for it. Using this opportunity I wish Nigerian people peace, security and prosperity....”

WHAT RUSSIA IS TELLING NIGERIA IS, "IF YOU WONNA BUY THE MILITARY HARDWARE, COME AND GET THEM! STOP RANTING ABOUT THE FRIGGIN FAGGIN YANKEES!!"
Re: Russia Gives Condition For Military Aid To Nigeria. by cirmuell(m): 4:11pm On Sep 25, 2014
I think the best is just to strike a balance between these two(if possible). Not being pro-Russia or US, and even China can always fill in some space. The least we need right now is some puppet masters telling us what to or what not to do.
Re: Russia Gives Condition For Military Aid To Nigeria. by 50calibre(m): 5:45pm On Sep 25, 2014
So Nigeria took a stance on the Ukrainian crises? (of course the same stance as their western masters) even china a key ally of both Russia & the west maintained neutrality.... Jonada*ft is really dumb beyond measurement.

How can a country where people barely feed properly be dabbling into very sensitive international issues like this? Issues that should be left to the top dogs..

2 Likes

Re: Russia Gives Condition For Military Aid To Nigeria. by fr3do(m): 7:15pm On Sep 25, 2014
New centres of power are being established which shape the future development of the world and not everybody likes it. It is always difficult for a state in modern history to adopt new reality.

True talk o

With Ukraine it is really extremely surprising, but there were no calls from the EU and the United States to the Ukrainian government to sit down and start talking to Ukrainian people who openly express their disagreement with the policy of the government that grabbed power in a de facto coup d’etat.

Its this double standard that annoys me about the west, I thought democracy was supreme.

Asked what kind of understanding Russia wants from a country like Nigeria on the international politics over Ukraine, he simply said: “Objectiveness.”

Oga o, Nigeria is too vulnerable to be aligning itself at this stage, the west already feels slightly threatened that a country like Nigeria with so much potential ( cheesy I love using that word) is not completely backing it up as francophone countries back up France (that's why the CNN and BBC bashing), if we align ourselves to Russia, the west will seek to crush us. if we align ourselves to the west, we will have to let go of some of our sovereignty and subscribe to some of their ideas on 'human rights'.

Let's play like China by not aligning ourselves.
What's wrong if we set our own path and Ghana and Kenya and other African countries become pro-Nigeria?
Re: Russia Gives Condition For Military Aid To Nigeria. by AustineE1: 8:09pm On Sep 25, 2014
50calibre: So Nigeria took a stance on the Ukrainian crises? (of course the same stance as their western masters) even china a key ally of both Russia & the west maintained neutrality.... Jonada*ft is really dumb beyond measurement.

How can a country where people barely feed properly be dabbling into very sensitive international issues like this? Issues that should be left to the top dogs..
... you and Omenka,thinks that always insulting the president will make both of you sound smart but do you know what any civilized mind in this forum thinks of you,that you both are both uncivilized,uncultured,crude,unrefined and products of distorted upbringing.I understand you may be jobless,riddled by poverty but you shld find a decent way of venting your frustrations and spend less time online,you may some day get a breakthrough in life by using your time well.
I can authoritatively say this to you,If you ever were from a decent home where a dad plays his role to his children and you understand what it takes to attain great heights in life,you will never insult a president of a nation or any elder in that manner!By always insulting,it shows you are weak and your challenges are obvious.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Russia Gives Condition For Military Aid To Nigeria. by RockMaxi: 8:17pm On Sep 25, 2014
As for me I will prefer Nigeria to stick to Russia. Don't ask me why.. angry
Re: Russia Gives Condition For Military Aid To Nigeria. by Nobody: 8:24pm On Sep 25, 2014
50calibre: So Nigeria took a stance on the Ukrainian crises? (of course the same stance as their western masters) even china a key ally of both Russia & the west maintained neutrality.... Jonada*ft is really dumb beyond measurement.

You're a compound bushman who thinks like a donkey. For your information, every sovereign nation on earth ''takes a stance'' on issues of global importance, and declares its stance at the UN General Council, where every nation's voice is heard. It has nothing to do with being ''a top dog'' or ''top cat''. Even St Kitts takes a position. A position of neutrality is also a stance and is governed by the related nation's calculated interests.
Re: Russia Gives Condition For Military Aid To Nigeria. by omowolewa: 8:46pm On Sep 25, 2014
I thought they are still under Nigerian sanction for their role in Ukraine.

wink
Re: Russia Gives Condition For Military Aid To Nigeria. by Nobody: 8:49pm On Sep 25, 2014
^shocked naija didn't sanction Russia as well.

Lmao at naija and it's zero foreign policy lol. I cringe every time I see naija vote with the yanks. Especially when the country had a permanent seat at the UN. Abstaining is there for a reason.

Naija also vote with Israel most times as well.
Re: Russia Gives Condition For Military Aid To Nigeria. by AustineE1: 8:51pm On Sep 25, 2014
ROSSIKE:

You're a compound bushman who thinks like a donkey. For your information, every sovereign nation on earth ''takes a stance'' on issues of global importance, and declares its stance at the UN General Council, where every nation's voice is heard. It has nothing to do with being ''a top dog'' or ''top cat''. Even St Kitts takes a position. A position of neutrality is also a stance and is governed by the related nation's calculated interests.
cant you tell from his posts in different threads,that this young man is bereft of understanding...i can percieve pronounced bitterness all over him.I pray that God gives him strenght to overcome his hatefulness!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Its Really Funny No South Eastern State Capital Was Included By Twitter / See Clearer Photos To Show That Soldiers Allegedly Shot A Man Dead In Aba Today / Breaking: Zahra Buhari Indimi Due To Have A Baby In Spain (see PHOTO)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.