Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,896 members, 7,814,027 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:46 AM

Any Christian To Help Explain This? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Any Christian To Help Explain This? (4807 Views)

'any Christian Indulging In These Listed Sins Is Already On His/her Way To Hell' / I will Pay any Christian N300, 000 if you can show me Where This Moutain Is? / Is It Right For A Born Again Spirit Filled Christian To Work In These Places?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Any Christian To Help Explain This? by Nobody: 8:28am On Sep 28, 2014
I don't know if anyone has ever noticed anything while reading this biblical verse:

And the Lord God said, Behold, the man has become like one of Us, to know good and evil and blessing and calamity; and now, lest he put forth his hand and take also from the tree of life and eat, and live forever.
Gen 3: 22.

From the above passage, we are made to understand that man had no knowledge of good and evil before he ate the forbidden fruit. So why was God so angry?

Man clearly didn't know what he was doing (he couldn't differentiate between good and evil).

If man had no knowledge (of good and evil), how could he have responded to the laws of not eating of the fruit?

How can a man who cannot differentiate between good and evil resist temptation?

How can he tell if what his tempter is saying is good or evil since he cannot differentiate one from the other?

The first man (before he sinned) seems more like a robot to me. So why did God make a big deal out of it?

Tagged:

nora544 , DeepSight, infonubia, macof, Seun,
PAGAN9JA, Rossikk, FOLYKAZE, plaetton ,
musKeeto, rinrin23, marieolae, MrsBreezy, datalossvictim1, Vikky014, Missyhorlah, Creamish, Joagbaje, Gombs, OLAADEGBU, torchwave, kevoh, oduduwaboy, alienvirus, Kay17, bluish, PastorKun, musKeeto, malvis, HumbledbYGrace, pesty100, ProphetUdeme, OlaoChi, emmyskies, 2tex, Gorzy1, Delydex, Macelliot, frosbel, bolaino, alexleo, Ishilove, Elantracey, Liveair, Macelliot, jbird, MizMyColi, Dayvhid, Pr0ton, Tallesty1, uzolexis, logicboy01, youngwarlocks, tpia1, BossTdiamonds, mstic, Dolemite.

4 Likes

Re: Any Christian To Help Explain This? by FOLYKAZE(m): 9:20am On Sep 28, 2014
I think the passage is metaphoric. . . .

Would come back. . . .busy with her
Re: Any Christian To Help Explain This? by Nobody: 9:50am On Sep 28, 2014
hifaif: I don't know if anyone has ever noticed anything while reading this biblical verse:

And the Lord God said, Behold, the man has become like one of Us, to know good and evil and blessing and calamity; and now, lest he put forth his hand and take also from the tree of life and eat, and live forever.

From the above passage, we are made to understand that man had no knowledge of good and evil before he ate the forbidden fruit. So why was God so angry?

Man clearly didn't know what he was doing (he couldn't differentiate between good and evil).

If man had no knowledge (of good and evil), how could he have responded to the laws of not eating of the fruit?

How can he tell if what his tempter is saying is good or evil since he cannot differentiate one from the other?

The first man (before he sinned) seems more like a robot to me. So why did God make a big deal out of it?

Tagged:

musKeeto, rinrin23, marieolae, MrsBreezy, datalossvictim1, Vikky014, Missyhorlah, Creamish, Joagbaje, Gombs, OLAADEGBU, torchwave, kevoh, oduduwaboy, alienvirus, Kay17, bluish, PastorKun, musKeeto, malvis, HumbledbYGrace, pesty100, ProphetUdeme, OlaoChi, emmyskies, 2tex, Gorzy1, Delydex, Macelliot, frosbel, bolaino, alexleo, Ishilove, Elantracey, Liveair, Macelliot, jbird, MizMyColi, Dayvhid, Pr0ton, Tallesty1, uzolexis, logicboy01, youngwarlocks, tpia1, BossTdiamonds, mstik Dolemite.
god was just bored and decided to use Adam and Eve to while away time. praise jiZz-us

1 Like

Re: Any Christian To Help Explain This? by Nobody: 9:52am On Sep 28, 2014
FOLYKAZE: I think the passage is metaphoric. . . .

OK, bro. Expecting...

1 Like

Re: Any Christian To Help Explain This? by pesty100(m): 9:53am On Sep 28, 2014
hifaif: I don't know if anyone has ever noticed anything while reading this biblical verse:

The christian had to have an explanation to make us all feel guilty so that we can give them(the church) our money and so that they will be able to control our lives...
Its as simple as it look: its all a big lie 6000 years in the making

3 Likes

Re: Any Christian To Help Explain This? by Nobody: 9:53am On Sep 28, 2014
Dayvhid: god was just bored and decided to use Adam and Eve to while away time. praise jiZz-us

grin

1 Like

Re: Any Christian To Help Explain This? by pesty100(m): 9:55am On Sep 28, 2014
FOLYKAZE: I think the passage is metaphoric. . . .

the fact that sin was created and humans had to die; is that also metaphoric

1 Like

Re: Any Christian To Help Explain This? by LordReed(m): 9:57am On Sep 28, 2014

Tagged:

musKeeto, rinrin23, marieolae, MrsBreezy, datalossvictim1, Vikky014, Missyhorlah, Creamish, Joagbaje, Gombs, OLAADEGBU, torchwave, kevoh, oduduwaboy, alienvirus, Kay17, bluish, PastorKun, musKeeto, malvis, HumbledbYGrace, pesty100, ProphetUdeme, OlaoChi, emmyskies, 2tex, Gorzy1, Delydex, Macelliot, frosbel, bolaino, alexleo, Ishilove, Elantracey, Liveair, Macelliot, jbird, MizMyColi, Dayvhid, Pr0ton, Tallesty1, uzolexis, logicboy01, youngwarlocks, tpia1, BossTdiamonds, mstic, Dolemite.

The good and evil referenced there is not the same good and evil of morality. For instance one effect of eating the fruit was their sudden "awareness" of their unclothedness and even God asks them "who told you you are naked?". Their eyes are opened to things that should not have been problems to them, they lost the innocence of children and have to begin to discern everything for themselves and most times their discernment is wrong because they no longer have the benefit of the wisdom of God. The moral good and evil was already with them as they had a commandment not to eat the fruit. The tempter did not change their ability to obey, he just gave them a "reason" to disobey.

1 Like

Re: Any Christian To Help Explain This? by pesty100(m): 10:02am On Sep 28, 2014
LordReed:

The good and evil referenced there is not the same good and evil of morality. For instance one effect of eating the fruit was their sudden "awareness" of their unclothedness and even God asks them "who told you you are naked?". Their eyes are opened to things that should not have been problems to them, they lost the innocence of children and have to begin to discern everything for themselves and most times their discernment is wrong because they no longer have the benefit of the wisdom of God. The moral good and evil was already with them as they had a commandment not to eat the fruit. The tempter did not change their ability to obey, he just gave them a "reason" to disobey.
sorry but what is the name of that tree again

1 Like

Re: Any Christian To Help Explain This? by Nobody: 10:03am On Sep 28, 2014
pesty100: sorry but what is the name of that tree again
Re: Any Christian To Help Explain This? by FOLYKAZE(m): 10:06am On Sep 28, 2014
pesty100: the fact that sin was created and humans had to die; is that also metaphoric

Where did you read in the passage that sin was created?

One they were never married, and they had sex which lead to pregnancy. In the bible, is this not fornication? Why were Adam and eve not punished for fornication if they had sinned?

The fruit was eaten by human so they have to die like you stated. . . .was it eaten by animals and plants too because they die?

You just dont read bible like story book. And all ancient accounts have there essense.

Someon on this thread explained Adam and Eve are nations of people. Reading from you won lines, you mean they are two individuals.

Some people understand the account to be passage of time and change of ages. You took it as a time within short period.

You dont have to hold me down if you got perplexed in between.

And between. . . .no time for argument on sundat. There is nothing to achieve here so I better hook up with something better

1 Like

Re: Any Christian To Help Explain This? by Nobody: 10:12am On Sep 28, 2014
LordReed:

So what really was the good and evil referenced in that passage. The bible said 'knowledge of good and evil' what sort of good and evil was mentioned here?

1 Like

Re: Any Christian To Help Explain This? by Nobody: 10:19am On Sep 28, 2014
FOLYKAZE:

One they were never married, and they had sex which lead to pregnancy. In the bible, is this not fornication? Why were Adam and eve not punished for fornication if they had sinned?

The fruit was eaten by human so they have to die like you stated. . . .was it eaten by animals and plants too because they die?

You just dont read bible like story book. And all ancient accounts have there essense.

Someon on this thread explained Adam and Eve are nations of people. Reading from you won lines, you mean they are two individuals.

Some people understand the account to be passage of time and change of ages. You took it as a time within short period.

And between. . . .no time for argument on sundat. There is nothing to achieve here so I better hook up with something better

Still patiently waiting for you, sir.

1 Like

Re: Any Christian To Help Explain This? by LordReed(m): 10:30am On Sep 28, 2014
hifaif:

So what really was the good and evil referenced in that passage. The bible said 'knowledge of good and evil' what sort of good and evil was mentioned here?

It is the good and evil of subjective observation (my words). Adam and Eve did not "know" that they were naked or rather their unclothedness was neither good nor evil until they ate the fruit. Their new "powers of subjective observation" led to conclude that their unclothedness was an issue thus they became ashamed of their unclothedness were before it was of no consequence to their actions. This theme is carried forward to more complex issues, Cain jealous of Abel whereas he could have just done the same as Abel, his "observation" leads him to conclude that he is better served by killing Abel. And on and on, look at your own motives and you will see that some things you do are really as a result of this type of faulty conclusions.
Re: Any Christian To Help Explain This? by LordReed(m): 10:32am On Sep 28, 2014
pesty100: sorry but what is the name of that tree again

The knowledge of good and evil.
Re: Any Christian To Help Explain This? by LordReed(m): 10:38am On Sep 28, 2014
FOLYKAZE:

Adam and Eve were married.

Genesis 2
22 And the rib, which the Lord God had taken from man, made he a woman, and brought her unto the man.

23 And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.

24 Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.

25 And they were both naked, the man and his wife, and were not ashamed.
Re: Any Christian To Help Explain This? by Nobody: 10:40am On Sep 28, 2014
LordReed:

It is the good and evil of subjective observation (my words). Adam and Eve did not "know" that they were naked or rather their unclothedness was neither good nor evil until they ate the fruit. Their new "powers of subjective observation" led to conclude that their unclothedness was an issue thus they became ashamed of their unclothedness were before it was of no consequence to their actions. This theme is carried forward to more complex issues, Cain jealous of Abel whereas he could have just done the same as Abel, his "observation" leads him to conclude that he is better served by killing Abel. And on and on, look at your own motives and you will see that some things you do are really as a result of this type of faulty conclusions.

So according to you, there already existed knowledge of objective observation (my words) before Adam ate the forbidden fruit? They could already differentiate some form of good and evil, right?

1 Like

Re: Any Christian To Help Explain This? by pesty100(m): 10:42am On Sep 28, 2014
FOLYKAZE:

in the myth those two disobeyed God that's a sin, and counting there were the only humans then sin got created.
And also God married them both when he took Adam's rib to create Eve so they didn't fornicate.
If you read your bible very well (genesis 3 vs 22) where he was talking to the animals.
This is the only places I understand to rebut

1 Like

Re: Any Christian To Help Explain This? by pesty100(m): 10:46am On Sep 28, 2014
LordReed:

The knowledge of good and evil.
you just contradicted yourself

1 Like

Re: Any Christian To Help Explain This? by LordReed(m): 10:46am On Sep 28, 2014
hifaif:

So according to you, there already existed knowledge of objective observation (my words) before Adam ate the forbidden fruit? They could already differentiate some form of good and evil, right?

Yes, the command God gave to them was a touchstone of that.
Re: Any Christian To Help Explain This? by LordReed(m): 10:47am On Sep 28, 2014
pesty100: you just contradicted yourself

No I did not. Read my previous post properly.
Re: Any Christian To Help Explain This? by pesty100(m): 10:51am On Sep 28, 2014
LordReed:

Re: Any Christian To Help Explain This? by pesty100(m): 10:53am On Sep 28, 2014
LordReed:

if they already had morality... What is the need for a tree of knowledge of good and evil

1 Like

Re: Any Christian To Help Explain This? by Nobody: 10:53am On Sep 28, 2014
LordReed:

Yes, the command God gave to them was a touchstone of that.

But they became like God only after they ate the fruit. What were they like before they ate this fruit?

1 Like

Re: Any Christian To Help Explain This? by LordReed(m): 10:59am On Sep 28, 2014
pesty100: if they already had morality... What is the need for a tree of knowledge of good and evil

The fruit of that tree was not going to give them morality. The tree was there to prove their ability to choose.
Re: Any Christian To Help Explain This? by pesty100(m): 11:01am On Sep 28, 2014
LordReed:

The fruit of that tree was not going to give them morality. The tree was there to prove their ability to choose.
says who?
Re: Any Christian To Help Explain This? by LordReed(m): 11:04am On Sep 28, 2014
hifaif:

But they became like God only after they ate the fruit. What were they like before they ate this fruit?

They were "innocent", "unspoilt", "without guile", "pure". The fruit only served to "corrupt" them.
Re: Any Christian To Help Explain This? by LordReed(m): 11:09am On Sep 28, 2014
pesty100: says who?

Unless you are not reading with discernment it is clear in Bible.

1. God gave a command that becomes the basis for their morality because they will be judged on their ability to obey or disobey.

2. If they cannot choose to disobey then there was no point to the exercise and if the fruit was going to give them the ability to choose then they would not have been condemned for it.
Re: Any Christian To Help Explain This? by Nobody: 11:19am On Sep 28, 2014
LordReed:

They were "innocent", "unspoilt", "without guile", "pure". The fruit only served to "corrupt" them.

But, sir, the only difference between this innocence and ignorance is that the former is positive.

The lack of knowledge stems from a lack of wrongdoing.

It was when they ate of this fruit, that they had the knowledge to differentiate between good and evil not before.

If they were already aware of some forms of good and evil, then they were not created innocent. Guilt came after they ate the fruit. Their eyes opened and they were ashamed. Prior to this, they had no guilt (they were innocent)

1 Like

Re: Any Christian To Help Explain This? by LordReed(m): 11:28am On Sep 28, 2014
hifaif:

But, sir, the only difference between this innocence and ignorance is that the former is positive.

The lack of knowledge stems from a lack of wrongdoing.

It was when they ate of this fruit, that they had the knowledge to differentiate between good and evil not before.

If they were already aware of some forms of good and evil, then they were not created innocent. Guilt came after they ate the fruit. Their eyes opened and they were ashamed. Prior to this, they had no guilt (they were innocent)

Let me try to explain using the analogy of children. Children are born with certain instincts like hunger and feeding however they have to be taught other things like signs of danger. With Adam and Eve they were being taught, eating the fruit was like a shortcut to the knowledge they would have gained from God teaching them correctly. What they now had was "subjective" that is it arose from themselves and not from God's teaching. Was unclothedness evil or good? It was neither but through their "subjective observation" they conclude that it is shame worthy. Notice again God's response to Adam saying "I am naked" God says "WHO told you...". Paraphrasing, God is saying "I certainly did not teach you shame for your unclothedness so where did that knowledge come from? Who informed you? Have you eaten of the tree?".
Re: Any Christian To Help Explain This? by macof(m): 11:36am On Sep 28, 2014
FOLYKAZE:

Wat metaphor? The one the Christians know or the ones only non-Christians see?

For every church preaches this literally

3 Likes

Re: Any Christian To Help Explain This? by Nobody: 11:36am On Sep 28, 2014
LordReed:

Let me try to explain using the analogy of children. Children are born with certain instincts like hunger and feeding however they have to be taught other things like signs of danger. With Adam and Eve they were being taught, eating the fruit was like a shortcut to the knowledge they would have gained from God teaching them correctly. What they now had was "subjective" that is it arose from themselves and not from God's teaching. Was unclothedness evil or good? It was neither but through their "subjective observation" they conclude that it is shame worthy. Notice again God's response to Adam saying "I am naked" God says "WHO told you...". Paraphrasing, God is saying "I certainly did not teach you shame for your unclothedness so where did that knowledge come from? Who informed you? Have you eaten of the tree?".

That is not the point of this thread, sir. The point is that they were without the knowledge to differentiate between good and evil so taking the shortcut to knowledge was not their fault since they could not tell if what they were convinced to do by the serpent was good or evil.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Why Christians Are The Most Evil Sect On Earth Above All Religions. / How Do You Do Charity? Openly Or Secretly? / Is The NIV Bible Corrupt? (for Recognise And Other Christians)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 112
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.