Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,212 members, 7,815,232 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:24 AM

Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? - Nairaland / General (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? (41759 Views)

Truck With Hero Beer Falls In Gboko, Benue State (Photos) / I present to you MY HERO! / Who Is Nigeria's Hero? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by amAZEing: 11:05am On Oct 01, 2014
Ameyo Adadevoh is The Real Heroine.

Great and Heroic Bloodline

... she comes from excellent stock and she is the product of a noble and illustrious lineage.
She was the great great
granddaughter of Herbert Macaulay,the founder of Nigerian
nationalism, a great and
courageous nationalist, the
scourge of the British colonialists, the founder of the first Nigerian political party, the Nigerian National Democratic Party (NNDP), the founder of the Nigerian Youth Movement (NYM) and the founder of one the most formidable political parties in our history, the National Council of Nigeria and the Cameroons (NCNC).

She was also the great, great,
great grandaughter of Thomas
Babington Macaulay, the founder
of the first secondry school in
Nigeria, Christian Missionary
Grammar School, Lagos (CMS
Grammar School).

She was also the great, great, great, great granddaughter of Bishop Samuel Ajayi Crowther, the first African Bishop of the Anglican Church, the. man who first translated the Holy Bible to yoruba, the man who first translated the Book of Common Prayer to yoruba, the first Nigerian to be awarded a Doctorate of Divinity from Oxford University in 1864 and the man who introduced Christianity to the Lagos Colony (as it then was) and to most of south-western Nigeria. In terms of heritage, excellent blood lines and good stock you can’t do much better than that.
- Femi Fani-Kayode

2 Likes

Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by fizzy94(m): 11:06am On Oct 01, 2014
Wow! I'd say Tafawa Balewa, Abacha ( though I'd say he was a tyrant) and Gen. Muhammadu Buhari
Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by amAZEing: 11:09am On Oct 01, 2014
vulpeslopez: Dr Ameyo Adadevoh,The doctor who saved Nigeria from Ebola virus by placing Patrick Sawyer in quarantine despite pressures from the Dumb Liberian Government.

Ameyo Adadevoh is The Real Heroine.

Great and Heroic Bloodline

... she comes from excellent stock and she is the product of a noble and illustrious lineage.
She was the great great
granddaughter of Herbert Macaulay,the founder of Nigerian
nationalism, a great and
courageous nationalist, the
scourge of the British colonialists, the founder of the first Nigerian political party, the Nigerian National Democratic Party (NNDP), the founder of the Nigerian Youth Movement (NYM) and the founder of one the most formidable political parties in our history, the National Council of Nigeria and the Cameroons (NCNC).

She was also the great, great,
great grandaughter of Thomas
Babington Macaulay, the founder
of the first secondry school in
Nigeria, Christian Missionary
Grammar School, Lagos (CMS
Grammar School).

She was also the great, great, great, great granddaughter of Bishop Samuel Ajayi Crowther, the first African Bishop of the Anglican Church, the. man who first translated the Holy Bible to yoruba, the man who first translated the Book of Common Prayer to yoruba, the first Nigerian to be awarded a Doctorate of Divinity from Oxford University in 1864 and the man who introduced Christianity to the Lagos Colony (as it then was) and to most of south-western Nigeria. In terms of heritage, excellent blood lines and good stock you can’t do much better than that.
- Femi Fani-Kayode

3 Likes

Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by valmunich(m): 11:12am On Oct 01, 2014
Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe will always be my hero, his philosophy termed zikism is just one in a million

1 Like

Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by tenry(m): 11:14am On Oct 01, 2014
Past, Obafemi Awolowo, present, Obafemi Awolowo, future, Obafemi Awolowo
Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by oloworulz(m): 11:16am On Oct 01, 2014
Abacha and Gowon.
Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by Blaqsmith(m): 11:19am On Oct 01, 2014
koolg:

oga. propose and propound is one and the same word
I used them for the sake of emphasy...

Thanks for the correction.
Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by Blaqsmith(m): 11:19am On Oct 01, 2014
berrystunn:

For me Obafemi Awolowo is convergent evolution (Vulture).

Ur opinion.
Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by Nobody: 11:22am On Oct 01, 2014
My heroes

1) Nnamdi Azikiwe

2) Chinua Achebe

3) Wole Soyinka

My heroines

1) Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

2) Virginia Etiaba- first female Governor in Nigeria.

3) Dora Akunyili

2 Likes

Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by fyneboi79(m): 11:27am On Oct 01, 2014
Chief Emeka Odimegwu Ojukwu(Ikemba Nnewi eze gburugburu)Eze Ndi Biafra!
Chief Chuba Okadigbo Oyi of Ogbunike land(oyi of oyi)

Rt Gen Muhammadu Buhari

2 Likes

Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by Everfrank(m): 11:27am On Oct 01, 2014
General Sani Abatcha.

1 Like

Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by freshdude99(m): 11:28am On Oct 01, 2014
This man remains my HERO till eternity

1 Like

Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by Nobody: 11:35am On Oct 01, 2014
Chinua Achebe
Wole Soyinka
Muhammadu Buhari
Dora Akunyili
Fashola
Dele Giwa
Fela Kuti
Muritala Mohammed
Odimegwu Ojukwu
Umaru Musa Yar Adua
And finally Chuba Okadigbo. These are great people I cherish so much, people who sincerely wish for a better society and a greater Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by zendy: 11:43am On Oct 01, 2014
Without a shadow of a doubt,Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu:
1] First graduate and quartermaster-Genral of the Nigerian army
2]Son of the richest man in West-Africa but chose to join the army as a lowly recruit-private even though he had degree from Oxford University at the time.
3]First Military Governor of Eastern Nigeria.
4]Amist the wholesale killing of easterners in the north,still chose to seek the peace and unity of Nigeria by going to Aburi,Ghana where he signed a peace agreement that required to recognise Gowon who was junior to him as head of state.
5]stood up against the northern domination of Nigeria when all others would not.
6] Declared the Republic of Biafra on 30th May 1967 when Gowon not only failed in his constitutional role to stop the killing of Igbos but also broke the terms of the Aburi agreement.
7] Ojukwu by declaring Biafra became the only Igbo man to this day who chose stand by his people above all considerations,even the notion of 'one Nigeria'.

A great man he was.

2 Likes

Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by benjsniper33: 11:44am On Oct 01, 2014
Tonylyte:
Free education wey only work for south west? No be una d quarrel say gej dey pack money gv him brothers for naija-delta? As far as naija is concern we dont have any hero yet....heroes are the likes of nelson mandela, malcom-x, martin luther king et all.....mugabe is far better than awolowo and his cohorts of indipendient fighters. Balderdash.

awolowo was a premier of the western region, to which other place do you expect his administerial responsibilitiesto extend to? Didnt each regions have their own premiers then? Even the mid-west had theirs, so why ascribing the massive illiteracy level of your people on Awolowo? Okay in order to make free education available for every nigerians he vied for the presidential post in 1979 and 1983 did you vote for him? Did ur parent and grandies vote for him? did your ethnic folks vote for him? how do you expect the whole of nigeria to enjoy the dividends of free education when Awo is not given the chance to be the head of state?
Mugabe, Martin luther and all other figures aforementioned by you are people who distinguished themselves in their sector of struggles, the more they were given the opportunity to advance the more they worked hard to prove their worth. Awo worked very hard and proved his worth in his area of appointment as a premier and as a vice chairman of the federal after which he promptly resigned honourably in both cases.
So young man education is not only the ability to read and write, but to subject opposite ideas to impartial reasoning and arrive at a tenable conclusion which is devoid of sentiments and prejudice.
This context of mine is not intended to spite but to extricate your point of view of things from the cantankerous tangles of ethnic sentiments.
Thanks

NEEXT!!
Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by Udeeny: 11:46am On Oct 01, 2014
MightySparrow]

and Ojukwu

I agree, he shows us that Nigeria does not worth the celebration. There was never a country called Nigeria.
[/quote][quote][/quote]

U FOOL!!!!!
Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by Marlboro1: 11:46am On Oct 01, 2014
etunoman76: For every strides achieved by all well meaning nations, there are heroes who are well known for the significant roles played in relative field towards the attainment of set national goals. Who is your HERO?

HAPPY INDEPENDENCE!!!!!!

Obasanjo for a number of reasons: for giving us Okonjo-Iweala, Dora Akunyili, Ribadu, EFCC, NAFDAC, making state governors think before stealing, Odi, and his straightforward ness

2 Likes

Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by Marlboro1: 11:50am On Oct 01, 2014
etunoman76: For every strides achieved by all well meaning nations, there are heroes who are well known for the significant roles played in relative field towards the attainment of set national goals. Who is your HERO?

HAPPY INDEPENDENCE!!!!!!

Obasanjo for a number of reasons: for giving us Okonjo-Iweala, Dora Akunyili, Ribadu, EFCC, NAFDAC, making state governors think before stealing, Odi, and his straightforward ness.

And Ojukwu for being such a visionary. He foresaw todays Nigeria's problems back in 1967 and tried his best to fix it.

1 Like

Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by pretyu: 11:51am On Oct 01, 2014
Prof. Dora Nkem Akunyili

She didn't just fight drug counterfeit dealers, she fought her own brothers.

I can't do that, I respect people who do the impossible.

She deserves a place in the stars!

1 Like

Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by PastorOla1: 11:53am On Oct 01, 2014
Chief Obafemi Awolowo, Past Hero. My Wife is my present hero without any apology.
Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by Nobody: 11:58am On Oct 01, 2014
[size=13pt]Chinua Achebe
Wole soyinka
Fela Anikulapo kuti
Chimanda Adichie
Fashola
Doyinsola Ogunbiyi
Tai solarin
Pat Utomi.....
These were rare breeds that this nation hasn't/didnt harness their God sent touch and perspective for a greater Nigeria.......[/size]
Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by berrystunn(m): 11:58am On Oct 01, 2014
Blaqsmith:

Ur opinion.

YES MY RIGHT
Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by Nobody: 11:59am On Oct 01, 2014
Murtala muhammed, obafemi awolowo, GMB.
Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by princebergz(m): 12:00pm On Oct 01, 2014
jamillion: Question for the monkeys... grin.

then you need to start spewing your guts...
Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by Nobody: 12:09pm On Oct 01, 2014
FrancisTony: My heroes

1) Nnamdi Azikiwe

2) Chinua Achebe

3) Wole Soyinka

My heroines

1) Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

2) Virginia Etiaba- first female Governor in Nigeria.

3) Dora Akunyili

Lovely! Very very close to mine. Great people cannot be hidden I guess, greatness breaks boundaries.

Plus I never knew we had a female governor, wow.
Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by berrystunn(m): 12:10pm On Oct 01, 2014
freshdude99: This man remains my HERO till eternity

http://radiobiafra.co/gallery/videos/ojukwu-s-speech-during-the-biafra-war
Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by Nobody: 12:10pm On Oct 01, 2014
i've got no mortal hero but i have deep respect and great admiration for The late Dora Akunyili who was bold enough to enlighten Nigerians about fake drugs and ruin the businesses of white and yellow chalk sellers who claimed to be drug manufacturers. I also have great admiration for the lady doctor who insisted that the liberian retaard-patrick sawyer must remain in the hospital instead of moving all over lagos and causing a wide spread epidemic;
she ended up sacrificing her own life. (someone should please remind me of her name). Is it not remarkable that these two were women? African women are great!!!
Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by joseph1832(m): 12:15pm On Oct 01, 2014
Past: Major Chukwuma Kaduna Nzeogwu. Present: Professor Wole Soyinka and Dr. Marx Wagbafor.
Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by Tomjazzy2: 12:18pm On Oct 01, 2014
Epileptic Power supply, Chronic and pervasive poverty, endemic unemployment, insecurity, and ofcourse, cancerous corruption, etc.

the affore mentioned are my heroes, past, present, and hopefully, the future.
Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by Nobody: 12:20pm On Oct 01, 2014
olufela Anikulapo Ransome kuti Abamieda a.k.a Baba 70

Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by Nobody: 12:20pm On Oct 01, 2014
We don't have national heroes in Nigeria!

The only person that comes close to a national hero is none other than Olusegun Obasanjo, although I can't stand the man!

In terms of sectional heroes, none other than the duo of Obafemi Awolowo, greatest Yoruba leader to date and Samuel Akintola, master strategist and brilliant politician. No greater calamity has befallen the Yoruba people on account of the duo not being able to work out their differences.
Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by Nobody: 12:21pm On Oct 01, 2014
Pastor Chris Oyakhilome Ph.D

And Samuel O. Zion

These are my heroes!!

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Truck Crushes Man's Car In Calabar, As He Goes To Ease Himself Inside Bush / Young Man Poses Inside A Casket (Photo) / Okada Man Carrying Goats In Onitsha

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.