Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,121 members, 7,814,938 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:16 AM

Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? - Nairaland / General (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? (41754 Views)

Truck With Hero Beer Falls In Gboko, Benue State (Photos) / I present to you MY HERO! / Who Is Nigeria's Hero? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 10:05am On Oct 01, 2014
0merta:

What's your problem, young man? Take a chill pill!

Are you pained by the starvation policy or the 20 Pounds policy? Which?

He might not be a hero to you but your hero, Ojukwu sees him as a Hero...meaning he's indirectly a "Grand hero" to you!

Awolowo was not only a hero! He was a trailblazer! He's the reason my late Grand parents spoke fluent, queen's english. He's the reason my parents and virtually all my elderly uncles and Aunts are university graduates.

Do you know that Awolowo was and is still the only Nigerian Non-President or Non-head-of-state to be bestowed with a GCFR National honour?

Do you know his portrait graces the 100 naira note, depicting that he was even considered before other heroes like Zik and Ahmadu Bello, whose portraits graced other denominations years later?

Do you know that Awolowo's feats as Premier of the Western region made Azikiwe look like a Crook as Eastern region's Premier?

Do you know he was his own Lawyer when he was charged to court for cooked up and illegal felony charges! He defended himself. That was how smart he was...

Ojukwu caused the genocide and not Baba Awo!

Oloshi like you!

the needs of eastern Nigeria was /is different rrom that of western Nigeria.
Poverty in the latter prompted the free education thing while the former didn't really have those issues.
Zik didnt look like a crook.
And really, many south westerners especially the older generations don't understand simple English, this includes those that went to secondary schools.
Yea, Nigeria waited for the denomination to rise before honoring people like zik. You don't expect him to be on #100 and below, why do you think some northerners are protesting that tafawa balewa should be put on the next denomination?
Please, tell me why awolowo was jailed .

2 Likes

Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by AMACRITY(f): 10:08am On Oct 01, 2014
Abiola, Dora Akunyili and me.
Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by tejpot(m): 10:08am On Oct 01, 2014
InyinyaAgbaOku:

if he won the prize, if he is that good in supercomputing, then he is worth to celebrate.
He is a genius. he showed an African can do it.
No negative image here, you are the one living in negative image.
Sahara reporters tried to paint him bad, but they failed woefully.
If he doesn't influence you, he influenced many people from around the world.
Achievements are without biase a universal currency and I got the fact that he has influenced people with his achievements. Whether some people try to discredit or denigrate his achievement is left to be seen in years to come. I support ur claim that he's worthy of celebration, what I don't support is over celebrating him when thousands of Nigerians home and abroad have equally achieved that fit in their respective field. No offence
Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by berrystunn(m): 10:08am On Oct 01, 2014
Lt. Colonel Francis Adekunle Fajuyi ..... RIP

Excellency, Lt. Col. Odumegwu Ojukwu (the
Ikemba)...RIP

Major Kaduna Nzeogwu ......RIP

Lt. Col. Banjo, a Yoruba, with the Biafran rank of brigadier ..... RIP

Prof. Wole Soyinka.

If i have my way to power, some major street in Igboland will be named after them.
Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by Nosu(m): 10:10am On Oct 01, 2014
Kunleskey: Let's stop deceiving ourself Nigeria did not have any hero.. We only have big men and they are not great men but a failure...
God will richly bless you. Nigerians are too sentimental, tribal conscious and religious that they can see things as they are.
Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by Sheenor: 10:11am On Oct 01, 2014
Obafemi Awolowo

Prof. Wole Soyinka

Chief MKO Abiola

Chief Gani Fawehinmi

Umaru Musa Yaradua
Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 10:13am On Oct 01, 2014
tejpot:
Achievements are without biase a universal currency and I got the fact that he has influenced people with his achievements. Whether some people try to discredit or denigrate his achievement is left to be seen in years to come. I support ur claim that he's worthy of celebration, what I don't support is over celebrating him when thousands of Nigerians home and abroad have equally achieved that fit in their respective field. No offence

there is nothing like over celebration.
Intellectuals like him has no national awards, but idi.ots were given awards.
Nobody is over celebrating him.
Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by Ninilowo(m): 10:14am On Oct 01, 2014
My hero?....... That should be Nigeria Bottling Company nah.
Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by Ninilowo(m): 10:16am On Oct 01, 2014
berrystunn: Lt. Colonel Francis Adekunle Fajuyi ..... RIP

Excellency, Lt. Col. Odumegwu Ojukwu (the
Ikemba)...RIP

Major Kaduna Nzeogwu ......RIP

Lt. Col. Banjo, a Yoruba, with the Biafran rank of brigadier ..... RIP

Hmmmmm.......... I remember him and I trowey salute...... COLONEL VICTOR BANJO. hawuah sir!

1 Like

Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by Nosu(m): 10:17am On Oct 01, 2014
A hero (masculine) or heroine (feminine) (Ancient Greek: ἥρως, hḗrōs) refers to characters who, in the face of danger and adversity or from a position of weakness, display courage and the will for self-sacrifice—that is, heroism—for some greater good of all humanity. This definition originally referred to martial courage or excellence but extended to more general moral excellence

So with this understanding, let return to our list and critical evaluate our list and u will realise that they were all fighting for themselves and not u for ur good.
Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by Nobody: 10:26am On Oct 01, 2014
0merta:

I love your signature, Bro!

Yoruba tokan tokan ni emi na ooo! grin grin

Cheers Bro.

This is Konmight. The Ogas have banned my monikers Konmight and CocoaMerchant. I no send dem sha, I'm deleting the 3 accounts after the election. Ghana must go.

Success Bro.
Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by Nobody: 10:30am On Oct 01, 2014
DonDiego: Bros, nowhere in the world is the VC position given stricly to the most senior academic in a particular university. It is also usally not strictly for the most brillant. Or else only Nobel Prize winners would be VCs abroad. So your argument is weak on that score.
As for the alleged cronysm of Zik in the Dr Dike, it is really laughable. UI in the late 50s and early 60s was peopled by mostly expatriate academic staff and merit was still the order of the day. Only the man who combined strong academic credentials with an acknowledged leadership quality could have emerged. And he happened to be Dike.

Yeah,

When it favours your people, it's MELIT.

I got it.

Cheers.
Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by nzeBiddle(m): 10:31am On Oct 01, 2014
While our first generation leaders successfully fought for and gained independence for the country, I do not regard any one of them a hero -primarily for one reason viz: SOWING THE SEEDS OF ETHNO-RELIGOUS/ REGIONAL DISCORD in the polity immediately they took over from the colonialists. The result of that singular act, we are still grappling with today -politics of nepotism, regionalism etc. No ideology, no philosophy, no 'issues'-based discourse ...and I am talking of the ahmadu bellos, the azikiwes, the awolowos of this world.
Anyway my heroes in no particular order include:

Dora Akunyili: no need to mention why

Oluwole Akinwande Soyinka: not just for his acheivements and worldwide acclaim in literature but also for being a consistent fighter and beleiver in social justice through the years. Below are other folks who share a similar feat especially vis a vis fighting social injustice

Chinualumogu Achebe

Gani Fawehinmi

Olisa Agbakoba

Rear Admiral Ndubisi Kanu

Mallam Aminu Kano

Femi Falana

Fela Anikulapo Kuti 'Ebami eda'
Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by Kingspin(m): 10:32am On Oct 01, 2014
Warning!! We will not accept any name that introduced tribalism in the country ..
Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by Nosu(m): 10:32am On Oct 01, 2014
hifaif: PROF. WOLE SOYINKA:

Black Africa's first Nobel prize winner in Literature (1986).

A man who was put in solitary confinement for calling for ceasefire during the Nigerian civil war.

A fearless man who gave IBB sleepless nights.

A man who brought the idea of the Road Safety Corps.

A man who co-founded the Pyrate Confraternity to fight for the rights of students on campus

A man who got a death sentence in absentia for being an unrepentant critic of the Abacha regime.

A man who was the loudest at criticizing Olusegun Obasanjo.

A man who has always spoken for the masses

This is a man that knows what we are saying.

Ojukwu that made children lost their parents and parents lost their children but couldn't loss his life for what he started and what he believed in.

WE ARE JUST TOO BLIND IN THIS COUNTRY.
So if u were born a yoruba man, Awolowo would hv been an hero on ur list and OJukwu won't have. U can see our level of reasoning.
When u don't think right, u can't live right.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by Blaqsmith(m): 10:33am On Oct 01, 2014
redcliff:

Why are you angry? Our conversation has not gotten to that point.. cheesy
Apologies if I sound harsh...

Stay cool.
Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by poweredcom(m): 10:35am On Oct 01, 2014
quid:
^ is he a nigerian?
first of all do u know lexington steele? Haha he aint nigerian...oo but dats my mentor
Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by Tarteenah: 10:37am On Oct 01, 2014
Mama Ekundayo

Gani fawehimi

Funsho Williams
Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by berrystunn(m): 10:37am On Oct 01, 2014
Blaqsmith:
West,South,North,East...

^^they make the world.

Awolowo did his part within his immediate jurisdiction.
What was others like,Ojukwu,ahmadu Bello and the rest doing?

I wanna know!

IS NOT ONE NIGERIA RIGHT?
Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by amAZEing: 10:39am On Oct 01, 2014
Simkreative: Abacha
U might call him the tyrant

But he is the true independence hero. He ignorantly gave Nigeria freedom from caliphate of sokoto in 1996

*AbAcHA*

The greatest HOS Nigeria ever had.
Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by benjsniper33: 10:41am On Oct 01, 2014
tonychristopher:

Awolowo never had anything to do with Nigerian standards but Yoruba standard...his legacy was to bestow tribalism

In a bid to catch up with igbos on education he introduced quantitative free education

Then out of depression he died a sad man

Rat poisoning and suicide
His widow has been insulted over and over by his tribes men

Now there is impostor trying to mimicking him tinubu

hey kid, you aint making any sense, this thread is not for spewing hate, it for honouring heroes who were commited to the advancement of the peoples of nigeria be it for the hausas, igbos or yorubas.
You can hate but pls carry ur wares to another market.

NEEEEXXTTTT.........!
Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by Amadaz(m): 10:44am On Oct 01, 2014
Austin jay jay okocha
Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by Nobody: 10:44am On Oct 01, 2014
PeetaBishop: mine is Abubakar Shekau

very funny but i forgot to laugh!!!!
Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by Blaqsmith(m): 10:46am On Oct 01, 2014
berrystunn:

IS NOT ONE NIGERIA RIGHT?
One Nigeria in diversity.
Diversity in One Nigeria.

That oxymoron is comprehensible enough for u to understand my stance.
Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by amAZEing: 10:47am On Oct 01, 2014
0merta: "Awolowo was a leader of great Stature. He was a Leader who was eminently successful. That he did not fulfill a presidential ambition cannot detract from his leadership, and us, poor us, who were not his people, must continue, to regret that our own leaders (Nnamdi Azikiwe, Michael Okpara) had not led us as he did his people or achieved for us as he did for his people..."

- Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu (Because I am involved - 1998)

On The Marble

1 Like

Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by amAZEing: 10:53am On Oct 01, 2014
On The Marble

0merta: "As a leader of the modern cast, Awolowo has left Nigeria standards which are indelible, standards beside which future aspirants to public leadership can be eternally measured. He was firm, articulate, painstaking, and uncompromising. He was, for a long time, the only Nigerian leader who enunciated principles and played down personalities. He was a brilliant political administrator and a most erudite teacher. He not only identified himself wholly with the aspirations of the Yoruba people of Nigeria but also he was able to convince the Yoruba people of Nigeria that he and only he epitomized the highest point of their political aspirations and consciousness. He was loved, he was feared but above all he belonged to the people he professed to lead. At his death I had the singular honour of proposing for him the epitaph that has endured – ‘he was the best President that Nigeria never had’..."

- Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu (1987)

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by DonDiego(m): 10:55am On Oct 01, 2014
Haba blos. Ndigbo have always asked for melit since 1914. And it has arways favoured us when melit is the main criterion. I still wonder why hall the yorubas who can't deal with competition halways react the way you just did when they hare given an halternative view.
Steadmann:

Yeah,

When it favours your people, it's MELIT.

I got it.

Cheers.
Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by Kay17: 10:57am On Oct 01, 2014
The funny thing is the so called National heroes were always bickering cowards. Awolowo couldn't stand against the Military, too much of a coward. Same with Ojukwu. Ahmadu Bello was a plain hearted tribalist and Islamist. They all lacked vision, they couldn't see beyond their doorsteps.
Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by berrystunn(m): 10:58am On Oct 01, 2014
Blaqsmith:
One Nigeria in diversity.
Diversity in One Nigeria.

That oxymoron is comprehensible enough for u to understand my stance.

For me Obafemi Awolowo is convergent evolution (Vulture).
Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by Damiruth: 11:00am On Oct 01, 2014
Fela Anikulapo Kuti
Sanni Abacha
Dora Akuyili
Me Myself
Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by koolg: 11:01am On Oct 01, 2014
Blaqsmith: Chief Obafemi Awolowo.

A true hero who proposed and propounded the practical of FREE education in Nigeria and worked towards its implementation.

And for the present ones...make I still dey think.

oga. propose and propound is one and the same word
Re: Who Is Your Nigeria Hero: Past And Present? by Nobody: 11:02am On Oct 01, 2014
DonDiego:
Haba blos. Ndigbo have always asked for melit since 1914. And it has arways favoured us when melit is the main criterion. I still wonder why hall the yorubas who can't deal with competition halways react the way you just did when they hare given an halternative view.

Hahahahahahahahahahaha

You are good.

You made me laugh.

I concur Bro.

Cheers.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Truck Crushes Man's Car In Calabar, As He Goes To Ease Himself Inside Bush / Young Man Poses Inside A Casket (Photo) / Okada Man Carrying Goats In Onitsha

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.