Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,888 members, 7,851,990 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 11:15 AM

Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... - Culture (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... (44224 Views)

Your Intelligence Is Needed Here / Utter Ridiculous.. There Is Education And Then There Is Enlightenment / Your Votes Are Needed Here: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by Ihuomadinihu: 3:46pm On Oct 24, 2014
bigfrancis21:

A lifelong experience of over 10 years isn't isolated after all, right? smiley
And others experiences are isolated,right. My experience is isolated too? You must be living in an odd world.
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by bigfrancis21: 3:47pm On Oct 24, 2014
Ihuomadinihu:

You have a problem,honestly.
Actors from southern Igboland don't necessarily do Igbo movies.
Perhaps,that why you feel NCI is the default dialect in movies. Chai.

So you're indirectly admitting that Nollywood is run by mostly Anambra people, thus confirming one of the beliefs of the Yoruba OP about Anambra people, right? smiley
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by bigfrancis21: 3:48pm On Oct 24, 2014
I'm glad I'm finally getting somewhere. *All smiles*
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by Ihuomadinihu: 3:50pm On Oct 24, 2014
bigfrancis21:

Oh, he already does. From prior exposure to watching Nollywood Igbo movies acted in NCI, to listening to Osadebe, Oliver D' Coque, Flavour, Phyno, Mike Ejeagha, Chinedu Iwuozor etc. Speaking it wouldn't be a problem for him. smiley
I think that is why you get it wrong. How many people watch these people. How many people are interested in speaking it or can actually fully understand it
You over exaggerating the place of your dialect in Imo/Abia/Ebonyi states.
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by Ihuomadinihu: 3:53pm On Oct 24, 2014
bigfrancis21:

So you're indirectly admitting that Nollywood is run by mostly Anambra people, thus confirming one of the beliefs of the Yoruba OP about Anambra people, right? smiley
Don't be silly,what don't you understand. How many of those actors are A-list actors? Southern Actors don't necessarily feature in Igbo movies.
It's hard to reason with a stupid man!
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by bigfrancis21: 3:53pm On Oct 24, 2014
Ihuomadinihu:

I think that is why you get it wrong. How many people watch these people. How many people are interested in speaking it or can actually fully understand it
You over exaggerating the place of your dialect in Imo/Abia/Ebonyi states.

Hahaha. Jumping from exposure to interest in speaking of which I've encountered many who like to speak it. Yes, some, not all, are interested in speaking it. For example, Geraldine Ekeocha (nwanyi owerri) that speaks NCI in Igbo movies. smiley
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by Ihuomadinihu: 3:56pm On Oct 24, 2014
bigfrancis21:

Hahaha. Jumping from exposure to interest in speaking of which I've encountered many who like to speak it. Yes, some, not all, are interested in speaking it. For example, Geraldine Ekeocha (nwanyi owerri) that speaks NCI in Igbo movies. smiley

Ekeocha speaks it and it suddenly makes you feel more special and the rest become bushy and unclassy. Ekeocha is an exception. Wait for the other non Southerners to speak it first before you write rubbish.
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by bigfrancis21: 3:57pm On Oct 24, 2014
Ihuomadinihu:

Don't be silly,what don't you understand. How many of those actors are A-list actors? Southern Actors don't necessarily feature in Igbo movies.
It's hard to reason with a stupid man!

The same Nollywood English segment that's dominated by actors from Northern Igboland? The same Igbo language actors (mostly from Anambra according to you) that act English movies as well? Where then are the southerners well-represented in?

Stop giving excuses for the lack of visible presence or marks of SCI or southern Igbo in Nollywood. It's pitiful.
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by adusim: 3:58pm On Oct 24, 2014
bigfrancis21:

My friend, shut up with this your d*ck measuring contest! Imo/Abia people just don't like Anambra people and want nothing to do with them! That is a fact, take it or leave it. If you want separate and create a new ethnic group called 'Anambra' and see who will care! Personally, I can't stand you people and feel absolutely no kinship with you and your kind whatsoever.

1 Like

Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by bigfrancis21: 4:00pm On Oct 24, 2014
adusim:

My friend, shut up with this your d*ck measuring contest! Imo/Abia people just don't like Anambra people and want nothing to do with them! That is a fact, take it or leave it. If you want separate and create a new ethnic group called 'Anambra' and see who will care! Personally, I can't stand you people and feel absolutely no kinship with you and your kind whatsoever.

@bold...overcome your hate for Anambra people. Hate leads you nowhere but love does.
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by Ihuomadinihu: 4:04pm On Oct 24, 2014
bigfrancis21:

The same Nollywood English segment that's dominated by actors from Northern Igboland? The same Igbo language actors (mostly from Anambra according to you) that act English movies as well? Where then are the southerners well-represented in?

Stop giving excuses for the lack of visible presence or marks of SCI or southern Igbo in Nollywood. It's pitiful.
Lol, those southerners do the English movies and am yet to see the ones on my list speak NCI.
You have been pinned down, you are obviously picking random things to cover your erorrs.
You said it's the default dialect.....it is not, actors are not compelled or forced to speak it.
You talked about some southerners that do......and i gave you instances which you overlooked....people acquire dialects by interacting with speakers of that dialect.
You talked about majority NCI films and i said majority NCIs tend to get involved in them.
Choo a another point,biko.
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by bigfrancis21: 4:18pm On Oct 24, 2014
Ihuomadinihu:

Lol, those southerners do the English movies and am yet to see the ones on my list speak NCI.
You have been pinned down, you are obviously picking random things to cover your erorrs.
You said it's the default dialect.....it is not, actors are not compelled or forced to speak it.
You talked about some southerners that do......and i gave you instances which you overlooked....people acquire dialects by interacting with speakers of that dialect.
You talked about majority NCI films and i said majority NCIs tend to get involved in them.
Choo a another point,biko.

Do you realize we're finally getting somewhere? That I've actually taught you and made you realize some things about your plain ignorance? That initially you claimed central Igbo was Nollywood's default not NCI and now you've switched to NCI being the defualt because most Igbo language movie actors are from NI!

If it is not the default then tell me why it is spoken? Isn't Igbo Izugbe supposed to be the default dialect used to communicate among all Igbo people? Why isn't Igbo Izugbe not spoken in Nollywood movies? Why is NCI being used instead? Aren't Anambra people well exposed to central Igbo, at least from learning it in schools to listening to Igbo language programs on TV and radio? Why do they choose to speak their dialects in their movies instead and require non NCI-speakers to follow suit (Geraldine Ekeocha, Chiege Alisigwe, Camilia Mberekpe. Growing up in NI doesn't force them to speak NCI)?

Please answer me succinctly. This is the umpteenth time I'm posing to you a question. It is my utmost expectation that you give me a cogent answer this time. I take Osanobwa beg you.
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by Ihuomadinihu: 4:24pm On Oct 24, 2014
You are being unteachable indeed. I don't know if you except Pete Edochie or Uche Obodo to speak Mbaise in movies? Now to Igbo izugbe, if these two appear in a movie,there are more likely to speak NCI. Anyother person unfamilar with NCI or SCI(Ikwerre) can speak izugbe. It is a standard dialect. Both SCI and NCI can use Igbo Izugbe if they wish to.Now, if a SCI joins the movie, he is expected to speak in SCI. NCI is not the default dialect, it is not legally compulsory for actors to speak it, even he/she is not familiar with it.
I don't know where it was writen that Camilla and Alisigwe were forced to speak NCI or SCI. Both have been exposed to NCI, so they have the right to use any.
People state their facts and opinions it becomes irrelevant to you, and you want me to answer a stupid egocentric question that has been trashed severally. It almost like asking me why Ezuruonye and Emeka speak SCI in their movies.....na wa o.
I did not even say NCI was default, i said NCI and SCI are the two recognized dialectal types, but you feel NCI is default cos more NCI seem to feature in Igbo movies.
You interprete dialectal usage as more special and classier than others. That is a characteristics of a bunkum indeed.
Least i forget, Igbo Izugbe is more SCI. There are communities that speak dialects similar to it. At the end of the day, actors speak what they are familiar with.
1Royalty nonesense/Nri stuff.....trashed.
2 Default dialect rubbish....trashed
3 Opinion poll whatever.....go and look for the results and come back.
4 General Igbo identity....trashed
5 Marriage.....subjective/exceptions
I don't know why you are hanging on and protecting your self-indulgence/errors.
For your viewing pleasure:
https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=10688255&l=e892af1ea4&id=127503268408
Nonesense!
https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=9478855&l=89b8c01004&id=127503268408
Sorry, look for credible results before pasting polls.
Ndi Igbo have spoken!
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by adusim: 4:47pm On Oct 24, 2014
bigfrancis21:

@bold...overcome your hate for Anambra people. Hate leads you nowhere but love does.

Hate is such a strong word, which I did not use. I just expressed how much I don't feel you people, that's all. smiley

1 Like

Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by bigfrancis21: 8:05pm On Oct 24, 2014
Ihuomadinihu:
[s]You are being unteachable indeed. I don't know if you except Pete Edochie or Uche Obodo to speak Mbaise in movies? Now to Igbo izugbe, if these two appear in a movie,there are more likely to speak NCI. Anyother person unfamilar with NCI or SCI(Ikwerre) can speak izugbe. It is a standard dialect. Both SCI and NCI can use Igbo Izugbe if they wish to.Now, if a SCI joins the movie, he is expected to speak in SCI. NCI is not the default dialect, it is not legally compulsory for actors to speak it, even he/she is not familiar with it.
I don't know where it was writen that Camilla and Alisigwe were forced to speak NCI or SCI. Both have been exposed to NCI, so they have the right to use any.
People state their facts and opinions it becomes irrelevant to you, and you want me to answer a stupid egocentric question that has been trashed severally. It almost like asking me why Ezuruonye and Emeka speak SCI in their movies.....na wa o.
I did not even say NCI was default, i said NCI and SCI are the two recognized dialectal types, but you feel NCI is default cos more NCI seem to feature in Igbo movies.
You interprete dialectal usage as more special and classier than others. That is a characteristics of a bunkum indeed.
Least i forget, Igbo Izugbe is more SCI. There are communities that speak dialects similar to it. At the end of the day, actors speak what they are familiar with.
1Royalty nonesense/Nri stuff.....trashed.
2 Default dialect rubbish....trashed
3 Opinion poll whatever.....go and look for the results and come back.
4 General Igbo identity....trashed
5 Marriage.....subjective/exceptions
I don't know why you are hanging on and protecting your self-indulgence/errors.[/s]
For your viewing pleasure:
https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=10688255&l=e892af1ea4&id=127503268408
Nonesense!
https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=9478855&l=89b8c01004&id=127503268408
Sorry, look for credible results before pasting polls.
Ndi Igbo have spoken!

@strikethrough...total balderash. You're just giving useless reasons as to why NCI is used instead of central Igbo, which is supposed to be the 'all in all' according to you. Why are non-NCIs expected to speak NCI? Can't NCIs be required to speak SCI or CI instead? After all many actors that act Igbo movies come from different sections of Igboland and CI is supposed to be used amongst themselves yet they all frequently revert to NCI. Nothing stops NCI speakers from speaking SCI or CI just the same way the vice versa is the case. It's just the same way the typical English speaker expects the french, spanish or portuguese speaker to speak English to him and not the English speaker speaking Portuguese, French or Spanish to him. If I asked you the reason, you'd tell me 'oh what else do you want him to speak?'. What stops the English speaker from speaking Portuguese, French, Spanish just the same way they speak his language? I'm sure you know the answer but you wouldn't admit it due to a massive ego. You're just trying to belittle the significance of NCI in Nollywood.

While modern day Igbo people come from different origins, Nri remains the progenitor of some Igbo clans. That's the truth. You don't have to agree with me.

Oh yes, NCI is still the default dialect spoken. Not SCI, not CI. You did not thrash anything but unwillingly and finally accepted that it is majorly used in Nollywood Igbo movies. That's all I wanted to hear from you. Your acceptance of this basic fact has been the bone of contention since page 2 or 3 of this thread. Whether majority of the actors are from NI or not that's totally irrelevant because they all have the option to use CI instead but NCI preferably remains used in Igbo movies.
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by bigfrancis21: 8:07pm On Oct 24, 2014
adusim:

Hate is such a strong word, which I did not use. I just expressed how much I don't feel you people, that's all. smiley

That's your personal view and hatred towards Anambra people and it isn't reflective of every southerner. Don't generalize for everyone when it's just you that's the hater.

1 Like

Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by Ihuomadinihu: 8:15pm On Oct 24, 2014
bigfrancis21:

@strikethrough...total balderash. You're just giving useless reasons as to why NCI is used instead of central Igbo, which is supposed to be the 'all in all' according to you. Why are non-NCIs expected to speak NCI? Can't NCIs be required to speak SCI or CI instead? After all many actors that act Igbo movies come from different sections of Igboland and CI is supposed to be used amongst themselves yet they all frequently revert to NCI. Nothing stops NCI speakers from speaking SCI or CI just the same way the vice versa is the case. It's just the same way the typical English speaker expects the french, spanish or portuguese speaker to speak English to him and not the English speaker speaking Portuguese, French or Spanish to him. If I asked you the reason, you'd tell me 'oh what else do you want him to speak?'. What stops the English speaker from speaking Portuguese, French, Spanish just the same way they speak his language? I'm sure you know the answer but you wouldn't admit it due to a massive ego. You're just trying to belittle the significance of NCI in Nollywood.

While modern day Igbo people come from different origins, Nri remains the progenitor of some Igbo clans. That's the truth. You don't have to agree with me.

Oh yes, NCI is still the default dialect spoken. Not SCI, not CI. You did not thrash anything but unwillingly and finally accepted that it is majorly used in Nollywood Igbo movies. That's all I wanted to hear from you. Your acceptance of this basic fact has been the bone of contention since page 2 or 3 of this thread. Whether majority of the actors are from NI or not that's totally irrelevant because they all have the option to use CI instead but NCI preferably remains used in Igbo movies.

Go and rest! Everyone on this thread know you are only 'saving face'....that is pathetic.
I have supplied your answers and poll results. Everything has been TRASHED! What happened to the poll results, Mr special dialect?
You are only dragging this dialect stuff to make up for your mistakes done with excessive speed and urgency . Other Anambra pple came here and said you were wrong and that your post was divisive. But you kept on ranting!
Nri is an Igbo subgroup, yes!
It is not the progenitor of Igbos outside the North,people in the South do not know what it is. So that point is invalid!

Nollywood is now your permanent determinant?
Mba! NCI is spoken by NCI actors, SCI actors feel comfortable in SCI.
SCI ACTORS ARE NOT EXPECTED TO SPEAK NCI. NO ONE ASPIRES TO SPEAK IT WHEN YOU CAN EASILY ACT WITH SCI!
No actor is expected/pushed to speak a dialect he can't speak, unless you have situations like Queens. You are stupid if you can't understand this.
Shut the hell up!

2 Likes

Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 9:01pm On Oct 24, 2014
bigfrancis21:

Thanks for just pointing that fact out to your cohort who claimed initially that Nollywood was run by southern Igboland! grin

Bunch of false claims and lies from two of you.

taaaa. they are more imo people, am sure .actors, directors, story writers, and other parts of the crew.
Stop capitalizing on the fact he does know that aspect.
By the way when he said Northern Igbo, its Enugu, anambra, Ebonyi, before you think NCI is = anambra.
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by Ihuomadinihu: 9:03pm On Oct 24, 2014
[quote author=InyinyaAgbaOku post=2
Northern Igbo, its Enugu, anambra, before you think NCI is = anambra.[/quote]
Lol.

1 Like

Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 9:04pm On Oct 24, 2014
[quote author=Ihuomadinihu post=27423841][/quote]

can't you see he has rushed to claim NCI is anambra immediately.
That guy is hilarious.

1 Like

Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by bigfrancis21: 12:31am On Oct 25, 2014
Ihuomadinihu:

Go and rest! Everyone on this thread know you are only 'saving face'....that is pathetic.
I have supplied your answers and poll results. Everything has been TRASHED! What happened to the poll results, Mr special dialect?
You are only dragging this dialect stuff to make up for your mistakes done with excessive speed and urgency . Other Anambra pple came here and said you were wrong and that your post was divisive. But you kept on ranting!
Nri is an Igbo subgroup, yes!
It is not the progenitor of Igbos outside the North,people in the South do not know what it is. So that point is invalid!

Nollywood is now your permanent determinant?
Mba! NCI is spoken by NCI actors, SCI actors feel comfortable in SCI.
SCI ACTORS ARE NOT EXPECTED TO SPEAK NCI. NO ONE ASPIRES TO SPEAK IT WHEN YOU CAN EASILY ACT WITH SCI!
No actor is expected/pushed to speak a dialect he can't speak, unless you have situations like Queens. You are stupid if you can't understand this.
Shut the hell up!

You're finally towing the insult path? You're not even doing it well. Rayven did hers way much better than you. You must have been really hurt and feel defeated. I don't play the 'save face' card. It's obvious you're the one trying to save face after shifting stances so many times.

You finally accepted NCI is majorly used and spoken in Igbo movies regardless. That's all that matters to me.

You've also realized the actual place of CI in Igboland. It isn't as mighty as you had been wavering in the beginning.

I thrashed out all your lies which you made up to support your banal views. I've stood my ground for the past 3 days while you've shifted stances severally. You're simply not credible and a man of your words. You're the one trying to save your face by typing out long epistles that mean nothing.

I do hope that when you meet other Anambra people out there who feel their dialect is special, I hope you'd have the guts to stand up to them in real life than over a faceless forum. I bet you wouldn't.

Several books and articles have it that Nri is the progenitor of the Igbo race. Personally, I believe that modern day Igbo people came from different places at different points in time. Personally, I am from the lineage of UmuNri but I don't lord the so-called history over other Igbos though the fact that I am Nri-descended makes me feel special at times.

I am a man of my words. My experiences led me to where I am and what I'm saying today. Petty epistles of yours over a faceless forum don't mean a thing to me. Like I told you I'll keep repeating this fact again and again: Anambra dialect remains the easiest to understand in Igboland, easily understood and spoken by others, used more commonly in Igbo Nollywood by NCI and non-NCI speakers alike, and non-NCI speakers love to speak it. My secondary school Igbo teacher from Anambra state attracted more students to her class than her Imo state counterpart simply because of her accent and students loved listening to her. In the secondary school I was posted to for service, my students always pushed me to speak NCI to them. One of their teachers is from Anambra state and when she discusses with her colleagues I noticed they all tried to speak like her instead of her trying to speak like them. One of them even did her secondary school in Onitsha but from Imo and she tries to speak her native dialect but she has the Onitsha tongue already. People just love the Anambra dialect. All these little little daily occurrences that happen frequently within Igboland and are experiences I've had spanning from over 10 years in Imo land. My mind is concrete and made-up. Bro, this is my opinion formed from over the years and I'll tell anybody who cares to ask all these. Quit trying to force your opinions on me. It's just not working.

The OP can visit Igboland, spend sometime and see things for herself. It's that simple.

I'm surprised you didn't counter that part of my first post that says many high-profile Igbo indigenes making waves in Nigeria and abroad tend to come from Anambra state.

Anambra is just a great state and her people are great people and denizens of Igboland. Anambra I come from and I'll come from again in future lives.
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by bigfrancis21: 12:42am On Oct 25, 2014
InyinyaAgbaOku:

taaaa. they are more imo people, am sure .actors, directors, story writers, and other parts of the crew.
Stop capitalizing on the fact he does know that aspect.
By the way when he said Northern Igbo, its Enugu, anambra, Ebonyi, before you think NCI is = anambra.

InyinyaAgbaOku:

can't you see he has rushed to claim NCI is anambra immediately.
That guy is hilarious.

Don't you think I knew that already when he mentioned that most Nollywood Igbo actors are from NI and hence must speak NCI and I corrected him by mentioning the Owohs and Mike Okonkwo who are from NI(Nsukka/Ezeagu in Enugu state) who have very different dialects from general NCI but speak NCI instead?

As for the Imo actors, stop making up facts that you're not sure of. Your cohort already admitted, though unknowingly after being barraged with facts, that most Nollywood Igbo actors are from NI. Prove yourself by showing us list of names. That's what matters. The majority of Nollywood production today takes place at Upper Iweka Onitsha and Alaba Intl Market Lagos run mostly by Anambra boys and distribution and marketing take place in Ogbor Hill, Aba. Watch the advertisement or introduction part of any random nollywood movie and see for yourself. Even majority locations shot in Igboland are done in Asaba or Enugu (both NI). How can you not know this.
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by ChinenyeN(m): 1:47am On Oct 25, 2014
I'm not sure what it is you people are even discussing, but I'm just going to go on ahead and address a few things I saw.

Igbo Izugbe is in simple terms a literary standard. It is the current lgbo literary standard following a successive line of failures. Izugbe is claimed to have been constructed using words and morphological structures that were the most common in the Igbo ethnolonguistic region. The aim was to succeed where prior standardization attempts failed. Izugbe was to be as all-encompassing as possible, hence why it is named Izugbe (roughly translated as all). However, Izugbe in simple terms is not all-encompassing, as many Igbo lects, both at the fringe and within the heartland cannot find representation within Izugbe, save for general rudimentary expressions shared throughout the region.

In a short and oversimplified description, Izugbe mimics the morphology of some northern lects, but with more southern voicing (ie. Izugbe has a preference for h as opposed to f and r as opposed to l, etc.). Izugbe also mimics northern voicing by neglecting altogether the contrastive feature of nasals and aspirants; a feature that is very prominent among southern lects. Izugbe also adheres strictly to the rules of vowel harmony. Beyond that, Izugbe every now and again picks terminology from various lects to supplement its lexicon.

In all of this, it cannot be emphasized enough that Izugbe is a literary standard. It is neither NCI (North Central Igbo) nor SCI (Southern Central Igbo). NCI and SCI are separate from Izugbe in that they are spoken, urbanized standards. Izugbe is not derived from one or the other and was not necessarily created by combining the two. What Izugbe primarily has in common with NCI and SCI is that none are representative of the local, indigenous lects. Also note [Important!], NCI & SCI is not use to denote any people. There are no "NCI people" or "SCI people" (no such thing as an "NCI" or "SCI" actor). The terminology, NCI & SCI, is used solely to refer to the spoken standards within urban centers.

1 Like

Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by bigfrancis21: 3:12am On Oct 25, 2014
ChinenyeN:
I'm not sure what it is you people are even discussing, but I'm just going to go on ahead and address a few things I saw.

Igbo Izugbe is in simple terms a literary standard. It is the current lgbo literary standard following a successive line of failures. Izugbe is claimed to have been constructed using words and morphological structures that were the most common in the Igbo ethnolonguistic region. The aim was to succeed where prior standardization attempts failed. Izugbe was to be as all-encompassing as possible, hence why it is named Izugbe (roughly translated as all). However, Izugbe in simple terms is not all-encompassing, as many Igbo lects, both at the fringe and within the heartland cannot find representation within Izugbe, save for general rudimentary expressions shared throughout the region.

In a short and oversimplified description, Izugbe mimics the morphology of some northern lects, but with more southern voicing (ie. Izugbe has a preference for h as opposed to f and r as opposed to l, etc.). Izugbe also mimics northern voicing by neglecting altogether the contrastive feature of nasals and aspirants; a feature that is very prominent among southern lects. Izugbe also adheres strictly to the rules of vowel harmony. Beyond that, Izugbe every now and again picks terminology from various lects to supplement its lexicon.

In all of this, it cannot be emphasized enough that Izugbe is a literary standard. It is neither NCI (North Central Igbo) nor SCI (Southern Central Igbo). NCI and SCI are separate from Izugbe in that they are spoken, urbanized standards. Izugbe is not derived from one or the other and was not necessarily created by combining the two. What Izugbe primarily has in common with NCI and SCI is that none are representative of the local, indigenous lects. Also note [Important!], NCI & SCI is not use to denote any people. There are no "NCI people" or "SCI people" (no such thing as an "NCI" or "SCI" actor). The terminology, NCI & SCI, is used solely to refer to the spoken standards within urban centers.

For once you and I are agreeing on an issue, despite being at loggerheads in the past. Lol.

Igbo Izugbe is just a literary standard. It's what I tried to pass on to him initially but he kept wielding it as superior just because it was adopted as Standard Igbo. From observation, it's usage has been strictly restricted to mostly literature and news broadcast sessions.

Another important fact that you pointed out was the all-encompassing feature of Igbo Izugbe (II) from both North and Southern Igbo which they would rather allude to it being mostly from the south yet southern dialects clearly sound different from II - every Igbo understands II but not everybody understands all southern Igbo dialects, a great pointer to an actual difference in II and SCI.

Sure, there's nothing like NCI and SCI actors. I chose to use 'NCI' in preference to 'Anambra dialect' because I noticed the sensitivity being attached to 'Anambra dialect'. NCI sounded less 'special' and 'superior' in attributes and I used it instead. Of course, I'm aware that there are various dialects within Anambra and Onitsha isn't reflective of the whole Anambra but I refer to Onicha mostly when I mention 'Anambra dialect' or 'NCI' because that's the dialect that readily comes to most people's mind when you mention 'Anambra dialect', not Awka, or Nnewi etc.
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by InyinyaAgbaOku(m): 4:02am On Oct 25, 2014
bigfrancis21:

Don't you think I knew that already when he mentioned that most Nollywood Igbo actors are from NI and hence must speak NCI and I corrected him by mentioning the Owohs and Mike Okonkwo who are from NI(Nsukka/Ezeagu in Enugu state) who have very different dialects from general NCI but speak NCI instead?

As for the Imo actors, stop making up facts that you're not sure of. Your cohort already admitted, though unknowingly after being barraged with facts, that most Nollywood Igbo actors are from NI. Prove yourself by showing us list of names. That's what matters. The majority of Nollywood production today takes place at Upper Iweka Onitsha and Alaba Intl Market Lagos run mostly by Anambra boys and distribution and marketing take place in Ogbor Hill, Aba. Watch the advertisement or introduction part of any random nollywood movie and see for yourself. Even majority locations shot in Igboland are done in Asaba or Enugu (both NI). How can you not know this.

Bigfrancis, I had long finished with you. Take the answer to this point from all I have Been been saying cos am not droning on nollywood. I have addressed your first post and that's all I came here for.
Summary: nobody wows at your dialect as you made it seem, not as much as people wow at imo dialects .
Again, you still don't know whether my mum is from anambra, and to think radiollo here doesn't agree with you totally, and he is from awka, so its really wack talking about some random anambra hate.
Always take criticisms as they come and don't read bizarre meanings to them.
Have a nice day

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by Ihuomadinihu: 5:49am On Oct 25, 2014
bigfrancis21:

You're finally towing the insult path? You're not even doing it well. Rayven did hers way much better than you. You must have been really hurt and feel defeated. I don't play the 'save face' card. It's obvious you're the one trying to save face after shifting stances so many times.

You finally accepted NCI is majorly used and spoken in Igbo movies regardless. That's all that matters to me.

You've also realized the actual place of CI in Igboland. It isn't as mighty as you had been wavering in the beginning.

I thrashed out all your lies which you made up to support your banal views. I've stood my ground for the past 3 days while you've shifted stances severally. You're simply not credible and a man of your words. You're the one trying to save your face by typing out long epistles that mean nothing.

I do hope that when you meet other Anambra people out there who feel their dialect is special, I hope you'd have the guts to stand up to them in real life than over a faceless forum. I bet you wouldn't.

Several books and articles have it that Nri is the progenitor of the Igbo race. Personally, I believe that modern day Igbo people came from different places at different points in time. Personally, I am from the lineage of UmuNri but I don't lord the so-called history over other Igbos though the fact that I am Nri-descended makes me feel special at times.

I am a man of my words. My experiences led me to where I am and what I'm saying today. Petty epistles of yours over a faceless forum don't mean a thing to me. Like I told you I'll keep repeating this fact again and again: Anambra dialect remains the easiest to understand in Igboland, easily understood and spoken by others, used more commonly in Igbo Nollywood by NCI and non-NCI speakers alike, and non-NCI speakers love to speak it. My secondary school Igbo teacher from Anambra state attracted more students to her class than her Imo state counterpart simply because of her accent and students loved listening to her. In the secondary school I was posted to for service, my students always pushed me to speak NCI to them. One of their teachers is from Anambra state and when she discusses with her colleagues I noticed they all tried to speak like her instead of her trying to speak like them. One of them even did her secondary school in Onitsha but from Imo and she tries to speak her native dialect but she has the Onitsha tongue already. People just love the Anambra dialect. All these little little daily occurrences that happen frequently within Igboland and are experiences I've had spanning from over 10 years in Imo land. My mind is concrete and made-up. Bro, this is my opinion formed from over the years and I'll tell anybody who cares to ask all these. Quit trying to force your opinions on me. It's just not working.

The OP can visit Igboland, spend sometime and see things for herself. It's that simple.

I'm surprised you didn't counter that part of my first post that says many high-profile Igbo indigenes making waves in Nigeria and abroad tend to come from Anambra state.

Anambra is just a great state and her people are great people and denizens of Igboland. Anambra I come from and I'll come from again in future lives.
You still have not made any point clear. What exactly makes other Igbos give you more attention and respect? You still jump around from Nri to your dialect. That is just self-aggrandizement.
You have not come up with anything other than,your dialect is spoken in movies. What exactly do you want Pete edochie & Oge Okoye to speak in movies. Igbo movies where NCI dominates. What do you want major Idoma actors to speak in movies? You must be a dimwit for not reasoning like an intellectual.
There is a difference bwt Chinenye and I. Chineye has only lectured you on the difference bwt NCI,SCI and Igbo izugbe.
There is absolutely nothing that makes you more special than others cos you come from Anambra,it's all in your head. You have been psychologically wired to think everything about you is liked and respected. That's a hot lie.
I find it hard to believe that a modern Igbo man stands up to lecture others that he's state is more special than the rest of Igbo land. Chinua Achebe that is 100 times bigger than you, older, more intelligent has never made such a foolish comment. He tried so much to promote the igbo identity. He was the one that suggested that Igbo izugbe should be abondoned and that no dialect is better than the other. He also made it clear that we should revert back to our individual dialects!
You place too much emphasis on your dialect, have you interviewed every one in Imo/Abia/Ebonyi. But you quickly pasted a link,cos you saw few people picking your dialect.
At the end of the day, i submitted credible results of Owerri being picked as the SWEETEST AND SEXIEST dialect.
No amount of your teacher's, friend and your experience will change that result.

1 Like

Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by Ihuomadinihu: 6:13am On Oct 25, 2014
Just accept that your so called dialect is OVER-RATED in your head. People don't supposedly respect one on the grounds of dialect. That is a trashy point of view.
I think your idea of superiority actually stems from Nri not even dialect.
Nri is just a part of the Igbo nation.there were original Igbo people on ground before Nri came. I believe Rodillo has already pointed that out a long time ago.
Nri cannot leave Anambra state and come to Owerri or Arochukwu to make noise. What happens in Nri stays in Nri, they are not more royal than any other person in igboland.
You just keep hanging on to dialect,dialect,dialect! I expected better reasons and points. You only huff and puff about dialect.
You are yet to make a reasonable impression on this thread. No amount of epistle or arguement will correct your foolishness. For your information,no one is hurt. Arguements and correction of irrational opinions does not make one hurt. You are one that has been indulging in supremacist claims,insults, accussations,character assasination and irrelevant opinions.
I wonder how you feel when you write that your opinion is valid and others' opinion are null. Does that show you are educated? Education is not about about writing an epistle on nairaland,but being rational both in deeds,thoughts and actions; and getting involved in reasonable arguements without calling others bitter and bukum to suit your brash point of view.
Too bad!
You have lost points and you probably want to shift to personality comparisons. I wouldn't give you that satisfaction. That is too cheap and low,all igbo areas have produced great men are women that have advanced the Igbo race.
As far as i can recall,you are the one trying to force your opinion on others, it is not working.
This gives people a glimpse of how Biafra would have looked like. Looking for cheap reasons to make you feel better than others.

You must be ashamed of yourself!

2 Likes

Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by Ihuomadinihu: 6:33am On Oct 25, 2014
ChinenyeN:

Maybe you don't understand. Let me tell you.
This thread is soley based on the idea that Anambra is better and more special than other Igbos. Initially he listed random lies but he is sticking to two.
1. People pick up his dialect and it becomes special. It becomes the classiest and posh igbo dialect. The rest are bushy dialects. This is his reason:
''andnot be regarded as ajepako unlike compared to some concentrated Igbo dialects which when spoken Igbos around you will immediately regard you as 'bush person', i.e 'onye ime obodo''.
What exactly is the meaning of that nonesense? Is this not an unfavourable opinion formed before hand without thought and reason. Who in Igboland does not think highly of his dialect?
2. Nri makes him feel more royal than others.
If this is not delusion on the highest scale,then i don't know what it is.
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by Ihuomadinihu: 9:11am On Oct 25, 2014
bigfrancis21:

For once you and I are agreeing on an issue, despite being at loggerheads in the past. Lol.

Igbo Izugbe is just a literary standard. It's what I tried to pass on to him initially but he kept wielding it as superior just because it was adopted as Standard Igbo. From observation, it's usage has been strictly restricted to mostly literature and news broadcast sessions.

Another important fact that you pointed out was the all-encompassing feature of Igbo Izugbe (II) from both North and Southern Igbo which they would rather allude to it being mostly from the south yet southern dialects clearly sound different from II - every Igbo understands II but not everybody understands all southern Igbo dialects, a great pointer to an actual difference in II and SCI.

Sure, there's nothing like NCI and SCI actors. I chose to use 'NCI' in preference to 'Anambra dialect' because I noticed the sensitivity being attached to 'Anambra dialect'. NCI sounded less 'special' and 'superior' in attributes and I used it instead. Of course, I'm aware that there are various dialects within Anambra and Onitsha isn't reflective of the whole Anambra but I refer to Onicha mostly when I mention 'Anambra dialect' or 'NCI' because that's the dialect that readily comes to most people's mind when you mention 'Anambra dialect', not Awka, or Nnewi etc.
Now,don't feel like the smart ass down here.
When we say Igbo Izugbe, i mean the standard Igbo used as a literary medium in schools etc. This is the recognized Igbo dialect in Waec etc. We can say it was derived from Southern Igbo viz: Abia and Imo.
When we say NCI actors....i mean those actors from Northern axis. It is only right if these actors come into nollywood and adopt the dialect that is close to them.
When we say SCI actors.....i mean actors from the Southern axis. These actors are more inclined to use the Igbo dialect spoken in Southern Igbo urban areas.
How is this difficult to understand?
If you watch a movie like Princess Ekeoma done in English and Igbo. This movie had 99% of Southern actors. Mr Ibu was the only NI.
The rest of them flowed in SCI.
An Igbo movie on Africa magic now: NDI OGWU.
Actors: Charles Awurum(ST), Victor Osuagwu(ST), Queen Nwokoye(NT), Francis Odega(Anioma).
Apart from Francis, the rest of them used what is obtained in the South, while Queen used NI and Izugbe.
I don't know who legalized your dialect as default in nollywood. SMH! Your point has been countered, proven to be null,void and invalid.
That is what i have been explaining to you....NCI stick with whatever Northern dialect.
While SCI sticks to what is obtained in the South.
This is to show you that no actor in nollywood is forced/pushed/flogged/obligated/compelled to pick Your dialect or Mine or NCI or SCI. You speak what is familiar to you...as far as it falls into NCI or SCI.
Do you have a problem with those terms above?

1 Like

Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by Eke40seven(m): 12:47pm On Oct 25, 2014
This is a very interesting thread, I have read through the comments and I will make random comments based on all the assertions I have observed.
Personally, I have limited knowledge of the different Igbo dialects and wouldn't say am too vast in the culture or history. The knowledge of the dialects I have are based on my experience in Lagos, the occasional travels to my hometown in Bende L.G.A in Abia state and holidays in Aba and Umuahia, then recently, travels to Asaba and Owerri. and some history based on books and literature. I was born and raised in Lagos.
This background I highlighted above have influenced how I speak and relate to other Igbos and generally affects the dialect am comfortable with.
I'm from what we like to refer to as Umunnato, comprising of Alayi, Igbere and Item, our dialect is quite different but very very closely related to Abariba and nporo (an outsider may not notice the differences). People say that our accent has the same tone with 'calabar' (used in the general sense to represent cross river and Akwa-ibom languages). The language is intelligible to other Igbo speakers but that is when is toned and slowed down though for easily assimilation and communication. However, the influence of this language on the wider Abian dialect is not that great, one, there are no major towns in this area conglomerating other Igbos and the number of speakers and the geographic stretch is limited, although the people themselves are everywhere.
This language is what my parents brought me up with in Lagos and that is what is spoken at home and the use of CL was only used in "The Lords prayer", "Bible reading" and hymns. Now when communicating with other Igbos, I had to mix and pick up their accents and dialects here and there to construct mine to get a version to ease communication.. So if I meet many Anambarans and am compelled to speak Igbo, I tend to pick up and will generally flow with their tune and use some of their accent to tone down mine for easy communication. My parents were surprised when I started using 'ga' like 'mega', 'kwuga', 'gaga', after Two weeks in Owerri. However, I must admit that all the igbos are special in their own way.
Obviously, some are harder and hardly intelligible for a non native speaker. For instance, there was a large Ebonyi (Ezza ngbo, Ngbo and other neighbouring communities) in my former neighbourhood and more in one particular neighbourhood around. Initially, their accent was so weird that we hardly understood it was Igbo apart from some occasional words although they did ours perfectly, with time, we began coding some of their words through constant familiarly with their words, although constructing the simplest of sentence with them is another matter.
What I understand is this, one, when two dialects meet, the one that is more easily comprehensible dominate. Now, a lot of things influence both the 'comprehensibility' and 'domination' of a dialect. It could be history, the location where the dialect is spoken, language policies and standardization, size of population of the native speakers, migration, economic influence, commerce, etc.
Generally, I like the dialect used in Aba urban area, it sounds more 'centralised' to my ear, which could be due to the fact that it is a melting point of the Igbo. Again, what I notice in the Igbo situation is that, the more urban (I dont mean underdeveloped or backward), the more comprehensible the dialect used in the area than neighbouring communities around there.
All Igbo accent are special and their continued used only preserves our diversity and culture. I personally like the flow of the Onitsha and Enugu (city) Igbo, the complexity, structure and lexis of the Owerri Igbo, the smoothness and clarity of the one spoken in Aba and the extreme weirdness and exoticness of many parts of Ebonyi (Ezza, Izzi), Nsukka. In the long run, whether a dialect is much preferred or hated, easily understood or notoriously indecipherable or unintelligible, it does not AUTOMATICALLY make the speakers more or less 'pure' ethnically or humanly.
To ME (without a strict, structurally defined base) , if I were to give an equivalent or draw a parallel between English and Igbo accents not out of originality but out of the personal perception of the flows; British (London, Cockney) accent will be Enugu (city), Onitsha and Asaba, American (North) and Canadian- Aba, Australia and NZ - Owerri; Irish and Scottish- Abakiliki; Liverpudlian or Scouse- IKwerre; Caribean- non Asaban Delta Igbo, Singaporean (Singlish) some parts of Ebonyi and Enugu (Ezza, Izzi, Ngbo, Nssuka and environs)
I shall continue soon to refute or buttress some points I had earlier read.....

3 Likes

Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by Ihuomadinihu: 12:57pm On Oct 25, 2014
@Eke thank you for joining this thread. I really don't know how an igbo man describes other Igbo dialects as bushy and unclassy. The right word i believe should be different and exotic.
Pls if you find any other prejudiced opinion here,do point it out.
Re: Igbos Attention Needed Here For Enlightenment .... by bigfrancis21: 5:12pm On Oct 25, 2014
InyinyaAgbaOku:

Bigfrancis, I had long finished with you. Take the answer to this point from all I have Been been saying cos am not droning on nollywood. I have addressed your first post and that's all I came here for.
Summary: nobody wows at your dialect as you made it seem, not as much as people wow at imo dialects .
[s]Again, you still don't know whether my mum is from anambra, and to think radiollo here doesn't agree with you totally, and he is from awka, so its really wack talking about some random anambra hate.[/s]
Always take criticisms as they come and don't read bizarre meanings to them.
Have a nice day

Radoillo's point of argument here was the Nri lordship which Odenigbo wielded. Read my introductory page I mentioned a second statement saying that mentioned some Igbo people originated from elsewhere.

@strikethrough...who cares where your mom is from? I don't even care. One thing is quite certain - you're not from Anambra. Radoillo and some other Anambra people might not want to join in the debate so as to not appear 'superior' or 'more special' to insecure people.

I'm still wondering what points you've even made on this thread other than running behind Ihuoma's back and liking his posts like a scared little girl. Since you said you're done with me I don't expect another banal reply from you. Of course you would, with some other irrelevant things totally extraneous to this topic of discussion.

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (21) (Reply)

Two Masquerades Pictured Riding By On A Motorcycle In Kogi State / Outrage As Nigerians Perform Traditional Rituals Publicly In South Africa.Photos / What Did You Called This Animal In Your Local Language ? (pictures )

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 170
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.