Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,700 members, 7,816,869 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:06 PM

The Rejected Nigerian Ebola Soldier (A Premium Times Investigative Report) - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / The Rejected Nigerian Ebola Soldier (A Premium Times Investigative Report) (37274 Views)

Pregnant Woman Rejected By Cameronian Hospital,Operated By Her Niece In Open Air / First Nigerian Ebola Survivor Not Treated With "Nano Silver" - Health Minister / Nano-silver Nigerian Ebola Drug Is A Pesticide- US (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Rejected Nigerian Ebola Soldier (A Premium Times Investigative Report) by lonelydora: 8:09pm On Oct 05, 2014
And you expect me to tead all these?
Re: The Rejected Nigerian Ebola Soldier (A Premium Times Investigative Report) by Jaymima(f): 8:10pm On Oct 05, 2014
SlimSkipper:
h
E no go better for daftness
Re: The Rejected Nigerian Ebola Soldier (A Premium Times Investigative Report) by FOLLOWJESUS: 8:27pm On Oct 05, 2014
Ebola is the second name of tarror I know after boko haram, but comparing the two, Ebola is more deadly than boko haram, The only thing I will like nigerians to be dÓing Ón daily besis is to be thanking GOD for saving nigerians,If you don't monitor what is going on in liberia, how people are dieing on the streets you will not appriciate GOD enough, no amount of thanks is enough for our GOD,GOD somuch love Nigeria for me is like GOD is a Nigerian. GLORY GLORY BE TO GOD. It would have been disasterous Boko haram at the north Ebola at the south.
Re: The Rejected Nigerian Ebola Soldier (A Premium Times Investigative Report) by Nobody: 8:31pm On Oct 05, 2014
Emmafrancis:
The topic at first glance is a bit misleading ooo. But all in all the reporter should understand that its not possible for everybody to be accepted. He holds Bsc microbiology while so many others have degree in public health and so many medical doctors with years of experience.

Finally the reporter have no reason to make a mountain out of an ant hill.

The question remains: why did the officials drag their feet and left them to wallow in silence.. A simple email or a phone call to the prospective volunteers informing them of the unavailability of spaces for them would have sufficed.

Corruption has eaten too deeply into every nano fabric of our nation and that right there is a reason to turn deaf ears to Ngugi Wa'Thiongo when he says "Weep not Child"

-Dr.Faust.

1 Like

Re: The Rejected Nigerian Ebola Soldier (A Premium Times Investigative Report) by KingIOb: 8:32pm On Oct 05, 2014
I shudder for those shouting corruption! The reporter responded to a volunteer call but was not taken.

From the LASG Health Commissioner's appeal, was there an assurance that all that applied will be accepted? They must have gotten enough and stopped calling for more persons. Moreover ebola has been contained, doctors resumed work, and no more need for 'the ebola soldiers'.
Re: The Rejected Nigerian Ebola Soldier (A Premium Times Investigative Report) by SammyT95(m): 8:46pm On Oct 05, 2014
Is microbiology not a good course? I'm a student of this course and i love what I'm doing...
I'm getting worried oooo
pls any microbiologist in the field out dre?
Where and how did you get your work?
Pls your response may save a life.
Re: The Rejected Nigerian Ebola Soldier (A Premium Times Investigative Report) by Nobody: 8:49pm On Oct 05, 2014
Some things will never change afterall this Nigeria
Re: The Rejected Nigerian Ebola Soldier (A Premium Times Investigative Report) by FOLLOWJESUS: 8:49pm On Oct 05, 2014
:oEbola is the second name of tarror I know after boko haram, but comparing the two, Ebola is more deadly than boko haram, The only thing I will like nigerians to be dÓing Ón daily besis is to be thanking GOD for saving nigerians,If you don't monitor what is going on in liberia, how people are dieing on the streets you will not appriciate GOD enough, no amount of thanks is enough for our GOD,GOD somuch love Nigeria for me is like GOD is a Nigerian. GLORY GLORY BE TO GOD. It would have been disasterous Boko haram at the north Ebola at the south.
Re: The Rejected Nigerian Ebola Soldier (A Premium Times Investigative Report) by Amya(f): 9:11pm On Oct 05, 2014
Coded7:
Corruption even at the expense of Ebola outbreak.

It really a shame how many people like you cannot comprehend a very simple article. Now to break this down for you to really understand I'll have to itemize this.

1. The writer of the article is a journalist.

2. The writer was looking to write the greatest piece of the year. He was looking for a story not to help per se.

3. He was pressured by his boss to write said piece.

4. He probably didn't study microbiology but lied as he knew that would be the only way to get close to the action. He was a journalist after all.

5. He passed the first hurdle by getting numbers and was even directed to where he could be selected or not.

6. He went there and lied again.

7. He was told at some point that they had met the capacity of volunteers needed (since the index case had been weeks before it was understandable that they had gotten the amount of volunteers needed) and he would be contacted when there was need for more volunteers.

8. He waited and waited and still no call came.

Now for those lacking comprehension, the entire people that were infected with ebola disease in Nigeria were less than 20. The simple fact that remuneration for volunteers is good means more and more people will volunteer. This means that it'll get to a point whereby you may volunteer and not be taken. If hypothetical 10,000 people volunteer for ebola for just 20 infected, most wouldn't have anything to really do and be paid such large sums per day. Will it make sense to you?

Please pray tell, how is this corruption!

8 Likes

Re: The Rejected Nigerian Ebola Soldier (A Premium Times Investigative Report) by moststylish(m): 9:31pm On Oct 05, 2014
Nigerian govt,playing politics with peoples life since 1900
Re: The Rejected Nigerian Ebola Soldier (A Premium Times Investigative Report) by Nobody: 9:31pm On Oct 05, 2014
So he never saw a single patient.
Ebola is a hoax
Re: The Rejected Nigerian Ebola Soldier (A Premium Times Investigative Report) by 4peace(m): 9:32pm On Oct 05, 2014
SammyT95:
Is microbiology not a good course? I'm a student of this course and i love what I'm doing...
I'm getting worried oooo
pls any microbiologist in the field out dre?
Where and how did you get your work?
Pls your response may save a life.

Don't worry reporter work is waiting for you.

Microbiologist as a reporter Smh
Re: The Rejected Nigerian Ebola Soldier (A Premium Times Investigative Report) by 4peace(m): 9:34pm On Oct 05, 2014
Amya:

It really a shame how many people like you cannot comprehend a very simple article. Now to break this down for you to really understand I'll have to itemize this.

1. The writer of the article is a journalist.

2. The writer was looking to write the greatest piece of the year. He was looking for a story not to help per se.

3. He was pressured by his boss to write said piece.

4. He probably didn't study microbiology but lied as he knew that would be the only way to get close to the action. He was a journalist after all.

5. He passed the first hurdle by getting numbers and was even directed to where he could be selected or not.

6. He went there and lied again.

7. He was told at some point that they had met the capacity of volunteers needed (since the index case had been weeks before it was understandable that they had gotten the amount of volunteers needed) and he would be contacted when there was need for more volunteers.

8. He waited and waited and still no call came.

Now for those lacking comprehension, the entire people that were infected with ebola disease in Nigeria were less than 20. The simple fact that remuneration for volunteers is good means more and more people will volunteer. This means that it'll get to a point whereby you may volunteer and not be taken. If hypothetical 10,000 people volunteer for ebola for just 20 infected, most wouldn't have anything to really do and be paid such large sums per day. Will it make sense to you?

Please pray tell, how' this is corruption!

God Bless You

3 Likes

Re: The Rejected Nigerian Ebola Soldier (A Premium Times Investigative Report) by blasterman(m): 9:37pm On Oct 05, 2014
FOLLOWJESUS:
:oEbola is the second name of tarror I know after boko haram, but comparing the two, Ebola is more deadly than boko haram, The only thing I will like nigerians to be dÓing Ón daily besis is to be thanking GOD for saving nigerians,If you don't monitor what is going on in liberia, how people are dieing on the streets you will not appriciate GOD enough, no amount of thanks is enough for our GOD,GOD somuch love Nigeria for me is like GOD is a Nigerian. GLORY GLORY BE TO GOD. It would have been disasterous Boko haram at the north Ebola at the south.

The whole of Liberia is infected and it will creep into Ghana Togo Benin .

The war with Ebola is not over this is round 1
Re: The Rejected Nigerian Ebola Soldier (A Premium Times Investigative Report) by Samiceman: 9:56pm On Oct 05, 2014
Jaymima:

May God punish Senselessness.
Amen ooo dear. Nice pics though.... Don't let anybody tell u otherwise *winks*
Re: The Rejected Nigerian Ebola Soldier (A Premium Times Investigative Report) by M4gunners: 10:03pm On Oct 05, 2014
Can you imagine this! People want to work, one man at the office we be blocking it because of their selfish reasons.
Re: The Rejected Nigerian Ebola Soldier (A Premium Times Investigative Report) by sulmeza(m): 10:05pm On Oct 05, 2014
D guy shud tnk God instead...it myt av been a blessing in disguise 4 him...cus ,who knws...he culd av bin amng d ebola victims
Re: The Rejected Nigerian Ebola Soldier (A Premium Times Investigative Report) by Nobody: 10:08pm On Oct 05, 2014
morgang:
Naija I hail ooh. Even with the outbreak of Ebola virus, corruption still thrive. Although, if not for God's favour, Ebola virus would have wiped out majority of lagosians and other related States. And of course, a lot of people failed to realized that Ebola virus is more deadly than terrorism cuz govt can't raise arms with sophisticated weapons against it and yet, the top officials in charge still find way to swaddle the money meant for volunteers.

well, for the first time in history, Nigerian government made a remarkable achievement by curbing out Ebola virus without any foreign aid. I stand in awe for the govt tho!

How I wished the way Nigeria govt swung into action against Ebola virus, such actions would have been taken to send those miserable blood sucker demons to the land of 7 virgins

Heard that shekau is still hale and hearty, how true is it source ; (sahara reporters).

AJE said it too. He released a video
Re: The Rejected Nigerian Ebola Soldier (A Premium Times Investigative Report) by Funjosh(m): 10:08pm On Oct 05, 2014
Reward in waiting.
Re: The Rejected Nigerian Ebola Soldier (A Premium Times Investigative Report) by shegestiga(m): 10:37pm On Oct 05, 2014
Patriotic dude....GOD bless ur hustle jare........
Re: The Rejected Nigerian Ebola Soldier (A Premium Times Investigative Report) by ekenzo(m): 11:18pm On Oct 05, 2014
lafuria1:
I read the piece. In summary the write up is about a journalist who works for premium times. He decided to volunteer to be an anti ebola soldier in Lagos. After series of filling forms and going to ebola prevention clinic to work as a volunteer, he was never called to work for no reason. The big question is why.

Note each volunteer is to be paid 30k naira per day plus insurance in case of any problem.

Lwkmd. Our ogas at d top don chop d money grin grin grin grin. They just needed there details and signature to collect the money ni

1 Like

Re: The Rejected Nigerian Ebola Soldier (A Premium Times Investigative Report) by shoboy9: 12:00am On Oct 06, 2014
Greed all over the place. Billions have been spent yet the volunteers have not been paid. Visit that hospital once and you'll know the meaning of corruption. Colonial buildings in this day and age. I heard there were WHO experts and funding here throughout. What did they actually spend the money on? Even if they bought 4WD, where are they? Or is it the one presented by total/shell?
Shioor!

1 Like

Re: The Rejected Nigerian Ebola Soldier (A Premium Times Investigative Report) by madgoat(m): 12:58am On Oct 06, 2014
Hehehehehehe.. One oga was already collecting d money dat wud av been assigned to u. grin
Re: The Rejected Nigerian Ebola Soldier (A Premium Times Investigative Report) by repogirl(f): 5:07am On Oct 06, 2014
Everybody is jumping to conclude corruption, is it easy to pay everyone 30k daily? What if funds weren't readily available? And they had to only a few selected, probably more qualifies people?

All everyone is doing is just making up conclusions, even the writer didn't insinuate anything like that.

Anyway, do I blame Nigerians, we only see the worst in one another due to previous experiences.
Re: The Rejected Nigerian Ebola Soldier (A Premium Times Investigative Report) by Jj222(f): 6:03am On Oct 06, 2014
Dont mind our oga's on top jare
Re: The Rejected Nigerian Ebola Soldier (A Premium Times Investigative Report) by Ekii(f): 6:37am On Oct 06, 2014
A lot of you are saying,the piece is too long and you need a summarised version. Its saddening to see young people who are unwilling to read because they want someone else to do the reading and just give them the short version. Its a weakness of the mind and a waste of your brain capabilities.

1 Like

Re: The Rejected Nigerian Ebola Soldier (A Premium Times Investigative Report) by centjamie(m): 6:43am On Oct 06, 2014
Emmafrancis:
The topic at first glance is a bit misleading ooo. But all in all the reporter should understand that its not possible for everybody to be accepted. He holds Bsc microbiology while so many others have degree in public health and so many medical doctors with years of experience.

Finally the reporter have no reason to make a mountain out of an ant hill.

And why did they not tell him he wasnt qualified enough for the job instead of allowing him coming repeatedly?

1 Like

Re: The Rejected Nigerian Ebola Soldier (A Premium Times Investigative Report) by phrankysix(m): 6:57am On Oct 06, 2014
9ja ma uncle's land!
Re: The Rejected Nigerian Ebola Soldier (A Premium Times Investigative Report) by UnknownT: 7:06am On Oct 06, 2014
delishpot:
Ha ha. I trust our naija ogas ontop. Believe you me, they have collected salary for 1 million ghost volunteers already and will be planning on how to cash in the life insurance of 2 million more. They do not need physical volunteers cos it will mean reduced egunje.
LOL! I had to remember during one NECO marking we applied for the post of checkers(we check d marked scripts for errors), d NECO official just selected like 10 persons, but the serial numbers he gave to them started from 40 (meaning he had cornered the daily payment for 40 'invisible' checkers to himself). Now the 10 checkers had to do the work of 50 checkers under Nigerian pattern

1 Like

Re: The Rejected Nigerian Ebola Soldier (A Premium Times Investigative Report) by ntyce(m): 7:29am On Oct 06, 2014
How come people are shouting corruption?
where was it written in the article that gratification or bribe was demanded?
So cos he was not recruited as a volunteer or cos some people were foot - dragging, you call that corruption.

He was a journalist who may or may not have studied microbiology as claimed, but remember that most doctors were on strike at that time, most of the applicants would ve been doctors and they woukd be favourites over MCB graduate.

This as nothing to do with corruption, at most it will be inefficiency of govt.
Re: The Rejected Nigerian Ebola Soldier (A Premium Times Investigative Report) by ddeola: 7:48am On Oct 06, 2014
Microbiologist turned journalist. You have done your bit
Re: The Rejected Nigerian Ebola Soldier (A Premium Times Investigative Report) by delishpot: 8:42am On Oct 06, 2014
UnknownT:
LOL! I had to remember during one NECO marking we applied for the post of checkers(we check d marked scripts for errors), d NECO official just selected like 10 persons, but the serial numbers he gave to them started from 40 (meaning he had cornered the daily payment for 40 'invisible' checkers to himself). Now the 10 checkers had to do the work of 50 checkers under Nigerian pattern

Gbam!!!! You gorrit. Uknow you got the ihian. You gat the leg.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Guys, How Often Do You Change Your Boxer Shorts? / Acid Attack Survivor, Naomi Oni, In Beautiful New Photos / The Components Of Crystal Meth AKA meth

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.