Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,399 members, 7,815,871 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:55 PM

Why should my sister study Anatomy. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why should my sister study Anatomy. (10624 Views)

What Course Can My Sister Study With This Waec Result / Anatomy Student Of Uniosun's Death: Revealed True Story Behind It / "My Boyfriend Encouraged Me" –UNILORIN Best Anatomy Graduate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why should my sister study Anatomy. by Nobody: 6:46am On Oct 10, 2014
Good day my fellow NL, my kid sis who wanted to study medicine was offered anatomy, in uniport. Although I am happy she finally accepted ( After turning down two courses being offered her by uniport and even did a basic course there, just because she wanted medicine.), but I actually don't know indepth what people who studied anatomy actually do and how they view the course. Is there any one who actually fills in anatomy by him or her self cos of the love for the course.

Please i need responses, meanwhile l am just happy she was given something close and she accepted make she no dey waist her too sabi brain for house, come dey old (she is only seventeen).
Re: Why should my sister study Anatomy. by thorpido(m): 6:56am On Oct 10, 2014
Anatomy is a single honours course.For you to study medicine,you have to do anatomy,biochemistry and physiology in your pre-clinicals.
The prospect for an anatomist is to teach most times.They often go ahead to obtain post-graduate degree and lecture in a university.I know a couple who went back to study medicine after obtaining a degree in anatomy.

I'll advice your sister to obtain another UTME form and study hard for medicine with another school as choice if she starts in Uniport.
Re: Why should my sister study Anatomy. by Nobody: 7:15am On Oct 10, 2014
thorpido:
Anatomy is a single honours course.For you to study medicine,you have to do anatomy,biochemistry and physiology in your pre-clinicals.
The prospect for an anatomist is to teach most times.They often go ahead to obtain post-graduate degree and lecture in a university.I know a couple who went back to study medicine after obtaining a degree in anatomy.

I'll advice your sister to obtain another UTME form and study hard for medicine with another school as choice if she starts in Uniport.

Ok point noted! But do most of them end up teaching like u stated
Re: Why should my sister study Anatomy. by ULSHERLAN(m): 7:38am On Oct 10, 2014
phrancez:

let your sister decide her fate because you will be the one to blame if need be. I want to blv she is still very young.
Re: Why should my sister study Anatomy. by Nobody: 7:44am On Oct 10, 2014
ULSHERLAN:

let your sister decide her fate because you will be the one to blame if need be. I want to blv she is still very young.

I am not deciding her fate for her. No one in my family is, cos if we were she would be in 200L or 100L by now. She chose the course on her own accord. So I just want to get more details about the course, that's all. Thanks though.

1 Like

Re: Why should my sister study Anatomy. by thorpido(m): 8:01am On Oct 10, 2014
phrancez:

Most times and in Nigeria definitely,the only place you can work with anatomy is in an educational institute.
Re: Why should my sister study Anatomy. by Vivly(f): 9:00am On Oct 10, 2014
thorpido:

Why should she put another school?
Re: Why should my sister study Anatomy. by DollyParton1(f): 9:26am On Oct 10, 2014
Basically teaching. Nothing else feasible in naija.
I will advice ur sister not to give up if that's what she really wants. No matter what else she does, she might not be happy. It took me 4 years after high school to finally get to study medicine. I was accepted for other courses, I was in nursing school for a year, got offered biochemistry in a university, but all I wanted was medicine,I almost gave up at one point, but my parents won't let me. I remember my dad and my late mom's word "If that's what u want, we will support u no matter what. We believe in u and we know u can do it, don't give up on ur dreams" Those words kept me going after like 2 years and I saw my friends that I had better waec result and jamb score than, get into uni. And thank God today am a doctor. And I owe it to God and my family.
All she needs from u is support and encouragement. If u know she can do it, then support her and don't let her give up. You will be glad in the end.

2 Likes

Re: Why should my sister study Anatomy. by Nobody: 10:00am On Oct 10, 2014
DollyParton1:
Basically teaching. Nothing else feasible in naija.
I will advice ur sister not to give up if that's what she really wants. No matter what else she does, she might not be happy. It took me 4 years after high school to finally get to study medicine. I was accepted for other courses, I was in nursing school for a year, got offered biochemistry in a university, but all I wanted was medicine,I almost gave up at one point, but my parents won't let me. I remember my dad and my late mom's word "If that's what u want, we will support u no matter what. We believe in u and we know u can do it, don't give up on ur dreams" Those words kept me going after like 2 years and I saw my friends that I had better waec result and jamb score than, get into uni. And thank God today am a doctor. And I owe it to God and my family.
All she needs from u is support and encouragement. If u know she can do it, then support her and don't let her give up. You will be glad in the end.
thanks alot.
Re: Why should my sister study Anatomy. by Nobody: 10:06am On Oct 10, 2014
Hmmm, what a coincidence,my younger brother was offered anatomy but he wants to study medicine. my elder sis was like he shouldn't go for it,that here in Nig he only has to lecture. He just has to wait for the next UTME.(He is only 18)
Re: Why should my sister study Anatomy. by Nobody: 10:13am On Oct 10, 2014
If she's so interested in the course given, then let her be.

Don't try to influence her decision,there is joy in doing what a person loves.

Either anatomy,medicine, what matters most is God's grace to be the best in our endeavors.

Peace.

1 Like

Re: Why should my sister study Anatomy. by thorpido(m): 10:46am On Oct 10, 2014
Vivly:

Why should she put another school?
You usually can't be a matriculated student of one school and write UTME to re-enter that same school.I don't know how it works in other institutions but you can't do that in UI.
Re: Why should my sister study Anatomy. by Nobody: 11:09am On Oct 10, 2014
grocery:
Hmmm, what a coincidence,my younger brother was offered anatomy but he wants to study medicine. my elder sis was like he shouldn't go for it,that here in Nig he only has to lecture. He just has to wait for the next UTME.(He is only 18)

Really a coincidence, didn't know much abt this anatomy, just heard another list would be coming out and hopefully her name should be on it. Cos her name came out on the basic list not utme. I pray she gets medicine.
Re: Why should my sister study Anatomy. by Nobody: 11:31am On Oct 10, 2014
phrancez:

Really a coincidence, didn't know much abt this anatomy, just heard another list would be coming out and hopefully her name should be on it. Cos her name came out on the basic list not utme. I pray she gets medicine.
I believe her name should be there. Thou my bro put ESUT,but still hoping if the anatomy can be changed to medicine, then if it won't be possible he has to wait for the next UTME
Re: Why should my sister study Anatomy. by profemoral(m): 11:34am On Oct 10, 2014
I am a graduate of Anatomy with a Bachelors degree and masters degree

studying anatomy doesn't really worth it, the job opportunity is so slim, and u can only hope to get a lecturing job which is not certain, as doctors to apply for lecturing job in anatomy.

Am still in search of job since 2009, so u should understand better.
Re: Why should my sister study Anatomy. by profemoral(m): 11:35am On Oct 10, 2014

studying anatomy doesn't really worth it, the job opportunity is so slim, and u can only hope to get a lecturing job which is not certain, as doctors too apply for lecturing job in anatomy.

Re: Why should my sister study Anatomy. by brainpower(m): 12:00pm On Oct 10, 2014
Anatomy just like physiology and biochemistry are good courses but the problem is you are not recognized by the Nigerian medical field as a medical practitioner, which means she has to switch to medicine after getting her degree and that can only be done if she graduates with a 2nd class upper or a high 2nd class lower depending on the school she finally want to do the medicine. But as for uniport, they already have a lot of people doing medicine so they have stopped switching about 3years ago, though I don't know if they have started accepting again. But if this is not feasible then she will have to make due with teaching by furthering. But I will advice her to do it and eventually switch in any school at all. The advantage is that she has a degree already and she will always be ahead of her class cos of the extra knowledge she has cos when she switches to medicine, by writing the 1st mbbs with the year3 students, she will be in year 4(clinicals) and will breeze through.
Re: Why should my sister study Anatomy. by thorpido(m): 12:27pm On Oct 10, 2014
profemoral:

studying anatomy doesn't really worth it, the job opportunity is so slim, and u can only hope to get a lecturing job which is not certain, as doctors too apply for lecturing job in anatomy.

why don't you look into other areas?
Re: Why should my sister study Anatomy. by spanzed(m): 12:48pm On Oct 10, 2014
I don't No why Nigeria universities keep changing the fate of her applicants...passing through the same ish...but I have resorted to going for the course...I would advice she should go for the course and if crossing from Anatomy to medcine is possible in Uniport after her 1st year she should do all her best to have a good CGPA in her 1st year...probably she would succeed in studying her dream course..and she should take another Jamb...and mayb try another institution hopefully things would workout well..PEACE
Re: Why should my sister study Anatomy. by Coldplay007(f): 3:43pm On Oct 10, 2014
Re: Why should my sister study Anatomy. by hector: 3:20pm On Feb 22, 2015
I dnt knw u. i dnt knw your sister. But i will never advice even my enemy to study anatomy or physiology. These two courses have become the goose that lays the golden egg for all n sundry in the medical world yet completely raped, trampled upon, with nothing left to make it relevant outside lecturing. Of which u hav to obtain an msc or phd before u can do so.

first degree anatomy or physiology is as useless as a used condom.

Worse still, the lecturing is becoming very competitive as mor n mor people ar now opting for msc n phd in these disciplines.

Even the so called medical doctors ar now clamoring for lecturings jobs in anatomy n physiology. I dnt knw what has hapnd to the hippocratic oath they took to care for d sick n improve our health care.

i am a graduate of anatomy.
Re: Why should my sister study Anatomy. by Sinachim: 10:53am On Mar 29, 2017
Pls I need your advice oo.i am currently studying anatomy in Esut.1st year tho.I never wanted to study medicine in Esut thats y i chosed anatomy because its the only medical course i can choose that is accredited in Esut. My dream course is pharmacy nd its not accredited.i wanted to write jamb agn bt people are advising me not to.seconded wit d fact that am 22 dis year.I dnt knw if i should switch over to pharmacy here in Esut even though its not accredited yet.pls ur advises are needed

(1) (Reply)

When Will Her JAMB (UME) Results Be Released? / Registration For Neco G.c.e (external)examination Is About To Commerce Hurry Up Now. / Niger Delta University Students Protest Over Strike - Pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.