Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,840 members, 7,817,484 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:00 PM

First Pregnancy. First Labor. First Baby. How Was It? - Family (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / First Pregnancy. First Labor. First Baby. How Was It? (56936 Views)

Woman Loses First Pregnancy To Police Brutality After 10 Years Of Marriage / Fashola's Wife Welcomes Lagos First Baby Of 2015 (photo) / Meet The First Baby Born In 2015 In Anambra State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: First Pregnancy. First Labor. First Baby. How Was It? by PupetMasta(m): 5:04pm On Jun 08, 2010
When I was younger I witnessed a home delivery with just my aunties and my grand mum present. I was just a kid then but I can still recall the experience especially when I see the boy(now in the university). Omo dat day was not funny o, I heard the pregnant woman's (an aunt) scream in my sleep. When I woke up I was just staring at her as she rolled on the floor in pain while the other women tried to calm her and deliver the baby, I could not move. Omo I was scared. I had the memory in my head through the Christmas period.

Thumbs up to Women.
Re: First Pregnancy. First Labor. First Baby. How Was It? by captured(f): 3:07pm On Jun 11, 2010
Guess am really one of the lucky ones, went through the whole nine months without a hitch (no spitting, no vomitting, no pains, just a craving for fast food and citrus fruits) except for one morning i woke up to see my left feet swollen (that was the worst thing that happened in the whole nine months) the doc said to flex it so the baby would shift since the position was the problem. Within 24 hours, my feet was normal and i even went on long journeys without he car since my husband was afraid i will faint at the wheel or something.

Labour was also like a text book, it felt just like menstrual cramp and i did not realise i was in labour till my husband complained that i was getting up too often (less than 30mins apart), left home around 4am since the hospital was quite far and delivered under an hour of arriving at the hospital. The doc could not believe i was a first timer as it was as if i planned to arrive just in time for delivery
The nurse had to burst the water out since i was fully dilated and it wasnt coming of its own volition.

My husband who had only witnessed a CS delivery was in shock for a while and it took my mum to get him moving

My boy is now 2 and continues to be a source of pride. I continue to use the nature of his delivery as a prayer point

5 Likes

Re: First Pregnancy. First Labor. First Baby. How Was It? by adetoru(f): 1:47am On Jun 12, 2010
We thought we had at least 3 more weeks,we took a stroll to buy suya(I had cravings for spicy food),on our way back,my water broke and hubby started laughing because he thought I was joking and I told him it wasn;t a joke but I had no contractions so I just cleaned up,put on a pad and waited till morning.The next day,Got to the antenatal clinic and they told me to "pick number".When I looked,the last number was 132.
I remember that my hubby's aunt worked at the hospital so we went to her and she marched us straight to the labour ward.This was on a Tuesday.I was admitted and examined,no contractions,Wednesday came and went so it was decided on Thursday morning that I had to have him by c-section.
To summarize the whole story,I had my baby boy thru c-section on the 23rd of May 2002 and it was well worth it. smiley
Re: First Pregnancy. First Labor. First Baby. How Was It? by mamamia2: 9:27pm On Jun 13, 2010
Captured, your story reminds me of one I read up in another forum by one very lucky mom. Check it out, she called it her \Miracle delivery\ The baby just popped out without any pain yep. shocked

http://www.nigerianparentsforum.com

1 Like 1 Share

Re: First Pregnancy. First Labor. First Baby. How Was It? by Osama10(m): 3:44am On Jun 14, 2010
Maximum respect to mothers. wink
Re: First Pregnancy. First Labor. First Baby. How Was It? by Nobody: 3:49am On Jun 14, 2010
My thread still dey?

Thank you guys for bringing it back up. I'm enjoying it.

smiley

@mothers in the house.

I heard that once you give birth through CS once, then you can never give birth the normal way, is that true?
Re: First Pregnancy. First Labor. First Baby. How Was It? by Sissy3(f): 5:14am On Jun 14, 2010
Ebony,

thats not entirely true. some women still deliver vaginally after CS aka VBAC. the problem however, is that its a very delicate thing due to many complications that may arise therefore many doctors are very reluctant to the idea and you know if any thing goes wrong its on their head.

its still possibly to deliver naturally after CS. a friend that delivered through CS before and was in labour waiting for another CS, the baby couldnt wait any longer she delivered naturally with no complications whatsoever.

the issue is that many women arent aware that they can still try vag[i]i[/i]nal birth after CS therefore dont even bother to access their risk/chance
Re: First Pregnancy. First Labor. First Baby. How Was It? by Nobody: 5:20am On Jun 14, 2010
~Sissy~:

Ebony,

thats not entirely true. some women still deliver vaginally after CS aka VBAC. the problem however, is that its a very delicate thing due to many complications that may arise therefore many doctors are very reluctant to the idea and you know if any thing goes wrong its on their head.

its still possibly to deliver naturally after CS. a friend that delivered through CS before and was in labour waiting for another CS, the baby couldnt wait any longer she delivered naturally with no complications whatsoever.

the issue is that many women arent aware that they can still try vag[i]i[/i]nal birth after CS therefore dont even bother to access their risk/chance

Interesting. . . . Thanks. kiss
Re: First Pregnancy. First Labor. First Baby. How Was It? by mamamia2: 10:33am On Jun 14, 2010
Especially if the mother gives enough time spacing to allow her surgery 'wound' or scar heal properly before taking in again.
@Obama01, you got that right! kudos to mothers! aint easy at all. We are special!
Re: First Pregnancy. First Labor. First Baby. How Was It? by hazureal(f): 11:46am On Jun 14, 2010
My pregnancy was quite eventful. Had morning sickness and heartburn throughout(though sleepin on my left side helped ease it). My feet got swollen at d last trimester. I couldnt take cold things at home(mother in law and hubby were against it), so i made sure i had my fill of icecream anytime i went for antenatal visits. Looking back at my experience and d pain i went thru, i aint givin up. I still will definitely have more kids!
Re: First Pregnancy. First Labor. First Baby. How Was It? by Nobody: 5:49pm On Jun 16, 2010
@ Captured
Life really is a biatch. Name a preggie downside and i can tell u i had it. Had my second in Jan and have decided i'm not having anymore, pregnancy just doesn't agree with me.
Re: First Pregnancy. First Labor. First Baby. How Was It? by mamamia2: 12:12pm On Jun 17, 2010
@naijababe, kpele o! I understand, had all the minuses of preggie too but still have 4. Its still a bit too early for you to make your mind about packing your maternity stuff for good. January pains definitely will still be too fresh to 4get but take heart in the fact some mothers CAN have it easy by choice yes by choice, I keep harping and sharing this story in this link to encourage mothers and mothers-to-be, go to the childbearing part:
http://www.nigerianparentsforum.com
Re: First Pregnancy. First Labor. First Baby. How Was It? by Nobody: 5:32pm On Jun 21, 2010
^^^ grin grin grin
U totally had me cracking up, my sister I no be glutton for punishment I no dey do again abeg tongue
Re: First Pregnancy. First Labor. First Baby. How Was It? by seasonedmom: 12:04pm On Jun 22, 2010
naijababe:

^^^ grin grin grin
U totally had me cracking up, my sister I no be glutton for punishment I no dey do again abeg tongue

No worry, my sista, you go tell me say I told you so when you are heading for the delivery room come 2 or 3 yrs time.! But really, on a serious note, did u go to that link? Mothers have testified to this working and I can also beat my chest or is it breast? undecided and say, I got serious divine help on my last 3 births because of this kinda advice. I had very short and mostly painless deliveries. No need to suffer needlessly at all. wink
Re: First Pregnancy. First Labor. First Baby. How Was It? by Nobody: 5:01pm On Jun 22, 2010
I visited the link and i wont deny that mindset can do a lot during delivery. Despite the horrid time i had during pregnancy, my deliveries werent too bad. My first labour from contraction to delivery was 3hrs and second was just over an hour. I am not religious at all but both times i kept saying if there is a God, He'd give me an easy labour and peaceful babies since i had such horrid pregnancies and I got exactly that both times smiley
Re: First Pregnancy. First Labor. First Baby. How Was It? by Obatity: 3:43pm On Jun 24, 2010
Hello everyone, My first pregnancy was a very "wonderful" experince. For almost half of my pregnancy period, i could not stand any smell but will throw up like no man's business. I never really changed in appearance like having bigger nose,  pimples e.tc. On the D day, initally the cramps was mild and still going about my own business  but when the contraction got stronger and at its peak i did not know when i removed all my clothes ahh! i tot the world had ended, thank God for my husband who was with me at the labour room encouraging me. I laboured for about 12hrs,  the mid-wives asked me if i would rather hold my knee by my self to push or they should tie my legs , i just shouted TIE, TIE ooo Jesuuuu. Finally when i made the last push  my lovely daughter came into the world stippling the scale 4.45kg! What a joy that filled my heart and my husband. Immediately all the pains disappeared, i was filled with joy and knowing the joy of a motherhood!

1 Like

Re: First Pregnancy. First Labor. First Baby. How Was It? by whiteroses(f): 6:22pm On Jun 24, 2010
Obatity:

Hello everyone, My first pregnancy was a very "wonderful" experince. For almost half of my pregnancy period, i could not stand any smell but will throw up like no man's business. I never really changed in appearance like having bigger nose,  pimples e.tc. On the D day, initally the cramps was mild and still going about my own business  but when the contraction got stronger and at its peak i did not know when i removed all my clothes ahh! i tot the world had ended, thank God for my husband who was with me at the labour room encouraging me. I laboured for about 12hrs,  the mid-wives asked me if i would rather hold my knee by my self to push or they should tie my legs , i just shouted TIE, TIE ooo Jesuuuu. Finally when i made the last push  my lovely daughter came into the world stippling the scale 4.45kg! What a joy that filled my heart and my husband. Immediately all the pains disappeared, i was filled with joy and knowing the joy of a motherhood!
aww bless cheesy
my aunt got married she never farted or poo when he's at home she'd wait till he leaves for work and let it all out, on labour day she shit all over when they were telling her to push while her husband was holding her hands lol
Re: First Pregnancy. First Labor. First Baby. How Was It? by cibilola(f): 10:09am On Jun 25, 2010
Obatity:

Hello everyone, My first pregnancy was a very "wonderful" experince. For almost half of my pregnancy period, i could not stand any smell but will throw up like no man's business. I never really changed in appearance like having bigger nose, pimples e.tc. On the D day, initally the cramps was mild and still going about my own business but when the contraction got stronger and at its peak i did not know when i removed all my clothes ahh! i tot the world had ended, thank God for my husband who was with me at the labour room encouraging me. I laboured for about 12hrs, the mid-wives asked me if i would rather hold my knee by my self to push or they should tie my legs , i just shouted TIE, TIE ooo Jesuuuu. Finally when i made the last push my lovely daughter came into the world stippling the scale 4.45kg! What a joy that filled my heart and my husband. Immediately all the pains disappeared, i was filled with joy and knowing the joy of a motherhood!

That cracked me up!! grin although i know child-bearing and labour is probably the most painful experience a woman will ever face. I am due in 7 weeks and i just keep on praying to deliver like the Hebrew women did. My mum is still convinced that i will cry sha! embarassed anyway, it is well, i will worry more about it when the time comes and i will definitely come back here to share my 'wonderful' experience wink
Re: First Pregnancy. First Labor. First Baby. How Was It? by smartmom(f): 10:47am On Jun 25, 2010
cibilola:

That cracked me up!! grin although i know child-bearing and labour is probably the most painful experience a woman will ever face. I am due in 7 weeks and i just keep on praying to deliver like the Hebrew women did. My mum is still convinced that i will cry sha! embarassed anyway, it is well, i will worry more about it when the time comes and i will definitely come back here to share my 'wonderful' experience wink

My dear mum-to-be, dont worry, most important is ur attitude which am glad to read is good. You will go through it and emerge a winner. You can do it. You can also make up ur mind to enjoy and not endure the whole experience. Key into the 'success' stories instead of the horror ones. Check out what one poster up there said abt having a stress free delivery and some links also above and sail through. Waiting to hear from you when you are though. cool
Re: First Pregnancy. First Labor. First Baby. How Was It? by Obatity: 11:21am On Jun 25, 2010
cibilola:

Please just relax your mind! There is nothing to worry about. You will surely deliver easily and carry your bundle of joy. It is settled in Jesus Name. smiley
Re: First Pregnancy. First Labor. First Baby. How Was It? by whiteroses(f): 10:20pm On Jun 25, 2010
cibilola:

lmao how did hebrew women deliver? perhaps by rubbing some alabaster oil into their toto and the baby slides out lol seven weeks to go, you should be alright, are you walking daily or doing any sort of excercise and congrats on the baby i'm sure your excited!
Re: First Pregnancy. First Labor. First Baby. How Was It? by Nobody: 10:29pm On Jun 25, 2010
Obatity:

Why do a lot of ppl say this? I hope it's so. . . . I mean, the aftermath feeling of pushing a watermelon through a doughnut hole. . . ouch!
Re: First Pregnancy. First Labor. First Baby. How Was It? by Sissy3(f): 10:35pm On Jun 25, 2010
FL Gators:

Why do a lot of ppl say this? I hope it's so. . . . I mean, the aftermath feeling of pushing a watermelon through a doughnut hole. . . ouch!

alot of people say so because somehow its the norm, whats is expected blah blah. it wouldnt be so nice or 'motherly' of you to say "i couldnt even look at her/him, or i didnt want to see her blah blah etc

however, some women do at least feel a relieve when they see their baby not for many though, the pain is still there, alive and painful and sight of the baby is no instant pain relieve
Re: First Pregnancy. First Labor. First Baby. How Was It? by Nobody: 10:41pm On Jun 25, 2010
~Sissy~:

alot of people say so because somehow its the norm, whats is expected blah blah. it wouldnt be so nice or 'motherly' of you to say "i couldnt even look at her/him, or i didnt want to see her blah blah etc

however, some women do at least feel a relieve when they see their baby not for many though, the pain is still there, alive and painful and sight of the baby is no instant pain relieve
Well, I guess it depends on the individual. lol
Re: First Pregnancy. First Labor. First Baby. How Was It? by AudreyI(f): 1:36pm On Jul 01, 2010
I had my first baby threee months ago, and was it an experience! The pregnancy was very uneventful, and I didn't even realize i was in labour when the time came cos the contractions were mild. Two days later, i was still only 2cm dilated, so my doctor suggested inducing labour. I foolishly agreed because the lady in the bed next to mine had labour induced and had her baby within an hour.

Well what can I say? The pain was excruciating and 5hrs later i had only dilated 6cm. A second dose of pitocin was administered and i began screaming from the pain. Minutes later, my baby forced her way out. I was torn extensively in the vaginal wall. Also got an episiotomy. But the joy of holding my daughter makes it all worth it.

This is an abridged version. The details will make anyone cringe. Remembering still has me cringing.
Re: First Pregnancy. First Labor. First Baby. How Was It? by smartmom(f): 10:58am On Jul 07, 2010
Audrey I:

I had my first baby threee months ago, and was it an experience! The pregnancy was very uneventful, and I didn't even realize i was in labour when the time came cos the contractions were mild. Two days later, i was still only 2cm dilated, so my doctor suggested inducing labour. I foolishly agreed because the lady in the bed next to mine had labour induced and had her baby within an hour.

Well what can I say? The pain was excruciating and 5hrs later i had only dilated 6cm. A second dose of pitocin was administered and i began screaming from the pain. Minutes later, my baby forced her way out. I was torn extensively in the womanly wall. Also got an episiotomy. But the joy of holding my daughter makes it all worth it.

Yes I totally can empathise with you on this. Petocin does have a real kick to labour pains but am sure it was a better option after dilating so slowly. At least you have your baby alive and healthy abi? And of course 3 months is still short time to forget the pains if anyone can reallt forget lol. Next time will be easier I promise.

~Sissy~ link=topic=194554.msg6283538#msg6283538 date=1277501731:

Lol, indeed it would be VERY unwomanly but really, nobody really forgets the pain, its the relieve after an exhilarating labour expereince and a sense of achievement, they mean to say am sure. And of course if you have to face episiotomy like most 1st timers do, the pain is not erased so soon, you still have to stitched which for me is a worse ordeal than the delivery tiself. God helps us or else we wont go a 2nd time.

Re: First Pregnancy. First Labor. First Baby. How Was It? by Ilelobola: 10:12pm On Jul 07, 2010
FL Gators:

The bulk of the pain really does stop immediately the baby is out if there are no major tears etc. However, it might still feel slightly sore for a short period but the soreness is negligible in comparison to the pain of childbirth at least in my experiences and I've had 2 so far.

~Sissy~:

With my 2nd daughter, I couldn't hold her for sometime as I was too tired. My labour lasted about 2-3 hours and I got to hospital 20mins before I had her, at this time it was apparently too late to get any pain relief. Pushing her out had used up all my energy and I was shaking like a jellyfish for several hours after I had her. She was crying for a feed but I just couldn’t hold her. I certainly wouldn’t recommend natural childbirth.
Re: First Pregnancy. First Labor. First Baby. How Was It? by Sissy3(f): 10:25pm On Jul 07, 2010
Ilelobola:

I certainly wouldn’t recommend natural childbirth.

i would still choose natural any-day,anytime. elective CS is a no no for me.
Re: First Pregnancy. First Labor. First Baby. How Was It? by Ilelobola: 11:19pm On Jul 07, 2010
Meant natural childbirth as in no pain relief.
Re: First Pregnancy. First Labor. First Baby. How Was It? by Sissy3(f): 11:30pm On Jul 07, 2010
oh ok.
Re: First Pregnancy. First Labor. First Baby. How Was It? by smartmom(f): 4:11pm On Jul 08, 2010
Ilelobola:

The bulk of the pain really does stop immediately the baby is out if there are no major tears etc. However, it might still feel slightly sore for a short period but the soreness is negligible in comparison to the pain of childbirth at least in my experiences and I've had 2 so far.

With my 2nd daughter, I couldn't hold her for sometime as I was too tired. My labour lasted about 2-3 hours and I got to hospital 20mins before I had her, at this time it was apparently too late to get any pain relief. Pushing her out had used up all my energy and I was shaking like a jellyfish for several hours after I had her. She was crying for a feed but I just couldn’t hold her. I certainly wouldn’t recommend natural childbirth.

Think of the fact that with natural birth, no fears of any complication later in life for mother and child. Besides, the pain no matter how great is still temporary.
Re: First Pregnancy. First Labor. First Baby. How Was It? by Sissy3(f): 1:55am On Jul 09, 2010
smartmom,

she meant natural birth without pain relief of any kind

smartmom:

Think of the fact that with natural birth, no fears of any complication later in life for mother and child. Besides, the pain no matter how great is still temporary.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

16 Costly Mistakes Married Women Make / You’re Going Back To Nigeria - Heartbroken Lady Tells Her Nigerian Husband / Nigerian Parents Give Birth To White Baby (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.