Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,050 members, 7,810,886 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:42 PM

Reps Approve 71 Amendments To Nigerian Constitution - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Reps Approve 71 Amendments To Nigerian Constitution (22645 Views)

Reps Approve Local Government Autonomy / Proposed Amendments To The 1999 Constitution Of The Federal Republic Of Nigeria / Reps Approve $3.7bn Foreign Loan . (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reps Approve 71 Amendments To Nigerian Constitution by miccheck58: 5:29am On Oct 16, 2014
musiwa95:
You are illiterate , nigeria law does not cover anywhere in independent country of the kingdom of western nigeria.. there is no law under international law, you people can make in abuja that cover anyone or anywhere in western nigeria under international law.

The federation of nigeria was dissolve in 1963.. and any agreement awolowo side is null and avoid under international law.

Wetin this one dey talk?

3 Likes

Re: Reps Approve 71 Amendments To Nigerian Constitution by andy24(m): 5:31am On Oct 16, 2014
Sorry for the God's. All these politicians no dey ever tire to thief, still approving pension for life (una be Diamond Bank)

1 Like

Re: Reps Approve 71 Amendments To Nigerian Constitution by Graham123: 5:39am On Oct 16, 2014
Great work from the Senate, with their consistent failure at debating and passing relevant bills and effectively eschewing pertinent and progressive issues in favor of those which will continue the trend of lining their pockets.

State creation? I haven't heard a convincing argument as to how that betters the economy except for the ensuing creation of redundant offices and government positions sans proper plan to improve regional governance.

Life pension for the Senate top positions; don't even get me started on that.

Bypassing the Executive; Well, is that some sort of redistribution of power? Except that the majority party in the legisture will be hysterically laughing somewhere. This can actually be meaningful 'if' the lawmakers know what they doing. Fifteen years of democracy have shown zero evidence of that so I won't hold my breath.

The sole candidacy stuff is okay but seriously who's gonna vote for a sole candidate in this country. Well I will, I will vote for any anybody except the usual suspects.

Funding for only democratically-elected local goverment is highly thoughtful. Maybe our lawmakers aren't 100% dumbfucccks afterall.

2 Likes

Re: Reps Approve 71 Amendments To Nigerian Constitution by TeamSimple(m): 5:43am On Oct 16, 2014
So they don't knw the constitution needs amendment before abi..I don't even know what they do in that house to earn so much millions. Well I think I should go there and check for myself.
Re: Reps Approve 71 Amendments To Nigerian Constitution by Nobody: 5:44am On Oct 16, 2014
blizard44:
I stopped reading at that point where a possible referendum, which has been my wish, as to the National Conference's resolutions was mercilessly stabbed and stylishly bypassed.

We're not yet ready for any tangible difference.
Imagine they are even giving the senate and rep leaders life pension ...... Whereas salient issues like legislation on referendum has been bypassed !!
Re: Reps Approve 71 Amendments To Nigerian Constitution by Nobody: 5:58am On Oct 16, 2014
Life pension
Re: Reps Approve 71 Amendments To Nigerian Constitution by Nobody: 6:03am On Oct 16, 2014
donroxy:
Imagine they are even giving the senate and rep leaders life pension ...... Whereas salient issues like legislation on referendum has been bypassed !!
That's the unfortunate thing.

A french-like revolution we desire.

2 Likes

Re: Reps Approve 71 Amendments To Nigerian Constitution by IdomaLikita: 6:14am On Oct 16, 2014
This falls just short of Treason! angry
Re: Reps Approve 71 Amendments To Nigerian Constitution by paulsir: 6:14am On Oct 16, 2014
sharia and islamic word on naira should be removed from the constitutions,we are secular country and not an islamic state.

4 Likes

Re: Reps Approve 71 Amendments To Nigerian Constitution by IdomaLikita: 6:17am On Oct 16, 2014
This falls just short of Treason! angry

Selfish Bastards!
What happens to the 70yr Truck Pusher who gets too Old to continue his job and has no kids?

1 Like

Re: Reps Approve 71 Amendments To Nigerian Constitution by tazammal: 6:39am On Oct 16, 2014
Most of the amendments here if not all borders on their own personal gain. I tire for our Legislature. The pattern of voting in legislators should be changed so that an average common man can have confidence in them and they should also amend that whenever a house member isn't functioning well,
Re: Reps Approve 71 Amendments To Nigerian Constitution by Tymax(m): 6:59am On Oct 16, 2014
Life pension for senate president, speaker and their deputies? What a waste! They want to be paid pension after spending their tenure milking the country dry. Is this important?

This is bad.

As for the National Conference, I knew they would throw the request for referendum out the window. These lawmakers are morally bankrupt. The whole lot of them.

There is no politician who actually wants to do anything FOR NIGERIA. Corruption unites all of them in the National Assembly.

6 Likes

Re: Reps Approve 71 Amendments To Nigerian Constitution by tellwisdom: 7:03am On Oct 16, 2014
And how does this put garri on my table?? sad
Re: Reps Approve 71 Amendments To Nigerian Constitution by nduchucks: 7:09am On Oct 16, 2014
The Reps approved 71 recommendations which came from the Constitutional Review Commitee and completely ignored GEJ and the National Conference recommendations.

This concludes that the formation of the National Conference was nothing but a sham - a disgrace to its participants. The billions of naira wasted on the conference could have been used on real poverty eradication programs which could save lives.

2 Likes

Re: Reps Approve 71 Amendments To Nigerian Constitution by swaz(m): 7:15am On Oct 16, 2014
The re only thinking of hw to better their lives not the life of NIGERIANS...................... Criminals GOD dey
Re: Reps Approve 71 Amendments To Nigerian Constitution by Hamazz1: 7:30am On Oct 16, 2014
y isnt anybdy tlking abt ds life pension for president n deputy senate president speaker n deputy speaker more importantly hw mch will it.
Re: Reps Approve 71 Amendments To Nigerian Constitution by anonimi: 7:40am On Oct 16, 2014
soldierdollar:

The report will be forwarded to the 36 state Houses of Assembly for their concurrence.
The 71 amendments approved by the lower house border on legislative immunity, local government autonomy, state creation, indigeneship and citizenship.
Some others are independent candidacy in elections, budgetary process, life pension for National Assembly heads and role for traditional rulers.
An alteration of Section 7 among others, stops revenue allocation from the Federation Account to local governments that are not democratically elected.
They also approved the dissolution of local government administrations at the expiration of four years commencing from the date the members of councils were sworn in.
While altering Section 59, the lawmakers also voted to bypass the president if he failed to sign a bill presented to him within 30 days.
“Within seven days, the President of the Senate shall convene a joint sitting of the National Assembly to reconsider the bill.
“And if passed by two-thirds majority of members of both Houses at such joint sitting, the Bill shall become law and the assent of the President shall not be required,” the conference report reads.
In other constitution amendments, house members also approved independent candidacy in elections in Nigeria.

Finally our loafing legislooters get busy!
Quite a few amendments to further strenghten and deepen our democratic culture and develop our INSTITUTIONS.

Africa does not need great men, it needs great INSTITUTIONS - Barrack Hussein Obama, POTUS
Re: Reps Approve 71 Amendments To Nigerian Constitution by samseen02(m): 7:45am On Oct 16, 2014
kenbee:
The report will be forwarded to the 36 state Houses of
Assembly for their concurrence.

NOTE: House of Assembly does not exit in Rivers & Edo States. Just forward to 34 states for now!

LMAO
Re: Reps Approve 71 Amendments To Nigerian Constitution by GlorifiedTunde(m): 7:46am On Oct 16, 2014
All that National Conference is just a waste of time and money? cry cry

I wish we Nigerians can do something to put these thieves in their place.

The excerpts of the National conference is where to begin any amendments from. Ish!
Re: Reps Approve 71 Amendments To Nigerian Constitution by brownlord: 7:53am On Oct 16, 2014
Now where are the APC "change" crew to do justice to this rubbish? Or don't we have apc members in that house who should be fighting for the common man? The useless amendment is to secure more wealth for them and their family while 90 percent of Nigerians are left with no bread to eat. You tell the sai buhari, GEJ till their early grave animals that their pay masters are one and same just in different party to deceive Nigerians they insult you.

Great nation, fooolish people

3 Likes

Re: Reps Approve 71 Amendments To Nigerian Constitution by ocee31(m): 8:01am On Oct 16, 2014
Thank God I'm done with law school
Re: Reps Approve 71 Amendments To Nigerian Constitution by ITbomb(m): 8:09am On Oct 16, 2014
MissyDivah:
71 Amendments To Nigerian Constitution That Will Favor The Nigerian Politicians Useless People lipsrsealed
Have you even read the amendments yet? Useless comment

1 Like

Re: Reps Approve 71 Amendments To Nigerian Constitution by anonimi: 8:11am On Oct 16, 2014
GlorifiedTunde:
All that National Conference is just a waste of time and money? cry cry

I wish we Nigerians can do something to put these thieves in their place.

The excerpts of the National conference is where to begin any amendments from. Ish!

Quite the contrary!
The National Conference organised by Jonathan is what has given impetus and pressure to this reaction from our otherwise lazy & loafing legislooters.

ITbomb:

Have you even read the amendments yet? Useless comment

I concur.....very useless comment indeed.
Someone who has no clue about what is going on, opens his/her mouth (or rather strikes his keyboard) to actually confirm that s/he is clueless shocked

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Reps Approve 71 Amendments To Nigerian Constitution by OLEBRUKU(m): 8:18am On Oct 16, 2014
Rubbish! Next story please...
Re: Reps Approve 71 Amendments To Nigerian Constitution by focus7: 8:21am On Oct 16, 2014
70% self serving legislation and too much power going to house of assembly.
Re: Reps Approve 71 Amendments To Nigerian Constitution by greaterlove(m): 8:38am On Oct 16, 2014
anonimi:

Quite the contrary!
The National Conference organised by Jonathan is what has given impetus and pressure to this reaction from our otherwise lazy & loafing legislooters.

I concur.....very useless comment indeed. Someone who has no clue about what is going on, opens his mouth (or rather strikes his keyboard) to actually confirm that he his clueless shocked
I agree with you, 71 recommendations was made and what most people are fixative on is the life pension for house leaders.
I am not really a fan of state creation but the autonomy for local government gives me so much joy.
Let those who think the national conference was a waste bring out the amemdments reached by the conference and lets compare it with this.
Re: Reps Approve 71 Amendments To Nigerian Constitution by anonimi: 8:45am On Oct 16, 2014
greaterlove:

I agree with you, 71 recommendations was made and what most people are fixative on is the life pension for house leaders.
I am not really a fan of state creation but the autonomy for local government gives me so much joy.
Let those who think the national conference was a waste bring out the amemdments reached by the conference and lets compare it with this.

Thanks a million......may there be more Nigerians like you to create the necessary CRITICAL MASS for moving our country forward permanently.
Re: Reps Approve 71 Amendments To Nigerian Constitution by anonimi: 8:51am On Oct 16, 2014
focus7:
70% self serving legislation and too much power going to house of assembly.

Kindly explain what you mean by the highlighted vis-a-vis the power to the state houses of assembly under the 1999 constitution (as amended till date).
Thanks.
Re: Reps Approve 71 Amendments To Nigerian Constitution by Nobody: 8:52am On Oct 16, 2014
good move

1 Like

Re: Reps Approve 71 Amendments To Nigerian Constitution by backtosender: 10:07am On Oct 16, 2014
so we are going to get 7 states
Re: Reps Approve 71 Amendments To Nigerian Constitution by eunisam: 10:07am On Oct 16, 2014
I didn't see where ordinary citizen will benefit apart from the law makers.what a country!
Re: Reps Approve 71 Amendments To Nigerian Constitution by anonimi: 10:10am On Oct 16, 2014
backtosender:
so we are going to get 7 states

Where did you get the seven states from
Did you note that there will now be a referendum BEFORE any new state is created?

The lawmakers also backed the adoption of referendum for state creation.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Judges Boycott Courts In Abuja To Protest Arrest Of Colleagues / Biafra: You Have No Right To Stop Election In Igbo Land – Orji Kalu Tells Kanu / "Nigerians Now Enjoy Better Electricity Than In The Past" - Babatunde Fashola.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.