Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,175 members, 7,815,107 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:25 AM

All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! - Sports (137) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! (697495 Views)

Nigeria's U-23 Team Land In Lagos Following AFCON Victory (Photos) / Samson Siasia Flaunts The U-23 Trophy And His Medal (Photo) / All The News About The Golden Eaglets (U-17) HERE! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (134) (135) (136) (137) (138) (139) (140) ... (341) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BlackAlbino6(m): 5:25pm On Jan 10, 2016
Icon4s:

As an Arsenal fan myself I will say Wenger is at it again. He has jst chuned out another Fabregas more like in the mode of Mesut Ozil. Iwobi showed so much display of confidence and maturity. Nt afraid of going forward and taking on defenders. He hardly made any faulty pass and was even d initiator of the Arsenal's equalizer. I go in the line of TheGoodJoe that training with d best coaches and players is a lot deal jst like the Iheanacho case too. Iwobi must have learnt alot from some1 like Ozil that he came on d pitch and we saw a replica of Ozil . Knowing Wenger for hu he is Iwobi might get some more playing time going forward.

Yes you are on point, but theory and practice is what makes a student to learn better.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 5:53pm On Jan 10, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

Oga chill "he's not there yet".

Yes of course. He is nt there yet. Atleast I didnt say he has replaced Ozil. grin
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by forgiveness: 6:03pm On Jan 10, 2016
BlackAlbino6:
Oga Forgiveness food don don

oya comot com chop

your boy still de do am. gringrin

[size=14pt]
AF Nigeria Premier League 2015/2016 Chelsea
Chelsea loanee Solanke sinks Anderlecht
[/size]

Solanke has been going great guns at Vitesse on loan from Chelsea

Nigerian-born England youth international Dominic Solanke scored a brace to earn his Dutch Eredivise side Vitesse Arnhem 2-1 win over Belgian club Anderlecht on Friday in a pre-season friendly.

Solanke, who is on loan at the Dutch club from Chelsea, has been going great guns for the team and he scored the opening goal of the game in the second minute.

He scored the winner to complete a brace in the 63rd minute.
The 18-year-old forward has scored five goals in 15 league games this season.
africanfootball.com/news/599670/Chelsea-loanee-Solanke-sinks-Anderlecht

grin you are tickling my fancy with this news, you know. grin
The boy is too good to be ignored. Chai! Somebody bench warmers go catch cold ooo. grin

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by forgiveness: 6:10pm On Jan 10, 2016
enomakos:
nope
isaac and ezekiel are better and more experienced than him

Of course, they are more experienced than him because they play regularly. That's all.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BascoVanVeli(m): 6:20pm On Jan 10, 2016
Icon4s:

Yes of course. He is nt there yet. Atleast I didnt say he has replaced Ozil. grin

U compared him to Fabregas and said he was a replica of Ozil, if someone else said such u would have gon on and on about them hyping the player and not giving him time.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by forgiveness: 6:29pm On Jan 10, 2016
terzurum5:

I rate Nacho above these guys.
Because if Nacho where given the kind of support those players got uptill today. He would have become better, but I still rate him above all of them.

What I wanted to say was that if he where of the British origin, would they still have treated him the same way he is today?

Seriously, so, you mean you rate Nacho above Sterling and Dele Alli? shocked grin

Bros, tell me say you dey play na. grin
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by forgiveness: 6:32pm On Jan 10, 2016
terzurum5:
[b][size=14pt]
Simon Hits Brace In Gent Win
[/size]

By Johnny Edward:
Nigerian winger Moses Simon scored a brace for Gent in their 5-0 win over German second division side FC Würzburger Kickerson Friday.

Simon who recently wedded his sweetheart Ibukun in Ibadan last year scored his first goal of the encounter in the 61st minute after waltzing through the Kickers' defence for his side's third goal.

The Nigeria international however completed his brace 15 minutes later after his deflected shot beat Dominik Brunnhübner in goal for the German side as the Belgian Champions began their winter pre-season on a winning note.

Moses has found the back of the net twice in 16 games for Gent who currently lead the Belgian Pro League with 43 points from 21 games two points adrift second placed Anderlecht who they host at the restart of the League on the 17th of January.
www.completesportsnigeria.com/simon-hits-brace-in-gent-win/
[/b]

Thank God he has started scoring goals.

2 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by forgiveness: 6:39pm On Jan 10, 2016
Icon4s:

My friend u said Taiwo Awoniyi was nt on same planet with Ajayi, mayb jst bc Ajayi was a 3SC player and Awoniyi then jst signed for Liverpool and loaned to Eintranct Frankfurt. I was only proving to u in that argument that Ajayi was more suited than Awoniyi as d main striker of that U23. U can judge from the performances of d two strikers in dat CAF U23 tourney

See the mistake u guys make is to underate youth players from the NPFL. Sooner or later u guys will find out that many of those Europe groomed players are nt much better than the NPFL youth players. Players like Etebor, Sokari, Okechukwu, Dimgba and Etor may b better than all the likes of Solanke, Sadiq Umar et al . Even Kelechi Iheanacho will have to up his game to break into d starting 11 of that team as u may know that Sokari & Etebor play similar roles as Iheanacho.

And yes Ighalo is in a blazing form and he took d world by surprise. I am sure at 3-4 months ago u wouldnt have thought that Ighalo would have scored 14 goals by half of the season.However, i would still nt rate him as among the best strikers in d world yet. Lets see him sustain this form to d end of d season and or mayb play in Manunited(as being rumoured) and still maintain that goal scoring form.

U implied I am in d habit of putting the "nt yet there" tag on our young players. I rather see it as u guys being too quick to hype young players. A player scores 2 goals in 2 appearances for AS Roma and next thing " he has replaced Dzeko", "he should b invited to the Super Eagles", "he should be in Rio". Plus all the Hype on Awoniyi and Iheanacho. I am nt taking anything away from these young lads. My wish is for them to become super stars bt the thing is we are always too quick to rate them as Super Stars.

Many young African players end up like "a flash in the pan". They only do well as teenagers and feassle out when it matters most.
I have been following youths football keenly since the mid 1980s so I know what I am talking abt. I have learnt that MOST promising talents dont end up living up to expectations.

Do you mean players like Ronaldo, Messi, Ozil, Inesta etcetera groomed in Europe are not better than NPFL players? grin
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by forgiveness: 6:44pm On Jan 10, 2016
Badosqi:
abi ooo. Iheanacho should be playing regularly. He played over 80mins today, that is the kind of playing time we want for him not 3 mins-5mins injury time.

I concur.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 6:48pm On Jan 10, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

U compared him to Fabregas and said he was a replica of Ozil, if someone else said such u would have gon on and on about them hyping the player and not giving him time.

There is a difference. I never said he is better than Fabregas or Ozil or in a different class from them. Remember i said Wenger may jst give him more playing time and nt Wenger should field him ahead of Ozil, Ramsey or Sanchez.
Alex Iwobi IS NOT YET THERE. He is a promising prospect for both Arsenal and Nigeria bt i cannot say he is capable of rubbing shoulders with the senior players in Arsenal.

The pt is. I appreciate young talents bt one thing i dnt do is hype them. The Alex Iwobi that we are talking abt may nt even perform as well as he did in his next game. Yes he did well against Sunderland and put up a near man of the match performance that doesnt make me think he could easily break into d first team of Chelsea, Liverpool or Manunited. And that doesnt make me think he can easily break into d Super Eagles first 11.

Why I had issues with most people's rating of Iheanacho earlier in d season was mostly based on d premise that this was first season. Yes he featured in d pre-season friendlies and showed plenty of promises. I had to wait to see him play a couple of EPL and Cup games to really rate him. And as I said in an earlier post i rate him now higher than i rated at d begining of the season. I knew he was a great talent all along bt saying he was better than Navas, Boney, Dzeko is an over hype to me.

Sadiq Umar is a talented player. I had to watch him yesterday mainly bc of u and forgiveness. The boy showed plenty of promises with brilliant runs and good eye for goal and i will only say he had a good game for an 18yrs old in his first Seria A season. There is no way i'll say he has replaced Dzeko. And i still say Sadiq is an U20 material and may nt b ripe for d Super Eagles yet. He may also b invited for the U23.

So my brother understand me when i say a player is nt there yet. It only means there is still room for improvement in the player as he matures and gains more experience.

2 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Caspian22(m): 6:49pm On Jan 10, 2016
Icon4s , BascoVanVeli and joseph1013 I have all your points. and they are all cool. I am a positive person that hopes for the best.
BascoVanVeli - who do you prefer as our right full back= nura abdulahhi or musa Mohammed or elohor ekpolo
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 6:54pm On Jan 10, 2016
Caspian22:
Icon4s , BascoVanVeli and joseph1013 I have all your points. and they are all cool. I am a positive person that hopes for the best.
BascoVanVeli - who do you prefer as our right full back= nura abdulahhi or musa Mohammed or elohor ekpolo

Right full back for which team? U20, U23, or Super Eagles?
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BascoVanVeli(m): 7:12pm On Jan 10, 2016
Caspian22:

Musa Mohammed to me is the best fullback prospect Nigeria has. What he does going forward can't be understated. To me he is far ahead of his peers.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 7:29pm On Jan 10, 2016
BlackAlbino6:

Yes you are on point, but theory and practice is what makes a student to learn better.

Are u suggesting training sessions are done in classrooms?

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 7:33pm On Jan 10, 2016
forgiveness:

Do you mean players like Ronaldo, Messi, Ozil, Inesta etcetera groomed in Europe are not better than NPFL players? grin

Last time i checked those players u mentioned are nt Nigerians. Give me a list of Nigerian players groomed in Europe and what they have contributed to d national team.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BascoVanVeli(m): 7:45pm On Jan 10, 2016
Icon4s:

There is a difference. I never said he is better than Fabregas or Ozil or in a different class from them. Remember i said Wenger may jst give him more playing time and nt Wenger should field him ahead of Ozil, Ramsey or Sanchez.
Alex Iwobi IS NOT YET THERE. He is a promising prospect for both Arsenal and Nigeria bt i cannot say he is capable of rubbing shoulders with the senior players in Arsenal.

The pt is. I appreciate young talents bt one thing i dnt do is hype them. The Alex Iwobi that we are talking abt may nt even perform as well as he did in his next game. Yes he did well against Sunderland and put up a near man of the match performance that doesnt make me think he could easily break into d first team of Chelsea, Liverpool or Manunited. And that doesnt make me think he can easily break into d Super Eagles first 11.

Why I had issues with most people's rating of Iheanacho earlier in d season was mostly based on d premise that this was first season. Yes he featured in d pre-season friendlies and showed plenty of promises. I had to wait to see him play a couple of EPL and Cup games to really rate him. And as I said in an earlier post i rate him now higher than i rated at d begining of the season. I knew he was a great talent all along bt saying he was better than Navas, Boney, Dzeko is an over hype to me.

Sadiq Umar is a talented player. I had to watch him yesterday mainly bc of u and forgiveness. The boy showed plenty of promises with brilliant runs and good eye for goal and i will only say he had a good game for an 18yrs old in his first Seria A season. There is no way i'll say he has replaced Dzeko. And i still say Sadiq is an U20 material and may nt b ripe for d Super Eagles yet. He may also b invited for the U23.

So my brother understand me when i say a player is nt there yet. It only means there is still room for improvement in the player as he matures and gains more experience.

Never did I say Sadiq was better than Dzeko, i did say he displaced him in the starting line-up.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Petrobros: 8:09pm On Jan 10, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

Never did I say Sadiq was better than Dzeko, i did say he displaced him in the starting line-up.

I dnt usually comment here often bt let me comment on this. What u said was that "Sadiq Umar has displace Edin Dzeko in the Roma line up". It is different from saying "Umar displaced Dzeko". "Has" in the first statement is a present continuous tense. Meaning that Umar is now the top striker for AS Roma.

U guys are always quick in hyping some of these young players. Mr icon4s is one of the very few pple that are objective in that regards here. Most of those our youth players "are not yet there" grin
I also love TheGoodJoe' comments bt at times he gets carried away by his love for "Nacho".
Forgiveness and Bascovanveli seemed to have formed an allie in arguments and i respect there pts of view alot too.

U guys are great analysts. I love ur arguments. Peace!

2 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by tbaba1234: 9:02pm On Jan 10, 2016
Musa Muhammad got red carded today. Straight red. Haven't watched the highlights.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Caspian22(m): 9:13pm On Jan 10, 2016
Icon4s:

Right full back for which team? U20, U23, or Super Eagles?
Overall...
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by forgiveness: 9:23pm On Jan 10, 2016
Icon4s:

Last time i checked those players u mentioned are nt Nigerians. Give me a list of Nigerian players groomed in Europe and what they have contributed to d national team.

Your comparison was between players groomed in Europe and the players groomed in Nigeria.

You mean Nigerian players that were groomed in Europe and what they have contributed/contributing to d national teams in Europe grin

1, David_Alaba, Austria
2, Rose Barkley, England
3, Dele Alli, England
4, Dennis Aogo, Germany
5, Patrick Owomoyela, Germany
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by tbaba1234: 2:45am On Jan 11, 2016
Should Iwobi play 10 for the eagles (not necessarily as a starter) ? He showed his potential in the cup game and his eye for a pass. Perhaps, he should play through the centre instead of the wings.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by tbaba1234: 4:36am On Jan 11, 2016
I remember complaining about the greed of agents affecting the deals for Yahaya. Now, Manchester city have suspended the contract talks with Iheanacho over legal tussle between agents fighting over him.

Apart from Isaac Success, no Nigerian youth player in recent times has moved smoothly. Parents, agents and academies all fighting for their cut. Yahaya's move to spurs did not go through due to agent wahala. Now he will play in what I think is a low division for his ability.

Portuguese 2nd division is not the same as English Championship in terms of competitiveness or standard.

Let's hope there is no trouble with Osimhen when he turns 18.

The constant wrangling over money must stop.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 6:03am On Jan 11, 2016
forgiveness:

Your comparison was between players groomed in Europe and the players groomed in Nigeria.

You mean Nigerian players that were groomed in Europe and what they have contributed/contributing to d national teams in Europe grin

1, David_Alaba, Austria
2, Rose Barkley, England
3, Dele Alli, England
4, Dennis Aogo, Germany
5, Patrick Owomoyela, Germany

When I say "the national team" I am sure u know which national team I am talking abt.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 6:19am On Jan 11, 2016
tbaba1234:
Should Iwobi play 10 for the eagles (not necessarily as a starter) ? He showed his potential in the cup game and his eye for a pass. Perhaps, he should play through the centre instead of the wings.

Dnt b too quick bro. We know y Oliseh capped him was to secure his nationality as a Nigerian. We should talk abt his chances at the Olympic team . For now i dnt think he has that physique to weather through the African defences and even make those passes on our bumpy pitches. Iheanacho, Etebor and Sokari can also play that number 10 position for the U23. Although Etebor can also play from the wing and central midfield. The Olympic team is gonna b very competitive. It is left for Iwobi to prove to the Siasia led crew that he is better than Etebor, Iheanacho and Sokari. He alternatively can b picked as a winger.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 6:22am On Jan 11, 2016
Caspian22:

Overall...

Apart from Mohammed, i have nt seen the other two guys play. So i can't do the comparison.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 6:25am On Jan 11, 2016
Petrobros:

I dnt usually comment here often bt let me comment on this. What u said was that "Sadiq Umar has displace Edin Dzeko in the Roma line up". It is different from saying "Umar displaced Dzeko". "Has" in the first statement is a present continuous tense. Meaning that Umar is now the top striker for AS Roma.

U guys are always quick in hyping some of these young players. Mr icon4s is one of the very few pple that are objective in that regards here. Most of those our youth players "are not yet there" grin
I also love TheGoodJoe' comments bt at times he gets carried away by his love for "Nacho".
Forgiveness and Bascovanveli seemed to have formed an allie in arguments and i respect there pts of view alot too.

U guys are great analysts. I love ur arguments. Peace!

This man.... na wa for u o. grin
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 6:27am On Jan 11, 2016
tbaba1234:
Musa Muhammad got red carded today. Straight red. Haven't watched the highlights.

Too bad. But that is part of the game as a defender.

Remembering those days of "If you miss the ball dnt miss the leg"! grin
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by tbaba1234: 7:15am On Jan 11, 2016
Icon4s:

Dnt b too quick bro. We know y Oliseh capped him was to secure his nationality as a Nigerian. We should talk abt his chances at the Olympic team . For now i dnt think he has that physique to weather through the African defences and even make those passes on our bumpy pitches. Iheanacho, Etebor and Sokari can also play that number 10 position for the U23. Although Etebor can also play from the wing and central midfield. The Olympic team is gonna b very competitive. It is left for Iwobi to prove to the Siasia led crew that he is better than Etebor, Iheanacho and Sokari. He alternatively can b picked as a winger.

I don't rate sokari.. Iwobi is a big boy, I am sure he will be OK with the physical aspect. For the Olympics, he won't have to worry about African football. Iheanacho can play on either wing of a three-pronged attack as well.

I feel the middle might be a better position for Iwobi. He does not impress me on the wings, as much. Too early to say. Let him play a few more games in that position. I will not be surprised if wenger grooms him for a centre midfield role.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by forgiveness: 8:40am On Jan 11, 2016
Caspian22:
I always tell anybody I discuss football with that Nigeria's golden generation is coming soon.

But they are only two problems hindering that.

1. The failure to scout potential youngsters whether abroad or in Nigeria. I remembered when I was shouting Dele Alli b4 he shone at MK dons. What about bobby adekanye that barca got banned so, they said he was messi's favorite youngster. Amuneke didn't make effort to invite him to the U17, now he's with Holland.
I am not just talking about abroad youths alone. Daniel Emmanuel, the goalkeeper that did so wonderfully well at CAF U23 wasn't invited to the CHAN tourney. I understand that competition for shirts is tough but give youth a chance.

2. If you are talking about the next generation stars in naija football. You'll mention, iheanacho, success, awoniyi, osimhen, iwobi, nwakali, alampasu, ndidi.
Did you notice something wrong? No. Yes. They are no defenders. No matter how big naija's youth pool is. it will mostly comprise of attacking talent. Who can you say is the top defender naija can rely on in the future? even if you name some. how many? is it iorfa? that has already played for England.
If we begin to groom more quality defenders we can talk about that golden generation.

Thank you

1, My bro the thing just tire me. So, after all the plea to play for his father land Amunike still ignored that lad personally loved and groomed by Messi. Now, he has chosen Holland over Nigeria and tomorrow he will become another Alaba and Dele Alli. What a shame. Last U17 players were not as impressed as Kelechi Iheanacho set anywhere. I can only spot 4 potentially good players but the rest are below average. Amunike knew he was going to be given a bad name hence he regetted to led the U17 again. He knew his selection was bias and if he did it for the second time his image and reputation will be tarnished forever in Nigerian football hence he resigned. I still dey observe am.

2, We have good defenders too but unfortunately some of them have been ignored for far. It not necessary we focus only on players groomed in Nigeria. We should just focus on any good players from anywhere.

Right back :Moses Odubanjo(Hull City, England) Tyronne Ebuechi( Ado Den Haag, Holland) and Dominic Iorfa(Wolverhampton-fc) are still eligible to play for Nigeria and they can all play as right back. Abdullahi-shehu(Uniao Madeira, Portugal), Musa Muhammad( Turkey) and Nura Abdullahi of Roma fc are also right back players. Elohor ekpolo will soon graduate to Barcelona main team.

Left back: I have not seen any player in mold of Celestine Babayaro and Taye Taiwo in this position until now. Kingsley Madu of Trecin, Slovakia is the one I suspect to reach that height if he plays for a good club.

Center back: Kenneth Otigba (Heerenveen, Holland), Tiago Ilori (Liverpool, Holland), Manuel Akanji( Basel, Switzerland), Gbenga Akokoyo (Turkey), Kenneth Omerue (Turkey) , Derek Osadebe (Bolton Wanderer) and Troost-ekong (Gent, Belgium) are good center back.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 9:02am On Jan 11, 2016
forgiveness:

Seriously, so, you mean you rate Nacho above Sterling and Dele Alli? shocked grin

Bros, tell me say you dey play na. grin

That is if he gets the quality of game time to express himself just like the duo, why not?
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 9:06am On Jan 11, 2016
forgiveness:

Thank God he has started scoring goals.

A sign of good omen for the the Olympics Team and Super Eagles.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by forgiveness: 9:39am On Jan 11, 2016
Icon4s:

I think Abdul Ajagun is also a good number 10 and I think he's ahead of all these players because he plays regularly on that position for his club. He is also on course for the Olympics football game.

(1) (2) (3) ... (134) (135) (136) (137) (138) (139) (140) ... (341) (Reply)

Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread / The NBA Begins / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.