Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,354 members, 7,829,896 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 01:16 PM

All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! - Sports (139) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! (700134 Views)

Nigeria's U-23 Team Land In Lagos Following AFCON Victory (Photos) / Samson Siasia Flaunts The U-23 Trophy And His Medal (Photo) / All The News About The Golden Eaglets (U-17) HERE! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (136) (137) (138) (139) (140) (141) (142) ... (341) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BascoVanVeli(m): 7:25pm On Jan 11, 2016
joseph1013:

Excuses! How can you know if we don't want to try someone else. Let him take the back seat and watch someone else attempt to do so, pal.

So a question for u ole buddy ole pal, who is that somebody? Cuz we have not had a consistent attacking midfielder in years.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 7:47pm On Jan 11, 2016
tbaba1234:

Forgiven

I have nothing against him. From what I have seen, he is not good enough. I am not the first person saying it. Some journalists have expressed similar sentiment.

Not good enough for which team? The Olympic team or the Super Eagles?
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by joseph1013: 8:20pm On Jan 11, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

So a question for u ole buddy ole pal, who is that somebody? Cuz we have not had a consistent attacking midfielder in years.

The answer opens up when you consider the players we have not tried. They have been mentioned today.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by tbaba1234: 8:36pm On Jan 11, 2016
Icon4s:

Not good enough for which team? The Olympic team or the Super Eagles?

The Olympic team is as close to the Super Eagles at it comes. I believe that everyone in the Olympic team should stand a chance of breaking into the Super eagles.

I do not see Sokari leading our midfield. I can see Etebor making the step up, for instance.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 8:45pm On Jan 11, 2016
tbaba1234:

The Olympic team is as close to the Super Eagles at it comes. I believe that everyone in the Olympic team should stand a chance of breaking into the Super eagles.

I do not see Sokari leading our midfield. I can see Etebor making the step up, for instance.

So between Iheanacho and Etebor hu do u rate higher in that position?

Jst give a simple and honest answer. Dnt be scared of the "Nacho" fans attack. grin
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BascoVanVeli(m): 9:04pm On Jan 11, 2016
joseph1013:

The answer opens up when you consider the players we have not tried. They have been mentioned today.

Let me be honest sometimes i don't know who is who in our midfield. Seems like they all do the same duties.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 9:19pm On Jan 11, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

Let me be honest sometimes i don't know who is who in our midfield. Seems like they all do the same duties.

It is no news that the last midfield maestro we had was Austine Okocha.Joel Obi would have been his successor bt ... u know his story.

However, two fantastic central midfielders have jst emerged: Kelechi Nwakali and Azubuike Okechukwu both 17 & 18 yrs olds respectively. These are midfielders that boss oppositions jst like Okocha did during his days. Midfielders that can single handedly influence d course of a game. We are tired of the Mikelish timid kind of midfielders. We can only hope Azubuike and Nwakali progress well and live up to our expectations.

I would like to see them both play d next U20. One of which can b made to play a more forward role (AM) prefarably Nwakali due to his excellent passing skills, dribbling abilitied and good eye for goals.Let him play jst behind Osimhen or Sadiq Umar or hu ever emerges d first choice Centre forward.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by safarigirl(f): 10:57pm On Jan 11, 2016
Anyway....just in case anyone is in the mood to feel good about being Nigerian, here are some comments made by foreign media on Kelechi's FA Cup performance

MEN:

Manchester City: Why Kelechi Iheanacho
must start against Everton

http://
www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/
incoming/manchester-city-kelechi-
iheanacho-must-10688470

Mail
Produced a terrific, instinctive finish to
help ease City past Norwich and score his
fifth goal of the season on only his third
start. He has made 11 appearances off
the bench. He also showed good link-up
play, flicking on a long ball in the move for
Kevin De Buryne’s goal.

Sergio Aguero and Kelechi Iheanacho show
Manuel Pellegrini that 4-4-2 can be a useful
weapon in race for Premier League title

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...-
race-Premier-League-
title.html#ixzz3wxIhjhLb

ESPN

FW Kelechi Iheanacho, 8/10 -- The
youngster appears to be fearless. He took
his goal on his weaker foot very well and
showed some excellent link-up with
Aguero. There were also some good
chances where he tested John Ruddy and
was unlucky not to find the net more than
once.

Guardian:
Iheanacho begins to shine at Manchester
City

Many Manchester City supporters have
been keen to see more of Kelechi
Iheanacho, if necessary at the expense of
Wilfried Bony, and against Norwich the 19-
year-old demonstrated he is a very
genuine striking option for Manuel
Pellegrini, either starting or from the
bench. Strong and aware, Iheanacho
appears to be an instinctive and precise
finisher with a maturity that belies his
youth, and what was also evident on
Saturday was that his team-mates trust
him with the ball. With Sergio Agüero
almost back to his best, the emergence of
Iheanacho as both a foil for the brilliant
Argentinian and a goal-scorer in his own
right could be crucial as City pursue
success in four competitions.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/
blog/2016/jan/11/fa-cup-talking-points-
third-round

Times

At 19, Kelechi Iheanacho is still finding his
way in the game but his performance here,
in which he ran Norwich City ragged and
scored a fine opportunistic effort, will give
more credence to those who want the
young forward to be given the chance to
shine on a more regular occurrence.
Iheanacho, working alongside a
frighteningly efficient Sergio Agüero, not
only adds pace and presence but also
possesses vision and awareness beyond
his years.
The Nigerian, who first caught the eye
while playing at the 2013 under-17 World
Cup, could become one of City’s most
exciting talents in years should he
maintain his trajectory.
Iheanacho could retain his place for
Wednesday’s Barclays Premier League game
at home to Everton with Bony unlikely to
have recovered from a calf injury

They also gave him a rating of 8/10

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/public/
football/article4661.ece

Finally, Yaya has had his say;
“Yes, I am very close to Kelechi and he
sees me as his mentor,” Yaya told
SportingLife.

“I see him closely and I trust him and I
have been trying to push him up. I know
what I have done to encourage him to
continue to believe in his talent.
“I see him as one of my younger brothers
coming through one day. I hope that
Kelechi can be one of the top players on
the field in the future.”
https://www.naij.com/692555-yaya-toure-
describes-relationship-iheanacho.html

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by tbaba1234: 11:59pm On Jan 11, 2016
Icon4s:

So between Iheanacho and Etebor hu do u rate higher in that position?

Jst give a simple and honest answer. Dnt be scared of the "Nacho" fans attack. grin

I rate iheanacho higher to be honest. That kid is a natural. Etebor is quite impressive with his power and pace but Iheanacho is the most natural finisher Nigeria has produced in a while. Potentially a superstar.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 5:28am On Jan 12, 2016
tbaba1234:

I rate iheanacho higher to be honest. That kid is a natural. Etebor is quite impressive with his power and pace but Iheanacho is the most natural finisher Nigeria has produced in a while. Potentially a superstar.

Ok.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by zuchyblink(m): 6:28am On Jan 12, 2016
we now have 3 No. 10: Iheanacho,Etebor and Iwobi
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by linked: 6:58am On Jan 12, 2016
Even if Nacho has to stay on the bench for the reminder of the season, He dare not seek for a lone move this january...
The prospect of winning the league, league cup and possibly FA cup is too good to let go

2 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by forgiveness: 7:42am On Jan 12, 2016
zuchyblink:
we now have 3 No. 10: Iheanacho,Etebor and Iwobi

No Sir, we have 4 No. 10: Abdul Ajagun, Kelechi Iheanacho, Etebor and Iwobi ( I have not seen him play in that wing).
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by forgiveness: 8:11am On Jan 12, 2016
Icon4s:

It is no news that the last midfield maestro we had was Austine Okocha.Joel Obi would have been his successor bt ... u know his story.

However, two fantastic central midfielders have jst emerged: Kelechi Nwakali and Azubuike Okechukwu both 17 & 18 yrs olds respectively. These are midfielders that boss oppositions jst like Okocha did during his days. Midfielders that can single handedly influence d course of a game. We are tired of the Mikelish timid kind of midfielders. We can only hope Azubuike and Nwakali progress well and live up to our expectations.

I would like to see them both play d next U20. One of which can b made to play a more forward role (AM) prefarably Nwakali due to his excellent passing skills, dribbling abilitied and good eye for goals.Let him play jst behind Osimhen or Sadiq Umar or hu ever emerges d first choice Centre forward.

I hope they play to our expectation. However, don't forget that Raheem Lawal was the joint highest goal scorer and the best Nigerian player at the previous U23 Africa championship and he is a better attacking midfielder than those two players you mentioned and the guy plays regularly for his club in that position.

Bros, comparing Okocha to those lads? grin
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by forgiveness: 8:17am On Jan 12, 2016
edi287:

Barkley, Aogo and Alli all rejected Naija. Its not like we ignored them.

I agree we should have a better scouting system to unearth these gems, that doesn't mean we should forget the ones at home. We should spend more time developing our grassroots instead of waiting to call up players that got their education/spent their whole life abroad and have no personal attachment to naija. There has to be a balance.

Are you saying if I born pikin for abroad and train dem in abroad, they have no personal attachment to naija?

Barkley and Alli never rejected Nigeria. They were never approached by NFF. That's all.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 10:44am On Jan 12, 2016
forgiveness:

I hope they play to our expectation. However, don't forget that Raheem Lawal was the joint highest goal scorer and the best Nigerian player at the previous U23 Africa championship and he is a better attacking midfielder than those two players you mentioned and the guy plays regularly for his club in that position.

Raheem Lawal featured for the Super Eagles during Keshi. He wasn't so impressive. Raheem is abt 26-27 yrs old now and must have reached d summit of his career. K. Nwakali and Azubuike are jst starting and have shown so much promises. Our hope lies more on them.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 10:48am On Jan 12, 2016
forgiveness:

Okocho never won any MVP when he was 17. Neither did he win any tourney bt Azubuike and Nwakali at 18 & 17 respectively have won both MVPs and National team titles and both as captain. U think these 2 lads cannot develop to d level of Okocha. See I watched Okocha play at the 1993 AYC. He wasnt so exceptional.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by edi287: 11:46am On Jan 12, 2016
forgiveness:

Are you saying if I born pikin for abroad and train dem in abroad, they have no personal attachment to naija?

Barkley and Alli never rejected Nigeria. They were never approached by NFF. That's all.
No I'm saying if your child is born and bred abroad, don't expect he/she to automatically play for Nigeria because you say so or whatever. Fact is we DID try to get Alli to play for us through Fashanu and he refused. Same with Barkley.
How anyone would expect Barkley to play for us despite being estranged from his father and the fact that he uses his Mother's last name is beyond me.

2 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:51am On Jan 12, 2016
Icon4s:

Okocho never won any MVP when he was 17. Neither did he win any tourney bt Azubuike and Nwakali at 18 & 17 respectively have won both MVPs and National titles and both as captain. U think these 2 lads cannot develop to d level of Okocha. See o watched Okocha play at the 1993 AYC. He wasnt so ececeptipnal.

Okocha played for no youth teams in 93 he was already a super eagle.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by tbaba1234: 11:59am On Jan 12, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

He played AYC1993

Atlanta 96 was a youth team too
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 12:12pm On Jan 12, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

Ah! Dnt go there. I can read you the team list of The Nigerian squad to the 1993 AYC held in Mauritius. Okocha and Kanu were members of that team o.

Kanu ke? Surprised? Yes Nwankwo Kanu.

Okocha was later in that same year invited to d Super Eagles where he debuted against Algeria and scored from a free kick.

2 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by forgiveness: 12:13pm On Jan 12, 2016
Icon4s:

Raheem Lawal featured for the Super Eagles during Keshi. He wasn't so impressive. Raheem is abt 26-27 yrs old now and must have reached d summit of his career. K. Nwakali and Azubuike are jst starting and have shown so much promises. Our hope lies more on them.

Meaning those players you mentioned might likely turn out to be the same. Ighalo is just around 26 and that has not taken anything away from his form. Form should be considered before age. We know during Keshi 's days he was arguably one of the best midfielders but i still don't understand why he was dropped for some injured and mediocre players. And because he showed his anger after he was dropped Keshi snubbed him. The boy is just 25 years old.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BascoVanVeli(m): 12:14pm On Jan 12, 2016
tbaba1234:

He played AYC1993

Atlanta 96 was a youth team too

Welp I just might be wrong but i do know he was on the se since 93 and he was never average.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by forgiveness: 12:23pm On Jan 12, 2016
Icon4s:

Okocho never won any MVP when he was 17. Neither did he win any tourney bt Azubuike and Nwakali at 18 & 17 respectively have won both MVPs and National titles and both as captain. U think these 2 lads cannot develop to d level of Okocha. See o watched Okocha play at the 1993 AYC. He wasnt so ececeptipnal.

I don hear you. grin
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by forgiveness: 12:36pm On Jan 12, 2016
edi287:

No I'm saying if your child is born and bred abroad, don't expect he/she to automatically play for Nigeria because you say so or whatever. Fact is we DID try to get Alli to play for us through Fashanu and he refused. Same with Barkley.
How anyone would expect Barkley to play for us despite being estranged from his father and the fact that he uses his Mother's last name is beyond me.

Fashanu said he was going to speak with Ali but we did not hear anything from him. Barkley said he was eligible to play for Nigeria in an interview before he started playing for Everton first team but as usual Nigeria wants superstar before being called.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by tbaba1234: 12:44pm On Jan 12, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

Welp I just might be wrong but i do know he was on the se since 93 and he was never average.

He was not a starter in the Super Eagles in 93/94. A certain Thompson Oliha started over okocha.

He was flashy and had potential but the end result was often lacking.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 1:31pm On Jan 12, 2016
tbaba1234:

He was not a starter in the Super Eagles in 93/94. A certain Thompson Oliha started over okocha.

He was flashy and had potential but the end result was often lacking.

Yeah spot on man. The 1994 AFCON team was so stars studded that Okocha and Amuneke were subs. Amuneke's break through was d only game he played in that AFCON which was d final against Zambia. That I think was d only game Okocha played too.

While Amuneke played in all our '94 world cup games, Okocha only played in d 2nd rnd game against Italy. Thompson Oliha (RIP) was the midfield martial then. Okocha took over from him displacing Friday Ekpo, another fine central midfielder. Oliha took over from Henry Nwosu at Algiers '90. Etim Esin was a threat to Henry Nwosu going into Maroc '88 bt indiscipline caused Etim Esin d opportunity.Meanwhile Henry Nwosu debuted in the Espana 82 WC qualifiers against Guinea and scored the only goal as we scaled through on 1-0 aggregate.That game was played in 1981 at d National stadium Surulere, Lagos. Wjat i remember most abt d game was how the 17 yrs old Henry Nwosu was carried shouldera high by d Lagos fans hu invaded d pitch.

2 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by tbaba1234: 2:05pm On Jan 12, 2016
Icon4s:

Yeah spot on man. The 1994 AFCON team was so stars studded that Okocha and Amuneke were subs. Amuneke's break through was d only game he played in that AFCON which was d final against Zambia. That I think was d only game Okocha played too.

While Amuneke played in all our '94 world cup games, Okocha only played in d 2nd rnd game against Italy. Thompson Oliha (RIP) was the midfield martial then. Okocha took over from him displacing Friday Ekpo, another fine central midfielder. Oliha took over from Henry Nwosu at Algiers '90. Etim Esin was a threat to Henry Nwosu going into Maroc '88 bt indiscipline caused Etim Esin d opportunity.Meanwhile Henry Nwosu debuted in the Espana 82 WC qualifiers against Guinea and scored the only goal as we scaled through on 1-0 aggregate.That game was played in 1981 at d National stadium Surulere, Lagos. Wjat i remember most abt d game was how the 17 yrs old Henry Nwosu was carried shouldera high by d Lagos fans hu invaded d pitch.

I remember Friday Ekpo very well. My football memory starts from Algiers/Italia 90. You are a chairman. Lol..
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by safarigirl(f): 2:36pm On Jan 12, 2016
There are talks Kelechi will be joining the City's UCL squad to replace an injured Nasri

Bony is injured for now and Pelle has expressly stated City will not be looking to buy another striker in the January transfer window, couple that with the fact that City have rejected loan moves from West Ham, Bournemouth and Sunderland and Kelechi may just get that playing time.

2 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 3:30pm On Jan 12, 2016
tbaba1234:

I remember Friday Ekpo very well. My football memory starts from Algiers/Italia 90. You are a chairman. Lol..

Well, you try sha. I will never forget what Raba Maja did to us in that 5-1 opening game lose at Algiers '90. Aloy Agu was in goal. I wept! embarassed

That tourney saw d dawning of a new era.Friday Elastic Elahor, Amin Angwe(RIP), Daniel Amokachi, Rashidi Yekini, Thompson Oliha, Ben Iroha all featured prominently.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by tbaba1234: 3:32pm On Jan 12, 2016
Nwakali and Chukwueze to join Arsenal... Good news.. Hope they can break in.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 3:41pm On Jan 12, 2016
tbaba1234:
Nwakali and Chukwueze to join Arsenal... Good news.. Hope they can break in.

Goodnews. They are going straight to d academies. I am really happy for Chukwueze. A player with so much potential bt went a bit flat as d U17 tourney got to d final stages. Kelechi Nwankali will fit into d Arsenal system as he is a very good passer of the ball, a highly creative player and has a very high work rate.

(1) (2) (3) ... (136) (137) (138) (139) (140) (141) (142) ... (341) (Reply)

Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread / The NBA Begins / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.