Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,467 members, 7,830,351 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:06 PM

All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! - Sports (138) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! (700260 Views)

Nigeria's U-23 Team Land In Lagos Following AFCON Victory (Photos) / Samson Siasia Flaunts The U-23 Trophy And His Medal (Photo) / All The News About The Golden Eaglets (U-17) HERE! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (135) (136) (137) (138) (139) (140) (141) ... (341) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 9:48am On Jan 11, 2016
forgiveness:

I think Abdul Ajagun is also a good number 10 and I think he's ahead of all these players because he plays regularly on that position for his club. He is also on course for the Olympics football game.

I know Abdul Ajagun very well. He was the 2013 Flying Eagles captain.I have also advocated for his inclusion in this Olympic team in times past. He is a fantastic number 10 and also more experienced and more agile than the other contenders.He is also a very good dribbler. He is ripe for a Super Eagles call up also.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 9:51am On Jan 11, 2016
tbaba1234:

I don't rate sokari.. Iwobi is a big boy, I am sure he will be OK with the physical aspect. For the Olympics, he won't have to worry about African football. Iheanacho can play on either wing of a three-pronged attack as well.

I feel the middle might be a better position for Iwobi. He does not impress me on the wings, as much. Too early to say. Let him play a few more games in that position. I will not be surprised if wenger grooms him for a centre midfield role.

You don't rate Sokari, why?
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by joseph1013: 9:52am On Jan 11, 2016
forgiveness:

1, My bro the thing just tire me. So, after all the plea to play for his father land Amunike still ignored that lad personally loved and groomed by Messi. Now, he has chosen Holland over Nigeria and tomorrow he will become another Alaba and Dele Alli. What a shame. Last U17 players were not as impressed as Kelechi Iheanacho set anywhere. I can only spot 4 potentially good players but the rest are below average. Amunike knew he was going to be given a bad name hence he regetted to led the U17 again. He knew his selection was bias and if he did it for the second time his image and reputation will be tarnished forever in Nigerian football hence he resigned. I still dey observe am.

2, We have good defenders too but unfortunately some of them have been ignored for far. It not necessary we focus only on players groomed in Nigeria. We should just focus on any good players from anywhere.

Right back :Moses Odubanjo(Hull City, England) Tyronne Ebuechi( Ado Den Haag, Holland) and Dominic Iorfa(Wolverhampton-fc) are still eligible to play for Nigeria and they can all play as right back. Abdullahi-shehu(Uniao Madeira, Portugal), Musa Muhammad( Turkey) and Nura Abdullahi of Roma fc are also right back players. Elohor ekpolo will soon graduate to Barcelona main team.

Left back: I have not seen any player in mold of Celestine Babayaro and Taye Taiwo in this position until now. Kingsley Madu of Trecin, Slovakia is the one I suspect to reach that height if he plays for a good club.

Center back: Kenneth Otigba (Heerenveen, Holland), Tiago Ilori (Liverpool, Holland), Manuel Akanji( Basel, Switzerland), Gbenga Akokoyo (Turkey), Kenneth Omerue (Turkey) , Derek Osadebe (Bolton Wanderer) and Troost-ekong (Gent, Belgium) are good center back.

The bolded is some big allegations. Care to substantiate your claims? What proof do you have?

2 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by forgiveness: 10:10am On Jan 11, 2016
joseph1013:

The bolded is some big allegations. Care to substantiate your claims? What proof do you have?

Let the sleeping dog lie but i should not have started it anyway.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by forgiveness: 10:14am On Jan 11, 2016
Icon4s:

I know Abdul Ajagun very well. He was the 2013 Flying Eagles captain.I have also advocated for his inclusion in this Olympic team in times past. He is a fantastic number 10 and also more experienced and more agile than the other contenders.He is also a very good dribbler. He is ripe for a Super Eagles call up also.

Good to know.....
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by forgiveness: 10:25am On Jan 11, 2016
Icon4s:

My friend u said Taiwo Awoniyi was nt on same planet with Ajayi, mayb jst bc Ajayi was a 3SC player and Awoniyi then jst signed for Liverpool and loaned to Eintranct Frankfurt. I was only proving to u in that argument that Ajayi was more suited than Awoniyi as d main striker of that U23. U can judge from the performances of d two strikers in dat CAF U23 tourney

See the mistake u guys make is to underate youth players from the NPFL. Sooner or later u guys will find out that many of those Europe groomed players are nt much better than the NPFL youth players. Players like Etebor, Sokari, Okechukwu, Dimgba and Etor may b better than all the likes of Solanke, Sadiq Umar et al . Even Kelechi Iheanacho will have to up his game to break into d starting 11 of that team as u may know that Sokari & Etebor play similar roles as Iheanacho.

And yes Ighalo is in a blazing form and he took d world by surprise. I am sure at 3-4 months ago u wouldnt have thought that Ighalo would have scored 14 goals by half of the season.However, i would still nt rate him as among the best strikers in d world yet. Lets see him sustain this form to d end of d season and or mayb play in Manunited(as being rumoured) and still maintain that goal scoring form.

U implied I am in d habit of putting the "nt yet there" tag on our young players. I rather see it as u guys being too quick to hype young players. A player scores 2 goals in 2 appearances for AS Roma and next thing " he has replaced Dzeko", "he should b invited to the Super Eagles", "he should be in Rio". Plus all the Hype on Awoniyi and Iheanacho. I am nt taking anything away from these young lads. My wish is for them to become super stars bt the thing is we are always too quick to rate them as Super Stars.

Many young African players end up like "a flash in the pan". They only do well as teenagers and feassle out when it matters most.
I have been following youths football keenly since the mid 1980s so I know what I am talking abt. I have learnt that MOST promising talents dont end up living up to expectations.

Icon4s:

When I say "the national team" I am sure u know which national team I am talking abt.

Your point was players groomed abroad. Given the chance to play for Nigeria is another issue.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by joseph1013: 10:50am On Jan 11, 2016
forgiveness:

In other words, after spreading beer parlour rumours, you stop short of proving them. Stuffs like this are litigable, you should know in case of next time.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by forgiveness: 10:58am On Jan 11, 2016
joseph1013:

In other words, after spreading beer parlour rumours, you stop short of proving them. Stuffs like this are litigable, you should know in case of next time.

grin Joseph the Joseph I don't hear. When the time is ripe I let the cat out of the bag.

A man's habit becomes his personality and his personality becomes his life style. It can't be hidden. I know it and that was why I said, I still dey observe am.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Caspian22(m): 11:03am On Jan 11, 2016
forgiveness:

1, My bro the thing just tire me. So, after all the plea to play for his father land Amunike still ignored that lad personally loved and groomed by Messi. Now, he has chosen Holland over Nigeria and tomorrow he will become another Alaba and Dele Alli. What a shame. Last U17 players were not as impressed as Kelechi Iheanacho set anywhere. I can only spot 4 potentially good players but the rest are below average. Amunike knew he was going to be given a bad name hence he regetted to led the U17 again. He knew his selection was bias and if he did it for the second time his image and reputation will be tarnished forever in Nigerian football hence he resigned. I still dey observe am.

2, We have good defenders too but unfortunately some of them have been ignored for far. It not necessary we focus only on players groomed in Nigeria. We should just focus on any good players from anywhere.

Right back :Moses Odubanjo(Hull City, England) Tyronne Ebuechi( Ado Den Haag, Holland) and Dominic Iorfa(Wolverhampton-fc) are still eligible to play for Nigeria and they can all play as right back. Abdullahi-shehu(Uniao Madeira, Portugal), Musa Muhammad( Turkey) and Nura Abdullahi of Roma fc are also right back players. Elohor ekpolo will soon graduate to Barcelona main team.

Left back: I have not seen any player in mold of Celestine Babayaro and Taye Taiwo in this position until now. Kingsley Madu of Trecin, Slovakia is the one I suspect to reach that height if he plays for a good club.

Center back: Kenneth Otigba (Heerenveen, Holland), Tiago Ilori (Liverpool, Holland), Manuel Akanji( Basel, Switzerland), Gbenga Akokoyo (Turkey), Kenneth Omerue (Turkey) , Derek Osadebe (Bolton Wanderer) and Troost-ekong (Gent, Belgium) are good center back.

Well said. You really wrote it all. I hope all these defenders you mentioned start blossoming.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by joseph1013: 11:05am On Jan 11, 2016
forgiveness:

grin Joseph the Joseph I don't hear. When the time is ripe I let the cat out of the bag.

A man's habit becomes his personality and his personality becomes his life style. It can't be hidden. I know it and that was why I said, I still dey observe am.

I patiently wait for that day.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by joseph1013: 11:07am On Jan 11, 2016
[b][size=14pt]Manchester City suspends Iheanacho’s new deal[/size]

ENGLISH Premier League giants Manchester City have put on hold talks for a new improved contract for Nigeria starlet Kelechi Iheanacho following a legal tussle involving agents representing the player.

It had now been specially gathered that US-based First Eleven Management, who secured Iheanacho his first City deal, had asked the Football Association arbitration to cancel a new management contract, which Iheanacho signed with UK-based Stellar Group.

This tussle could well boil over to a civi§l court battle between the two high-profile agents.

“Talks over a new contract for Kelechi have been suspended until the FA arbitration decides on who his agents are. First Eleven who first managed him have asked for the FA to cancel a new management contract the player has entered with Stellar Group,” a top source informed.

“It is only after the decision by arbitration that the situation will be a lot clearer. But even then, this could go all the way to the courtroom the way things are going.”

But on the pitch, youngster Iheanacho continued to improve his stocks after he scored in Manchester City’s 3-0 spanking of Norwich City Saturday night in an FA Cup tie.

The 19-year-old striker started his second official game and scored in the 31st minute to give City a 2-0 lead.

He had now scored five goals in all competitions mostly as a substitute for Manuel Pellegrini’s side this season.

http://sunnewsonline.com/new/manchester-city-suspends-iheanachos-new-deal/[/b]
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by joseph1013: 11:09am On Jan 11, 2016
[b][size=14pt]Iheanacho: Man City turn back Bournemouth[/size]

Manchester City have turned down an approach from Premier League rivals Sunderland and A.F.C. Bournemouth to sign Nigeria national – teamer Kelechi Iheanacho on loan until the end of the season.

West Ham have also contacted the Citizens suits about the possibility of snapping up the highly – rated starlet in the winter transfer market but the Etihad outfit refused to do business due to the injury sustained by France star Sami Nasri.

A source close to the Taye Academy product said, “Sunderland and Bournemouth wanted Kelechi but Manuel Pellegrini did not give his approval.

“We are aware of the interest from West Ham but Pellegrini said it won’t fly (not possible). Nasri is injured and Kelechi may be included in their Champions League squad, so he won’t leave this window.”

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/01/iheanacho-man-city-turn-back-bournemouth/[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by forgiveness: 11:11am On Jan 11, 2016
Caspian22:

Well said. You really wrote it all. I hope all these defenders you mentioned start blossoming.

Believe me, some of them are already regular players for their clubs.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by forgiveness: 11:24am On Jan 11, 2016
joseph1013:

I patiently wait for that day.

Thanks for your understanding.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by forgiveness: 11:36am On Jan 11, 2016
joseph1013:
[b][size=14pt]Manchester City suspends Iheanacho’s new deal[/size]

ENGLISH Premier League giants Manchester City have put on hold talks for a new improved contract for Nigeria starlet Kelechi Iheanacho following a legal tussle involving agents representing the player.

It had now been specially gathered that US-based First Eleven Management, who secured Iheanacho his first City deal, had asked the Football Association arbitration to cancel a new management contract, which Iheanacho signed with UK-based Stellar Group.

This tussle could well boil over to a civi§l court battle between the two high-profile agents.

“Talks over a new contract for Kelechi have been suspended until the FA arbitration decides on who his agents are. First Eleven who first managed him have asked for the FA to cancel a new management contract the player has entered with Stellar Group,” a top source informed.

“It is only after the decision by arbitration that the situation will be a lot clearer. But even then, this could go all the way to the courtroom the way things are going.”

But on the pitch, youngster Iheanacho continued to improve his stocks after he scored in Manchester City’s 3-0 spanking of Norwich City Saturday night in an FA Cup tie.

The 19-year-old striker started his second official game and scored in the 31st minute to give City a 2-0 lead.

He had now scored five goals in all competitions mostly as a substitute for Manuel Pellegrini’s side this season.

http://sunnewsonline.com/new/manchester-city-suspends-iheanachos-new-deal/[/b]

Hmm!
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BascoVanVeli(m): 12:05pm On Jan 11, 2016
forgiveness:

I dont mean to wake the dog up but id like to know who on that team u felt wasn't good enough.

2 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by tbaba1234: 12:37pm On Jan 11, 2016
Icon4s:

You don't rate Sokari, why?

I do not see what he has, apart from a powerful shot.

He is tentative on the ball, keeps it longer than he should. Thereby slowing down play. His passes are not exceptional.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BascoVanVeli(m): 1:15pm On Jan 11, 2016
tbaba1234:

He is tentative on the ball, keeps it longer than he should. Thereby slowing down play. His passes are not exceptional.

Sokari is much different with his club side. He is more of an attacking midfielder when u add the extra responsibility of defending he doesn't fare as good.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by tbaba1234: 2:06pm On Jan 11, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

Sokari is much different with his club side. He is more of an attacking midfielder when u add the extra responsibility of defending he doesn't fare as good.

What does he add in attacking? His passes are not great. He does not run forward to join the attack.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by edi287: 3:31pm On Jan 11, 2016
forgiveness:

Your comparison was between players groomed in Europe and the players groomed in Nigeria.

You mean Nigerian players that were groomed in Europe and what they have contributed/contributing to d national teams in Europe grin

1, David_Alaba, Austria
2, Rose Barkley, England
3, Dele Alli, England
4, Dennis Aogo, Germany
5, Patrick Owomoyela, Germany

Barkley, Aogo and Alli all rejected Naija. Its not like we ignored them.

I agree we should have a better scouting system to unearth these gems, that doesn't mean we should forget the ones at home. We should spend more time developing our grassroots instead of waiting to call up players that got their education/spent their whole life abroad and have no personal attachment to naija. There has to be a balance.

2 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BascoVanVeli(m): 4:34pm On Jan 11, 2016
tbaba1234:

What does he add in attacking? His passes are not great. He does not run forward to join the attack.

He is a master of the final ball, he can either pass or score the goal. We don't get to see the full package with the national team but anyone who watched him at Enyimba will tell u that he is no slouch.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BascoVanVeli(m): 4:39pm On Jan 11, 2016
edi287:

Barkley, Aogo and Alli all rejected Naija. Its not like we ignored them.

I agree we should have a better scouting system to unearth these gems, that doesn't mean we should forget the ones at home. We should spend more time developing our grassroots instead of waiting to call up players that got their education/spent their whole life abroad and have no personal attachment to naija. There has to be a balance.

I agree with u but there has to be an open door policy, if a boy wants to play for his country there should be only one reason he can't which is him not being good enough. We need fair and credible selectors so that if all the players come from Enugu the selectors credibility will let us know that they are the best available.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 5:43pm On Jan 11, 2016
tbaba1234:

The thing is most of u guys have nt forgiven Sokari for putting Iheanacho on the bench at the WYC. Peeps here hu dnt like him will always see nothing good him.

U simply dnt know Kingsley Sokari well.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by joseph1013: 5:48pm On Jan 11, 2016
Icon4s:

The thing is most of u guys have nt forgiven Sokari for putting Iheanacho on the bench at the WYC. Peeps here hu dnt like him will always see nothing good him.

I don't agree with you. If we judge him strictly based on what he displayed in the Flying Eagles, Dream Team and Super Eagles, he is not good enough.

2 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 5:53pm On Jan 11, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

He is a master of the final ball, he can either pass or score the goal. We don't get to see the full package with the national team but anyone who watched him at Enyimba will tell u that he is no slouch.

Spot on. I am a fan of Enyimba FC. I hardly missed any of Enyimba's games aired live on Super Sports.Sokari is such an efficient AM which earned him the NPFL young player of 2014. He is always so direct and never afraid of taking on defenders.

Peeps dnt know d abilities of these NPFL players cos they see nothing good in our local league. Did anybody watch Ifeanyi Mathew at Elkanemi Warriors this jst concluded season? The boy is doing great things. Learnt he has been impressive at d CHAN camp. The pair of Azubuike Okechukwu and Oghenekaro Etebor kept him out of the U23 team to CAF U23 tourney.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 5:58pm On Jan 11, 2016
joseph1013:

I don't agree with you. If we judge him strictly based on what he displayed in the Flying Eagles, Dream Team and Super Eagles, he is not good enough.

If u judge Odion Ighalo based only on his super eagles performances, u will say he is not good enough.

Did u ever watch Sokari play at Enyimba?
Bring Iheanacho and Iwobi to d super eagles and lets see whether they can make those sleek passes they make at d EPL.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by joseph1013: 6:17pm On Jan 11, 2016
Icon4s:

If u judge Odion Ighalo based only on his super eagles performances, u will say he is not good enough.

Did u ever watch Sokari play at Enyimba?
Bring Iheanacho and Iwobi to d super eagles and lets see whether they can make those sleek passes they make at d EPL.

What happens when a player is not able to replicate his club performances for his country? Have you heard that Oliseh is weighing other striking options for misfiring Ighalo?

You knew what happened to Akpoborie. See Ujah...he keeps scoring for club but misfires for the Eagles. What happened to him?

See...it doesnt matter what happens in the club, if you dont perform for the country, they will soon discard you. A good CV gets you an interview with a good company, it is your on-the-job performance that determines if you will be retained or not. A good club performance should get you an invite, it is the Eagles' performance that will keep you.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BascoVanVeli(m): 6:22pm On Jan 11, 2016
joseph1013:

What happens when a player is not able to replicate his club performances for his country? Have you heard that Oliseh is weighing other striking options for misfiring Ighalo?

You knew what happened to Akpoborie. See Ujah...he keeps scoring for club but misfires for the Eagles. What happened to him?

See...it doesnt matter what happens in the club, if you dont perform for the country, they will soon discard you. A good CV gets you an interview with a good company, it is your on-the-job performance that determines if you will be retained or not. A good club performance should get you an invite, it is the Eagles' performance that will keep you.

Don't get it twisted he has showed flashes also in green. Against Ghana in Akwa and also the AAG.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by joseph1013: 6:29pm On Jan 11, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

Don't get it twisted he has showed flashes also in green. Against Ghana in Akwa and also the AAG.

Like I said, if that's the best he has to offer in our national colors, he is not good enough. We dont need flashes, we need a consistent Attacking Midfielder.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BascoVanVeli(m): 6:50pm On Jan 11, 2016
joseph1013:

Like I said, if that's the best he has to offer in our national colors, he is not good enough. We dont need flashes, we need a consistent Attacking Midfielder.

How can anyone be a consistent attacking midfielder when half of ur job is to drop back and defend? I don't see Ozil, Iniesta or Silva consistently having to defend.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by tbaba1234: 6:51pm On Jan 11, 2016
Icon4s:

Forgiven

I have nothing against him. From what I have seen, he is not good enough. I am not the first person saying it. Some journalists have expressed similar sentiment.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by joseph1013: 7:06pm On Jan 11, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

How can anyone be a consistent attacking midfielder when half of ur job is to drop back and defend? I don't see Ozil, Iniesta or Silva consistently having to defend.

Excuses! How can you know if we don't want to try someone else. Let him take the back seat and watch someone else attempt to do so, pal.

(1) (2) (3) ... (135) (136) (137) (138) (139) (140) (141) ... (341) (Reply)

Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread / The NBA Begins / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.