Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,682 members, 7,854,886 topics. Date: Sunday, 09 June 2024 at 09:28 AM

All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! - Sports (38) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! (703880 Views)

Nigeria's U-23 Team Land In Lagos Following AFCON Victory (Photos) / Samson Siasia Flaunts The U-23 Trophy And His Medal (Photo) / All The News About The Golden Eaglets (U-17) HERE! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) ... (341) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 11:44pm On Aug 25, 2015
[size=14pt]
Akpom Delighted With England Under 21 Call Up
[/size]

By Biyi Akangbe
Hull City striker Chuba Akpom was pleased to have been called up to the England Under 21 national team for the first time in his career.
The 19 - year - old has registered his name on the scoresheet 17 times in total for the England youth teams - Under 16, 17,19 and 20 - but has been promoted to the Under 21s after his fine start to the season.
“Buzzing to get my first England U21s call up and good luck to the boys tonight #CapitalOneCup #hcafc,” Chuba Akpom said on Twitter.
Manager Gareth Southgate has also invited fellow Anglo - Nigerians Dominic Iorfa , Dele Alli and Jordon Ibe for a friendly against USA and a Euro qualifier against Norway in September.
Akpom and his Hull City teammate Sone Aluko were rested for Tuesday’s Capital Cup tie against Rochdale.

www.soccernet.com.ng/2015/08/akpom-delighted-with-england-under-21.html
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 11:55pm On Aug 25, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Ojo leads Nigerian youngsters to shine in English League Cup
[/size]

Nigerian youngster Sheyi Ojo was the match winner for Wolvehampton Wanderers against Barnet as several other Nigerian youngsters shone in the League Cup in England.
Liverpool loanee Sheyi Ojo scored in the 61st minute for Wolves to beat Barnet 2-1 to progress to the next round of the cup competition.
His compatriot Bright Enobakhare opened the scoring just in the third minute.
Bira Dembele scored Barnet's goal in the 76th minute.
Another Nigerian-born youngster James Alabi was among the goals for Ipswich City on his debut as he netted in a 4-1 win over Doncaster Rovers.
The former Stoke city player scored the third goal to give his team a 3-1 lead in the 105th minute.
Emmanuel Oyeleke scored for Exeter City in a 6-3 loss to Sunderland.
He scored in the 31st minute to reduce Exeter deficit to 2-1.
However, Odion Ighalo's Watford were the only EPL team to crashed out of League Cup following a 1-0 loss to Preston North End on Tuesday.
Watford manager made several changes to the team and it backfired. Ighalo was not listed for the game.
[/b]

africanfootball.com/news/562626/Ojo-leads-Nigerian-youngsters-to-shine-in-English-League-Cup

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:57pm On Aug 25, 2015
It is time people like you get something right. Those guys are even better than the hype. That is why people like me are pissed with Manu Garba. From choosing Germany as their camp, a summer weather to play a tournament in Subzero temperature.

It became a tough task for them. Then the. Coach and his crew chose to drop their star players and sabotaged them with poor tactics.

If they were so poor, do you think there would be cases of clear sabotage? The sabotage started frm their camp venue.

The Flying Eagles did not get a fair chance and Manu Garba knows the truth. If he retains his job, the NFF were part of the sabotage of the greatest U20 team I have seen.

jieta:
bck on nairaland after two weeks off were some nairalander will over hype there junior team and u will think they will win the senior world cup

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 12:10am On Aug 26, 2015
With all these array of stars that England has, I still find it difficult to understand why England did not participate in the just concluded FIFA U20 world Cup in Newzealand. They should have had one of the most deadly attacks, midfield, diffence, name it.

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 12:00pm On Aug 26, 2015
TheGoodJoe:
Man City is a different Ball game. Super Eagles call up is no achievement. None of the players on the Super Eagles team can near Man City. Jack Rodwell an EPL star could not break into City's team.

Nacho is a legend in the making. In the class of the greats. Give Pellegrini time to make a Messi out of him.

Well, I like siting history and records.

The best Super Eagles team ever that Nigeria has ever produced was the USA 1994 squad. As at the period 1992-94 the following clubs were dominant in Europe: Spain: Barcelona, Real Madrid; Italy:AC Milan, Sampdoria, Juventus; Germany: Dortmund, Bayern, FC Koln; England: Manchester United, Blackburn, Liverpool, Arsenal; France: Monaco and Marseille.

The only Nigerian player then that was playing in any of these "big" clubs was Victor Ikpeba who was even an unused sub all through d world Cup.

See below the full squad and there respective clubs as at 1994 World Cup:
1 GK Peter Rufai - Go Ahead Eagles
2 DF Augustine Eguavoen -Kortrijk
3 DF Benedict Iroha -Vitesse
4 DF Stephen Keshi (c) -Molenbeek
5 DF Uche Okechukwu -Fenerbahçe
6 DF Chidi Nwanu -Anderlecht
7 MF Finidi George -Ajax
8 MF Thompson Oliha -Africa Sports
9 FW Rashidi Yekini -Vitória de Setúbal
10 MF Jay-Jay Okocha -Eintracht Frankfurt
11 MF Emmanuel Amuneke -Zamalek
12 FW Samson Siasia -Nantes
13 DF Emeka Ezeugo -Budapest Honvéd
14 FW Daniel Amokachi -Club Brugge
15 MF Sunday Oliseh -FC Liège
16 GKAlloysius Agu -FC Liège
17 FW Victor Ikpeba -AS Monaco
18 FW Efan Ekoku -Norwich City
19 DF Michael Emenalo -Eintracht Trier
20 DF Uche Okafor -Hannover 96
21 MF Mutiu Adepoju -Racing Santander
22 GK Wilfred Agbonavbare -Rayo Vallecano

Most of them were not playing in the best clubs in Europe but they were having regular action in their clubs. Subsequently after the WC in 1994 a good number of them were picked up by bigger clubs where they still continued to play major roles. And I think this is the philosophy that Oliseh is adopting. Until Iheanacho starts getting good enough playing time he may not receive a Super Eagles call up.

Except if u feel being on Mancity's bench is more honorable than being in the Super Eagles.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by AIG07: 12:13pm On Aug 26, 2015
Hello everyone! Wow d thread is bubbling a bit. Welcoming Sir. Nerd n others back to d forum after a long break. I really enjoyed d justice Sir Nerd n Sir Icon were doing to Kelechi's issue n of his bench role at city-t was just like watching a ping pong game. Thumbs up to you folks.
Now to sir Icon, nacho isn't over hyped pls. The guy is rare gem. I can't remember the first day I saw him play on d screen-i knew Nigeria has gotten a long awaited football star after d likes of Jay jay. I was happy we'll not be using an icognito No 10(MIKEl) again in our national team.
Now city has turn him to be a forward playing more as a SS and this 'll be good for is dev. He has justified himself by making d match day squad in a star studded team like city... Let's be patient wit this dude.very soon he'll get playing time cos city 're playing in 4 competitions this season and this'll give him chance considering his age and race. Here I rest my case. *Takes an humble bow*

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 2:32pm On Aug 26, 2015
jieta:
bck on nairaland after two weeks off were some nairalander will over hype there junior team and u will think they will win the senior world cup
kiss
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 2:41pm On Aug 26, 2015
TheGoodJoe:
It is time people like you get something right. Those guys are even better than the hype. That is why people like me are pissed with Manu Garba. From choosing Germany as their camp, a summer weather to play a tournament in Subzero temperature.

It became a tough task for them. Then the. Coach and his crew chose to drop their star players and sabotaged them with poor tactics.

If they were so poor, do you think there would be cases of clear sabotage? The sabotage started frm their camp venue.

The Flying Eagles did not get a fair chance and Manu Garba knows the truth. If he retains his job, the NFF were part of the sabotage of the greatest U20 team I have seen.

How do you know there was any thing like sabotage. That team was simply overrated. Guys should give Manu a break. Did you ever watch the 2005 Flying Eagles? They to me as well as the 1989 Flying Eagles are the best crop we ever produced. The 2005 Flying Eagles were the only crop that has ever matched the Brazilians eye for eye, blow for blow. They dominated play in all the games they played including the final against Argentina. Go to youtube and watch some of their matches including the 1989 set.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 2:42pm On Aug 26, 2015
AIG07:
Hello everyone! Wow d thread is bubbling a bit. Welcoming Sir. Nerd n others back to d forum after a long break. I really enjoyed d justice Sir Nerd n Sir Icon were doing to Kelechi's issue n of his bench role at city-t was just like watching a ping pong game. Thumbs up to you folks.
Now to sir Icon, nacho isn't over hyped pls. The guy is rare gem. I can't remember the first day I saw him play on d screen-i knew Nigeria has gotten a long awaited football star after d likes of Jay jay. I was happy we'll not be using an icognito No 10(MIKEl) again in our national team.
Now city has turn him to be a forward playing more as a SS and this 'll be good for is dev. He has justified himself by making d match day squad in a star studded team like city... Let's be patient wit this dude.very soon he'll get playing time cos city 're playing in 4 competitions this season and this'll give him chance considering his age and race. Here I rest my case. *Takes an humble bow*

Welcome back bro. You are free to join in the Iheanacho discussion. wink
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:13pm On Aug 26, 2015
Why persist to drown in ignorance. I pointed clearly that these boys trained in summer at over 20 degrees centigrade. Then played below 0 degrees. They had their star players dropped.

Do you think the Flying Eagles of 2005 would do well without Kaita, Mikel and Taiwo?

Remember against South Korea when Siasia removed Mikel and the team crumbled and conceded two goals.

That is one star player out.

Icon4s:

How do you know there was any thing like sabotage. That team was simply overrated. Guys should give Manu a break. Did you ever watch the 2005 Flying Eagles? They to me as well as the 1989 Flying Eagles are the best crop we ever produced. The 2005 Flying Eagles were the only crop that has ever matched the Brazilians eye for eye, blow for blow. They dominated play in all the games they played including the final against Argentina. Go to youtube and watch some of their matches including the 1989 set.

2 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:28pm On Aug 26, 2015
I do not get your point. Are you comparing Westerhofs camp to Oliseh. I repeat. A national team call up is not all that. It is easier to get called up to the Super Eagles than make Man City bench.

I repeat it is easier to make get called up t Super Eagles than make Man City bench.

Moses, Mikel were benchers in Chelsea but Super stars in Super Eagles.
Icon4s:

Well, I like siting history and records.

The best Super Eagles team ever that Nigeria has ever produced was the USA 1994 squad. As at the period 1992-94 the following clubs were dominant in Europe: Spain: Barcelona, Real Madrid; Italy:AC Milan, Sampdoria, Juventus; Germany: Dortmund, Bayern, FC Koln; England: Manchester United, Blackburn, Liverpool, Arsenal; France: Monaco and Marseille.

The only Nigerian player then that was playing in any of these "big" clubs was Victor Ikpeba who was even an unused sub all through d world Cup.

See below the full squad and there respective clubs as at 1994 World Cup:
1 GK Peter Rufai - Go Ahead Eagles
2 DF Augustine Eguavoen -Kortrijk
3 DF Benedict Iroha -Vitesse
4 DF Stephen Keshi (c) -Molenbeek
5 DF Uche Okechukwu -Fenerbahçe
6 DF Chidi Nwanu -Anderlecht
7 MF Finidi George -Ajax
8 MF Thompson Oliha -Africa Sports
9 FW Rashidi Yekini -Vitória de Setúbal
10 MF Jay-Jay Okocha -Eintracht Frankfurt
11 MF Emmanuel Amuneke -Zamalek
12 FW Samson Siasia -Nantes
13 DF Emeka Ezeugo -Budapest Honvéd
14 FW Daniel Amokachi -Club Brugge
15 MF Sunday Oliseh -FC Liège
16 GKAlloysius Agu -FC Liège
17 FW Victor Ikpeba -AS Monaco
18 FW Efan Ekoku -Norwich City
19 DF Michael Emenalo -Eintracht Trier
20 DF Uche Okafor -Hannover 96
21 MF Mutiu Adepoju -Racing Santander
22 GK Wilfred Agbonavbare -Rayo Vallecano

Most of them were not playing in the best clubs in Europe but they were having regular action in their clubs. Subsequently after the WC in 1994 a good number of them were picked up by bigger clubs where they still continued to play major roles. And I think this is the philosophy that Oliseh is adopting. Until Iheanacho starts getting good enough playing time he may not receive a Super Eagles call up.

Except if u feel being on Mancity's bench is more honorable than being in the Super Eagles.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 3:54pm On Aug 26, 2015
TheGoodJoe:
[b]Why persist to drown in ignorance. I pointed clearly that these boys trained in summer at over 20 degrees centigrade. Then played below 0 degrees. They had their star players dropped.

Do you think the Flying Eagles of 2005 would do well without Kaita, Mikel and Taiwo?

Remember against South Korea when Siasia removed Mikel and the team crumbled and conceded two goals.

That is one star player out.
[/b]

Please we have kept these discussions going without insults sad.

Talking about *Star* players, the problem is you only saw the foreign players in the 2015 Flying Eagles Team as the star players.
You just mentioned Kaita and Taiwo as 2005 Star palyers. Kaita was in Kano Pillars while Taiwo was in Lobi Stars. David Abuo was in Enyimba, John Oweri was in Bendel Insurance, Onyekachi Apam was in Enugu Rangers, Kenedy Chinwo was in Dolphins, Dele Adeleye was in 3SC, Monday James was in Bendel Insurance,Isaac Promise was in Gray International, Solomon Okoronkwo was in Gabros international.

The problem is u think the foreign players in Manu's Team were better than the local players. Football at this stage is not like that. Most of those *stars* you were referring to made the U17 WC bc some of their other colleagues failed the MRI. If the players that failed the MRI had featured at the U17 WC they too probably would have gotten foreign contracts after wards. Scouts usually go for U17 players bc they are usually cheaper to acquire and easier to train.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 4:08pm On Aug 26, 2015
TheGoodJoe:
I do not get your point. Are you comparing Westerhofs camp to Oliseh. I repeat. A national team call up is not all that. It is easier to get called up to the Super Eagles than make Man City bench.

I repeat it is easier to make get called up t Super Eagles than make Man City bench.

Moses, Mikel were benchers in Chelsea but Super stars in Super Eagles.

Our coaches already know what Mikel and Moses are capable of. They've had their fair shares of playing time in times past. We saw Moses play at Crystal Palace, Wigan, Chelsea, Liverpool and Stoke and we saw Mikel at the U20 WC, Lyn Oslo and his early Chelsea playing Days so even if they currently keep the Chelsea bench warm the coaches can still invite them bc they know what those players can offer.

But as for Iheanacho, lets see him in competitive action first.

For the records, Kanu Nwankwo broke into the Ajax team and played regular football at age 18. He even featured prominently for the Ajax team that when the UEFA Champions league in 1995 at the age of 19yrs. So Nacho still dey learn.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 8:22pm On Aug 26, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
2015 All African Games Qualifiers
Nigeria U23
Dominic Iorfa for Eagles at 23 - Father
[/size]

Dominic Iorfa Jnr - Wolves defender shows off one of his awards.
Wolves defender Dominic Iorfa will only consider playing for Nigeria when he is 23 years, his father has told AfricanFootball.com
The 19-year-old fullback has established himself at English Championship club Wolves and this week was called up by the England U21s after featuring for England at various other age categories.
His father, Dominic Iorfa senior, has told AfricanFootball.com “a lot is going on” in Nigeria’s age-group teams and so he would rather his son focus on playing for the Super Eagles when he is a lot older and more matured.
“My boy will still play for Nigeria, but that will be when he is 23, much older and matured, because a lot of things are going on in the age-group teams and nobody wants to be messed up,” said Iorfa senior, who was a flying winger when in the 80s he represented Nigeria at full international level.
Iorfa further said he was excited his son has been called up by the England U21s.
“This invitation shows the boy is making steady progress,” said the proud Lobi Stars vice-chairman.
[/b]

africanfootball.com/news/562716/Dominic-Iorfa-for-Eagles-at-23-Father

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 8:26pm On Aug 26, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
2015 All African Games Qualifiers
Nigeria U23
Portugal-based Shehu opts out of AAG
[/size]

Shehu Abdullahi - Will not be available for All Africa Games according to his Portuguese club.
Portuguese club Uniao de Madiera will not release Nigeria midfielder Shehu Abdullahi for next month’s All Africa Games.
Shehu was scheduled to join Nigeria’s Dream Team in Congo Brazzaville for the competition, but his Portuguese club have turned down the player’s invitation, arguing the AAG is not on the FIFA international calendar.
“Shehu will no longer join us in Congo for the All Africa Games,” Dream Team spokesman Timi Ebikagboro announced.
The club versus country row may also stop Belgium-based Godwin Saviour from the tournament as KV Oostende are yet to respond to a request from the NFF to release the forward.
Turkey-based Azubuike Okechukwu and Umar Aminu are now the overseas pros expected to join up with the Dream Team VI in Brazzaville.
[/b]

africanfootball.com/news/562641/Portugal-based-Shehu-opts-out-of-AAG
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 8:28pm On Aug 26, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
2015 All Africa Games Qualifiers Nigeria U23
Awoniyi moves closer Liverpool transfer
[/size]

Taiwo Awoniyi set for Liverpool medical in England.
Taiwo Awoniyi has moved closer to signing for Liverpool as he is expected to fly out to England this week for a medical.
His trip to England means he is not likely to feature in next month’s All Africa Games in Congo Brazzaville.
“He will leave this week for England to sign his contract with Liverpool and that is why he is not here training with us for the All Africa Games,” disclosed Nigeria U23 spokesman Timi Ebikagboro.
Awoniyi, who turned 18 earlier this month, is expected to sign a long-term deal with EPL outfit Liverpool and be loaned out to a club outside the UK.
He has been chased by several top European clubs including AS Monaco, FC Porto and Red Bull Salzburg.
He has featured for Nigeria at U17, U20 and U23 levels.
[/b]

africanfootball.com/news/562629/Awoniyi-moves-closer-Liverpool-transfer

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 8:41pm On Aug 26, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
2015 CAF U23 Championship Qualifiers Ghana U23
Foreign pros join Nigeria's Dream Team in Congo
[/size]

Turkey-based Umar Aminu will feature for Nigeria at the 2015 AAG in Congo Brazzaville
by Samm Audu
The three foreign professionals led by skipper Azubuike Okechukwu who have confirmed their participation at next month’s All Africa Games will join the rest of the Nigeria Olympic team in Congo Brazzaville, officials have told AfricanFootball.com
The other pros for the AAG, which starts on September 3, are Portugal-based midfielder Shehu Abdullahi and Turkey-based Umar Aminu.
Godwin Saviour in club vs country row
“We expect the foreign-based pros to join the rest of the squad in Brazzaville,” disclosed Dream Team spokesman Timi Ebikagboro.
The country vs club row involving Godwin Saviour has yet to be resolved with Belgian club KV Oostende yet to respond to a request from the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) to release the exciting forward.
The team are scheduled to fly out this weekend.
They are drawn in Group B along with defending champions Ghana, Egypt and Senegal in what should be a good dress rehearsal for the Africa U23 Nations Cup in Senegal in November, which will serve as a qualifier for the 2016 Rio Olympics.
[/b]

africanfootball.com//news/562613/Foreign-pros-join-Nigerias-Dream-Team-in-Congo
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 8:42pm On Aug 26, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
2015 All Africa Games Qualifiers Nigeria U23
Dream Team beat Ebonyi United 3-0
[/size]

Nigeria U23 striker Junior Ajayi (left)
by Samm Audu
Nigeria’s Dream Team VI defeated Ebonyi United FC of Abakaliki 3-0 in a test game played at the FIFA Goal Project in Abuja on Wednesday.
The Nigeria Olympic team ought to have won by a bigger margin but for poor finishing.
Abia Warriors Ndifreke Effiong opened scoring for the Nigeria U23s early in the first half, before wasteful Oghenekaro Etebo doubled their lead from the penalty spot after Ndifreke was brought down inside the box on his way to goal.
Junior Ajayi and Daniel Etor also had chances to bury the game in the first half, but their shooting was wayward.
In the second half, Ebonyi United, owned by former NFF board member and now senator Obinna Ogba, held their own to only let in a free kick goal.
The Dream Team are due to fly out to the All Africa Games in Congo Brazzaville this weekend from Abuja.
They are drawn in Group B along with Ghana and Senegal after Egypt pulled out of the competition citing scheduling issues.
[/b]

africanfootball.com//news/562844/Dream-Team-beat-Ebonyi-United-3-0

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 8:43pm On Aug 26, 2015
[size=14pt]
2015 All Africa Games Qualifiers Egypt U23
Egypt pull out of AAG football events
[/size]

Egypt have pulled out of next month’s All Africa Games football events for both men and women, according to the Confederation of African Football (CAF).
There was no official explanation for the decision of Egypt to withdraw from the AAG events.
Burundi (men) and Senegal (women) who were eliminated by Egypt in the qualifiers were readmitted to the competition but declined because the notice was too short.
This means that Group B of the men’s event will only have three teams – Nigeria, Ghana and Senegal - , while Group B of the women’s event will also feature three teams – Cameroon, Ghana and South Africa.
The tournament is to be staged in Congo Brazzaville from September 6 to 18.

africanfootball.com/news/562795/Egypt-pull-out-of-AAG-football-events
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 8:54pm On Aug 26, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
2017 Africa Cup of Nations Qualifiers Nigeria
U23 stars lead Eagles hopefuls to AFCON clash
[/size]
[img]http://africanfootball.com/news/562786/U23-stars-lead-Eagles-hopefuls-to-AFCON-clash[/img]
Chima Akas has shone in the Eagles training camp in Abuja
by Samm Audu
Nigeria U23 stars Usman Mohammed and Chima Akas have been tipped to make the final squad for next month’s AFCON qualifier in Tanzania, AfricanFootball.com has been informed.
Others who have so far impressed coach Sunday Oliseh at the Abuja training camp for players in the domestic league are Warri Wolves striker Gbolahan Salami and Bright Onyedekachi from FC IfeanyiUbah.
“Onyedikachi’s pace has really caught the eye of the coaches, while Salami is acting as the captain of the home-based players,” an official disclosed.
“Usman and Akas have not been released for the U23 team because they will make the cut to Tanzania.”
Akas is expected to battle Kingsley Madu for the Eagles starting shirt at leftback.
More players from this training camp will be considered for the trip to Tanzania were there to be any withdrawals by the 18 foreign-based pros invited for a September 5 clash in Dar es Salaam.
Another top official told AfricanFootball.com that Oliseh has been encouraged by the speed at which the players have caught on with the new way he wants them to play football.
“He was really downcast with what he saw a week ago at the first training, but the following day he was blown away by what the boys displayed," revealed the official.
[/b]

africanfootball.com/news/562786/U23-stars-lead-Eagles-hopefuls-to-AFCON-clash

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:10pm On Aug 26, 2015
Whether the coaches knew Mikel and Moses worth. They sat on the bench at Chelsea but were stars in the Super Eagles.

Funny man. What does that prove? Is Ajax Super Eagles.

I said it is easier to break into Super Eagles than Citizen's bench, you are telling me Kanu broke into Ajax.

Unrelated point. This is not a Kanu vs Nacho debate.

Icon4s:

Our coaches already know what Mikel and Moses are capable of. They've had their fair shares of playing time in times past. We saw Moses play at Crystal Palace, Wigan, Chelsea, Liverpool and Stoke and we saw Mikel at the U20 WC, Lyn Oslo and his early Chelsea playing Days so even if they currently keep the Chelsea bench warm the coaches can still invite them bc they know what those players can offer.

But as for Iheanacho, lets see him in competitive action first.

For the records, Kanu Nwankwo broke into the Ajax team and played regular football at age 18. He even featured prominently for the Ajax team that when the UEFA Champions league in 1995 at the age of 19yrs. So Nacho still dey learn.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:28pm On Aug 26, 2015
Drowningin ignorance is nt an insult. It means you are not pay attention to the facts.

For instance, I told you the 2005. Flying Eagles would have crumbled without their star players, you are listing that they were mostly home based.

Does that anything?

Without Mikel, they crumbled against South Korea.

The 2015 flying Eagles played without their star players. They also trained in the wrng cnditiom. Mikel's team would crumble in the same scenario.
Icon4s:

Please we have kept these discussions going without insults sad.

Talking about *Star* players, the problem is you only saw the foreign players in the 2015 Flying Eagles Team as the star players.
You just mentioned Kaita and Taiwo as 2005 Star palyers. Kaita was in Kano Pillars while Taiwo was in Lobi Stars. David Abuo was in Enyimba, John Oweri was in Bendel Insurance, Onyekachi Apam was in Enugu Rangers, Kenedy Chinwo was in Dolphins, Dele Adeleye was in 3SC, Monday James was in Bendel Insurance,Isaac Promise was in Gray International, Solomon Okoronkwo was in Gabros international.

The problem is u think the foreign players in Manu's Team were better than the local players. Football at this stage is not like that. Most of those *stars* you were referring to made the U17 WC bc some of their other colleagues failed the MRI. If the players that failed the MRI had featured at the U17 WC they too probably would have gotten foreign contracts after wards. Scouts usually go for U17 players bc they are usually cheaper to acquire and easier to train.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by AIG07: 8:05am On Aug 27, 2015
Sir. GoodJOE is on point NACHO is a legendary in making. Playing and training alongside good/excellent players will bring the best out of him-building is confidence on the field n bringing out the best in him.
Messi played n trained alongside Dinho, saviola, xavi, Deco etc and this players made him. Remembering the first two assist from Dinho that led to Messi's first professional goal though d first one was ruled offside yet still Dinho kept giving him ball until that exquisite lob led to a goal. Do you think such could have happen in an average team-NO. Every player in an average team wants to be a sub7 an thereby no room for grooming.
So, Nacho hasn't choose wrongly. It's only a matter of time-the lad 'll soon explode.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by AIG07: 8:05am On Aug 27, 2015
Sir. GoodJOE is on point NACHO is a legend in making. Playing and training alongside good/excellent players will bring the best out of him-building is confidence on the field n bringing out the best in him.
Messi played n trained alongside Dinho, saviola, xavi, Deco etc and this players made him. Remembering the first two assist from Dinho that led to Messi's first professional goal though d first one was ruled offside yet still Dinho kept giving him ball until that exquisite lob led to a goal. Do you think such could have happen in an average team-NO. Every player in an average team wants to be a sub7 an thereby no room for grooming.
So, Nacho hasn't choose wrongly. It's only a matter of time-the lad 'll soon explode.

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:39am On Aug 27, 2015
I bet that if Iheanacho was german, brazillian, spainard, italian or even argentine, he would be taken much more seriously by some doubters.
I mean, WHAT'S THE MATTER WITH 'EVERYBODY'??!!
Ronaldo de lima was worth d hype despite falling to Kanu and co at atlanta.
Neymar was worth da hype despite falling at d first hurdle @ Nigeria 2009 fifa u-17 Wc and failing to inspire brazil pass mexico at d london olympic soccer final.
Mario Gotze was worth the hype despite falling with Germany at d 2nd round to switzerland @ Nigeria 2009 fifa u-17 Wc.
Toni kroos was worth d hype despite failing to lead germany to d fifa u-17 title coz Nigeria stood in d way. He won d tournament mvp award and he's a madridsta rite now.
Fabregas was worth d hype despite failing to strike gold with spain at d Fifa u-17 wc in finland 2003. Like Iheanacho and toni kroos, he was tournament mvp also.

Down the years, we've always had to accept d hype placed on young talents 4m d destinations above because having watched them we gotta admit it, THEY ARE SPECIAL.

Now enter a new era, another class of World class talents is Rising... But tell urself the 'whole' truth... In all of history at d u-17 level, No player had dished out such masterclass as Iheanacho did at U.A.E. My God! ! ! 6goals and 7assists in 7 matches. Even maradona could not do this at u-20 level. Creative Fabregas and d mercurial Kroos cud not produce such statistics at u-17 level. No player has achieved such and in d words of Fifa.com after da 6-1 demolition of mexico, "...IHEANACHO IS MONSTROUSLY TALENTED". In oda words, He's a 'MONSTER' Talent. Dat describes d daring uniqueness and super rare potential of d kid.

In his first preseason at Man City in 2014, Nacho struck a fine goal on his debut. Now here was a 17-yr-old (at d time) shining brightest in d midst of star men. We know how d rest of it went rite?

What about dis year against AS Roma. He struck an intelligent goal pass one of serie a's top goalies and dished out an audacious assist even when surrounded by a vastly experienced Roma midfield having d likes of Totti, De Rossi, Strootman, Miralem Pjanic, etc.

And u tell me he isn't worth da hype?

Pls point out one 18 yr old today who's any better. I'm waiting.

Also, go thru d archives of d fifa u17 tournaments and if u can go to d future, pls do so(a time machine can serve dis purpose) and Bring out one name dat surpasses IHEANACHO'S SKILL, AUDACITY, INTELLIGENCE, TECHNICAL BRILLIANCE, AND STATISTICS.

Nacho is a blessing to dis generation of d soccer world and can go on to begin where George Weah left off.

P.S: I BELIEVE IN DUE RECOGNITION OF THE BEST EVEN AT POTENTIAL STAGE. It applies even in my medical and biomedical study pathway. I'm african but I'm at Johns Hopkins today coz They recognized my academic talents and ingenuity.
Iheanacho is gonna be greater than Kanu. Even Kanu knows dis dat's why he paid special attention to him at U.A.E. 2013.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 10:45am On Aug 28, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Ighalo tips Iheanacho for greatness with Man City
[/size]
Watford striker, Odion Jude Ighalo has stated that his compatriots at Manchester City, Kelechi Iheanacho is destined to make it to the top having watched the former Junior international in action in few of his training sessions with the former EPL champions.
Ighalo in a chat with SportingLife said he was marvelled at Iheanacho’s football sense and that ahead of his club’s match with Manchester City on Saturday at the Etihad Stadium said that he was not surprised that his club has decided to promote him to the senior team.
The former U23 captain however counselled the youth prodigy to keep his head bow and continue to learn the rudiments under Machester City coach, Manuel Pellegrini and other star players at the club.
“I have not actually spoken with him like that but I can say that Kelechi is a player with very good prospect and the sky will be his limit if he continues with his development at Manchester City.
“I have seen him in Manchester and I have also watched a couple of his training sessions.He is very good lad and with amazing skills. He is a player for the future if he stays humble and continue learning under his coach at Manchester City,” Ighalo told SportingLife.
Ighalo nonetheless spoke about Watford EPL MatchDay 4 tie with Manchester City at the Etihad Stadium on Saturday stating that even though football purists have given the tie to their foes because of City’s electrifying start to the season, but that they are with a chance to shock the reigning league leaders.
[/b]

thenationonlineng.net/ighalo-tips-iheanacho-for-greatness-with-man-city/
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 10:51am On Aug 28, 2015
[size=14pt]
Dream Team jet out Monday
[/size]
Nigeria U-23 team, Dream Team VI, will fly out of the country for the All Africa Games on Monday, officials have announced.
The team, who are drawn in Group B alongside Ghana and Senegal after Egypt pulled out, will be made up of players from domestic league after overseas clubs refused to release players for the competition to be staged in Congo Brazzaville.
Only skipper Azubuike Okechukwu and Umar Aminu, who are both based in Turkey, have confirmed their availability for the tournament, while the European clubs of Godwin Saviour and Shehu Abdullahi have turned down the request of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) for the players to be released.
Dream Team under the tutelage of coach Samson Siasia are expected to use this tournament to prepare for the Africa U-23 Cup of Nations in Senegal in November, which will be the qualifying series for the 2016 Rio Olympics.

thenationonlineng.net/dream-team-jet-out-monday/
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 10:55am On Aug 28, 2015
[size=14pt]
Siasia disappointed with Egypt’s AAG withdrawal
[/size]
Nigeria’s U-23 Eagles Coach, Samson Siasia has expressed his disappointment with the sudden withdrawal of Egypt from the football event of the All-Africa Games billed for next month.
Nigeria was due to face Ghana, Senegal and Egypt in the group B of the games but the Egyptian FA pulled out leaving the group with only three teams after the Confederation of African Football turned down the option of replacing the young Pharaohs.
The news was made known by the Confederation of African Football without stating reasons for their decision.
In accordance with Article 19 (B) of the regulations which states “If a team withdraws after having qualified for the Final Tournament, but before the actual start of the Final Tournament, the Organizing Committee may replace it by the last team it has eliminated, if the circumstances are favourable…”

thenationonlineng.net/siasia-disappointed-with-egypts-aag-withdrawal/

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 10:56am On Aug 28, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Belgian club stop Godwin Saviour from AAG
[/size]
Belgian club KV Oostende have turned down a request by Nigeria to release Godwin Saviour for next month’s All Africa Games in Congo Brazzaville.
Saviour, 19, only recently signed a three-year contract with KVO.
“I would have loved to feature at the All Africa Games for my country, but my club have stopped me. All the same, I wish the team the very best and I am confident they will come out victorious because we have a great team of players and coaches,” the forward told AfricanFootball.com.
The Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) fired an invitation letter to Saviour’s club this week on the promptings of coach Samson Siasia to spark off another club versus country row.
The Portuguese club of Shehu Abdullahi have also refused to release the midfielder for the AAG.
It now looks like only Turkey-based skipper Azubuike Okechukwu and Umar Aminu will join the squad of players from the domestic league directly in Congo.
[/b]

thenationonlineng.net/belgian-club-stop-godwin-saviour-from-aag/
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 10:59am On Aug 28, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
ALL AFRICA GAMES: Amoo likes Dream team glory
[/size]
Nigeria’s Under-23 Olympic team assistant coach, Fatai Amoo has said his side have high chances of success at the upcoming All Africa Games in Brazzaville, Congo despite glaring challenges.
The Dream Team VI will open its medal account clash against the West African foes, Senegal on September 04.
Amoo said though the side will sorely miss key players due to injuries and non-availability they must dig deep to kickoff the campaign brightly against Senegal.
“We have 50/50 chances of success at the Games just like the other members of the group.
“Of course, we know the importance of the first game and the importance of starting a campaign on a good note.
“Senegal are force to be reckoned with in the continent especially given their performance at the World Cup coupled with the fact that they will be hosting the Caf Olympic qualifying championship later in the year.
“We do not want to make excuses but the reality is that we may not have a seizable number of our players who started the process as well as imbibed the team’s chemistry and philosophy.
“After our qualifier in Congo some of them went out to seek greener pastures elsewhere and not yet back.
“Though the exercise is positive for the country for players to go out to enhance their potentials to come to play for the mainstream side,Super Eagles.
“However,it has a hurting effect on their team as they have geared perfectly with the rest of teammates.
“The All Africa Games do not have rooms to replace a registered players for the championship so we are condemned to make use of what we have at hand.
“Thank God we have not lost the whole players, at least, we have 75% of the players intact.
“Two other very strong members, Usman Mohammed and Chima Akas are with the Super Eagles.
“We will sorely miss their services so these and more are the stark realities we are faced and must confront squarely in Brazzaville, Congo.
“Besides,if Egypt were not replaced it will make the group’s qualification tickets tricky and tougher.
“These are challenges we must overcome in order to claim our rightful spot in the Games ” said the former Super Eagles assistant coach to supersport.com.
The Nigerians other group’s members include now withdrawn North African side, Egypt, Ghana and Senegal.
[/b]

thenationonlineng.net/all-africa-games-amoo-likes-dream-team-glory/

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 11:00am On Aug 28, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Obinna Ogba tips Siasia’s team for AAG glory
[/size]
The Chairman cum owner of Ebonyi United Football Club Senator Obinna Ogba has tipped the Samson Siasia tutored Dream Team VI to win the gold medal of the football event in the 2015 All Africa Games.
Ogba who led his team Ebonyi United to Abuja on Wednesday for a friendly match against the national U- 23 team which his team lost 3-0 to the Siasia’s team was full of optimisms having watched the Dream Team VI played with vigor, cohesion and great understanding to destroy his team.
He,however advised the Coach of the team Samson Siasia to work more on the attack line of his team who wasted a lot of chances in the friendly match.
“The Dream Team VI that is preparing for next month’s All Africa Games is a very solid team. In fact it is a very shock to me because I never knew that these Samson Siasia boys will beat my team (Ebonyi United FC) with this big margin- 3-0 without us scoring back.
“All the same we have to take it as a game. One of my defenders has just moved to El-Kanemi Warriors while two of my players are also injured. It’s a fine game and my team gave a good account of themselves.
‘I must say honestly here that Siasia has a solid team but still need to work more on his attackers because threw away a lot of chances at goal. You don’t do such things in a competitive game because one opportunity buried can give you the victory you so much desired to get. At the same time one opportunity thrown away can ruin the game for the team.
“So far so good, Siasia has a very good team. It’s a team I have known before now that’s why I brought my team that I know can give the Dream Team VI very hard match. I know my team is very solid and I am happy the Dream Team VI did not underrate us. If they had underrated my team it could have been a different ball game.
Ogba, however, reeled out his plans for his team Ebonyi United. “By the special grace of God we are on our way through promotion from the Nigeria Nationwide League Two to Nationwide League One. We are waiting for the Nigeria Football Federation to confirm our position on the league table. Once they do that we know that we are already in the Nigeria Nationwide League One. Our target from there is to gain promotion to the Nigeria National League. We hope that we won’t stay more than a season in NNL to gain promotion to the Nigeria Professional Football League which is the elite league in Nigeria”, Ogba disclosed.
[/b]

thenationonlineng.net/obinna-ogba-tips-siasias-team-for-aag-glory/

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 11:03am On Aug 28, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Buhari orders team Nigeria: DONT GO BELOW SECOND PLACE
[/size]
Nigerian Olympic Committee (NOC) President Abu Gummel is optimistic that Team Nigeria will come good at the All Africa Games as President Buhari is sending off the team with a wish list: “Do not go below second place!” The NOC President revealed this at the unveiling of Team Nigeria kits for the Games and stated that he is hopeful it will be a splendid Championship for Nigeria as preparations are in order and prompt.
Gummel was visibly happy that the team’s kits by Peak from China particularly which was always a challenge is not an issue this time. He said: “My happiness is that the National Sports Commission (NSC) provided the kitting even before the departure for the Games. Because sometimes it is when you are at the venue that you get your kits. This time around you are carrying them with you. So, let me first and foremost congratulate the Director General and his team for a job well done. It is an excellent job. Which means we are moving like an aircraft. Action! Action!! Action!!! And all we need from you athletes is to retaliate. When you are in Congo it is action! Action!! Action!!!”
Gummel then informed the contigent of the Presidential order and wish list of President Buhari for the Team:
“The President has given a marching order that Nigeria must have the first or second position at the All African Games. The last time I was here, I was even saying we should try and maintain our usual position, third. But now it is no more. It is first or second. So, please let us go there and make this country proud. With the action that the DG put in front of him and with the way he is moving, we should give him all the necessary support. We should follow him. We should give him all the support. Because his success is our success.”
He reveals the secret he thinks will propel the Team to victory at the Games: “Jointly we have to work together. Jointly we have to go to Congo and go and make ourselves happy, make ourselves proud. So that we are proud that we are Nigerians. So that by the time we are coming back many people will be at the airport to receive us. So, please let us do our best and make the President of this country happy. And let us fulfil that march order he gave to us that we are able to achieve it. I believe by the grace of God we can achieve it.”
He equally praised the National Sports Commission for a job well done: “I am happy to see these kits, arriving at the right time, cleared, ready for presentation and they are excellent and the quality is good. By the time we are there now, I am sure many others wil start to envy you when you start wearing it. It is an excellent job that the National Sports Commission has ddone. So, National Sports Commission well done. And I want to wish us goodluck and success at the All African Games.”
[/b]

thenationonlineng.net/buhari-orders-team-nigeria-dont-go-below-second-place/

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) ... (341) (Reply)

Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread / The NBA Begins / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 141
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.