Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,972 members, 7,838,472 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 10:47 PM

All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! - Sports (93) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! (701198 Views)

Nigeria's U-23 Team Land In Lagos Following AFCON Victory (Photos) / Samson Siasia Flaunts The U-23 Trophy And His Medal (Photo) / All The News About The Golden Eaglets (U-17) HERE! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (90) (91) (92) (93) (94) (95) (96) ... (341) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by justiz5(m): 6:45pm On Nov 24, 2015
casket:

I hope Success would leave Granada as soon as they dip into relegation water for a better club in Europe preferably in Premiership.

I would rather Isaac Success plays in English Championship side than a Club like Granada.

I see, these English managers are missing a hot talent in Success already.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BascoVanVeli(m): 8:47pm On Nov 24, 2015
casket:

I hope Success would leave Granada as soon as they dip into relegation water for a better club in Europe preferably in Premiership.

Granada has been playing this game for years now, i don't see them getting relegated. Granada should also be commended for the way they allowed Isaac become a star. I agree that he should leave but lets get this straight for a 19 year old he is in a great situation. A relegation battle is almost the same as a title fight, the pressure is just as high.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:17pm On Nov 24, 2015
BascoVanVeli:

Granada has been playing this game for years now, i don't see them getting relegated. Granada should also be commended for the way they allowed Isaac become a star. I agree that he should leave but lets get this straight for a 19 year old he is in a great situation. A relegation battle is almost the same as a title fight, the pressure is just as high.

If Isaac Success is in front of better Quality midfielders, he would score more and top coaches would have spotted the gem in him. What Success doing is making something out of a bad scenario.

The boy has super talent and Granada do not have the talents or quality coaching to help push Success. I hope Success produces some good performances to help a club sign Success.

Before his contract extension, Granada wanted 15 million euros and that stopped the Inter Milan deal from going through. With a contract extension, his asking price will be higher.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BlackAlbino6(m): 11:53pm On Nov 24, 2015
Icon4s:

Which guys?
[color=#50000]
I actually wanted to type guy as in Chima Aka
[/color]
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:12am On Nov 25, 2015
***Senegal 2015 Caf U-23 Afcon***

Below are the fixtures for the Caf U-23 Afcon which doubles as the Olympic Qualifying Tournament for Africa.
............................................................................................

Group Stage

All kickoff times are shown as Africa/Johannesburg
+0200 GMT

2015-11-28 17:00 Senegal U23 vs SouthAfrica U23 Venue: Dakar

2015-11-28 20:00 Zambia U23 vs Tunisia U23
Venue: Dakar

2015-11-29 17:00 Egypt U23 vs Algeria U23
Venue: Mbour

2015-11-29 20:00 Mali U23 vs Nigeria U23

2015-12-01 17:00 South Africa U23 vs Zambia U23 Venue: Dakar

2015-12-01 20:00 Tunisia U23 vs Senegal U23

2015-12-02 17:00 Algeria U23 vs Mali U23

2015-12-02 20:00 Nigeria U23 vs Egypt U23

2015-12-04 17:00 Senegal U23 vs Zambia U23

2015-12-04 17:00 South Africa U23 vs Tunisia U23 Venue: Mbour

2015-12-05 17:00 Egypt U23 vs Mali U23

2015-12-05 17:00 Algeria U23 vs Nigeria U23

mtnfootball.com/tournament/605/2015-U23-Africa-Cup-of-Nations

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Nobody: 9:27am On Nov 25, 2015
BascoVanVeli:

For a player in class of Isaac Success , with the kind of skills and prowess he has , he deserves a better club not Granada.

Being a 19 year old playing for Granada doesn't define anything being great !

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BlackAlbino6(m): 9:34am On Nov 25, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Siasia demands rematch after draw with Gambia U20
[/size]

Nigeria U-23 Coach Siasia

Nigeria U23 team coach Samson Siasia has requested for a rematch with Gambia U20s after they held his team to a 1-1 draw on Monday as part of his team’s build-up to the U23 AFCON in Senegal.

Impressed with the tough opposition presented by the Baby Scorpions, Siadia requested for a rematch on Wednesday before the team departs for Senegal the following day.

The Nigerian team, who beat Gambian club Real Banjul 3-0 in their first test game, took the lead from the penalty spot through captain of the day Oghenekaro Etebo in the 53rd minute.

Gambia drew level also from the penalty spot converted by Pa Omar Babou after Ndifreke Effoing handled the ball inside the box.

The encounter which was very explosive saw the Dream Team dominating the game from the blast of the referees whistle, but the resolute defense ofthe Baby Scorpions held their ground to ensure that the first half ended goalless.

On resumption of the second half, Siasia brought in Victor Osimhen for Kufre Ebong, Bature Yaro for Usman Mohammed, Zaradeen Bello for Chizoba Amaefule, Junior Ajayi for Tonbara Tiongoli, and these changes revved up the team as they took total control of the game to the admiration of all present and not long after scored goal through Stanley Dimgba, but the referee ruled it off for what he termed infringement.

The Dream Team continued their dominance and in the 53rd minute, Godspower Aniefiok was fouled while he was goal-bound by the Gambian goalkeeper and Captain Etebo converted from the spot to put the Dream Team ahead, some minutes later it was the turn of the Gambians to be gifted a penalty as Ndifreke Effiong handled the ball in his box and the penalty was tucked away.
http://africanfootball.com/news/587884/Siasia-demands-rematch-after-draw-with-Gambia-U20
[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BlackAlbino6(m): 9:56am On Nov 25, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Osimhen late replacement for Success on U23 AFCON squad
[/size]

Nigeria's Osimhen (right) in FIFA U-17 World Cup vs Mali

FIFA U17 goal king Victor Osimhen has been made a late replacement for Granada striker Isaac Success on Nigeria squad to the U23 AFCON in Senegal.

Success was originally listed on the final squad submitted and Nigeria may now have to pay a fine to the Confederation of African Football (CAF) for this late change.

Osimhen was top scorer at the U17 World Cup in Chile with 10 goals and sources have suggested a top NFF official was behind his inclusion particularly as coach Samson Siasia could not guarantee the availability of Success, who has established himself at struggling La Liga side Granada.

Osimhen is reportedly a target of several top European clubs with his agent saying Arsenal have shown the most interest thus far.
http://africanfootball.com/news/587882/Osimhen-late-replacement-for-Success-on-U23-AFCON-squad
[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BlackAlbino6(m): 10:03am On Nov 25, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Algeria eye perfect start at U-23 AFCON
[/size]

Algeria U-23 in against Sierra Leone Last July

by Stephane DeSaintsalvy
Algeria will be looking to get their U-23 Africa Cup of Nations campaign off to a winning start when they face Egypt in Mbour on Sunday.

The ‘Fennecs’ have little margin for error in their bid for a semifinals spot at the continental tournament, given the quality of their other two Group B opponents, Mali and Nigeria.

However, Pierre-André Schurmann’s men remain determined to seal a top-three finish in Dakar and book their place at the 2016 Summer Olympics as they prepare for their trip to Senegal.

“I think we are ready. We have been working very hard to represent our country in the best possible way,” Algeria U-23 keeper Abdelkader Salhi told competition.dz.

“We were drawn in a very difficult group, but it is better like that as we won’t underestimate anyone.

“Nigeria are shining in all the competitions at youth level, and have just won the U-17 World Cup. And Egypt and Mali are very dangerous too. But we will try to honour our country.

“We are launching our campaign against Egypt, and if it goes well I cannot see why we won’t be able to keep our momentum going and qualify for the Olympics. It is the dream of any player and we will do everything to reach our objective.”
http://africanfootball.com/news/587835/Algeria-eye-perfect-start-at-U-23-AFCON
[/b]
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BlackAlbino6(m): 10:07am On Nov 25, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Junior Ajayi promises Nigeria U23 AFCON crown
[/size]

Nigerian U-23 Striker Junior Ajayi (Left) goes for goal against Congo Brazzaville in qualifier for U-23 AFCON

Tunisia-based striker Junior Ajayi has vowed to help Nigeria win the 2015 U23 AFCON in Senegal.

Ajayi is one of four overseas-based stars on the Nigeria U23 final squad for the tournament, which gets underway on Saturday in Dakar.

“I have come to contribute my little quota in ensuring that we not only pick an Olympic ticket, but also win the Africa U23 Cup of Nations," said Ajayi on arrival in Banjul, The Gambia, to join the team prior to the tournament.

"I can't describe how I feel any time I report for national duty. For me, it's an honour to put smiles on the faces of Nigerians, this I have come to do, God willing.”

Ajayi, who now features for Tunisian club CS Sfaxien, scored the two goals that eliminated Congo Brazzaville from the U23 championship, which will serve as qualifying tournament for next year’s Olympics in Rio de Janeiro.

The team are due to play their final warm-up match on Tuesday before they depart for next-door Senegal.

Their opening game is on Sunday against Mali.
http://africanfootball.com/news/587716/Junior-Ajayi-promises-Nigeria-U23-AFCON-crown
[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BlackAlbino6(m): 10:11am On Nov 25, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Egypt sweat on Gomaa for Nigeria U23 AFCON clash
[/size]

Egypt Midfielder Salah Gomaa is injured (Photo: Reuters)

Egypt star midfielder Saleh Gomaa has suffered a muscle injury, but he may be fit to play his country’s second U23 AFCON Group B game against Nigeria on December 2.

Gomma, who captained Egypt to defeat Nigeria’s Flying Eagles in the semi-final of the 2013 African Youth Championship in Algeria, said the extent of the injury will determine his participation in the championship, which serves as a qualifier for next year’s Rio Olympics.

He said he will only miss his team’s opening group game against Algeria if what he suffered was a muscle strain.

The new Al Ahly signing is one of several full internationals on his country’s U23 AFCON squad to Senegal.

Egypt pulled out of the All Africa Games football event in Congo Brazzaville in September, where they would have clashed with Nigeria in the group stage so as to focus fully on the U23 AFCON.

The tournament kicks off on Saturday in Dakar.
http://africanfootball.com/news/588157/Egypt-sweat-on-Gomaa-for-Nigeria-U23-AFCON-clash
[/b]
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BlackAlbino6(m): 10:16am On Nov 25, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Iorfa thrilled with new Wolves deal
[/size]

Dominic Iorfa Jnr - Wolves defender has won recognition since he established himself at the club

Nigerian-born England youth international Dominic Iorfa has said he is delighted to extend his stay at English Championship side Wolverhampton Wanderers.

The young defender signed a new three-and-a-half-year deal with his club, which keeps him there till the summer of 2019 as his former deal expired at the end of the current season.

“It’s been going on for a while now and it’s a good feeling now it’s all been sorted.

“I’m just happy that it’s finished and I can focus completely on my football,” he told his club’s website.

“I’m happy with the deal but I’m staying grounded, I still want to do well for the club and keep improving as a player.

“The fact that the club have been pleased with what I’ve done and the fact that they wanted to offer me another contract is really good.”
http://mtnfootball.com/news/588155/Iorfa-thrilled-with-new-Wolves-deal
[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BlackAlbino6(m): 10:23am On Nov 25, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Real Betis chase Cyprus-based Nigerian striker
[/size]

Boniface (left) has shone in Cyprus

The profile of Cyprus-based Nigerian striker Matthew Boniface is on the rise as Spanish La Liga side Real Betis have shown interest in signing him when the transfer window re-opens.

Boniface has been on good form for Aris Limassol since he joined them during the summer transfer window and his adviser, Tope Alabi Dodo, has disclosed the striker has already been watched by Betis scout while in action for Aris.

"Boniface has been doing well for his team Aris Limassol since his move in the summer. He may move to bigger league or club when the transfer opens in January,” said Dodo.

“Two notable teams in Cyprus and one from Greece have shown interest in him as well as Real Betis. In fact a Real Betis representative watched him play and discussed the possibility of signing him in January by the Spanish team."

Boniface has scored three league goals, one in cup game with several assists.

He has previously played for FC Abuja and Al Hilal in Sudan.
http://mtnfootball.com/news/587811/Real-Betis-chase-Cyprus-based-Nigerian-striker
[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BlackAlbino6(m): 10:24am On Nov 25, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Egypt U23 spank Cameroon to send warning signal to Nigeria
[/size]
[img]http://images.performgroup.com/di/library/Goal_Nigeria/86/bd/egypt-fans_2b6xc85jpeyv14fjrfhhnhcn3.jpg?t=-1547168649&w=620&h=430[/img]
Egypt U-23 Team Fans

By Shina Oludare

Hossam El-Badry’s lads wrapped up preparations for the 2015 African U23 Championship by defeating Cameroon twice in four days
Egypt U23 defeated Cameroon 4-0 in their last warm up game before the commencement of the 2015 African U23 Championship in Senegal.

Goals from Ramadan Sobhy, Karim Waleed, Shoukry Naguib and Saleh Gomaa powered the Pharaohs past their opponents in the Sharm El Sheikh.

They had earlier defeated the Lions 2-0 last Thursday at the same venue.

Egypt are zoned in Group B against Nigeria, Algeria and Mali – and are hoping to seal a place at the 2016 Olympics in Brazil.

The will launch their campaign against Algeria on 29 November 2015, face Nigeria three days later before wrapping up against Mali on 5 December 2015 all in M’Bour.
http://www.goal.com/en-ng/news/4065/africa/2015/11/24/17657142/egypt-u23-spank-cameroon-to-send-warning-signal-to-nigeria?ICID=HP_TS_2
[/b]
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BlackAlbino6(m): 10:40am On Nov 25, 2015
How prepared is this team? A draw with the U-20 of Gambia shows unprepared the attackers are for the tournament proper.
I just hope they prove me wrong.

[b][size=14pt]
Siasia in Awe of Gambia U-20 Team
[/size]
[img]http://observer.gm/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/U-20.jpg[/img]
Nigeria’s U-23 coach, Samson Siasia, has expressed admiration for the performance of the Gambia’s U-20 team after the Young Scorpions, came from behind to hold their Nigerian counterparts to a 1-1 draw in a friendly game.

Siasia’s Dream Team is on the final stages of a 12-day preparatory camp in The Gambia ahead of the African U-23 Championship in Senegal, a tournament that will serve as the continent’s qualifiers for the 2016 men’s Olympic football competition.

Speaking in a post-match interview with Observer Sports at the Box Bar Mini-Stadium in Brikama on Monday, Siasia described the Gambian side as an excellent team that in the future can bring a lot of glory to the country.

Commenting on his own team’s preparation for the Senegal championship, Siasia said they have invited new players into the side who are working very hard to force their way into his plans. He added that the team will be in optimum condition when the competition gets underway this weekend.

“We have had quite some tests in The Gambia and what we are now working on is to improve our scoring before our first game in the competition. We create a lot of scoring chances but we cannot take advantage of them,” he added.

Siasia concluded the interview by extolling The Gambia Football Federation for the support given to his team during their stay in the country. He also hailed the Gambian hospitality as one of the reasons that attracted them to chose the country as a base.

The coach of the Young Scorpions, Omar Sise had guided this same crop of players to the finals of the WAFU Zone A championship in Senegal, earlier this month, but were controversially disqualified from the competition after they refused to take part in extra-time when the score was goalless at the end of regulation time; because the organisers had changed the rules just ten minutes before the end.

Since his appointment, the team has exhibitted the potential to become one of the most formidable youth sides in the country’s football history. “Thank God and job well done. I’m proud of my boys after the draw against Nigerian U-23 national team and may God keep guiding us,” a delighted Ceesay posted on his Facebook Timeline after the game.

by Momodou Faal
http://observer.gm/siasia-in-awe-of-gambia-u-20-team/
[/b]
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BlackAlbino6(m): 11:06am On Nov 25, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Nigerian Isaac Success of Granada with top forward potential
[/size]
[img]http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i/?img=/photo/2015/1124/r29990_1296x729_16-9.jpg&w=738&site=espnfc[/img]
Isaac Success has three goals in nine games this season with Granada.

Isaac Success continued his good start to the season by having a hand in both of Granada's goals in their 2-0 win at home to Athletic Bilbao on Sunday. It was his square pass that Athletic defender Aymeric Laporte turned into his own net for the first, while he converted the second himself with a well-controlled volleyed finish from inside the area.

Success joined Granada in March 2014 after being spotted by the scouting network of their parent club Udinese following impressive performances for both the BJ Foundation Academy in his native Benin City and for Nigeria at Under-17 level. He was assigned to Granada's B team, where he scored three times in five appearances, upon his arrival in Spain but was also an unused substitute for the first team on a couple of occasions towards the end of the 2013-14 season.

The young forward began the 2014-15 campaign as a registered B team player but it wasn't long before he began to get first-team opportunities. His debut came in a start away to Elche in late August and by Christmas he had notched his first goal in a 1-1 draw at home to Valencia. He had appeared 19 times by the end of the season and was rewarded for a highly promising debut campaign with a contract extension through to 2019 this summer.

The 19-year-old has become a regular this season under Jose Ramon Sandoval and has impressed with a series of bright performances for a side who have otherwise struggled during the early part of the campaign. He currently has one assist and three goals to his name, with the latter total including a lovely strike against Sporting Gijon in which he received the ball on the left of the area, cut inside and fired a curling effort into the far corner.

Yet it has not been an entirely smooth ride for the Nigerian. He was fined and temporarily banished from first-team training after he refused to travel with the team for their defeat away to Rayo Vallecano earlier this month in protest over the club's reluctance to further improve his contract. He had previously received warnings for other acts of indiscipline and was only brought back into the fold after issuing a public apology to everyone at the club.

Style

Success is a quick, strong and confident forward whose daring and incisive dribbling causes regular problems for opposing defences. His end product is still a bit hit-and-miss but his physique and persistence make him a real handful for his markers. He is capable of playing through the middle, but Sandoval currently views him as a player who can offer more to his team from a wide starting position on either the left or right flank.

Major Strengths

-- Quick and powerful
-- Skilled and supple dribbler
-- Solid ball-striking technique

Major Weaknesses

-- Inconsistent end product
-- Awareness of teammates' positioning

Assessment Breakdown

Tackling: His role and the manner in which Granada play mean that he is not required to make many tackles, therefore it is difficult to judge his aptitude in this area.

Marking: Puts defenders under decent pressure when appropriate. Starting to become accustomed to tracking back with his full-back but still prone to the odd lapse of concentration when doing so. Sometimes relieved of these duties to stay high and offer an out-ball on the break.

Heading: He stands a tad shy of six-foot and although his build suggests he should be a threat in the air, a record of just four headed attempts on goal -- none of which were on target -- in 30 appearances in La Liga indicates that at this stage of his career it is not a strength.

Close control: His first touch is generally OK, but it is his skilled manipulation of the ball at pace that really impresses. The quick foot-to-foot shuffle and supple change of direction that led to his gasp-inducing nutmeg on Sevilla's Timothee Kolodziejczak at the back end of last season provided a ready demonstration of his talent. Only three players in La Liga have been fouled more often than Success on a per-match basis so far this season.

Passing: Success consistently plays at pace and the accuracy of his passing often suffers from this haste. He is capable of linking decently in close quarters, but he is not a particularly inventive or incisive passer in more open situations. Needs to increase his awareness of the overall picture when in possession in order to add some more variety to his game.

Positioning: At Granada, he generally sticks to a wide starting position in order to receive the ball and take on his full-back. His movement was, however, more varied during his appearances for Nigeria at this year's Under-20 World Cup; he made off-ball runs in behind on the diagonal and also peeled off into the channels to receive the ball with his back to goal and link with incoming teammates. Good at timing his movements into the area.

Crossing: Generally looks to get past his marker towards the byline before providing low crosses into the area. The accuracy of these deliveries varies and he does sometimes seem to play them in blind without taking full note of the positioning of his teammates.

Finishing: Possesses solid technique when striking the ball and generally keeps his cool inside the area, as evidenced by the controlled manner of volleyed strike against Athletic on Sunday. He did, though, make a horrible mess of an excellent chance when through on goal in the 1-0 defeat away to Real Madrid. He has averaged a respectable 2.35 shots per 90 minutes so far this season -- around two-thirds of which he personally fashioned.

[img]http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i/?img=/photo/2015/1124/r29991_1296x729_16-9.jpg&w=738&site=espnfc[/img
Isaac Success enjoyed a solid 2015 Under-20 World Cup with Nigeria, scoring twice in the group stage.

What The Experts Say

Rayo Vallecano coach Paco Jemez:: "Granada base a large percentage of their play around him. He is a strong and powerful player, and that allows them to play a direct and incisive game in certain areas of the pitch. He has been creating a lot of danger and is one of their most important players."

Granada teammate Salva Ruiz: "Success is one of the strongest guys I've ever seen."

19 Sep
David Cartlidge @davidjaca

More positive minutes for Isaac Success, as Marcelo’s been a perfect test for him today. End product in progress. pic.twitter.com/5Kgy8lpvnp

Follow

David Cartlidge @davidjaca

Isaac still only 19, of course will have a few flaws in game. Important thing is making most of minutes he’ll get. Confident showing today.
4:20 PM - 19 Sep 2015

Retweets
2 2 likes
Trivia

Success set up a record label, I.S Music, this summer, and made a cameo appearance in the video for the label's debut single, Young Alhaji, performed by his childhood friend Trazyx.

Conclusion

Success has been in the notebooks of international scouts since his first appearance at under-17 level and his performances so far this season have simply underlined his potential. But he is a player that Granada view as their next big payday -- a player who in two-to-three years is capable of reaching the €20 million valuation assigned to him by his buyout clause -- and it is unlikely that they will allow him to leave at this early stage of his development.

The 19-year-old is already getting regular playing time in one of Europe's big five leagues and is improving on a weekly basis. He is still raw and needs to work on his end product in order to become more consistently decisive for his side, but if he can avoid off-field distractions and remain focused on his development, he looks to have all the attributes necessary to become a very useful top-level forward in the coming years.

Nick Dorrington is a freelance football writer and author of the Scout's Notebook blog. You can follow him on Twitter @chewingthecoca.
http://www.espnfc.co.uk/blog/scouts-notebook/78/post/2725698/nigerian-isaac-success-of-granada-with-top-forward-potential
[/b]

2 Likes

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BlackAlbino6(m): 11:12am On Nov 25, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
ODG: We will make history
[/size]

Owen Da Gama coach of South Africa U23

South Africa U23 coach Owen Da Gama says his team will be inspired to make history as they go to the CAF U23 Eight Nations tournament.

ODG was speaking ahead of the tournament saying the players are aware that should things go their way, they will become the second South African U23 side to reach the Olympics.

The U23’s are in Group A with hosts Senegal, Zambia and Tunisia.

The tournament, also dubbed as the U23 African Cup of Nations, is set to run from 28 November until 12 December.

“It is history for us and the players know it. Should things go our way then the players they will go down in history as the second South African team to have qualified for the Olympic Games,” said ODG.

“The fact that we have reached a tournament of the best on the continent already means a lot and is something to smile about. We are carrying the national flag and we have to do it for the 52 million South Africans, and these players are proud to be doing that for the nation.”

Speaking about their preparations, the coach adds that mental strength will form part of their theme and have done their homework.

“In our last camp the theme was about mental strength. We have prepared them for the worst possible scenario in Senegal,” claims the mentor.

“These boys have proven that intimidation does not work with them. They are also streetwise because they come from difficult backgrounds and understand all these things. They have played on fields without grass, in extreme heat and anything you can think of.

“So we just have to go there and compete and do our best.”

The first match against Senegal is set to get underway on Saturday, 28 November at Leopold Stadium in Dakar at 15:00 (SA Time).
http://mtnfootball.com/news/588175/ODG-We-will-make-history
[/b]
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Icon4s(m): 11:15am On Nov 25, 2015
BlackAlbino6:
[b][size=14pt]
Egypt U23 spank Cameroon to send warning signal to Nigeria
[/size]
[img]http://images.performgroup.com/di/library/Goal_Nigeria/86/bd/egypt-fans_2b6xc85jpeyv14fjrfhhnhcn3.jpg?t=-1547168649&w=620&h=430[/img]
Egypt U-23 Team Fans

By Shina Oludare

Hossam El-Badry’s lads wrapped up preparations for the 2015 African U23 Championship by defeating Cameroon twice in four days
Egypt U23 defeated Cameroon 4-0 in their last warm up game before the commencement of the 2015 African U23 Championship in Senegal.

Goals from Ramadan Sobhy, Karim Waleed, Shoukry Naguib and Saleh Gomaa powered the Pharaohs past their opponents in the Sharm El Sheikh.

They had earlier defeated the Lions 2-0 last Thursday at the same venue.

Egypt are zoned in Group B against Nigeria, Algeria and Mali – and are hoping to seal a place at the 2016 Olympics in Brazil.

The will launch their campaign against Algeria on 29 November 2015, face Nigeria three days later before wrapping up against Mali on 5 December 2015 all in M’Bour.
http://www.goal.com/en-ng/news/4065/africa/2015/11/24/17657142/egypt-u23-spank-cameroon-to-send-warning-signal-to-nigeria?ICID=HP_TS_2
[/b]

Typical of North African sides: They arrange excellent friendlies and excellent preparations. Them beat Cameroun and so? When the games start we'll know who is who.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:46am On Nov 25, 2015
casket:

For a player in class of Isaac Success , with the kind of skills and prowess he has , he deserves a better club not Granada.

Being a 19 year old playing for Granada doesn't define anything being great !

So were else are u sure he will play? From the start granada had a plan for Isaac, remember he was the youngest African to ever play in la liga, this type of dedication is rarely shown to African players. Right now he is their biggest asset, Enyeama and maybe Ighalo are the only other Nigerians we can say that about. If he stays and performs the biggest clubs will come and his price would demand playing time. Granada is not that bad they are just a young team, i see them getting better especially with Isaac's current form.
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by Nobody: 1:16pm On Nov 25, 2015
BascoVanVeli:

So were else are u sure he will play? From the start granada had a plan for Isaac, remember he was the youngest African to ever play in la liga, this type of dedication is rarely shown to African players. Right now he is their biggest asset, Enyeama and maybe Ighalo are the only other Nigerians we can say that about. If he stays and performs the biggest clubs will come and his price would demand playing time. Granada is not that bad they are just a young team, i see them getting better especially with Isaac's current form.

Hmmmm

I still have my reservation for that club sha..I wish the dude all the best .
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BlackAlbino6(m): 4:01pm On Nov 25, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Rio 2016/U-23 AFCON: How Nigeria Qualified For Previous Olympics Football
[/size]

Nigerian U-23 team at the 2008 BEIJING OLYMPIC GAMES

The U-23 Eagles will be taking part in the second edition of the CAF U-23 Cup of Nations which kicks off in Senegal on Saturday 28 November. They will have to find their way out of a group that comprises Mali, Algeria and Egypt, before thinking of landing one of the tickets for the Rio 2016 Olympic Games.

At the maiden edition in Morocco in 2012, the U-23 Eagles could not make it out of the group stage. But they will hope to make amends this time around when hostilities commence in Senegal.

Ahead of their first game on Sunday against Mali, Completesportsnigeria.com's JAMES AGBEREBI takes a look at how Nigeria have managed to make it to the men's football event of the Olympic Games in the past…

1968, MEXICO CITY OLYMPIC GAMES

Nigeria's first ever appearance in the football event of the Olympic Games was in Mexico City in 1968. The likes of Peter Fregene, Paul Hamilton, Sebastine Broderick-Imasuen, Ganiyu Salami, Kenneth Olayombo and Augustine Ouokwu, became the first set of players to qualify Nigeria for the football event of the Olympics.

In the qualifiers for the games, Nigeria had a walkover against Uganda in the first round of Group 2. In the second round, they faced Sudan who they beat 1-0 in the first leg in Nigeria. The return leg saw Sudan win 2-1, but Nigeria progressed into the final round via a coin toss.
And in the final round of the qualifiers Nigeria took on Ethiopia and beat them 4-1 on aggregate: 3-1 in Nigeria and 1-0 in Addis Ababa.

1976, MONTREAL OLYMPIC GAMES

The qualifiers for the football event saw Nigeria walk over Cameroon in the first round. They also had a walkover against Mali in the second round. In the final round, Nigeria were drawn against Morocco who they beat 3-1 at home before losing 1-0 away to qualify 3-2 on aggregate.

Unfortunately, most sovereign African countries, including Nigeria, boycotted the Montreal Games when the International Olympic Committee (IOC) would not support, as had other international sporting organizations, the banning from competition of those countries whose athletes had participated in sporting events in South Africa as long as Apartheid continued.

1980, MOSCOW OLYMPIC GAMES

Due to the American-led political boycott, which saw U.S. President Jimmy Carter refusing to send American teams to Moscow after the Soviets' Afghanistan invasion, six other countries that had qualified for the football tournament followed suit- Argentina, Egypt, Ghana, Iran, Malaysia and Norway. In their place, as invitees and not qualifiers, were Venezuela, Zambia, Nigeria, Iraq, Syria, Finland and Cuba.

1988, SEOUL OLYMPIC GAMES

After missing out of the football event of the 1984 Los Angeles Games, Nigeria made a return four years later in 1988 in Seoul, South Korea.
Nigeria took on Liberia in the first round of the qualifiers. They lost the first leg 2-1 in Monrovia but made amends when they triumphed 4-1 in the reverse fixture. Up next was Zimbabwe who they held 0-0 in Harare and beat 2-0 in Nigeria.

The final round saw Nigeria square off against Algeria and won 2-1 on aggregate. They overturned the 1-0 first leg away loss with a 2-0 home win to pick the ticket.

1996, ATLANTA OLYMPIC GAMES

Dubbed the 'Dream Team' which was made up of skipper Nwankwo Kanu, Daniel Amokachi, Austin Okocha, Sunday Oliseh, Uche Okechukwu, Taribo West and Tijani Babangida, these players made history by becoming the first African team to win an Olympic football gold.
Before the history-making feat, they had to negotiate through some tricky ties during the qualifiers. They were paired against a less fancied Kenyan side who surprised them by forcing a 0-0 draw in the first leg in Lagos. In the return leg in Mombasa, Nigeria thrashed Kenya 3-0 to advance into the second round.

In the second round, Nigeria hosted Egypt in Lagos in the first leg and won 3-2. The second leg in Cairo saw both teams settle for a 1-1 draw.
Nigeria finally picked the ticket after they beat Zimbabwe 1-0 both home and away, to finish the tie 2-0 on aggregate.

2000, SYDNEY OLYMPIC GAMES

The qualifiers for the Sydney Olympic Games saw Nigeria face Namibia in the first round. In the first leg that was played in Lagos, Nigeria won 4-0 but lost the second leg in Windhock 3-2.

In the second round, Nigeria were grouped with Angola, Uganda and Zimbabwe, with the group winners picking a ticket to the Games.
Nigeria's first group game was a 2-0 win against Angola. Their suffered a 2-1 loss in their second group game to Zimbabwe in Harare. The double header against Uganda saw Nigeria win 3-2 in Kampala and 1-0 in Lagos.

Their next game was away to Angola which Nigeria lost 3-1. And in their final group game, Nigeria needed to beat Zimbabwe by four goals to stand a chance of qualifying, and that they did thanks to goals from Emmanuel Ebiede (brace) Yakubu Aiyegbeni and Pius Ikedia.

2008, BEIJING OLYMPIC GAMES

Nigeria were not part of the first round qualifiers for the football event of the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games. They eventually joined the fray when they took on Equatorial Guinea. They won the first leg 5-0 at home and progressed into the group stage despite losing the second leg 2-0.

The Nigerian team, then led by current coach Samson Siasia, were then grouped with Ghana, Ethiopia and South Africa. Ethiopia were later suspended by FIFA for failing to comply with agreed steps to resolve the leadership dispute within its federation, following the dismissal of its president. With Ethiopia out of the race, Nigeria slugged it out with Ghana and South Africa.

Against Ghana in their first match in Abuja, they won 3-2, before holding South Africa 1-1 away. Following Ghana's home and away win against South Africa, Nigeria had to avoid defeat against Ghana away to stand a chance of picking the group's sole ticket. And after a grueling encounter, the game finished goalless and the last game against South in Abuja saw Nigeria finally picking the ticket thanks to a 3-0 win.
http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/rio-2016u-23-afcon-nigeria-qualified-previous-olympics-football/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BlackAlbino6(m): 4:11pm On Nov 25, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Victor Osimhen Eager For U-23 AFCON Challenge
[/size]

Osimhen (right) in FIFA U-17 World Cup

By Adeboye Amosu:

Victor Osimhen is looking forward to making an impact for Nigeria at the Africa U-23 Nations Cup in Senegal, Completesportsnigeria.com can report.

The youngster took the place of Granada of Spain striker, Isaac Success, in the squad after the La Liga side failed to release him for the competition.

The former Golden Eaglets goal getter is relishing the chance of coming up against the top side in the continent.
"Our next challenge is ahead.#AFCON 2015 in Senegal.#Godwin #U23 calling," he wrote on his Twitter handle.
The U-23 Eagles will take on Mali in their opening game in Mbour on Sunday.

Osimhen was a key member of Nigeria's U-17 side that won the FIFA U-17 World Cup in Chile earlier this month.
He scored 10 goals in the competition to become the record goal scorer in the history of the championship.
http://www.completesportsnigeria.com/victor-osimhen-eager-u-23-afcon-challenge/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BlackAlbino6(m): 4:19pm On Nov 25, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Awoniyi back to Glory land Senegal
[/size]
Taiwo Awoniyi is returning to Senegal, where in March he helped Nigeria clinch the 2015 African Youth Championship, with the target of getting the goals to qualify the country for next year’s Olympics in Rio de Janeiro.

Mikel to wait and see at Chelsea

"Qualifying for the Rio Olympics is non-negotiable as we have no excuse to give Nigerians, that's why we have to put in our best to get something out of Senegal," declared Awoniyi ahead of Nigeria’s opening Group B match against Mali Sunday evening in Mbour.

Earlier this year, the 18-year-old gangling centre-forward scored thrice as Nigeria’s Flying Eagles clinched a record seventh AYC in Dakar.

His goals and combination play with midfielder Ifeanyi Matthew was the talk of the continental U20 tournament and further underlined his undoubted class.

He was the official Man of the Match award winner in the group game against hosts Senegal and Congo.

The Liverpool loanee, who is armed with a great hold-up play upfront and good positioning, will now hope to reproduce such form back in Senegal nine months after.

The Ilorin-born player, who has been widely compared to the legendary Rashidi Yekini, has already proved his worth with the U23s when he helped them eliminate Zambia for the All Africa Games in Congo Brazzaville with two goals in the return leg after the Dream Team VI were held in Abuja.

However, his move to English Premier League outfit Liverpool meant he was not available for the AAG finals, where Nigeria finished third.

He has proved to be a striker, who has always risen to the occasion beginning at the 2013 U17 World Cup, where he scored four goals and provided four assists when he deputized for the injured Isaac Success.

Reports suggest that Awoniyi will play a bigger role for struggling German Bundesliga 2 side, FSV Frankfurt in the second round of the season in January as he is yet to make his league debut for them after appearances in cup and friendly games.

Born: 12 August, 1997

Height: 1.78m

International career: Nigeria U15, U17, U20, U23

Honours: Silver 2013 CAF U17 Championship,Gold 2013 FIFA U17 World Cup, Gold 2015 AYC

Goals: 4 goals 2013 FIFA U17 World Cup; 3 goals 2015 AYC; 2 goals 2015 U20 World Cup
http://africanfootball.com//news/588223/Awoniyi-back-to-Glory-land-Senegal
[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BlackAlbino6(m): 4:32pm On Nov 25, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Nigeria: Wolves Reward Iorfa With New Deal
[/size]

Dominic Iorfa

By David Ngobua With Agency Report

After an outstanding performance in his first season with the senior team, Championship side, Wolverhampton Wanderers have signed England junior international, Dominic Iorfa jnr for a new three- and- a-half year deal.

The young full-back's previous contract was set to expire at the end of next season but, after putting pen to paper on a new deal, Iorfa's Wolves future is sealed until 2019.

Speaking after agreeing his new terms, Iorfa said: "It's been going on for a while now and it's a good feeling now it's all been sorted.

"I'm just happy that it's finished and I can focus completely on my football.

"I'm happy with the deal but I'm staying grounded, I still want to do well for the club and keep improving as a player.

"The fact that the club have been pleased with what I've done and the fact that they wanted to offer me another contract is really good."

The 20-year-old made his Wolves debut against AFC Bournemouth on December 6th, 2014 and has enjoyed a successful 12 months since he first took to the Molineux pitch.
http://allafrica.com/stories/201511250080.html
[/b]

1 Like

Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BlackAlbino6(m): 4:49pm On Nov 25, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Senegal U-23 held by Mali in final warm-up
[/size]
Senegal Under-23 national team were held to a 2-2 draw by their Malian counterparts in Dakar on Tuesday, as the two sides are preparing for the 2015 Africa U-23 Cup of Nations.

The continental tournament will take place in Senegal between 28 November and 12 December, with the top three teams to qualify for the 2016 Summer Olympics.

The Lions twice came from behind against the Eagles at Stade Léopold Sédar Senghor, through a second-half brace from Ibrahima Sory Keita.

The two teams had already played to a goalless draw in a first friendly meeting last Sunday in Toubab Dialaw.

Tournament hosts Senegal will launch their AFCON campaign against South Africa in Dakar on Saturday, before facing their other Group A opponents, Tunisia and Zambia, while Mali will take on Nigeria in their Group B opener in M’Bour the next day, before battling Algeria and Egypt.
http://africanfootball.com/news/588216/Senegal-U-23-held-by-Mali-in-final-warm-up
[/b]
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BlackAlbino6(m): 4:55pm On Nov 25, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Amaefule promises his best at U23 AFCON
[/size]

Former Flying Eagles defender Chizoba Amaefule has promised to justify his surprise inclusion on the final squad to the U23 AFCON in Senegal.

Amaefule, who played for Qatari club Al Markiyha Sports club last season, said he will give it his best shot to make the team achieve greatness in Senegal.

"I thank God for this opportunity. I am very happy for making the final squad to the U23 championship. It's always thing of joy for me to represent my country and I will do my best in Senegal in other not to let myself, my fans, the coach and the nation down,"Amaefule vowed.

The former Dolphins central defender represented Nigeria at the 2013 FIFA U20 World Cup in Turkey after he featured for the Flying Eagles at the 2013 AYC in Algeria.
http://africanfootball.com/news/588260/Amaefule-promises-his-best-at-U23-AFCON
[/b]
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by BlackAlbino6(m): 5:03pm On Nov 25, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Nigeria U23 can pick Rio Olympics ticket – NFF
[/size]
[img]http://images.performgroup.com/di/library/Goal_Nigeria/3e/65/nigeria-u23-dream-team-vi_1shoob3hn8dh6107bn3z069pkb.jpg?t=-1218239121&w=300&h=210[/img]
Nigeria U-23 Team

By Shemmy Sholabomi

The African U23 Championship begins this weekend and the Nigeria Football Federation feels the country can seal a place to Rio 2016

Nigeria Football Federation general secretary Dr. Sanusi Muhammed is optimist about the chances of the country’s U23 team to qualify for next year’s Olympics.

Samson Siasia’s men are zoned in Group B and would play their opening game on Sunday against Mali before facing Egypt and Algeria.

And the NFF scribe is upbeat about the team’s chances while urging Nigerians to pray for the team’s success in Senegal.

“The team is very ready for the task ahead and in good spirit. They have played two friendly matches, won one and drew the other. By tomorrow (Wednesday) they will leave Gambia for Senegal,” said Sanusi.

“We have done the MRI test here and for those that are not here and those that have joined the team in Gambia have all done their MRI test and everything is okay. Those that have been decamped are coming back to Nigeria tomorrow (Wednesday).

“So I can confidently tell you that the team are in good spirit and by the grace of God they will do Nigeria proud and we will qualify for next year’s Olympics.

“What we are urging Nigeria to do is to be optimistic that victory is going to our portion. Let them continue to pray because united we stand, divided we fall. With prayers we can move mountain.

“We have players that have the skills, abilities and everything but what we need is prayers for this team from all Nigerians and God will do it for us.”

Sanusi however praised Siaisa for the mature way he had handled his mother’s kidnap issue and carried on with his work.

“Samson Siasia is a man. I can always say that he is a man because when I spoke with him and wanted to psyche him up he told me that we just have to pray for the release of his mother. He said that if people are trying to distract him from what he is supposed to do for the country he said that by the grace of God he won’t be distracted.
http://www.goal.com/en-ng/news/11252/nigeria-u23/2015/11/25/17696412/nigeria-u23-can-pick-rio-olympics-ticket-nff?ICID=HP_BN_9
[/b]
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 1:00pm On Nov 26, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Algeria, Egypt kick off road to Rio
[/size]

Egypt's Pharaohs U23

Egypt will take on Algeria in M’Bour on Sunday, in their Group B opener of the 2015 Africa U-23 Cup of Nations.

The continental tournament is taking place in Senegal between 28 November and 12 December, with the top three teams set to punch their ticket for the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio.

The two rivals will be looking to get their campaign off to a winning start before facing heavyweights Mali and Nigeria, their other Group B opponents, in their bid for a semifinals spot.

And both squads travelled to Senegal in a confident mood ahead of the event.

“I think we are ready. We have been working very hard to represent our country in the best possible way,” Algeria U-23 keeper Abdelkader Salhi told competition.dz.

“We are launching our campaign against Egypt, and if it goes well I cannot see why we won’t be able to keep our momentum going and qualify for the Olympics. It is the dream of any player and we will do everything to reach our objective.”

The young Pharaohs are in similar high spirit as they prepare for their opening clash, determined to get through the group stage despite the quality of their three opponents.

“I have a target and it is to qualify for the Olympics, no matter what the names of the opponents are,” Egypt U-23 coach Hossam El-Badry told Algerian media El-Shorouk.

“We don't fear any opponent as we look to win all our games in the continental tournament to reach the Olympics,” added the former Ahly manager, who relies on the experience of his players at senior level to reach their objective.

“My team includes many Egyptian Premier League stars and some of them played regularly with the Pharaohs so I am confident that they will perform well in the upcoming tournament.”

The game will kick off at Stade Caroline Faye at 17h00 CAT on Sunday 29 November.
http://mtnfootball.com/news/588491/Algeria-Egypt-kick-off-road-to-Rio
[/b]
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 1:06pm On Nov 26, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Gomaa doubtful for Algeria clash
[/size]

Egypt Midfielder Salrh Gomaa is injured (Photo: Reuters)

By Phumzile Ngcatshe
Egypt U23 national team midfielder Saleh Gomaa is doubtful of playing his first game for the Pharaohs after sustaining a hamstring injury.

Acording to KingFut, the Al Ahly player may not form part of their opening match against Algeria in the U23 CAF Eight Nations tournament.

Gomaa, recently completed his switch to Al Ahly in summer from Enppi and has been listed in the final squad to travel to Senegal with the Olympic national team.

“The results will be in on Wednesday morning to see the seriousness of the injury,“ said Gomaa.

SENEGAL, SA TO OPEN U-23 AFCON IN DAKAR

“If I have suffered a tear, I will travel in time for the second game of the national team however if it is just a strain, I will travel within two days.”

When asked about the player’s condition, team manager Hossam El-Badr said he has taken precautions to ensure he is not missing any players.

“I took the necessary steps prior to any case and decided to call up 22 players instead of 21 because I felt that we would have an injury to deal with,” adds the coach.

Egypt has been drawn with Algeria, Mali and Nigeria in group B where they play all their group stage games in Stade Caroline Faye in M’bour.

The two finalists along with the winner of the third place play-off winner will qualify to the 2016 Summer Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro.
http://africanfootball.com/news/588506/Gomaa-doubtful-for-Algeria-clash
[/b]
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 1:11pm On Nov 26, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Zambia confident of achieving Olympic dream
[/size]

Emmanuel Mbola

The Zambian under-23 men's football team is confident of qualifying for a first Olympic Games in 28 years.

Chipolopolo kick-off their quest for U-23 2015 African Cup of Nations glory against Tunisia in Dakar, Senegal, on Saturday.

The tournament consists of eight teams from the African continent, with the top three teams automatically booking their place at the 2016 Games in Rio de Janeiro.

Zambia last qualified for the Olympics in 1988, having also previously qualified for the 1980 Games in Moscow, Russia. Zambia topped their group at the 1988 showpiece only to lose 4-0 to West Germany in the knockout stages.

President of the Football Association of Zambia, Kalusha Bwalya, is hopeful that the Southern Africans will end a run of close to three decades.

"Going to the Olympics is a good feeling and we have the confidence that we can do that and break the 28-year absence," Bwalya is quoted as saying.

Tunisia have qualified for the Olympics Football tournament on four previous occasions, 1960, 1988, 1996 and 2004.

Hosts Senegal and South Africa complete Group A, with the top two teams progressing to the semifinals.

Kick-off at the Stade Léopold Sédar Senghor is scheduled for 20h00 CAT.
http://africanfootball.com/news/588531/Zambia-confident-of-achieving-Olympic-dream
[/b]
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 1:16pm On Nov 26, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Senegal, SA to open U-23 AFCON in Dakar
[/size]

South Africa U-23's Keagan Dolly

Senegal and South Africa will open the 2015 U-23 Africa Cup of Nations when they meet for their Group A clash at the Stade Léopold Sédar Senghor in Dakar on Saturday, kick-off at 17h00 CAT.

The tournament will not only decide the U-23 champions of the African continent, but also serves as the qualifiers for the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, with the top three finishers booking their trip to Brazil.

Senegal will begin the tournament as one of the favourites. Not only do they have home advantage, but they also have momentum, with their team winning gold at the All Africa Games in Brazzaville back in September.

Coach Serigne Saliou Dia has retained most of the players who did duty in that tournament in Congo, emphasising consistency in selection. He has also added a few players from Senegal’s U-20 team which reached the semifinals of the U-20 World Cup in New Zealand earlier this year.

“Stability was one of the criteria that we used in selection. These players performed well and claimed the gold medal in Congo,” said Dia, who added that this tournament will be a completely different challenge to the All Africa Games.

“[The U-23 AFCON] will be a different football tournament compared to the African Games. Because virtually all major African teams will be there and will present their best elements, including expatriates [overseas-based players] for certain."

South Africa, meanwhile, are arguably one of the underdogs heading into the tournament, but remain determined that they will be able to secure a place at the Olympics – something they haven’t achieved since the famous ‘Class of 2000’ which appeared at the Sydney Games.

“History beckons for us, and the players know that as well. They will certainly go down in the history books as, probably, the second team to have qualified – if they do; or when they do,” said coach Owen Da Gama.

“We are very, very excited and looking forward to a fantastic tournament.”

The other Group A match on Saturday sees Zambia and Tunisia meet at the same venue at 20h00 CAT.
http://africanfootball.com/news/588462/Senegal-SA-to-open-U-23-AFCON-in-Dakar
[/b]
Re: All The News About The Olympic Eagles (U-23) HERE! by terzurum5(m): 1:20pm On Nov 26, 2015
[b][size=14pt]
Peters eyeing Rio 2016 spot
[/size]

Kyle Peters

By Phumzile Ngcatshe

South African U23 goalkeeper Kyle Peters believes the trip to the CAF Eight Nations tournament in Senegal presents an opportunity to book a spot in the 2016 Rio Olympics.

The Cape Town All Stars net minder in the South African National First Division spoke exclusively to African Football.com before their departure to Dakar.

The 22-year-old former Ajax Cape Town development goalkeeper also shared his ambitions in the next few years to come, saying he has ambitions of playing in top European leagues.

Owe Da Gama’s men are in Senegal having left on Tuesday and are now preparing for their opening encounter against the hosts on Saturday.

EAGLETS STAR NWAKALI HEADS FIRST TO BELGIAN CLUB

“We have to work hard as a team and do our best to qualify for Rio or win the tournament,” said Peters.

“Yes, playing for All Stars has helped me to get recognition and my good form at club level has indeed helped me.

“It’s my second time in camp with the national team and it feels great I must say – everything is okay so far and we’re looking forward to the tournament.

“My ambition and dream is to play overseas in the next three years and it’s possible with hard work.”

After their clash against Senegal, ODG’S side will meet Zambia as well as Tunisia in Group A. The tournament is set to run from 28 November until 12 December.
http://africanfootball.com/news/588267/Peters-eyeing-Rio-2016-spot
[/b]

(1) (2) (3) ... (90) (91) (92) (93) (94) (95) (96) ... (341) (Reply)

Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread / The NBA Begins / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 164
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.