Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,660 members, 7,816,692 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:25 PM

Tokunbo Lexus Rx 300 Or Brand New Kia Rio 2014 - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Tokunbo Lexus Rx 300 Or Brand New Kia Rio 2014 (13664 Views)

RX 300 Or Honda Pilot Or Toyota Highlander / Purchasing A New Kia Rio / Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tokunbo Lexus Rx 300 Or Brand New Kia Rio 2014 by Nobody: 11:13pm On Oct 18, 2014
slydog:

Don't you think the 2.8m price will even get me a Tokunbo RX 330 and with a few more cash, who knows I could even get a RX 350, but now 330 even looks too flashy for my pay grade.....

That 2.8m price will get you the stripped out model of RX330 toks and not with the full optioned extras installed, it CANNOT get you an RX350 (for now at least).

1 Like

Re: Tokunbo Lexus Rx 300 Or Brand New Kia Rio 2014 by Raymie(m): 11:26pm On Oct 18, 2014
If yhure aiming at an RX330, then I will urge yhu to go for it. I think 2.8 can give yhu a decent toks RX330. This I will take over a 2015 kia Rio
Re: Tokunbo Lexus Rx 300 Or Brand New Kia Rio 2014 by danadam(m): 11:58pm On Oct 18, 2014
slydog:

Wat do u think about it

I'm with team lexus. I love some luxury and power which the lexus will offer more compare to the kia rio. It all depends on what you want from a car. I know a rio can't give me the confidence to hit 180 kmph when the need arises so it's a NO NO for me.
P.S. I drive a W203 4matic MY 2005 purchased for 2.4m last year and my grade is offi.... 2. So my guy, get the best car you money can fetch for you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tokunbo Lexus Rx 300 Or Brand New Kia Rio 2014 by fsb(m): 8:03am On Oct 19, 2014
This is how my elder brother chose a Murano over a so called 'kia or hyundai'. The car eventually turned his life to 'living in bondage' despite the fact that he bought NS-1 from US for his gear box.

While it remains very obvious that the Lexus has a better build, has SUV capabilities and all the 'gizmos', it remains a TOKUNBO not NEW.

I drive a kia Rio 2014 LX (base edition) which I got for 2.3m a few months ago. The demerits so far include the fact that it has 'Absolutely No' airbags and for some reason (Siena would explain the physics behind this), it could drift a little if you overtake a much larger vehicle (truck) at very high speeds. Having said this,

1. Would I prefer my kia over my VW Jetta 2006? No because if the VW was a babe, I would have married her

2. Would I make the decision to buy a kia again if I had to? Yes. There is unimaginable peace driving a new car (heck, my mechanics call me to say 'oga, we no dey c u again o' and I love it when they do that.) If you want peace for 4years, go for a new car regardless of brand.

For kia, I would say buy a base cerato instead of the Rio (EX).

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tokunbo Lexus Rx 300 Or Brand New Kia Rio 2014 by chillex8(m): 8:53am On Oct 19, 2014
fsb:
This is how my elder brother chose a Murano over a so called 'kia or hyundai'. The car eventually turned his life to 'living in bondage' despite the fact that he bought NS-1 from US for his gear box.

While it remains very obvious that the Lexus has a better build, has SUV capabilities and all the 'gizmos', it remains a TOKUNBO not NEW.

I drive a kia Rio 2014 LX (base edition) which I got for 2.3m a few months ago. The demerits so far include the fact that it has 'Absolutely No' airbags and for some reason (Siena would explain the physics behind this), it could drift a little if you overtake a much larger vehicle (truck) at very high speeds. Having said this,

1. Would I prefer my kia over my VW Jetta 2006? No because if the VW was a babe, I would have married her

2. Would I make the decision to buy a kia again if I had to? Yes. There is unimaginable peace driving a new car (heck, my mechanics call me to say 'oga, we no dey c u again o' and I love it when they do that.) If you want peace for 4years, go for a new car regardless of brand.

For kia, I would say buy a base cerato instead of the Rio (EX).

Please tell them

USED over NEW

Op, don't be jejuned.
Re: Tokunbo Lexus Rx 300 Or Brand New Kia Rio 2014 by Nobody: 9:35am On Oct 19, 2014
chillex8:
Please tell them

USED over NEW

When the "new" in question is a stripped-out husk, absolutely.

I would go with a used reputable brand that offers a degree of safety, comfort and driving enjoyment.

In the same way, I would choose a 5-year-old BMW E60 535i over a brand new Kia Optima.

I have worked for a Kia dealership, and after seeing what owners went through - rectifying rattles, squeaks, incorrectly fitted factory options, vibration from poorly manufactured clutch / flywheel assemblies etc, I'm wiser.

I remember a brand new Kia Cee'd that had an SRS light on even before it was sold. A scan showed it was a bad passenger airbag igniter that was the culprit. It was replaced, and the car was sold.

It was back 105 miles later with the same fault. Another igniter was fitted, only to fail after 57 more miles. After using Kia's EWD, it was discovered the igniter was incorrectly wired from the factory. After the repair, all was well.

Then the case of a brand Kia Optima, with one lower rear suspension damper secured with a normal 15mm nut instead of a locking nut. It eventually worked itself loose, and the suspension began to rattle. The fault was rectified, the client had only had the car for 3 weeks.

So these are just some of the issues I have with Kia or Hyundai. These are not down to a poor brand, but down to poor quality control post-production. I prefer an older big brand car that could possibly break down and fail to start, than a brand new cheap brand that has failure of safety-related components.

To me, safety is paramount.

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Tokunbo Lexus Rx 300 Or Brand New Kia Rio 2014 by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:58am On Oct 19, 2014
Possible problems you could have with your "tokumbor" Rx300 in a very short time.

Leaking oil seals
Faulty knock sensors
Faulty O2 sensors
Faulty suspension
Faulty tyres
Leaking power steering hoses
Faulty coil packs
Faulty airconditioning
Cd player not reading cds
Faulty engine mounts
Faulty cooling fans
Rust related issues.
And a host of other problems.........

As long as its a used car, any of the listed faults could happen without notice, a new KIA is a better option to a USED rx300 any day.

Modified

If you had any of the listed problems with your kia within your warranty period, they would be fixed FREE of charge by kia, meanwhile if your RX300 has a problem you will open thread on NL cartalk.

4 Likes

Re: Tokunbo Lexus Rx 300 Or Brand New Kia Rio 2014 by chillex8(m): 10:07am On Oct 19, 2014
Siena:

When the "new" in question is a stripped-out husk, absolutely.

I would go with a used reputable brand that offers a degree of safety, comfort and driving enjoyment.

In the same way, I would choose a 5-year-old BMW E60 535i over a brand new Kia Optima.

I have worked for a Kia dealership, and after seeing what owners went through - rectifying rattles, squeaks, incorrectly fitted factory options, vibration from poorly manufactured clutch / flywheel assemblies etc, I'm wiser.

I remember a brand new Kia Cee'd that had an SRS light on even before it was sold. A scan showed it was a bad passenger airbag igniter that was the culprit. It was replaced, and the car was sold.

It was back 105 miles later with the same fault. Another igniter was fitted, only to fail after 57 more miles. After using Kia's EWD, it was discovered the igniter was incorrectly wired from the factory. After the repair, all was well.

Then the case of a brand Kia Optima, with one lower rear suspension damper secured with a normal 15mm nut instead of a locking nut. It eventually worked itself loose, and the suspension began to rattle. The fault was rectified, the client had only had the car for 3 weeks.

So these are just some of the issues I have with Kia or Hyundai. These are not down to a poor brand, but down to poor quality control post-production. I prefer an older big brand car that could possibly break down and fail to start, than a brand new cheap brand that has failure of safety-related components.

To me, safety is paramount.

I didn't bother to read your epistle..

I am only replying cos you quoted my post..

NEW over USED/tokunbo any day any time..

I am guaranteed of a problem-fee ride for the next 4 years....

In my family,

Honda 1997, bought brand new (now 330,000miles)- still kicking till date, factory engine.. TrAnsmission is bad now.. But can still be driven

Honda accord 2007 bought brand new (now 113,000 Km) - still kicking till date. (bonet has been opened twice in seven years of ownership).

Honda pilot 2012 bought brand new- (now 4,000 miles) bonnet hasn't been opened since it left honda place..

Toyota prado 2014 bought brand new (now 700miles) - AM certain for the next 10 years, there will be no single mechanical/electrical repairs...

Honda odyssey 2001 bought toks 199,000 miles - under 4 months, engine and transmission was changed. So many other components were changed

Honda accord 1996 American spec bought toks- after 1 year, engine was replaced. Followed by numerous mechanical issues...

Peugoet 505 1989 bought brand new- was sold in 2004 with the factory engine inside...

Mercedes 200 1987 bought brand new, served for years before it was involved in an accident and condemned..

Mercedes 230 vboot padded bought toks in 1998.. Used to travel to the east from lagos. After two years, carburetor started giving issues.. Now condemned..

The kia rio in question has all the basic facilities required in a vehicle.. And it goes for almost the same price as a used rx330..

I will go for the kia rio any day, so long it is NEW...

My humble opinion..

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tokunbo Lexus Rx 300 Or Brand New Kia Rio 2014 by Nobody: 10:28am On Oct 19, 2014
chillex8:
My humble opinion..

Somehow, your stating you didn't "bother to read my epistle", and then claiming humility don't go together. Unlike yourself, I read EVERYTHING I reply to. Otherwise I won't learn anything.

Out of interest, why would you even bother quoting my "epistle" if you weren't going to read it?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tokunbo Lexus Rx 300 Or Brand New Kia Rio 2014 by chillex8(m): 10:37am On Oct 19, 2014
Brand new car Over used/tokunbo..

Even if its made in Nigeria.

Can anyone pls show me any complaint thread of a car that was bought brand-new

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tokunbo Lexus Rx 300 Or Brand New Kia Rio 2014 by abatically(m): 10:42am On Oct 19, 2014
chillex8:

In my family,

Honda 1997, bought brand new (now 330,000miles)- still kicking till date, factory engine.. TrAnsmission is bad now.. But can still be driven

Honda accord 2007 bought brand new (now 113,000 Km) - still kicking till date. (bonet has been opened twice in seven years of ownership).

Honda pilot 2012 bought brand new- (now 4,000 miles) bonnet hasn't been opened since it left honda place..

Toyota prado 2014 bought brand new (now 700miles) - AM certain for the next 10 years, there will be no single mechanical/electrical repairs...

Honda odyssey 2001 bought toks 199,000 miles - under 4 months, engine and transmission was changed. So many other components were changed

Honda accord 1996 American spec bought toks- after 1 year, engine was replaced. Followed by numerous mechanical issues...

Peugoet 505 1989 bought brand new- was sold in 2004 with the factory engine inside...

Mercedes 200 1987 bought brand new, served for years before it was involved in an accident and condemned..

Mercedes 230 vboot padded bought toks in 1998.. Used to travel to the east from lagos. After two years, carburetor started giving issues.. Now condemned..

The kia rio in question has all the basic facilities required in a vehicle.. And it goes for almost the same price as a used rx330..

My humble opinion..

I didn't see any Kia rio in all Brand new cars u listed. U said u bought a brand new 2007 accord and the bonnet has not been opened. That is 7 years now, so if a 7 years old car is still serving u well then what is wrong in buying a used 2007 solid car that was well maintained by the owner. Or did u forget that a tokunbo car was also bought brand new by the initial owner? A brand new Kia rio will not last 5 years and keep its shape, I can bet on that.

This is why it is good to buy a clean title car when buying a used car. The problem nigerians have is they buy salvaged cars. If Mr A bought his 2007 camry for 1.8 million, and Mr B goes to the market to buy his and dealer tells him 2.5 million he will think he's being cheated, and run to buy a salvaged one for 1.8 million. The price of used cars are not constant. It depends on mileage, how clean it is and carfax record. It is good to buy a car with good carfax record regardless of price.

Nothing beats a brand new car, but in case of a new Kia rio and used Lexus rx330, it's the Lexus all the way.

3 Likes

Re: Tokunbo Lexus Rx 300 Or Brand New Kia Rio 2014 by Eyop: 10:46am On Oct 19, 2014
chillex8:

In my family,

My humble opinion..

You points understood. But how do you service the car(s) when bonnet is only opened once or twice throughout the ownership? So even if it's Joylong,jing bei,Chin chu,Soi long,etc,you would still prefer that over a certified used Lexus,Mercedes,BMW,etc.

You also mentioned buying a used Honda @ 199,000miles,what was the condition of the ride when it was bought? So many will buy a used car that isn't in a good condition(Flooded,accidented,etc) and after months of usage start experiencing issues and they conclude that a used car is bad. We are comparing 2 brands here and by all standard,Lexus have it whether used or new so far it's in a good condition if bought used.

1 Like

Re: Tokunbo Lexus Rx 300 Or Brand New Kia Rio 2014 by chillex8(m): 10:50am On Oct 19, 2014
abatically:

I didn't see any Kia rio in all Brand new cars u listed. U said I bought a brand new 2007 accord and the bonnet has not been opened. That is 7 years now, so if a 7 years old car is still serving I well then what is wrong in buying a used 2007 solid car that was well maintained by the owner. A brand new Kia rio will not last 5 years and keep its shape, I can bet on that.

This is why it is good to buy a clean title car when buying a used car. The problem nigerians have is they buy a salvaged car. If Mr A bought his 2007 camry for 1.8 million, and Mr B goes to the market to buy his and dealer tells him 2.5 million he will think he's being cheated, and run to buy a salvaged one for 1.8 million. The price of used cars are not constant. It depends on mileage, how clean it is and carfax record. It is good to buy a car with good carfax record regardless of price.

If I had to choose between a used lexus 330 and a brand new kia rio, since they are almost the same price and have the basic requirements in a vehicle

I will go for the kia rio, simply because it is Brand new..

No questions..

1 Like

Re: Tokunbo Lexus Rx 300 Or Brand New Kia Rio 2014 by chillex8(m): 10:55am On Oct 19, 2014
Eyop:

You points understood. But how do you service the car(s) when bonnet is only opened once or twice throughout the ownership? So even if it's Joylong,jing bei,Chin chu,Soi long,etc,you would still prefer that over a certified used Lexus,Mercedes,BMW,etc.

You also mentioned buying a used Honda @ 199,000miles,what was the condition of the ride when it was bought? So many will buy a used car that isn't in a good condition(Flooded,accidented,etc) and after months of usage start experiencing issues and they conclude that a used car is bad. We are comparing 2 brands here and by all standard,Lexus have it whether used or new so far it's in a good condition if bought used.

The honda odyssey was a clean title..

As you said, we are comparing two brands..

The comparism should be between a brand-new lexus rx series and a brand-new kia rio...

That way, there is a level field..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tokunbo Lexus Rx 300 Or Brand New Kia Rio 2014 by Eyop: 11:03am On Oct 19, 2014
chillex8:

The honda odyssey was a clean title..

As you said, we are comparing two brands..

The comparism should be between a brand-new lexus rx series and a brand-new kia rio...

That way, there is a level field..

Apart from the Honda Odyssey having a clear title,there are other factors to be put into consideration like the service history,etc.

The OP's topic is comparing a Used Lexus RX300 vs a Brand new Kia Rio. There's still a "level field" in comparing both. My brother bought a brand new Kia Rio from Dana motors and in less than a year,the engine developed an issue and was worked on. There's no way i will pick a kia rio over a lexus Rx 300. What the OP needs to do is to ensure it's a certified used one and his budget can get him an Rx 330 not even the Rx 300.

1 Like

Re: Tokunbo Lexus Rx 300 Or Brand New Kia Rio 2014 by Nobody: 11:11am On Oct 19, 2014
chillex8:
Can anyone pls show me any complaint thread of a car that was bought brand-new

When we state Brand New, for the purpose of this thread, let's stick with Kia. Because this is the issue here - Brand New Kia Vs used Lexus. Take a gander at this, assuming it's not too long an epistle, of course:

http://www.kiaownersclub.co.uk/forum/new-kia-picanto-vr7-nightmare_topic20073.html

I could pick up my bluntest spade, and dig deeper, but this will do for starters. One of the many issues Nigerians experience with vehicles in Nigeria, are transmission issues, but with automatics. This car is a manual, yet is having gear selection issues. When last did you see a thread opened in Car Talk, for a manual transmission fault, even on a 20-year-old heap?

An excerpt from the thread itself:

Direct Link To This Post Taz2014 30 Jul 2014 at 11:11am Quote Taz2014 Quote Post Reply Reply
New Kia Picanto VR7 Nightmare

We’ve just purchased a brand new VR7 last week 15Miles on the clock, after a little driving noticed that it was not possible to engage into 1st gear sometimes. I put it down to perhaps it being a brand new car it may need time to bed in ? although I’ve driven may new cars over the past 20 odd years never had this issue.

So when I called the dealer the following day they asked me to bring it in so, a technical engineer drove the car and also experienced the issue of not been able to engage 1st gear.

Obviously is very frustrating as you can image if you’re at the lights people start horning or you are unable to move off if someone gives you way also ? to me it feels like it’s physically jammed it occurs a couple of times in a short journey to the local supermarket for example you have to mess around stick it into 2nd to eventually be able to select 1st gear.

The car was booked in this week for repair, once I dropped it off I was told the a techy had driven the car found nothing wrong and come back to collect ? I explained to them that’s already been diagnosed with an issue ! they got another techy to look at it so did experience the issue, however they are now saying to me I need to do 1000 miles in the car before they can repair or replace the gearbox.

I personally find this absurd? it could take many more weeks or months being asked to drive around for 1000 miles in a car is not fit for purpose.

Surely if to Kia Engineers are unable to engage 1st gear then there is a major fault with the car and it should be rectified before giving it back to me.

I just wanted other peoples thoughts on how to proceed please many thanks.
Re: Tokunbo Lexus Rx 300 Or Brand New Kia Rio 2014 by chillex8(m): 11:12am On Oct 19, 2014
Eyop:

Apart from the Honda Odyssey having a clear title,there are other factors to be put into consideration like the service history,etc.

The OP's topic is comparing a Used Lexus RX300 vs a Brand new Kia Rio. There's still a "level field" in comparing both. My brother bought a brand new Kia Rio from Dana motors and in less than a year,the engine developed an issue and was worked on. There's no way i will pick a kia rio over a lexus Rx 300. What the OP needs to do is to ensure it's a certified used one and his budget can get him an Rx 330 not even the Rx 300.

And what issue did it develop under a year of usage that was not covered under warranty
Re: Tokunbo Lexus Rx 300 Or Brand New Kia Rio 2014 by emeritus00(m): 11:16am On Oct 19, 2014
Victoriousvic:

It actually depends on the type of 'brand new' this is. From the price, I guess it's a 'Dana brand new'

If true, the lexus would be far better because I can't imagine a brand new car that has no airbags and some other features. undecided
Who told u dt 'Dana brand new' dont av airbags. Rio 2014 has two airbags wit many features u find in latest cars.
Re: Tokunbo Lexus Rx 300 Or Brand New Kia Rio 2014 by Eyop: 11:26am On Oct 19, 2014
chillex8:

And what issue did it develop under a year of usage that was not covered under warranty

The parts replaced wasn't covered under warranty and all effort to make Dana motors pay yielded no result. And for your information,not all areas of the car are covered under warranty.
Re: Tokunbo Lexus Rx 300 Or Brand New Kia Rio 2014 by chillex8(m): 11:36am On Oct 19, 2014
Siena:

When we state Brand New, for the purpose of this thread, let's stick with Kia. Because this is the issue here - Brand New Kia Vs used Lexus. Take a gander at this, assuming it's not too long an epistle, of course:

http://www.kiaownersclub.co.uk/forum/new-kia-picanto-vr7-nightmare_topic20073.html

I could pick up my bluntest spade, and dig deeper, but this will do for starters. One of the many issues Nigerians experience with vehicles in Nigeria, are transmission issues, but with automatics. This car is a manual, yet is having gear selection issues. When last did you see a thread opened in Car Talk, for a manual transmission fault, even on a 20-year-old heap?

An excerpt from the thread itself:

Direct Link To This Post Taz2014 30 Jul 2014 at 11:11am Quote Taz2014 Quote Post Reply Reply
New Kia Picanto VR7 Nightmare

We’ve just purchased a brand new VR7 last week 15Miles on the clock, after a little driving noticed that it was not possible to engage into 1st gear sometimes. I put it down to perhaps it being a brand new car it may need time to bed in ? although I’ve driven may new cars over the past 20 odd years never had this issue.

So when I called the dealer the following day they asked me to bring it in so, a technical engineer drove the car and also experienced the issue of not been able to engage 1st gear.

Obviously is very frustrating as you can image if you’re at the lights people start horning or you are unable to move off if someone gives you way also ? to me it feels like it’s physically jammed it occurs a couple of times in a short journey to the local supermarket for example you have to mess around stick it into 2nd to eventually be able to select 1st gear.

The car was booked in this week for repair, once I dropped it off I was told the a techy had driven the car found nothing wrong and come back to collect ? I explained to them that’s already been diagnosed with an issue ! they got another techy to look at it so did experience the issue, however they are now saying to me I need to do 1000 miles in the car before they can repair or replace the gearbox.

I personally find this absurd? it could take many more weeks or months being asked to drive around for 1000 miles in a car is not fit for purpose.

Surely if to Kia Engineers are unable to engage 1st gear then there is a major fault with the car and it should be rectified before giving it back to me.

I just wanted other peoples thoughts on how to proceed please many thanks.

Members of my family and I will prefer a brand new kia rio over a used lexus rx300...

All I pray for is God's blessings to be able to afford my preference.

NOBODY can convince me otherwise....

P.S. A lady friend acquired a brand new kia picanto in 2009 for 1.8m or so.

Every one around her were like, "why" "picanto of all cars", you could have bought this or that.

3 months ago, my guy acquired a lexus rx330 with 99,000 miles clean title, from Atlanta for 3.2 million. When I drove the car, I was marveled @ the gadgets and all..

Today as I speak, my guy is complaining of black smoke, low mpg, hesitation, suspension ...

That lady's picanto has done less than 29,000 miles, but she has no single complain... Every thing is still as it left dana motors.

Pls let's understand my point..

When you choose to go brand new, there is peace of mind for years..

There are also used vehicles that can be driven without issues for years too,especially the ones with low mileages and clean title.

But nothing beats the fact that YOU are the one that launched a vehicle from show-room, with 000000 - 000100 miles on it, and years of warranty

Those that have made this choice, especially in Nigeria, they testify for good 99% of the time.

3 Likes

Re: Tokunbo Lexus Rx 300 Or Brand New Kia Rio 2014 by chillex8(m): 11:41am On Oct 19, 2014
Eyop:

The parts replaced wasn't covered under warranty and all effort to make Dana motors pay yielded no result. And for your information,not all areas of the car are covered under warranty.

And what particular part was that
That was condemned under 1 year of constant meticulous usage..
Re: Tokunbo Lexus Rx 300 Or Brand New Kia Rio 2014 by Eyop: 11:47am On Oct 19, 2014
chillex8:

And what particular part was that
That was condemned under 1 year of constant meticulous usage..
I will re-confirm from my brother the part that was replaced but i remember him mention bearings and something else. The vehicle had a knocking sound prior to working on it.
Re: Tokunbo Lexus Rx 300 Or Brand New Kia Rio 2014 by Nobody: 11:59am On Oct 19, 2014
One thing that is often overlooked with new vehicles - not all aspects are covered by warranty. Some aspects may be classed as "wear and tear" items. And for a warranty to be upheld, the vehicle has to be serviced in accordance with the manufacturer's recommendations, using genuine parts.

Used vehicles can also have warranty on them - either the remainder of the original warranty, or a purchased one from a dealership, or independent. It ALWAYS pays to read the small print, and see WHAT the warranty would cover in the event of failure. This applies to both new and used.

There have been cases where dealerships have wriggled out of settling a warranty claim, leaving the owner of the vehicle out of pocket. That Kia issue I posted earlier - a brand new car, under warranty, with obvious gearbox issues. YET Kia insist the owner should "drive the car in its current state for 1,000 miles", before they will rectify it.

For those who don't know what's happening there, Kia want this guy to use the car for 1,000 miles with a dodgy gearbox, before they will consider any rectification. When he returns, they will strip the gearbox down, and claim the user has caused damage beyond the gearbox issue. What dealerships class as "Consequential Damage". This is NOT covered by warranty, so who will pay for that? Believe it or not, the owner!
Re: Tokunbo Lexus Rx 300 Or Brand New Kia Rio 2014 by chillex8(m): 12:02pm On Oct 19, 2014
Eyop:

I will re-confirm from my brother the part that was replaced but i remember him mention bearings and something else. The vehicle had a knocking sound prior to working on it.

Also ask your brother what he did to the vehicle before it had a "knocking sound"
Re: Tokunbo Lexus Rx 300 Or Brand New Kia Rio 2014 by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:09pm On Oct 19, 2014
chillex8:

Also ask your brother what he did to the vehicle before it had a "knocking sound"

Most likely using 20W50 oils + STOP oil treatment grin

1 Like

Re: Tokunbo Lexus Rx 300 Or Brand New Kia Rio 2014 by Eyop: 12:15pm On Oct 19, 2014
GAZZUZZ:

grin grin it had nothing to do with Engine oil bro. Oil change was always done by Dana Motors because that was covered under warranty except they used 20W50 that i don't know. And is not as if he was a novice with cars because he owned a Corolla prior to buying the Rio.
Re: Tokunbo Lexus Rx 300 Or Brand New Kia Rio 2014 by chillex8(m): 12:20pm On Oct 19, 2014
GAZZUZZ:

And 300naira oil filter

Only heavens know why he opened his bonnet @ all

And owners manual dey oooo
Re: Tokunbo Lexus Rx 300 Or Brand New Kia Rio 2014 by Nobody: 12:27pm On Oct 19, 2014
chillex8:

And 300naira oil filter

Regardless of warranty, there are reasons why one would raise the hood on a vehicle.

Screen wash level check, and top-up.
Engine oil level check, and top-up as required. A brand new engine uses more lilt than an older, run-in one.
Basic checks before embarking on a road trip - coolant, hydraulic fluid, PAS etc.

Not everything must be left to a dealer, there are checks the end user MUST also carry out, as detailed in the Owner's Manual.
Re: Tokunbo Lexus Rx 300 Or Brand New Kia Rio 2014 by Eyop: 12:34pm On Oct 19, 2014
chillex8:

And 300naira oil filter

He opened from time to time check if all fluids are intact or requires top up. Atleast he didn't do as you stated previously owning vehicles for years and only opened the bonnet once or twice throughout ownership.
Re: Tokunbo Lexus Rx 300 Or Brand New Kia Rio 2014 by chillex8(m): 12:56pm On Oct 19, 2014
Eyop:

He opened from time to time check if all fluids are intact or requires top up. Atleast he didn't do as you stated previously owning vehicles for years and only opened the bonnet once or twice throughout ownership.

Am certain you brother is happy with his choice.

I have no business under the hood of a bought "brand-new" vehicle, be it kia rio or innoson sedan unless wen its due for servicing in accordance with the owner's manual.
Re: Tokunbo Lexus Rx 300 Or Brand New Kia Rio 2014 by Day169: 12:57pm On Oct 19, 2014
I think the the 'Gladiators' here, Siena & Chillex8, should take a chill pill. I'm sure the poster must be confused by now.
As for me I'd choose the '14 Rio over an '03 Lexus, judging from the reputation many 9ja mechos have 4 ruining exquisite cars.
A new car should give a 3year window of relative hassle free use.
My 2kobo.

1 Like

Re: Tokunbo Lexus Rx 300 Or Brand New Kia Rio 2014 by Nobody: 1:05pm On Oct 19, 2014
Day169:
I think the the 'Gladiators' here, Siena & Chillex8, should take a chill pill. I'm sure the poster must be confused by now.
As for me I'd choose the '14 Rio over an '03 Lexus, judging from the reputation many 9ja mechos have 4 ruining exquisite cars.
A new car should give a 3year window of relative hassle free use.
My 2kobo.

Dude, I'm chilled. I am merely expressing my own opinion, which is EXACTLY what you're doing too. That's what Car Talk is all about, unless you know something I don't?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Surprising Things Made By Famous Car Companies From All Over The World / Coscharis Motors, BMW Announce 5-Year Complimentary Service In Nigeria / Shipping A Car To Nigeria - What Every Buyer Should Know.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.