Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,446 members, 7,830,232 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 06:17 PM

Ladies, Would You Consider Marrying Into A Polygamous Family? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Ladies, Would You Consider Marrying Into A Polygamous Family? (10517 Views)

Ladies ; Would You leave Your Husband In A Place Like This (photo) / What Is Wrong To Marry From A Polygamous Family?? / Polygamous Family (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ladies, Would You Consider Marrying Into A Polygamous Family? by Nobody: 7:19pm On Oct 19, 2014
tintingz:
...But you will collect bride price and change you maiden name huh?

What do you want to prove? That i'm property? Okay, here goes. No, i won't, my dad will, it's our culture. No, i'm not changing my maiden name, ever.

5 Likes

Re: Ladies, Would You Consider Marrying Into A Polygamous Family? by Nobody: 7:21pm On Oct 19, 2014
Chiamaka01:

My dad will collect the bride-price because it's our culture. I'm not changing my maiden name, ever.

grin grin grin grin

Sure girl!
Re: Ladies, Would You Consider Marrying Into A Polygamous Family? by tintingz(m): 7:23pm On Oct 19, 2014
Chiamaka01:

My dad will collect the bride-price because it's our culture. I'm not changing my maiden name, ever.
And will your dad give dowry? he's the dealer nao. cheesy

You will not change your maiden name? your man will decide after he paid your bride price. grin

1 Like

Re: Ladies, Would You Consider Marrying Into A Polygamous Family? by tintingz(m): 7:34pm On Oct 19, 2014
Chiamaka01:

What do you want to prove? That i'm property? Okay, here goes. No, i won't, my dad will, it's our culture. No, i'm not changing my maiden name, ever.
Do you know the origin of bride price?
Re: Ladies, Would You Consider Marrying Into A Polygamous Family? by Nobody: 7:38pm On Oct 19, 2014
tintingz:

You will not change your maiden name? your man will decide after he paid your bride price. grin
Hmm, my dad can answer that.
Yes, i won't. My husband can't decide that because i am not a sex slave. He will see reason with me. He's not narrow-minded as the men you surround yourself with.

3 Likes

Re: Ladies, Would You Consider Marrying Into A Polygamous Family? by Nobody: 7:40pm On Oct 19, 2014
tintingz:
Do you know the origin of bride price?

Origin of bride-price? In what culture? Every ethnic group has their own marital custom.
Re: Ladies, Would You Consider Marrying Into A Polygamous Family? by freecocoa(f): 7:41pm On Oct 19, 2014
No thank you, there are plenty of men to go round, why share?

6 Likes

Re: Ladies, Would You Consider Marrying Into A Polygamous Family? by Nobody: 7:41pm On Oct 19, 2014
Chiamaka01:

Yes, i won't. My husband can't decide that because i am not a sex slave. He will see reason with me . He's not narrow-minded as the men you surround yourself with.

I like this
Re: Ladies, Would You Consider Marrying Into A Polygamous Family? by tintingz(m): 7:44pm On Oct 19, 2014
Chiamaka01:

Yes, i won't. My husband can't decide that because i am not a sex slave. He will see reason with me. He's not narrow-minded as the men you surround yourself with.
You mean African men can't decide that? *chuckles*
Re: Ladies, Would You Consider Marrying Into A Polygamous Family? by tintingz(m): 7:47pm On Oct 19, 2014
Chiamaka01:

Origin of bride-price? In what culture? Every ethnic group has their own marital custom.
In your culture(Igbo) do you know the origin of bride price.

Your kinsmen are the best in collecting heavy bride price.
Re: Ladies, Would You Consider Marrying Into A Polygamous Family? by Nobody: 7:56pm On Oct 19, 2014
tintingz:
In your culture(Igbo) do you know the origin of bride price.

Your kinsmen are the best in collecting heavy bride price.

First things first, I'm bini, not igbo. Now, you were saying?

2 Likes

Re: Ladies, Would You Consider Marrying Into A Polygamous Family? by Nobody: 8:00pm On Oct 19, 2014
tintingz:
You mean African men can't decide that? *chuckles*

'African men?' It's the 21st century, dude. Enough with your caveman mentality-induced generalizations. Later, when women say all men are the same, you start barking.

6 Likes

Re: Ladies, Would You Consider Marrying Into A Polygamous Family? by tintingz(m): 8:38pm On Oct 19, 2014
Chiamaka01:

'African men?' It's the 21st century, dude. Enough with your caveman mentality-induced generalizations. Later, when women say all men are the same, you start barking.
save me the 21st century ish, African men will always be African men there is nothing that can change some certain things, this is not about caveman mentality.

To my point, Women in polygamous marriage are not property if you think you are not as well.

I can see you stylishly called them properties.

first of all they were paid bride price like they will pay yours.

Secondly, They were not forced into polygamy marriage.

I will not force my wife to change her maiden name but it is a general believe that when a woman marry she must change her maiden name.

You said that your hubby can't decide about you not changing your maiden name, don't forget that he paid your bride price, you will move in to his house and if you disobey him be ready to move out. This is Africa.

4 Likes

Re: Ladies, Would You Consider Marrying Into A Polygamous Family? by tintingz(m): 8:44pm On Oct 19, 2014
Chiamaka01:

First things first, I'm bini, not igbo. Now, you were saying?
Sorry, I thought chiamaka is Igbo.
Re: Ladies, Would You Consider Marrying Into A Polygamous Family? by Nobody: 8:47pm On Oct 19, 2014
tintingz:
save me the 21st century ish, African men will always be African men there is nothing that can change some certain things, this is not about caveman mentality.

To my point, Women in polygamous marriage are not property if you think you are not as well.

I can see you stylishly called them properties.

first of all they were paid bride price like they will pay yours.

Secondly, They were not forced into polygamy marriage.

I will not force my wife to change her maiden name but it is a general believe that when a woman marry she must change her maiden name.

You said that your hubby can't decide about you not changing your maiden name, don't forget that he paid your bride price, you will move in to his house and if you disobey him be ready to move out . This is Africa.

You make it sound like the lady has no choice but to marry the man.

It may surprise you to know that there are men that would not mind the name change thingy.

3 Likes

Re: Ladies, Would You Consider Marrying Into A Polygamous Family? by macof(m): 10:10pm On Oct 19, 2014
There's nothing wrong with polygamy. All of us West Africans have polygamous background even if it's 3 or 4 generations back
Our mothers were happy with our loving fathers. Oyinbo has come to pollute ur minds

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ladies, Would You Consider Marrying Into A Polygamous Family? by tintingz(m): 10:16pm On Oct 19, 2014
masonkz:

You make it sound like the lady has no choice but to marry the man.
and what if she marry the man.

She's well aware that the man will pay her bride price.

She will move into the man house.

and ofcos he's the head of the house.

if she didn't change her name, her family will question her.

It may surprise you to know that there are men that would not mind the name change thingy.
I'm a man that will never force my wife to change her maiden name, my religion doesn't allow forcing a woman to change her maiden name, infact she must not change her father's name.

My family will not question me and my wife about the name changing, the question to chiamaka01 is will her family and husband family take it from her?
Re: Ladies, Would You Consider Marrying Into A Polygamous Family? by shizzle11(m): 10:20pm On Oct 19, 2014
Thread almost successfully derailed through unnecessary and willful arguement.

Chiamaka01:

Really, interesting......

Please for the sake of clarity, are yo saying you will retain your father's name in addition to your husbands' (as in hyphenated) or you will stick to your fathers name after marriage?

[s]anything is possible with feminist movement/ideology[/s]

3 Likes

Re: Ladies, Would You Consider Marrying Into A Polygamous Family? by shizzle11(m): 10:24pm On Oct 19, 2014
Odilafta:
That lady must be 37 and counting
Not at all.

Have heard a lady on this forum who is not 30 say she'll rather be a 2nd wife to a man as long as he has enough to cater for them both. surprise isnt it?
Re: Ladies, Would You Consider Marrying Into A Polygamous Family? by smartmom(f): 10:29pm On Oct 19, 2014
No I will not. Cannot share a husband finis!

1 Like

Re: Ladies, Would You Consider Marrying Into A Polygamous Family? by kandiikane(m): 10:30pm On Oct 19, 2014
MissMeiya:

Then you were lucky. I've seen terrible fights between wives and their children that last until adulthood. To this day, my father can't trust his siblings enough to let them serve him food. How fĂșcked up is that?

My aunt was held down by the other wife and her children and... And that's just one of the things that I know of. Your case is rare.

I saw the same too in the compound I lived in. The landlord had two wives And the second was an absolute bytch. She caused problems within her family and even with neighbours. Lol, have you seen grown azz women fight, those in their late 40s and early 50s? That compound was always live. There was never a day without someone arguing or fighting.

We were lucky to not experience it in our family. My grandma was initially a first wife to my mother's father then divorced and became a second wife to the one I know as my grandad. When she first got married at a tender age it was never something she wanted but growing up in it, it became a way of life for her hence why she chose to be a second wife. We never lived with the first wife. We hardly even saw her just the kids. If they had lived together I definitely know my grandmother would have been the instigator of the problems. My grandma ended up finding a younger wife for my grandad two years ago after he divorced his first wife and she did so because couldn't be around to be looking after him like a wife would anymore. She wants to live the freedom she never had as a teenager and young adult now.

As for me, I am open to certain things but not polygamy.

2 Likes

Re: Ladies, Would You Consider Marrying Into A Polygamous Family? by tintingz(m): 10:36pm On Oct 19, 2014
macof:
There's nothing wrong with polygamy. All of us West Africans have polygamous background even if it's 3 or 4 generations back
Our mothers were happy with our loving fathers. Oyinbo has come to pollute ur minds
Mintayo oya come and read this post from a non-muslim. grin
Re: Ladies, Would You Consider Marrying Into A Polygamous Family? by Nobody: 11:16pm On Oct 19, 2014
tintingz
post=27282525:

save me the 21st century ish, African men will always be
African men there is nothing that can change some certain things,
This is Africa.

Look, there is no way all African men are the way you stated and if they are, who says i must marry an African?

3 Likes

Re: Ladies, Would You Consider Marrying Into A Polygamous Family? by Nobody: 11:19pm On Oct 19, 2014
[quote
author=tintingz post=27285161]
My family will not question me and my wife about the name changing, the
question to chiamaka01 is will her family and husband family take it
from her?[/quote]

Yes, they will.

2 Likes

Re: Ladies, Would You Consider Marrying Into A Polygamous Family? by Nobody: 11:22pm On Oct 19, 2014
shizzle11
post=27285264:

Please for the sake of clarity, are yo saying you will retain your
father's name in addition to your husbands' (as in hyphenated) or you
will stick to your fathers name after marriage?

[s]anything is possible with feminist movement/ideology[/s]

I'll add my husband's own, it'll be hyphenated. BTW, why is it that any female that refuses to be denigrated is called a feminist, not that there's anything bad in being called one, though?

3 Likes

Re: Ladies, Would You Consider Marrying Into A Polygamous Family? by shizzle11(m): 11:42pm On Oct 19, 2014
Chiamaka01:

I'll add my husband's own, it'll be hyphenated. BTW, why is it that any female that refuses to be denigrated is called a feminist, not that there's anything bad in being called one, though?
Just discovered you started this thread, saw it earlier but didn't click on it till minutes ago, having gone through some pages i understand what you mean now https://www.nairaland.com/1950259/ladies-hyphenating-surnames-husbands/7

How does changing your fathers name for your husbands' equate to denigration? So if a man says he wants his wife to take up his name only as her husband that means denigration?.

Equality as is being sought be feminist comes in different shades and this is one of them. You said it yourself that you don't believe there's a senior partner in marriage and by description, thats what feminism seeks to achieve-equality. You probably have been a feminist without knowing it. ......

.... well, you may as well chose to be a feminist, nothing wrong with it, good luck with that

2 Likes

Re: Ladies, Would You Consider Marrying Into A Polygamous Family? by Nobody: 12:01am On Oct 20, 2014
shizzle11
post=27286901:

How does changing your fathers name for your husbands' equate to
denigration? So if a man says if he wants his wife to take up his name
only as her husband that means denigration.
.... well, you may as well chose to be a feminist, nothing wrong with
it, good luck with that

tintingz made some comments which were 'denigrating'. I hope that's cleared, now.

1 Like

Re: Ladies, Would You Consider Marrying Into A Polygamous Family? by shizzle11(m): 12:06am On Oct 20, 2014
Chiamaka01:

tintingz made some comments which were 'denigrating'. I hope that's cleared, now.
ok then if you say so....was wondering if it had to do with my comment undecided
Re: Ladies, Would You Consider Marrying Into A Polygamous Family? by tintingz(m): 5:32am On Oct 20, 2014
Chiamaka01:

How is my comment denigrating? undecided

Aren't you the one that stylishly called women in polygamous marriage "properties"?

Chiamaka01:

Look, there is no way all African men are the way you stated and if they are, who says i must marry an African?
Lol, you think it is only about African men? no it doesn't end there, there is a lot about African society.

And ofcos you can marry any man from other continent. smiley
Re: Ladies, Would You Consider Marrying Into A Polygamous Family? by estheremma(f): 5:54am On Oct 20, 2014
Odilafta:
That lady must be 37 and counting
definitely if not above 40 n desperate.my colleague here who is about that age says d same thing,she insists that if d man is rich n can take care of her,she won't mind,imagine!TUFIAKWA!
Re: Ladies, Would You Consider Marrying Into A Polygamous Family? by Nobody: 8:54am On Oct 20, 2014
[quote
author=tintingz post=27288809] How is my comment denigrating? undecided

Aren't you the one that stylishly called women in polygamous marriage
"properties"?
[/quote]

You stylishly told me that since a woman's kinsmen would be paid the
bride-price, her husband will impose his will on her. That the woman has no say since she is being 'sold' from her dad to her hubby.

1 Like

Re: Ladies, Would You Consider Marrying Into A Polygamous Family? by Nobody: 8:57am On Oct 20, 2014
tintingz:

Dealer? Like seriously? You don't see anything denigrating in this comment?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Why Do Men Always Take Advantage Of Women / What's Your Name On Your Husband's Phone And What Did You Use To Save His Number / Opinion Poll: Cooking In A Host's House

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.