Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,998 members, 7,838,512 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 01:12 AM

Obedience and church work! - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Obedience and church work! (6469 Views)

Poll: If they are in conflict, which one should I obey?

My pastor: 3% (2 votes)
My parents: 96% (59 votes)
This poll has ended

Obedience Is Better Than Sacrifice / Nigerian Fake Pastors And Church Business Exposed / Fake Pastors And Church Business Exposed In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Obedience and church work! by angelina08(f): 9:01am On Nov 24, 2008
Well this is not porsible, Our pastors tearches us not to disobey or disregard our parents, so in that way, we have to obey our parents and elders including our Pastors as well.

Thanks.
Re: Obedience and church work! by ugo2u(m): 9:28am On Nov 24, 2008
You have to decide for yourself wether you are doing what you do for God or for the pastor.
If what he asks you is for another group in the church to take care of then politely turn it down.
God wont reward you for either grudgingly doing a task or going against his will.
I guess the best things is to study the word of God on that perspective.
And about him having Jesus in him, well Jesus didnt give himself only to the pastor but to everyone who believes in him and that includes you.
Take care and may God keep you under his wings and Love.
Re: Obedience and church work! by Lizt(f): 11:21am On Nov 24, 2008
since i have been walking with God I came to understand Him as one who never takes advantage of His children He never forces a man to do things E.G when He told the children of Isreal I place before you Life and Death He said to them Choose life that he may live my point here is God wants us to work for Him but He never take advantage of us, though you never told us what your pastor asked you to do but from the way you sound it looks like your pastor is taking advantage of you am not saying you should not work for your pastor but not at the expense of your own life anyway the best advice i can give you is to ask God for His wisdom and directions he can teach and tell you what to do in situation like this and never forget salvation is personal your pastor is a man of God place in position to prepare you for God's use not to take advantage of you, Never forget give yourself to God and His Holy spirit which is inside of you and you will never offend God. less i forget a Christian is not a sinner.
Re: Obedience and church work! by bebure(m): 1:19pm On Nov 24, 2008
My advice to you is to leave redeemed and join a nice place like the church of england if you're an anglican or a catholic church or methodist or wuteva else. I have friends who were in your situation and it cost them to fail a year of uni because of being too involved in the church.

I would normally say you should do things only when you can, but as someone who attended a service similar to redeemed as well as redeemed itself here in the UK I know how judgmental some of those folks can be so just kuku leave the church and go to a civil church where the hours are reasonable and you are not forced to volunteer or give offering (these guys sometimes ask for your account details if you dont have cash on you).
Re: Obedience and church work! by Monsuratao(f): 2:00pm On Nov 24, 2008
The Bible says obey your Parents in the Lord, for this is right and the only commandment with a promise. But in this case if your Pastor takes more of your time thereby inconveniencing you you just have to leave him but do not speak evil against Him so that you don't face the wrath of God.
Re: Obedience and church work! by chummybro(f): 3:29pm On Nov 24, 2008
@ Poster,

From what I read in your post, you are not happy with RCCG. otherwise, why will you be stressing on the church to the extend of saying "that the person that said that RCCG is taught to obey their leaders" is the only person that understands you?
Nobody is forcing you to do all these. I suppose you are an adult and should take responsibility of your actions. I suppose you did your Membership class and you understood the way things work. I suppose you have Elders in the church that you can approach other than paint RCCG black, what impression are you creating? Do you think that God will be happy with you? You said you are a born-again, but how come do you seek counsel from unbelievers?
Pls go and meet your Elders, Deacons or Good Women or even Excellent men and confide in just one person. RCCG is not a personal church that belongs to your pastor and as such, he is still subject to correction when he errs.
But pls be aware of what you are doing and the impact you are creating.
May God help you as you sort these thngs out so that you won't end up provoking God.
Re: Obedience and church work! by nomanicole(f): 5:02pm On Nov 24, 2008
please dont ever let your pastor dictate to you unneccesarily,if its not in your heart to do whatever,dont. cos God sees the works we do from our heart, i mean whole heartedly not forced.
Re: Obedience and church work! by folkzy(f): 11:28pm On Nov 24, 2008
@ Chummy-bro. I never mentioned that all R.C.C.G were like that and I believe it is unacceptable of you to write that I'm taking advise from unbelievers. As a matter of fact, during one of our workers rally/training, we were told not to question authority at all and we must obey authority. So, Kunleoshob was right. If u read my posts very well.
Re: Obedience and church work! by English1(f): 12:59am On Nov 25, 2008
There are so many branches of RCCG. Can't you find another one where the pastor values and encourages education, instead of this one who wants a congregation full of academic failures?

A good pastor would value your talents.

I know many RCCG pastors through my work. 99% of them are wonderful people. 1% of them behave dreadfully. It seems you have found one of those.
Re: Obedience and church work! by LUJIJY: 11:56am On Nov 25, 2008
hi funk, the Bible say we should always respect our parents.so, any so called man of God dat mnakes u go against God's law should be ignored . obey ur parents bros shocked[color=#990000][/color]
Re: Obedience and church work! by ikvicolo: 2:14pm On Nov 25, 2008
[b][/b][color=#000099][/color]
It is absolutely wrong to disobey your parents and go ahead to answer your pastor. This is because your pastor can not make you go agaist the Ten commandment which stated it clearly that we shall honor our father and mother so that our days will be long and also enjoy the blesses of the lord.And also we should remember that our pastors are parents as well, if there children disobey them how will they feel.

There is an exception to the question on the ground that your parents is telling you not to serve the lord,but if there is nothing of that nature, i don't see any reason why a child will disobey his or her parent.
Re: Obedience and church work! by Makavelis(m): 3:26pm On Nov 25, 2008
guy abeg i no send my pastor at all at all grin grin grin
Re: Obedience and church work! by Makavelis(m): 3:32pm On Nov 25, 2008
i no send my pastor at all at all grin grin
Re: Obedience and church work! by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:36pm On Nov 26, 2008
@funkilicious,

A lot of brilliant answers have been given from Image123, A_K_O, Akolawole, Boondoggle to mention a few and lessons can be learnt from experiences such as those of Sholeyb and mafolayomi amongst others, but my curiousity still borders on what you mean by the term "boyfriend" If it means what we generally know as the "sin partner" then I will say that your priority is to first get your relationship right with God before you begin to think of serving God or pastor.

The Bible says "obedience is better than sacrifice" it also says in the book of proverbs that "The sacrifice of the wicked is an abomination to the Lord; but the prayer of the upright is His delight" again it says "The sacrifice of the wicked is abomination: how much more when he bringeth it with a wicked mind? We can see from the above verses of the Bible that God needs us to give our hearts and minds first to Him as a sacrifice before we give our service or substance. Most pastors will rather take the services and substances without making sure that their congregation are born again and in a loving, living relationship with the Lord. Such pastors are what Jesus called "hirelings"

If you know that you are connected to the vine and pleasing the Lord then I will advise you to improve your time management and be assertive in keeping to it. Organise your time by having a time table and stick to it. Let the pastor know your schedule and if he is truly a shepherd at heart he will not abuse the privilege.
Re: Obedience and church work! by tsmith(f): 6:33pm On Nov 26, 2008
Sorry mate, my church (rccg cardiff) is abt the same. Its funny when ppl try and use judgemental preaching to get you to do things. I mean we aint in nigeria for God's sake. Preaching such as God cleaning u for cleaning God's house is nothing but bull crap! The reality is none of that works, u pay ur tithes u dont pay ur rent or bill, u'd get ejected/ u'd get debt collectorsa letters, its the reality that works here.

Dont get sucked in by such ppl, ur pastor inclusive, its all psychology and brainwashing. I'v had my fair share of such. My advice to you is to either pointblank tell him off or u leave the church to a mixed, ie white/black church. They are more realistic and u actually enjoy worshipping God. Wat nigerian churches do is make u hate going to church, grumble and whine & all ds just draws u further away from God. Should u join another black church, dont get involved as a worker. there are several other ways of working in God's vineyard (which is our mission as Xtains). U can do charity work, preach to ppl just even smiling and helping out outside the church. U can make donations etc.

The moment u get involved in church work( black churches now), the more exposed you get to their flaws and greed and when u try to question it, u get labeled and thats d beggining of ur spiritual down spiral.

All the best, I could give u a call of encouragement or just be a listening ear if u care!

1 Like

Re: Obedience and church work! by duduspace(m): 2:41am On Nov 27, 2008
This is yet another example of the distortions in the christian doctrine as practiced in our churches. This belief that your pastor is the voice of God who must not be questioned is bollocks, the pastor is a human being just like yourself who might not always be speaking the voice of God. It is a stupid but well hammered belief that has caused all sorts of absurdities ranging from pastors impregnating and aborting babies for female members of the congregation to ordering church members to beat and kill other people a la Dr. King.

Having said this, you and your boyfriend need to look inwards as my belief is that no one is responsible for your woes but yourself either by your actions or inaction. Your boyfriend should not blame the pastor for his academic issues because he chose to hand over the direction of his life and actions to the pastor by himself which was a conscious decision on his part.

It is also my belief that if a person has planned how he wants to live his/her life with God then no one can intrude to cause distruptions in such a life so your Guy has to sit down and determine in what direction he wants his life to proceed. I'm sure there are a lot of so called "Sunday, Sunday" christians in your church and no matter what your pastor or anyone says to deride them, I can assure you that some of them are truer examples of christianity and will enter the kingdom of God before the pastor himself because God examines the heart and not all this charismatic razz-matazz we've all grown accustomed to seeing.
Re: Obedience and church work! by folkzy(f): 9:43am On Nov 27, 2008
@Olaadegbu, Sorry to let u know, my boyfriend is not my sin partner, we are not engaged yet but we are courting, so there is no other term to call him. We are both child of God, we know the right way to live according to the WORD. So, using the term boyfriend does not mean we sin together or we are sin partners. It's a bit wrong of you to make that judgement.
And I have decided to continue to go to church because I don't believe in changing church anyhow. And I've prayed to God about it. I will stay in my ministry which is the children's department . When church finishes, Go home because staying to hang around in the main church sometimes mean/tell people that I'm free and available. Most people don't know that in a Nigerian Church, Nigerian cultures go with it, therefore, I will not speak to pastor about it because he will think I'm disrespectful, however, I will continue to pray for him for God to open his eyes and see everything. 

I've learnt some tangible contribution from most people. Thank u guys,  God bless xx
Re: Obedience and church work! by folkzy(f): 10:21am On Nov 27, 2008
OLAADEGBU:

@funkilicious,

The Bible says "obedience is better than sacrifice" it also says in the book of proverbs that "The sacrifice of the wicked is an abomination to the Lord; but the prayer of the upright is His delight" again it says "The sacrifice of the wicked is abomination: how much more when he bringeth it with a wicked mind? We can see from the above verses of the Bible that God needs us to give our hearts and minds first to Him as a sacrifice before we give our service or substance. Most pastors will rather take the services and substances without making sure that their congregation are born again and in a loving, living relationship with the Lord. Such pastors are what Jesus called "hirelings"

Good explanation and it's the truth eventhough some people might not want to agree
Re: Obedience and church work! by labiola20(m): 1:20pm On Nov 27, 2008
@funkilicious
well is quite unfortunate that the same redeem church i worship in niaja is the same you worship in london, i beleive you need to obey your parents and also obey your pastor, your pastor is not your God, my pastor in nigeria we tell you as a student that you skool is your primary responsililty, your parents sent you to skool to go and study not to do a slavery job for a pastor, as a child of god confrontation is not the best but take your stand on something and make sure you read and pass your exams. we all have a way we can serve God not necessary siiting down in the church frying puff puff, they must not even here in headquarter that a redeem pastor is doing that.
Re: Obedience and church work! by realcele: 1:24pm On Nov 27, 2008
It is not good to disregard anybody be it yourself, parent or pastor but bear in mind that there is nothing like God's work. Most of the things done in church is for the benefits of people not God. You need to learn time managment and avoid people that steal on your time. Even if you study the bible it talks more about time and season, so time and plan everything. You can leave your school work and go to church, God will not send legions of angels to do it but if you learn to manage your time well God can bless little of your commitment either to your chuch or personal life. Look before you leap is the one for religion, it is a great mobilization stream. Best of luck but be wise.
Re: Obedience and church work! by babadee(m): 8:54pm On Nov 30, 2008
@ poster
your pastor sounds like a fraud,
Re: Obedience and church work! by Dewaxyyy: 3:00pm On Dec 09, 2008
angry
The problem with people like you is that you let small minded people brainwash and further intimidate you. Then you end up a failure and forget your plans and goals for life. Do you think that God doesnt know what is good for his subjects. Any monkey now- a- days calls his or herself a pastor.
Follow them,give them all your money and your time, they go home to live a life of luxury and Mugu, like you will keep on saying God dey!!!!!!!!!.yes! God dey at what cost?
It says in the bible that God is everywhere, why can't you pray for yourself and go to church to give thanks quietly.Are you worshipping the so called greedy thieving pastor or God? You Need to ask yourself what exactly is it you want to achieve from this venture? The problem with the likes of you is that you are all looking for praise and for people to say how dedicated you are. Carry on but always remember "Time waits for no one" and for your information that includes U GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!
Sorry if i come across as abusive that is not the intention but you come across as ignorant and your pastor is more ignorant but brillant as a fraud with enough deciples that have fallen off the wagon of wisdom and progress.
Re: Obedience and church work! by olawonder(m): 6:00am On Dec 13, 2008
The irresponsible attitudes of fraud, laziness and ignorance amongst young people in Nigeria today, in my own opinion, started in the late 90s when pastors took over everywhere in Nigeria, especially the South West. Anyone would agree with me that the job became the easiest way to make money without any (religious) qualifications, and live on the money under the name of God! They pronounce themselves as 'bishops' even though there has to be an echelon for the position, they impose tights on people with little or no income and they tell you to devote all your time for church services (wage free) while they send their own families abroad on holiday. The most unforgiven act of theirs is preaching wealth into the brains of people - parading the highest contributor (financially) at the front line of the church in comfy cushion seats - causing people to look for money by any means. Its absolutely ridiculous! Its just like what the 'fuji' musicians do to people's mindset. Thank God am not a christian but I think people need to really think about this and settle the difference, once and for all, between them, these pastors and God.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Why Do Pastors Avoid Using The Names (YAHWEH And YESHUA) / Mary The Mother Of Jesus Had No Other Children. A Biblical Perspective / Look Up To God...not Man!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.