Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,833 members, 7,810,203 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:37 PM

Nigerians Living The Dream Life Abroad - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerians Living The Dream Life Abroad (20156 Views)

Many Nigerians Living In Nigeria Hate Nigerians In Diaspora, Jealous Much? / Attention: Nigerians Living And Working In UAE (dubai) / Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians Living The Dream Life Abroad by jacq(f): 9:01pm On Aug 04, 2006
I will like to ask those of you in the UK/US because that is were most Nigerians want to go .

A friend of mine told me that most Nigerians in these countries are living the dream life of every Nigerian person:
People driving the lastest cars, living in the best houses, people making it in life over there (whatever that means).

So are all these really true? Please don't shoot the messenger grin
Re: Nigerians Living The Dream Life Abroad by Hotstepper(f): 9:20pm On Aug 04, 2006
sum people are who gat their things going for while others ain't, itz a place where if you wanna be successful, u can and if u don't wanna be, u can equally not be, itz an option
Re: Nigerians Living The Dream Life Abroad by babaibadan(m): 9:23pm On Aug 04, 2006
Wo ore mi ma je kin tan e (my friend dont let me deceive you). Merica is not all what they say it is;dont get me wrong America is a sweet place o but its not paradise like they say it is. A lot of nigerians also live lowlife here enuff gari. It doesnt really matter where u are , alot of pple are living better in nigeria than some people in the states(even though i still prefer life in the US to naija LOL) So it depends on how u manage your life and finances. A lot of Nigerians do more than they can handle here anyway. Den go dey pose but if u check dem pocket na govt loanplenty there.
Re: Nigerians Living The Dream Life Abroad by OldGlory1(m): 11:03pm On Aug 04, 2006
I have a nice home, I drive a 2005 gas guzzling SUV, I have a good Job, I guess i am living the dream. Wake me up if i am really dreaming.
Re: Nigerians Living The Dream Life Abroad by clocky(m): 11:50pm On Aug 04, 2006
abeg d dream is just a fuckng mirage. Comparing i'll say its better living in nigeria if u have a very good paying job because u will be able to afford a lot of thigs and there would be no loans and bills n all dat stuff which is killin person for this damn place
Re: Nigerians Living The Dream Life Abroad by babaibadan(m): 1:23am On Aug 05, 2006
Old Glory:

I have a nice home, I drive a 2005 gas guzzling SUV, I have a good Job, I guess i am living the dream. Wake me up if i am really dreaming.
Congratulations for all your achievements which includes letting us know u are a good liar. SUV my foot. So when are u planning to pay back the loan (just jokin)
Re: Nigerians Living The Dream Life Abroad by iice(f): 8:04am On Aug 05, 2006
Hmmmmm i guess US/UK are the only places 2 live ur dream undecided
Re: Nigerians Living The Dream Life Abroad by OldGlory1(m): 1:21pm On Aug 05, 2006
BabaIbadan

Not everyone pays loan! I work in the auto Industry, it is easy for me to change a vehicle every 90days if i choose to. No my 2005 Chevy Trail Blazer, is Paid for. No lien on the title. CLEAR FCUKEN TITLE!! ATL Niggas, straight up haters!!!!
Re: Nigerians Living The Dream Life Abroad by babaibadan(m): 6:07pm On Aug 05, 2006
Old Glory:

BabaIbadan

Not everyone pays loan! I work in the auto Industry, it is easy for me to change a vehicle every 90days if i choose to. No my 2005 Chevy Trail Blazer, is Paid for. No lien on the title. CLEAR FCUKEN TITLE!! ATL Niggas, straight up haters!!!!
My brother i no dey hate on you but it would have been good if u also included those times when u cleaned toilets,worked as a parking lot attendant and also worked as "walk around character" in chuck E. cheese.
Re: Nigerians Living The Dream Life Abroad by babaibadan(m): 6:10pm On Aug 05, 2006
@
old glory

Re: Nigerians Living The Dream Life Abroad by OldGlory1(m): 6:15pm On Aug 05, 2006
Lolololol @ BabaIbadan

I pay Emma Cruz to clean my house, thankfully i did not have to do any of those menial jobs. I was never an Illegal immigrant. Are you trying to tell us something in your biography? Like i said Southern Niggers always hating on everything and everybody.
Re: Nigerians Living The Dream Life Abroad by babaibadan(m): 6:19pm On Aug 05, 2006
Old Glory:

Lolololol @ BabaIbadan

I pay Emma Cruz to clean my house, thankfully i did not have to do any of those menial jobs. I was never an Illegal immigrant. Are you trying to tell us something in your biography? Like i said Southern Niggers always hating on everything and everybody.
Guess u want to no more about me? i wont tell u my status but am also a lucky guy who doesnt forget the gloomy days.
Re: Nigerians Living The Dream Life Abroad by OldGlory1(m): 6:26pm On Aug 05, 2006
Babaibadan

Gloomy days is a thing of the mind. You call it gloomy, i see the cup half full. I can only live my life, i do not care to know $hit about you. Go and tell someone that cares in Buckhead or college park or maybe even in Duluth. I really do not give a rat's ass what or who you are. You know how we do right?You Do you, and i will do me.
Re: Nigerians Living The Dream Life Abroad by babaibadan(m): 8:57pm On Aug 05, 2006
Old Glory:

Babaibadan

Gloomy days is a thing of the mind. You call it gloomy, i see the cup half full. I can only live my life, i do not care to know $hit about you. Go and tell someone that cares in Buckhead or college park or maybe even in Duluth. I really do not give a rat's ass what or who you are. You know how we do right?You Do you, and i will do me.
thanks for letting me know u sabi GA well, glory be to God. Big mouth. Do u know anything about salvage cars? buying them repairing and selling them. And who told you am from ATL? i only live there, i am a true son of Ibadan land.A sojourner in a foreign land. Just kidding man, i can imagine your burning head while u were typing all that man u sound so furious. LOL theres nothing personal man
Re: Nigerians Living The Dream Life Abroad by OldGlory1(m): 9:00pm On Aug 05, 2006
BabaIbadan

Check me out in the Auto Section. I am mad knowledgable about cars. But i will let this one go. As a typical Ibadan man, you seem to be chasing your tail. Good Luck @ Life!
Re: Nigerians Living The Dream Life Abroad by Bhola(f): 9:48pm On Aug 05, 2006
Yeah, it is very possible to live the dream life here. Most people are just greedy. Most people want to impress the wrong people. Nigerians are known oppressors. Why we think we should impress or oppress the other man, is what I don't know.

Most people work menial jobs, when they initially get here. If they are lucky to stay with the right people, they are shown the ropes - go to school, get a degree- and they can get a good job.

On a personal note, I got here, worked full time, 40hrs in Wal-Mart, while I was working on my degree in Chemical Engineering. Now, I am done, I work with the number uno private company in America. Do I live the dream life, you betcha. But, I don't need to come here and start stating what and what I have or don't have. I have a girl that we started work the same time in the store, and she is still there. Not to be boastful, I probably make more than five times what she makes now, but she refuses to go to school. See, to live the dream is not that hard. Just be hardworking and pray you meet the right people when you get here initally.

Some peeps have been here since forever, but they're still doing menial jobs. One, they might not have the right papers or they are just lazy.

My advice to the average Nigerian trying to come here, if you don't have a way of getting your authorization to work and all, please, kindly stay in Nigeria. Nothing worse than working a dead end job and your kids are your boss.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Living The Dream Life Abroad by babaibadan(m): 9:54pm On Aug 05, 2006
Bolatito(am i rite?) You have said it all,oh i see why you studied chemical eng. You've got brains. thot you would also list the new toothbrush u just bought like our man from hmm hmm, Continue living the dream gurl,kudos to you.
Re: Nigerians Living The Dream Life Abroad by OldGlory1(m): 10:00pm On Aug 05, 2006
I think if you have papers to work, life is pretty much what you make it. Menial Jobs will just pay the bills, but i think many people here are illegal and therefore have to struggle. The system limits you from progressing without the right documentation. I have a friend who just got a job paying him $65k a year an IT Engineer with a recording label, the job required him to be on set and do a lot of travel, he was using someone's papers to work. There was work in Jamaica and he had to quit, because he could not travel. He is back now working at Pepsi for $12.50 per Hour. Still with his friend's papers. He has all the talent, but is limited because of work permit/Green Card.
Re: Nigerians Living The Dream Life Abroad by zebudaya(m): 10:04pm On Aug 05, 2006
65K a year and he couldn't find a way to get legal? plain dumb or unfortunate.
Re: Nigerians Living The Dream Life Abroad by Bhola(f): 10:05pm On Aug 05, 2006
True talk, Old Glory and that is why I warn Nigerians about coming here. Life is quite easy when you got the paper to work. Hopefully, this bill they've been trying to pass since forever, will go true. At least, give some peeps the paper they need. Some people are stuck here. They can't go anywhere. It is just sad.

Zeb, dumb? What do you want him to do?
Re: Nigerians Living The Dream Life Abroad by babaibadan(m): 10:05pm On Aug 05, 2006
Old Glory:

I think if you have papers to work, life is pretty much what you make it. Menial Jobs will just pay the bills, but i think many people here are illegal and therefore have to struggle. The system limits you from progressing without the right documentation. I have a friend who just got a job paying him $65k a year an IT Engineer with a recording label, the job required him to be on set and do a lot of travel, he was using someone's papers to work. There was work in Jamaica and he had to quit, because he could not travel. He is back now working at Pepsi for $12.50 per Hour. Still with his friend's papers. He has all the talent, but is limited because of work permit/Green Card.
Ehn Ehn you are now talking. Encourage our people back home to have their papers rite b4 coming over here. And that not all that glitters is gold. Many of them think money is poured on the streets here and when u just land u pick up money like that. You need to see how some of them ask for dollars as if say na u dey print am.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Living The Dream Life Abroad by zebudaya(m): 10:08pm On Aug 05, 2006
He's already using "somebody elses papers" those are rugged runs why not go one step further and outwit the system and then stay . If you don't have papers you don't take high profile jobs like that, you take jobs like the pepsi job, and then work on getting your papers anyway possible!
Re: Nigerians Living The Dream Life Abroad by luvlymoi(f): 10:49pm On Aug 05, 2006
well america for me is the dream life cos am still the child while my parents pay the bills. i knw some pple suffer wen they come to america but it depends on if u wer prepared becos if u come to america and think its that ur nigerian education u r goin to use to work here, ur just foolin urself. well sha the only thing that bothers me is the boringness of this country. the USA is borin but can be excitin at times tho. sha nigerians wishin they lived in the us pls think again and again life is good here if u have money but theres suffer head eso wen u dont have SSN. God bless u'all.
Re: Nigerians Living The Dream Life Abroad by babaibadan(m): 10:56pm On Aug 05, 2006
luvlymoi:

well america for me is the dream life because am still the child while my parents pay the bills. i knw some people suffer when they come to america but it depends on if u wer prepared because if u come to america and think its that your nigerian education you're goin to use to work here, your just foolin yourself. well sha the only thing that bothers me is the boringness of this country. the USA is borin but can be excitin at times tho. sha nigerians wishin they lived in the us please think again and again life is good here if u have money but theres suffer head eso when u don't have SSN. God bless u'all.
yeah but your story mite change when u start paying bills
Re: Nigerians Living The Dream Life Abroad by PTBNaija(f): 11:27pm On Aug 05, 2006
My $0.02 is that the US isn't all that it's cracked up to be. Many Nigerians that come here come as the only one in their family. And honestly you can't be happy without family. You can have all the money in the world, but you can still be incredibly lonely.

The thing I wish to see is that Nigerians stop always looking outside to some other place as where they can achieve the dream. If you want to go somewhere else and try and make money and come back, that's one thing. There are so many well educated Nigerians in the US and England, and if they bring that same knowledge back to Nigeria, well I shouldn't have to elaborate.

I was born here, have lived my life here. It wasn't until I recently went back to Nigeria with my family that I noticed just how lonely I was here in the US. I don't have cousins or anyone here, and yeah, friends can only do and be so much. But I love it in Nigeria and I just might move there when I'm done with my schooling.

But don't get me wrong, the US is nice, but personally for me, I've come to realize that it's just not my piece of cake. But it's all relative, someonw else could feel completely different.
Re: Nigerians Living The Dream Life Abroad by luvlymoi(f): 11:56pm On Aug 05, 2006
babaibadan:

yeah but your story mite change when u start paying bills
well i knw my story wont change sha. to start wit am not even goin to live in the united states wen am done wit all the medical school i have to do. i wont live in nigeria either. prolly netherlands. grin
Re: Nigerians Living The Dream Life Abroad by babaibadan(m): 11:59pm On Aug 05, 2006
luvlymoi:

well i knw my story wont change sha. to start wit am not even goin to live in the united states when am done wit all the medical school i have to do. i wont live in nigeria either. prolly netherlands. grin
hmm so u gat sum1 in the netherlands abi?, let nigeria profit something out of you now. dont be a B%$^$^$ just kidding
Re: Nigerians Living The Dream Life Abroad by babaibadan(m): 12:01am On Aug 06, 2006
@PTBnaija
i feel you my sister,theres nothing like being with your family. I sometimes wonder if only i could transfer my whole family
Re: Nigerians Living The Dream Life Abroad by luvlymoi(f): 12:07am On Aug 06, 2006
babaibadan:

hmm so u gat someone in the netherlands abi?, let nigeria profit something out of you now. don't be a B%$^$^$ just kidding
dont get me wrong. if theres anybody that loves nigeria, its me! i miss that place sooo very much. like i said i am gonna study medcine and of course i d have many hospitals there. u knw i have many dreams for that country and i pray to God that i ll be able to fufil them.
Re: Nigerians Living The Dream Life Abroad by babaibadan(m): 12:26am On Aug 06, 2006
Amen to that .
Re: Nigerians Living The Dream Life Abroad by PTBNaija(f): 12:31am On Aug 06, 2006
And amen some more.

I want to do that too! smiley
Re: Nigerians Living The Dream Life Abroad by babaibadan(m): 12:35am On Aug 06, 2006
how was your trip to nigeria?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Okada Rider And Passenger Crushed To Death By Truck In Ibadan. Photos / NRC Employees Lured Us To Board Train Without Tickets - Daramola Adenike / Lagos Mechanic’s Car Crushes Mother, Two Children In Ajamgbadi Area

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.