Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,673 members, 7,813,243 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:21 AM

Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. (35777 Views)

Should I Give My Unfaithful Tenant An Eviction Notice? / Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force / Become A Landlord Today And Cease From Being A Tenant With Just N34,000!!!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. by Jeffy1206(m): 6:43am On Nov 01, 2014
coded01:
Now its tenant that has the power! shocked grin --- "3 years on top person house" shocked angry

So if a tenant breaks his or her contract, "na to dey sit down look", Abi! angry

Nigeria sha with its irregularities... tongue
ignorant is a disease and ignorant of the law is a menace angry what is irregular here now The Law simply frown at self help, besides this act amount to jungle justice...
Re: Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. by anitank(f): 6:45am On Nov 01, 2014
cole265:
May God give us patience in all things. Anger and frustrations can drive you crazy and blind you from following lawful means at times. This landlady must have been seriously frustrated to have taken this extreme option. Very many other means she could have adopted.

That tenants is obviously a trouble maker. Landlady, take ur judgement with pride at least u have learnt something.
Don't mind all these people who are quick to judge. And while I don't condone harsh treatments from Landlords, some tenants are simply wicked!! One of my mum's tenants is owing rent for more than 2years now. She has neither refused to pay nor leave, even when my mum asked her to forget the rent she's owing and move out. This is just one of them. And my mum is the type that has too much sympathy on people. She ends up pleading for them each time we want to take it up

Now tell me how many people here can tolerate such tenants

2 Likes

Re: Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. by 83lagosroad(m): 6:46am On Nov 01, 2014
coded01:
Now its tenant that has the power! shocked grin --- "3 years on top person house" shocked angry

So if a tenant breaks his or her contract, "na to dey sit down look", Abi! angry

african magic things
Re: Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. by Jeffy1206(m): 6:46am On Nov 01, 2014
How I wish such tenants exist in BSU where students are treated as rags sad Landlords be both police and thugs here. Any lipsrsealed you are gone. I weep for my people cry
Re: Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. by HARDDON: 6:47am On Nov 01, 2014
Chidexter:
lool the landlord funny o, he used his money to employ those who removed the sheets, or did he do it by himself. there are many lawful ways to eject a tenant other than this.

Kindly list them plz cos right now, I'm thinking of doing worse: court not in session until march next year, n they can't keep living for 7months n no rent

N they r d most foul mouth I've come across! Something must give!
Re: Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. by anibi9674: 6:48am On Nov 01, 2014
lonelydora:
Please we need that judge in Port Harcourt. So that we know if the rent will come down a bit.
abeg ph houses r not expensive jor
Re: Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. by Englishteacher: 6:50am On Nov 01, 2014
eleojo23:
The tenant may be at fault but it's not right to remove the roofing sheets and cause him such extent of damage.

The landlord caused him damages worth 300,000 and ends up being given an OPTIONAL fine of 50,000? I don't get it.

Apparently no one has seen the option of a paltry 50k fine, even after the damaged to property worth 6times the fine.
It's a miscarriage of justice.

These kind of situation causes strife and distrust in our judicial system.

Too bad!
Re: Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. by Jeffy1206(m): 6:50am On Nov 01, 2014
anitank:

Don't mind all these people who are quick to judge. And while I don't condone harsh treatments from Landlords, some tenants are simply wicked!! One of my mum's tenants owing rent for 2years plus now. She has neither refused to pay nor leave,even when my mum asked her to forget the rent she's owing and move out. This is just one of them. And my mum is the type that has too much sympathy on people

Here yourself! My friend sorry to say if your mom is ignorant of the simple way to eject him you should find out tthe proper way out rather saying this kind tr*s here undecided

1 Like

Re: Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. by anitank(f): 6:55am On Nov 01, 2014
Jeffy1206:
Here yourself! My friend sorry to say if your mom is ignorant of the simple way to eject him you should find out tthe proper way out rather saying this kind tr*s here undecided
I'm saying tra**sh??! Someone like u will live in another person's house for years without thinking of building ur own simply because u feel u have more rights as a tenant. I'm truly sorry for u

2 Likes

Re: Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. by to9ine: 6:57am On Nov 01, 2014
InvertedHammer:

/

Where is the justice?

N300K damages vs. N50k fine (in lieu of 3 years jail term).

SMH

\

I thought I was d only person dt saw this, after reading many positive. comments ... any one DT sees justice here, is either sick or too dull to understand.. where is the justice ?? 300 k damages, sentence: 50k OR
!! utter madness... no justice for the poor.. by the way, I hope we realize the fine will be paid to the court not victim .. too sad
Re: Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. by lonelydora: 6:59am On Nov 01, 2014
anibi9674:
abeg ph houses r not expensive jor

I'm sure you stay in Obigbo.
Re: Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. by anitank(f): 7:00am On Nov 01, 2014
lonelydora:

I'm sure you stay in Obigbo.
Or Choba grin

1 Like

Re: Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. by Bumyde: 7:03am On Nov 01, 2014
How An African Woman’s Curvy Body Sent Her To An Early Grave: The Story Of Sarah Baartman

http://www.bumpgist.com/african-womans-curvy-body-sent-early-grave-tory-sarah-baartman-photo/
Re: Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. by mizjules(f): 7:05am On Nov 01, 2014
I don't under the law anymore, or rather I've never undertstood the law...the tenants damage worth 300 thousand and the landlord is asked to pay 50 thousand fine or sentenced to 3 year imprisonment lipsrsealed
Re: Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. by Nobody: 7:10am On Nov 01, 2014
anitank:

Don't mind all these people who are quick to judge. And while I don't condone harsh treatments from Landlords, some tenants are simply wicked!! One of my mum's tenants is owing rent for more than 2years now. She has neither refused to pay nor leave, even when my mum asked her to forget the rent she's owing and move out. This is just one of them. And my mum is the type that has too much sympathy on people. She ends up pleading for them each time we want to take it up

Exactly, people are too quick to judge. If put in the place of the landlady most of them will do worse.
Re: Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. by menesheh(m): 7:12am On Nov 01, 2014
coded01:

Landlords are talking
Re: Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. by Nobody: 7:14am On Nov 01, 2014
ibedun:
Useless tenants, go and die or build your own house.

Especially so with those marauding defaulting SE people in Lagos.
if madness combined wif stupidity, should be measured or quantified, yours has broken d scale.......

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. by Ucheosefoh(m): 7:25am On Nov 01, 2014
ibedun:
Useless tenants, go and die or build your own house.

Especially so with those marauding defaulting SE people in Lagos.
This were you display your myopic reasoning, maybe your father were fortune to build one, mind you we have many SE landlords in Lagos who have your kinsmen (southwest) as tenants. I want you to know that one day you will be a tenant or any of your relations and they or you will go and die cus you or they can not build your or their own house. Son mind your choice of words because it will come back to hurt you later in life

2 Likes

Re: Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. by domack99(m): 7:51am On Nov 01, 2014
Just a small article people still can't read, 50k fine or 3 yrs in prison, where is the justice. I will rather take the landlady method of eviction than going through the wahala of customary court process, at least for this case the tenant is out already, the landlady only pay 50k to the court while the tenant still suffer 300k damages and still employ the service of a lawyer with the hope of getting something meaningful in return.

I hope the tenant go to higher court to seek justice, this is certainly no justice
Re: Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. by slimmingcare(f): 8:01am On Nov 01, 2014
He should not have done that.He is incurring more expenses
Re: Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. by Nobody: 8:10am On Nov 01, 2014
50k fine as against the damage of 300k...

Some landlords are bad but Some tenants though undecided
They act nice when they just want to rent your property but they become something else when it's time to pay the next rent or abide by agreements they signed with eyes opened when they were still desperate to get the house!

Who knows what kinda tenant this guy was? Prolly frustrated the woman.

1 Like

Re: Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. by brainb0xx(m): 8:16am On Nov 01, 2014
InvertedHammer:

/

Where is the justice?

N300K damages vs. N50k fine (in lieu of 3 years jail term).

SMH

\
I sense typographical error... Maybe its actually 500k dey meant there...
Re: Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. by OwoLee(m): 8:23am On Nov 01, 2014
akinsadeez:
This is a good judgment.
Even if the tenant is terrible, there are legal ways of ejecting a tenant. Removing the roof of a house just to eject the tenant is simply a callous and inhuman act. She must be one of those landlords/ landladies who believe that since it is their property they can do whatever they like conveniently forgetting the fact that the tenancy agreement also bestows rights on the tenants and corresponding duties on the landlord. This will teach her a lesson and I am sure she won't ever try it again.

Na because say u never experience something like this b4, If u work hard for ur money to build a house so that u have something to give u money monthly or anually nd u encounter a very stuborn tenant who is not willing to pay nd believes he has to use additional 6months grace for him/her to look elsewhere...They will frustrate ur life that u would think it's better not to have tenant again...am currently experiencing one right now, it's over 1yr nd 7months have received any rents under pleading, now I didn't see him in the house again, I went to report at the police station, Police talk say make I go find 30K to park his load to the station...I even look at the whole thing, the load wey dey house no even worth 10,000...u see the frustration!

1 Like

Re: Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. by mizhanny(f): 8:23am On Nov 01, 2014
So na 2013 matter dey ground abi...
Well, I fink d landlady deserves it #drops_mic
Re: Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. by otunbakolawole(m): 8:28am On Nov 01, 2014
The truth is tenants can be very horrible. I just sued one of my tenants who owes me 3yrs rent of 7.5million Naira.

Please note, this tenant in question in a respectable individual with children and a grand child. Before the expiration of his rent, (even though he never defaulted before) he came to me and explained that he had some challenges, and that he would need 3months, I gave him the Relief. For six months, nobody disturbed him. After which I told him to start looking to alternative accommodation if he knows he couldn't pay up. It's been one story to the other, when I got tired, I called my lawyers, two months ago, and sent the case to court.

If that was my source of livelihood, that's how he would have messed up.

In as much I don't support what the landlord did, I strongly believe tenants most especially in Abuja, are favoured by the tenancy law here, and whenever they have little challenges, instead of doing the needful, the collaborate with evil lawyers to frustrate the landlord. It's bad, coz one day, the person who is a tenant today would be a landlord tomorrow.

Am still looking for an avenue to discuss this is with relevant bodies, on a review of this tenancy legislation in Abuja. It should be made fair, with a 50 - 50 win for both parties...

2 Likes

Re: Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. by JustCurious: 8:44am On Nov 01, 2014
That alternate fine of N50,000 'spoilt' the show.

Now, the tenant is still gonna move out of the house and bear the brunt of property that got destroyed...without the landlord paying a dime.

Poor judgement...
Re: Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. by Heart2heart(m): 8:56am On Nov 01, 2014
the bush meant didn't caughtn't the hunter..lolz grin grin grin grin
Ipledge:
Now that Bush meat have catches hunter grin

LIKE if you want God to send everybody giving you problems just 3yrs vacation In prinson
Re: Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. by 360command: 9:02am On Nov 01, 2014
modelmike7:
The Judge should kindly be transfer to Lagos ASAP, by the time like 10 Landlords land for jail, the others will learn their lessons and treat their tenants like TFC customers!!!
shut the fvck up, u do not know what it is for a tenant to stay under your roof for 1 or 2 year(s) without paying rent. I pray you become a landlord. Though, I do not support what the landlord did to the tenant.

3 Likes

Re: Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. by justoneday: 9:10am On Nov 01, 2014
Good judgement tho,but the judge fail to sign the change of ownership to the tenant. The landlord may be pushed to go that far,It's only those in his shoes will understand what the landlord might have gone through from that his tenant. Until when one invest (millions-naira) your life saving money in property after passing the ugly experience of omonile treatment. People some tenant can be evil, is the tenant the only person in the compound Jor many questions to ask

1 Like

Re: Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. by 9jatatafo(m): 9:16am On Nov 01, 2014
Not a good judgement to me. Three years imprisonment with option of fine of N50,000 after the landlady destroyed her tenant's properties worth N300,000? The landlady will gladly pay the 50k and be free while the tenant will look for 300k to buy his damaged properties. The court should have asked the landlady to pay the tenant serious compensation. Op change the topic by replacing landlady with landlord. Thanks
Re: Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. by lillyjane(f): 9:20am On Nov 01, 2014
Since 2013 and he is just getting justice now? Anyways thank God and the judge. But wait ooo, what is the relationship between a 3year jail term and ordinary 50k?.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Woman Returns From SALAH Feasting Only To Find Her House On Fire / Photos From The Building Collapse In Isheri-Magodo, Lagos In The Morning / Landlord Evicts Tenant Not Knowing That His Daughter Has Collected Rent

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.