Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,844 members, 7,813,846 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:46 PM

Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. - Properties (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. (35782 Views)

Should I Give My Unfaithful Tenant An Eviction Notice? / Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force / Become A Landlord Today And Cease From Being A Tenant With Just N34,000!!!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. by LORDI(m): 10:29am On Nov 01, 2014
Some landlord are just wicked!!,they feel they can treat their tenant anyway they like....I hope others like him will learn his lessons.
Re: Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. by gogodaye(m): 10:29am On Nov 01, 2014
@ slimmy05...Enough of your boisterous assertions on a faceless forum as NL. The agreement would read you're a monthly tenant paying up a years' rent advance. Come to think of it would you not also be paying for the services of the lawyers you'll be engaging? What about the man-hours you'll have to loose yourself? You need to also jam a very good Landlord who upon discerning your antics would either have you framed up by corrupt law enforcement chaps or outrightly killed by hired street urchins.
Re: Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. by blessedqueen(f): 10:31am On Nov 01, 2014
oluwafestus:
. I feel u dear but there are procedure in every situation. So I do advice ur mom to follow due process in evicting her. First os all get a lawyer to serve her notice and is she don't leave u can go to court. Anoda option use adura(prayer) pursue her from ur house.

Thank u...we call it due process

1 Like

Re: Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. by Nobody: 10:32am On Nov 01, 2014
gogodaye:
@slimmy05......Once the right steps as provided for in law are adhered to...culminating a valid order of court for the recovery j reversion of the possesion of the let property back to the landlord...No one needs a Festus Keyamo as his lawyer....for you to be cleared of all your recedivist doubts...You'll be made an instant neighbourhood celebrity to the delight of street urchins when the mechinery of the Nigerian state is brought to bear in enforcing the valid order of the court.
dude, all this are mere rants. You think getting court injunction to evict a tenant is like buying newspaper? You don't get the jerk bro. It will dawn on you when you meet that tenant who will go the extra mile with you
Re: Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. by Nobody: 10:36am On Nov 01, 2014
gogodaye:
@ slimmy05...Enough of your boisterous assertions on a faceless forum as NL. The agreement would read you're a monthly tenant paying up a years' rent advance. Come to think of it would you not also be paying for the services of the lawyers you'll be engaging? What about the man-hours you'll have to loose yourself? You need to also jam a very good Landlord who upon discerning your antics would either have you framed up by corrupt law enforcement chaps or outrightly killed by hired street urchins.
seems you just added some new words to your vocabulary. Thread In all directions and you'll have a mouth full of it.
Re: Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. by darlenese(f): 10:38am On Nov 01, 2014
.......and al the tenants are noding their heads in agreement with this judgement sad, ...... make una go build una huz ooooooo

2 Likes

Re: Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. by dom(m): 10:39am On Nov 01, 2014
eleojo23:
The landlord caused him damages worth 300,000 and ends up being given an OPTIONAL fine of 50,000?
I don't get it. Someone should please explain the maths and reason behind this.
the Fine is paid to the state. In lieu of imprisonment. The accused will still pay damages to the complainant to the extent he was able to prove.
Re: Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. by vivalavida(m): 10:44am On Nov 01, 2014
Sheggy13:

Now u have gotten the attention u need bigoted fool.. It's rusted but ur people won't stop trooping from their heavens to settle in towns with these rusted zinc..

We are here to develope South West Nigeria
Re: Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. by Nobody: 10:47am On Nov 01, 2014
darlenese:
.......and al the tenants are noding their heads in agreement with this judgement sad, ...... make una go build una huz ooooooo
do you want to die of starvation
Re: Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. by eagleeye2: 10:51am On Nov 01, 2014
gogodaye:
I am amused by his boasts. If he were to be my tenant, I wonder how things will play out when he defaults on payment. One is that, I hardly give anyone more than three months grace. After that, the whole talk will be done in writing through my lawyer.

3 Likes

Re: Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. by Franchise21(m): 10:58am On Nov 01, 2014
WTF!!! N50,000 fine? Will she also replace d tenant's Properties dat were destroyed?
Re: Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. by Nobody: 11:00am On Nov 01, 2014
eagleeye2:

I am amused by his boasts. If he were to be my tenant, I wonder how things will play out when he defaults on payment. One is that, I hardly give anyone more than three months grace. After that, the whole talk will be done in writing through my lawyer.
I will make you a tenant in your own house. This is not a boast. An averge Igbo business man despite a tenant can still buy your house and make you a tenant. Dude, you'll beg when it happens. I will never default on payment, I don't stand on that grounds. But if otherwise giving flimsy excuses relating to the notice. Then be ready from r flimsy excuses moving out. You never jam Igbo tenant.
Re: Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. by Lexusgs430: 11:03am On Nov 01, 2014
coded01:
Now its tenant that has the power! shocked grin --- "3 years on top person house" shocked angry

So if a tenant breaks his or her contract, "na to dey sit down look", Abi! angry

Nigeria sha with its irregularities... tongue

It's not irregularities. The laws are made to protect the tenant and landlord.
Unfortunately, if your tenant refuses to pay rent and does not move out, from that moment begin to seek legal redress.
Re: Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. by darlenese(f): 11:04am On Nov 01, 2014
slimmy05:
do you want to die of starvation

??
Re: Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. by eagleeye2: 11:14am On Nov 01, 2014
slimmy05:
I will make you a tenant in your own house. This is not a boast. An averge Igbo business man despite a tenant can still buy your house and make you a tenant. Dude, you'll beg when it happens. I will never default on payment, I don't stand on that grounds. But if otherwise giving flimsy excuses relating to the notice. Then be ready from r flimsy excuses moving out. You never jam Igbo tenant.
Bro, I am Igbo. WTF, are you talking about? As in me go sell my house to you, wey be my tenant.......na through Juju abi clear eyes?

2 Likes

Re: Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. by Nobody: 11:16am On Nov 01, 2014
Truth is some tenants are terrible, that is why these days you hear agents tell you that the landlord wants only companies especially in the high brow areas.

1 Like

Re: Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. by Nobody: 11:17am On Nov 01, 2014
eagleeye2:

Bro, I am Igbo. WTF, are you talking about? As in me go sell my house to you, wey be my tenant.......na through Juju abi clear eyes?
when it dawn on you. Youll ask yourself
Re: Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. by akinsadeez(m): 11:23am On Nov 01, 2014
eagleeye2:

hehehehehe. grin. I had to laugh at the bolded
Re: Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. by showby: 11:25am On Nov 01, 2014
No encouragement whatsoever to landlords in this country and after building on high costs (maybe from life savings or retirement), one mumu iddiot go come say e no go pay rent. Rubbish.

2 Likes

Re: Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. by eagleeye2: 11:28am On Nov 01, 2014
akinsadeez:

hehehehehe. grin. I had to laugh at the bolded
I say make I ask now.....how the slimmy guy wan take make me tenant for my own house?
Re: Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. by showby: 11:30am On Nov 01, 2014
tatiana009:
Truth is some tenants are terrible, that is why these days you hear agents tell you that the landlord wants only companies especially in the high brow areas.

The problem is that some persons who are supposed to stay in one-room or even half-room get themselves into flats and to pay rent becomes a problem.

2 Likes

Re: Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. by pat077: 11:32am On Nov 01, 2014
ibedun:
Useless tenants, go and die or build your own house.

Especially so with those marauding defaulting SE people in Lagos.
what r u saying? Well, u need to b ignored coz answerin u would b a violation of animal right.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. by kennytidistar(m): 11:39am On Nov 01, 2014
that land lady no get leg.

1 Like

Re: Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. by Nobody: 11:40am On Nov 01, 2014
showby:

The problem is that some persons who are supposed to stay in one-room or even half-room get themselves into flats and to pay rent becomes a problem.

Gbam, so they can form big boy/girl. Some will even start claiming that they own the house (Emeka Ike) type. If you have problems paying the rent then the building is too expensive for you, go and cut your coat according to your size.

2 Likes

Re: Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. by Gorgeous58(f): 11:47am On Nov 01, 2014
The potion of fine of 50,000 is too meager. There should,kt be option of fine or the fine should be placed above a million naira.
Re: Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. by cbrass(m): 11:51am On Nov 01, 2014
modelmike7:
The Judge should kindly be transfer to Lagos ASAP, by the time like 10 Landlords land for jail, the others will learn their lessons and treat their tenants like TFC customers!!!

Then go and build your house

2 Likes

Re: Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. by tenaciousJ(f): 11:58am On Nov 01, 2014
Some landlords can be so heartless..God help us
Re: Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. by iaatmguy(m): 12:48pm On Nov 01, 2014
greall1:
Oh I love my Ex landlord Alh jeogunosimi he always there for me May his soul continue Rest in Peace.

Am sure you are mot a defaulting tenant thats y he likes you, or better still you are a very good person

Re: Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. by cole265(m): 12:50pm On Nov 01, 2014
anitank:

Don't mind all these people who are quick to judge. And while I don't condone harsh treatments from Landlords, some tenants are simply wicked!! One of my mum's tenants is owing rent for more than 2years now. She has neither refused to pay nor leave, even when my mum asked her to forget the rent she's owing and move out. This is just one of them. And my mum is the type that has too much sympathy on people. She ends up pleading for them each time we want to take it up

Now tell me how many people here can tolerate such tenants

Those people hailing the tenant and totally condemning the landlord obviously are equally irresponsible as this wicked tenants.
It is simply irresponsibility that will make someone not to make the paying of his or her rent a top priority.
This is my dad's style. He pays his house rent before even considering paying our school fees. When he lost his job at a point, the land lord was very considerate and did not border us over a period of two years after we overcame the ordeal and eventually ended up collecting just half of the whole amount and extremely commended my dad to be a very responsible man.

Your mum need an agent. A good one. I had a similar problem sometimes ago. All four of my tenants conspired not to pay for two years after the initial payment when they moved in.+ that they were dirty and vandals. When it became obvious I can't get them to pay or move out, I unfortunately had to go through the stress of contacting a lawyer who served them a court summon. The lawyer used his experience to fast track the process, within three months, the court ordered that they be evacuated forcefully and their vital property worth the cost of rent where seized pending when they are able to pay up. Though I parted with some 75k to the lawyer and police, but the tenants were all disgraced. He made sure the evacuation was sudden. Most of their belongings were destroyed in the process, they had no plans of what to do, because it was too sudden.
I was thereafter advised to get an agent and since then, I get my rent in due time or notice of inability to meet up + that the property is well taken care of and maintained. So tell your mum to get a good and trusted house agent and save her self from these set of irresponsible human beings. As you can see from this thread, they are numerous.

5 Likes

Re: Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. by thegoodone2(m): 1:06pm On Nov 01, 2014
coded01:
Now its tenant that has the power! shocked grin --- "3 years on top person house" shocked angry

So if a tenant breaks his or her contract, "na to dey sit down look", Abi! angry

Nigeria sha with its irregularities... tongue
she suppose to go to court.
Re: Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. by hardbody: 1:11pm On Nov 01, 2014
ibedun:
Useless tenants, go and die or build your own house.

Especially so with those marauding defaulting SE people in Lagos.

I am SE, a landlord in Lagos with SW indigenes as my tenants.

Can you relate with that?

1 Like

Re: Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. by hardbody: 1:16pm On Nov 01, 2014
cole265:

Those people hailing the tenant and totally condemning the landlord obviously are equally irresponsible as this wicked tenants.
It is simply irresponsibility that will make someone not to make the paying of his or her rent a top priority.
This is my dad's style. He pays his house rent before even considering paying our school fees. When he lost his job at a point, the land lord was very considerate and did not border us over a period of two years after we overcame the ordeal and eventually ended up collecting just half of the whole amount and extremely commended my dad to be a very responsible man.

Your mum need an agent. A good one. I had a similar problem sometimes ago. All four of my tenants conspired not to pay for two years after the initial payment when they moved in.+ that they were dirty and vandals. When it became obvious I can't get them to pay or move out, I unfortunately had to go through the stress of contacting a lawyer who served them a court summon. The lawyer used his experience to fast track the process, within three months, the court ordered that they be evacuated forcefully and their vital property worth the cost of rent where seized pending when they are able to pay up. Though I parted with some 75k to the lawyer and police, but the tenants were all disgraced. He made sure the evacuation was sudden. Most of their belongings were destroyed in the process, they had no plans of what to do, because it was too sudden.
I was thereafter advised to get an agent and since then, I get my rent in due time or notice of inability to meet up + that the property is well taken care of and maintained. So tell your mum to get a good and trusted house agent and save her self from these set of irresponsible human beings. As you can see from this thread, they are numerous.

Uncle, the law is clear about how to evict a defaulting tenant and yet recover your outstanding rent which in law is technically known as mesne profits. Taking the laws into your hand because you are the landlord is callous and irresponsible beyond its illegality. I am a landlord and accord tenants their rights at law without prejudice to my legally recognized rights too

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Woman Returns From SALAH Feasting Only To Find Her House On Fire / Photos From The Building Collapse In Isheri-Magodo, Lagos In The Morning / Landlord Evicts Tenant Not Knowing That His Daughter Has Collected Rent

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.