Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,772 members, 7,813,559 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:52 PM

Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. - Properties (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. (35779 Views)

Should I Give My Unfaithful Tenant An Eviction Notice? / Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force / Become A Landlord Today And Cease From Being A Tenant With Just N34,000!!!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. by noel76(m): 1:18pm On Nov 01, 2014
Some tenants are equally very wicked wen they want to rent ur house they promise heaven on earth wen dey manage to pay d 1st rent d rest is history. Wat do u do to a tenant who has refused to pay his rent for abt 2years.

1 Like

Re: Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. by Nobody: 1:18pm On Nov 01, 2014
cole265:

Those people hailing the tenant and totally condemning the landlord obviously are equally irresponsible as this wicked tenants.
It is simply irresponsibility that will make someone not to make the paying of his or her rent a top priority.
This is my dad's style. He pays his house rent before even considering paying our school fees. When he lost his job at a point, the land lord was very considerate and did not border us over a period of two years after we overcame the ordeal and eventually ended up collecting just half of the whole amount and extremely commended my dad to be a very responsible man.

Your mum need an agent. A good one. I had a similar problem sometimes ago. All four of my tenants conspired not to pay for two years after the initial payment when they moved in.+ that they were dirty and vandals. When it became obvious I can't get them to pay or move out, I unfortunately had to go through the stress of contacting a lawyer who served them a court summon. The lawyer used his experience to fast track the process, within three months, the court ordered that they be evacuated forcefully and their vital property worth the cost of rent where seized pending when they are able to pay up. Though I parted with some 75k to the lawyer and police, but the tenants were all disgraced. He made sure the evacuation was sudden. Most of their belongings were destroyed in the process, they had no plans of what to do, because it was too sudden.
I was thereafter advised to get an agent and since then, I get my rent in due time or notice of inability to meet up + that the property is well taken care of and maintained. So tell your mum to get a good and trusted house agent and save her self from these set of irresponsible human beings. As you can see from this thread, they are numerous.
Lies.
Re: Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. by Nobody: 1:19pm On Nov 01, 2014
noel76:
Some tenants are equally very wicked wen they want to rent ur house they promise heaven on earth wen dey manage to pay d 1st rent d rest is history. Wat do u do to a tenant who has refused to pay his rent for abt 2years.
tongue very common with ofe Nmanu tenant
Re: Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. by hardbody: 1:23pm On Nov 01, 2014
saxywale:
Are there no customary courts in Ekiti state
The customary court bailiffs and police would have ejected the tenant without problems.

The baillif will lose his job and pay part of the fine ditto the police. You all believe that this country is lawless. It may be lawless indeed but there are laws in the books and when properly exploited, the errant person will be brought to his knees. Are you aware that the tenant in the extant case can still appeal the judgement which is in his favour only yo ask that the penalty should be higher? By the time she is done with the landlady it might be another 10 to 15 years before she gets her total freedom on the rubbish action taken by her.
Re: Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. by Nobody: 1:27pm On Nov 01, 2014
hardbody:

The baillif will lose his job and pay part of the fine ditto the police. You all believe that this country is lawless. It may be lawless indeed but there are laws in the books and when properly exploited, the errant person will be brought to his knees. Are you aware that the tenant in the extant case can still appeal the judgement which is in his favour only yo ask that the penalty should be higher? By the time she is done with the landlady it might be another 10 to 15 years before she gets her total freedom on the rubbish action taken by her.
leave them with their ignorance and the few rubbish information they've been fed with. In their shallow mind, they think once the landlord takes the tenant to court, then the tenant is in trouble.
Re: Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. by eagleeye2: 1:28pm On Nov 01, 2014
cole265:

Those people hailing the tenant and totally condemning the landlord obviously are equally irresponsible as this wicked tenants.
It is simply irresponsibility that will make someone not to make the paying of his or her rent a top priority.
This is my dad's style. He pays his house rent before even considering paying our school fees. When he lost his job at a point, the land lord was very considerate and did not border us over a period of two years after we overcame the ordeal and eventually ended up collecting just half of the whole amount and extremely commended my dad to be a very responsible man.

Your mum need an agent. A good one. I had a similar problem sometimes ago. All four of my tenants conspired not to pay for two years after the initial payment when they moved in.+ that they were dirty and vandals. When it became obvious I can't get them to pay or move out, I unfortunately had to go through the stress of contacting a lawyer who served them a court summon. The lawyer used his experience to fast track the process,
Incase of this kind of conspiracy next time, use divide and rule method.
I was once faced with this type of situation, last year. What I did was to serve quit notice to just one tenant whom I know is the weakest in the conspiracy and left the others. (one of them being a Lawyer).
When the man I served quit notice found out that it was only him, he had no option but to pay up his rent. And by paying up, others were left with no choice as well. Take on this type of fight, one man at a time and start with the most vunerable.

1 Like

Re: Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. by eagleeye2: 1:28pm On Nov 01, 2014
Re: Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. by wiringdpt(m): 1:45pm On Nov 01, 2014
Oya mi lenu o
eleojo23:
The landlord caused him damages worth 300,000 and ends up being given an OPTIONAL fine of 50,000?
I don't get it. Someone should please explain the maths and reasoning behind this.
Re: Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. by cole265(m): 2:22pm On Nov 01, 2014
slimmy05:
Lies.

Creativity. grin grin
Re: Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. by Nobody: 3:08pm On Nov 01, 2014
I sympathize with the landlady. People will just be squatting in your property for years as if they intend to pass it down to their children without paying a dime. Meanwhile, the debtors who lent you the capital to build the house are calling YOU, not the tenant, YOU. The bill collectors are demanding payment. But someone will be sitting in your source of income with zero plans to leave, and if you change the lock, you are the one who will be in trouble. Even if you break down and pay legal fees, the fight might last for how long? And if it succeeds, will you get past rent back? No.

What kind of system is this, that gives more rights to trespassers than the owner of the property?
Re: Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. by sexyjob(m): 3:09pm On Nov 01, 2014
eleojo23:
The landlord caused him damages worth 300,000 and ends up being given an OPTIONAL fine of 50,000?
I don't get it. Someone should please explain the maths and reasoning behind this.
the landlady wld pay N350,000. The damages and N50,000 to the court.
Re: Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. by chrisxxx(m): 3:43pm On Nov 01, 2014
The irony of life. A tenant would find it difficult or claim he has no money to settle his rent but would have money when it come to consulting a legal expert. Then we imagine which is cheaper and necessary?

1 Like

Re: Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. by eagleeye2: 3:57pm On Nov 01, 2014
chrisxxx:
The irony of life. A tenant would find it difficult or claim he has no money to settle his rent but would have money when it come to consulting a legal expert. Then we imagine which is cheaper and necessary?
Na so life be..... But seriously the landlady f...k up. With patience and a good lawyer, this wouldn't have happened.
Re: Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 5:42pm On Nov 01, 2014
I read somewhere that Arkansa is the kingdom of landlords, such things can't happen there...

I know how it feels, tenants can really be a pain in the a**
Re: Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. by lastpage: 7:41pm On Nov 01, 2014
coded01:
Now its tenant that has the power! shocked grin --- "3 years on top person house" shocked angry

So if a tenant breaks his or her contract, "na to dey sit down look", Abi! angry

Nigeria sha with its irregularities... tongue

Relax guys, as it is often said "There are at least seven different ways of KILLING A CAT" .....even if it claims to have nine lives! grin grin wink wink

When you are dealing with "The Devil", you need to be smart and have a long spoon!

First, l dont support Landlords/ladies "abusing tenant rights". That is the most important statement l can make today!

But any silly tenant who thinks he or she can "take advantage' of our weak judicial system, to rubbish a landlord and taunt, abuse and oppress him/her, has another thing coming!

Ask ourself: [/b]How come tenants dont owe house rents in foreign countries like U.S.A, Europe and Canada?
[b]The reason is that "The law is balanced and it functions" in those places!

You owe just one week rent and the House owner will simply get an IMMEDIATE Court order (within a day or two) and he will change the ENTRANCE KEY right away and if you break the door, you will go to jail.... all within a short time.
Our Courts and judges need to step up if they are truly desirous of "enforcing laws".
The Govt itself needs to build AFFORDABLE housing units for the masses.

Having said that, there are easier ways within the African/Yoruba Context to send out such "evil tenants".

I wont elaborate much and l will post this as a "reported speech" just so that l am properly covered....
But this is how it happened to one tenant like that, ..in order of "appearance":
*Unknown "thieves" visit his room/flat and beat the hell out of him and also take some cash/valuables! => WARNING ...but least advisable due to possibility of leaving traces)!
*He still did not get the message, then he woke up one morning to find "Eboo" (Ritual offering) at his door thereafter, he starts battling strange illness. He just started "drying up' like someone with HIV! people who knew him were asking: Baba Chinedu, wetin do you now? shocked

Ofcourse he went to report to the Police but since nobody knew who brought the "Eboo" and no one could trace/connect its efficacy to his illness, NOTHING COULD BE DONE since our laws does not recognize such "nonsense"! grin kiss kiss

This is why l love the "African/Yoruba traditional methods of solving knotty problems. (as some people from a particular section of the country are typical of this kind of behaviour of not paying their rent and not vacating the house)....
If you dont like a landlord or dont like the house, just vacate peacefully instead of thinking you would suffer a landlord who "sacrificed" and took time, pain and scarce resources to put up a house ...that you now reside inside!
Even if you cant vacate immediately (due to reasons beyond your control but you are making genuine effort to vacate), make sure you never owe him his rent. if he does not accept it, go and pay it at the court for safe-keeping and they woudl issue you with a receipt!

As l was recounting, by the time this errant tenant starts hearing "strange noises" in his flat at night and no one else could hear it, he himself started thinking "he was loosing it" but as stubborn as they come, he bluffed it off as superstition!

Finally, he became so ill from "Ategun" that he was advised by "those in-the-know" to stop oppressing his Landlord otherwise he would pay with his "breath".
No one forced him before he came to beg Landlord to PLEASE give him one more week ....and he paid all his arrears before packing out!
I am sure a few people here would have had/heard of the same experience?
Omode o mogun, o npe l'eefo! wink

No need for violence or removing roofing sheet.
We must go back to our tradition in solving certain problems that are unique to our environment.
But let me add: The above would not work for a landlord who tries to oppress his tenant for no good reason! The 'gods' are not partial.
Adaabi jaa j'oogun lo! Even the Bible says "Curse without (Good) REASON, shall not land", right?

The funny thing is that most Nigerians think this "options" are lost in our generation simply because there are lots of quacks masquerading as traditionalist! I can understand younger kids born in Lagos/urban areas who dont know 'jack' about their origins, culture or identity.
Up till today, in my village and my house, you still cant enter and steal in the owners absence ... but the bad caveat is that it cant be used for profit! You cant 'trade' it for a benefit. if given it must be given free.

Lastpage!
Re: Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. by lastpage: 7:55pm On Nov 01, 2014
mizjules:
I don't under the law anymore, or rather I've never undertstood the law...the tenants damage worth 300 thousand and the landlord is asked to pay 50 thousand fine or sentenced to 3 year imprisonment lipsrsealed
sexyjob:

the landlady wld pay N350,000. The damages and N50,000 to the court.

You are COMPLETELY WRONG!

The Landlady would either pay #50,000 or go to JAIL! The #50K goes to the government as someone has earlier pointed out to you.
Its an "option of fine"!
It is a CRIMINAL CASE and such "criminal cases" dont offer financial relief to the victim. It only seeks to punish the offender (Landlord).
Ask a Lawyer if you are still in doubt.... stop acting like you know. wink

Lastpage!

BTW: The tenant, having won the 'criminal case', may on the basis of that, sue for "damages" in a separate and new CIVIL SUIT for compensation to whatever figure he/she decides ...and my Lord will then finally decide how much to "AWARD".
Re: Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. by mizjules(f): 8:27pm On Nov 01, 2014
lastpage:

You are COMPLETELY WRONG![/b]
The Landlady would either pay #50,000 or go to JAIL! The #50K goes to the government as someone has earlier pointed out to you.
Its an "option of fine"!
It is a CRIMINAL CASE and such "criminal cases" dont offer financial relief to the victim. It only seeks to punish the offender (Landlord).
Ask a Lawyer if you are still in doubt.... stop acting like you know. wink

Lastpage!

BTW: The tenant, having won the 'criminal case', may on the basis of that, sue for "damages" in a separate and new CIVIL SUIT for compensation to whatever figure he/she decides ...and my Lord will then finally decide how much to "AWARD".

ok
Re: Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. by adezzy01(m): 8:53pm On Nov 01, 2014
just observing
Re: Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. by babestella: 8:57pm On Nov 01, 2014
ibedun:
Useless tenants, go and die or build your own house.

Especially so with those marauding defaulting SE people in Lagos.

Animal, you never cease to disgrace yourself on this forum. Try it and end up in jail. You think it's all about owning a house and tramping on your tenants right. I see that you are a big fool & I'm certain you killed your father just to inherit his dilapidated 12 room face me I slap bungalow in Mushin.
Re: Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. by babestella: 9:09pm On Nov 01, 2014
MissMeiya:
I sympathize with the landlady. People will just be squatting in your property for years as if they intend to pass it down to their children without paying a dime. Meanwhile, ****the debtors *****who lent you the capital to build the house are calling YOU, not the tenant, YOU. The bill collectors are demanding payment. But someone will be sitting in your source of income with zero plans to leave, and if you change the lock, you are the one who will be in trouble. Even if you break down and pay legal fees, the fight might last for how long? And if it succeeds, will you get past rent back? No.

What kind of system is this, that gives more rights to trespassers than the owner of the property?

Sorry, debtors owe people money, while creditors lend money out to those who need it. So the landlady might be a debtor if she borrowed money to build her house not the creditor. Lol.
Now to your submission, the system you seem not to know now is the same system which puts in place laws guiding rents, tenancy agreements, eviction, notices etc in our judicial system. I see that the landlady did not follow legal proceedings in serving her tenant a quit notice. These issues are determined in a law court and not by removing the roof of the house just to show how arrogant and pompous a house owner of her type could be.

If she had followed the proper legal channel, the court might have compelled the tenant to move out and even pay fine.

Please reset your kind of thinking, it will not help the society.
Re: Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. by Nobody: 9:27pm On Nov 01, 2014
babestella:

Sorry, debtors owe people money, while creditors lend money out to those who need it. So the landlady might be a debtor if she borrowed money to build her house not the creditor. Lol.
Now to your submission, the system you seem not to know now is the same system which puts in place laws guiding rents, tenancy agreements, eviction, notices etc in our judicial system. I see that the landlady did not follow legal proceedings in serving her tenant a quit notice. These issues are determined in a law court and not by removing the roof of the house just to show how arrogant and pompous a house owner of her type could be.

If she had followed the proper legal channel, the court might have compelled the tenant to move out and even pay fine.

Please reset your kind of thinking, it will not help the society.

1. Congratulations. Did you enjoy yourself?

2. What do you know about what happened prior to the roof incident? Do people climb onto buildings and remove roofs for fun? You see that and think "arrogant and pompous", when anyone with a functional brain would see the act of a desperate woman.

3. With the system already biased so heavily towards the tenant, and the comments in this very thread--landlords comparing notes on how to deal with delinquent tenants--clearly the woman was unequipped with the information and/or financial resources to resolve the matter through legal means.

But I guess these occurrences are normal and desirable to you. Tenants everywhere default on their rent payments. But landlords do not regularly destroy their own property in an attempt to evict tenants. Except in Nigeria. Clearly the system is flawed.

YOU are the problem with society.

2 Likes

Re: Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. by Nobody: 9:32pm On Nov 01, 2014
lastpage:

Relax guys, as it is often said "There are at least seven different ways of KILLING A CAT" .....even if it claims to have nine lives! grin grin wink wink

When you are dealing with "The Devil", you need to be smart and have a long spoon!

First, l dont support Landlords/ladies "abusing tenant rights". That is the most important statement l can make today!

But any silly tenant who thinks he or she can "take advantage' of our weak judicial system, to rubbish a landlord and taunt, abuse and oppress him/her, has another thing coming!

Ask ourself: [/b]How come tenants dont owe house rents in foreign countries like U.S.A, Europe and Canada?

You owe just one week rent and the House owner will simply get an IMMEDIATE Court order (within a day or two) and he will change the ENTRANCE KEY right away and if you break the door, you will go to jail.... all within a short time.
Our Courts and judges need to step up if they are truly desirous of "enforcing laws".

If you dont like a landlord or dont like the house, just vacate peacefully instead of thinking you would suffer a landlord who "sacrificed" and took time, pain and scarce resources to put up a house ...that you now reside inside!
Even if you cant vacate immediately (due to reasons beyond your control but you are making genuine effort to vacate), make sure you never owe him his rent. if he does not accept it, go and pay it at the court for safe-keeping and they woudl issue you with a receipt!

I was really shocked when I discovered that you can't change the locks on delinquent tenants in Nigeria. And I don't mean delinquent by a few months. I mean YEARS. It's really ridiculous.
Re: Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. by Nobody: 9:37pm On Nov 01, 2014
MissMeiya:

I was really shocked when I discovered that you can't change the locks on delinquent tenants in Nigeria. And I don't mean delinquent by a few months. I mean YEARS. It's really ridiculous.
why would you in the first place? You're such a devil. Why are you so greedy to take one year rent as against the monthly rent. Why do you charge ridiculous fees as commission fee and agreement fee, while extorting the tenants you feel very refreshing. It's the tenants time to feel relaxing
Re: Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. by Nobody: 9:48pm On Nov 01, 2014
slimmy05:
why would you in the first place? You're such a devil. Why are you so greedy to take one year rent as against the monthly rent. Why do you charge ridiculous fees as commission fee and agreement fee, while extorting the tenants you feel very refreshing. It's the tenants time to feel relaxing

You are a squatter, not a tenant.

1 Like

Re: Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. by Nobody: 9:53pm On Nov 01, 2014
is that not the same thing that all landlords do in lagos...
Re: Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. by Nobody: 11:59pm On Nov 01, 2014
cbrass:

Then go and build your house
. . . . . . . Thanks for the advice my dear brother, i am on it presently. May the good Lord see me through it all. You will be invited to come have some Barbecue on my House-Warming Parry!!!
Re: Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. by Stylz69(m): 5:58am On Nov 02, 2014
eleojo23:
The judge can only sentence the landlady based on the provisions of the law for the crime committed regardless of the extent of damage caused. So if the law states that for such a crime, a prison sentence or a fine of 50,000 should be imposed, then so be it. The plaintiff can now file a civil suit against the landlady and sue for damages. In a civil suit, you can claim for any sort of damages...for property destroyed, for inconvenience caused, for trauma... and put a cash value to it.
Re: Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. by KingIOb: 7:02am On Nov 02, 2014
eleojo23:
The 50k is payable to the state and not to the tenant. I dont think the tenant's suit includes compensation to a certain amount as damages.
From what I can infer, the case is between the Police and the landlady, a case of forceful ejection only.
Re: Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. by lastpage: 8:56am On Nov 02, 2014
Finally, let me say that l have been a son of a Landlord .... while growing up.
I have also been a tenant myself, in two different states (due to work schedule) some years back.
I am also a Landlord for some years now.

I can say "I have seen and experienced it all"!

Like my parents used to say, ...and l do tell my Tenants (and one of my landlord back then was the "Chairman" of occasion during my first house-warming and did he tell a very long story! ), if you treat your landlord and his property VERY NICELY AND WITH RESPECT.... his/her prayers might hasten God's blessings on you, to become a Landlord yourself, in no time afterall, "where the strong is struggling, even the handicapped is prospering"! (adage).

Conversely, if you are the type that "suffers" your landlord and think that is your calling in life, you will work all your life and not see the fruits of your own labour... while your juniors will be doing house-warming, right, left and center!
I have seen a man who spent over 40yrs as a tenant in a house in Lagos, a very troublesome tenant.... and when his whole family were eventually ejected by the new owners of the house (Landlord died and his children sold the house), this "perpetual tenant" became homeless in his "old age"! It was with shame that they packed his belongings into 9-11 truck for eastward transport back to his village.

Its is a natural occurrence!
Similar to a child whose parents "righteously", repeatedly BLESS ;..compared to one whose parents "righteously" repeatedly swear and CURSE! Whose days do you think will be longer and fruitful?

Trust me, it works! We will reap whatever we sow, in the long or short run.

Lastpage!

2 Likes

Re: Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. by Nobody: 9:38am On Nov 02, 2014
lastpage:
Finally, let me say that l have been a son of a Landlord .... while growing up.
I have also been a tenant myself, in two different states (due to work schedule) some years back.
I am also a Landlord for some years now.

I can say "I have seen and experienced it all"!

Like my parents used to say, ...and l do tell my Tenants (and one of my landlord back then was the "Chairman" of occasion during my first house-warming and did he tell a very long story! ), if you treat your landlord and his property VERY NICELY AND WITH RESPECT.... his/her prayers might hasten God's blessings on you, to become a Landlord yourself, in no time afterall, "where the strong is struggling, even the handicapped is prospering"! (adage).

Conversely, if you are the type that "suffers" your landlord and think that is your calling in life, you will work all your life and not see the fruits of your own labour... while your juniors will be doing house-warming, right, left and center!
I have seen a man who spent over 40yrs as a tenant in a house in Lagos, a very troublesome tenant.... and when his whole family were eventually ejected by the new owners of the house (Landlord died and his children sold the house), this "perpetual tenant" became homeless in his "old age"! It was with shame that they packed his belongings into 9-11 truck for eastward transport back to his village.

Its is a natural occurrence!
Similar to a child whose parents "righteously", repeatedly BLESS ;..compared to one whose parents "righteously" repeatedly swear and CURSE! Whose days do you think will be longer and fruitful?

Trust me, it works! We will reap whatever we sow, in the long or short run.

Lastpage!
complete crap and a show of arrogance. All this epistle are just not called for at all.
Re: Landlord Gets 3-year Jail Term For Evicting Tenant With Force. by coded01: 9:39am On Nov 02, 2014
lastpage:

Having said that, there are easier ways within the African/Yoruba Context to send out such "evil tenants".

I wont elaborate much and l will post this as a "reported speech" just so that l am properly covered....
But this is how it happened to one tenant like that, ..in order of "appearance":
*Unknown "thieves" visit his room/flat and beat the hell out of him and also take some cash/valuables! => WARNING ...but least advisable due to possibility of leaving traces)!
*He still did not get the message, then he woke up one morning to find "Eboo" (Ritual offering) at his door thereafter, he starts battling strange illness. He just started "drying up' like someone with HIV! people who knew him were asking: Baba Chinedu, wetin do you now? shocked

Ofcourse he went to report to the Police but since nobody knew who brought the "Eboo" and no one could trace/connect its efficacy to his illness, NOTHING COULD BE DONE since our laws does not recognize such "nonsense"! grin kiss kiss

This is why l love the "African/Yoruba traditional methods of solving knotty problems. (as some people from a particular section of the country are typical of this kind of behaviour of not paying their rent and not vacating the house)....

As l was recounting, by the time this errant tenant starts hearing "strange noises" in his flat at night and no one else could hear it, he himself started thinking "he was loosing it" but as stubborn as they come, he bluffed it off as superstition!

Finally, he became so ill from "Ategun" that he was advised by "those in-the-know" to stop oppressing his Landlord otherwise he would pay with his "breath".
No one forced him before he came to beg Landlord to PLEASE give him one more week ....and he paid all his arrears before packing out!
I am sure a few people here would have had/heard of the same experience?
Omode o mogun, o npe l'eefo! wink

No need for violence or removing roofing sheet.
We must go back to our tradition in solving certain problems that are unique to our environment.
But let me add: The above would not work for a landlord who tries to oppress his tenant for no good reason! The 'gods' are not partial.
Adaabi jaa j'oogun lo! Even the Bible says "Curse without (Good) REASON, shall not land", right?

The funny thing is that most Nigerians think this "options" are lost in our generation simply because there are lots of quacks masquerading as traditionalist! I can understand younger kids born in Lagos/urban areas who dont know 'jack' about their origins, culture or identity.
Up till today, in my village and my house, you still cant enter and steal in the owners absence ... but the bad caveat is that it cant be used for profit! You cant 'trade' it for a benefit. if given it must be given free.

Lastpage!

Too much of Yoruba movies... grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Woman Returns From SALAH Feasting Only To Find Her House On Fire / Photos From The Building Collapse In Isheri-Magodo, Lagos In The Morning / Landlord Evicts Tenant Not Knowing That His Daughter Has Collected Rent

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 114
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.