Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,510 members, 7,819,840 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:26 AM

History Of Nigerian Presidents & Their Religious Beliefs - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / History Of Nigerian Presidents & Their Religious Beliefs (47379 Views)

5 Most Popular Daughters Of Nigerian Presidents / Saraki tells 3 Ex-Presidents, Influential Nigerians To Come To His Rescue-Nation / When Two Nigerian Presidents Arrived New York... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: History Of Nigerian Presidents & Their Religious Beliefs by Descartes: 2:24pm On Nov 04, 2014
loopman:

Yes or NO? stop asking question grin
Are we here for questionaire answer? undecided
Re: History Of Nigerian Presidents & Their Religious Beliefs by jojomario(m): 2:27pm On Nov 04, 2014
i dont bliv in the muslim muslim or chtistian chtistian of a thing. some people are bringing up issues like this to manipulate the reasoning of some fragile Nigerians .Tell me are we going to have all senators /reps muslims or christians? Lets face the personality of the candidates and choose a better leadership.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: History Of Nigerian Presidents & Their Religious Beliefs by gists: 2:29pm On Nov 04, 2014
PassingShot:

Nice compilation OP but Ajimobi is a Muslim.
Wow didn't realize the dude is a Muslim. I must have been distracted when I checked his profile, because I thought I saw Christopher in his name somewhere. Thanks for the correction. List will be updated ASAP.

1 Like

Re: History Of Nigerian Presidents & Their Religious Beliefs by Sibabasibaba1: 2:34pm On Nov 04, 2014
loopman:
PDP philosophy is the use of religion to divide Nigerians. wink cheesy

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PDP is not dividing Nigeria along religious lines. Nigeria has always been divided along religious lines. The APC presidential hopeful, Buhari, accentuated this division through his actions and rants over the years. Let's take a little look at history:

Muhammadu Buhari of the APC used Sharia to rise to political fame in 2000/2001. He was the one who advised Muslims to vote for those who will promote their religion: [http://allafrica.com/stories/200201210250.html]. He also called for Sharia in all states in Nigeria [http://allafrica.com/stories/200108270355.html]. These are indeed divisive comments.

Even the colonial masters saw the religious lines and allowed Islam to fester in the North. Ditto for the military governments. They recognised the differences in religion in the country, hence we had: Gowon/ Hassan Katsina; Murtala/Obasanjo; Obasanjo/ Yar'Adua; Babangida/Ukiwe and later Babangida Aikhomo; Abacha/Diya and later Abacha/ Akhigbe. Ironsi was was a special case because of how he came to power and he didn't last. In fact, it was your man, Buhari, who frowned at this, hence his second in command was a Northern Muslim, Tunde Idiagbon. Even in civilian regimes, it was so: Belewa/Zik, Shagari/Ekwueme; Obasanjo/Atiku and YarAdua/Jonathan. So saying that PDP divided you along religious line is a fallacy.

Did the PDP start the No Hijab, No vote issue in Lagos? Did PDP start the religious brouhaha in Osun Schools since the coming of Aregbesola?

Islamic riots in Nigeria date back to 1953 in Kano. In the 1970s and 80s we had the Maitatsine riots. In 1991 we had the Reinhard Bonke riots in Kano caused by Islamic intolerance. In 1995 Gideon Akaluka was Killed in Kano by Muslim fundamentalists. In 1999 Yerima led other Muslim governors to declare Sharia in nine Northern States, telling Christians that they were now in Muslim territories and must behave. Remember the Miss World Riots of 2002? What about the Danish (Mohammed) cartoon riots in 2005? We have seen the mayhem caused by Boko Haram since 2009. Each riot tells non-Muslim that they are not wanted in certain parts of the country.

So, division along religious has always been part of Nigeria. The PDP did not start it and will not end it.

35 Likes 2 Shares

Re: History Of Nigerian Presidents & Their Religious Beliefs by raumdeuter: 2:39pm On Nov 04, 2014
karlmax2:
Uwhat of Tarawa balewa who was nigerian prime minister? And then the the prime minister was the head of government. 2 why did you not impute the amount of years these Christian heads of states ruled Nigeria?. Well if u can't I would help you

menabadoo:
ok, op now calculate the number of years muslims ruled and that of Christians.

To Answer your questions

Olusegun Obasanjo Christian - 11 years
Yakubu Gowon Christian - 9yrs
Nnamdi Azikwe Christian 6yrs
Goodluck Jonathan Christian 5yrs
Aguiyi Ironsi Christian 6months
Ernest Shonekan - 4months

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: History Of Nigerian Presidents & Their Religious Beliefs by loopman: 2:41pm On Nov 04, 2014
Sibabasibaba1:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[s]PDP is not dividing Nigeria along religious lines. Nigeria has always been divided along religious lines. The APC presidential hopeful, Buhari, accentuated this division through his actions and rants over the years. Let's take a little look at history:

Muhammadu Buhari of the APC used Sharia to rise to political fame in 2000/2001. He was the one who advised Muslims to vote for those who will promote their religion: [http://allafrica.com/stories/200201210250.html]. He also called for Sharia in all states in Nigeria [http://allafrica.com/stories/200108270355.html]. These are indeed divisive comments.

Even the colonial masters saw the religious lines and allowed Islam to fester in the North. Ditto for the military governments. They recognised the differences in religion in the country, hence we had: Gowon/ Hassan Katsina; Murtala/Obasanjo; Obasanjo/ Yar'Adua; Babangida/Ukiwe and later Babangida Aikhomo; Abacha/Diya and later Abacha/ Akhigbe. Ironsi was was a special case because of how he came to power and he didn't last. In fact, it was your man, Buhari, who frowned at this, hence his second in command was a Northern Muslim, Tunde Idiagbon. Even in civilian regimes, it was so: Belewa/Zik, Shagari/Ekwueme; Obasanjo/Atiku and YarAdua/Jonathan. So saying that PDP divided you along religious line is a fallacy.

Did the PDP start the No Hijab, No vote issue in Lagos? Did PDP start the religious brouhaha in Osun Schools since the coming of Aregbesola?

Islamic riots in Nigeria date back to 1953 in Kano. In the 1970s and 80s we had the Maitatsine riots. In 1991 we had the Reinhard Bonke riots in Kano caused by Islamic intolerance. In 1995 Gideon Akaluka was Killed in Kano by Muslim fundamentalists. In 1999 Yerima led other Muslim governors to declare Sharia in nine Northern States, telling Christians that they were now in Muslim territories and must behave. Remember the Miss World Riots of 2002? What about the Danish (Mohammed) cartoon riots in 2005? We have seen the mayhem caused by Boko Haram since 2009. Each riot tells non-Muslim that they are not wanted in certain parts of the country.

So, division along religious has always been part of Nigeria. The PDP did not start it and will not end it. [/s]

Save this missive for the gullible, I don't read gibberish laced with propaganda.
PDP as a party has made religion a pillar of campaign. Religion politics is alien to SW, now it's creeping in, courtesy of PDP.

9 Likes

Re: History Of Nigerian Presidents & Their Religious Beliefs by gists: 2:49pm On Nov 04, 2014
raumdeuter:

To Answer your questions

Longest serving presidents in Nigerian history

Don't mind the guy my broda. I deliberately ignored him. google is there free of charge but they wont make the slightest of effort to verify the lies coming the very same a$$holes in Abuja - yet they hold on to their pay master's lies close to their hearts. Their bigotry mindset have been so wrapped up they can't see the truth even if it is presented to them free of charge.

That is almost 32 years of christian rule out of Nigeria's 54 years of independence!

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: History Of Nigerian Presidents & Their Religious Beliefs by Nobody: 2:50pm On Nov 04, 2014
Sibabasibaba1:

PDP is not dividing Nigeria along religious lines. Nigeria has always been divided along religious lines. The APC presidential hopeful, Buhari, accentuated this division through his actions and rants over the years. Let's take a little look at history:

So, division along religious has always been part of Nigeria. The PDP did not start it and will not end it.

2 Likes

Re: History Of Nigerian Presidents & Their Religious Beliefs by Sibabasibaba1: 2:55pm On Nov 04, 2014
loopman:

Save this missive for the gullible, I don't read gibberish laced with propaganda.
PDP as a party has made religion a pillar of campaign. Religion politics is alien to SW, now it's creeping in, courtesy of PDP.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Playing the Ostrich does not invalidate an argument. A sensible person will shoot down an argument with facts---and not fiction.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: History Of Nigerian Presidents & Their Religious Beliefs by loopman: 3:02pm On Nov 04, 2014
Sibabasibaba1:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[s]Playing the Ostrich does not invalidate an argument. A sensible person will shoot down an argument with facts---and not fiction[/s].

Abeggy carry your facts out of my sight and never put my mention into your rubbish again, you hear?
As a saTANoid, all your post has been fixation on Buhari since you registered in September.

8 Likes

Re: History Of Nigerian Presidents & Their Religious Beliefs by nduchucks: 3:03pm On Nov 04, 2014
Ngwakwe:

Ask those Animists, Cultists and traditionalists why they submitted to baptism in churches.

South East is approximately 98% Christians

How did you measure the 98% value other than quesses and counting the Christians within your circle of friends and family? Besides quite a few people who have been 'baptised' are ardent juju worshipers, animists, and/or cultists - i.e. even after being baptised. Your 98% number probably include those folks.

1 Like

Re: History Of Nigerian Presidents & Their Religious Beliefs by gists: 3:04pm On Nov 04, 2014
Sibabasibaba1:

Par your last sentence - You are right, and i have always said this myself. The pdp and gej did not start religious divide in Nigeria. So in fairness, let no body accuse gej of bringing religious divide to this country. But, what we accuse gej for is that under this administration, the religious polarity in Nigeria has been pronounced to a whole new level that it has never been before. Similarly, pdp/gej did not bring insurgents to Nigeria, but under the present a$$holes occuping aso rock, insurgents has planted a flag on our country. Nigerian Army has never been the strongest in the world, but under this useless government, we see Nigerian army running away from war front (for the 1st time in history) to Cameroon and shamefully surrender their arms to show they meant no harm simply because they have been delibrately under equipped and funded. The list goes on and on. I am sure many unbiased and enlightened people can add and explain more.

7 Likes

Re: History Of Nigerian Presidents & Their Religious Beliefs by nduchucks: 3:05pm On Nov 04, 2014
Kelvin0:

Talking about facts...here are some
APC (Arewa Peoples Congress) is not an opposition
Party. I am saying it for the umpteenth time APC is a failed experiment there is no amount of lies or propaganda against the PDP that will make me cast my vote for APC. They are the ones championing the instability in this administration thereby making it un-governable, they have traded the peace of our beloved country for their insatiable quest for power and yes they will fail......lemme tell u how;
Come February 2015 the PDP is going to sweep the whole of the middle belt..of course the SS & SE is not negotiable The SW will be divided, one half for APC and the other half PDP now tell me how APC is an opposition Party......If u know what I mean.

smh @ our educational system. I will simply assume that you mistakenly quoted my post and gave the response above. My post had nothing to do with APC.
Re: History Of Nigerian Presidents & Their Religious Beliefs by Sibabasibaba1: 3:11pm On Nov 04, 2014
loopman:

Abeggy carry your facts out of my sight and never put my mention into your rubbish again, you hear?
As a saTANoid, all your post has been fixation on Buhari since you registered in September.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Perhaps, you get your kicks by throwing insults. Unfortunatly, it will only do you more harm than good. I did not hit your mention first. You hit mine. Oh! You went to look at my profile. That is interesting! There is nothing wrong if I expose the hypocrisy of Buhari. Your job, if you are so concerned, is to point out where I am wrong-- with facts. There is a reason why Nigerian's have serially rejected your Buhari despite his claims to integrity. I will continue to bust his claims. If it pains you, you can go to the nearest chemist to buy panadol. It isn't expensive. Demolish me with facts. If you bring fiction, I demolish you.

9 Likes

Re: History Of Nigerian Presidents & Their Religious Beliefs by Nobody: 3:11pm On Nov 04, 2014
raumdeuter:

To Answer your questions

so that's how many years?
Re: History Of Nigerian Presidents & Their Religious Beliefs by Firefire(m): 3:12pm On Nov 04, 2014
Sibabasibaba1:

Finito!

5 Likes

Re: History Of Nigerian Presidents & Their Religious Beliefs by Sibabasibaba1: 3:13pm On Nov 04, 2014
loopman:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Perhaps, you get your kicks by throwing insults. Unfortunatly, it will only do you more harm than good. I did not hit your mention first. You hit mine. Oh! You went to look at my profile. That is interesting! There is nothing wrong if I expose the hypocrisy of Buhari. Your job, if you are so concerned, is to point out where I am wrong-- with facts. There is a reason why Nigerian's have serially rejected your Buhari despite his claims to integrity. I will continue to bust his claims. If it pains you, you can go to the nearest chemist to buy panadol. It isn't expensive. Demolish me with facts. If you bring fiction, I demolish you.

1 Like

Re: History Of Nigerian Presidents & Their Religious Beliefs by DrPrickson: 3:13pm On Nov 04, 2014
Re: History Of Nigerian Presidents & Their Religious Beliefs by festwiz(m): 3:14pm On Nov 04, 2014
I call this horse crap, just click the link on my signature
Re: History Of Nigerian Presidents & Their Religious Beliefs by Nobody: 3:17pm On Nov 04, 2014
gists:
Nnamdi Azikiwe => Christian => 1963
Major-General Johnson Aguiyi-Ironsi => Christian => 1966
General Yakubu Gowon => Christian => 1966
General Murtala Mohammed => Muslim => 1975
Major-General Olusegun Obasanjo => Christian => 1976
Shehu Shagari => Muslim => 1979
Major-General Muhammadu Buhari => Muslim => 1983
General Ibrahim Babangida => Muslim => 1985
Ernest Shonekan => Christian => 1993
General Sani Abacha => Muslim => 1993
General Abdulsalami Abubakar => Muslim => 1993
Olusegun Obasanjo => Christian => 1999
Umaru Musa Yar'Adua => Muslim => 2007
Goodluck Jonathan => Christian => 2010-date

Out of 14, we have 7 Christians and 7 Muslims

In South west, it is said that between 1979 - 1983 all the SW states (Ogun, Oyo, Ondo) were ruled by Christian-Christian tickets. Until the advent of Amosun, Ogun state had never had a muslim governor! Just 4 years ago, before Aregbesola, Osun was a under a Christian-Christian ticket (Oyinlola and Obada).

Between 1999 to date, South west has had more christain governors than muslims (Under AD/ACN and PDP)
Ekiti=>Niyi Adebayo=>AD=>Christian
Ogun=>Olusegun Osoba=>AD=>Christian
Ondo=>Adebayo Adefarati=>AD=>Christian
Osun=>Adebisi Akande=>AD=>Christian
Oyo=>Lam Adesina=>AD=>Muslim
Lagos=>Bola Tinubu>AD=>Muslim

Ekiti=>Ayo Fayose=>PDP=>Christian
Ogun=>Gbenga Daniel=>PDP=>Christian
Ondo=>Olusegun Agagu=>PDP=>Christian
Osun=>Olagunsoye Oyinlola=>PDP=>Christian
Oyo=>Rasheed Ladoja=>PDP=>Muslim
Lagos=>Bola Tinubu>ACN=>Muslim

Ekiti=>Segun Oni=>PDP=>Christian
Ogun=>Gbenga Daniel=>PDP=>Christian
Ondo=>Olusegun Agagu / Olusegun Mimiko=>PDP / LP=>Christian
Osun=>Olagunsoye Oyinlola / Rauf Aregbesola=>PDP / ACN=>Christian / Muslim
Oyo=>Alao Akala=>PDP=>Christian
Lagos=>Babatunde Fashola>ACN=>Muslim

Ekiti=>Kayode Fayemi=>ACN=>Christian
Ogun=>Ibikunle Amosun=>ACN=>Muslim
Ondo=>Olusegun Mimiko=>LP=>Christian
Osun=>Rauf Aregbesola=>ACN=>Muslim
Oyo=>Abiola Ajimobi=>ACN=>Muslim
Lagos=>Babatunde Fashola>ACN=>Muslim

PDP has produced more Christain governors in SW than other parties. Does that mean PDP is a Christian party?

All this religious antics are crap if you ask me. What is most important is the credibilty and the performance of the one in charge. Little wonder most south westerners doesn't even realise the fact above that there have been more christian governors.

FFk maliciously said APC governors are made up of 80 % muslims in order to manipulate the poplulace toward voting PDP against the facts above. What he maliciously lfet out is the fact that in South-East and South South governors have been 100% christians (and almost certainly, their deputies too!)

So Where is the Ismalization of Nigerian? In fact, should the majority of the Northan muslim population vote against PDP since PDP is the one playing the religion politics?

You know something...I am tired of Nigerians.

It seems that we are not willing to pay attention to the issues....rather we engage in inane and weird talk about religion and tribe and so on.

Let me tell you something about any Nigerian leader's attempt to Chrstianise or Islamise this country. It won't end well. And it would bite everyone in the back....elite and non-elite.

So, can we please GROW UP.....and discuss the issues here? Like our seriously oil dependent economy, and our lack of electrical power?

8 Likes

Re: History Of Nigerian Presidents & Their Religious Beliefs by omenka(m): 3:21pm On Nov 04, 2014
Op my God increase your wisdom a hundred folks!!

I said it yesterday, I'm repeating it again, all these talks about religion, age and region are absolutely nonsensical. That of religion is particularly nauseating due to its volatility. These antics never were issues, but had to became topical issues today since Jonathan and his gang have absolutely nothing tangible upon which to base their campaign. Dwelling on these frivolous considerations take the eyes of the electorates off the ball and indeed, the goal post!!

We've had numerous bad leaders in this country and the cut across both major faiths and tribes. So if you ask me, what one should be considering in making that choice of whom to led us beyond 2015 is the politician's antecedents and not their age, tribe, religion, or where they come from. Such considerations, to me, are supposed to be exclusive preserve of tauts and illiterates.

God bless the op.

5 Likes

Re: History Of Nigerian Presidents & Their Religious Beliefs by boujaye: 3:21pm On Nov 04, 2014
@OP, you better go and sleep and wake up again. your argument is baseless and senseless, and your reasoning faculty is too low! case dismiss. hit the hammer, gba, gba, gab, shout cooouuurrrtt.

2 Likes

Re: History Of Nigerian Presidents & Their Religious Beliefs by johnstar(m): 3:21pm On Nov 04, 2014
all of dm dey serve 1 god, na juju jare
Re: History Of Nigerian Presidents & Their Religious Beliefs by dammytosh: 3:22pm On Nov 04, 2014
FIELD MUSLIM - MUSLIM PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE AND LOSE GALLANTLY AND RELIGIOUSLY.

4 Likes

Re: History Of Nigerian Presidents & Their Religious Beliefs by loopman: 3:22pm On Nov 04, 2014
Sibabasibaba1:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[s]Perhaps, you get your kicks by throwing insults. Unfortunatly, it will only do you more harm than good. I did not hit your mention first. You hit mine. Oh! You went to look at my profile. That is interesting! There is nothing wrong if I expose the hypocrisy of Buhari. Your job, if you are so concerned, is to point out where I am wrong-- with facts. There is a reason why Nigerian's have serially rejected your Buhari despite his claims to integrity. I will continue to bust his claims. If it pains you, you can go to the nearest chemist to buy panadol. It isn't expensive. Demolish me with facts. If you bring fiction, I demolish you.[/s]

Obviously you are paid a token to be writing this nonsense, your employers are wasting their little resources.

2 Likes

Re: History Of Nigerian Presidents & Their Religious Beliefs by Coldfeet(f): 3:23pm On Nov 04, 2014
interesting
Re: History Of Nigerian Presidents & Their Religious Beliefs by gists: 3:25pm On Nov 04, 2014
bushdoc9919:

It seems that we are not willing to pay attention to the issues....rather we engage in inane and weird talk about religion and tribe and so on.

Let me tell you something about any Nigerian leader's attempt to Chrstianise or Islamise this country. It won't end well. And it would bite everyone in the back....elite and non-elite.

So, can we please GROW UP.....and discuss the issues here? Like our seriously oil dependent economy, and our lack of electrical power?

Yes that is the right thing to do. But the despirados in aso rock who want to cling to power by all means necessary want to use this useless topic distract us and to cause dis-harmony among us and make us fight (quite possibly kill one another) . And it seems they are doing pretty a good job with the way there praise singers blow it out of proportion.
Re: History Of Nigerian Presidents & Their Religious Beliefs by alphaconde(m): 3:26pm On Nov 04, 2014
Am not againt APC muslim candidature, am againt anyone againt jonathan even if they were christains.

But in anyway apc should have known better, the way sentiments guide nigerians am not sure most christians would take with a pinch of salt a muslim muslim ticket, not with bokoharam. We are too scared.

1 Like

Re: History Of Nigerian Presidents & Their Religious Beliefs by omenka(m): 3:26pm On Nov 04, 2014
bushdoc9919:

It is very irritating my brother. Religion, tribe and age became an issue since Jonathan started campaigning for re-election. Jonathan is completely damaged goods. Not a single tangible achievement he can place a finger on to sell himself to the electorates. He himself said in 2011, that if he can't fix the problem of power supply in 4years, then he is unworthy of being sent back to Aso Rock.
Re: History Of Nigerian Presidents & Their Religious Beliefs by mowah: 3:26pm On Nov 04, 2014
lol....check very well
its 6 Christians and 7 Muslims
you counted obasanjo twice

1 Like

Re: History Of Nigerian Presidents & Their Religious Beliefs by ayukdaboss(m): 3:28pm On Nov 04, 2014
Kelvin0:

Talking about facts...here are some
APC (Arewa Peoples Congress) is not an opposition
Party. I am saying it for the umpteenth time APC is a failed experiment there is no amount of lies or propaganda against the PDP that will make me cast my vote for APC. They are the ones championing the instability in this administration thereby making it un-governable, they have traded the peace of our beloved country for their insatiable quest for power and yes they will fail......lemme tell u how;
Come February 2015 the PDP is going to sweep the whole of the middle belt..of course the SS & SE is not negotiable The SW will be divided, one half for APC and the other half PDP now tell me how APC is an opposition Party......If u know what I mean.
Keep deceiving yourself. All that happened in the ''i had no slippers shoes period

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Buhari's Interview With Al Jazeera (Video) / President Buhari Hosts Ooni Of Ife, Sultan Of Sokoto, Emir Of Kano(photos) / Rivers Killings: Buhari Orders Security To Punish Sponsors

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.