Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,612 members, 7,816,514 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:28 PM

Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again (45334 Views)

Why You Should Never Buy Your Car Secretly / The Reason Why That Your Tokunbo Car Keeps Overheating Here In Nigeria / Changing The Radiator Of Your Tokunbo Car From Single Cell To Double Cell (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by Dreyl(m): 3:35am On Nov 07, 2014
I almost had the same experience once i have to spend more than 385k for new engine and others,can you imagine for the SUV i bought for 1.4million,the motherfvcking dealer cheated me,and i fell for it maybe because the car was very clean both interior and exterior,omo he nor easy but thank God sha i'm now enjoying the car faultlessly without any problem.
Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by Nobody: 7:12am On Nov 07, 2014
Lolz
When you buy your first bike, lemme know cheesy

idu1:
O boy u r not man enough to own a car......... All those thingx r minor issue.....make person hear word jor......

1 Like

Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by Nobody: 7:15am On Nov 07, 2014
#385k? shocked
My heart almost stopped beating there.
I can't imagine spending that much on a supposedly 'new' car.
I'm glad you're enjoying it now.[color=#006600][/color]

Dreyl:
I almost had the same experience once i have to spend more than 385k for new engine and others,can you imagine for the SUV i bought for 1.4million,the motherfvcking dealer cheated me,and i fell for it maybe because the car was very clean both interior and exterior,omo he nor easy but thank God sha i'm now enjoying the car faultlessly without any problem.
Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by Nobody: 7:20am On Nov 07, 2014
That's what my cousin says.

tempex88:
Valentine, I have looked for you and now. I have found you on nairaland. U will enjoy d DC.

TOBI
Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by fyneboi79(m): 7:41am On Nov 07, 2014
TheRainmaker1:
So I decided to buy a car...finally!!! (did somebody say congratulations? Thank you)

I'd been saving towards that end, ever since I moved to Lagos started working, and experienced the horrible conditions of Lagos public transport system.

I couldn't decide whether to go for a 'small' brand new car, or a 'bigger', fairly used (Tokunbo) car. Based on popular advice, I opted for a 'clean' (at least it looked clean to me) Tokunbo Honda Accord "Discussion Continues" from Nigeria Ports Authority (Tin Can Island), Apapa.

However, I've spent a whole lot more than I bargained in fixing one stupid thing or the other in the car; from buying a new battery to replacing one of the fans, filter, wheel balancing & alignment, etc.

The worst part is that I have not even driven my car; haven't even as much as touched the steering wheel of the car; I've been too busy lately, preparing for a professional exam. Only my cousin has been driving it for the past two weeks.

I dont think I'll ever buy a fairly used car again, whether na Naija used, or UK used...if e like, make e be for moon wey dem use am.

Next time, even if na Golf or Picanto my money reach, I'm buying brand new.

Na God go judge all these oyibo people wey go buy brand new car, come use am for several years, then send am come Africa.

Shey we dey forbid brand new cars for Naija?

@Op,‎u have made no point at all. How can ‎u go and buy from a junk yard and expect d bestAnd this is probably becos ‎u were too stingy to go and get a first grade toks car so ‎u opted for the junk yard.And you were also probably too stingy to take a mechanic or someone who is knowledgeable in cars to inspect for ‎u and ‎u pay him 15-20k.Stingy people all suffer such in d long run. Wetin Oyibo man do ‎uNa him bring the motor give ‎u? no be ur people go buy am put for ship come Naija? And ‎u sef wey no wan spend better money come go buy.Chop alone will die alone. Better respect urself cos people like ‎u can't even maintain brand new car for company.Rubbish!!

1 Like

Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by fyneboi79(m): 7:48am On Nov 07, 2014
firstEVA:
It's unfortunate you had a bad experience, but I can assure you that your story will be a shock to others who are enjoying their tokunbo or second hand cars.
Don't mind the stingy man.People buy even used toks here and r enjoying it and he is here talking trash.I am sure he bought it for like 1.3M and is now complaining over 70k-or 80k expenditure when others are buying the same car elsewhere for 1.6M-1.7M.
Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by Gramondhigh(m): 8:13am On Nov 07, 2014
ukandi1:
I have my own sore experiance dear: even worse than urs.
I bought a tokunbo toyota hiace 6Y from berger in Lagos. As i got to enugu, d axle was making noise. I had to buy a new axle was 35k.
I had not started using it fully when d oil pump started showing danger which i had to replace with 30k. I had to buy tyres for 56k( 4 no ) as well cos FRSC have booked me before cos of it.. Its been asking for cash almost on daily basis. I don tire.
Why will u buy vehicles from berger? Those people r wicked. I rather go to Cotonou. I bought a 2006 big daddy from berger 2 yrs ago not knowing it was an accidented vehicle. BT whenever I go to wash the car I see picess of glass in hidden part of the car. I had to change steering, half n top engine. Shocks. Camber. Inshort early this year I dashed d car out this yr. Funny enough I had already fixed everything.
The. Young man is now enjoying the car. He said it has not given him a single fault.

4 Likes

Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by ogawisdom(m): 8:34am On Nov 07, 2014
Op a tokunbo car is a used car changing of basic parts is expected after purchase which ll include

Battery 15k
Four tyres 50k
Oil n oil filter 5k
Oxygen sensor (if u r unlucky) 25k
Wheel balancing n alignment 2500
Others

Some naija used cars in abj for 2yrs may b in a better state than toks if well maintained n ll cost less to own bc d previous owner ve taken d initial costs off u angry

A car is a liability (lik a girlfriend infact I call my car my baby even though mine is loyal as I treat her well) n onces d initial repairs in a toks car does nt involve engine n transmission u shld nt complain much wink

U can't compare a car on 100k to 200k mileage to zero mileage (tear rubber), its more lik comparing d VJ of a girl of 16 with dt of 35 u kw its nt fair lipsrsealed.

Brand new cars r d best but hw many nigerians can afford dt

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by delkinz(m): 9:00am On Nov 07, 2014
Aside d fact that some basic changes needs to be done on your Tokumbo car, run a VIN check to see if you've not got yourself a flooded car
Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by Dreyl(m): 9:18am On Nov 07, 2014
TheRainmaker1:
#385k? shocked
My heart almost stopped beating there.
I can't imagine spending that much on a supposedly 'new' car.
I'm glad you're enjoying it now.[color=#006600][/color]

it wasn't easy bro,i didn't know buying a toks car would be a big prob,instead i would have add more money and buy the brand new kia i was eyeing then which was 3 million but sha everything in life is experience,i thank God the suv haven't given me any problem since i repaired it,anyway thanks for your concern.. smiley

2 Likes

Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by ukandi1(m): 9:23am On Nov 07, 2014
Gramondhigh:

Why will u buy vehicles from berger? Those people r wicked. I rather go to Cotonou. I bought a 2006 big daddy from berger 2 yrs ago not knowing it was an accidented vehicle. BT whenever I go to wash the car I see picess of glass in hidden part of the car. I had to change steering, half n top engine. Shocks. Camber. Inshort early this year I dashed d car out this yr. Funny enough I had already fixed everything.
The. Young man is now enjoying the car. He said it has not given him a single fault.

Bros, how was i to know that Berger was like that? Now we share our experiences here for others to know and apply caution.
There was a time i abandoned d bus for almost 5months , imagine how much i had to spend again when i returned to it. What annoys me most is that its not for commercial, its a 14 seater short frame Toyota hiace for personal use specifically for long journeys.
That thing has exhausted me financially. How can i just dash a 1.6m bus that is 2yrs old and has not served me at all? I am very annoyed.
Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by Nobody: 10:40am On Nov 07, 2014
Interesting...
...I may not appreciate the comparison between cars and women, but I get your point.
This is one of the Most enlightening comments on this thread.

Thanks.

ogawisdom:
Op a tokunbo car is a used car changing of basic parts is expected after purchase which ll include

Battery 15k
Four tyres 50k
Oil n oil filter 5k
Oxygen sensor (if u r unlucky) 25k
Wheel balancing n alignment 2500
Others

Some naija used cars in abj for 2yrs may b in a better state than toks if well maintained n ll cost less to own bc d previous owner ve taken d initial costs off u angry

A car is a liability (lik a girlfriend infact I call my car my baby even though mine is loyal as I treat her well) n onces d initial repairs in a toks car does nt involve engine n transmission u shld nt complain much wink

U can't compare a car on 100k to 200k mileage to zero mileage tear rubber n its lik comparing d VJ of a girl of 16 with dt of 35 u kw its nt fair.

Brand new cars r d best but hw many nigerians can afford dt
Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by Nobody: 10:44am On Nov 07, 2014
Please don't mind some of these guys throwing vexatious comments around, like they know everything.

Nobody expects you to know most of these things, especially when it's your first car. What matters is that you've learnt your lesson, and will make better choices in the future.

Please remember to advise someone.

ukandi1:

Bros, how was i to know that Berger was like that? Now we share our experiences here for others to know and apply caution.
There was a time i abandoned d bus for almost 5months , imagine how much i had to spend again when i returned to it. What annoys me most is that its not for commercial, its a 14 seater short frame Toyota hiace for personal use specifically for long journeys.
That thing has exhausted me financially. How can i just dash a 1.6m bus that is 2yrs old and has not served me at all? I am very annoyed.

1 Like

Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by Nobody: 10:45am On Nov 07, 2014
Done!

It isn't a flood vehicle.

delkinz:
Aside d fact that some basic changes needs to be done on your Tokumbo car, run a VIN check to see if you've not got yourself a flooded car
Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by Nobody: 10:47am On Nov 07, 2014
Lolz

Guy, Why're you hating now?

Even if I bought the car for #120k, it's still my money; I no steal am.

I deserve value for my money.

Don't worry, God that did mine, will do yours in time. wink

fyneboi79:
Don't mind the stingy man.People buy even used toks here and r enjoying it and he is here talking trash.I am sure he bought it for like 1.3M and is now complaining over 70k-or 80k expenditure when others are buying the same car elsewhere for 1.6M-1.7M.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by Nobody: 10:50am On Nov 07, 2014
Hahahahaha

Apparently guys are not smiling here.

Abeg how do you define 'stingy'? smiley

Don't worry, God will do yours for you, in time. Just be patient...I'll love to hear your experiences.

fyneboi79:
@Op,‎u have made no point at all. How can ‎u go and buy from a junk yard and expect d bestAnd this is probably becos ‎u were too stingy to go and get a first grade toks car so ‎u opted for the junk yard.And you were also probably too stingy to take a mechanic or someone who is knowledgeable in cars to inspect for ‎u and ‎u pay him 15-20k.Stingy people all suffer such in d long run. Wetin Oyibo man do ‎uNa him bring the motor give ‎u? no be ur people go buy am put for ship come Naija? And ‎u sef wey no wan spend better money come go buy.Chop alone will die alone. Better respect urself cos people like ‎u can't even maintain brand new car for company.Rubbish!!
Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by Nobody: 10:51am On Nov 07, 2014
Damn!!!

Somebody should have told me this three weeks ago! cheesy

lagcity:
Here is the lesson: If you have 1 million Naira, don't go and buy 1 million Naira used car. Buy N850,000 and keep the rest for repairs.
Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by ukandi1(m): 10:58am On Nov 07, 2014
TheRainmaker1:
Please don't mind some of these guys throwing vexatious comments around, like they know everything.

Nobody expects you to know most of these things, especially when it's your first car. What matters is that you've learnt your lesson, and will make better choices in the future.

Please remember to advise someone.

exactly what i mean.
I have owned and driven a number of Nigerian used cars. This was indeed my 1st direct tokunbo i was buying. I actually felt i had enuf experience not to fall into this, yet i fell.
Thanks for understanding me jaree...
Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by wheredemdey: 11:02am On Nov 07, 2014
mokane28:
true talk brother,i bought a brand new volkswagen jetta in 2009 and used it for 4 good years before selling it to a friend of mine who is still enjoying it till date and he has never gone to a mechanic to fix anything except change oil and brake pads and it did not go to mechanic for the 4 years i used it,i bought a brand new kia soul last year and the car will clock 2 years this coming april and i have not worked anything on it apart from routine oil change,i never change brake pads sef,brand new car is the bomb wether kia or honda or toyota

Just been curious..but why will a grown man buy a kia soul?....kia soul of all cars??..okay i know those cars are gotten through loans and monthly repayment ish..but heck why kia soul of all cars..that car looks so so ga..y..looks like some deranged gaay car..why did you buy it?? undecided undecided

Geeez..i feel like puking..why will a grown man with hairs on his body buy a kia soul??

3 Likes

Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by fyneboi79(m): 11:16am On Nov 07, 2014
TheRainmaker1:
Hahahahaha

Apparently guys are not smiling here.

Abeg how do you define 'stingy'? smiley

Don't worry, God will do yours for you, in time. Just be patient...I'll love to hear your experiences.

For ur information I have been driving my own car ever since I became an adult and all I want now is a house on d Island and a solid investment. Cars don't freak me anymore I am even looking for a bike to buy to be able to beat traffic here in lagos undecided

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by tigonana: 11:20am On Nov 07, 2014
Money speaking.
Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by banggy: 11:20am On Nov 07, 2014
jst passing by sha
Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by miqos02(m): 11:22am On Nov 07, 2014
@op, i have used a nigerian used car for two years without problems, its all about luck
Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by eleko1: 11:24am On Nov 07, 2014
Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by Dopeyomi(m): 11:24am On Nov 07, 2014
How ¢συℓ∂ such a meaningless post make frontpage

Ah swear there's no point in this posst!

It ̶̲̥̅̊н̣̣̇̇as̶̲̥̅̊ no meaning!

2 Likes

Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by mindworx: 11:24am On Nov 07, 2014
Seems this OP is the frugal type.. and probably you are better off hiring a taxi everyday. What did you spend that you're shouting ... and my guess is you squeezed to buy that DC with a low budget and they gave a 'low life' DC.

2 Likes

Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by rolled: 11:25am On Nov 07, 2014
Lack of finances makes Nigerians buy tokunbo
If a tokunbo and a brand new was sold for same amount ,pls which will we go for?
We know the answer already
I don't buy tokunbo cars anayway
Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by AlfaSeltzer(m): 11:25am On Nov 07, 2014
My advice is to stop buying second hand anything. Since the late 90s, companies have started doing what they call, planned obsolescence. This means they deliberately make things to not last long forcing you to continually buy parts. And the parts cost too much to worth it. So the best thing is to lease a new product and give it back as soon as the warranty period expires.
Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by Nobody: 11:27am On Nov 07, 2014
I think the grade is very important...some are not Tokunbo but Used cars...not just used...but Nigerian used. (you know how are roads are and how reckless the average Nigerian driver is...lol)

__Then it's not advisable to go but it yourself - what exactly do you know about cars?
Get a recommended and trusted dealer.

I drive a DC, too...it's almost 2yrs now and I just changed the tyre for the 2nd time 2months ago. The only thing I changed when it arrived was oil and co

___ some people are not just lucky sha...lol

2 Likes

Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by roufy235(m): 11:28am On Nov 07, 2014
sorry o. Me dey enjoy my fairly used range rover.
Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by rolled: 11:31am On Nov 07, 2014
His post has no meanings to millions of Nigerians because truth be told most Nigerians,especially on NL can't afford a brand new car
When some people earn like 150k per month,then tell me how long such person would save to buy a brand new
The person just goes for a tok's or a 3rd hand(which to him is very okay and even better than a brand new)
Because of his level of finance
Imagine the likes of Otedola,Dangotte,top rich executives going for a tokunbo cheesy
Very laughable
His post won't go down well so many here oh

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

How Does The Use Of Car AC Affect Fuel Consumption? / Four Cats And A Snake Found In A Car, Killed (Pictures, Video) / Cars And Stars. First Nigerian Car Show On Dstv Starts Today.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.