Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,506 members, 7,816,213 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:47 AM

Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again - Car Talk (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again (45332 Views)

Why You Should Never Buy Your Car Secretly / The Reason Why That Your Tokunbo Car Keeps Overheating Here In Nigeria / Changing The Radiator Of Your Tokunbo Car From Single Cell To Double Cell (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by oludayo200(m): 2:15pm On Nov 08, 2014
Its a mata of luck
Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by NobleG1(m): 4:48pm On Nov 08, 2014
sonnie10:

I didn't know there were some RAV4s from Germany.

Gernmans don't produce Toyota products like RAV4 but they buy, use and sell them like any other car.

And germans don't ride one particular car long before they sell them. And they maintain their cars superbly, that's why most of their second-hand cars are too clean.

And it's also the only place in Europe you can buy cars very cheap. Imagine, I base in the Netherlands but still buy my cars in Germany.
Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by madubukosaviour(m): 6:14pm On Nov 08, 2014
To me i prefer Tokumbo cars especially the ones from America. I bought my Truck (Tundra) From US last 2years and since then i have not done any major but minor work like services. Am sorry bro for your ugly experience.
Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by collins2gee(m): 6:54pm On Nov 08, 2014
Please advise me, somebody. Is the new tariff on Tokunbo cars in effect ? If so, how much would, say, a " from-the-US Full-option Honda Discussion Continue" Car cost on the average with the new tarrif?

Somebody told me a brand new Hyundai Accent and Elantra cost N1.5M and N1.9M respectively at Hyundai Motors, Nigeria.

If the above is true and new tarrff increases the price of a Honda DC Tokunbo car to almost the same price ( or even higher ) than the Hyundai cars above, which of the two brands would make a longer-lasting, cost effective choice on the average ?

Thanks.
Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by Nobody: 8:15pm On Nov 08, 2014
collins2gee:
Please advise me, somebody. Is the new tariff on Tokunbo cars in effect ? If so, how much would, say, a " from-the-US Full-option Honda Discussion Continue" Car cost on the average with the new tarrif?

Somebody told me a brand new Hyundai Accent and Elantra cost N1.5M and N1.9M respectively at Hyundai Motors, Nigeria.

If the above is true and new tarrff increases the price of a Honda DC Tokunbo car to almost the same price ( or even higher ) than the Hyundai cars above, which of the two brands would make a longer-lasting, cost effective choice on the average ?

Thanks.
not sure about that price. The accent would likely go for 1.9 and the elantra higher. Hyundai's are very good here in Norrh America. Won several awards. I am not too sure about the Hyundai's sold in Nigeria though.
Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by FlyboyZee: 9:34pm On Nov 08, 2014
mrakin:
HOW MUCH IS THE LEAST EXPENSIVE NEW CAR? ... can 1.2m buy a new small car?
YES! You can.
1. Hyundai i10 (Money go still remain for your hand)
2. Kia Picanto (You go still get change)
3. Hyundai Accent (I ain't sure about this one, but it should be in that neighbourhood).
Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by FlyboyZee: 9:57pm On Nov 08, 2014
rolled:
If a brand new car and a tokunbo goes for same amount
Which would you honestly go for?

There is no excuse for anyone spending over a million naira in buying a car. Whoever has at least one million naira to buy a car can always buy a brand new car. The problem is most of us would rather buy a used car than brand new even when we have the money. I don't why, but its something I have always come to notice.

For instance, someone buying a used 2007-2010 Honda Civic for between 2.2 -2.6 million naira could have bought a brand new Toyota Yaris, Honda City, Kia Picanto, Rio, Cerato or Optima, Hyundai i10, Accent, Elantra or Grand, Peugeot 206, Nissan Micra, Almera, Ford Focus, etc, yet chooses to buy the Tokunbo Civic. What do you make of that?

1 Like

Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by jimcykhan: 10:26pm On Nov 08, 2014
Still using my Tokunbo Honda for the past 3 three years and intent changing by January. And frankly speaking I'm going for brand new car. Buying Tokunbos is naija mentality when you can afford brand new
most brand new vehicles comes with warranty, for Tokunbo the warranty had already being enjoyed by the initial owner
Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by danadam(m): 10:42pm On Nov 08, 2014
FlyboyZee:

YES! You can.
1. Hyundai i10 (Money go still remain for your hand)
2. Kia Picanto (You go still get change)
3. Hyundai Accent (I ain't sure about this one, but it should be in that neighbourhood).

the 2014 picanto is far higher than 1.2million. I can give u a pricelist of kia if u want.
Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by Originalsly: 7:39am On Nov 09, 2014
jimcykhan:
Still using my Tokunbo Honda for the past 3 three years and intent changing by January. And frankly speaking I'm going for brand new car. Buying Tokunbos is naija mentality when you can afford brand new
most brand new vehicles comes with warranty, for Tokunbo the warranty had already being enjoyed by the initial owner
Brand new is not always better. I would prefer a (certified) used 2012 Kia/Hyundai/Honda/Toyota made in the US over a brand new 2014 of the same brand and model made in Nigeria or Japan. The safety and quality requirements are much higher by law. I am 99% sure that a brand new car made in Nigeria would not be allowed in the US because it does not meet the required standards. If equally maintained...I am sure a US made 2012 Hyundai Elantra would outlast and definitely out perform one made in Nigeria. I guess this is the reason so manyprefer to buy tokunbo...but sadly....any tokunbo!

2 Likes

Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by ukandi1(m): 7:00am On Nov 10, 2014
megastu:
You bought a Nigerian Used car branded as tokunbo. Its a very common thing in berger and even at the port where you claimed you bought the car.

i fell for this scam big time... Berger people finished me with d toyota hiace 6Y 14 seaters bus i bought from there. 2yrs counting and i am still fixing one or twi things for a tokunbo...them cari me do warm up so others shud thread with caution..
Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by emalekuo(m): 11:36am On Nov 19, 2014
Kpele
Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by Nobody: 12:58pm On Nov 19, 2014
Bros,sorry for ur bad expereince bt tokunbo cars r good,it all depends on d particular one u buy in my house we have used up to 6 tokunbo cars vehicles and dey didn't really give us problems except dos dat were naturally problematic cos dey needed regular and frequent maintainance like our mercedes and again u said ur cousin was using d car ,hw does he use it and to u,how do u use d car,hw mny times do u take it to car wash,how many times do u flush d radiator,how often do u service it and wen u service it do u use d recommended engine oil,do u ensure d spare parts u use r authentic o original and lots more.
Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by Nobody: 1:00pm On Nov 19, 2014
Originalsly:
Brand new is not always better. I would prefer a (certified) used 2012 Kia/Hyundai/Honda/Toyota made in the US over a brand new 2014 of the same brand and model made in Nigeria or Japan. The safety and quality requirements are much higher by law. I am 99% sure that a brand new car made in Nigeria would not be allowed in the US because it does not meet the required standards. If equally maintained...I am sure a US made 2012 Hyundai Elantra would outlast and definitely out perform one made in Nigeria. I guess this is the reason so manyprefer to buy tokunbo...but sadly....any tokunbo!
I tell u USA products in general r always very good
Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by davo3286: 10:06am On Nov 20, 2014
saxywale:

Golf ke. Do you have an idea of how much it cost to buy a new Volkswagen golf.

A brand new VW Golf could cost nothing less than 5 or 6M Naira.
Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by davo3286: 10:07am On Nov 20, 2014
saxywale:

Golf ke. Do you have an idea of how much it cost to buy a new Volkswagen golf.

A brand new VW Golf could cost nothing less than 5 or 6M Naira depending on the spec.
Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by Nobody: 10:49am On Nov 29, 2014
hardbody:

My first car was a Benz 200 that i personally went to Cotonou to pick. I drove it till i gave it out after like 5 years and that was when i did some work on the engine. I bought a Toks Montero American Spec off Berger Cement car sales area, that vehicle is still in my house very useful after more than 5 years of massive usage including inter state movements. The only reason i now use mint vehicles is because the company buys them for me as status vehicles. There is no way in hell i will use 18m to buy a 2013 pajero that was given to me in my former employment or use 8m to buy a ford edge as is the case in my recent job. Good Tokunbo cars still exist. If you do not know what to look out for, take along an experienced mechanic. I spent time acquiring that knowledge and by the time i went to buy, i was asking more meaningful questions and checking out stuff mire than my mechanic. Toks remains a good alternative to the common man. Indeed i have been eyeing this camry as a small car i can buy and be using occasionally.

I plan buying a 2002/2003 Nigerian used benz 230/240 for around 900k...car headaches scare me as hell...whats your take on ds?
Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by hardbody: 11:16am On Nov 29, 2014
drlawizle:

I plan buying a 2002/2003 Nigerian used benz 230/240 for around 900k...car headaches scare me as hell...whats your take on ds?

Nigerian used cars are a No No for me except the owner and user is known to me and i can verify his itinerary with the car. As an example, the guy i bought my bluebird from lived at 1004 flats and worked at the then oceanic bank on ozumba mbadiwe, less than 5 minutes drive. And he was born again kinda person so no mainland parties. I could vouch for his car. So if u have same kind of assurances, you may proceed.otherwise Benz is a strong car anyday but it usually has axle issues only.
Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by Nobody: 11:52am On Nov 29, 2014
hardbody:

Nigerian used cars are a No No for me except the owner and user is known to me and i can verify his itinerary with the car. As an example, the guy i bought my bluebird from lived at 1004 flats and worked at the then oceanic bank on ozumba mbadiwe, less than 5 minutes drive. And he was born again kinda person so no mainland parties. I could vouch for his car. So if u have same kind of assurances, you may proceed.otherwise Benz is a strong car anyday but it usually has axle issues only.

The problem is I dont know anyone personally with such a car around here...but do you think an averagely used benz product of this model is a good buy..
Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by erico2k2(m): 11:55am On Nov 29, 2014
drlawizle:

GO and buy camry instead

1 Like

Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by Nobody: 12:30pm On Nov 29, 2014
erico2k2:

GO and buy camry instead

Camry over benz Dont think so
Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by hardbody: 10:24pm On Nov 29, 2014
drlawizle:

The problem is I dont know anyone personally with such a car around here...but do you think an averagely used benz product of this model is a good buy..

Sorry for the tardiness in my response. Test drive the car, look at the far right end of the brake pedal, is it eroded? Start the car and look at the dashboard. Does all dashboard lights go off within 5 seconds? Bounce off the shocks and if satisfavoĊ•y you may go with it. Be arwl
Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by hardbody: 11:25am On Nov 30, 2014
drlawizle:

6 or 700k max. You will still have a few things to sort out. Check all the points i suggested earlier. More importantly, the engine check. If the lights on the dashboard dont go off in 3 minutes, engine is weak. Secondly, open the bonnet, while the car is idling, put you finger on top of the engine, if it vibrating, the engine is obviously weak or at least the plugs are bad which could lead to other issues. Wish you well bro
Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by Nobody: 11:37am On Nov 30, 2014
hardbody:

6 or 700k max. You will still have a few things to sort out. Check all the points i suggested earlier. More importantly, the engine check. If the lights on the dashboard dont go off in 3 minutes, engine is weak. Secondly, open the bonnet, while the car is idling, put you finger on top of the engine, if it vibrating, the engine is obviously weak or at least the plugs are bad which could lead to other issues. Wish you well bro

Are you saying the car shouldnt be more than 700max?

This is the pix of the car I'm talking aboit oh

Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by hardbody: 12:02pm On Nov 30, 2014
drlawizle:

Are you saying the car shouldnt be more than 700max?

This is the pix of the car I'm talking aboit oh

Car looks good from the exterior. If you are happy to pay N.9mk you may proceed. Sha be careful in checking the car.
Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by Nobody: 1:21pm On Nov 30, 2014
hardbody:

Car looks good from the exterior. If you are happy to pay N.9mk you may proceed. Sha be careful in checking the car.

Just like to view your opinion on the price if I may be able to save cash
Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by hardbody: 7:21pm On Nov 30, 2014
drlawizle:

Just like to view your opinion on the price if I may be able to save cash

Do 800k tops. It is Lagos used.
Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by ukandi1(m): 4:24pm On Dec 31, 2014
drlawizle:

Camry over benz Dont think so

me too
Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by epidi(m): 2:13pm On Jan 04, 2015
please i need advise i want to buy a Toyota Rav4 1999 model,what are the things i need to look out for?
Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by Nobody: 3:04pm On Jan 04, 2015
I hope to get a car soon,but I know next to nothing about cars...really need cool advice,please...you can tell me what's most important in buying a car

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

How Does The Use Of Car AC Affect Fuel Consumption? / Four Cats And A Snake Found In A Car, Killed (Pictures, Video) / Cars And Stars. First Nigerian Car Show On Dstv Starts Today.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.