Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,612 members, 7,816,515 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:29 PM

Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again - Car Talk (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again (45334 Views)

Why You Should Never Buy Your Car Secretly / The Reason Why That Your Tokunbo Car Keeps Overheating Here In Nigeria / Changing The Radiator Of Your Tokunbo Car From Single Cell To Double Cell (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by erico2k2(m): 6:06pm On Nov 07, 2014
idu1:
lol even if na indian TATA na new car......
ahah all those cars get plastic Door card
Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by miqos02(m): 6:08pm On Nov 07, 2014
Eyop:

It has nothing to do with luck. The OP is inexperienced and knows little or nothing about cars and that's why he got into the mess. I will buy a used car over a brand new one depending on the brand.
u are right

2 Likes

Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by christopher123(m): 6:10pm On Nov 07, 2014
erico2k2:

no need to type in upper case, let me ask you a question, do you drive one of these vehicles? Innosson or Kia?

sorry for the use of caps....but why wont i drive these bro? just give me one good reason

1 Like

Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by Nobody: 6:10pm On Nov 07, 2014
TheRainmaker1:
So I decided to buy a car...finally!!! (did somebody say congratulations? Thank you)

I'd been saving towards that end, ever since I moved to Lagos started working, and experienced the horrible conditions of Lagos public transport system.

I couldn't decide whether to go for a 'small' brand new car, or a 'bigger', fairly used (Tokunbo) car. Based on popular advice, I opted for a 'clean' (at least it looked clean to me) Tokunbo Honda Accord "Discussion Continues" from Nigeria Ports Authority (Tin Can Island), Apapa.

However, I've spent a whole lot more than I bargained in fixing one stupid thing or the other in the car; from buying a new battery to replacing one of the fans, filter, wheel balancing & alignment, etc.

The worst part is that I have not even driven my car; haven't even as much as touched the steering wheel of the car; I've been too busy lately, preparing for a professional exam. Only my cousin has been driving it for the past two weeks.

I dont think I'll ever buy a fairly used car again, whether na Naija used, or UK used...if e like, make e be for moon wey dem use am.

Next time, even if na Golf or Picanto my money reach, I'm buying brand new.

Na God go judge all these oyibo people wey go buy brand new car, come use am for several years, then send am come Africa.

Shey we dey forbid brand new cars for Naija?

Golf ke. Do you have an idea of how much it cost to buy a new Volkswagen golf.

1 Like

Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by erico2k2(m): 6:18pm On Nov 07, 2014
christopher123:

sorry for the use of caps....but why wont i drive these bro? just give me one good reason
Ok, please take photos of these cars in real life and come back then I will give you 30 reason why you must not drive these
in the US and EU certain schools would say never buy a new released cars as you might not know what comes with it. Have you been to their factory, seen the safety test? crash test? You dey look am say E fine abi? lol

1 Like

Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by erico2k2(m): 6:18pm On Nov 07, 2014
saxywale:

Golf ke. Do you have an idea of how much it cost to buy a new Volkswagen golf.
He has no Idea.he don't know it might cost up to 5M to land one
Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by christopher123(m): 6:33pm On Nov 07, 2014
erico2k2:

Ok, please take photos of these cars in real life and come back then I will give you 30 reason why you must not drive these
in the US and EU certain schools would say never buy a new released cars as you might not know what comes with it. Have you been to their factory, seen the safety test? crash test? You dey look am say E fine abi? lol

your talking to a man the car is been produced in his village

1 Like

Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by NEROSKY(m): 6:44pm On Nov 07, 2014
MissTeaseMe:

I cldnt have put it better.

sure
Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by NobleG1(m): 7:17pm On Nov 07, 2014
Nothing is wrong in buying a tokumbo car. You only bought a faulty Nigerian used car. The sellers lied to you.

I Bought my woman 2009 RAV4 SUV directly from Germany and she has being enjoying it for 4yrs now without any engine problem whatsoever.

Next time, make sure the car hasn't been used already in Nigeria. Check the papers very well. Go there with a mechanic you know and trust, to check the car before pricing it. And don't fail to test drive it. If you can't test drive it, DON'T buy.

1 Like

Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by 9icetoo(m): 7:17pm On Nov 07, 2014
erico2k2:

It might interest you to know that not all vehicles sold in the US have stellar ratings when it comes to crash tests. There are minimum requirements. Even Kias are sold in the mighty US of A and have received stellar reviews from users. The Korean cars have even started gaining market shares. Some cars are not built these days to retain their rigidity like our trusted old volvos but to crumple on impact and absorb the force of impact transmitting less force to the occupants of the car. Some people see such cars after an impact and say the car was poorly built when in actual fact that was the intended design. Some cars go further by giving you side curtain airbags and all those other supplementary safety systems. Innoson vehicles give you all these and more. Check the different models innoson has to offer and have a look at the safety features. The Korean cars give you these as well. Have you been inside a Hyundai Genesis and read its safety reviews? First releases sure have their problems but that is why you have warranties which a brand new car gives you. If I can afford it, I will buy a brand new car over a Tokunbo. The peace of mind a brand new car gives is a heavenly feeling. Pay and drive off, no need to change batteries, tires, pads, oil, filter, alternator belt, timing belt, water pump (wetin remain for the car?) etc. LOL. And you definitely won't be raped by mechanics just about every other time your Tokunbo car breaks down.
Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by kullozone(m): 7:34pm On Nov 07, 2014
fyneboi79:
‎u sef no vex for d para ,na wetin GEJ dey cos with him bad government grin dats y I want make we comot am make all dis para for stop. no vex my man
haha!!
boss,we kull...enjoy ur ride.
Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by deavicky(m): 8:07pm On Nov 07, 2014
olu77:

A budget for a brand new engine or another tokunbo engine?
my brother help me ask o
Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by fyneboi79(m): 8:32pm On Nov 07, 2014
kullozone:

haha!!
boss,we kull...enjoy ur ride.
correct man!! Nutin do ‎u ,God bless you grin
Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by evesdon4u: 8:59pm On Nov 07, 2014
I'm beginning to suspect the moderators of Nairaland's Forums because I just wonder how this post made it to front page!
Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by iswallker(m): 10:17pm On Nov 07, 2014
TheRainmaker1:

The 'etc' actually covers several other things.
While I admit that they're pretty basic, they do not exactly cost "next to nothing".
Na my small pocket dey feel the heat.[color=#006600][/color]

Am sure u listed the major items first. .so what re u talkin bout...

1 Like

Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by Nobody: 10:45pm On Nov 07, 2014
TheRainmaker1:
So I decided to buy a car...finally!!! (did somebody say congratulations? Thank you)

I'd been saving towards that end, ever since I moved to Lagos started working, and experienced the horrible conditions of Lagos public transport system.

I couldn't decide whether to go for a 'small' brand new car, or a 'bigger', fairly used (Tokunbo) car. Based on popular advice, I opted for a 'clean' (at least it looked clean to me) Tokunbo Honda Accord "Discussion Continues" from Nigeria Ports Authority (Tin Can Island), Apapa.

However, I've spent a whole lot more than I bargained in fixing one stupid thing or the other in the car; from buying a new battery to replacing one of the fans, filter, wheel balancing & alignment, etc.

The worst part is that I have not even driven my car; haven't even as much as touched the steering wheel of the car; I've been too busy lately, preparing for a professional exam. Only my cousin has been driving it for the past two weeks.

I dont think I'll ever buy a fairly used car again, whether na Naija used, or UK used...if e like, make e be for moon wey dem use am.

Next time, even if na Golf or Picanto my money reach, I'm buying brand new.

Na God go judge all these oyibo people wey go buy brand new car, come use am for several years, then send am come Africa.

Shey we dey forbid brand new cars for Naija?

What happened to you was unfortunate.

You were not ready to own a motor vehicle.

If this was truly a rip off then blame your country and countrymen.
Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by Nobody: 10:55pm On Nov 07, 2014
rolled:
If a brand new car and a tokunbo goes for same amount
Which would you honestly go for?

It depends.

I'll take a lease return A8L over a new A4.

But that's just me.

1 Like

Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by mokane28: 10:58pm On Nov 07, 2014
am with you on this ur view
Truckpusher:
Spending some cool millions to buy a tokunbo car is madness........unless somebody you knew that just bought a particular car and decided to sell it due to problems and you're well aware of the history of the car

If you've been disappointed and dissatisfied by a tokunbo car you'll understand me.

I'd rather buy and drive a Kia picanto car than spend money to drive a fairly used range rover sport.
Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by Nobody: 12:23am On Nov 08, 2014
rolled:
Lack of finances makes Nigerians buy tokunbo
If a tokunbo and a brand new was sold for same amount ,pls which will we go for?
We know the answer already
I don't buy tokunbo cars anayway
But there is no where in the world where a brand new car and a toks of the same specification would be sold for same price. Even oyinbo sef they buy used cars very well. I won't be surprised though if a American or EU specs toks cost more than a brand new Nigerian specs. undecided
After-all, it's in Nigeria you would see a brand new car with only one or two airbags. sad
Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by sonnie10: 3:43am On Nov 08, 2014
NobleG1:
Nothing is wrong in buying a tokumbo car. You only bought a faulty Nigerian used car. The sellers lied to you.

I Bought my woman 2009 RAV4 SUV directly from Germany and she has being enjoying it for 4yrs now without any engine problem whatsoever.

Next time, make sure the car hasn't been used already in Nigeria. Check the papers very well. Go there with a mechanic you know and trust, to check the car before pricing it. And don't fail to test drive it. If you can't test drive it, DON'T buy.

I didn't know there were some RAV4s from Germany.
Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by Nobody: 3:52am On Nov 08, 2014
anything tokumbo gives pain
Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by wysdum: 4:28am On Nov 08, 2014
Exponental:
pls dash me d car...lemme save u from mechanic wahala.
Hmmm,i pity you,if you experience it once,you will understand that it isn't easy
Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by pannyman(m): 7:02am On Nov 08, 2014
sonnie10:

I didn't know there were some RAV4s from Germany.
I'm surprised too.
Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by 19naia(m): 7:35am On Nov 08, 2014
Buy new always if you can... If you cannot, save money and expect it to be needed for repairs eventually... The only safe way to buy a used car is to become learned about cars problems and maintaneance.. Then use that to inspect before buying... If you order it unseen, then the risk is always there unless you reduce risk by using an inspection agent..

The other way to buy a Used car tokunbo is to order it from the new car factory affiliated dealer.. They sell Certified Used cars... The certified used cars are inspected fully by the factory certified mechanics and any needed repair is done or the car will not be certified..
The price is higher but less than new and you will have a guarantee that the car will serve you well for many years as long as you upkeep the regular service...
Especially a Honda certified Used car, that will be an excellent purchase... The certified used cars are usually around three years old and some older if they are exceptionally well cared for... But a certified used car will be more expensive but still cheaper than new..
On a honda, its not a waste to buy certified ,but if you have money to buy new and want to keep the car for 10 years or more and do lots of driving, then new is the best..

It can amount to the same cost buying new or used, because the used one will have racked up cost in repairs by the time the new one starts to need its first repair..

Dont invest in a car new or used if you cannot afford to invest in its regular service and future repairs...
I know people who never buy new because they swear by their used cars lasting 5 years with no problems and then seeing some new cars needing major work in 4 years time..

They all have the same basic need for tires and breaks every 3 years if used normally... It doesnt matter new or used, tires and breaks wear down the same... Same with regualr oil change and certain parts per model... Some models need major tune up around 100k miles and others sooner...

The heavy duty and expensive cars are better deals to buy used... BMW 7 series is very expensive new.. Wait 4 or 5 years and buy it used, they price will come down very low but the major components of it will still be tough and ready to go another lifetime with good service..
Range rover is also another expensive one that goes down in price when used for 4-5 years.. Just find one well cared for...
American heavy duty full size pickup trucks are also good to buy used, they have rugged drive train that doesnt go bad easily and they are cheaper in the long run if bought used in good up keep.. Otherwise the American Heavy duty full size pick up trucks are expensive to buy new..

2 Likes

Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by davo3286: 8:27am On Nov 08, 2014
rolled:
Lack of finances makes Nigerians buy tokunbo
If a tokunbo and a brand new was sold for same amount ,pls which will we go for?
We know the answer already
I don't buy tokunbo cars anayway

Guy, it depends on the make, model and year of the cars. For instance, if a grade-1 tokunbo Audi A8 or Mercedes C350 and a brand new Kia of the same year are sold for them amount which will you opt for? As for me, I will surely go for the Audi or Mercedes without looking back. And why do you people make it seem as if Only Nigerians buy used things be it cars or whatever? People buy used stuffs everywhere in the world especially used cars.

The only problem we have here is that we are always penny wise and pound foolish. And we like buying cheap inferior parts. I asked one parts dealer why is it that they don't sell OEM standard quality brand new parts that the other brand new ones don't last and he said the OEM standard quality parts don't move market that we the buyers like the cheap, very low quality parts and that sells like mad.

1 Like

Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by osasmasta(m): 8:36am On Nov 08, 2014
Go for used cars from Germany!

Preorder your cars from Munich. you can reach me on +4915216715481
Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by rolled: 8:56am On Nov 08, 2014
davo3286:

Guy, it depends on the make, model and year of the cars. For instance, if a grade-1 tokunbo Audi A8 or Mercedes C350 and a brand new Kia of the same year are sold for them amount which will you opt for? As for me, I will surely go for the Audi or Mercedes without looking back. And why do you people make it seem as if Only Nigerians buy used things be it cars or whatever? People buy used stuffs everywhere in the world especially used cars.

The only problem we have here is that we are always penny wise and pound foolish. And we like buying cheap inferior parts. I asked one parts dealer why is it that they don't sell OEM standard quality brand new parts that the other brand new ones don't last and he said the OEM standard quality parts don't move market that we the buyers like the cheap, very low quality parts and that sells like mad.
Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by mozemile: 9:07am On Nov 08, 2014
Stunning MBGN runner up, Sandra Ogbebor is representing Nigeria at the Miss Globe World Finals in Albania Eastern Europe. The University of Benin graduate is Nigeria’s Miss Globe 2014 and the only African at the Miss Globe contest 2014 amongst 42 other delegates from all over the world.

The pageant FINALS will take place TODAY November 8th at the Palace of Sports Shkoder – Albania

Top 5 voted Countries:
| Canada with 8858 votes | Nigeria with 8262 votes | Estonia with 3577 votes | Colombia with 2686 votes | Curacao with 2414 votes |

http://themissglobe.com/2014/participants.php#

VOTE NIGERIA SO WE CAN TAKE BACK THE TOP SPOT
Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by Truckpusher(m): 10:10am On Nov 08, 2014
erico2k2:

howmany Air bags has that Kia got?how confffy is it,that car is rubbish trust me.
How about airbags of tokunbo cars that didn't deploy because they're old,obsolete and have stayed beyond their normal operational time frame? undecided
Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by omocheche(f): 11:40am On Nov 08, 2014
olu77:

A budget for a brand new engine or another tokunbo engine?
lol ask am abeg
Re: Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again by erico2k2(m): 1:01pm On Nov 08, 2014
Truckpusher:
How about airbags of tokunbo cars that didn't deploy because they're old,obsolete and have stayed beyond their normal operational time frame? undecided
You fail to realize that cars get tested yearly abroad,moresoe how do you know the expiring date of your Air bag?if your Air bag fails to deploy trust me you Nigerian brother bought and Cat C car shipped it and re packaged the air bag simple.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

How Does The Use Of Car AC Affect Fuel Consumption? / Four Cats And A Snake Found In A Car, Killed (Pictures, Video) / Cars And Stars. First Nigerian Car Show On Dstv Starts Today.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.