Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,414 members, 7,861,164 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 05:08 AM

My First Interview Experience - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / My First Interview Experience (23439 Views)

My Interview Experience With A Banking Firm / My Job Interview Experience Today / Your NNPC Interview Experience (EH & GT) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My First Interview Experience by Nobody: 3:00pm On Nov 10, 2014
booked. brb after reading the post.
Re: My First Interview Experience by darlingnuel(m): 3:12pm On Nov 10, 2014
Very articulate narration and good command of English. I bet, you ought to have been offered that job. Interviews are just 'unfair' ceremonies: sometimes or rather most times, it's not a true test or sincere assessment for job appointments.

3 Likes

Re: My First Interview Experience by Nobody: 3:13pm On Nov 10, 2014
Nice thread. My first job interview was actually for a post of a network administrator in a popular 3 star Hotel.
I was called for the interview on a friday, prior to the interview i didn't eat anything as i was fasting and praying to God for a miracle.
The panel consisted of 3males and 2females, all of them should be in their late 20s or early 30s. I noticed i was being asked too many questions by the male folks while the female folks hardly threw questions at me.
I was dressed to kill though it was still corporate(Imagine me in a shirt and pants) One of my BIGGEST Mistake i guessed was that one of the male interviewer kept looking at me and i didnt know when i involuntarily winked at him, i just noticed he threw his face away and started bombarding me with lots of questions, due to the fact that i was fasting, i couldn't talk much as my mouth was so dry, all i was just doing was licking my lips with my tongue, i guessed they all misinterpreted me, i couldnt have seduced them all na, i was just told by the female interviewer that i would hear from them soon..

Alas!!! the guy who i winked at called me 3weeks after, not for the job though but for an affair which i couldn't resist after-all... tongue tongue tongue

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: My First Interview Experience by clemz88(m): 3:13pm On Nov 10, 2014
Lol nice one.
I remembered also been asked why I made my neck tie short ... ,just imagine as if I have no right to knot tie to my own taste . And I was also Criticized why I wore white stokens ,imagine again what took those bank interviewers to my legs. Bank interview can be so annoying because upon I scaled through and did my documentation yet no call.
Re: My First Interview Experience by Nobody: 3:20pm On Nov 10, 2014
pharuk:
Your first formal interview and you are suddenly an expert?

makes me wonder what seasonal folks who do about 4 interviews a week has to say

why would anyone take 4 interviews in a week?
Re: My First Interview Experience by DEGREE2466(m): 3:22pm On Nov 10, 2014
Op let me give you a better definition of communication because you were actually wrong by using the word "exchange".

Communication can be defined as the transfer of information/message from a source/sender to a receiver/destination through a medium or media.

Their must not be reply of message/information before you can say that communication has taken place. The only cliterion for effective communication is for the receiver to receive and understand the content of the message.

5 Likes

Re: My First Interview Experience by Nobody: 3:22pm On Nov 10, 2014
sexyseun:
Nice thread. My first job interview was actually for a post of a network administrator in a popular 3 star Hotel.
I was called for the interview on a friday, prior to the interview i didn't eat anything as i was fasting and praying to God for a miracle.
The panel consisted of 3males and 2females, all of them should be in their late 20s or early 30s. I noticed i was being asked too many questions by the male folks while the female folks hardly threw questions at me.
I was dressed to kill though it was still corporate(Imagine me in a shirt and pants) One of my BIGGEST Mistake i guessed was that one of the male interviewer kept looking at me and i didnt know when i involuntarily winked at him, i just noticed he threw his face away and started bombarding me with lots of questions, due to the fact that i was fasting, i couldn't talk much as my mouth was so dry, all i was just doing was licking my lips with my tongue, i guessed they all misinterpreted me, i couldnt have seduced them all na, i was just told by the female interviewer that i would hear from them soon..

Alas!!! the guy who i winked at called me 3weeks after, not for the job though but for an affair which i couldn't resist after-all... tongue tongue tongue

Are you kidding me shocked

1 Like

Re: My First Interview Experience by Nobody: 3:23pm On Nov 10, 2014
Typical Nigerian interview.

Mtschewww.

Wearing jacket in that hot tropical country. Asking if I have a girlfriend: in developed countries, this is a violation of privacy rights.

Mtscheww

8 Likes

Re: My First Interview Experience by Nobody: 3:26pm On Nov 10, 2014
sexyseun:

In yankee, after suing that guy and his company for violation of your privacy by calling your number for reasons other than the job, you won't have to look for a job anymore. grin

3 Likes

Re: My First Interview Experience by Acegoals: 3:35pm On Nov 10, 2014
One of the things you should note as well is that when you go for an interview, you should take YOUSELF along. This is because the person being interviewed is YOU and not "10 Ways to ACE that Interview" or "Tactics NOT to Neglect During Interview". All these are to have been practised on your own time and registered in your sub-conscious and they'd not be a problem and it will not make you present yourself as acting out a script.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My First Interview Experience by niggi4life(m): 3:46pm On Nov 10, 2014
sexyseun:

i so much like dis girl sha. In the real world u must be a very intelligent girl.
BTW wat was ur major in the uni/poly?
Re: My First Interview Experience by demolaprof(m): 3:55pm On Nov 10, 2014
Funny and stubborn OP. I wish u success.
Let others come on here and share their ''Corporate'' interview experience so that we can learn.
Re: My First Interview Experience by sucess001(m): 4:04pm On Nov 10, 2014
Bros...how can you have an unironed shirt, a bad shoe and claim to be too "dashing"? you wish. They probably think you have many girlfriends and many troubles to be that disorganised.

on a serious note...do not EVER argue too strongly on an issue you feel strong about in an interview. i once got a job on that point. i had disagreed with someone on the panel but when he started arguing his point, i nodded and stood corrected. i later saw my file when i got employed and saw a note saying.. recomended for employment because he can be corrected and therefore trainable.

Secondly, even if you are nervous and cant do something you normally can, tell them. Admit and put a funny spin to it.

And i think the best way to approach an interview is to tell yourself.."i dont have to get it." or "there will be other opportunitie"

All the best!

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My First Interview Experience by Tobilastik(m): 4:06pm On Nov 10, 2014
Ipledge:
Thank you op,another don't post a very bad picture online using your name

My bio lecture told me about a girl that applied to the department,said he is brilliant and intelligent...after she left her name was typed on Google,lead them to one of her social networking site,there was a picture where she raised her shirt and lower part of her bossom revealing ...she was denied the job she applied for

lwkm ...choi! na hin village pple dy do m oo
Re: My First Interview Experience by Kelklein(m): 4:08pm On Nov 10, 2014
Avictomama:
I had this experience last year and posed it on ma blog. fter reading and laffing over it today, thought i should share. Enjoy grin

? On a lighter note, It is advisable not to look too dashing. I guess I
was cos they were all accusing me of having multiple girlfriends
did u say dashing? With that jalopy shoe you said you put on and that unironed brown shirt.. I'm really confused here.. Are u sure u didn't make all these up!
Re: My First Interview Experience by Tobilastik(m): 4:12pm On Nov 10, 2014
sexyseun:

I don't understand ....do u mean u re now in a relationship with the guy?

1 Like

Re: My First Interview Experience by sparkleboy(m): 4:13pm On Nov 10, 2014
I hope u get the job sha.
Re: My First Interview Experience by eleko1: 4:23pm On Nov 10, 2014
A good eyes opener.Hope those of 'US'that like to twist/lie/copy-cat CV so much learn something from dis piece?Somebody who doesn't knw what microsoft excel/MS words,team playa means will Update the same in CV thinking they won't ask question on dat.

1 Like

Re: My First Interview Experience by Nobody: 4:37pm On Nov 10, 2014
niggi4life:
i so much like dis girl sha. In the real world u must be a very intelligent girl.
BTW wat was ur major in the uni/poly?
lol. Computer Science in a Uni
Re: My First Interview Experience by Nobody: 4:38pm On Nov 10, 2014
Tobilastik:

I don't understand ....do u mean u re now in a relationship with the guy?
since when na we jst had a brief sexual affair
Re: My First Interview Experience by Nobody: 4:44pm On Nov 10, 2014
Tobilastik:

lwkm ...choi! na hin village pple dy do m oo
Lol...na hin paper second wife grin
Re: My First Interview Experience by stanisbaratheon: 4:47pm On Nov 10, 2014
i admire your courage @OP
Re: My First Interview Experience by vosquare: 4:54pm On Nov 10, 2014
u wanna secure a job?

Dz man might be of help grin grin

2 Likes

Re: My First Interview Experience by Tobilastik(m): 4:57pm On Nov 10, 2014
sexyseun:
since when na we jst had a brief sexual affair

yeah! well, u did not lose @ both sides, u no gt job u gt enjoyment ....all z well
Re: My First Interview Experience by Threemg: 4:58pm On Nov 10, 2014
Hmmm
Re: My First Interview Experience by Threemg: 5:08pm On Nov 10, 2014
sucess001:
Bros...how can you have an unironed shirt, a bad shoe and claim to be too "dashing"? you wish. They probably think you have many girlfriends and many troubles to be that disorganised.

on a serious note...do not EVER argue too strongly on an issue you feel strong about in an interview. i once got a job on that point. i had disagreed with someone on the panel but when he started arguing his point, i nodded and stood corrected. i later saw my file when i got employed and saw a note saying.. recomended for employment because he can be corrected and therefore trainable.

Secondly, even if you are nervous and cant do something you normally can, tell them. Admit and put a funny spin to it.

And i think the best way to approach an interview is to tell yourself.."i dont have to get it." or "there will be other opportunitie"

All the best!

"i dont have to get it." or "there will be other opportunities: The Conclusion of the whole Matter! Nice one bro, 3 IDIOTS MOVIE have taught that I need not lie most especially when I'm being Interviewed, All I need is just to be MEEEE!
Re: My First Interview Experience by Harmvirus(f): 5:19pm On Nov 10, 2014
Cool..I've learnt something new
Re: My First Interview Experience by akinsadeez(m): 5:20pm On Nov 10, 2014
sucess001:

And i think the best way to approach an interview is to tell yourself.."i dont have to get it." or "there will be other opportunities"

All the best!

In a way I agree with you and the OP about the 'disagreeing with your interviewer' part but I also think it depends on the kind of job and the kind of person interviewing. Maybe I am saying this because I am a lawyer.

I met a man once, who told me that when interviewing young counsels for employment in his law firm he would always challenge something that the candidate says despite knowing that the candidate is right. He told me categorically that he cannot employ a person who cannot hold his own and challenge him. He said this means that if he (the boss) was doing something wrong in the office or in court, it means such a person would not be able to call him and say 'Sir, I think you might be wrong on this''. In short every interview he looks out for people who will be able to respectfully disagree with him but maintain their point (since they are right)

There are many other people with the same view. What the OP calls stubbornness is actually what some employers are looking for. They want people who will be able to reason differently from the way the interviewer is reasoning, stand on their point but above all, do it with respect. If you just nod meekly and acquiesce, it might be a disadvantage.

The main thing is just for one to be favored. a prayer point might be that God should direct one to argue with the right person and also just nod for the right person. grin

1 Like

Re: My First Interview Experience by sucess001(m): 5:22pm On Nov 10, 2014
akinsadeez:

In a way I agree with you and the OP about the 'disagreeing with your interviewer' part but I also think it depends on the kind of job and the kind of person interviewing. Maybe I am saying this because I am a lawyer.

I met a man once, who told me that when interviewing young counsels for employment in his law firm he would always challenge something that the candidate says despite knowing that the candidate is right. He told me categorically that he cannot employ a person who cannot hold his own and challenge him. He said this means that if he (the boss) was doing something wrong in the office or in court, it means such a person would not be able to call him and say 'Sir, I think you might be wrong on this''. In short every interview he looks out for people who will be able to respectfully disagree with him but maintain their point (since they are right)

There are many other people with the same view. What the OP calls stubbornness is actually what some employers are looking for. They want people who will be able to reason differently from the way the interviewer is reasoning, stand on their point but above all, do it with respect. If you just nod meekly and acquiesce, it might be a disadvantage.

The main thing is just for one to be favored. a prayer point might be that God should direct one to argue with the right person and also just nod for the right person. grin

i am also a lawyer with 8 yrs experience in litigation and corporate practice.

Thats why i said you dont disagree too "strongly". you may express your disagreement but be willing to shift when you have stated your differing view.
Re: My First Interview Experience by Nobody: 5:28pm On Nov 10, 2014
DEGREE2466:
Op let me give you a better definition of communication because you were actually wrong by using the word "exchange".

Communication can be defined as the transfer of information/message from a source/sender to a receiver/destination through a medium or media.

Their must not be reply of message/information before you can say that communication has taken place. The only cliterion for effective communication is for the receiver to receive and understand the content of the message.
I used the word exchange cos i believed that there should b feedback to show that the message had been gotten and understood. The feedback, might be a response or d performance of some action. wat do u think

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

AG Leventis Nigeria Plc Fresh Graduate & Exp. Job Recruitment / LAPO Is Recruiting Personal Assistant To Director And Marketer / 5 Tips To Help You Get A Job Abroad From Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.