Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,676 members, 7,837,502 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 05:33 AM

My First Interview Experience - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / My First Interview Experience (23393 Views)

My Interview Experience With A Banking Firm / My Job Interview Experience Today / Your NNPC Interview Experience (EH & GT) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My First Interview Experience by BeloHorizonte14: 5:30pm On Nov 10, 2014
NairaMode:
Interviews has just five keys to landing them. They are the keys that I use.

1) Be audible
2) Be confident
3) Let all your responses be completely logical and most times be in relation to the position you are applying for.
4) Be very practical
5) Be very very positive.

Quote me or send me an email if you have personal questions or advice.

Let me help with some insights into getting jobs and writing a resume using my own experience.
If you know me, you will agree that I always want to help.

Recruitment Practices in Nigeria: www.nairamode.com/2014/05/general-recruitment-practice-what-you.html?m=1
Getting a job, how easy: www.businessngr..com.es/2014/06/getting-job-in-nigeria-how-easy.html?m=1
Writing a resume: www.businessngr..com.es/2014/06/how-to-write-winning-resume.html?m=1

Read them and drop your comments and also let me get feedbacks.
Sir nairamode thank you so very much for the messages. Sir,i just want to ask: how does one apply for a job he has no experience in (and he wishes to build a career life in that line of job)? Thank you sir.
Re: My First Interview Experience by emecheboy2(m): 5:32pm On Nov 10, 2014
OpYzo:
Yes oh poster this is awesome, that was how I wrote "profficient in microsoft office suites" and yet I trained myself on using MS office. Praise God when I was asked how good I was I stated the fact that I trained myself, thats how the indian man told me to do sums, division etc. on excel, hummm and the last tyme I used excel was 2-3yrs ago, I jst manipulated thank God for some inbuilt features oh. Immediately I got home I changed my Computer skills to Basic microsoft knowledge before I will be asked to draw bar chart on Excel in future-lol.

You dont have need to draw a bar chart, once you have a table of value there's a tool to convert it to bar chart.

1 Like

Re: My First Interview Experience by Nobody: 5:41pm On Nov 10, 2014
Kelklein:

did u say dashing? With that jalopy shoe you said you put on and that unironed brown shirt.. I'm really confused here.. Are u sure u didn't make all these up!

Lol... My dress sense was poor but not obvious. The 'shoeness' of my shoe was not obvious inside the office and my brown shirt was not totally rough even though it was unironed. i rated maself based on d dressing of other interviewees.

But i was looking dashing... not cos of my dress sense but cos i be natural fine boi grin and my hair line was freshly carved and beards shaped on d morning of d interview date. sorry for confusing u.
Re: My First Interview Experience by AbuMikey(m): 6:13pm On Nov 10, 2014
plainmirror:
Reaching the end of a job interview, the
Human Resources Officer asks a young
engineer fresh out of the Massachusetts
Institute of Technology, "And what starting
salary are you looking for?" The engineer
replies, "In the region of $125,000 a year,
depending on the benefits package." The
interviewer replies, "Well, what would you
say to a package of five weeks vacation, 14
paid holidays, full medical and dental,
company matching retirement fund to
50% of salary, and a company car leased
every two years, say, a red Corvette?" The
engineer sits up straight and says, "Wow!
Are you kidding?" The interviewer replies,
"Yeah, but you started it."

This is interesting cheesycheesy

1 Like

Re: My First Interview Experience by Nobody: 6:24pm On Nov 10, 2014
BeloHorizonte14:
Sir nairamode thank you so very much for the messages. Sir,i just want to ask: how does one apply for a job he has no experience in (and he wishes to build a career life in that line of job)? Thank you sir.

There are three ways you can go about that.

1) You can send an unsolicited application to the company requesting for internship.
Your application will have to be clear-cut and presentable and sound.

2) You can visit the coy and ask an audience with the Human Resource or with the MD. Most private firm grants an audience to people requesting to see them.
Do not look desperate when probably meeting with the secretary. Ask that you will like to develop your career and be a giant in that particular line of work and you will just need a professional counsel from them. It is hard but doable. It's a risk.

When you meet with the HR or MD, speak passionately and intelligently not desperately about how you would like to grow in that line of work as an intern, assistant or as the case may be.

3) You could meet with professionals in thy files to get "bullet" ways in which you could join such career part.

1 Like

Re: My First Interview Experience by obienu: 6:47pm On Nov 10, 2014
lol...i remember my first bank interview, i had no jackets..but it went well until d point they said all they had was a marketing role...mumu me then, I turned it down (now don't blame me oooh I was just 3 months outta school, i knew no better & hunger neva wire me then)...the 2nd with another bank...we got to the final screening and they asked if I had a relation working with them..I answered yes...no so dem jabo mi...anyways nice write-up just that I think something is missing which is key - acquire skill, and pray hard to whatever you believe in. After series of interview, I decided to do an Oracle program...(now pls note: im not advertising for anyone oo, and I have not said u must do Oracle too)..after which I realized, some of this subjective things like blue or white shirt isn't too important (now I have not also said wear buba to an interview ooo and emphasis on too, pls look normally good for an interview) rather I realized that when you have skill, (1) you differentiate yourself from most grads i.e. your applications become more focused to a particular job opening (2) your interview is actually more professional i.e. more focused on the skill you have and how you can contribute to the organization and not subjective (e.g. I can't recollect any interview after my program were I was asked what my hobbies are (infact I never put that on my CV)...pls dont also forget the pray hard bit...afterall it's God who gives and blesses those he decides to....all the best pals

5 Likes

Re: My First Interview Experience by smudge2079(m): 6:57pm On Nov 10, 2014
@op u nailed it. I remember how I once lost my cool in an interview sometimes ago. Some of us have dis " I no go gree attitude" mehnnn, to did date am still angry I didn't give d woman d full fergie "hairdryer"
After all is said & done tho, we still gat keep our cool cos it's an interview after all and d interviewer myt just be doing things intentionally to get to see d monster hiding beneath dat suit or jacket.

1 Like

Re: My First Interview Experience by waistaa(f): 7:01pm On Nov 10, 2014
Thank you for the information but what I learnt concerning a question of where I want to be in a firm in the next five years is sitting on the position of the interviewer,meaning he/she will be promoted to a higher level and the same goes for me.I see it as an indirect prayer. Then the issue of thesis writing maybe if you had told someone experienced enough about your interview the person would have reminded you about it. Team player is you doing your bit and covering for someone for the sole aim/goal of that particular project to be achieved,I use football as an example most at times a striker might not be in form or rue chances you see an attcking midfielder coming into play for a goal. Because you want everyone doing his or her bits doesn't mean a striker can't drop to the defense when an opponent takes a corner.I just hope you understand my explanations.thank you once again

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: My First Interview Experience by Nobody: 7:06pm On Nov 10, 2014
Great post. You are good looking bro, plus you have an interesting personality as far as i can tell from your writings. So yeah its easy to see why they want to conclude --albeit mistaken-- that you have multiple gfs.
Re: My First Interview Experience by PDF: 7:13pm On Nov 10, 2014
Where do u see urself in 5years?

November, 2019! Period!

4 Likes

Re: My First Interview Experience by kazmanbanjoko(m): 7:38pm On Nov 10, 2014

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My First Interview Experience by franklin000(m): 8:11pm On Nov 10, 2014
The last interview i attended just last weekend in Port Harcourt was not a sweet memory. The first question was 'tell me about your self' another was who gave birth to you 'i wondered why adults will be asking a fellow adult such a question' i answered (my mum and dad) . All through the interview session i was just uneasy and shaking inside me that the interviewer had to tell me to calm down. After the interview i knew i did not do well because i latter remembered better answers to most of their questions. All through that day i felt unhappy. But did i regret ever going there? No, i didnt cause i learnt a huge lesson there. That's my experience.

1 Like

Re: My First Interview Experience by Lawstudent: 9:01pm On Nov 10, 2014
akinsadeez:

In a way I agree with you and the OP about the 'disagreeing with your interviewer' part but I also think it depends on the kind of job and the kind of person interviewing. Maybe I am saying this because I am a lawyer.

I met a man once, who told me that when interviewing young counsels for employment in his law firm he would always challenge something that the candidate says despite knowing that the candidate is right. He told me categorically that he cannot employ a person who cannot hold his own and challenge him. He said this means that if he (the boss) was doing something wrong in the office or in court, it means such a person would not be able to call him and say 'Sir, I think you might be wrong on this''. In short every interview he looks out for people who will be able to respectfully disagree with him but maintain their point (since they are right)

There are many other people with the same view. What the OP calls stubbornness is actually what some employers are looking for. They want people who will be able to reason differently from the way the interviewer is reasoning, stand on their point but above all, do it with respect. If you just nod meekly and acquiesce, it might be a disadvantage.

The main thing is just for one to be favored. a prayer point might be that God should direct one to argue with the right person and also just nod for the right person. grin
Can I talk to you sir? Am a law student. Here is my email vkndu@yahoo.com

Or give me alternative means of contact.
Thanks
Re: My First Interview Experience by walad4yhu(m): 9:50pm On Nov 10, 2014
sexyseun:
since when na we jst had a brief sexual affair

sexyseun:

grin cheesy
Re: My First Interview Experience by BeloHorizonte14: 10:34pm On Nov 10, 2014
NairaMode:

There are three ways you can go about that.

1) You can send an unsolicited application to the company requesting for internship.
Your application will have to be clear-cut and presentable and sound.

2) You can visit the coy and ask an audience with the Human Resource or with the MD. Most private firm grants an audience to people requesting to see them.
Do not look desperate when probably meeting with the secretary. Ask that you will like to develop your career and be a giant in that particular line of work and you will just need a professional counsel from them. It is hard but doable. It's a risk.

When you meet with the HR or MD, speak passionately and intelligently not desperately about how you would like to grow in that line of work as an intern, assistant or as the case may be.

3) You could meet with professionals in thy files to get "bullet" ways in which you could join such career part.
Thank you very much sir. I appreciate your elderly counsel. Sir please forgive my naivty: how does one prepare for a company's job advert that says submit C.V. in person? Thank you sir.
Re: My First Interview Experience by Nobody: 10:43pm On Nov 10, 2014
BeloHorizonte14:
Thank you very much sir. I appreciate your elderly counsel. Sir please forgive my naivty: how does one prepare for a company's job advert that says submit C.V. in person? Thank you sir.

To correct number 3. I meant you could meet with professionals in your field.

To submit and application in person only means one thing. They do not want to go through the stress of a rigorous recruitment process so they want to judge on the spot your look, your dressing, your mannersim, your confidence, your resume and probably a couple of questions.

Make sure you look presentable, smile and have a well written resume.
Also try and research about the company and the role you are applying for.
Re: My First Interview Experience by Chinoble(f): 10:44pm On Nov 10, 2014
Following patiently.......
Re: My First Interview Experience by Chinoble(f): 10:52pm On Nov 10, 2014
PDF:
Where do u see urself in 5years?

November, 2019! Period!

lol............like dis one(added to d list of my future interview question answers).
....waitin patiently for more.....
Re: My First Interview Experience by passe(m): 2:53am On Nov 11, 2014
[quote author=Avictomama post=27853872]I had this experience last year and posed it on ma blog. fter reading and laffing over it today, thought i should share. Enjoy grin

[color=#000099]

Lastly, how do you answer the question of 'where do you hope to be in the next five years?' I tried playing smart but 'them no gree'. I told them that I hoped to be contributing to organisational goals at a higher level. They told me to be specific and I replied that I hope to have gotten two promotions in five years time. What do you think of that answer? Also, what is the best reply to this question?

From the little experience i have gotten over the years. The best way to answer a question of this nature is to say that " I hope to have learnt so much and become more professional in my job,be able to have successfully passed about 3 or more professional courses and finally finished my MBA in XXXXX"
This way all your answers are tailored towards developing yourself professionally and they are all specific and also quantifiable.
Re: My First Interview Experience by DEGREE2466(m): 5:36am On Nov 11, 2014
Avictomama:

I used the word exchange cos i believed that there should b feedback to show that the message had been gotten and understood. The feedback, might be a response or d performance of some action. wat do u think

you are right. Yea there is going to be a "response" or "reaction" from the receiver to show that he received the message but yet that could not be regarded as "exchange" in the real sense.

Your interviewers understood what you mean by the word "exchange" but to them it seems inappropriate to use in defining communication.

Guess you know that there are many means and ways of communication.

So please in case of next time if they correct you, try and use another language that can replace what you first used to avoid unnecessary argument.
Re: My First Interview Experience by Nobody: 9:28am On Nov 11, 2014
very funny!

Re: My First Interview Experience by fpeter(f): 9:40am On Nov 11, 2014
pharuk:
Your first formal interview and you are suddenly an expert?

makes me wonder what seasonal folks who do about 4 interviews a week has to say

What a sore spot you are...........BTW it is "SEASONED" not seasonal
Re: My First Interview Experience by Natasha2(f): 10:24am On Nov 11, 2014
Very funny grin Thanks for sharing.
Re: My First Interview Experience by Nobody: 10:42am On Nov 11, 2014
plainmirror:
Reaching the end of a job interview, the
Human Resources Officer asks a young
engineer fresh out of the Massachusetts
Institute of Technology, "And what starting
salary are you looking for?" The engineer
replies, "In the region of $125,000 a year,
depending on the benefits package." The
interviewer replies, "Well, what would you
say to a package of five weeks vacation, 14
paid holidays, full medical and dental,
company matching retirement fund to
50% of salary, and a company car leased
every two years, say, a red Corvette?" The
engineer sits up straight and says, "Wow!
Are you kidding?" The interviewer replies,
"Yeah, but you started it."
hahhahahaha grin... this got me laughing!
Re: My First Interview Experience by Cashio(m): 11:44am On Nov 11, 2014
does one stand a chance of getting employed when he/she is above 30yrs?
Re: My First Interview Experience by Neldrizzy(m): 12:41pm On Nov 11, 2014
sexyseun:
you mean the guy "fucck" you?? lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: My First Interview Experience by obienu: 12:46pm On Nov 11, 2014
[quote author=passe post=27904581][/quote]
agree...the only answer to that question, where do you see yourself in X years, is to talk about how you intend to develop yourself professionally...I would say never talk of how you want to have gotten promotions and moved up the ladder within the organization...cos it might just be that the organization interviewing you is fairly flat (and most are these days) and may think ooh in 3 yrs time if he hasn't gotten a promo then what next?....again the safest and most professional answer is talk about your intentions to advance yourself professionally
Re: My First Interview Experience by BeloHorizonte14: 2:33pm On Nov 11, 2014
NairaMode:

To submit and application in person only means one thing. They do not want to go through the stress of a rigorous recruitment process so they want to judge on the spot your look, your dressing, your mannersim, your confidence, your resume and probably a couple of questions.

Thank you so much very Sir for this enlightenment . I almost goofed it. The position I am applying for is a 'graduate trainee' and as for the finding out what the company is all about: the medium of communicating the vacancy (a newspaper) didnt say much about the company other than the the address and Email of the company. What can i do about it sir? Thank you Sir.
Re: My First Interview Experience by BeloHorizonte14: 2:45pm On Nov 11, 2014
NairaMode:

wow! I almost goofed it. Thank you very much Sir. Sir,the position I am applying for is a 'graduate trainee' and the medium of which the job vacancy was communicated (the Guardian newspaper) didnt say much about the company other than the address and Email of the company. What can i do sir? Thank you.
Re: My First Interview Experience by scarr: 4:12pm On Nov 11, 2014
soldierdollar:

Sorry , they caught u off guard . A tea.m player should work with all kinds of people irrespective if their personal differences . ability of u to interact , work ,socialize with all kinds of people who might be meek , stubborn , lazy makes u a team player .
Did u deny having a girlfriend? If yes, it means you cannot mix with the female folk easily . such job demands fluency and ability to meet , talk and convince the female folks . your denial means you have non of these qualities . That was a trap question they normally ask .
so because I don't have a gf it means I can't meet, talk and convince female folks undecided doesn't make sense angry
Re: My First Interview Experience by eminex(m): 5:05pm On Nov 11, 2014
My Engineering Job Interview This Morning

@Op am really grateful for this writeup cos I had my own share of it today. I read it on my way for an interview. The interviewer is an Indian (this people are so broad in knowledge of what they do. they re jus so good). I appreciate the part where u stated one has to be himself. I applied that to the very last minute & that made me feel confident & calm. I also did a mental recollection of my project & true to it I was asked about it & I gave a thorough description of it. He asked me questions ranging from my area of specialization to other related departments. I was given papers to draw operational diagrams. it was like project defence & all that.
Thank God I remembered most of what I was asked & the one I wasn't sure of the answers, he told me to say I don't know it because in industrial practicality there is no guessing things.
Thanks Op

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

5 Tips To Help You Get A Job Abroad From Nigeria / 5 Ways You Should Research Employers Before Any Interview / Over 60,000 Candidates Sit For NNPC Test

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.