Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,689 members, 7,816,812 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:43 PM

Is Rakim The Greatest Rapper Of All Time? - Rap Battles (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Rap Battles / Is Rakim The Greatest Rapper Of All Time? (10251 Views)

ATTN: Nairaland's Greatest Rapper 2008 / Greatest Rapper On Nairaland Volume Two(group Tournament) / Rap Tournament: Greatest Rapper On Nairaland (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Rakim The Greatest Rapper Of All Time? by Djicemob: 11:29am On Nov 11, 2014
ELYMAXiimus:
That dude saying lil-lame is the greatest must be high on cow sh1t...
grin High on mainstream garbage i guess.

1 Like

Re: Is Rakim The Greatest Rapper Of All Time? by Djicemob: 11:30am On Nov 11, 2014
kr0ne:

Yes, and as at the time he dropped this Em was nobody
Em was taking notes grin
Re: Is Rakim The Greatest Rapper Of All Time? by Iceskidd(m): 3:26pm On Nov 11, 2014
Na rakim lyrics una con show us here? Coogar you don see this thread?
Re: Is Rakim The Greatest Rapper Of All Time? by Djicemob: 7:13pm On Nov 11, 2014
Iceskidd:
Na rakim lyrics una con show us here? Coogar you don see this thread?
Even coogar wouldnt fault the god MC's lyrics.
Re: Is Rakim The Greatest Rapper Of All Time? by coogar: 7:14pm On Nov 11, 2014
Djicemob:
Even coogar wouldnt fault the god MC's lyrics.

rakim is nice but eminem is better....
Re: Is Rakim The Greatest Rapper Of All Time? by Djicemob: 7:17pm On Nov 11, 2014
coogar:

rakim is nice but eminem is better....
Eminem took notes when Rakim was kickin it.

1 Like

Re: Is Rakim The Greatest Rapper Of All Time? by kr0ne(m): 7:58pm On Nov 11, 2014
Djicemob:
Seconded!
Re: Is Rakim The Greatest Rapper Of All Time? by Ibime(m): 8:01pm On Nov 11, 2014
Rakim inspired the mind . . . rappers stopped rapping about parties etc.

But Kool G Rap and Big Daddy Kane changed the game. They were the first to start using multis.
Re: Is Rakim The Greatest Rapper Of All Time? by coogar: 8:15pm On Nov 11, 2014
Djicemob:

messi took notes when batistuta was kicking it. ronaldo took notes when figo kicked it. who is deemed greater today in those analogies.

rakim himself said eminem would have been the greatest if he was black. that's enough compliment for a white boy. see beyond the skin colour & recognise the skills.
Re: Is Rakim The Greatest Rapper Of All Time? by Djicemob: 8:22pm On Nov 11, 2014
The New York Times '​ Ben Ratliff wrote that Rakim's "unblustery rapping developed the form beyond the flat-footed rhythms of schoolyard rhymes". While many rappers developed their technique through improvisation, Rakim was one of the first to demonstrate advantages of a writerly style, as with for instance his pioneering use of internal rhymes and multisyllabic rhymes Unlike previous rappers such as LL Cool J , KRS-One , and Run-D.M.C. , who delivered their vocals with high energy, Rakim employed a relaxed, stoic delivery. According to MTiV, "We'd been used to MCs like Run and DMC, Chuck D and KRS-One leaping on the mic shouting with energy and irreverence, but Rakim took a methodical approach to his microphone fiending. He had a slow flow, and every line was blunt, mesmeric." Rakim's relaxed delivery resulted from his jazz influences; he had played the saxophone and was a John Coltrane fan.

The rappers who have used the unique rapping
style employed by Rakim and attribute it as inspiration
include GZA , Ghostface Killah, and Raekwon (from the Wu-
Tang Clan ), Tupac , Nas, Kool G. Rap, Jay-Z , The Notorious
B.I.G. , Eminem, and many more.

3 Likes

Re: Is Rakim The Greatest Rapper Of All Time? by coogar: 8:29pm On Nov 11, 2014
Rakim on Eminem:

”Eminem is nasty man, I don’t care what color he is. I don’t care about none of that nahmean? Real artists respect real artist’s man. Especially like a conscious artist that sits down and writes and hears another artist that sits down and does his writing…and he know…a brother nasty.

Regardless, you can’t take nothing away from his thoughts and his pen, nahmean? Em is nasty man, I tell people to this day… if Em was black…he’d be the next Muhammad Ali man.”

this is the biggest respect a nigga can give a white boy.

1 Like

Re: Is Rakim The Greatest Rapper Of All Time? by Djicemob: 8:32pm On Nov 11, 2014
coogar:

messi took notes when batistuta was kicking it. ronaldo took notes when figo kicked it. who is deemed greater today in those analogies.

rakim himself said eminem would have been the greatest if he was black. that's enough compliment for a white boy. see beyond the skill colour & recognise the skills.
Kendrick took notes when Em was kickin it.He(kendrick) is acclaimed as one of the best in present time.With your illustration,can we say that Kdot is better than Em?
Re: Is Rakim The Greatest Rapper Of All Time? by coogar: 8:37pm On Nov 11, 2014
Djicemob:
Kendrick took notes when Em was kickin it.He(kendrick) is acclaimed as one of the best in present time.With your illustration,can we say that Kdot is better than Em?

kendrick? na yam?
what's kendrick's pedigree? the west side just wanted a face since they have had no ace since 2pac died and they started bigging up kendrick.

kendrick can't even best the slaughterhouse nuccas, let alone eminem. he's nice but abeg, his lyrics don't move me. the best he's done is his BET cypher. at his age, eminem was breaking barriers of race, culture & writing skills.
Re: Is Rakim The Greatest Rapper Of All Time? by Djicemob: 8:49pm On Nov 11, 2014
coogar:

kendrick? na yam?
what's kendrick's pedigree? the west side just wanted a face since they have had no ace since 2pac died and they started bigging up kendrick.

kendrick can't even best the slaughterhouse nuccas, let alone eminem. he's nice but abeg, his lyrics don't move me. the best he's done is his BET cypher. at his age, eminem was breaking barriers of race, culture & writing skills.
Am not saying Kdot is the best,i drew my inferences from your analogy.Beside k is just getting started. However,I give Eminem plenty of respect. He is a great emcee.
He's definitely top 5. But if you're trying to compare him to Rakim...sorry, that's a lost cause. Rakim is, at the absolute worst, top 2 emcee.There is not one single individual in the history of any of the four elements of hip hop who has been more influential than him.

1 Like

Re: Is Rakim The Greatest Rapper Of All Time? by coogar: 8:56pm On Nov 11, 2014
Djicemob:
Am not saying Kdot is the best,i drew my inferences from your analogy.Beside k is just getting started. However,I give Eminem plenty of respect. He is a great emcee.
He's definitely top 5 or he's borderline top 10. But if you're trying to compare him to Rakim...sorry, that's a
lost cause.

eminem is in the top-2 and i would put canibus in that top 2 as well. they were the ones that really changed the face of rap. all those whorë worshipping, jewellery idolising and champagne popping rappers are clueless.

Rakim is, at the absolute worst, top 2 emcee.
There is not one single individual in the history of any of the four elements of hip hop who has been more influential than him.

rakim gets mentioned cos he is one of the pioneers, but his reign ends there. he would be lucky to be in my top-10. biggie & 2pac easily subdued rakim & when biggie was the king of the entire east coast, rakim was flipping bürgers in macdonalds.

1 Like

Re: Is Rakim The Greatest Rapper Of All Time? by Djicemob: 2:23am On Nov 12, 2014
coogar:

eminem is in the top-2 and i would put canibus in that top 2 as well. they were the ones that really changed the face of rap. all those whorë worshipping, jewellery idolising and champagne popping rappers are clueless.

rakim gets mentioned cos he is one of the pioneers, but his reign ends there. he would be lucky to be in my top-10. biggie & 2pac easily subdued rakim & when biggie was the king of the entire east coast, rakim was flipping bürgers in macdonalds.
So basically you are saying Em is better than Rakim Allah? Even Em would laugh at that line.Wetin person no go hear for NL,If marley marl and all them real hiphop pioneers were nairalanders they'd be laughing their azz off by now. grin

No doubt Em is good but we are talking of A man that set the precedence for all rappers before and after him, alive or dead. His flow, delivery, subject matter, content, patterns, syllables, metering (poetic skills) and many more attributes are second to none, especially at a time when no one else was doing it. Its easy for rappers after him to claim greatness but they had a blue print to follow.He set a standard for rap that even todays rappers have not yet matched...and that was 1986.Ra is indeed a true rapgod.

2 Likes

Re: Is Rakim The Greatest Rapper Of All Time? by kr0ne(m): 6:24am On Nov 12, 2014
Djicebomb, you would find it much easier making a camel pass through the eye of a needle than bend Coogar's opinion on this issue. He has deliberately refused to listen to Ra's tracks or at least, read his lyrics.
This is not even a debate, comb around every rap blogs and sites...cats will always place Ra as oga at the top. If Em is a multi king, then Ra is a multi god. To me, he's in no top 2, there's just him in the first spot.
If Eminem must be in my top 5 he'd share that spot with Pharaoh Monche, Cage, Black Thought, Vinnie Paz and Jigga. Talib, Nas, Kool G Rap and Common are his seniors
Re: Is Rakim The Greatest Rapper Of All Time? by Djicemob: 7:20am On Nov 12, 2014
kr0ne:
Djicebomb, you would find it much easier making a camel pass through the eye of a needle than bend Coogar's opinion on this issue. He has deliberately refused to listen to Ra's tracks or at least, read his lyrics.
This is not even a debate, comb around every rap blogs and sites...cats will always place Ra as oga at the top. If Em is a multi king, then Ra is a multi god. To me, he's in no top 2, there's just him in the first spot.
If Eminem must be in my top 5 he'd share that spot with Pharaoh Monche, Cage, Black Thought, Vinnie Paz and Jigga. Talib, Nas, Kool G Rap and Common are his seniors
He(coog) is in too deep on that stan ish to go back obviously,even when hit in the face with the truth. grin

The bolded are truly his seniors.
Re: Is Rakim The Greatest Rapper Of All Time? by GIYAZZ(m): 1:08pm On Nov 12, 2014
acenazt:
Example of A Rapper's Lyrics
Grinding Verse 1 - Lil Wayne:
I'm grindin', I'm grindin', I'm grindin' I promise
I Bleep her until I get tired, retire and then come
out retirement
My girl like it rough she said "find me a diamond"
Her body be grindin',
Lord we be on every kind of narcotic
That make us believe, when we lyin', we honest, I
love you
Pick, Michael Jackson to Jordan to Tyson to
Myers
Too much dirty money when the colors
Are washing the whites in the dryer my nigga
It ain't rocket science just rockets
I sleep in pussy not pajamas, grindin'
I got this shit down to a science, I turn in my
project, A minus
Whew, I ain't crazy, I'm krazy and all of my
niggas chaotic
Dressed in all black like they gothic
Music too loud to hear sirens, we pop, pop, pop
up where you stay
Knock, knock, knock, anyone home?
Pop, pop, pop, pop then we outtie
I need a bitch like Naomi to take off her clothes.

example of an MC's lyrics.
immortal Technique's 2nd verse on The 4Th Branch.
Flow like the blood of Abraham through the Jews
and the Arabs
Broken apart like a woman's heart, abused in a
marriage
The brink of holy war, bottled up, like a
miscarriage
Embedded correspondents don't tell the source of
the tension
And they refuse to even mention, European
intervention
Or the massacres in Jenin, the innocent screams
U.S. manufactured missles, and M-16's
Weapon contracts and corrupted American
dreams
Media censorship, blocking out the video screens
A continent of oil kingdoms, bought for a bargain
Democracy is just a word, when the people are
starvin'
The average citizen, made to be, blind to the
reason
A desert full of genocide, where the bodies are
freezin'
And the world doesn't believe that you fightin' for
freedom
Cause you bleeped the Middle East, and gave birth
to a demon
It's open season with the CIA, bugging my crib
Trapped in a ghetto region like a Palestinian kid
Where nobody gives a Bleep whether you die or
you live
I'm tryin' to give the truth, and I know the price is
my life
But when I'm gone they'll sing a song about
Immortal Technique
Who beheaded the President, and the princes and
sheiks
You don't give a Bleep about us, I can see through
your facade
Like a fallen angel standing in the presence of
God
Bitch niggaz scared of the truth, when it looks at
you hard.
My friend shut up!
Re: Is Rakim The Greatest Rapper Of All Time? by acenazt: 10:23pm On Nov 12, 2014
GIYAZZ:
My friend shut up!
first of all I aint ur friend and you have no right whatsoever to tell me to shut up you moronic gay.
Re: Is Rakim The Greatest Rapper Of All Time? by ELYMAXiimus(m): 6:05pm On Nov 13, 2014
eminem is by far better than this rakim y'all hailing....

Cos he started before em doesnt make him better... Rakim is oldskul... The game's changed nd improved........

Y'all gotta get things straight! Becos someone started something doesnt mean he/she will forever be the best....
Eminem came in nd silenced them all!!!
It's not how far, it's how well!!!

Screw mainstream! Em's lyrics nd rakim's are no where close to be compared at all!

I've been studying both emcees for the past few days.... Rakim is good but em is far better!!!
Re: Is Rakim The Greatest Rapper Of All Time? by 007Bruce: 6:18pm On Nov 13, 2014
acenazt:
first of all I aint ur friend and you have no right whatsoever to tell me to shut up you moronic gay.
cold
Re: Is Rakim The Greatest Rapper Of All Time? by ELYMAXiimus(m): 6:21pm On Nov 13, 2014
GIYAZZ:
My friend shut up!
that guy deserves a hot slap!
Re: Is Rakim The Greatest Rapper Of All Time? by ELYMAXiimus(m): 6:55pm On Nov 13, 2014
acenazt:
Bros Rakim is no way the greatest rapper of all time. that should be lil Wayne. Rakim defined Flow and Rhyming and gave Hip Hop a new meaning but their are doper More lyrical rappers out there who will floor that man. Rakim isn't a Rapper he is an MC. and even in the class of MC's the likes Of Immortal Technique,Vinnie Paz,Dead Prez,Pharaoe Monch,Eminem,Nas,Jay Z,B.I.G,Tupac,Chino Xl,Cannibus,Copywright,J.Cole,Kendrick Lamar and the many other MC's I fail to mention will Basically floor him.
bros, nothing personal. but e dey do me like sey make i deep my hand inside my screen, give you slap wey go reschedule your thinking department.....
Re: Is Rakim The Greatest Rapper Of All Time? by 007Bruce: 7:18pm On Nov 13, 2014
ELYMAXiimus:

bros, nothing personal. but e dey do me like sey make i deep my hand inside my screen, give you slap wey go reschedule your thinking department.....
spiritual
Re: Is Rakim The Greatest Rapper Of All Time? by Nobody: 8:06pm On Nov 13, 2014
Rakim And Em..Biko Explain How Rakim Is Better Than Em Fest...Before I Talk?
Re: Is Rakim The Greatest Rapper Of All Time? by Nobody: 7:35am On Nov 14, 2014
SuperSauce:
Rakim And Em..Biko Explain How Rakim Is Better Than Em Fest...Before I Talk?

its a matter of preference .....
Eminem is ffucking ddope...but there are some things I don't like bout' his style.....his flow for example...I like emcees with fluid,smooth flow... I hate especially when Eminem's does that High Pitch thing and fake corny accent
Re: Is Rakim The Greatest Rapper Of All Time? by Nobody: 7:37am On Nov 14, 2014
ELYMAXiimus:

but Kendrick Lamar is the best Now...minus the veterans....Kendrick is the best among his peers
/new age emcees ....his flow...metas....wordies are sick....
Re: Is Rakim The Greatest Rapper Of All Time? by Nobody: 7:43am On Nov 14, 2014
ELYMAXiimus:

Cos he started before em doesnt make him better... Rakim is oldskul... The game's changed nd improved........

Y'all gotta get things straight! Becos someone started something doesnt mean he/she will forever be the best....

Screw mainstream! Em's lyrics nd rakim's are no where close to be compared at all!

I've been studying both emcees for the past few days.... Rakim is good but em is far better!!!

can you relate to Eminem's lyricism? all his mum ish ..drugs....etc.... do you feel and can relate to it? .....cos I don't ....

1 Like

Re: Is Rakim The Greatest Rapper Of All Time? by ELYMAXiimus(m): 8:45am On Nov 14, 2014
Darkrebel:

can you relate to Eminem's lyricism? all his mum ish ..drugs....etc.... do you feel and can relate to it? .....cos I don't ....

have you listened to "monster"?....
Re: Is Rakim The Greatest Rapper Of All Time? by kr0ne(m): 8:45am On Nov 14, 2014
ELYMAXiimus:

Na there u lie! Try removing sentiments while reading their lyrics. Start with the one Djicebomb posted. Rakim rhymed everything!!
Re: Is Rakim The Greatest Rapper Of All Time? by Nobody: 8:47am On Nov 14, 2014
ELYMAXiimus:

i've you listened to "monster"?....

lol....since .... not its not all Eminem's song I feel .... but his battle verses.freestyles. .. his flow in his songs is what I don't really enjoy bout his verses....

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Calling All Female Battle Rappers:Come Battle (Holla At Cray).and battle 2fine4u / "Star Warz Re-loaded". . . Battle Of The Illest (Shaz) / Top 5 Lyricists Of Nairaland.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.