Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,725 members, 7,816,979 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:03 PM

Is Rakim The Greatest Rapper Of All Time? - Rap Battles (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Rap Battles / Is Rakim The Greatest Rapper Of All Time? (10253 Views)

ATTN: Nairaland's Greatest Rapper 2008 / Greatest Rapper On Nairaland Volume Two(group Tournament) / Rap Tournament: Greatest Rapper On Nairaland (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Rakim The Greatest Rapper Of All Time? by ELYMAXiimus(m): 8:49am On Nov 14, 2014
kr0ne:

Na there u lie! Try removing sentiments while reading their lyrics. Start with the one Djicebomb posted. Rakim rhymed everything!!
go listen to "survival"
Re: Is Rakim The Greatest Rapper Of All Time? by ELYMAXiimus(m): 9:11am On Nov 14, 2014
Darkrebel:

lol....since .... not its not all Eminem's song I feel .... but his battle verses.freestyles. .. his flow in his songs is what I don't really enjoy bout his verses....
that's you..... Eminem is very intelligent. This is what got him to mainstream in the first place... Not cos dr dre helped him...

He's the most versatile rapper of all time... There's no genre he hasnt flowed to.. Except gospel, of cos!

You don't feel his flow? With his high pitched voice? Smh rappers envy him for this...

Eminem had won several battles before even becoming a bit popular that they started recording his brawls nd puting them on youtube....
Re: Is Rakim The Greatest Rapper Of All Time? by Nobody: 9:50am On Nov 14, 2014
ELYMAXiimus:

that's you..... Eminem is very intelligent. This is what got him to mainstream in the first place... Not cos dr dre helped him...

He's the most versatile rapper of all time... There's no genre he hasnt flowed to.. Except gospel, of cos!

You don't feel his flow? With his high pitched voice? Smh rappers envy him for this...

Eminem had won several battles before even becoming a bit popular that they started recording his brawls nd puting them on youtube....

no doubt....Eminem is my favourite Rapper... No.1

what am trying to say is....in some aspects some rappers Are actually superior....
like flow....Eminem's flow is not that top notch....who envies high pitched voice? lol ...makes one sounds like a pussssy ....I like rappers with smooth fluid flow... go listen to Ibime song--Exhibit ..it has Jay z's fingerprints all over it ..layback flow..very cool and fresh....grin
Re: Is Rakim The Greatest Rapper Of All Time? by Nobody: 9:55am On Nov 14, 2014
Elymaxiimus ....another rapper with a type of flow I like is Big L ...ferocious...fluid ..
Re: Is Rakim The Greatest Rapper Of All Time? by ELYMAXiimus(m): 11:01am On Nov 14, 2014
Darkrebel:

no doubt....Eminem is my favourite Rapper... No.1

what am trying to say is....in some aspects some rappers Are actually superior....
like flow....Eminem's flow is not that top notch....who envies high pitched voice? lol ...makes one sounds like a pussssy ....I like rappers with smooth fluid flow... go listen to Ibime song--Exhibit ..it has Jay z's fingerprints all over it ..layback flow..very cool and fresh....grin
mhen, see hype.. So bis flows better than em? grin...

Mhen i go like get fans like this for here o... grin

btw i hav'nt heard this particular track of his.. Pls post a download link to it....

Nd eminem can go loud nd cool... He changes hes tempo depending on the kyna song he's doing...

He doesnt flow like every other rapper. His flow's unique!
Nd it ain't easy to mimic...
Unlike jay-z nd the rest....
Re: Is Rakim The Greatest Rapper Of All Time? by Nobody: 11:11am On Nov 14, 2014
ELYMAXiimus:

mhen, see hype.. So bis flows better than em? grin...

Mhen i go like get fans like this for here o... grin

btw i hav'nt heard this particular track of his.. Pls post a download link to it....

Nd eminem can go loud nd cool... He changes hes tempo depending on the kyna song he's doing...

He doesnt flow like every other rapper. His flow's unique!
Nd it ain't easy to mimic...
Unlike jay-z nd the rest....

lol ..Jay z's flow is hard... he is the master of flow..fast or slow...you don't know Hova at all....his wordplays are crazy/ metas

go listen to the former jay z not this one that is just releasing songs for the fun of it...he used to flow fast...he and busta rhymes even battled back then in High school...and he beat busta rhymes...busta rhymes said-- I had not mastered the fast flow then but jay was doing it like a piece of cake and killed me in the battle....Google the busta rhymes interview....

jay z's flow is regarded one of the best in hip hop..same with biggie... Eminen flow ain't that smooth and fluid.... its like a screech in the ear...he is still my No. 1 though ......

this is the link to ibime's track... http://picosong.com/download/3apS/

Kendrick Lamar's flow is also sick...go listen to m.a.a.d kid...cartoon and cereal ..and rigarmortis
Re: Is Rakim The Greatest Rapper Of All Time? by ELYMAXiimus(m): 11:55am On Nov 14, 2014
Darkrebel:

lol ..Jay z's flow is hard... he is the master of flow..fast or slow...you don't know Hova at all....his wordplays are crazy/ metas

go listen to the former jay z not this one that is just releasing songs for the fun of it...he used to flow fast...he and busta rhymes even battled back then in High school...and he beat busta rhymes...busta rhymes said-- I had not mastered the fast flow then but jay was doing it like a piece of cake and killed me in the battle....Google the busta rhymes interview....

jay z's flow is regarded one of the best in hip hop..same with biggie... Eminen flow ain't that smooth and fluid.... its like a screech to the ears...he is still my No. 1 though ......

this is the link to ibime's track... http://picosong.com/download/3apS/

Kendrick Lamar's flow is also sick...go listen to m.a.a.d kid...cartoon and cereal ..and rigarmortis
bis 5mins sh1t cool
Re: Is Rakim The Greatest Rapper Of All Time? by coogar: 12:46pm On Nov 14, 2014
Djicemob:
So basically you are saying Em is better than Rakim Allah? Even Em would laugh at that line.Wetin person no go hear for NL,If marley marl and all them real hiphop pioneers were nairalanders they'd be laughing their azz off by now. grin

rakim himself implied the white boy is greater than him. i have given you the quotes. if eminem was black, he would be muhammad ali. rakim is black & he's not even 1/10th of muhammad ali....so that's your answer.

even nas is better than rakim....

No doubt Em is good but we are talking of A man that set the precedence for all rappers before and after him, alive or dead. His flow, delivery, subject matter, content, patterns, syllables, metering (poetic skills) and many more attributes are second to none, especially at a time when no one else was doing it. Its easy for rappers after him to claim greatness but they had a blue print to follow.He set a standard for rap that even todays rappers have not yet matched...and that was 1986.Ra is indeed a true rapgod.

rakim was one of the pioneers. he broke barriers. eminem also broke barriers - the first ever to break the race barrier in hip-hop. until eminem, black folks generally ridicule a white rapper trying to rap but when eminem came out, there was nothing to laugh at - he's ridiculously skilful.

he went toe to toe with some of the most respected emcees & he murdered them on their own tracks. MMLP is one of the greatest rap albums ever - you would actually put it next to 2pac's "all eyes on me" or nas' "illmatic" and this is a white boy - it's like asking jay-z to do acid rock & standing toe to toe with aerosmith.

the only black rapper i would put ahead of eminem today was canibus(in his prime) - bis was an animal. if you are a writer & you didn't wish to script lyrics like canibus at a point in your life then you are in a wrong profession. his beef with llcoolj ruined his career - llcoolj used his influence to blackball canibus & this was why he never really blew up.
Re: Is Rakim The Greatest Rapper Of All Time? by joseph1832(m): 10:54pm On Nov 14, 2014
This is intriguing! you all are naming rappers and you didn't name Puff Daddy!. LMAO. *joking*.

Seriously guys opinions defer on which rapper is the best. I believe Rakim is good as well as so many others but Jeru The Damaja just kills it for me.

That nigga is ballistic!.
Re: Is Rakim The Greatest Rapper Of All Time? by Djicemob: 7:40am On Nov 15, 2014
@coogar
So now even nas and canibus are better than rakim? LMFAO grin grin grin

Seriously bro, at the end of the day it all boils down to preference and choice.Even skyB can be better than rakim to some and you can't blame them.For me Em is dope but the way he words his verses,his voice,his distorted flow and everything has been nothing but annoying to me.I respect your choice though.
Re: Is Rakim The Greatest Rapper Of All Time? by kr0ne(m): 8:08am On Nov 15, 2014
Djicemob:
@coogar

Seriously bro, at the end of the day it all boils down to preference and choice.Even skyB can be better than rakim to some and you can't blame them.For me Em is dope but the way he words his verses,his voice,his distorted flow and everything has been nothing but annoying to me.I respect your choice though.
He sounds like Barney and Children
Re: Is Rakim The Greatest Rapper Of All Time? by Lumyboi(m): 10:09am On Nov 15, 2014
coogar:

rakim himself implied the white boy is greater than him. i have given you the quotes. if eminem was black, he would be muhammad ali. rakim is black & he's not even 1/10th of muhammad ali....so that's your answer.

even nas is better than rakim....

rakim was one of the pioneers. he broke barriers. eminem also broke barriers - the first ever to break the race barrier in hip-hop. until eminem, black folks generally ridicule a white rapper trying to rap but when eminem came out, there was nothing to laugh at - he's ridiculously skilful.

he went toe to toe with some of the most respected emcees & he murdered them on their own tracks. MMLP is one of the greatest rap albums ever - you would actually put it next to 2pac's "all eyes on me" or nas' "illmatic" and this is a white boy - it's like asking jay-z to do acid rock & standing toe to toe with aerosmith.

the only black rapper i would put ahead of eminem today was canibus(in his prime) - bis was an animal. if you are a writer & you didn't wish to script lyrics like canibus at a point in your life then you are in a wrong profession. his beef with llcoolj ruined his career - llcoolj used his influence to blackball canibus & this was why he never really blew up.

Eminem was exceptional with his flows jst lik em twista. Bt lyrical content can't b compared wt dem rakim, fredro n d clan family. E wasted so many songs tellin us about his mum n dad. Bt no doubt e is a great rapper. That's my opinion sha
Re: Is Rakim The Greatest Rapper Of All Time? by coogar: 11:25am On Nov 15, 2014
Djicemob:
@coogar

so much better...
nas is a poet - when he's on his shyte, he has several one liners that can destroy the entire album of other rappers.

canibus is a monster - his weaving around of words & he sets up his punches are heavenly. he was so far ahead of his time until he got black-balled.

annoying voice
verbiage
subject matter
content

------all these things don't affect the skill. besides, saying eminem has a distorted flow is the lie of the century. eminem has the best flow in the rap since 1998. even jay-z applauded his flow.

Lumyboi:

Eminem was exceptional with his flows jst lik em twista. Bt lyrical content can't b compared wt dem rakim, fredro n d clan family. E wasted so many songs tellin us about his mum n dad. Bt no doubt e is a great rapper. That's my opinion sha

the lyrical content is because of skin colour.
you want eminem to rap about black power or the struggles of a black man in america? can you not see the difference here?

what eminem raps about is his childhood experience - and that's because of who he is. if he copies what rakim, jay-z or nas rap about then he's fake!

he is not about that kinda laugh. he never sold drugs on the avenue - he's a trailer park hilly-billy so i have no problem with his subject matter. that is the only life he knows.
Re: Is Rakim The Greatest Rapper Of All Time? by devilmaycry: 5:34pm On Nov 15, 2014
rakim is god ...2pac king and eminem heir to d throne !!..rakim is like a godfather to eminem ..cos even eminem said it in his (rap god ) "am a product of rakim "..dah alone says it all ...so plsss no more argument ...RAKIM IT IS ...kabisssh!!
Re: Is Rakim The Greatest Rapper Of All Time? by Djicemob: 6:56pm On Nov 15, 2014
devilmaycry:
rakim is god ...2pac king and eminem heir to d throne !!..rakim is like a godfather to eminem ..cos even eminem said it in his (rap god ) "am a product of rakim "..dah alone says it all ...so plsss no more argument ...RAKIM IT IS ...kabisssh!!
On point.
Re: Is Rakim The Greatest Rapper Of All Time? by devilmaycry: 6:56pm On Nov 15, 2014
in a traditional hip hop setting ..

RAKIM _god

BIG L _chief priest

2PAC _king

EMINEM _prince and heir to d throne

NAS..JAY Z...CANNIBUS...50CENT...IMMORTAL TECHNIQUE ..._elders

K.DOT...ROYCE DA 5'9...JOE BUDDEN..YELAWOLF... _prince

LILWAYNE _messenger

PROVERB...MI...DRAKE..SARKODIE...TYGA .... _bodyguard

NICKY MINAJ _ queeen

EVE _princess

and d list continues ...lol

1 Like

Re: Is Rakim The Greatest Rapper Of All Time? by joseph1832(m): 7:05pm On Nov 15, 2014
devilmaycry:
in a traditional hip hop setting ..

RAKIM _god

BIG L _chief priest

2PAC _king

EMINEM _prince and heir to d throne

NAS..JAY Z...CANNIBUS...50CENT...IMMORTAL TECHNIQUE ..._elders

K.DOT...ROYCE DA 5'9...JOE BUDDEN..YELAWOLF... _prince

LILWAYNE _messenger

PROVERB...MI...DRAKE..SARKODIE...TYGA .... _bodyguard

NICKY MINAJ _ queeen

EVE _princess

and d list continues ...lol
Nicky Minaj _ Queen? Hell No!.

Queen Latifah remains Queen Mother

Da brat _ Queen

MC Lyte _ Princess (1 daughter )

Monny Love _ Princess ( 2 daughter)

Eve _ Princess ( 3 daughter )

Nicky Minaj _ Mistress ( The kings special mistress )

Iggy Azalea _ ( Mistress )

Charlie Baltimore ( Mistress)

Queen Pen ( Mistress )

Lil Kim _ Sex Slave
Re: Is Rakim The Greatest Rapper Of All Time? by devilmaycry: 7:39pm On Nov 15, 2014
joseph1832:

Da brat _ Queen

Queen Pen ( Mistress )

Lil Kim _ Sex Slave
Re: Is Rakim The Greatest Rapper Of All Time? by kr0ne(m): 8:44pm On Nov 15, 2014
joseph1832:

Da brat _ Queen

Queen Pen ( Mistress )

Lil Kim _ Sex Slave
You're not serious at all! Is Queen Latifah a rapper, abi na the 'Queen' dey deceive u? And how dare u place Dicky Minyash above Lil Kim (Put Your Lighters Up)? Guy, pack abeg
Re: Is Rakim The Greatest Rapper Of All Time? by joseph1832(m): 8:51pm On Nov 15, 2014
kr0ne:

You're not serious at all! Is Queen Latifah a rapper, abi na the 'Queen' dey deceive u? And how dare u place Dicky Minyash above Lil Kim (Put Your Lighters Up)? Guy, pack abeg
If Queen Latifah isn't a rapper I am curious to know what she is? Do be so kind to tell me?.
Re: Is Rakim The Greatest Rapper Of All Time? by kr0ne(m): 9:04pm On Nov 15, 2014
joseph1832:
If Queen Latifah isn't a rapper I am curious to know what she is? Do be so kind to tell me?.

Singing got the most part of her career, sir. Even in the hip hop industry she's not known as a rapper. Ok, if to you she's a rapper, what u say of The Lady of Rage, Lil Kim, Eve, Rah Digga, Rasheeda, Lauryin Hill, Keys, etc? Latifah is just like Missy Elliot, both are never full-fledged rappers
Re: Is Rakim The Greatest Rapper Of All Time? by coogar: 9:06pm On Nov 15, 2014
kr0ne:

Singing got the most part of her career, sir. Even in the hip hop industry she's not known as a rapper. Ok, if to you she's a rapper, what u say of The Lady of Rage, Lil Kim, Eve, Rah Digga, Rasheeda, Lauryin Hill, Keys, etc? Latifah is just like Missy Elliot, both are never full-fledged rappers

lauryn hill is the best female rapper ever. don't even put her in the same crew as lil kim, eve, sole, or missy elliot!
Re: Is Rakim The Greatest Rapper Of All Time? by kr0ne(m): 9:46pm On Nov 15, 2014
coogar:

lauryn hill is the best female rapper ever. don't even put her in the same crew as lil kim, eve, sole, or missy elliot!
And the Lady of Rage? Haba! Have u forgotten she was the only noteworthy female in 2Pac's crew?
Re: Is Rakim The Greatest Rapper Of All Time? by coogar: 9:50pm On Nov 15, 2014
kr0ne:

And the Lady of Rage? Haba! Have u forgotten she was the only noteworthy female in 2Pac's crew?

lady of rage won't even be in the top 10.

go & buy the fugees album - pay attention to lauryn's rhymes & that was around 96. she's too intellectual to even be compared to lady of rage. lady of rage is a death row chic. 2pac met her at deathrow, not the other way round. if anything, dr. dre brought lady of rage up!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Rakim The Greatest Rapper Of All Time? by joseph1832(m): 9:53pm On Nov 15, 2014
kr0ne:

Hmm still Latifah has my respect above all save The Lady Of Rage! The rest are just there, they don't even come next to Da Brat or MC Lyte.
Re: Is Rakim The Greatest Rapper Of All Time? by joseph1832(m): 9:54pm On Nov 15, 2014
coogar:

lady of rage won't even be in the top 10.

go & buy the fugees album - pay attention to lauryn's rhymes & that was around 96. she's too intellectual to even be compared to lady of rage. lady of rage is a death row chic. 2pac met her at deathrow, not the other way round. if anything, dr. dre brought lady of rage up!
Help me tell Kr0ne oh!. Dude just fixated about this whole ish.
Re: Is Rakim The Greatest Rapper Of All Time? by kr0ne(m): 9:55pm On Nov 15, 2014
joseph1832:
Hmm still Latifah has my respect above all save The Lady Of Rage! The rest are just there, they don't even come next to Da Brat or MC Lyte.
Well, it's ur opinion, I can't bend you. But I still love Lil Kim coz she's so street grin
Re: Is Rakim The Greatest Rapper Of All Time? by kr0ne(m): 9:55pm On Nov 15, 2014
coogar:

I go find out sha
Re: Is Rakim The Greatest Rapper Of All Time? by coogar: 9:58pm On Nov 15, 2014
kr0ne:

I go find out sha

go & find out.....

i will have da brat, missy elliot, remy martin, lil kim, eve, etc.
Re: Is Rakim The Greatest Rapper Of All Time? by joseph1832(m): 10:00pm On Nov 15, 2014
kr0ne:

Well, it's ur opinion, I can't bend you. But I still love Lil Kim coz she's so street grin
Being street doesn't necessarily make one a good rapper. I can still remember 2pac dissing her in hit em up.

To me she's just in the same class as Nicky Minaj because all she does is show off her body to hide the fact that she aint got skillz (in the words of canibus) 2nd round knock out.
Re: Is Rakim The Greatest Rapper Of All Time? by kr0ne(m): 10:12pm On Nov 15, 2014
joseph1832:
Being street doesn't necessarily make one a good rapper. I can still remember 2pac dissing her in hit em up.

To me she's just in the same class as Nicky Minaj because all she does is show off her body to hide the fact that she aint got skillz (in the words of canibus) 2nd round knock out.
Taa! Mechie onu! Who no get skill? And who flaunts her body more, Kim or Dicky Minash, who's 90% plastic? One thing with u guys is that you don't try to weigh the good and bad side of a character. Once ur like him/her everything s/he does is perfect. Lil Kim is a model! Her first album Hard Core, in 1996 hit double platinum, ranking 11 on the Billboard 200, the first highest ever for a female rapper. Confirm this from the Wikipedia. She attended same school with Nas and the female rapper Fox, and she was renowned for her freestyle ability. I think that's even why she fell for Biggy, who till date is still regarded as a freestyle rapper with the best flow. Do research, bro, before u pull a fast one. I'll do same for Lauryn Hill as Coogar suggested
Re: Is Rakim The Greatest Rapper Of All Time? by Nobody: 10:27pm On Nov 15, 2014
kr0ne:

Taa! Mechie onu! Who no get skill? And who flaunts her body more, Kim or Dicky Minash, who's 90% plastic? One thing with u guys is that you don't try to weigh the good and bad side of a character. Once ur like him/her everything s/he does is perfect. Lil Kim is a model! Her first album Hard Core, in 1996 hit double platinum, ranking 11 on the Billboard 200, the first highest ever for a female rapper. Confirm this from the Wikipedia. She attended same school with Nas and the female rapper Fox, and she was renowned for her freestyle ability. I think that's even why she fell for Biggy, who till date is still regarded as a freestyle rapper with the best flow. Do research, bro, before u pull a fast one. I'll do same for Lauryn Hill as Coogar suggested

I don't even listen to Nicki minaj's lyrics...am more interested in her big yansh grin ....

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Calling All Female Battle Rappers:Come Battle (Holla At Cray).and battle 2fine4u / "Star Warz Re-loaded". . . Battle Of The Illest (Shaz) / Top 5 Lyricists Of Nairaland.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.