Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,929 members, 7,824,904 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 08:39 PM

Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? - Politics (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? (90817 Views)

Court Sends Adamawa Ex-commissioner To 10 Years In Prison For Embezzlement / Fashola At The Kalakuta Museum Where Fela Kuti Was Buried / Throwback Photo Of Fela Kuti Wearing Pant To Play Table Tennis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by anukulapo: 10:21pm On Nov 10, 2014
duni04:

:“It was the suitcases of the family of 20 that were counted as belonging to the emir and falsely presented to the public. General Buhari has over the years asked those who have questions over the matter to go to Alhaji Atiku Abubakar, who was at the head of Customs operations at the airport on the day,” his spokesperson said.

So he (GMB) knows that the 20 suitcases won't have been the property of one man;the emir. How come he didn't know that the 1600 pounds was for the whole crew?

1 Like

Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by oginga: 10:22pm On Nov 10, 2014
Because he (Buhari) is an "animal in human skin". Also he knew how powerful Fela's music
Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by Lanrefreshkid: 10:28pm On Nov 10, 2014
barcanista:
When General Muhammadu Buhari came to power, there was wide corruption in the Second Republic. A decree was passed that nobody take out or bring in foreign currency into the country. Offenders are liable to 10years in Jail. This decree was to curb money laundering by politicians and corrupt businessmen.

FELA KUTI
Fela had performed abroad, he was paid in foreign currency in cash and had it on him on his return to Lagos. He was subsequently arrested for breaking the law and was prosecuted, found guilty and jailed.

PLEA:
There was a plea by human right groups to Head of State Buhari to "pardon" Fela, he refused because he believe that the law be served to the letter.

THE OFFENSE, GMB AND FELA:
First, there was an existing law/decree.

Secondly, Fela bringing in cash means it contradicts the law/decree, however, the money is from hard work.
Morally, he's justified! Legally, he is not.

Buhari had refused to grant pardon, because the law was broken. If he grants pardon, some section of politicians will accuse him of preferential treatment. He didn't because he believes in absolute discipline.
By law, he is justified. Morally, he is not, considering that it was Fela's sweat(my opinion). The law does not work with emotion unfortunately.

MY OPINION:
GMB should have pardoned Fela. The law should have made for exception. Buhari should have tampered justice with mercy

if this was what really happened then this OP just won Buhari a fan when i know his aim is the opposite.

If Fela was jailed for this then he his a good leader cos he doenst compromise justice and thats the quality of a good leader.

This man will do good for Nigerians just that i am afraid of this sharia thing.
at least better than Mr iWearNoShoes that doesnt want others to wear shoes cos he didnt....mcheeew

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by okon11: 10:30pm On Nov 10, 2014
omenka:
They said "Obama", erepoerter added "Barack". Is Barack Obama the only one in the world who bears the name "Obama"

Crappy journalism.

In Nigeria once Jonathan is mentioned everyone believes is the president, so is the case in America.
Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by Nobody: 10:30pm On Nov 10, 2014
Lanrefreshkid:

if this was what really happened then this OP just won Buhari a fan when i know his aim is the opposite.

If Fela was jailed for this then he his a good leader cos he doenst compromise justice and thats the quality of a good leader.

This man will do good for Nigerians just that i am afraid of this sharia thing.
at least better than Mr iWearNoShoes that doesnt want others to wear shoes cos he didnt....mcheeew
Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by fiftynaira(m): 10:30pm On Nov 10, 2014
Frm dis post way I read now I final decide to move frm APC to the PDP

I formally used to be an APC supporter hereby decide to move to the PDP...

All offical documents plcae take note

Cc
Nairaland
Sai buhari campagin team
Apc abuja chap!
Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by Nobody: 10:33pm On Nov 10, 2014
Eziachi:
I thought Fela was unjustly convicted by Justices Anya and Justice Dosunmu?
When did Buhari becomes a high court judge?
And by the way, I thought it was Idiagbon that achieved everything and Buhari was only sitting down chewing gworo?
Why is the credit for jailing Fela not going to Idiagbon but Buhari?
Buhari did all the bad things while Idiagbon did the good things during their regime. You see how some nigerians reason? Pa Eziachi,biko gwa wa ha okwu biko!!

grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by docadams: 10:34pm On Nov 10, 2014
samento:
Double mouthed people. Ignorance is not an excuse. If Fela wass not jailed for the offence he commited its you people that will still accuse the government that some people are above the law. If you want to critisize Buhari, do it construtively putting legality into consideration. You people were saying Idiagbon was the one ruling then, now you are accusing Buhari of Fela's predicament. We are all Nigerians living right here in Nigeria during the regime. I was not jailed neither were you. Because we never went against the law. This tampering of justice with mercy is what has led Nigeria to where we are today. Nigeria will never move foward if we continue to alter justice for mercy.

Barcanista was just trying to be diplomatic.
I agree with you that we should stick to the law no matter what. I also agree with u that majority of the people here never experienced the Buhari era but are here spinning tales from hearsay. The poor masses had little or no grouse with GMB regime. It is the bourgeoise (as we use to call the corrupt elite then) that had issues with the regime. This group connived with a willing IBB to overthrow GMB.
Since then we have been continuously groping in the dark.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by Eziachi: 10:35pm On Nov 10, 2014
Billyonaire:
So, a man, such like Fela, a Hero known worldwide, can not bring his earnings back home ? God punish Buhari.

And after they could not silence Fela, Buhari and his Oligrachs, went ahead to poison him with cyanide, and gave his Iscariot brother 200m to bastardize his brother as HIV carrier just to shame him.

I thought that at least you are educated? You really sat down, type this out and really press the send button? Wow!!!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by Nobody: 10:37pm On Nov 10, 2014
docadams:

Barcanista was just trying to be diplomatic.
I agree with you that we should stick to the law no matter what. I also agree with u that majority of the people here never experienced the Buhari era but are here spinning tales from hearsay. The poor masses had little or no grouse with GMB regime. It is the bourgeoise (as we use to call the corrupt elite then) that had issues with the regime. This group connived with a willing IBB to overthrow GMB.
Since then we have been continuously groping in the dark.
Thank you sir for coming to my rescue
Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by Nobody: 10:38pm On Nov 10, 2014
berem:
Buhari did all the bad things while Idiagbon did the good things during their regime. You see how some nigerians reason? Pa Eziachi,biko gwa wa ha okwu biko!!

grin grin
HAHAHAHAHA
Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by Precioussilas10: 10:39pm On Nov 10, 2014
Mogidi:

Why wasn't the Emir of Gwandu whose son was ADC to Buhari punished as well?
it's all about politics,bro
Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by Luchitec(m): 10:42pm On Nov 10, 2014
You tried in your explanation but for your information; a former Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Finance, Alhaji Abubakar Alhaji equally contravened the law within the same time frame. But, you know what? No legal action was taken against him; He was simply redeployed to another ministry!
barcanista:
When General Muhammadu Buhari came to power, there was wide corruption in the Second Republic. A decree was passed that nobody take out or bring in foreign currency into the country. Offenders are liable to 10years in Jail. This decree was to curb money laundering by politicians and corrupt businessmen.

FELA KUTI
Fela had performed abroad, he was paid in foreign currency in cash and had it on him on his return to Lagos. He was subsequently arrested for breaking the law and was prosecuted, found guilty and jailed.

PLEA:
There was a plea by human right groups to Head of State Buhari to "pardon" Fela, he refused because he believe that the law be served to the letter.

Secondly, Fela bringing in cash means it contradicts the law/decree, however, the money is from hard work.

Buhari had refused to grant pardon, because the law was broken. If he grants pardon, some section of politicians will accuse him of preferential treatment. He didn't because he believes in absolute discipline.
By law, he is justified. Morally, he is not, considering that it was Fela's sweat(my opinion). The law does not work with emotion unfortunately.

MY OPINION:
GMB should have pardoned Fela. The law should have made for exception. Buhari should have tampered justice with mercy
Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by Ashabie(f): 10:43pm On Nov 10, 2014
Lolz,diva ko,goddess ni,how are you joor,where have you been? I don't even c your break light.
TrishaP:

Look who we have here. The diva has finally showed up.
Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by Nobody: 10:43pm On Nov 10, 2014
berem:
On-going research indeed. You're so jobless that you now research on Buhari and his arrest of Fela which happened decades ago. Why don't you channel your research on Boko Haram and suggest possible ways of ending the insurgency as a saTANist and tell us what JonaTAN has to offer in 2015.

Yeye dey smell!
is this y d insurgence was created. hmmmmn
Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by Akbee(m): 10:45pm On Nov 10, 2014
ggrin:
Just imagine what will happen if the angel who
as been holding the trumpet to christ's second
coming For over 2000yrs decide to test if the
trumpet is still working...gringrin
una don try!up poverty development party!
Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by Ranchhoddas: 10:50pm On Nov 10, 2014
berem:
On-going research indeed. You're so jobless that you now research on Buhari and his arrest of Fela which happened decades ago. Why don't you channel your research on Boko Haram and suggest possible ways of ending the insurgency as a saTANist and tell us what JonaTAN has to offer in 2015.

Yeye dey smell!
where is your brain?

1 Like

Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by Akpan107(m): 10:54pm On Nov 10, 2014
noblezone:
Buhari was tyranny personified!

An over ambitious soldier who who led fellow rascals to destroy destinies!

Nigerians are hoodwinked that jailing people is the same as fighting corruption!

Buhari shed innocent blood just for the fun of it!

We must do what we have to do: Buhari must not smell that sit again!
You are just wasting ur precious time....
It is a known fact that Buhari will never rule Nigeria again!
Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by Nobody: 10:56pm On Nov 10, 2014
berem:

Yeye dey smell!

There go the senseless human. But u can contribute to the other research on why capital oil was returned and also propose another research on why Almustapha was forgiven. U r pathetic!

1 Like

Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by Nobody: 11:00pm On Nov 10, 2014
berem:

Yeye dey smell!

onye obioma. resident apc cursAtive organism.... How curtain business

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by sukkot: 11:02pm On Nov 10, 2014
mikeansy:

Apart from the fact that some emirs were given preferential treatment, that law itself is as boneheaded as they come!

How can the economy of any nation survive if the country's international businessmen can not handle any foreign currency?

That's not fight against corruption, that's plain stup.i.dit.y!
you cant have over 10,000 dollars cash in any civilized country in this world when you go through their airports and they are surviving just fine. thats what travellers cheques and bank transfers is for

1 Like

Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by ceemere: 11:04pm On Nov 10, 2014
barcanista:

FELA KUTI

PLEA:

MY OPINION:
this thing u just wrote down here is total crap, BULLshit. U ar just beating around the bush. Buharis is a monster, he never jailed fela for breaking the law, he jailed him cos he was a torn in his flesh. The money aspect is just to make it look legit. Simple lipsrsealed
Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by Nobody: 11:05pm On Nov 10, 2014
Acidosis:

Politics is cra. zy I swear! Berem, you're my good friend off-nl? Why call me 'jobless'?
Have I ever begged you for a job?

Really crazy! I apologize on her behalf, its called paid to defend, expect nothing less.

1 Like

Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by okych16(m): 11:07pm On Nov 10, 2014
blemon44:
Why did Jonathan release Al Mustafa from prison?

Are you doing a research to
Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by Nobody: 11:07pm On Nov 10, 2014
berem:
There are thousands of people like Fela who violated the law and are walking freely today. It's either they are given presidential pardons or they wipe out their case from EFCC all for re-election in 2015.

This is why Buhari must be voted as our next president to kill corruption.

Enough is enough!!!

Remember the emir of Gwandu?
Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by nationwide1(m): 11:09pm On Nov 10, 2014
mathskill:
The problem withe people like u is you went to school but instead of the school passing through all that u did was pass through school. I stated facts but u misinterpreted as emotional yet your reply is the one full of conflicting emotions. Classic case of pot calling the kettle black.Back to Buhari, he was a former head of state,headed the oil industry,headed PTF. Former GOC yet the only case of alleged corruption u can muster against is that of 53 suit cases? Thats like a saint in a den of thiefs. He dosnt hv a single filling station not to talk of oil block. No foreign account. No house on abuja. His sickler daughter died of child birth cos he didnt hv the fund to take her abroad to deliver in a better hospital. If this guy is who you villify to hate then you will continue to get villains you love to rule you.
How emotional was I? I'm not into politics so emotions can never becloud my sense of sound reasoning. Are you defending the 53 suit cases passage? So your general was the head in the 'animal farm'. Talking about his sickler daughter, are you saying pregnant sicklers can't have successful deliveries in Nigeria? That's a lie as I've been actively involved in managements of pregnant sickler to successful deliveries even in a state with meager resources like Ekiti.
Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by okych16(m): 11:11pm On Nov 10, 2014
Ranchhoddas:
where is your brain?

in my back pocket
Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by Nobody: 11:12pm On Nov 10, 2014
anonimi:

You will need to show that your BEHIND so I can assess cum evaluate whether it will be worth my while to get there cheesy

U wouldn't wanna go there...gosh so ugly

1 Like

Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by Nobody: 11:16pm On Nov 10, 2014
barcanista:
Do you have to insult her in that manner? That is uncalled for

I respect you a lot but be in tune with reality, I hate this your comment, did you watch her insult Op and kept quiet? Why defend her moments after? Because you support same party? That's not nice!

1 Like

Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by Acidosis(m): 11:18pm On Nov 10, 2014
iv4fb:

Really crazy! I apologize on her behalf, its called paid to defend, expect nothing less.
Thanks sire
Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by docadams: 11:19pm On Nov 10, 2014
miket2:
The blind stupidity and loyalty of some Nigerians never ceases to amaze me.... I do not blame the politicians, after all the saying that "a people get the government they deserve" is very true....

At this point I dont even blame the politicians for the state of the nation....it is the idiot Nigerians who never take them to task who I blame

for the record i support no party in Nigeria they are as bad as each other, but just because you are a supporter of Buhari doesnt mean you cannot admit that it was a politically motivated arrest and he was wrong...

some of us were around at that time so we know what happened, fela was travelling to a concert with 36 band members, as the band leader all the money was with him £1600... only a complete slowpoke would assume that the £1600 were for him alone and that the other 36 would be travelling without one penny between all of them.....

No other money was found on any of the people travelling with him so his assertion that the money was the travelling expenses for the entire group is entirely plausible....

He simply kept all the money in one place rather than divide it up amongst everybody, yet people are insisting that for this a 10 year sentence was justifiable.......

bloody illiterates ...... thats why the country is in the state its in

Most of the youths loved Fela in those day mostly because he was a non conformist ready to 'yab' the government of the day. He was law unto himself while alive. He serially broke laws without minding the consequences.
The law then said you cannot have more than £50 or so on you at the point of checking out and he had £1600 on him then. A law abiding person would have simply given each member of the team his share before reaching custom. But not Fela. He wont allow such.

2 Likes

Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by Tunmich: 11:19pm On Nov 10, 2014
nationwide1:
Stop being so emotional about Buhari that does not know you or care about you! How dare you call members of the forum stupid and ignorant because of a former dictator, Buhari? Is that you how well vested you're in knowledge and you don't know that the same Buhari's government allowed an emir with so many suit cases to pass at the airport without a check? Or do you mean selective justice is also an attribute of your 'righteous and faultless' general? Learn to keep your emotions at bay when online. You can make your points valid without resorting to insults. It's barbaric and childish.
Liked

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (16) (Reply)

Ongoing Biafra Protest In Alaba Market, Lagos (Pictures) / How Sani Abacha Died…AL Mustapha. NOT BY APPLE / Yahoo Boys Bath On The Road In Umuahia As Native Doctor Performs Ritual (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.