Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,511 members, 7,819,850 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:14 AM

Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? - Politics (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? (90783 Views)

Court Sends Adamawa Ex-commissioner To 10 Years In Prison For Embezzlement / Fashola At The Kalakuta Museum Where Fela Kuti Was Buried / Throwback Photo Of Fela Kuti Wearing Pant To Play Table Tennis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by PassingShot(m): 6:09am On Nov 11, 2014
barcanista:
When General Muhammadu Buhari came to power, there was wide corruption in the Second Republic. A decree was passed that nobody take out or bring in foreign currency into the country. Offenders are liable to 10years in Jail. This decree was to curb money laundering by politicians and corrupt businessmen.

FELA KUTI
Fela had performed abroad, he was paid in foreign currency in cash and had it on him on his return to Lagos. He was subsequently arrested for breaking the law and was prosecuted, found guilty and jailed.

PLEA:
There was a plea by human right groups to Head of State Buhari to "pardon" Fela, he refused because he believe that the law be served to the letter.

THE OFFENSE, GMB AND FELA:
First, there was an existing law/decree.

Secondly, Fela bringing in cash means it contradicts the law/decree, however, the money is from hard work.
Morally, he's justified! Legally, he is not.

Buhari had refused to grant pardon, because the law was broken. If he grants pardon, some section of politicians will accuse him of preferential treatment. He didn't because he believes in absolute discipline.
By law, he is justified. Morally, he is not, considering that it was Fela's sweat(my opinion). The law does not work with emotion unfortunately.

MY OPINION:
GMB should have pardoned Fela. The law should have made for exception. Buhari should have tampered justice with mercy

GBAM! Case closed.
Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by Nobody: 6:14am On Nov 11, 2014
berem:
On-going research indeed. You're so jobless that you now research on Buhari and his arrest of Fela which happened decades ago. Why don't you channel your research on Boko Haram and suggest possible ways of ending the insurgency as a saTANist and tell us what JonaTAN has to offer in 2015.

Yeye dey smell!

Those who do not know where they are coming from cannot know where they are going to.

So it happened in the past, we therefore should forget it?

Yet, the blood thirsty tyrant called Buhari, was so inhuman to backdate one of his bloody decrees just to satisfy his urge for blood.
A crime punishable by jail (in the past) would be made punishable by death (in the present), then those who committed the crime in the past, would be brought to the present and executed! Buhari is a monster in human flesh!

Buhari was such a low profile! He could not differentiate looted money from hard earned money!
A man laboured, made money (not even from Nigeria), and brought the money in! It is only a block head that would jail such a fellow.
And despite pleas, he left him in jail! He gaged the press, and turned Nigeria into a prison yard.

Buhari deserves jail at least. For had his coup failed, it would had been firing squad.

Do I really blame him? He is neither creative nor productive!
It is a dunce that would freeze the accounts of all the citizens and paid them N5,000 maximum irrespective what they do and how they eared the money.

Apart from seeking Absolute Power, what else is Buhari's occupation?
This man is a disgrace and it is a shame that people are not shamed to impose in him on us.

As for your jibe about Boko Haram!

Nigeria is at war! Islamists (Buhari has sympathy for them), are hell bent on forcing us all to follow their ways! They are brutal, with support from some Northerners who are deceived because "Allah" is mentioned, the war is not conventional.

Biafrans were attacked from the land, air and water. Nigeria and her colonial allies were shooting "everything at sight", yet it lasted for 3 years! How much more this?

The sooner you guys will stop blaming Jonathan for Boko Haram, the better.

As for 2015, we shall go the polls to test our might! My only concern is the blood that will soak "Baboons and Dogs" as boasted by your blood thirsty tyrant!

Cheers.

3 Likes

Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by sorom4: 6:49am On Nov 11, 2014
[quote author=barcanista post=27894618]When General Muhammadu Buhari came 2 power, there was wide corruption in the Second Republic. A decree was passed that nobody take out or bring in foreign currency into the country. Offenders are liable 2 10years in Jail. This decree was 2 curb money laundering by politicians & corrupt businessmen.
FELA KUTI
Fela had performed abroad,he was paid in foreign currency in cash and had it on him on his return 2 Lagos. He was subsequently arrested 4 breaking the law & was prosecuted, found guilty & jailed.
PLEA:
There was a plea by human right groups to Head of State Buhari to "pardon" Fela,he refused because he believe dt the law be served to the letter.
Secondly, Fela bringing in cash means it contradicts the law/decree, however, the money is from hard work.
Buhari had refused to grant THE ODOUR OOZING OUT 4M THESE YOUR LIES CAN MAKE A MAN IMPOTENT
Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by Olufemiolaolu(m): 6:53am On Nov 11, 2014
noblezone:
Buhari was tyranny personified!

An over ambitious soldier who who led fellow rascals to destroy destinies!

Nigerians are hoodwinked that jailing people is the same as fighting corruption!

Buhari shed innocent blood just for the fun of it!

We must do what we have to do: Buhari must not smell that sit again!
Buhari isnt a saint & Gej isnt an angel too now. Everybody makes mistake. If gej were 2 be a military regime, he wud do worse. Bringing d past 2 distort d future is senseless n meaningless. its still on record dat under buhari military regime Nigerians were more disciplined
Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by Tonylyte(m): 6:56am On Nov 11, 2014
berem:
On-going research indeed. You're so jobless that you now research on Buhari and his arrest of Fela which happened decades ago. Why don't you channel your research on Boko Haram and suggest possible ways of ending the insurgency as a saTANist and tell us what JonaTAN has to offer in 2015.

Yeye dey smell!
Madam tailor, do u knw that out of all the apc e-warriors, u re the most un-intelligent of them all? U are a waiste for space and fund for who ever is responsible for your monthly payments.
Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by ajuwarhodes(f): 7:01am On Nov 11, 2014
kingzjay:
How does this change the price of garri?

If u happen to be a smart dude,u shld know these will eventually change the price of garri so u can at least feed,since that's what ur life depend on.
Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by ajuwarhodes(f): 7:24am On Nov 11, 2014
omenka:
Seun your bias is becoming shameful. What is the meaning of this?? Was this moved to the fp because the op called you his/her mentor or because it is a research thread Do we now suppose if we do same, our threads would receive thesame treatment??

Remember that thread where you made that highly disgusting comment about the General when he LOST HIS WIFE?? We still have that fresh on our minds and like nairaland, WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! We understand your hatred for the gentleman, but you created a PUBLIC FORUM and must run it as such!

Nb. You may ban me till 3025 if you like.

Becos u know that u will come in with anoda moniker.GMB's pet
Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by Lurcky(m): 7:28am On Nov 11, 2014
barcanista:
When General Muhammadu Buhari came to power, there was wide corruption in the Second Republic. A decree was passed that nobody take out or bring in foreign currency into the country. Offenders are liable to 10years in Jail. This decree was to curb money laundering by politicians and corrupt businessmen.

FELA KUTI
Fela had performed abroad, he was paid in foreign currency in cash and had it on him on his return to Lagos. He was subsequently arrested for breaking the law and was prosecuted, found guilty and jailed.

PLEA:
There was a plea by human right groups to Head of State Buhari to "pardon" Fela, he refused because he believe that the law be served to the letter.

Buhari had refused to grant pardon, because the law was broken. If he grants pardon, some section of politicians will accuse him of preferential treatment. He didn't because he believes in absolute discipline.
By law, he is justified. Morally, he is not, considering that it was Fela's sweat(my opinion). The law does not work with emotion unfortunately.

Buhari had always wanted to arrest Fela because he knew that Fela was against military government and if Fela was allowed he would have sang against Buhari's govt which Buhari didn't want. So when Fela came back He saw the perfect opportunity and used it to arrest him.
Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by LogicPower(m): 7:47am On Nov 11, 2014
docadams:

Most of the youths loved Fela in those day mostly because he was a non conformist ready to 'yab' the government of the day. He was law unto himself while alive. He serially broke laws without minding the consequences.
The law then said you cannot have more than £50 or so on you at the point of checking out and he had £1600 on him then. A law abiding person would have simply given each member of the team his share before reaching custom. But not Fela. He wont allow such.

When I was at university, like almost every other student at the time, I was such a fanatical fan of Fela- for exactly the same reason you mentioned here as highlighted. And like millions of other fans of Fela, I felt really bad when our musical hero was jailed by the Buhari regime. Although Fela broke a law, which we all knew he often did, we expected the military junta to 'tamper justice with mercy' but to our disappointment, they didn't.

But even if the incarceration of Fela were to be considered as an act of state injustice and callousness by a military regime under Buhari's leadership, the current situation we are witnessing - of wanton destruction of lives and properties of thousands of innocent Nigerians (of all religious and ethnic backgrounds) and the unprecedented levels of corruption that have been happening under the GEJ's watch - is far worse, and much more atrocious and unforgivable.

I would rather vote for a leader who, in his determined and honest efforts to fight corruption and ensure discipline, would commit a mistake like that of jailing Fela, debatably unfairly, than vote for a 'leader' who would look the other way, and shrug in an I-don't-give-a-damn attitude, as the BH savages continue to spill so much blood of thousands of innocent people and the corrupt elite bask in unprecedented governmental protection.

I am sure if Fela were to be alive today and be given a choice between re-serving the number of days he spent in prison under the Buhari regime and witnessing the current destruction of lives and properties, and the massive corruption taking place under the GEJ's administration, I believe he would choose the respectable and altruistic option of re-serving the jail term and save the lives of the ordinary people who are slaughtered daily as they are betrayed and abandoned by a 'leader' who is so callously unconcerned about their plights.

I fully agree with Dr. Paul Unongo, a former minister and a leading politician in Benue, who concludes that GEJ is a "disaster" to this country. He describes GEJ's nonchalant attitude in protecting the peoples he swore to protect, and his preoccupation with his election, as "immoral" and "sinful".

Link: http://www..com.ng/index.php/political-news/item/1187-jonathan-a-disaster-to-nigeria-unongo

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by mezebel(f): 7:51am On Nov 11, 2014
Acidosis:

Politics is cra. zy I swear! Berem, you're my good friend off-nl? Why call me 'jobless'?
Have I ever begged you for a job?
he called u jobless niga and u still refer him as ur good friend?
Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by jonuel1(m): 8:00am On Nov 11, 2014
akpanikpe:
Op I sure say u be pdp abi? Una no ask all dis question since, na now wey the old man want knock una out abi?

That adjective "old man" got me thinking where the youths of this nation are that an "old man" as you said will be contesting election in the 21st century.
Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by koolly009: 8:07am On Nov 11, 2014
Register for a language course with "KOOL-END LANGUAGE CENTRE, Gwarinpa - Abuja.
We teach German, French, Spanish & English.
+Reg/ preparation class for TOEFL, IELTS, DELF, DALF & Zert Deutsch.
Venue: No 3, B - Close, 1st Avenue, Gwarinpa.
Call. 08035949272
Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by donshaddow(m): 8:13am On Nov 11, 2014
Op, I have a feeling you are being bias in your research because you suppose to have an opinion before and after he was arrested and jailed for 10yrs.. Pre and post Buhari..

Here is an interview with Fela..

Thanks for reading.

"Since then the civilian government
of President Shagari has been
replaced by a military regime in
Nigeria, but if you go by the songs
Fela belted out in the last couple of
days, nothing much has changed as
far as he's concerned. “Teacher Don’t
Teach Me Nonsense” was one of his
songs and the colonial school books
that were opened in this song speak
volumes.

Of course I am very curious
to hear from an expert and a person
who is directly involved to hear
about the current situation in
Nigeria (June 1984).

Is the situations
worse than before the coup d’état?

“Much worse! Much worse!”

Also concerning freedom and
justice?

“That’s also much worse. There can
be no justice in Africa until African
courts are instituted. Most people
that have to appear before a court
have absolutely no idea what’s
happening to them. Sometimes they
don’t even speak any English. As a
matter of fact most people that have
to appear in court don’t speak any
English and then some lawyer starts
citing books that were written in
London, the magistrate sits there
nosing about in them and the man
in the bench doesn’t understand
anything. He has stolen two chickens
or some money and there they sit
closing and opening books. He asks
himself what that has to do with the
two chickens. For an African such a
dispute figures between him, the
man he stole the chickens from and
the judge and together they find a
solution. That’s an African concept.
There are only three parties, no
intermediaries like lawyers. I just
mean to say: that this man is
stealing chickens doesn’t mean that
he has lost his voice. He can still
defend himself and then it would be
a simple case. But no, law books
from 1840 have to be cited. Hahaha.
They say everything in pompous,
unintelligible English and the man
doesn’t understand anything about
it. All these things are so
undemocratic. But our democracy is
nonsense to begin with. Democracy
is demo-crazy. Because the judges
are also appointed by the
government, you see. They are
instructed by the government. I
could be taken to court right now if
they weren’t afraid of my popularity.

Many people are sent to jail simply
due to the instructions of the
government. You are put on trail but
go to jail the same, guilty or not
guilty, if the government wants it.
They pronounce judgment by the
letter of the law, not by the truth.

I myself was once brought to trail
and I asked for bail. But the judge
first had to excuse himself and I
knew that he went to ask for
instructions. When he returned I
was refused bail and was sent back
to my cell. There wasn’t even a legal
reason to refuse me bail, because
that’s only allowed if you’ve
murdered someone or committed
armed robbery. There wasn’t even a
charge against me.

When we demanded to know in the court room why I was put on trail they told us they were still working on the accusations. So I had to spend 30 days in jail without an accusation and couldn’t even get out on bail.

That was in 1977 when they burnt
down my house. After those 30 days
I had to appear in court again and
was sent back again for 20 days.
Now I ask you: what kind of law is
that? And if that can happen to me,
and I am quite familiar with the laws in my country and informed about my rights and am also backed by half the population, how would that go with the ordinary man, who has no support?

The prisons in Africa are full of unemployed young people who are searching for life itself, searching for improvement. They have no way out. Convicted by the letter of the law”.

I will be making posting some intresting facts about Fela and Buhari soon. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by Baawaa(m): 8:20am On Nov 11, 2014
berem:

Yeye dey smell!
My brother,the research is for 2015
Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by efyguy(m): 8:28am On Nov 11, 2014
You folks have started with your mass propaganda abi...Buhari 2015 and beyond
Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by kakakent: 8:34am On Nov 11, 2014
berem:

Yeye dey smell!

I believe you should have answered the question you stay online everyday hurling insults at the president nd trying to pass off buhari as a saint to us babe buhari is a demon I wonder y nigerians will glorysing the devil for money ,the things my dad told me about buhari makes me want to puke anytime I hear him. If a man committed murder as a military leader he is a murderere even if it was committed 60 years ago mtcheew

1 Like

Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by LouisVanGaal(m): 8:47am On Nov 11, 2014
Firefire:

No matter how long they (APC) would take in their covens to cook lies, we shall wait to rebuff it.

The TRUTH MUST be Told.

Enough of APC wicked caricature
what about Baracanista's rebuttal?? Someone committed Money laundering and was prosecuted...instead of you to rebuke the offender, you are here throwing darts at someone who is trying to instill law and order in the country...are u dis stupid! Or u jus acting stupidly

3 Likes

Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by Nobody: 8:54am On Nov 11, 2014
Pls lets us kill ds our corrupt old leaders lik d former president did in ghana...lets bomb dem all & start afresh frm our amiable,intelligent youths of ds nation..dats d only way corruption can end in ds country..any family member frm ds corrupt leader must nt hold a position too....if nt dat dey ar d one sponsoring boko haram,boko haram wud av finish dem all...bomb dem all,dey are all thieves.
Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by Nobody: 8:56am On Nov 11, 2014
noblezone:
Buhari was tyranny personified!

An over ambitious soldier who who led fellow rascals to destroy destinies!

Nigerians are hoodwinked that jailing people is the same as fighting corruption!

Buhari shed innocent blood just for the fun of it!

We must do what we have to do: Buhari must not smell that sit again!
them among the present presidential aspirants, who should sit on the seat come 2015? Jonathan? Atiku? Kwakwanso? Buhari? Okorocha?
Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by holatoj(m): 9:03am On Nov 11, 2014
question for d gods.....grin
Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by holatin(m): 9:05am On Nov 11, 2014
pdp or APC they are hell of a corrupt gang.
my advice buy season film on election day and watch.
DO NOT VOTE
Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by LouisVanGaal(m): 9:13am On Nov 11, 2014
barcanista:

FELA KUTI

PLEA:

MY OPINION:
GMB should have pardoned Fela. The law should have made for exception. Buhari should have tampered justice with mercy
Baracnista I Hail o! Ur boy loyal...Remember what I told u the last time?? People would still choose to believe the 'most comfortable negative stories' about GMB..despite this your well synthesised defence (which happens to be true); it would still not change their opinion of him! In naija here, we're very comfortable with lies, than the truth, simple!!!
Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by OpraMenu(m): 9:14am On Nov 11, 2014
blemon44:
Why did Jonathan release Al Mustafa from prison?

y nt tok abt d topic,.......

1 Like

Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by Nobody: 9:15am On Nov 11, 2014
LouisVanGaal:
Baracnista I Hail o! Ur boy loyal...Remember what I told u the last time?? People would still choose to believe the 'most comfortable negative stories' about GMB..despite this your well synthesised defence (which happens to be true); it would still not change their opinion of him! In naija here, we're very comfortable with lies, than the truth, simple!!!
My Oga, The bid to malign Buhari miraculously projects Buhari as a man that upholds the law to the letter irrrespective of whose Ox is gored

2 Likes

Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by holatin(m): 9:19am On Nov 11, 2014
having a change of leader could help. if Jonathan comes again, then expect part three of what we are seeing now.
Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by Nichobabe(m): 9:22am On Nov 11, 2014
The best APC can do is not to field Buhari. Have you noticed that he does not have any meaningful contributions to national issues/problems? apart from War Against Indiscipline (WAI) fought with the muscles of the military, what else can he offer?

When it comes to incompetency, he will give GEJ a run for his money.

Nigerians think well and vote well.

just saying sha...
Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by docadams: 9:23am On Nov 11, 2014
@LogicPower: That is the truth brethren. Like I said before many people here eulogising and condemning do not know much about the personalities being discussed here. Fela had little to 'yab' during GMB regime because then majority of Nigerians welcomed him with jubilation and when he was overthrown many more were downcast.
If one were to put GMB and GEJ governments side by side and ask Fela to do his lyrical acrobatics it will be one way traffic. Whoever lived the Fela/GMB era and is still alive now would know where the 'yabis' will go.

2 Likes

Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by kenex4ever(m): 9:37am On Nov 11, 2014
barcanista:

FELA KUTI

PLEA:

MY OPINION:
1) No link to support ur claim 2) Be prepared to face Datolee, u no how him dey handle u na
Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by juvewalex(m): 9:39am On Nov 11, 2014
ggrin:
Just imagine what will happen if the angel who
as been holding the trumpet to christ's second
coming For over 2000yrs decide to test if the
trumpet is still working...gringrin
As nuclear weapon
Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by Kologie: 9:43am On Nov 11, 2014
blemon44:
Why did Jonathan release Al Mustafa from prison?

*raised up his hand* uncle blemon44 I think the answer is: to resurrect the KiLLERS SQUAD!
Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by kayelm87(m): 9:53am On Nov 11, 2014
ggrin:
Just imagine what will happen if the angel who
as been holding the trumpet to christ's second
coming For over 2000yrs decide to test if the
trumpet is still working...gringrin
what will happen if he does? lwkmd
Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by lumeneng22: 9:57am On Nov 11, 2014
kilokeys:
hehehe.. with femi kuti, afrikaan shrine and fans in diaspora... buhari's situation just got worse..

how d guy wan pay im bank loan wey im use buy form na?
s
chai... see bad belle op
.With buhari, I sorry for Nigeria I sorry sorry o....just singing femi kuti song.

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply)

Abdullahi Salame Shoots Dead An Armed Robber Who Attacked His House (Photos) / Ongoing Biafra Protest In Alaba Market, Lagos (Pictures) / Which Is The Most Developed Geo-Political Zone In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.