Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,375 members, 7,819,367 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:58 PM

Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? - Politics (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? (90778 Views)

Court Sends Adamawa Ex-commissioner To 10 Years In Prison For Embezzlement / Fashola At The Kalakuta Museum Where Fela Kuti Was Buried / Throwback Photo Of Fela Kuti Wearing Pant To Play Table Tennis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by tonte(m): 9:59am On Nov 11, 2014
but what exactly is your business with whatever topic he decides to research on, and since when has it become your place to say what a man should and should not research on?

berem:
On-going research indeed. You're so jobless that you now research on Buhari and his arrest of Fela which happened decades ago. Why don't you channel your research on Boko Haram and suggest possible ways of ending the insurgency as a saTANist and tell us what JonaTAN has to offer in 2015.

Yeye dey smell!

1 Like

Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by peedeeasobie(m): 10:03am On Nov 11, 2014
berem:
and the number one Buhari hater on Nairaland has moved the idiotic thread to front page.

I noticed that your language is full of foul words.
can't you say something without being insulting?

calling people idiots and stupid doesn't show intelligence, it actually says a lot about your person. it implies that you grew up with so much hate around you!

4 Likes

Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by kenex4ever(m): 10:04am On Nov 11, 2014
berem:
and the number one Buhari hater on Nairaland has moved the idiotic thread to front page.
Shey u b chameleon? Abi na Hypocrite? Tomorrow now u go say GEJ till 2019. May b u dey take hard drugs, when on drugs - u ll b apc(supporter of APC) when ur head is cool u become Pdp

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by kenex4ever(m): 10:12am On Nov 11, 2014
Mogidi:

How much is Buhari paying you to destroy Fela's image? Fela is now a bad guy because he questioned Buhari on the stolen $2.5bil at the ministry of which he was head. Haba!
How do you defend the same Buhari allowing 53 suitcases filled with dollars to pass through same airport. Its a pity Fela didn't have a son working as ADC to Buhari like the Emir of Gwandu.
god! $2.5B in those days is equivalent to $50B today o. This Buhari is a very wicked man, his sins will locate him for d 4th time and he will cry on TV again, useless, selfish, power hungry pretender.

3 Likes

Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by lumeneng22: 10:14am On Nov 11, 2014
Abeg Emeka when you are coming back from market this evening, help me buy Beast of no nation egbekegbe from ubakason plaza in alaba international any amount I will pay.

1 Like

Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by Nobody: 10:20am On Nov 11, 2014
barcanista:
When General Muhammadu Buhari came to power, there was wide corruption in the Second Republic. A decree was passed that nobody take out or bring in foreign currency into the country. Offenders are liable to 10years in Jail. This decree was to curb money laundering by politicians and corrupt businessmen.

FELA KUTI
Fela had performed abroad, he was paid in foreign currency in cash and had it on him on his return to Lagos. He was subsequently arrested for breaking the law and was prosecuted, found guilty and jailed.

PLEA:
There was a plea by human right groups to Head of State Buhari to "pardon" Fela, he refused because he believe that the law be served to the letter.

THE OFFENSE, GMB AND FELA:
First, there was an existing law/decree.

Secondly, Fela bringing in cash means it contradicts the law/decree, however, the money is from hard work.
Morally, he's justified! Legally, he is not.

Buhari had refused to grant pardon, because the law was broken. If he grants pardon, some section of politicians will accuse him of preferential treatment. He didn't because he believes in absolute discipline.
By law, he is justified. Morally, he is not, considering that it was Fela's sweat(my opinion). The law does not work with emotion unfortunately.

MY OPINION:
GMB should have pardoned Fela. The law should have made for exception. Buhari should have tampered justice with mercy

So, in his greatest wisdom as the head of state, the only way to fight corruption is to stop "in and out flow"of foreign currencies?
hahahahahaahahaha!

What an expert on how to run the economy of a nation.

No wonder the whiteman think we are monkeys. So when you stop the in and flow of such monies, then people wont loot again?
Bros, corruption is not in cash! No wonder billions were stolen under his watch as the PTF head: because the financially illiterate general thinks money can only be looted in cash. Perhaps he was busy searching peoples pockets when they close from work! Not knowing that real looting is done on paper.

Is not obvious that this man is so clueless? He is a complete illiterate as far finance is concerned. No wonder he came to play on our emotions that he borrowed money to by nomination form!

Anyway, let the truth be told!
That Fela brought in Dollars "against the law" was an excuse to gag and cage him! Fela was among the few Nigerians who were not scared of Buhari's rascality and abuse stolen power! He was not intimidated by thirst of blood by a tyrant.

Power corrupts but absolute power corrupts absolutely!
What is the mission of a regime if not for the good of the masses?
Yet, we saw a regime that brutalized the people.

Buhari is a economic illiterate!
Never in the history of government did a federal government fix prices for end products.
The man was reckless with power! He fixed how much a retailer should sell milk, biscuit, rice, beans, etc without considering ho much they purchased.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by LouisVanGaal(m): 10:28am On Nov 11, 2014
I have come to understand that the brains of most TANoids are filled with mucuous..that's why they're parallel and rigid in thoughts..

1 Like

Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by Nobody: 10:29am On Nov 11, 2014
barcanista:
My Oga, The bid to malign Buhari miraculously projects Buhari as a man that upholds the law to the letter irrrespective of whose Ox is gored
Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by Nobody: 10:32am On Nov 11, 2014
ggrin:
Just imagine what will happen if the angel who
as been holding the trumpet to christ's second
coming For over 2000yrs decide to test if the
trumpet is still working...gringrin

Lol...men na heart attack b dat ooo...
Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by Firefire(m): 11:00am On Nov 11, 2014
[quote author=LouisVanGaal post=27908974]what about Baracanista's rebuttal?? Someone committed Money laundering and was prosecuted...instead of you to rebuke the offender, you are here throwing darts at someone who is trying to instill law and order in the country...[s]are u dis stupid! Or u jus acting stupidly[/[/s]quote]

Don't abuse your freedom of speech.

Make your point without throwing insult.

Shalom!
Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by greatgeo(m): 11:11am On Nov 11, 2014
berem:
On-going research indeed. You're so jobless that you now research on Buhari and his arrest of Fela which happened decades ago. Why don't you channel your research on Boko Haram and suggest possible ways of ending the insurgency as a saTANist and tell us what JonaTAN has to offer in 2015.

Yeye dey smell!
We all know that this world will never get better. the truth is no government in Nigeria has done what jona has done, in the mix of all this distractions. There is no country in the world where d leader put food on the table for his ppl but here they want their leaders to do that which we all know is not possible. Let us wake up and contribute our own quota and stop criticizing them, yes they are all corrupt but what have we done in our various position in our immediate surrounding to make it better? Nigeria will never move forward until the politician released that no matter how much they acquire for themselves they will leave this world with a penny. So before we criticize others first have a change mindset pls.
Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by koko12(m): 12:03pm On Nov 11, 2014
barcanista:
When General Muhammadu Buhari came to power, there was wide corruption in the Second Republic. A decree was passed that nobody take out or bring in foreign currency into the country. Offenders are liable to 10years in Jail. This decree was to curb money laundering by politicians and corrupt businessmen.

FELA KUTI
Fela had performed abroad, he was paid in foreign currency in cash and had it on him on his return to Lagos. He was subsequently arrested for breaking the law and was prosecuted, found guilty and jailed.

PLEA:
There was a plea by human right groups to Head of State Buhari to "pardon" Fela, he refused because he believe that the law be served to the letter.

Secondly, Fela bringing in cash means it contradicts the law/decree, however, the money is from hard work.

Buhari had refused to grant pardon, because the law was broken. If he grants pardon, some section of politicians will accuse him of preferential treatment. He didn't because he believes in absolute discipline.
By law, he is justified. Morally, he is not, considering that it was Fela's sweat(my opinion). The law does not work with emotion unfortunately.

MY OPINION:
GMB should have pardoned Fela. The law should have made for exception. Buhari should have tampered justice with mercy

brilliant submission i must say
Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by Nobody: 12:12pm On Nov 11, 2014
LogicPower:

When I was at university, like almost every other student at the time, I was such a fanatical fan of Fela- for exactly the same reason you mentioned here as highlighted. And like millions of other fans of Fela, I felt really bad when our musical hero was jailed by the Buhari regime. Although Fela broke a law, which we all knew he often did, we expected the military junta to 'tamper justice with mercy' but to our disappointment, they didn't.

But even if the incarceration of Fela were to be considered as an act of state injustice and callousness by a military regime under Buhari's leadership, the current situation we are witnessing - of wanton destruction of lives and properties of thousands of innocent Nigerians (of all religious and ethnic backgrounds) and the unprecedented levels of corruption that have been happening under the GEJ's watch - is far worse, and much more atrocious and unforgivable.

I would rather vote for a leader who, in his determined and honest efforts to fight corruption and ensure discipline, would commit a mistake like that of jailing Fela, debatably unfairly, than vote for a 'leader' who would look the other way, and shrug in an I-don't-give-a-damn attitude, as the BH savages continue to spill so much blood of thousands of innocent people and the corrupt elite bask in unprecedented governmental protection.

I am sure if Fela were to be alive today and be given a choice between re-serving the number of days he spent in prison under the Buhari regime and witnessing the current destruction of lives and properties, and the massive corruption taking place under the GEJ's administration, I believe he would choose the respectable and altruistic option of re-serving the jail term and save the lives of the ordinary people who were slaughtered daily as they are betrayed and abandoned by a 'leader' who is so callously unconcerned about their plights.

I fully agree with Dr. Paul Unongo, a former minister and a leading politician in Benue, who concludes that GEJ is a "disaster" to this country. He describes GEJ's nonchalant attitude in protecting the peoples he swore to protect, and his preoccupation with his election, as "immoral" and "sinful".

Link: http://www..com.ng/index.php/political-news/item/1187-jonathan-a-disaster-to-nigeria-unongo
Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by April4th(m): 1:17pm On Nov 11, 2014
berem:

Yeye dey smell!

Now I understand where ur hatred for GEJ stems from. We'll vote you in come 2015 and we'll see if you would do better than GEJ.
Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by big7: 1:40pm On Nov 11, 2014
stardragon:
de devil i kwn(GEJ) is better dan de angel(buhari) i dont knw undecided

GEJ TILL 2019!

gbam... dat d main truth.. GEJ come 2015...all the way

1 Like

Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by Nobody: 2:20pm On Nov 11, 2014
aguizm:
Haba my brother her own is too much but if boko strikes she will be the first person to type and jubilate here. Other buhari sympathizers honestly try to argue out and proof their points but her own na straight to insults because she is a typical illiterate house wife. She be Heavy super olodo.

bro give her credit she is not house wife she dey hustle badd...she used to be obioma( mobile tailor). but she don upgrade to sewing curtains... she is so dumb. she only kno insult. have u seen her looks. she is everything like how not to be a good wife....so ugly gosh I
Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by jerryjere(m): 4:36pm On Nov 11, 2014
ggrin:
bad boy
Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by brainpower(m): 4:39pm On Nov 11, 2014
barcanista:

FELA KUTI

PLEA:

MY OPINION:

Please I will like to know if this reason you gave is your opinion or that's what buhari gave as reason in which case, I will like a link to where I can read or listen to Buhari giving the reason. Though I am aware he never supported freedom of information and free speech and which we know Fela for. Thank you
Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by DobleO7: 4:41pm On Nov 11, 2014
berem:

Yeye dey smell!

How can a man who truncated the reign of duly democratically elected government now want to be elected as President of the same system of government he sniffed life out of?.

1 Like

Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by Hero10001: 5:54pm On Nov 11, 2014
Firefire:

My friend,... how far ee don don? grin

Chai, Barcanista,

Why are you trying to twist the truth...
Twisting or not, we know the truth.
Afefe ti fe, a ti ri furo adiye.
On a Goodbad scale, GMB was bad, GEJ is bad too.
Too many puzzles about em, it's like a pandy's box.
If i could go back in time, i would make sure Niger was delivered to the right hands.
Are we saying GMB, GEJ or J.anjawe..ed and Papa Deceive Pikin parties are the best Niger can get?!
Which way Nigeria?!!
SMH.
Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by johnwell(m): 8:34pm On Nov 11, 2014
ggrin:

may God bless you for making me laugh this night till i pour my tea!
Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by sterlinboy(m): 8:50pm On Nov 11, 2014
hmnnn

Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by KA24DETT(m): 9:23pm On Nov 11, 2014
M
vigasimple:

You yourself may not understand Nigerian politics. All GEJ problem and that of this country are simply Religion and tribalism. The Northern political elites see Nigeria presidency as their birth right and this is where you get 'BORN TO RULE'

As far as our brethren up north are concerned, they have loaned GEJ and the south the presidency and want their power back.

Until the North are prepared to let the country rest and have proper leader, we will continue to have a weak leader like GEJ. But once the man get re-elected, then you are going to see OBJ second term in GEJ.

Nigeria is a comedy, just decide which role you want to play.

listen bro, when you are a president,
You have powers, powers to alter the destiny of anyone that stands in your way. Remenber what obj did to globacom executive . Jonathan is the most powerful man in the country, he can use that power to effect change but he's not . Screw the northerners , he has the power to make them fall in line if he wants
Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by chakula: 9:49pm On Nov 11, 2014
yokiti:

His popular songs include but not limited to: Zombie, Kalakuta Republic, Beast of no Nation, Baba nla nonsense.

Thanks bros for the brief.
Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by superstar3: 10:02pm On Nov 11, 2014
Bacanista has said it all
Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by aguizm(m): 11:46pm On Nov 11, 2014
patmaine:

bro give her credit she is not house wife she dey hustle badd...she used to be obioma( mobile tailor). but she don upgrade to sewing curtains... she is so dumb. she only kno insult. have u seen her looks. she is everything like how not to be a good wife....so ugly gosh I
U mean am? Hahahahaha laughs and falls down from an iroko tree.
Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by diego13: 12:24am On Nov 12, 2014
ggrin:

That one be say na the last trumpet he go blow be that oh

1 Like

Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by coolvitus(m): 12:07pm On Nov 12, 2014
If only we can handle revolution is just d best to realize this country from corruption how long shall we remain in dark? One day be one day d leader we ar looking 4 will emerge and everybody will be happy again.
Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by Popemax(m): 2:12pm On Nov 12, 2014
GMB will never be my president......not while aam still alive
Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by fritxie101(m): 2:41pm On Nov 12, 2014
noblezone:

So, in his greatest wisdom as the head of state, the only way to fight corruption is to stop "in and out flow"of foreign currencies?
hahahahahaahahaha!

What an expert on how to run the economy of a nation.

No wonder the whiteman think we are monkeys. So when you stop the in and flow of such monies, then people wont loot again?
Bros, corruption is not in cash! No wonder billions were stolen under his watch as the PTF head: because the financially illiterate general thinks money can only be looted in cash. Perhaps he was busy searching peoples pockets when they close from work! Not knowing that real looting is done on paper.

Is not obvious that this man is so clueless? He is a complete illiterate as far finance is concerned. No wonder he came to play on our emotions that he borrowed money to by nomination form!

Anyway, let the truth be told!
That Fela brought in Dollars "against the law" was an excuse to gag and cage him! Fela was among the few Nigerians who were not scared of Buhari's rascality and abuse stolen power! He was not intimidated by thirst of blood by a tyrant.

Power corrupts but absolute power corrupts absolutely!
What is the mission of a regime if not for the good of the masses?
Yet, we saw a regime that brutalized the people.

Buhari is a economic illiterate!
Never in the history of government did a federal government fix prices for end products.
The man was reckless with power! He fixed how much a retailer should sell milk, biscuit, rice, beans, etc without considering ho much they purchased.

bros u spoke well, but just so to b clear, price control commission is a government agency saddled with d responsibility of control prices of goods and services. Lets jus say they havant been doing their work for a long time now, and if you will agree with me, then u knw that the price control that d GMB government controld had no effect on business moguls, it was aimed at controling excessive profits. Another thing is am not a Buhari fan, am a nigerian who wants whats best for this country be it a hausa man, igbo man or an ijaw man, so long as that candidate is an advovate of peace, development and better change.
Just my thought.
Re: Why Did Buhari Sentence Fela Kuti To 10 Years In Prison? by Nobody: 3:09pm On Nov 12, 2014
fritxie101:

bros u spoke well, but just so to b clear, price control commission is a government agency saddled with d responsibility of control prices of goods and services. Lets jus say they havant been doing their work for a long time now, and if you will agree with me, then u knw that the price control that d GMB government controld had no effect on business moguls, it was aimed at controling excessive profits. Another thing is am not a Buhari fan, am a nigerian who wants whats best for this country be it a hausa man, igbo man or an ijaw man, so long as that candidate is an advovate of peace, development and better change.
Just my thought.

Where you there then?

This as not about excessive gain.
Ask those who saw what happened.

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply)

Female Corper Caught In The Bush Destroying Ballot Papers In Imo (Photos) / Abdullahi Salame Shoots Dead An Armed Robber Who Attacked His House (Photos) / Which Is The Most Developed Geo-Political Zone In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 124
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.