Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,316 members, 7,846,395 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 03:37 PM

Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? - Romance (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? (60118 Views)

My Cousin Is Tempting Me , What Do I Do ? / My Cousin Is Crazy / Please, What Are The Signs That Your Cousin(female) Is In Love With You? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? by shallompreti(f): 8:06am On Nov 14, 2014
chimerase2:
oh just shut up
Wich kind of useless view do u want him to view ua useless post
Wat is even wrong with the mentality of some pple gon self
Is ur cousin not ur sista angry

I wonder oo. mumu talk
Re: Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? by Mescopaul(m): 8:07am On Nov 14, 2014
If it were moral enough for you to have sexual relationships with your cousin, you wouldn't see the need of asking if you could. For instance no one asks if its ethical to greet an elderly person, or to help the poor, because these things are moral.

For those saying that the Bible, God, does nt condemn it, now answer this: If morals is against something, is it God that will agree to such thing??

If our conscience condemns us, God is greater than our conscience.
Re: Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? by lilkudos(m): 8:13am On Nov 14, 2014
trisha01:

amen oo
oshee! Buh FYI dont say amen if you're a fat or huge lady... It might be a curse.. LOL!! Häppý birthday hun!!!
Re: Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? by taofeeq137(m): 8:15am On Nov 14, 2014
Happy bday @trisha01
Re: Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? by oyeludef(m): 8:18am On Nov 14, 2014
seemore:
Noah's kids must have married themselves after the flood. So there you go. . .
from sunday school knowlege i can remember dat noah had only sons(shem, ham and japhet) nd they were already married before d flood and their wives entered the ark wit them. Next time b sure of wat u r saying nd stop spewing trash thinking u r makin sense. I pity d 4 dummies dat liked ur post witout searching d bible to see if wat u were sayin was true.
Re: Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? by greall1: 8:20am On Nov 14, 2014
Yes because they are muslims

UkwuNnu:
Very common in the North, they also marry undecided
Re: Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? by MEILYN(m): 8:21am On Nov 14, 2014
Seun:
I don't understand what you mean.
grin grin grin You actually replied that guy? This Seun sef is very funny.....
Re: Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? by trisha01(f): 8:21am On Nov 14, 2014
lilkudos:

oshee! Buh FYI dont say amen if you're a fat or huge lady... It might be a curse.. LOL!! Häppý birthday hun!!!
lolz noo me na lekpa cheesy
Re: Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? by trisha01(f): 8:22am On Nov 14, 2014
taofeeq137:
Happy bday @trisha01
tnz dr
Re: Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? by rollykotex: 8:24am On Nov 14, 2014
donroxy:
Some culture allow it but only forbid marriage between Brothers/Sister .... Half brother/half sister , Aunts/Uncle, Nephew/Niece , StepMother/StepFather .......

Islam my religion allow marriage between cousins while Yoruba my heritage forbid it .... Me I'm indifference !!
I just asked someone in my office,and the person was so offended that u said islam allows that.He needs that verse of the quoran that supports it
Re: Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? by uchennaq(m): 8:29am On Nov 14, 2014
MOST PEOPLE HERE ARE REPLYING BASED ON IGNORANCE. GO TO THE BIBLE AND SEE THAT THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH COUSINS MARRIAGE. JESUS DOES NOT FORBID IT. CHARLES DARWIN MARRIED HIS FIRST COUSIN SO DID ELBERT EINSTEIN. LET US NOT ARGUE BASED ON HEARSAY BUT WITH FACTS. GO TO LEVITICUS, YOU WILL SEE LIST OF MARRIAGES FORBIDDEN BY GOD. COUSIN MARRIAGE IS NOT THERE.
Re: Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? by oyeludef(m): 8:31am On Nov 14, 2014
According to the bible, before a proper law was given to moses, people like abraham, isaac, jacob who where d progenitors of d israelite were allowed to marry from a close kin. The law dat was given to moses by God were more dan d 10 commandment. It included other ceremonial, moral ethic and we have alot of then in d book of leviticus. Lev 18:6(niv) says-no one is to approach any close relative to have sexual relations. I am the Lord
Re: Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? by greall1: 8:33am On Nov 14, 2014
I wonder why people dey shut abomination it also common among awori. {Lagosian} & part of yoruba land. The baby always name [IBIDAP0}. Meaning married same blood.

1 Like

Re: Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? by uchennaq(m): 8:34am On Nov 14, 2014
PDF:

YOU MUST NEVER HAVE SEXUAL RELATIONS WITH A CLOSE RELATIVE, FOR I AM THE LORD.

Leviticus 18:6

OGA PLEASE CLOSE RELATION IS NOT COUSIN BECAUSE THE BIBLE DID NOT SAY THAT. PLEASE DON'T CONTRADICT THE BIBLE, THE BIBLE CLEARLY DIFFERENTIATES WHAT CLOSE RELATION MEAN IN THE EXAMPLES GIVEN. IT IS YOU THAT IS TRYING TO SAY THAT CLOSE RELATIONS ARE COUSINS THAT'S BLASPHEMY PLEASE. IF COUSINS ARE FORBIDDEN SURELY THE BIBLE WILL MAKE IT CLEAR JUST LIKE IT MADE CLEAR ON BROTHERS, SISTERS, FATHER, MOTHER ETC.

go to cousincouples(dot)com
Re: Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? by charlsecy(m): 8:40am On Nov 14, 2014
Mescopaul:
For those saying that the Bible, God, does nt condemn it, now answer this: If morals is against something, is it God that will agree to such thing??
Stop appealing to your uninformed assumption or conscience. The Bible does not forbid cousin marriages. Something is not necessarily good or bad because people accept or reject it.

When twins were being slaughtered, it was acceptable by tradition, but was it godly?
Re: Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? by uchennaq(m): 8:42am On Nov 14, 2014
No website dealing with cousin relationships would be complete without exploring the Christian viewpoint. Christianity is a very large tent. From Appalachian snake handlers to the majestic liturgy of Eastern Orthodoxy, Christian beliefs run the full gamut. In this discussion, we will consider only the biblical history and acceptance of cousin relationships, as opposed to institutional creeds. (For a complete discussion on the Catholic Church, please see our Chat with an Expert page.)

For much of the world's population, the Bible is the final authority on right and wrong. This is true both of devout Christians as well as those who may have some vague, indiscernible root in the Christian faith. Perhaps Christianity was the faith of one's parent or grandparent, and although the individual does not particularly follow the faith, they were ingrained from childhood that God is the ultimate authority, and the Bible is God's instruction book to mankind. Whether one truly believes in the Bible or not, it seems to have become a social standard to attribute one's own assumptions of right from wrong on scripture. Unfortunately, many times the person who claims that something is "a sin against God," or that an individual will "burn in Hell" for his actions or lifestyle have no clear understanding of what Scripture says on the subject. Perhaps even more unfortunate is that many preachers, priests, and theologians have also allowed society to cloud their judgment on the issue, rather than to study what the Bible has to say on the subject for themselves.

A look at Leviticus

The Bible has a great deal to say about cousin marriage, and not once does it say anything negative. To the contrary, all references to cousin marriage in scripture are 100% supportive. Let's look first at how the Bible defines sexual impurity. In Leviticus chapter 18 (KJV), God tells us that we are not to have sexual relations with the following:

any close relative (which you will clearly see does not include cousins)

your mother

your father's wife

your sister, (whole or half) "whether she was born in the same home or elsewhere" (v.9)

your grandchild

the daughter of your father's wife (step-sister)

your father's sister (aunt) "as she is your father's close relative"

your mother's sister (aunt) "as she is your mother's close relative"

your father's brother's wife (aunt)

your son's wife

your brother's wife

with both a woman and her daughter

your wife's sister as a rival wife (to spite your first wife)

during "uncleanness of her monthly period"

with your neighbor's wife

with a member of the same sex; the Bible says "that is detestable"

with an animal; the Bible refers to this as "a perversion"

Those who oppose cousin marriage often use "any close relative" to base their opposition on. Others will say that just because cousins aren't specifically referred to doesn't mean God didn't mean to include them. They insist this list is just a general rule of thumb, not an all-inclusive command. I disagree. Leviticus is a book of law. It is very specific and very definitive. The passage begins with "any close relative", and proceeds to describe all that God defines as near kin, followed by other sexual acts which God forbids. To say that God meant to include cousins is to assume God made a mistake. To say that it is only a general list, you must wonder why God was so very specific that He included beastiality, homosexuality, and sex during a woman's menstrual cycle. Furthermore, the Scripture clearly and unmistakably defines an aunt (a mother's or father's sister) as the parent's close relative, not as one's own.

Historically, the Jews have never considered a cousin to be a "close relative" or too close to marry. In fact, professor Guntry (Westmont College) states that Jews in the 1st century often married cousins. "Cousins on the father's side were most preferred, though not always possible" (p. 35).

Now you may wonder why Leviticus forbids a man to marry his aunt, but not a woman to marry her uncle. Some may use that as proof that God gave only generalities. This is a common misunderstanding; however, God did not forbid uncles and nieces from marriage. Why the double standard?

First let me explain that society changes. Culture changes. God does not change. What was common during Biblical times is not acceptable by today's standards. That being said, let's examine why God would allow a man to marry his niece but would not allow a woman to marry her nephew.

When a woman was left widowed, the men in her husband's family were required to take responsibility of the woman. The deceased husband's nearest kin was commanded to take her as his wife. If she had borne no children to her husband, her firstborn to his relative was to be the legitimate heir to the deceased spouse. However, the nearest kin was also required to have the approval of his first wife before taking on a second. If the first wife was opposed to the marriage, or was related to the widow within the defined prohibitions, then she became the responsibility of the next nearest kin. The brother of the deceased was generally the obvious choice, although a widow's marriage to her father in law was fairly common. Because cousin marriage was allowed by God's law, and was in fact commanded of many individuals throughout scripture, the deceased husband's nearest relative was often the widow's uncle. If neither a brother nor father to the deceased was an option, the next nearest kin appears to have always followed a lateral or ascending direction. In no instance did a widow become the marital responsibility of her late husband's son, or his brother's son.

I will briefly list some of the individuals commanded or otherwise instructed in scripture to marry a cousin. For further information on these individuals and the circumstances, you may choose to read the scriptural passages associated with each. More detailed information will be included in the forthcoming book, which will be made available on this website upon completion.

Biblical Cousin Marriages

Each of the following individuals in scripture were in the lineage of Mary, Christ's mother, or Joseph, his "earthly" father, who were chosen by God to raise His son. Most, if not all, occurred (chronologically) after the time in which Levitican law was written. Zelophehad's daughters did as the LORD commanded Moses. Zelophehad's daughters, Mahlah, Tirzah, Hoglah, Milcah and Noah, married their cousins on their father's side (Numbers 36:1-11).

Milcah was married to her cousin, Nahor. They had a grand daughter named Rebekkah. In Genesis 24:48-51, the story unfolds of how, against all odds, God's direction for her to marry her cousin's son Isaac (first cousin once removed) is made crystal clear.

Isaac and Rebekkah had two son's. Jacob was the son whom was blessed to fulfill God's prophecy that the descendant's of Abraham (Jacob's grandfather, Isaac's father) would become a great nation. Isaac instructed Jacob to marry a daughter of Rebekkah's brother. Although he immediately fell in love and became engaged to his cousin Rachel, his uncle tricked him into first marrying Rachel's sister Leah. Although God blessed Jacob greatly, Jacob suffered much grief and heartache for having married both sisters. Jacob's descendants became what is now known as the twelve tribes of Israel. (Genesis chapters 19 and 29)

In I Chronicles 23:22, Eleazar's daughters married their first cousins. Very little detail is given of this event.
Conclusion

Biblical prohibitions of cousin marriage reside only in the minds of the unlearned. We can find many instances of where God had blessed cousin marriage. In fact, the New Advent encyclopedia finds that Christ's parents -- Joseph & Mary-- were first cousins. Protestants come to the same conclusion. Do I believe that Joseph and Mary were first cousins? It's likely, but I do not need this to validate my relationship. It will be fun to tease Joseph and Mary a bit when I get up there.

some people are fixated on the fallacy that cousin couples pose an intolerable risk to their offspring. However it is likely that we are all descendants of cousin marriages. Before civil laws banning cousin marriages, it was preferable to marry a cousin in some communities as it is to this day in many countries. The notion "why marry a stranger" is just as prevalent in many countries as the cousin marriage taboo in America today. There are a wide range of opinions on the subject of cousin marriages. This is fuelled by erroneous information, bigotry, and presumptions. Further we have civil laws and religious creeds based on obsolete information.

The facts about cousin marriages are much clearer.

Fears of cousins who marry having children with birth defects are exaggerated. Simply marrying within your own race increases the odds of birth defects. Marrying within your own town further increases your chances. Cousin couples have only a slightly higher incidence of birth defects than non-related couples.

26 states allow first cousin marriages; most people can marry their cousin in the US.
US prohibitions against cousin marriages predate modern genetics.
No European country prohibits marriage between first cousins. It is also legal throughout Canada and Mexico to marry your cousin. The U.S. is the only western country with cousin marriage restrictions.
Children of non-related couples have a 2-3% risk of birth defects, as opposed to first cousins having a 4-6% risk. Genetic counseling is available for those couples that may be at a special risk for birth defects (e.g. You have a defect that runs in your family) In plain terms first cousins have at a 94 percent + chance of having healthy children. Check the links section for more information on genetic counselors. The National Society of Genetic Counselors estimated the increased risk for first cousins is between 1.7 to 2.8 percent, or about the same a any woman over 40 years of age. Source: external link
Second cousins have little, if any increased chance of having children with birth defects, per the book "Clinical Genetics Handbook"

The frequency of cousin marriages in the USA is about 1 in 1,000. The frequency of cousin marriages in Japan is about 4 in 1,000
It is estimated that 20 percent of all couples worldwide are first cousins. It is also estimated that 80 percent of all marriages historically have been between first cousins!
In some cultures, the term cousin and mate are synonymous.
Albert Einstein married his first cousin. And so did Charles Darwin, who had exceptional children.
Franklin D. Roosevelt, the longest serving US president in history married his cousin (not a first cousin, however they shared the same last name).
Leviticus 18 lists all forbidden sexual relationships. Cousin relationships are not included.
God commanded many cousins to marry, including Zelophehad's 5 daughters, Eleazar's daughters, Jacob (who married both Rachel and Leah, first cousins), and Isaac and Rebekkah (first cousins once removed)
It is likely that Joseph and Mary -- Christ's earthly parents were first cousins.
Current studies indicate that cousin couples have a lower ratio of miscarriages -- perhaps because body chemistry of cousins is more similar. The verdict is still out.

We are all cousins. No two people are more distantly related than 50th cousins.

1 Like

Re: Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? by fpeter(f): 8:42am On Nov 14, 2014
God forbid bad thing! TUFIAKWA!!!!!!

though some religions accept it....as for me and my household
it is a taboo,a sacrilege and far be it from my entire family!!!!!
the mere thought alone is repulsive.....
Re: Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? by MEILYN(m): 8:45am On Nov 14, 2014
beebless:
hey, the bibble is strictly against that... Read your old testament very well. In christianity, marriage is only allowed between fourth generation cousins... Its ethically not right..
Quote the particular verse that is strictly against it...

1 Like

Re: Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? by JoanJohnson(f): 8:49am On Nov 14, 2014
From my personal view its wrong but biblically, the story of Jacob and Rachael will explain more. Genesis 29 down to verse 36.
Re: Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? by kwenu: 8:53am On Nov 14, 2014
from your post i noticed that u do read the bible but u aint got the holyspirit to direct u when u read. anybody can read the bible but to be inspired by it unto good work is one other thing,
you have to be very careful before you do your self harm than good.
Devils demons, witches, cultists, sorcerers, can also read the bible but they cant get good understanding because of the spirit in them. so they get bad understanding,

Even satan knows scripture more than u do but he lacks good understnding,

Please my dear brother when ever u read the bible, pray to the holyspirit to open your eyes.

uchennaq:

OGA PLEASE CLOSE RELATION IS NOT COUSIN BECAUSE THE BIBLE DID NOT SAY THAT. PLEASE DON'T CONTRADICT THE BIBLE, THE BIBLE CLEARLY DIFFERENTIATES WHAT CLOSE RELATION MEAN IN THE EXAMPLES GIVEN. IT IS YOU THAT IS TRYING TO SAY THAT CLOSE RELATIONS ARE COUSINS THAT'S BLASPHEMY PLEASE. IF COUSINS ARE FORBIDDEN SURELY THE BIBLE WILL MAKE IT CLEAR JUST LIKE IT MADE CLEAR ON BROTHERS, SISTERS, FATHER, MOTHER ETC.

go to cousincouples(dot)com
Re: Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? by salam1(m): 8:55am On Nov 14, 2014
I dnt v tyme for all dis ur hypocritical ways of thinking, wat do u v to say abt Adam nd eve nd how did d world multiply u people should stopdeceiving urrself nd face d fact. Cane nd abel were asked to marry dere sisters, if I should marry my cousin dat mins am even beta.
Re: Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? by Nobody: 8:56am On Nov 14, 2014
Youngzedd:
Hmm.

I must confess.

Odikwa very risky.

But babes plenty naa, why your cousin

Oya read this >> http://www.gotquestions.org/incest-in-the-Bible.html

Still doubting?

Read this >
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?dc=1&utm_expid=13466113-14.mkvZJx04TeSSGHAKrWaXKA.1&search=Leviticus+18&version=NIV&utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.biblegateway.com%2Fpassage%2F%3Fdc%3D1%26search%3DLeviticus%2B18%26version%3DNIV

Thank me later.
i checked through but didnt c anytin like do not av sexual relation with ur uncle's daughter for she is ur cousin.....havin sexual relation with ur close relatives is nt dat a sin,it only dishonour sm1
Re: Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? by uchennaq(m): 8:57am On Nov 14, 2014
fpeter:

though some religions accept it....as for me and my household
it is a taboo,a sacrilege and far be it from my entire family!!!!!
the mere thought alone is repulsive.....

I can see your mentality
Re: Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? by kinzation(m): 8:58am On Nov 14, 2014
me no fit do m o..tufiakwa
Re: Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? by dayveed1(m): 9:00am On Nov 14, 2014
I don't see anything bad in it, some years past I met a girl in Abj we dated for some couple of months, we only knew we are both from the same home town, not knowing she's my sister, not until we both went to the village during one Xmas period.. I was told she's my cousin that we should quit the relationship. it was really hard for us because the love was deep and strong but we can't do anything about it. even till tomorrow she'll still tell me she love.. hmmm but African mentality.
Re: Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? by uchennaq(m): 9:01am On Nov 14, 2014
salam1:
I dnt v tyme for all dis ur hypocritical ways of thinking, wat do u v to say abt Adam nd eve nd how did d world multiply u people should stopdeceiving urrself nd face d fact. Cane nd abel were asked to marry dere sisters, if I should marry my cousin dat mins am even beta.

I highly support you. Why I like the bible is because it does beat around the bush. If cousins marriage is forbidden, it will surely be explained clearly in the bible, simple

1 Like

Re: Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? by philclem(m): 9:02am On Nov 14, 2014
google1:
abomination
nonsense

Re: Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? by Galadimabawa: 9:04am On Nov 14, 2014
Cholls:
my brother so u r looking for someone to agree with you to date your cousin abi. Go ahead and f#(k your sister/cousin cry
Simple, you know his aim (he want to kcuf his sister)
Re: Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? by vitality22(m): 9:07am On Nov 14, 2014
All I can say is GOD FORBID
Re: Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? by successking: 9:28am On Nov 14, 2014
Benard94:
There is this raging arguement in my area as to if one could date/marry his/her cousin. Some stood frankly against it while others saw no crack in it. Apart, what is the measure of closeness where one could restrict dating? Is cousin-dating ethical?

There is no need asking whether ethical or not, Just go ahead and date your brother/sister after all is a free world where one does what one wants irrespective of ethics.
Re: Dating Your Cousin: Is It Ethical? by uchennaq(m): 9:32am On Nov 14, 2014
[b]LIST OF FAMOUS PEOPLE THAT MARRIED THEIR COUSINS AND YOU NOT BETTER THAN THEM. THEY ALL FAMOUS

Johann Sebastien Bach
Married his cousin Maria Barbara Bach in 1707. She died 1720. They had seven children including Wilhelm Friedemann and Carl Philipp Emmanuel

Werner von Braun
Married his first cousin Maria von Quirstorp. He was 35, she was 18.

Charles Darwin
Married his first cousin, Emma Wedgwood.

Albert Einstein
Einstein's wife was born Elsa Einstein and was Elsa Loewenthal at the time of their marriage (the second for both of them). They were double cousins - first on his mother's side and second on his father's.

Rudy Giuliani
Rudy Giuliani married his second cousin, Regina Peruggi, in 1968. When they separated after 14 years, he used this fact to obtain an annullment from the Roman Catholic church (they did not have a dispensation to marry)

Jessie James
Jessie James maried his first cousin, Zerelda Mims after a nine-year courtship.

Mary and Joseph

Aemilia Lanyer
She married a musician cousin, Alfonso Lanyer (October, 1592)

Jerry Lee Lewis
Jerry Lee Lewis married his second cousin, Myra Gale Brown in 1957. He was 22 or 23 and she was 13 or 14, depending on which account you believe, and it was his third marriage.

Sir John A. MacDonald
Married his first cousin, Isabella Clark (1811 - 1857)

Prophet Muhammad
Married cousin Zaynab bint Jahsh

Edgar Allen Poe
Poe married his cousin Virginia Clemm (1822-1847).

Christopher Robin
Known to all the world as Christopher Robin for the character in his father's writings, married his first cousin Lesley de Selincourt in 1949.

Franklin D. Roosevelt
FDR, the longest serving US president in history married his cousin (not a first cousin, however they shared the same last name).

Greta Scacchi
Although never married, actress Greta Scacchi has a long term relationship with her first cousin, Carlo Mantegazza. They have one child together.

Queen Victoria
Only three years after taking the throne, Victoria took her first vow and married her cousin Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha.

H.G. Wells
Married his first cousin, Isabel Mary Wells

WE NIGERIANS ALWAYS BEHAVE LIKE UNCIVILIZED PEOPLE. MY ARGUMENT HERE IS BASED ON FACTS NOT HEARSAY...OR VILLAGE PEOPLE NOO GO GREE...OR THE POPULAR TUFIAKWA. [/b]

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Seven Things More Pleasurable Than Sex! / Date With My Colleague: I Have Ruined My Reputation At Work. / Man In Tears As His Girlfriend Rejects His Proposal In Public

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.