Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,151 members, 7,818,467 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:29 PM

So Amnesty International Was Right Afterall? - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / So Amnesty International Was Right Afterall? (48507 Views)

Nigerian Military Buried Shiite Members Alive- Amnesty International. / National Conference: TINUBU Was Right Afterall / Ojukwu Was Right Afterall (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: So Amnesty International Was Right Afterall? by Onliie(m): 9:57am On Nov 17, 2014
Mogidi:

You can shove your boko haram sympathies elsewhere. Many people also got taken from Iraq to Guantanamo bay for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. If they were innocent there are courts of capable jurisdiction to hear their cases. You don't feed, clothe,mingle etc with terrorist and expect not to face the wrath of the law.
spoken like a true narrow-minded African man

3 Likes

Re: So Amnesty International Was Right Afterall? by zeemore: 9:59am On Nov 17, 2014
I believe Amnesty International 100%. Army brutality is even less compared to police brutality.

When the Police Force building (Louis Edet House) abuja was bombed by a suicide bomber, a classmate to a friend of mine was passing that area about the time the bomb went off. He was coming from the Federal Secretariat area and was getting close to the Police building when the bomb went off.

He got out of the car, witnessed all the commotion happening and brought out his phone to take pictures, and THAT WAS IT! From nowhere, a group of policemen came and arrested him on suspicion of being a terrorist. He was not the only one taking pictures at that time, but the policemen singled him out and promptly arrested him.

This guy I am talking about is a tall lanky fellow, with very dark skin. You dont need to look at him twice to be able to tell he is from the northern part of Nigeria and a muslim. That was how they arrested him and kept in detention without trial for ONE COMPLETE YEAR!

4 Likes

Re: So Amnesty International Was Right Afterall? by aurenflani: 9:59am On Nov 17, 2014
Mogidi:

At the peak of the Niger Delta campaign, notable Deltans acted as middle men to quell the uprising. Its foolhardy to assert bokoharam don't enjoy local support. If they don't enjoy local support why were the hunters able to rout them?

Mamman shuwa was gunned down to dead in his house just a few days after meeting President Jonathan over army atrocities which had became intolerable in Maiduguri. The elders of Borno met with him and pleaded that he go to Abuja on behalf of the people to talk to the c in c.

Atiku Abubakar sponsored locals, most of them hunters to go fight against boko haram. After a successful purge, the bokos were killed, the rest fled and Mubi was liberated. Now as we speak the vigilante group's head is being harassed!... why?

3 Likes

Re: So Amnesty International Was Right Afterall? by Nobody: 10:13am On Nov 17, 2014
Our men contributed to the growth of insurgency in the North. When you round people up on the street, slaughter them and label them boko haram members, you're certainly making people to be sympathetic to boko haram course. You do not kill my innocent brother and expect me to co-operate with you. Most of the insurgents today have lost innocent loved ones to our Army's brutality.
When has it become the responsibility of the Army to enforce dressing codes? Imagine Soldiers stopping a commercial bike rider and ordered him to rape his passenger, just because she dressed "indecently" The lady later committed suicide because of the shame. Some of these Soldier are among the ones court martialled and y'all begging for mercy? It wont happen.
There's a need for re-orientation of the system.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: So Amnesty International Was Right Afterall? by Yujin(m): 10:16am On Nov 17, 2014
I now understand why the Nigerian soldiers run away when bh come on the offensive. Thesame people you are risking your life to protect are thesame people that will hang you.
Don't most of the purported extra-judicial killings happen in the presence of the CJTF? I repeat again- this Nigeria is not worth dying for.

1 Like

Re: So Amnesty International Was Right Afterall? by Godmann(m): 10:35am On Nov 17, 2014
Stupid people.

Wake up, and think for once.

North or South, We are all God's creation.

Try and see the good in the other person.

Today the North is suffering and we southerners refused to see it.

It will certainly be our turn tomorrow. And we shall cry and no one will hear us.

Foolish clueless idiots.
Re: So Amnesty International Was Right Afterall? by samplegirl(f): 10:45am On Nov 17, 2014
ZUBY77:

Have you ever seen Boko Haram written on anybody 's face? No.
You catch and detain them for as long as necessary for investigation.
You only criticize the army if they don't release them.
Those people you call innocent could know the terrorists that live among them.
It happens that way all over the world. You should have known that.
Innocent people will die in the hands of army because you can't separate such things without mistakes.

It's called collateral damage. Every war happens that way.

Don't mind them.

2 Likes

Re: So Amnesty International Was Right Afterall? by Dannyset(m): 10:52am On Nov 17, 2014
texazzpete:

Yeah, this Mogidi fellow seems unrepentant and irredeemable. I see what you mean, I could have made far more productive use of my time by breaking some cups of Egusi cheesy

By March 2015, many like him will be roaming the streets once again. I only worry that with no morals, no conscience and no values, when this lucrative assignment as a paid sycophant is over, he and his cohorts may turn to armed robbery or kidnapping sad

texazzpete:

Yeah, this Mogidi fellow seems unrepentant and irredeemable. I see what you mean, I could have made far more productive use of my time by breaking some cups of Egusi cheesy

By March 2015, many like him will be roaming the streets once again. I only worry that with no morals, no conscience and no values, when this lucrative assignment as a paid sycophant is over, he and his cohorts may turn to armed robbery or kidnapping sad

texazzpete:

And I also don't think that calling someone an armed robber or kidnapper is a decent way of defending your political interest. IMO it is too insincere.

1 Like

Re: So Amnesty International Was Right Afterall? by Nobody: 10:55am On Nov 17, 2014
As usual, people arguing based on their political bias.
A buhari presidency would have been more brutal both on the innocent and the guilty.
Amnesty international should fucck off.
The US, the so-called freest country on earth still has torture chambers in guantanamo where many innocents are being tormented.
Maybe they should focus on that, afterall their HQ is in the US.

2 Likes

Re: So Amnesty International Was Right Afterall? by odunlamisegun: 11:03am On Nov 17, 2014
It right to give amnesty......
Re: So Amnesty International Was Right Afterall? by Cubeet: 11:03am On Nov 17, 2014
OK @Op in other Words let our Nigeria soldiers leave Yobe, Adamawa and Borno To avoid Violation of Human Right.

2 Likes

Re: So Amnesty International Was Right Afterall? by IdomaLikita: 11:04am On Nov 17, 2014
Firefire:

Don't worry NA will murder Fire-Fire one day... Go ahead and celebrate Impunity.

Fixed!
Re: So Amnesty International Was Right Afterall? by Firefire(m): 11:06am On Nov 17, 2014
IdomaLikita:

Fixed!

Bad company corrupt good manners

undecided

2 Likes

Re: So Amnesty International Was Right Afterall? by lastpage: 11:09am On Nov 17, 2014
texazzpete:

Again, you need to learn how to read. The people who are complaining are the ones that even the Army accept are innocent. When you have someone in detention for months with no trial, is it rocket science before you accept that something is wrong?

Lets not mix "Apples and Oranges" together!

That our Security forces are overzealous, brutish and generally inhumane is like saying some students cheat in their exams.
Its not NEWS anymore.

But l agree, whenever it is proven that someone has been abused by the security forces, after thorough investigation, if the "abuse was deliberate and avoidable" (like just arresting someone taking breeze in front of his house and locking him up in a Police Cell for days or weeks!), the members of the Security forces involved in such deliberate and avoidable torture, should be discharged from the security force, tried in a law court afterwards and jailed.... with compensation paid to the victim.

Having said that, there are situations where "genuine mistakes" are made and victims are unjustly arrested/tortured.
In such cases, compensation to the victim or family, should be made.

Now, that does not mean that some "closet supporters/informants" of terrorists can cry "abuse" at every opportunity
if circumstances show that the victim is able and can avoid the arrest that led to the torture and cannot justify why 'he' did not take the easier route of "avoidance' (like move away from a volatile situation when you had the chance)... then such person can be considered a "collateral damage"! Terrorists and those who hobnobs with terrorists cannot avail of human rights protection.

For example, we should look at the circumstances leading to the arrest of that student. Where, How, When?.

Finally, Military (Security Forces in general) Educators along the chain of command MUST start imbibing it in their rank and file that "abusing unarmed Civilians is NOT what makes them strong or fearful!
It only shows they are Bullies, lazy Cowards and should be Hated,....instead of being assisted and respected as obtainable in other climes

Nuff said!

Lastpage!

BTW:
Re: So Amnesty International Was Right Afterall? by NoContract(m): 11:23am On Nov 17, 2014
Why can't nollywood make a movie out of this?

Villageboi

2 Likes

Re: So Amnesty International Was Right Afterall? by experimentist: 11:28am On Nov 17, 2014
Mogidi:

So one UNIMAID student caught in the wrong place at the wrong time should be used to judge the military?

I did say the above and I repeat, as long as northerners are in cohort with bokoharam theirs very little outsiders can do to help end the insurgency. Shove your sympathies somewhere else.
Mr man will you shutt up there! Son of a bbitch!

1 Like

Re: So Amnesty International Was Right Afterall? by docadams: 11:29am On Nov 17, 2014
Mogidi:

See how re'tarded that statement is? The military for want of something to do, went to a poor students house and put him in jail for 3yrs. Did you bother asking why they left all adjoining houses but went to his? Flawless logic, now clap for yourself.

What is wrong with you? Are you from outer space? Even if one may not agree with texapette wholly it does not contradict what we know about the inhumane disposition of our security agencies towards the civilian population even during peaceful time. Or do you need lecturing on that?

1 Like

Re: So Amnesty International Was Right Afterall? by Tymax(m): 11:41am On Nov 17, 2014
Do we need any foreign body to tell us what we already know? Our soldiers lack discipline when relating civilians.

All those disputing the veracity of these claims are just blind loyalists. I pray you never find yourselves in the hands of these brutal soldiers. There is nothing like human rights when you are the mercy of Nigerian soldiers. Your offence is that you're a civilian.

If soldiers maltreat you, there is nothing you can do about it. Only to cry. That's all.

Have you forgotten the BRT incident in Lagos? Do you know how many people were brutalized just because they were holding their phones or making phonecalls? Just thank God for your peaceful life.

3 Likes

Re: So Amnesty International Was Right Afterall? by theyungmayor(m): 11:44am On Nov 17, 2014
both amnesty international and all it supporters are retard fools, what do u expect from soldiers who have lost their comrades to dis boko haram terrorist, they slaughter our soldiers, torture them, and do different inhuman things BT when we arrest any member u won't hear anything abt d investigation and everything dies down..... whether it true or nt I do not blame the Nigerian army

2 Likes

Re: So Amnesty International Was Right Afterall? by Mcowubaba: 11:46am On Nov 17, 2014
Rad1cal:
To hell with amnesty international and her proponents. All we want is for the activities of the haramites to be brutally cut short , even though unavoidable cases of collateral damage will be recorded.
hw will u feel if u are part of the collateral damage..

1 Like

Re: So Amnesty International Was Right Afterall? by misangel: 11:48am On Nov 17, 2014
Nigeians are confused........ this one go talk go up the other go talk go down
Re: So Amnesty International Was Right Afterall? by Ibejiaku(m): 11:53am On Nov 17, 2014
[quote author=Rasbajan post=28064149]

OP. I agree with you.

Do you know that we can cry & cry & cry again, yet nothing concrete would be done.

Welcome to 2015
Re: So Amnesty International Was Right Afterall? by BUSHHUNTER: 11:55am On Nov 17, 2014
texazzpete:

One? try the 200+ that the Army recently released. I've just highlighted one as an example. You do know what an example is, don't you?

PS: Usually, 'wrong place and wrong time' doesn't apply to someone's own bedroom.

more than 50 million Northerners. Care to show any research you have that all 50 million Northerners were 'in cohort' with Boko Haram?
If we agree that Boko Haram has less than 50,000 fighters, that's 0.1% of Northerners in active support.

I'm also not sure that your viewpoint isn't a clear example of religious intolerance and ethnic bias. I certainly didn't see loads of posts on Nairaland back then alleging that every single Niger Deltan was in support of the creek rebels. Why is it now different when it comes to the North?

You also have posts in your history where you laugh about Northerners being slaughtered by BH...then you turn around and claim BH enjoys wide support among Northerners. So which is it? Or does your hatred (and the crisp naira notes your masters pay you) cause intense confusion?

Re: So Amnesty International Was Right Afterall? by Nobody: 11:57am On Nov 17, 2014
texazzpete:
Just for Clarity

Army frees 42 detained 'Boko Haram Suspects'
https://www.nairaland.com/1984806/nigerian-army-frees-42-detained

UNIMAID student spent 3 horrible years in illegal Army detention

https://www.nairaland.com/1988547/unimaid-student-spent-3-horrible

Gross human rights abuses have been recalled by residents in the north east. Soldiers just torment the youths anyhow in the name of fight against Boko haram.

Illegal detentions, assault and battery cases, female molestation just to name a few.

2 Likes

Re: So Amnesty International Was Right Afterall? by jamace(m): 11:57am On Nov 17, 2014
Tell us what amnesty international is doing about boko haram that has being bombing innocent school children.

This thread is full of Boko haram sympathisers and propagandists.

Nigerians take note.

3 Likes

Re: So Amnesty International Was Right Afterall? by skyface00(m): 12:00pm On Nov 17, 2014
Even we common citizen who r not BH been violated since 1942 , i always pray never 2 have any issue with them , i witnz when police man use edge of gun 2 hit innocent guy down just 4 pleading on the proxy of a driver and d police men were looking and laughin, dis not a new thing in Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: So Amnesty International Was Right Afterall? by kraftykc(m): 12:05pm On Nov 17, 2014
Mogidi:

You don't join a terrorist organisation and expect human rights, that is the price you pay for chopping the heads of infidels off.

If one joins the BH ranks solely by origin then I believe 55% of Nigerians are BH members.

Stop generalizations, it makes every Igbo man a spare-part dealing money grubbing cocaine smuggler with a clothing shop in an overcrowded city.

2 Likes

Re: So Amnesty International Was Right Afterall? by akay48(m): 12:08pm On Nov 17, 2014
This thread shows how backward and ignorant we still remain as a nation.
Okay, a group of terrorists storm into a town, destroy lives and properties, pulls out immediately. The security agencies move in hours later, ramdomly picks anyone they 'feel' could be a terrorist, detains and torture them for months without trial or any convincing evidence that these people are actual terrorists. Now tell me, how would you feel if one of these people tortured were your family or even you.
For this singular sad reason, terrorism in this country will become worse by the day.

6 Likes

Re: So Amnesty International Was Right Afterall? by kraftykc(m): 12:08pm On Nov 17, 2014
jamace:
Tell us what amnesty international is doing about boko haram that has being bombing innocent school children.

This thread is full of Boko haram sympathisers and propagandists.

Nigerians take note.

Learn: AI is supposed to say where human rights violations occurs. AI HAVE documented BH's evils also, but why the NA should be competing with a terrorist organization for the award of most brutal killer of INNOCENT people is beyond me.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: So Amnesty International Was Right Afterall? by hybeenoni: 12:09pm On Nov 17, 2014
[quote author=Symphony007 post=28066301]Having lived in the Niger delta during the height of militancy, I can attest to the fact that most Nigerians soldiers are barbaric uncultured vampires. I know the amount of innocent young men killed because of frivolous claims that they were militants. They were not only killed but their poor bodies dumped in creeks meanwhile the real criminals went free and are now enjoying allowances, amnesty and education in foreign countries. You can seat in the comfort of your home and cheer on the barbarism or you can stand up and condemn what in going on in the north now. You may think it doesn't concern you but remember rain doesn't fall on one roof, yesterday it was the Niger delta, today it's the North, who knows where next. The vast majority of Nigeria soldiers are brave, patriotic hero's but we need to fight the gruesome ones peptuating barbarism. You can't fight terrorism by becoming a terrorist. Then what are you fighting?

1 Bobo 4 u!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

OBJ, IBB, Abdulsalami, Gusau, Abdullahi Are Supporting Peter Obi - Sowore / EndSARS Protesters Hit Osogbo Roads, Storm House Of Assembly / Copy Of The Petition Against The Deputy Senate President

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.