Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,230 members, 7,815,295 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:21 AM

Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? - Travel (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? (46738 Views)

Help! If You're Using Naira Atm Cards Abroad, What Is The Exchange Rate ? / Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 / Some Reasons Why Nigerians Abroad Are Not Coming Home (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by jacobs123(m): 12:48pm On Jan 13, 2009
This is a very interesting thread and I couldn't resist the urge to make a few comments even at the risk of repeating others.
People relocate for different reasons so a general advice will suffice.
Make sure you understand why you are relocating and your destination can offer some help in that area.
Be ready to work really hard as there are no pounds on UK streets or money on the streets of these other countries, it helps if you have good education.
Ensure that you are a legitimate immigrant and keep your legitimate status always as immigration laws change everytime.
Do not burn your bridges before you leave and maintain contact with Nigeria. I know of someone who because he won a green card did a fraud in his bank and ran away.
Be aware of your environment and try to acculturate in your new environment rather than just sticking with Naija friends and also get reliable information from friends/families on situation back home. You and only you should make the decision to go back if you are already outside, their info may/may not help.
Make sure you have enough money to settle down properly as people can be harsh outside the country.
Most Nigerians are economic migrants (even students) so if you fall into this category, do not be ashamed to take up odd jobs for extra cash especially if you have a lot of idle time.
Prepare for surprises and most of all be ready for discrimination (subtle or clear). Abroad is not Naija where foreigners are worshipped, you just moved from Second class citizen (if you are like most of us in Naija) to second class Non-Citizen/Citizen but there is hope!!!

I was in the UK a couple of years back and I hope I won't bore you with my experience and that of friends.
I came in for M.Sc and finished the M.Sc without a job in sight so had to do odd jobs in ASDA etc, eventually got a job here and work permit was arranged but also got an offer in Naija. The UK offer was in one of the BIG FOUR Audit firms but the offer at home (Oil coy) was too good so I left before work permit was stamped on my passport. I didn't want a situation where they'ld think I'm just after their permit especially as I was the only black person that was recruited. I defererred the offer in UK and went back home and eventually liked it and called off the UK offer. Personally, I wasn't ready to go home and search for jobs because I know how those proud recruiters will look at you wondering why you came back.
I compare my life now and my life as a poor student in the UK and I will tell you that in terms of quality of life especially as someone not given to frippery, I'm not much better. Yes I have a car, generator, inverter, gateman etc. Many of the things we show off in Naija are not just needed. In UK, I could go for mid-week fellowship, how easy is that in Naija for those of us who close early not to talk of the bankers slaving away from 5am - 9pm for the Jim Ovias. A friend's wife was asked by her boss (A married woman) in a bank why she can't sleep with a man to meet her target.
Now life can be tough outside but it's tougher in Nigeria.
people have talked about the dignity of labour and that is so lacking in Nigeria, the God we worship is MONEY even if it's dripping with blood. So many Nigerians are better off outside even as cleaners at least they won't ask their parents for money (let the old people enjoy their pension!!!). I don't understand the talk about being first class citizen. I certainly don't see myself as one yet as i have to leave the roads everytime I hear a siren and the lebanese is prefered to me in my own country. An expat in my workplace recently boasted to a colleague that he will pay a policeman to beat him up and it sure can happen. A police officer jumps down from a moving car to open the car door for our MD, is he a first class citizen. And what about those drivers, house maids, cooks etc who are living the dreams of people like Babajide Salu (no offense as he's helping them out) instead of their own dreams (when will they feel that slavery has been abolished) and to the person that says he can't wash plate for a whiteman, I say lucky you because right inside their fatherland many people are doing worse things and not just those drivers, some of our "Big Men" are doing the equivalent of washing white man's plate right inside Nigeria.

Just to butress my point about people traveling for different reasons, a couple left Naija as pressure was on wifey to give birth after years of marriage. They ran way from the families and God answered them so different strokes for different folks.
To those who want to relocate to Naija because people are becoming well off in Naija, things are not always what they seem. Naija has so much dirty money and you may just find out that you cannot do what they do. Business environment is tough also as you have to bribe everytime and if you will be a salary earner, I'd tell you to get a good offer and secure job and it becomes easy if you are like me and can adapt quickly especially if you grew up here.

14 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by sexxxxy(f): 2:44pm On Jan 13, 2009
jacobs123:

This is a very interesting thread and I couldn't resist the urge to make a few comments even at the risk of repeating others.
Make sure you understand why you are relocating and your destination can offer some help in that area.
Be ready to work really hard as there are no pounds on UK streets or money on the streets of these other countries, it helps if you have good education.
Ensure that you are a legitimate immigrant and keep your legitimate status always as immigration laws change everytime.
Do not burn your bridges before you leave and maintain contact with Nigeria. I know of someone who because he won a green card did a fraud in his bank and ran away.
Be aware of your environment and try to acculturate in your new environment rather than just sticking with Naija friends and also get reliable information from friends/families on situation back home. You and only you should make the decision to go back if you are already outside, their info may/may not help.
Make sure you have enough money to settle down properly as people can be harsh outside the country.
Most Nigerians are economic migrants (even students) so if you fall into this category, do not be ashamed to take up odd jobs for extra cash especially if you have a lot of idle time.
Prepare for surprises and most of all be ready for discrimination (subtle or clear). Abroad is not Naija where foreigners are worshipped, you just moved from Second class citizen (if you are like most of us in Naija) to second class Non-Citizen/Citizen but there is hope!!!

I was in the UK a couple of years back and I hope I won't bore you with my experience and that of friends.
I came in for M.Sc and finished the M.Sc without a job in sight so had to do odd jobs in ASDA etc, eventually got a job here and work permit was arranged but also got an offer in Naija. The UK offer was in one of the BIG FOUR Audit firms but the offer at home (Oil coy) was too good so I left before work permit was stamped on my passport. I didn't want a situation where they'ld think I'm just after their permit especially as I was the only black person that was recruited. I defererred the offer in UK and went back home and eventually liked it and called off the UK offer. Personally, I wasn't ready to go home and search for jobs because I know how those proud recruiters will look at you wondering why you came back.
I compare my life now and my life as a poor student in the UK and I will tell you that in terms of quality of life especially as someone not given to frippery, I'm not much better. Yes I have a car, generator, inverter, gateman etc. Many of the things we show off in Naija are not just needed. In UK, I could go for mid-week fellowship, how easy is that in Naija for those of us who close early not to talk of the bankers slaving away from 5am - 9pm for the Jim Ovias. A friend's wife was asked by her boss (A married woman) in a bank why she can't sleep with a man to meet her target.
people have talked about the dignity of labour and that is so lacking in Nigeria, the God we worship is MONEY even if it's dripping with blood. So many Nigerians are better off outside even as cleaners at least they won't ask their parents for money (let the old people enjoy their pension!!!). I don't understand the talk about being first class citizen. I certainly don't see myself as one yet as i have to leave the roads everytime I hear a siren and the lebanese is prefered to me in my own country. An expat in my workplace recently boasted to a colleague that he will pay a policeman to beat him up and it sure can happen. A police officer jumps down from a moving car to open the car door for our MD, is he a first class citizen. And what about those drivers, house maids, cooks etc who are living the dreams of people like Babajide Salu (no offense as he's helping them out) instead of their own dreams (when will they feel that slavery has been abolished) and to the person that says he can't wash plate for a whiteman, I say lucky you because right inside their fatherland many people are doing worse things and not just those drivers, some of our "Big Men" are doing the equivalent of washing white man's plate right inside Nigeria.

Just to butress my point about people traveling for different reasons, a couple left Naija as pressure was on wifey to give birth after years of marriage. They ran way from the families and God answered them so different strokes for different folks.
To those who want to relocate to Naija because people are becoming well off in Naija, things are not always what they seem. Naija has so much dirty money and you may just find out that you cannot do what they do. Business environment is tough also as you have to bribe everytime and if you will be a salary earner, I'd tell you to get a good offer and secure job and it becomes easy if you are like me and can adapt quickly especially if you grew up here.

Word,best reply yet,
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by oludunamis(m): 9:40pm On Jan 13, 2009
@Jacob

you sound like a man i know from somewhere northeast, even saw u in lagos @ a friend's wedding in ikoyi in october

anyway, very objective and not lopsided.
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by felifeli: 12:15am On Jan 14, 2009
Some days i wake up in Lagos and think this place is not fit for human beings . Some days I wake up in London and scream this is a slave ship how did I get myself enlisted here. Some days I wake up in Los Angeles and scream what the f**k !!. I am planning to emigrate to Vietnam next.
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by Mosetra(f): 1:05am On Jan 14, 2009
Hmmm! Interesting thread indeed!!! All i can say is that this is 2nd slavery. The great difference is that while in the first slavery people were taken by force, now we beg and humiliate ourselves in embassies to go slave for others. First time i visited UK , my salary in Naija was little yet i knew that i could never relocate hustle there. There is no better place to hustle than your land - atleast if the going gets tough, we still have some semblance of the communal life that used to exist within extended families - one uncle or auntie or even village man will sha help. After all, in Nigeria people can afford to be in civil service and still have time for business, family and religious activities. In most of these countries where my people are washing trains and dishes (esp in winter) u dont even have time for common sleep.

I think it is high time we learn to work hard; even without NEPA in Naija, u can buy gen and service with the amount used in paying bills over there and even have change left. But the truth is some people think there is a big, huge tree just over the seas where they will go and pluck money. Otherwise i cannot imagine why my country men and women will become objects of ridicule @ South African Embassy just for visa. SA of all places, what is there? SA that we helped free from apartheid.

At the end of it all, my conclusion is that "May God himself touch the hearts of our leaders so that the wealth of our nation can be used for the common good". Atleast, then we will differentiate between those who actually want honest labour and the indolents who have found a convenient excuse in "government no give us jobs". May God help us above all, to be able to afford those things that will help us live wholesome lives wherever we find ourselves cos at the end of the end of the day the reason we toil comes down to this: to have the basic necessities of life. Everything other thing "na jara!"
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by Echeozo(m): 3:43am On Jan 14, 2009
)
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by marknorris: 9:35am On Jan 14, 2009
Well, I have read this thread over and over again and i found out is a 100% fact. I have seen people wash away abroad all because we all want a better tomorrow. Sometime in life,we win some and lose some, All we should ask for before taking any step is 'direction'

I was lucky to visit Belgium some years back for holiday and i saw couple of Nigerians,mostly are not doing too well.I had the chance to ask a guy to visit me at my hotel room. I met him at the sub station cleaning the rails and he had a big coat over him cos of the cold,I looked at him and had the belief he was a Nigerian,I choose to talk to him and took him up my hotel room,We both exchange views,He studied Computer Science from a University in Nigeria and the way he spoke i knew this guy got something good upstairs to offer any employee.I offer him a cup of coffee and gave him 20euro,He was so pleased,I then ask him to move back to Nigeria,he says No! That people are counting on him for a better furture.He has being in Belguim for a year and half.

Is sad to see people in such a harsh condition,I know is not easy even in Nigeria.Sometimes i feel like going back to europe to live due to the fraustration in Nigeria but i always have it back of my mind is it going to worth it? What kind of job would i do?

The greatest fear is the fear of the unknown.

Am not saying you should not travel abroad,but watch before you leap,

Brothers and Sisters, Is a jungle up there! No one to feed you when you hungry or house you when you're in the cold. All man for himself.

When you dont have a family member upthere and you choose to travel

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by jemilady: 11:22am On Jan 14, 2009
@trustboy

Jemilady, i do not really understand why your hubby would convert from highly skilled migrant visa status which is a path to settlement to student visa which is not. If he plans to get settlement under the 10year residence rule, i am afraid he is taking a gamble because this is a concession outside immigration rules and plans are underway to remove it.

The highly skilled Visa was in my name and he was a dependant, and since i never relocated, it made good sense to revert to student visa. No we are not looking at 10 year residency plan, you know right now to renew your HSMP you need a salary of at least £40000PA or PHD to qualify. The PHD he is doing in on scholarship and is in the area of diversity management/conflict resolution. It comes with a lot of seminars/presentations which would put us in a better migration position or even leaving the UK altogether for greener pastures.
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by Nobody: 11:47am On Jan 14, 2009
jacobs123:

word
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by SegzyJoe(m): 3:00pm On Jan 14, 2009
many Nigerians left for uk or US not because they could not endured problems at home or because Nigeria has the worst standard of living in the world rather becos of the colonial mentality that going to UK or US means you re going to paradise. Travelling abroad from social point of view means different things to different people, average Nigerians believe travelling abroad boosts your status in life, that your well being is secured and that the mere fact that you re from london or US means you can have anything in Nigeria. That is why many of you guys abroad have robbed many poor guys of their hearthrob in Nigeria, becos an average girl in Nigeria can not say NO to Nigerian guy living abroad, infact most parents prefer ththe Londoner or the Americana to home boys. I think it is a general assumption that being in UK or US is automatic wealth or you assured of all the goodies of life and considering the level of poverty almost every Nigerian want to travel for a lift in their status.

I agreed with the post, people should critically weight their options, consider their life goals before venturing abroad, otherwise they may face unintended outcome. I think its high time those that have no businessbeing abroad should come back home and do something for their life.

I HAVE SAID THIS AGAIN AND AGAIN, WHOEVER SUCCEEDS IN UK OR US WILL SUCCEED IN NIGERIA. A FAILURE AT HOME CANNOT TRANSFORM TO AUTOMATIC SUCCESS ABROAD, SOMETHING ABOUT HIM MUST CHANGE.

It is true that circumstances, environmental and other factors changes people but then if most Nigerians abroad can do half of what they do in UK, US, France etc to succeed, I bet they will live a successful life in Nigeria.

My advise to those that re not finding things easy in abroad most especially because of the current economic crisis is to come back home, with their exposure, education, skills etc ,I have no doubt that they will get something to do or even creates jobs for the population of unemployed youths. There is no place like home, please come back home. WE LOVE YOU ALL.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by JJYOU: 3:29pm On Jan 14, 2009
wbb
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by BERNICIA(f): 4:52pm On Jan 14, 2009
I AM HAPPY TO BE HERE AT NAIRALAND ONCE AGAIN. IT'S BEEN A LONG TIME BECAUSE I TRAVELLED. I AM PRESENTLY DOING MY MASTERS IN LONDON AND I THINK THE SAYING IS TRUE.MANY OF OUR PEOPLE ARE HERE WITH LITTLE OR NO SAVINGS.INDEED,IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TANGIBLE DOING BACK HOME,KEEP TO IT AND WORK HARD AS WELL AS MAKE ROOM FOR EXPANSION. DON'T FORGET THE POPULAR SAYING,EVERYTHING THAT GLITTERS IS NOT GOLD. FINALLY,I WOULD LIKE TO THANK NAIRALANDERS AND THE PROMOTERS. GOD WILL DEFINITELY PROMOTE. YOU ARE DOING WONDERFUL JOB.
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by proudly9ja(m): 5:16pm On Jan 14, 2009
BERNICIA:

I AM HAPPY TO BE HERE AT NAIRALAND ONCE AGAIN. IT'S BEEN A LONG TIME BECAUSE I TRAVELLED. I AM PRESENTLY DOING MY MASTERS IN LONDON AND I THINK THE SAYING IS TRUE.MANY OF OUR PEOPLE ARE HERE WITH LITTLE OR NO SAVINGS.INDEED,IF YOU HAVE SOMETHING TANGIBLE DOING BACK HOME,KEEP TO IT AND WORK HARD AS WELL AS MAKE ROOM FOR EXPANSION. DON'T FORGET THE POPULAR SAYING,EVERYTHING THAT GLITTERS IS NOT GOLD. FINALLY,I WOULD LIKE TO THANK NAIRALANDERS AND THE PROMOTERS. GOD WILL DEFINITELY PROMOTE. YOU ARE DOING WONDERFUL JOB.

congrats, do not forget your motherland!
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by Nobody: 6:17pm On Jan 14, 2009
Quote from: jacobs123 on Yesterday at 12:48:10 PM

Definitely one of the more well-thought out posts.
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by jacobs123(m): 7:06pm On Jan 14, 2009
All,

Permit to digress a little, I found this interesting and I guess it's related with this subject.

http://www.nigeriavillagesquare.com/articles/philip-emeagwali/how-do-we-reverse-the-brain-drain.html

Please who will tell Nigerians the purpose of money and that money is not wealth?
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by bodsibobo(m): 8:30pm On Jan 14, 2009
@Mosetra

@ South African Embassy just for visa. SA of all places, what is there? SA that we helped free from apartheid.

So you think in your heart of hearts that Nigeria is better than sa? My friend, you can not even begin to compare. Let's leave infrastructure out of it and compare what concerns the ordinary man. I'll give you a true example I witnessed just a couple of days ago:

Recently I went with a local friend to a mechanic workshop in downtown Johannesburg to get a damaged part of his car replaced. Unlike the high class mechanics in the suburbs, this local mechanic (akin to our typical roadside mechanic in Nigeria) was going about the precarious and delicate work of chopping, welding and repairing the damaged part of my friend’s car with no form of protective clothing or garments whatsoever.

This to me was a grave danger to him as any mistake on that job may cost him the loss of a limb, an eye or finger depending on which was closest to the accident if it happened.

In my concern, I mentioned my fears to the guys and their sure response got me thinking of the effect if the same accident occurred to a road side mechanic back at home.

The guys assured me that if anything happens, the ER24 (ambulance response) are just a phone call away and depending on the intensity of the accident, they WILL be there in minutes (even in an helicopter if need be) to take the victim (a local mechanic) away to whatever hospital was closest by, and he would be adequately taken care of at the expense of the government.

Can a middle class government worker (who is s graduate), compared to this uneducated local mechanic in SA (FEW COUNTRIES AWAY ON THE SAME CONTINENT), boast of such treatment if he/she encountered the same tragedy in Nigeria?

Mr. Man, we should wake up to reality in Nigeria.

@ Jacobs123

Your post is the most correct reflection of things so far. The truest part of it is the fact that "people relocate for different reasons".

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by Ndipe(m): 12:20am On Jan 15, 2009
While we have different destinies in life, I would never ever advise anybody with a good job in Nigeria to abandon it, in search of greener pastures. Not worth it. For the most part, when you move abroad, you will do menial job to begin with, before ascending to plum jobs, which are now harder to get, with the economic malaise in America. No, dont do it, what else do you want in life, if you are already comfortable back home? I might come off as an individual who is 'trying to put sand in your garri,' but, honestly, abroad is not rosy as it is generally potrayed in the media. The nice thing about it is that the social services are reliable.
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by angelina08(f): 2:44pm On Jan 15, 2009
My advise to anyone relocating to Abroad is to keep praying to God as a Christian and don't forget to shin your eyes.
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by Busybody2(f): 4:51pm On Jan 16, 2009
SegzyJoe:

. . . That is why many of you guys abroad have robbed many poor guys of their hearthrob in Nigeria, becos an average girl in Nigeria can not say NO to Nigerian guy living abroad, infact most parents prefer ththe Londoner or the Americana to home boys. . .

Hmmn, and small time now, they would start yarning dust that "omo london" should be avoided like lepers, when looking for marriage materials angry What shocked Even the parents are at it too shocked Na real wa o lipsrsealed
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by adewumio: 11:41pm On Jan 26, 2009
This topic is quite interesting.  I've noticed that most contributors agree on the same point.  That leaving Nigeria to relocate to the UK (especially) is subjective.  Everyone has there own reasons and vision. 

Like the adage will say, one man's meat is another man's poison.  But what I really do not like is hasty generalization.  Are all Nigerians outside the country into menial jobs ? - I don't think so.  If that is the next job I will do in this country tomorrow, I will find my way back home immediately.  I can't just stand it. 

My people, it might be of interest for you to know this, Nigerians rank among the most successful immigrants in every country of the world.  There is virtually no career here in the UK (for example) where Nigerians are not well represented.  Doctors, Professors in top Universities, IT experts, etc.  Yes, if you come around here as a professional, you might have to overcome the racial barrier, but life is all about challenges. 

Developed countries are for hardworking, honest people with dreams.   If you come in legally, plug yourself in to the system (starting small and dreaming big),  no one will tell you that you're too old when you're ready to start looking for work. 

Before we generalize, let's try and see the +ve side of things and appreciate the difference between living and surviving.  Materialism and satisfaction.  I can go back home to survive in Nigeria, but I will rather live here in the UK, pay my taxes and see the money work for me, start an educational program with known admission and graduation dates, map out a 5 year plan of self development and see the dream come true without the interruption of a systemic failure caused simply because, everybody around is greedy and the citizens are good at keeping quite and coping.

Everybody complains of water, power supply, corruption, bad leadership in Nigeria, but that is where it ends.  We Nigerians are good at coping.  This is the most frustrating part.  We all want miracles, nobody is ready to say NO.  Honestly, I don't believe that is how to love one's country.

Good leaders don't just drop from heaven.  The fear of brave country men and women, who can stand up for their rights, makes good leaders.  This is completely missing in Nigeria.  I'm not waiting for things to be perfect in Nigeria before returning,  I'm not waiting for NEPA to be more regular or an improved security situation or leadership.  I will be on my way back home when people start calling their leaders into account.  When politicians are now afraid to rig elections because of what PEOPLE WILL SAY.  When people start asking for an improved quality of life as a right and not something that belongs to the privileged few. 

There is credit crunch everywhere in developed countries, but can we compare the reactions to these conditions in Nigeria to a country like Iceland where the prime minister and his entire administration has resigned.  Our central bank governor in Nigeria had just admitted the impact of the credit crunch on the economy a few days ago.   

Now, let's go back to the issue of menial jobs. I will like to ask this questions, why must the Nigerian artisan be so poorly paid and condemned to poverty.  Is there anything in Nigeria called "dignity of labour".   Is hard work without proper connections really rewarding in Nigeria ?  Why are teachers and lecturers so poorly treated when they are responsible for training the future leaders and hopes of the country.   What is even wrong with a graduate working as a car mechanic ?  I can remember a guy that came to fix a friend's car and get the MOT check done for him has an MBA.  He drove his own Mercedes Benz CLK (brand new) when he dropped by in the house to have a look at the car.

A plumber, who came to fix some problems in the same house came with a jeep and he also runs his company.  This list is endless.  Although, I wont go and do these jobs, but I have come to respect the system here for the respect it's got for hard work.  Friends, THERE IS DIGNITY IN
LABOUR.  The bible says "ANYTHING that your hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might".   A male taxi driver here in the UK can easily get married to an investment banker.   How often does this happen in Nigeria ?  Anyone can decide to take on any profession, as long as it's his preference and he's happy with it.  It's only in Nigeria, that people will see that as a bad idea.  And that is one of the problems with our society.

I left the country because I got sick of all these and several other things which PEOPLE COMPLAIN ABOUT EVERYDAY.  Why must doctors go on strike for every little pay rise and improved conditions of service ?  Will it be out of place to be tired of all these things ?  Is there really any social contract between the Nigerian citizen and the state ?

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by ohaechesi(m): 11:31am On Jan 27, 2009
bodsibobo:

@Mosetra

So you think in your heart of hearts that Nigeria is better than sa? My friend, you can not even begin to compare. Let's leave infrastructure out of it and compare what concerns the ordinary man. I'll give you a true example I witnessed just a couple of days ago:

Recently I went with a local friend to a mechanic workshop in downtown Johannesburg to get a damaged part of his car replaced. Unlike the high class mechanics in the suburbs, this local mechanic (akin to our typical roadside mechanic in Nigeria) was going about the precarious and delicate work of chopping, welding and repairing the damaged part of my friend’s car with no form of protective clothing or garments whatsoever.

This to me was a grave danger to him as any mistake on that job may cost him the loss of a limb, an eye or finger depending on which was closest to the accident if it happened.

In my concern, I mentioned my fears to the guys and their sure response got me thinking of the effect if the same accident occurred to a road side mechanic back at home.

The guys assured me that if anything happens, the ER24 (ambulance response) are just a phone call away and depending on the intensity of the accident, they WILL be there in minutes (even in an helicopter if need be) to take the victim (a local mechanic) away to whatever hospital was closest by, and he would be adequately taken care of at the expense of the government.

Can a middle class government worker (who is s graduate), compared to this uneducated local mechanic in SA (FEW COUNTRIES AWAY ON THE SAME CONTINENT), boast of such treatment if he/she encountered the same tragedy in Nigeria?

Mr. Man, we should wake up to reality in Nigeria.

@ Jacobs123

Your post is the most correct reflection of things so far. The truest part of it is the fact that "people relocate for different reasons".

spare this story nd thing of a better guest. South Africa ko, SA ni
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by Vuitton(m): 1:54pm On Jan 27, 2009
shocked
tongue
cry
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by babycool(f): 11:39am On Jan 30, 2009
I quite agree with most of the posts made here, but I want to ask, what exactly is dignity in labour? Why do we worship wealth in Nigeria, do you mean to tell me that our so-called leaders who are busy money laundering, feeding on other people's tax, doing a lot of corrupt and unlawful practices are in dignified position? We all know that they are political thieves yet we grovel around them so that they can part with the crumbs from thier illegal practices, Why are Nigerians never satisfied? When u are in Naija, you complain, in UK, you complain, In US, you complain, na heaven remain all I can say is any Nigerian relocating abroad should have a good reason to and remain focused, more so do it legally, if not please remain where you are.I  in Nigeriaf you can earn more money from cleaning a trains than sitting down in one office in Nigeria as a manager, no official car, your boss will send you all kind of messages( even to organise markets for him!) you work over time without being paid for it, the meager salary does not even come on time and you are busy doing sir! sir! for this man, dignity for me is doing a legitimate job that makes you earn enough to take care of your self and our family(not extended) Shikena.
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by Redman44(m): 10:00pm On Feb 21, 2009
Hmnn, very interesting thread. Everyone has reasons for staying in Nigeria or moving abroad. No one should be criticised for travelling to the UK, USA, Canada or other countries in Europe. I have seen people that went to Western countries on Visit visas and today, they are citizens of those countries. I have also seen Nigerians with work permits in the UK who have achieved nothing after so many years here. There is a place for everybody under the sun.

Europe might be tough to live in but the hardworking and God fearing immigrants will always make it. Many Nigerians in Europe are very dubious in nature. Some of them do not wish their siblings well and bad belle is prominent in their dictionary. There was a young man who came to an European country on a visit visa. Since he was not permitted to work, he had to use his brother's documents to work. His brother was already a citizen of that country. What happened was that James did not wish his younger brother well. Peter happened to be very intelligent and hardworking. He had a talent for repairing electronic products. Peter got a job in a factory where he picked and packed gifts. The painful and shocking thing was that James was spending Peter's earnings, since his brother's wages was paid into his bank account. He would only give Peter some pittance out of his weekly wages. Peter was working like an elephant and eating like a ant.

Peter suffered for about 8 months until he decided to do something about his situation. He complained to an asian colleague at work who felt for him. The asian lady took him to a social worker who was shocked to hear his story. The social worker took up his case and contacted a lawyer who was good at fighting for Immigrants. The Lawyer did not care if Peter was an illegal immigrant. He handled the case Pro Bono. The social worker and the Lawyer took the case to court. Peter's brother was summoned to appear before the Magistrates in the court in the European country's capital. The jury was deeply moved by Peter's testimony. Do you know what happened? James was convicted of treating his brother badly and spending his money. Though the country's government knew Peter was working illegally with his brother's documents, they did not deport him. He was given refugee status, and when they discovered that he had outstanding technical abilities, they gave him permanent residence status. They got him accomodation and moved him to one of the country's technical institutes. He was paid to teach white youngsters there. James, the greedy and wicked brother, was jailed for 3 years.

What I want to say is this- God is in charge of your destiny no matter the country you live in. No matter your status in that country. Talented people will always dine with kings. I know of a Nigerian in London who does not have documents to work, but he's making money online as a writer. He is good at blogging. He has two online blogging jobs and he's able to pay for his room and send money home. Nigerians need to understand that that the white man appreciates hardwork and geniuses. I will not advice anyone not to leave Nigeria. Just know what you're doing and be focused anywhere you are. The favour of God is important than trying to do things by yourself. I will aslo advice Nigerians who want to return home to look for businesses they can engage in rather than applying for jobs in our motherland. All the years you've spent in Europe and America should have been used to study how they run their businesses here. Cheers.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by beefy23(m): 4:47pm On Feb 25, 2009
If you can avoid going abroad and living there illegally, avoid it; have a look at this report on the BBC about some of the conditions you might have to put up with

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7908910.stm

Is it really worth it? Methinks not
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by insight04: 6:28pm On Feb 25, 2009
beefy23:

If you can avoid going abroad and living there illegally, avoid it; have a look at this report on the BBC about some of the conditions you might have to put up with

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7908910.stm

Is it really worth it? Methinks not

Bad scare tactics. I encourage every Nigeria who has the dream/vision/aspiration/incentive/motivation to travel abroad to go ahead and pursue it.

Proverbs 26:13 "A lazy person says, "There's a ferocious lion out on the road! There's a lion loose in the streets!".Make adequate preparations and take that bold step-irrespective of the negative stories .
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by beefy23(m): 10:20am On Feb 26, 2009
^^^

No one's saying anything about scaring anybody, you do have to ask yourself if it's worth living as an animal in a foreign land or living free in your own homeland. If you have the means to go and make a legitimate living, go for it and don't hold back.

The same bible you quoted says something about respecting the laws of the land. As Nigerians we have to try and break out of the vicious cycle of breaking every law we know and then expecting God in Heaven above to bless us. If it doesn't start with our generation, we're never going to amount to much as a nation.

My own $0.02c
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by mistercee: 5:32am On Dec 04, 2009
Let us call a spade a spade .Most Nigerians professionals and non professionals are suffering and doing odd jobs abroad.Some don't even have the money to buy the flight ticket to travel back to Nigeria.Inshort it is unfortunate that even the people who are suffering here don't tell their relatives backhome the truth about how difficult it is to live abroad.
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by tracy56(f): 7:23am On Dec 04, 2009
u are right, every body destiny is not the same
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by Nobody: 12:29pm On Dec 04, 2009
mistercee:

Let us call a spade a spade .Most Nigerians professionals and non professionals are suffering and doing odd jobs abroad.Some don't even have the money to buy the flight ticket to travel back to Nigeria.Inshort it is unfortunate that even the people who are suffering here don't tell their relatives backhome the truth about how difficult it is to live abroad.

If you don't have any reasonable contribution to this thread, I will kindly advise you to keep shut  undecided
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by Ndipe(m): 9:17pm On Dec 04, 2009
faakay:

If you don't have any reasonable contribution to this thread, I will kindly advise you to keep shut  undecided

But it's the truth now. Some, not most.
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by tracy56(f): 12:05am On Dec 05, 2009
everybody relocate to abroad for different reasons, as for me leaving home was the best option i have ever took in my life , now i can work and go to school the same time with out sleepin with a man ,or beggin relatives for help, so everybody has his or her reasons for relocating.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Vehicle Offence In UK And Nigeria, LASTMA Example (pics) / Beautiful Pictures Of Ikoyi, Lagos (video) / Bizarre Illegal Immigration Techniques: How People And Drugs Are Smuggled.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 187
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.