Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,206 members, 7,815,203 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:58 AM

Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? (46736 Views)

Help! If You're Using Naira Atm Cards Abroad, What Is The Exchange Rate ? / Nigerians Abroad Sent $21Billion Home In 2015 / Some Reasons Why Nigerians Abroad Are Not Coming Home (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by Busybody2(f): 5:15pm On Nov 26, 2008
*osisi:

an alarm so that those changing their names and growing bia bia to arrive at the embassies for the millionth time know exactly what to expect

Snap grin grin grin
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by Busybody2(f): 5:16pm On Nov 26, 2008
There was this other thread that people had spent close to £30,000 in their bid to travel abroad, how many years would it take to recover that amount shocked
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by Hesperus(m): 5:17pm On Nov 26, 2008
I agree with Osisi, as long as you have a goal and stay focused.
I remember when my sis came here for her degree, she did odd jobs too cos she had to eat n pay bills, and u cant keep asking for money from home all the time.
Now she's done and works for a top Law firm here in UK, tho she's d only black person there. And the funniest thing was that d contact who helped her with the job, she met thru dat same odd job.
Such is life.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by osisi6(f): 5:22pm On Nov 26, 2008
Busy_body:

@ osisi

Where is the job here too, on average 1600 jobs are being lost daily and people are joining the dole queue. Go to the hospital A&E it is full of alchoholics who have lost their jobs and turned to alchohol.

As for the family one, that's the one that sends a shock to people's spine. The rate at which people ask their close relatives to leave is alarming. Can you imagine how many people arriving in UK and staying with your own blood sister and being asked to live after two weeks that they cannot afford to look after you again.

Hmmn, i don't even want to start on the number of people who arrive at the airport to find out that noone had bothered to come and pick them up. When you eventually get through to them, they tell you to take the public transport and find your own way shocked

This is a different environment so visitors should not expect to harboured till eternity.
Personally I only allow holiday makers in my home.
anyone with a visitors visa hoping to turn illegal and stay on is not welcome ,even if he's my blood relative
I can't arrange illegal marriage and don't have the time to drive people around looking for jobs and what if they fall sick ?
It's a big responsiblity to keep people with no concrete plans
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by damiso(f): 5:23pm On Nov 26, 2008
Busy_body:

There was this other thread that people had spent close to £30,000 in their bid to travel abroad, how many years would it take to recover that amount shocked

are u for real? shocked shocked shocked shocked£30,000? na real wa.pls is living abroad Euro millions lottery.
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by damiso(f): 5:25pm On Nov 26, 2008
*osisi:

This is a different environment so visitors should not expect to harboured till eternity.
Personally I only allow holiday makers in my home.
anyone with a visitors visa hoping to turn illegal and stay on is not welcome ,even if he's my blood relative
I can't arrange illegal marriage and don't have the time to drive people around looking for jobs and what if they fall sick ?
It's a big responsiblity to keep people with no concrete plans

Quite harsh but practical.people yab my sis in law about that but now i am begginning to see her point.when you advise people to go back home and not overstay illegally some of them hate u.My hubby and his sis have so many of their cousins that don't talk to them because of this.
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by osisi6(f): 5:32pm On Nov 26, 2008
damiso:

nice story osisi but[b] some people are in that your category at the moment and some nigerians will look down on them.my bro in law also had to go through all that when he first relocated to america but he is doing quite well now[/b].i really don't like the way nigerians make fun of certain jobs.for some  people those jobs are just a means to an end.Also agree for you to have a clear idea of your destination not just wanting to 'travel' beacuse everyone is travelling or beacuse 'abroad'i.e 'ilu or obodo oyinbo' is heaven.You are in for  rude shock.
You have to struggle man.nobody gives u anything for free.
I remeber when i was in UNI apart from my parents,i had like 2 uncles who saying Good morning to meant like 5 or 10k for baffs,where you wan see that one abroad.Your are On.Your.Own.Its good small sha it makes you appreciate when people give you because i sure know i used to take people giving me things for granted alot when i was younger.

Menial jobs as a temporary solution is Ok.It's survival job.
If a person with a degree leaves Naija  and comes here and for 3,4,5 ,8 years later, they're still changing diapers in a nursing home
Something is wrong
That's not right
That individual ought to enroll in school and study a marketable course or perhaps relocate to a new state and make new progressive friends

Another problem with Nigerians is that we all tend to cluster in the same areas with high naija population when we arrive
That's good initially but can be detrimental in the long run if care is not taken.
People would advise you based on their experiences and you could make fatal mistakes in the process.
There's a time to fashi the Nigerians you know and venture out with God's leading.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by Busybody2(f): 5:40pm On Nov 26, 2008
damiso:

Quite harsh but practical.people yab my sis in law about that but now i am begginning to see her point.

You do see in the end but initially you think how could people be so cruel, but saying this though, i know people who were illegal in this country, work and pay their salary into their hosts account only for the host to ask them to leave or change the locks.  

I met a girl who did five cleaning jobs for eight months, but whose sister ended up accusing her of wanting to sleep with her husband and throwing her out. She was thrown out without a dime, all she had was the clothes on her back.

She told me she started her first work at 4am-6am, then go somewhere else from 6am-8am, then she did 8am-4pm, then 4pm-6pm, then 6pm-11pm shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked And her sister sat on all this money, chei. The last I heard, she got a waitessing job working for this local joint called - Iyabo Onigbin - where clients tap their bum whenever the waitresses walk past shocked Tufiakwa
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by MT: 5:44pm On Nov 26, 2008
@osisi
If a person with a degree leaves Naija and comes here and for 3,4,5 ,8 years later, they're still changing diapers in a nursing home
Something is wrong
That's not right

Gbam!. I TOTALLY agree with u.
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by Busybody2(f): 5:45pm On Nov 26, 2008
*osisi:

If a person with a degree leaves Naija  and comes here and for 3,4,5 ,8 years later, they're still changing diapers in a nursing home
Something is wrong
That's not right
That individual ought to enroll in school and study a marketable course or perhaps relocate to a new state and make new progressive friends . . .

I think its because they don't have the time to study, a lot of people come here on study visas, but drop their course because they feel they can quickly work and make some few bucks instead, before they know it, years has passed, then those back at home would start hassling them to arrange for their younger one's passage to abroad too. Heaven help our country Nigeria cool
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by damiso(f): 5:45pm On Nov 26, 2008
Busy_body:

You do see in the end but initially you think how could people be so cruel, but saying this though, i know people who were illegal in this country, work and pay their salary into their hosts account only for the host to ask them to leave or change the locks.  

I met a girl who did five cleaning jobs for eight months, but whose sister ended up accusing her of wanting to sleep with her husband and throwing her out. She was thrown out without a dime, all she had was the clothes on her back.

She told me she started her first work at 4am-6am, then go somewhere else from 6am-8am, then she did 8am-4pm, then 4pm-6pm, then 6pm-11pm shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked And her sister sat on all this money, chei. The last I heard, she got a waitessing job working for this local joint called - Iyabo Onigbin - where clients tap their bum whenever the waitresses walk past shocked Tufiakwa

That her host is wicked o.all because she know that the poor girl would freeze at the sight of police.It is things like that made me decide that illegal immigration is not worth it.Its bad enough being black but now having to shrink or die for 69 secs when u see police is not worth it.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by Busybody2(f): 5:47pm On Nov 26, 2008
i have met people that had to sleep on buses and in telephone booths for weeks because they are destitute or no one bothered to turn up for them at the airport cry
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by Busybody2(f): 5:51pm On Nov 26, 2008
damiso:

That her host is wicked o.all because she know that the poor girl would freeze at the sight of police.It is things like that made me decide that illegal immigration is not worth it.Its bad enough being black but now having to shrink or die for 69 secs when u see police is not worth it.

The host is the sister, can you imagine undecided Open a thread to allow people describe their experiences abroad and how they survived the first few weeks abroad, you will see people with stories that would move you to tears.
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by osisi6(f): 5:54pm On Nov 26, 2008
Busy_body:

The host is the sister, can you imagine undecided Open a thread to allow people describe their experiences abroad and how they survived the first few weeks abroad, you will see people with stories that would move you to tears.

But if my sister comes here and starts eyeing my man,I'll throw her out too
and that's a lesser evil that killing her and burying her in my flower bed grin
how dare she?
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by osisi6(f): 5:58pm On Nov 26, 2008
I know a man in London that started drinking and hanging out in the parks with homeless men.
A doctor o who was  a medical director of a hospital in Sokoto before he left.
Frustration set in when he couldn't pass his exams initially
His wife wanted to run back home with the kids and he hid the passports.
But things  changed for them eventually.
He told this story himself.
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by Busybody2(f): 6:02pm On Nov 26, 2008
*osisi:

But if my sister comes here and starts eyeing my man,I'll throw her out too
and that's a lesser evil that killing her and burying her in my flower bed grin
how dare she?

It's not always true na, they just need any excuse that all cheesy cheesy cheesy You know how they count all their pennies in London na cheesy They switch off the lights every minute, they hate you for watching TV and wasting electricity, etc cheesy Poverty too much for London grin
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by Busybody2(f): 6:05pm On Nov 26, 2008
*osisi:

I know a man in London that started drinking and hanging out in the parks with homeless men.
A doctor o who was a medical director of a hospital in Sokoto before he left.
Frustration set in when he couldn't pass his exams initially
His wife wanted to run back home with the kids and he hid the passports.
But things changed for them eventually.
He told this story himself.

Hmmn, imagine this happenning to a doctor, yet people with no qualification would sell their mother and father just to travel abroad undecided I see people who have been driving cabs, working as a cleaner, carer, etc who have been on the job for 30 years with nothing to show for it and just living from hand to mouth.
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by vicade(m): 6:08pm On Nov 26, 2008
If you have sound qualifications and you are hard working and can back all your qualifications in the case of any assessment, yyou are good to go in London cos quality is rewarded. Other wise, you can either be a cleaner or fraudster to make ends meet in broad contextual terms
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by osisi6(f): 6:11pm On Nov 26, 2008
Busy_body:

It's not always true na, they just need any excuse that all cheesy cheesy cheesy You know how they count all their pennies in London na cheesy They switch off the lights every minute, they hate you for watching TV and wasting electricity, etc cheesy Poverty too much for London grin

The miserly way of life in England is terrible.
You'll even feel bad eating their foods.
We once stayed in a flat with central heating.
My hubby and myself almost turned to icefish by morning.
They told us it wasn't yet time to turn on the heat. shocked shocked shocked shocked
freezing cold weather,a couple straight from Naija left to freeze to death because of  miserly UK
we dressed up like eskimos every night to go to sleep.
The romance in our marriage disappeared for the length of time we stayed there since I wasn't ready to turn to stockfish all in the name of cuddling.
That experience still sends shivers down my spine.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by HRhotness(f): 6:15pm On Nov 26, 2008
dont get carried away by all the shops and sale signs and credit card offers. . . infact stay away frm all offers until u knw ur way around and understand d way stuff works!
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by biola4real(m): 6:20pm On Nov 26, 2008
Ajo oda bi ile!

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by Busybody2(f): 6:21pm On Nov 26, 2008
*osisi:

They told us it wasn't yet time to turn on the heat. shocked shocked shocked shocked
freezing cold weather,a couple straight from Naija left to freeze to death because of miserly UK
The romance in our marriage disappeared for the length of time we stayed there since I wasn't ready to turn to stockfish all in the name of cuddling.

Not yet time to turn on the heating LOL grin grin grin
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by KarmaMod(f): 6:22pm On Nov 26, 2008
Busy_body:

Yet people fall head over heels to go there

not even betta country tongue
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by osisi6(f): 6:23pm On Nov 26, 2008
karma it's easier to get a visa to England than America so there you go
meanwhile how was your trip.
did you see sauron and pataki in the hell hole they call flats grin
One flat like this can have 15 Nigerians living in it, hustling.
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by vicade(m): 6:32pm On Nov 26, 2008
*osisi:

freezing cold weather,a couple straight from Naija left to freeze to death because of  miserly UK

You are overdoing it. The miserly way of life in any country is terrible and i am yet to see otherwise so you are only stating the obvious.Unless you believe the miserly way of life in england is worse than Nigeria then it will depend from what context you are looking at it.
England is lovely .If you have a house of your own you can turn on the heat or water heater 24/7 as long as you pay the bills. Go to peckham or Dalston and tell me which nigerian food you can't get. why will you even want to eat english food? i can understand chinese/ Indian/Kebabs but english?

If you can't afford to pay for your heating then whose fault is it that u dress like an eskimo or freeze to death. No food or heating for lazy man. There is no place like Naija but England is not as bad as people say. You can be a cleaner to pay your bills and attend school but that is temporary. Quality and hard work is lawys rewarded.

And most people who find it tough over a long period of time are those who lack relevant documentation and are stuck in the country. That is another topic entirely.
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by KarmaMod(f): 6:38pm On Nov 26, 2008
*osisi:

karma it's easier to get a visa to England than America so there you go
meanwhile how was your trip.
did you see sauron and pataki in the hell hole they call flats grin
One flat like this can have 15 Nigerians living in it, hustling.

hahahha. It's a good thing too. We have enough mad people  tongue

It was good, maybe because it was the summer and there was no need to beg for heat

The friend I stayed with lives with her family so things were good.

Another friend I visited lived alone/with a roomate. Come see room. I could barely twirl around without getting a concussion. So bloody small. It's ridiculous because this girl is like 5 inches taller than me.

na wa for midget housing island  grin
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by KarmaMod(f): 6:43pm On Nov 26, 2008
vicade:

Y. Go to peckham or Dalston and tell me which nigerian food you can't get. why will you even want to eat english food? i can understand chinese/ Indian/Kebabs but english?

If you can't afford to pay for your heating then whose fault is it that u dress like an eskimo or freeze to death. No food or heating for lazy man.

If you werent so defensive, you wouldnt be yarning dust

What part of "you even feel bad eating THE HOST's food" did you not get?

as for affording to pay heating, she was referring to the host/people she was staying with. How they didnt turn on the heat

Duh
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by Tonim(f): 6:43pm On Nov 26, 2008
*osisi:

That was really funny grin I've heard lots of these 'tories from england cry
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by Busybody2(f): 6:52pm On Nov 26, 2008
vicade:

You are overdoing it. The miserly way of life in any country is terrible and i am yet to see otherwise so you are only stating the obvious.Unless you believe the miserly way of life in england is worse than Nigeria then it will depend from what context you are looking at it.

However you want to compare it and despite the suffering in Nigeria, Nigerians in Nigeria are not as miserly as Nigerians in diaspora, especially those in Britain. They are too frigging tight and are always jealous of the success of other Nigerians.

@ Topic

Once you come into this country, you are on your own. Even if someone agrees to put you up, don't overstay the welcome, find your own feet and get your own place after two weeks or the relationship will become strained and they would start to esent you for being in their cramped space and eating their food and using thei electicity and gas, you have been warned, you will suffer if you don't act fast.
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by vicade(m): 6:57pm On Nov 26, 2008
KarmaMod:

If you werent so defensive, you wouldnt be yarning dust

What part of "you even feel bad eating THE HOST's food" did you not get?

as for affording to pay heating, she was referring to the host/people she was staying with. How they didnt turn on the heat

Duh

How am i defensive? I am a naija boy and only stating the obvious. There are nigerians working as cleaners and security at Tesco and O2 centre and there are Nigerians working at PWC and Deloitte as professionals.

People make it in london/UK and go back to naija to be big after cleaning floors in London probably to fund their school fees while others are just living from hand to mouth in london.

London is tough but quality and hard work is always rewarded .

Busy_body:

However you want to compare it and despite the suffering in Nigeria, Nigerians in Nigeria are not as miserly as Nigerians in diaspora, especially those in Britain. They are too frigging tight and are always jealous of the success of other Nigerians.

There are Nigerians and there are Nigerians. I take it that the Nigerians you are referring to are COCONUT Nigerians

e.g. a guy spends 20 years in Nigeria and spends one year in the UK and suddenly starts forming the british accent, such guy is a coconut-Brown outside but white inside and such people are the people u refer to as tingy and all that.
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by Busybody2(f): 7:00pm On Nov 26, 2008
Beware of kokoro to njefo insect destroying vegetables and so called friends

Nigerians are bad at snitching and calling immigration to come and deport their illegal brothers etc Some of them don't also wish their colleagues well at work and some would do all they can to get their fellow Nigerian co-worker sacked, unlike the Asians who help each other and look out for each other.

Go to any shop where an Asian person is the Manager, six months later, most of the people working their would be Asians, sad the same can't be said for us blacks. Like Damiso's jealous West Indian colleague undecided
Re: Nigerians Abroad: What Advise Will You Give Anyone Relocating Abroad? by Busybody2(f): 7:04pm On Nov 26, 2008
vicade:

There are Nigerians and there are Nigerians. I take it that the Nigerians you are referring to are COCONUT Nigerians if you get what i mean wink

Ain't talking about the coconuts, like I mentioned earlier even middle class people on salaries of £30,000 and above are suffering and smiling cheesy cheesy cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Vehicle Offence In UK And Nigeria, LASTMA Example (pics) / Beautiful Pictures Of Ikoyi, Lagos (video) / Bizarre Illegal Immigration Techniques: How People And Drugs Are Smuggled.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.