Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,907 members, 7,814,068 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 05:22 AM

My Funny Experience In A Nigerian Hospital (must Read) - Health (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / My Funny Experience In A Nigerian Hospital (must Read) (24943 Views)

UNBELEIVABLE- Nigerian Hospital Stockpiles Corpses In The Open (pictures) / Why! Why! Why! Nigerian Hospital In A Big Disarray! / Nigerian Hospital Closes Hole In Heart… Without Surgery (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Funny Experience In A Nigerian Hospital (must Read) by Nobody: 8:03am On Dec 03, 2014
Nice story...keep underating niger docs. Seems u fgot dt in dz part of the world ,all forms of fever are either malaria or typhoid or bth until proven otherwise.anoda issue most patients do not like to wait in d hospital dy just want to hurry hurry up n go.dz is a big prob in Niger,d Drs are no supermen,dy rely on your complaints n elaborate it for u. In dz sense,try n wait once u are prepared to visit a hospital,no matter how long it takes.. Wishing a beta consultation nxt time...
Re: My Funny Experience In A Nigerian Hospital (must Read) by Nobody: 8:11am On Dec 03, 2014
PapiWata:

Na the ting when bush rat take eye see for night, na him make am begin dey wakka for afternoon, dey look left and right.

Shebi na the lizard sabi where bele dey pain am.
Re: My Funny Experience In A Nigerian Hospital (must Read) by holatin(m): 8:18am On Dec 03, 2014
Kachisbarbie:

Aii

I'm not laughing

*kill yourself by yourself angry
E ti binu
e je bure
Re: My Funny Experience In A Nigerian Hospital (must Read) by MoAfrica: 8:39am On Dec 03, 2014
hehehehe, thanks for the laughter.
Re: My Funny Experience In A Nigerian Hospital (must Read) by Nobody: 9:02am On Dec 03, 2014
morbid:
@OP...You may think you sound funny but all I see is tomfoolery of epic proportions. Firstly,you feel it was wrong practice to check your blood pressure because you had fever and nothing else? I pity you and the legendary ignorance you have just displayed here all in the name of ridiculing yourself(ofcourse not the medical practitioner). I believe you can read and understand,so go and find out what Vital Signs mean and their relevance in medical practice. I'm sure your pulse rate and respiratory rate were equally checked by the eminent matron nurse,but in your foolish arrogance,you did not take notice. Let me not dignify this post by commenting further,but just so you may know,you have declared yourself ignorant in the clime of the Olympian order!!!
So now what are you feeling like

Go and take a chill pill jare. Me thinks the only reason that maðe you attack her is that you're a medical practitioner that does crap like that. If not you woulda shut the fawk up and ignored the damn post.

1 Like

Re: My Funny Experience In A Nigerian Hospital (must Read) by Nobody: 9:02am On Dec 03, 2014
chiketee:

Some of you are so bold in your ignorance, so do you think all appendicitis require surgical intervention, don't you know some resolve with just antibiotics. Or you think because u were pregnant u couldn't have had appendicitis. Nigerian patients are really irritating. The yeye OP complained about fever in a country where malaria is endemic, don't you think that should be topmost in the doctors mind. She complains the doctor was asking her questions, foolishly not knowing he was trying to find out any other reason for the fever apart from malaria. The doctor makes a diagnosis from the information you give him and examinations. If you give crappy information like the OP you will get crappy diagnosis especially in a crowded hospital
Thank you for your write up .For your information 'Mr Know it all'.A proper test should be conducted on anyone at all to ascertain what is actually wrong with the person.You can't be so sure its appendicitis because the patient complained of abdominal pains.For your information again,I stopped taking those antibiotics immediately I was tested to be preggie in the other hospital.I've had three kids after this incidence and I've always had that abdominal pains.its the likes of you that encourages 'quacks' in this country..Every pregnant woman should be diagnosed of appendicitis. It was a private hospital mind you.

2 Likes

Re: My Funny Experience In A Nigerian Hospital (must Read) by ThoniaSlim(f): 9:04am On Dec 03, 2014
I love Naija Single girl! Her write ups crack me up! grin

Back to the issue of Hospitals in Nigeria! Its really crazy! The worst are government hospitals! Some private hospitals like Havana in Surulere is still decent.m
Re: My Funny Experience In A Nigerian Hospital (must Read) by Raheem2386: 9:14am On Dec 03, 2014
Yaawwwwn.

1 Like

Re: My Funny Experience In A Nigerian Hospital (must Read) by phineas: 9:18am On Dec 03, 2014
This post promotes doctor Bashing,something nigerians love,typical pull him down syndrome and our habit of playing the victim in every situation and refusing to take responsibilty.

So the poorly Paid overworked Nurse actually did her weight, Bp and other vitals? The Dr patiently takes a history of her illness,thereby excluding all other possiblity including a "brain tumour from Fever" she fears probably caused in this part of the world from TB,or HIV which may have given her a "cough" or other symptoms he actually took time to rule out despite his obviously overworked state and her poor attitude whilst the same person in this facility apparently dispenses medications and all he gets his more attitude and Insults.
Till she disposed of her meds

This article is more than sarcasm,its a Nigerian attitude,If your Dr Diagnosis malaria,nothing stops you from getting a second or Third opinion,but this culture of shaming Dr's and Nurses by people who aren't trained is classic inferiority complex that stems from an unjustified sense of adequacy...

To buttress my point,are examples, a man comes in with eye problems,the Dr Diagnosis an advanced brain tumour and recomends surgery,the relatives go around screaming ignorantly he came in with only eye problems o and they wanted to do surgery,we dismiss it to the anger stage of grief, a child with very high respiratory rate,u ask them not to feed orally explaining fear of aspiration,they say don't mind them they ave come again,child is eating well,they feed the baby aspirates ,dies u hear he only had pneumonia o... ,next you hear of assault to the health workers,one even drew a gun over matters they are not trained to judge,and it gets worse they shot practitioners who explained there was no space in the morgue, no sentence followed,In nigeria examples abound.

its more than grief now,ItS becoming a culture in Nigeria,of disrespect to the profession that gives so much despite its handicap,and those who still have any sense of decency would do well to condem this trend..

7 Likes

Re: My Funny Experience In A Nigerian Hospital (must Read) by blank(f): 9:28am On Dec 03, 2014
Doctors have zero tolerance for humor. Laugh it off jare.

3 Likes

Re: My Funny Experience In A Nigerian Hospital (must Read) by benjsniper33: 9:36am On Dec 03, 2014
Reading comic writings such as these can increase my lifespan.A word theraphy I must say

1 Like

Re: My Funny Experience In A Nigerian Hospital (must Read) by chiketee(m): 10:37am On Dec 03, 2014
Augustbreak:
Thank you for your write up .For your information 'Mr Know it all'.A proper test should be conducted on anyone at all to ascertain what is actually wrong with the person.You can't be so sure its appendicitis because the patient complained of abdominal pains.For your information again,I stopped taking those antibiotics immediately I was tested to be preggie in the other hospital.I've had three kids after this incidence and I've always had that abdominal pains.its the likes of you that encourages 'quacks' in this country..Every pregnant woman should be diagnosed of appendicitis. It was a private hospital mind you.
Lol see your mouth like tests. If he had asked you to do an MRI that costs between 70 to 80k I'm sure you would have laid curses on his next generation . What makes a good Dr is not the amount of tests he asks you to do, it's his/ her ability to focus and limit the test based on the history and examination he has gotten. Now when all fails he asks for more tests. Diagnosis of appendicitis is mainly clinical but a simple ultrasound can be done to confirm. Even 3rd year medical students know that you must do a pregnancy test once a female complains about abdominal pain, it could even be an ectopic pregnancy. My problem with you now is that you have failed to acknowledge the other doctors that got the diagnosis right rather you've held onto the one that got it wrong as a representation of Nigerian doctors. It is unfair. Finally it's not all hospitals you see that you enter, and not everyone who attends to you wearing ward coat is truly a Dr especially in that you people's Ph.

1 Like

Re: My Funny Experience In A Nigerian Hospital (must Read) by debbydee(f): 11:20am On Dec 03, 2014
This sometimes happen with some doctors especially when they are in a hurry to close.
Re: My Funny Experience In A Nigerian Hospital (must Read) by boseko: 1:03pm On Dec 03, 2014
The story is admittedly humorous. However, it also reeks of ignorance and misinformation. I hope someone won't read it and based on the story make a decision that will lead to loss of life or worse. If that happens, then the blood is on your hands. The post will do better in the Jokes section.

1 Like

Re: My Funny Experience In A Nigerian Hospital (must Read) by Nobody: 1:13pm On Dec 03, 2014
It's just a joke,y are u guys taking it serious....it's like dis joke got on a very badside of medical practitioners of NL

Naijasinglegirl thumbs up,I don laugh tire
Re: My Funny Experience In A Nigerian Hospital (must Read) by yousee(m): 1:42pm On Dec 03, 2014
Dnaz:
U had malaria and d doctor got d diagnosis right so what is ur problem. U walk into a doctor's office and expect him to automatically know what is wrong with u without asking questions, please do u think u came to see a native doctor ? We live in d tropics so 90% of fevers is due to malaria, but you want him to run tests that u cannot even afford. Later u curse him for billing you too much. It's people like you that get deceived by the quacks who use computers to ascribed funny diseases to people. Diagnosis involves history, physical examination and then investigation in that order but u want him to jump to the third. I am tired of Nigerian patients. U call ur Nigerian trained doctors quacks only to run abroad and be treated by the same Nigerian trained doctors. Pathetic nation
Naijasinglegirl, your doctor dey Nairaland ooo
Re: My Funny Experience In A Nigerian Hospital (must Read) by peacettw: 2:22pm On Dec 03, 2014
At first when I read this post, I didn't have a name to describe what I felt about the article. I knew for sure that it wasn't funny even though it was intended to, but I couldn't really place what it was that I felt. I went ahead to read other nairalnaders' comments, and then it dawned on me.

@Op, I have no doubt you experienced this firsthand. This is simply not fiction as someone suggested earlier. You experienced this. Now listen to me, what you had gone through is nothing short of the standard expected in any hospital. I will even go on to say that I am pretty surprised they had the time to check your vital signs judging from the patient load and what none. Do you know that checking your vital signs alone and finding it to be normal have ruled out a lot of disease differentials including the brain tumor and all what none you posted earlier under the guise of sarcasm? I bet you didn't. I don't expect your attitude to change but please don't use your gift to worsen or percipitate the ignorance of others which I believe remains the number 1 killer in our society today.

I had created a thread here in Nairaland to address the ignorance we see in our clinics and believe me it is quite shocking. And that my dear is the exact description of what I felt when I read your post, Shock and most importantly Pity.

There are things you shouldn't joke with. Our health system is in a fragile state and putting the whole blame on doctors and nurses while glorifying native doctors is just plain silly. I see no humor in this, do you?

7 Likes

Re: My Funny Experience In A Nigerian Hospital (must Read) by Mustay(m): 3:04pm On Dec 03, 2014
phineas:
A Nigerian attitude. . . this culture of shaming Dr's and Nurses by people who aren't trained is classic inferiority complex that stems from an unjustified sense of adequacy...

It's becoming a culture in Nigeria,of disrespect to the profession that gives so much despite its handicap,and those who still have any sense of decency would do well to condem this trend..

Well written and sums up my feelings. Before you bash anything, you MUST (as a matter of responsibility especially when you serve as a source of information) have good knowledge about it. And in this era where websites have comments' section, you pen a new discourse and learn new things when your readers point out gaps or what you know not of in your write-up.

Well, I didn't laugh here
Re: My Funny Experience In A Nigerian Hospital (must Read) by Swadow(m): 3:10pm On Dec 03, 2014
Permit me to change your moniker to "NaijaFunnyGirl".

You write well. Kudos.

I now follow your blog. Congrats.

If laughter is the best medicine,

You would make a fine doctor.
Re: My Funny Experience In A Nigerian Hospital (must Read) by brownsoldier(m): 3:27pm On Dec 03, 2014
Dnaz:
U had malaria and d doctor got d diagnosis right so what is ur problem. U walk into a doctor's office and expect him to automatically know what is wrong with u without asking questions, please do u think u came to see a native doctor ? We live in d tropics so 90% of fevers is due to malaria, but you want him to run tests that u cannot even afford. Later u curse him for billing you too much. It's people like you that get deceived by the quacks who use computers to ascribed funny diseases to people. Diagnosis involves history, physical examination and then investigation in that order but u want him to jump to the third. I am tired of Nigerian patients. U call ur Nigerian trained doctors quacks only to run abroad and be treated by the same Nigerian trained doctors. Pathetic nation
It's funny but doctors are laughing at OP's post but for a totally different reason. She displayed so much ignorance and she is totally unaware. She understands nothing of disease endemicity, cost-benefit analysis esp in the tropics where funds are lacking. I am not saying there aren't poor doctors. But she displayed ignorance all the while assuming the contrary, fortunately for her only doctors can tell
Re: My Funny Experience In A Nigerian Hospital (must Read) by NnaNna4(m): 3:33pm On Dec 03, 2014
Augustbreak:
In PH back then when I was preggie with my first child,One Doctor diagnosed appendicitis because I told him I had abdominal pain,I was even given intravenous injections and antibiotics to suppress it for two weeks before operation.Fortunately,we decided to check another hospital to be sure.That's about seven years ago and my daughter will be seven on Christmas day.Ive not gone for the surgery till date.[b]You are lucky you were not diagnosed with HIV :[/b]D
grin grin
Re: My Funny Experience In A Nigerian Hospital (must Read) by Nobody: 3:55pm On Dec 03, 2014
BraniacX:

boo hoo hoo!!
Remember Gani fawehimi?
Yes that late human rights lawyer of blessed memory? Remember he was diagnosed and being medicated for typhoid fever for 16 years? That is, until he went abroad for a 2nd opinion and found out that he was in the terminal stages of cancer and only had a few months left to live? Remember how angry he was? Now refresh my memory, was the doctor who diagnosed and treated him for typhoid Nigerian trained? Maybe you know him/her.
Treated abroad by Nigerian trained doctors my foot!! Nigerian yes, Nigerian trained? Definitely No!! And therein lies the important difference. This post might be sarcastic but it doesn't make the issues raised untrue or unreal. So until there are fewer quacks in your proffesion, all of you will be ascribe that Tag.
Plus, you need to work on your sense of
I feel so annoyed and angered when I see idi*oits like this for ooh, coming here to give pictures and paint scenarios of what he does not even know the story, u seem to me so clueless I just couldn't comment without allowing u have a taste of the bitterness from me .....

FYI Ghani was never treated for typhoid (it was a case of misled diagnosis, yes he was treated f recurrent chest infection) let's keep that aside and take d blame, the doctor was wrong, but why did u skip the case of the most recent, madam Dora Akuyili, that was diagnosed here of early cancer of d cervix, but she tossed it as local (I believe as most Nigerians do ) went outside were she was misdiagnosed , of course till it got to d sorry state, of which she died.... Ohhhh! That is not news to you... because it was done by the God like westerners ....

We re our own problem... until we begin to see our own like our own and begin to appreciate it as ours, and acclaim it, we shall continue to be looked as inferior from the outside world.... the same problem nigeria is facing today...

Need I ask, medical mistakes and complications happen everywhere in this world... from US, to is real to UK, anywhere u mention.... there was a case of a US doctor that did a surgery and forgot some thing in d patients abdomen, of course the hospital paid heavily for it ..... but this things happen, it is not in anyway peculiar to Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: My Funny Experience In A Nigerian Hospital (must Read) by NnaNna4(m): 4:04pm On Dec 03, 2014
At least native doctors have high-tech equipment like a calabash for skyping[/i] with sango, a speaking[i] mirror and no-nonsense[i][/i] oracles. cool cheesy grin grin

U funny die

NLnders should read Ur posts in other sections and just quit hating.
Re: My Funny Experience In A Nigerian Hospital (must Read) by dublinkmy6: 4:11pm On Dec 03, 2014
The Op must be one of those "i know it all" patients medical practitioners encounter on a daily basis.
Are you trying to build your career on here by tarnishing the image of our health sector to the world?
Re: My Funny Experience In A Nigerian Hospital (must Read) by NnaNna4(m): 4:13pm On Dec 03, 2014

Nurse, Its just fever not a modelling audition
[color=#006600][/color].

kiss kiss kiss
Re: My Funny Experience In A Nigerian Hospital (must Read) by Naijasinglegirl: 4:39pm On Dec 03, 2014
Swadow:
Permit me to change your moniker to "NaijaFunnyGirl".

You write well. Kudos.

I now follow your blog. Congrats.

If laughter is the best medicine,

You would make a fine doctor.
thank you
Re: My Funny Experience In A Nigerian Hospital (must Read) by Naijasinglegirl: 4:42pm On Dec 03, 2014
dublinkmy6:
The Op must be one of those "i know it all" patients medical practitioners encounter on a daily basis.
Are you trying to build your career on here by tarnishing the image of our health sector to the world?
Are you going to arrest me?

2 Likes

Re: My Funny Experience In A Nigerian Hospital (must Read) by dublinkmy6: 4:55pm On Dec 03, 2014
Naijasinglegirl:
Are you going to arrest me?
O yes, with all pleasure. When are you reporting yourself?
Re: My Funny Experience In A Nigerian Hospital (must Read) by tifany89(m): 7:10pm On Dec 03, 2014
Dnaz:
dz guy na doctor! Na once dem dey knw dem! Funny write up naijasinglegirl
Re: My Funny Experience In A Nigerian Hospital (must Read) by ourhero(m): 7:21pm On Dec 03, 2014
Dnaz:
guy don't even waste your time on this type of ignorance. I've sworn never to reduce my standard of care for any patients to because, when you do, some dumba** (like the OP) will still disparage you. So, for a fever I'll do a full blood panel etc. if the patient can't pay, that's his/her problem. We need to learn to stop trying to help. Do the needful and move on.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

5 Advantages Of Swallowing Cum / I Am 22 And I Don't Have Beard. What Could Be The Problem? / Sokoto Discharges All 101 COVID-19 Patients

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.