Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,929 members, 7,814,131 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 07:23 AM

My Funny Experience In A Nigerian Hospital (must Read) - Health (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / My Funny Experience In A Nigerian Hospital (must Read) (24944 Views)

UNBELEIVABLE- Nigerian Hospital Stockpiles Corpses In The Open (pictures) / Why! Why! Why! Nigerian Hospital In A Big Disarray! / Nigerian Hospital Closes Hole In Heart… Without Surgery (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Funny Experience In A Nigerian Hospital (must Read) by helen4(f): 7:55pm On Dec 03, 2014
@dnaz. Easy sir/ma. The op just dey catch fun now. U don take am too serious ooo.

1 Like

Re: My Funny Experience In A Nigerian Hospital (must Read) by ceemed: 8:15pm On Dec 04, 2014
NAIJASINGLEGIRL can I get your contact... An interested doctor...
Re: My Funny Experience In A Nigerian Hospital (must Read) by PapiWata: 11:33am On Dec 05, 2014
To the medical professionals who object to the less than flattering depiction of the Nigerian health care system submitted here by NaijaSingle Girl, let me just mention, to those who may choose to forget, that medical malpractice is RARELY prosecuted in Nigerian courts of law, and as such, Nigeria is a HEAVEN for incompetent, reckless, greedy and downright bogus doctors operating with forged qualifications framed on the walls of their trial-and-error medical practices.

Governor Fashola's creation of a szex offenders register in Lagos state should be replicated across the ENTIRE nation of Nigeria, so that doctors who regularly use medical checkups as pretexts to disrobe and probe women, and indeed children, can be BARRED FOR LIFE from practicing medicine, and even JAILED, in all instances where such serial offenders are found to be operating without genuine medical credentials, or to have victimized children below the legal age of consent.

I personally know of a "doctor" STILL operating in Nigeria, who has a special "examination room" where nurses are BARRED from being present, in clear and open violation of the laws applicable to the physical inspection of females by male doctors. Behind the locked doors of that illegal "examination room" the predatory "doctor" undresses ALL female patients, regardless of age or marital status, and then proceeds to poke around with his hands in their wombs, as he fumbles to whip out his hungry little lizard.

The next step of his routine involves interrupting his exploratory grope session to offer "discounted" medical bills to all women and children intimidated or cash-poor enough to accommodate his lustful intentions, with a list of victims that includes those that are heavily pregnant, as well as children as young as 12 years old, meaning that criminal jail-worthy offences occur routinely in that quack doctor's "hospital", which is also known for recording unusually high numbers of patient deaths over the years the place has been in operation.

Speaking from personal experience I recall a gorgeous British girlfriend that once accompanied me to Nigeria, during which time she suffered a mild case of malaria, and insisted on seeing a doctor just to be on the safe side. I took her to a doctor who was a respected acquaintance, and it was only later that my girlfriend expressed bafflement as to why she had to completely disrobe for the doctor who then took his sweet time probing around up inside her, before concluding that she did indeed have malaria, and would therefore recover with the medication I had already given her. I learned there was a hidden side to the good doctor on that day, and lost most of my respect accordingly.

Anyway, to cut a long rant short, medical malpractice and misrepresentation are RAMPANT in Nigeria, and are RARELY prosecuted, so the OP is NOT to be castigated for describing her own experience with medical care in Nigeria, which could have turned out far worse than it did in the end.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Funny Experience In A Nigerian Hospital (must Read) by Mustay(m): 7:25pm On Dec 05, 2014
^^^ I think this is more of professional conduct than the practice itself.
Re: My Funny Experience In A Nigerian Hospital (must Read) by PapiWata: 8:04pm On Dec 05, 2014
Mustay:
^^^ I think this is more of professional conduct than the practice itself.

The line between professional "conduct" and medical malpractice is a thin line indeed, Mustay, since either scenario can lead to trauma, injury or death to patients, as a direct result of incompetence for whatever reason.
Re: My Funny Experience In A Nigerian Hospital (must Read) by Mustay(m): 8:55am On Dec 06, 2014
I understand you Papiwata and see reasons with your submissions. However, the case is that you cannot call the doctor's competence into questions when you're not competent enough to judge the adequacy or otherwise of the procedures that were performed.

We are all here to learn but as others have pointed out, it's an unnecessary jab when the comedian doesn't understand what fully the elements of his/her joke are all about. It's just like laughing at the culture of some people without knowing what it's all about.

Not trying to derail the thread - SUAREZ is a good player; a professional who displays his competence on the football pitch. Love him or hate him, we know he's good. Unfortunately, his professional conduct has landed him in trouble. This doesn't mean he's not good at what he does, it's just that he could cause unfair play via his conduct. This is where the duty of the regulators come into play. He's punished for such conducts - if the regulators are not aware, it's reported (like Evra's racism case). That's where I differ - some of these acts would go unpunished if:

1. People fail to report these acts

2. The regulator fails to act on these cases (reported or observed)

1 Like

Re: My Funny Experience In A Nigerian Hospital (must Read) by PapiWata: 9:59am On Dec 06, 2014
Mustay:
I understand you Papiwata and see reasons with your submissions. However, the case is that you cannot call the doctor's competence into questions when you're not competent enough to judge the procedures that were performed.

We are all here to learn but as others I've pointed out what's an unnecessary jab when the comedian doesn't understand what fully the elements of his/her joke are all about. It's just like laughing at the culture of some people without knowing what it's all about.

Not trying to derail the thread - SUAREZ is a good player; a professional who displays his competence on the football pitch. Love him or hate him, we know he's good. Unfortunately, his professional conduct has landed him in trouble. This doesn't mean he's not good at what he does, it's just that he could cause unfair play via his conduct. This is where the duty of the regulators come into play. He's punished for such conducts - if the regulators are not aware, it's reported (like Evra's racism case). That's where I differ - some of these acts would go unpunished if:

1. People fail to report these acts

2. The regulator fails to act on these cases (reported or observed)

By far the longest ever hospital waiting-room vigil that I ever endured in my entire life was in a NHS hospital in the UK, where a close relative hoped to see a doctor for a routine complaint. With that humbling experience foremost in mind, I won't be party to any chorus of mocking voices inclined to dismiss offhand the quality of medical care offered in Nigeria or Africa in general, HOWEVER, I still maintain that medical malpractice in all forms is rife in Nigeria, perhaps because criminal prosecutions in that area of white-collar fraud can be harder to establish in Nigerian courts, than would be the case anywhere in the industrialized and democratic West.

The OP described a chaotic conveyor-belt, one-size-fits-all, hit-and-miss, trial-and-error leave-it-to-God healthcare facility located in Nigeria, but clearly NO attempt was made to imply that ALL Nigerian hospitals operate in the haphazard manner so hilariously captured in writing by the OP.

If Nairaland forum readers employed in the healthcare industry feel that exaggerations were made in the picture of a contemporary Nigerian hospital painted for our light entertainment here, then just roll with the punches and don't take life so deadly serious all the time. Hell it could be worse. You could live in Brixton muahaha ha ha ha.

Lighten up, I say verily unto thee, for therein lies the road to peace of mind.

1 Like

Re: My Funny Experience In A Nigerian Hospital (must Read) by Onegai(f): 11:34am On Dec 06, 2014
Dnaz:
U had malaria and d doctor got d diagnosis right so what is ur problem. U walk into a doctor's office and expect him to automatically know what is wrong with u without asking questions, please do u think u came to see a native doctor ? We live in d tropics so 90% of fevers is due to malaria, but you want him to run tests that u cannot even afford. Later u curse him for billing you too much. It's people like you that get deceived by the quacks who use computers to ascribed funny diseases to people. Diagnosis involves history, physical examination and then investigation in that order but u want him to jump to the third. I am tired of Nigerian patients. U call ur Nigerian trained doctors quacks only to run abroad and be treated by the same Nigerian trained doctors. Pathetic nation

Bros, calm down, she's right. Doctors in Nigeria are quick to leap to Malaria and Typhoid. One diagnosed me as having Cerebral malaria, which was hilarious, as that form of malaria is common in children and young adults. I was old enough to be the mum of a young adult at that time. Cerebral malaria is a common misdiagnosis. http://qjmed.oxfordjournals.org/content/96/5/355

My sister got diagnosed with malaria and typhoid and got treatments for months. Depression apparently was NOT on the diagnostic list, which was what she had, an emotional breakdown combined with a physical breakdown.
Re: My Funny Experience In A Nigerian Hospital (must Read) by Onegai(f): 11:55am On Dec 06, 2014
PapiWata:
To the medical professionals who object to the less than flattering depiction of the Nigerian health care system submitted here by NaijaSingle Girl, let me just mention, to those who may choose to forget, that medical malpractice is RARELY prosecuted in Nigerian courts of law, and as such, Nigeria is a HEAVEN for incompetent, reckless, greedy and downright bogus doctors operating with forged qualifications framed on the walls of their trial-and-error medical practices.

Governor Fashola's creation of a szex offenders register in Lagos state should be replicated across the ENTIRE nation of Nigeria, so that doctors who regularly use medical checkups as pretexts to disrobe and probe women, and indeed children, can be BARRED FOR LIFE from practicing medicine, and even JAILED, in all instances where such serial offenders are found to be operating without genuine medical credentials, or to have victimized children below the legal age of consent.

I personally know of a "doctor" STILL operating in Nigeria, who has a special "examination room" where nurses are BARRED from being present, in clear and open violation of the laws applicable to the physical inspection of females by male doctors. Behind the locked doors of that illegal "examination room" the predatory "doctor" undresses ALL female patients, regardless of age or marital status, and then proceeds to poke around with his hands in their wombs, as he fumbles to whip out his hungry little lizard.

The next step of his routine involves interrupting his exploratory grope session to offer "discounted" medical bills to all women and children intimidated or cash-poor enough to accommodate his lustful intentions, with a list of victims that includes those that are heavily pregnant, as well as children as young as 12 years old, meaning that criminal jail-worthy offences occur routinely in that quack doctor's "hospital", which is also known for recording unusually high numbers of patient deaths over the years the place has been in operation.

Speaking from personal experience I recall a gorgeous British girlfriend that once accompanied me to Nigeria, during which time she suffered a mild case of malaria, and insisted on seeing a doctor just to be on the safe side. I took her to a doctor who was a respected acquaintance, and it was only later that my girlfriend expressed bafflement as to why she had to completely disrobe for the doctor who then took his sweet time probing around up inside her, before concluding that she did indeed have malaria, and would therefore recover with the medication I had already given her. I learned there was a hidden side to the good doctor on that day, and lost most of my respect accordingly.

Anyway, to cut a long rant short, medical malpractice and misrepresentation are RAMPANT in Nigeria, and are RARELY prosecuted, so the OP is NOT to be castigated for describing her own experience with medical care in Nigeria, which could have turned out far worse than it did in the end.

Very true. There's a doctor in a hospital in Festac who would have done the same to me. I had pains in my pelvis, and he did a physical exam with my clothes on and prescribed all sorts of anti-biotics and ran tests and quack labs. I promptly went home and showed it to my doctor siblings (consultants) who immediately knew he had no idea what to treat me for and sent me off to a consultant OBGYN (female who did the right test).

When I ran into the male doctor and told him, I asked him why he didn't perform the test. He leeringly said "because I would have to put my fingers inside you" and wriggled his two fingers at me, stimulating some sort of se.xual act. Married Father of 2. I was safe because my half my siblings are his seniors in the medical field and the other half have hot, uncontrollable tempers, which he is very aware of. Same hospital told me I had Cerebral malaria, same hospital prescribed Cimetidene at a dosage meant for children when I was in my mid-20s.

What about nurses who constantly act like it was God's punishment on their lives to study Nursing? Once they were doing so to my sister-in-law (admitted for fibriod surgery), she immediately informed them her hubby was a doctor who knew all of them. Their behaviour and demeanor changed and they became awfully polite. Even my bro got admitted for malaria, the nurse was squeezing her face to insert an IV needle and started complaining "ooh see I can't find a vein" as if it was his fault and hissing under her breathe. He told her to get out of his room and threatened to slap any other nurse who came in. He set his own IV himself. Their Head Matron had to come in and profusely apologise, after telling the other nurses that he was actually a consultant. A lot of doctors and Matrons really dislike the modern type of nurses being graduated out of School of Nursing.

And you would not believe the amount of malpractise cases settled out of court for so many of your popular private hospitals, especially those on the island. If they publicised it, women would stop getting pregnant out of fear. Imagine doing CS without switching on oxygen, the patient died on the table. Or all the numerous tests they call for, to inflate your bill, when they already have the diagnosis. Imagine diagnosing Constipation as Appendicitis and taking out a perfectly healthy appendix, just so you can charge an enormous bill. Or telling women in labour that you're not sure how things are progressing, it's best to do CS (bill goes up by N300,000) meanwhile, doctors reviewed her chart after and kept demanding to know why that CS was called, when Mother and Child had no complications and she was dilating properly.

Or how lovely LUTH and GH are, that CAT scan machine catches fire when patient is inside or they take light. Or you are made to buy N5,000 worth of drugs and toiletries before you get proper treatment. Or being refused treatment because you're HIV+

It's a nightmare.

I'm not blaming doctors, but half of the problems with the healthcare society of Nigeria lies with Government, we the people and Doctors.

People don't trust their doctors there. I have doctors I trust now, I had pains, they suspected appendicitis, he immediately went to speak to a Consultant surgeon and a consultant OBGYN who had seen me the day before and recommended antibiotics. I too read online and saw that I could have performed the necessary surgery but not in Nigeria. All my medical siblings insist I go to the hospital fully armed with knowledge about what I'm being treated for and why, rather than swallowing pills. They have worked and taught in LUTH, LASPOTECH, UBTH, GH an several other hospitals, and they have so many concerns about modern medical practitioners. I remember my brother cracking up because PCR tests, no-one taught medical students in UNIBEN yet we had Lassa and Ebola.

1 Like

Re: My Funny Experience In A Nigerian Hospital (must Read) by Naijasinglegirl: 1:28am On Dec 07, 2014
ceemed:
NAIJASINGLEGIRL can I get your contact... An interested doctor...
naijasinglegirl at gmail dot com
Re: My Funny Experience In A Nigerian Hospital (must Read) by BraniacX(m): 10:14am On Dec 08, 2014
Raymondenyi:
I feel so annoyed & angered when I see idi*oits like this 4 ooh, coming here 2 give pictures & paint scenarios of what he does not even know d story, u seem 2 me so clueless I just couldn't comment without allowing u have a taste of d bitterness 4rm me .....

FYI Ghani was never treated 4 typhoid (it was a case of misled diagnosis, yes he was treated f recurrent chest infection) let's keep dat aside & take d blame, d doctor was wrong, but why did u skip d case of d most recent, madam Dora Akuyili, that was diagnosed here of early cancer of d cervix, but she tossed it as local (I believe as most Nigerians do ) went outside were she was misdiagnosed , of course till it got to d sorry state, of which she died.... Ohhhh! That is not news 2 u... because it was done by d God like westerners ....

We re our own problem... until we begin 2 see our own like our own & begin 2 appreciate it as ours, & acclaim it, we shall continue 2 be looked as inferior 4rm d outside world.... D same problem nigeria is facing today...

Need I ask, medical mistakes & complications happen everywhere in this world... from US, 2 is real 2 UK, anywhere u mention.... there was a case of a US doctor that did a surgery & forgot some thing in d patients abdomen, of course d hospital paid heavily 4 it ..... but this things happen, it is not in anyway peculiar 2 Nigeria

um . . . . . . . .sorry
u seem to mistake me 4 someone or an idiot according 2 u who gives a flying f*u*ck about whether foreigners know how clueless, inferior & crappy Nigerian trained doctors are(u & ur lot are indeed crappy, inferior & clueless), u also mistake me 4 someone who gives a diving f*u*ck about how irate, angry & bitter u Nigerian trained doctors are feeling right now & need i add, i don't give a sinking f*u*ck about what u think about me or my opinions so just hush ur shyte hole of a buccal cavity.

Maybe u should have asked if i cared first & saved urself d trouble.

On d flip side, if me or mine are sick & 2 poor that we are limited 2 seeking out d services of u & ur ilk, u can misdiagnose us, kill us & have ur revenge because that is what ur NMA licence is.......d licence 2 kill without repercurssions.

Until you've lost family or friends 2 d unproffesional & duncehead Nigerian trained doctors like i have, don't expect me 2 like & appreciate ur lot , or maybe u are high on cheap weed 2 be expecting that 4rm me so don't u dare come here routing 4 or expecting me 2 rout 4 ur mudering bozo's club members or even contradict me, don't make my hatred of ur lot a lot more personal than it already is.

So, Gani Fawehimi was being treated 4 chest infection uhn? , not typhoid? I guess he lied & yet, i know u won't be baffled if i'll readily believe his account over urs afterall, he had a track record of honesty & ur killer gang lie frequently 2 protect each other & cover ur ineptitudes.

So, Dora Akinluyi was diagnosed of cervical cancer here in Nigeria by a Nigerian doctor? Well, i could be wrong, but i'll bet my money that that doctor had some element of foreign exposure or some aspect of his/her training abroad. And yet, i won't blame her 4 disregarding that diagnosis & seeking a 2nd opinion even if it led 2 her death, put in her shoes, i'll do d same because Nigerian doctors have an oh so good reputation no thanks 2 d Nigerian trained majority of d NMA membership.

And how relieved u must be 2 find out that not only Nigerian doctors commit blunders, u were gleefully recounting how a doctor forgot a rag or something inside a patients cavity during an operation as a pointer 2 d fact that non-Nigerians aren't infallible either, well @ least u didn't call it misdiagnosis, mis-medication or d list of things ur club members excel @ & also as u rightly mentioned, d hospital would pay a hefty fine & u forgot 2 add certain things like
1 - the doctor involved would loose his/her job.
2 - pending futher investigations, d said doctor could loose his/her licence.
3 - AND THE PATIENT DIDN'T DIE.
4 - u loose ur medical licence 4 issues like misdiagnosis abroad, especially when it leads 2 loss of function &/or death.

So tell me, is d doctor who u so kindly admitted misdiagnosed Gani Fawehimi still practicing medicine? Has he/she lost his/her licence? What of d doctors who have misdiagnosed, mistreated & by extension killed hundreds of thousands of voiceless Nigerians who didn't have a voice like Gani Fawehimi? Are they still practicing with their licences? Has any malpractice suit been filed against them succesfully? Has any hefty fine been paid 2 a victims family before?
So you'll forgive me if i dont
1 - like,
2 - appreciate &
3 - acclaim u & ur lot who i'll vehemently deny calling my or our own or wait!. . . . . .i take that back, don't forgive me at all, i'll rather u pick up a broom & sweep out d quacks & incompetent majority so that d competent ones can receive d acclaim they deserve.
Re: My Funny Experience In A Nigerian Hospital (must Read) by sisiafrika(f): 10:38am On Jan 06, 2015
After reading this post on ur blog with no hateful comments, I came here to search for it and I had full dose of them. Naija docs, no vex o, lafta is d best medicine, make una laff and liv mai gal alone.
Re: My Funny Experience In A Nigerian Hospital (must Read) by Nobody: 11:00pm On Feb 04, 2015
Seriously, I jx disturbed som pple's sleep wt mai lafter. OP, yu will be held responsible forr dt oooo
Re: My Funny Experience In A Nigerian Hospital (must Read) by uboma(m): 4:54pm On Apr 04, 2015
Dnaz:
U had malaria and d doctor got d diagnosis right so what is ur problem. U walk into a doctor's office and expect him to automatically know what is wrong with u without asking questions, please do u think u came to see a native doctor ? We live in d tropics so 90% of fevers is due to malaria, but you want him to run tests that u cannot even afford. Later u curse him for billing you too much. It's people like you that get deceived by the quacks who use computers to ascribed funny diseases to people. Diagnosis involves history, physical examination and then investigation in that order but u want him to jump to the third. I am tired of Nigerian patients. U call ur Nigerian trained doctors quacks only to run abroad and be treated by the same Nigerian trained doctors. Pathetic nation

You are obviously a doctor.

First, I want you to learn to appreciate a good piece of humour when you see one. Learn to loosen up and stop being uptight.

Secondly, why should a trained doctor diagnose malaria for a patient without running a malaria test in the first? We have malaria test kits that are very affordable, even individuals can purchase them and run the tests at home. But our hospitals lack these necessary test kits. Personally I wouldn't take a doctor serious who diagnoses malaria for me without running the necessary tests on me. Don't just assume that patients can't afford to pay for running test on them...
Re: My Funny Experience In A Nigerian Hospital (must Read) by eightsin(m): 9:21am On Apr 05, 2015
Lol.
Re: My Funny Experience In A Nigerian Hospital (must Read) by Funjosh(m): 7:14pm On Feb 05, 2016
"Until our health care system improves, I know what to do when

sickness strikes again.

migraine : Alabukun powder

Headache : Panadol

Catarhh : Procold

Purging : Flagyl

Boil : Robb

Waist pain : Aboniki balm

Madness : Native doctor

Dislocated bone : Pastor Chris

HIV : Prophet T B Joshua "

This got me laughing grin
Re: My Funny Experience In A Nigerian Hospital (must Read) by Modenzy: 9:19am On Feb 08, 2016
Naijasinglegirl. You are too much.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

5 Advantages Of Swallowing Cum / I Am 22 And I Don't Have Beard. What Could Be The Problem? / Sokoto Discharges All 101 COVID-19 Patients

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.