Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,957 members, 7,821,361 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:58 AM

Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* - Agriculture (30) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* (238691 Views)

My 1 Million Naira Alternative To Cucumber (agribusiness 101) [a Must Read] / Cost Analysis/How To Setup Plantain Plantation In Nigeria With Pictures / Catfish Farming: My Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by oyimaliski: 1:59pm On Sep 18, 2016
Jasper.. Pls can you inbox me ur number... Its urgent.

Oyimaliski@gmail.com

Thanks
Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by Dadanoah(m): 6:46am On Oct 12, 2016
jasper7:
NUMBER 3: PESTS and DISEASES. Pests is usually a problem to contend with because it's a dicey situation.
The reason is, the major pests of cucumber are insects, and cucumber needs some insects for pollination like butterfly, bees e.t.c other insect will just eat the flowers and leaves and stunt the production of the crop.
I had this problem initially,
How do I spray pesticide on the crop without killing the useful insects. After much research and facts finding, I came to this wonderful conclusion.

Cucumber produces colourful flowers, and that is what attracts butterflies and bees(useful insects). While the other insects come to chop leaf and live on the leaf. So when the flowers are not bright the useful insects fly away.
When are the flowers not so bright? IN THE NIGHT!!! So the best time to spray insecticde/pesticide without killing the useful insects is in the evening or night.

Please don't spray pesticide speculatively, wait untill you notice presence of pests
Good morning oga I appreciate courage in this site, the Lord Will your strength. please I want know insecticide you use to control you farm.
What's the name insecticide?
Which stage are you starting apply pesticides to the plant (cucumber)?
How do you control all pest form seedlings to the harvest stage?
How do you apply fertilizer from seedlings "cucumber" to the harvest stages?
THANKS.

2 Likes

Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by UniqueFarmer: 10:02am On Oct 16, 2016
We provide practical daily tips on how to successfully start and operate a successful Cash Crop farming venture. The content provided covers all the salient areas in agriculture, including creating the business plan, doing market research, constructing the farm and purchasing the stock. It also covers growing/rearing the stock, weather forecast, market prices, agronomy tips and advice for dealing with pests and diseases on topical issues affecting farmers and middle men operating in the agricultural sector.

Users can subscribe to their preferred Agric content service on the Etisalat network by sending the specific keyword to the designated short-code. Subscriber texts any of ‘Poultry’, ‘Fish’, ‘Crop’ 'Pig', or ‘SNA’ to 33327. 1st 7 days subscription is FREE...

Content are provided on daily basis and the user will be charged N50/weekly for each successful subscription. Specific topics will be treated under each content on daily basis to ensure users are well abreast on all areas involved in the category subscribed.

3. Reason To Believe:
• Convenience of receiving practical tips to help you run a successful agric business on your phone
• Content are authentic and collated from experience farmers who are successful in running their agric business
• Opportunities for internship in successful farms are offered to 20 lucky subscribers
• 7 days free trial at no cost to the subscriber, after which the subscriber can renew or deactivate if not interested

4. Heart of the Story
• Food security is currently a major challenge in Nigeria. As the population increases, the demand for food to feed the population increases.
• Agriculture guarantees a steady income and ready market for people who can learn what it takes to succeed as a farmer
• Agriculture has a lot of inherent risks for a novice. Understanding these risks and how to mitigate them is the difference between failure and success in agriculture.
• The essence of these agric content services is to equip the novice or existing farmer with the right tools (skills, information and attitude) that is required to succeed in different agricultural ventures.
• Success is guaranteed if the information provided in these content services are correctly applied.

Our Content Outline for Cucumber Planting
Know your land
How to evaluate a site
Check weather patterns in that area
Check soil temperature
Monitor water condition in the soil
Check weed resistance in the soil
Check pesticide resistance in the soil
Monitor soil moisture
Learning the importance of the soil
How to identify problems with your soil
Knowing the major soil problems
How to improve your soil before planting
Assessing land capability for the crop you want to grow
Cultivating your land
How to do minimal cultivation
How to use no dig technique
How to cultivate land for vegetables
Using bio dynamics for land cultivation
Learning cultivation techniques
Working on your farm
How to know the best crops to plant on your farm
How to build rows and keep your soil nutrients
Adding manure to the soil
What to do to prepare the land for planting
How to transplant seeds to your land
Learning about companion cropping and its usefulness
Setting irrigation on your land
Building drainages on your land
How best to protect your farm against drought
How best to create sewages without affecting the farm
Tools management on the farm
Water Management
Methods of water storage on the farm
Water requirements for different crops
Problems water may cause in your farm
How to test and treat water
Experts you can consult on water management
Fertilizer
What is fertilizer
What are the composition of a fertilizer
Knowing the different fertilizer types
What are the essential plant nutrients
How to apply fertilizer on different crops
How to recognize signs of fertilizer deficiency in your plants
Weeds
Different types of weeds
Knowing when weeds can be useful
How to manage weeds on your farm
How to destroy weeds
Farm insects
Types of farm insects
Causes of insects
How insects transmit diseases to your farm
How to prevent against insect attacks
Farm produce
Cucumber
What to know when growing cucumber
Soil preparation for planting
How to thin the soil for best outputs
How to plant your cucumber seed
Cucumber diseases and how to prevent them on your farm
Application of water when growing cucumber
Application of fertilizer when growing cucumber
How to maintain proper temperature
What to know when harvesting
How to market and get the best prices for your cucumber
Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by Me4sure: 2:33pm On Oct 25, 2016
SEE REASONS WHY YOU NEED TO INVEST TODAY
Let’s talk - Did you know that since 2009, investors from countries outside Africa have been buying and leasing millions of hectares of Nigerian land for agricultural purposes? Many people may not know it but there’s a trend of serious land grabbing by foreign interests for OUR land.
Did you know that Foreign Direct Investment in African agribusiness was $10 billion in 2010 with Nigeria having the highest and is projected to reach $45 billion by 2020? Agriculture is taking a huge leap in Africa and investors want a piece of the action too.
o What are you waiting for?
o Nigerians wake up from your slumber, wake up!
Join Midas Initiative TODAY
INVEST IN OWN A FARM PROJECT
Get over 50% discount for a full farm set up (Ugwu, Cucumber, Green Pepper, Cabbage, hot pepper, Chili pepper, Plantain)
PROMO OFFERS
Set up fee for plot of farm @ N75, 000
Set up 8 plots and get one plot free set up
Set up I hectare and get 2 plots free set up
Set up fee can be paid in 3 times Installments
Plantain intercropped with vegetables@100,000 with 2 year land lease per plot.
BENEFITS
Full farm set up which entails land clearing, ploughing, ridging making, seeds, planting, manure, pest control, weeding)
On a plot of land earn as much as N250,000 income and N3,000,000 on a hectare in one year
One year land lease with Irrigation
9 months management
Opportunity to have Midas Food Mart market and sell your farm produce
Organic farm produce
Earn 10% commission for any referral while making someone’s dream of earning extra income a reality. Busy Executives can have us manage their farms.
Become a member of Midas Initiative farmers’ hub
Attend our quarterly food expos and special events
Have us link you to farmers’ association that will aid your growth in this industrial.
Hurry now while promo last
Other services you can enjoy in Midas Initiative: Organic home garden set up, organic manure, King Humus soil conditioner and fertilizer enhancer, seedlings, farm boots, consulting and mentoring.
08091490783 or 08149449140
Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by eminikansoso(m): 3:51pm On Nov 07, 2016
one of the best thread on cucumber farming on this forum
Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by odinaka5: 7:02pm On Nov 07, 2016
@Jasper7, thanks very much for this valuable information and insight into cucumber business. I am based in Owerri and have some piece of land to start a cucumber business. However, I will be happy if I can meet you in person, and I don't mind doing an intern in your farm to learn first hand from you. Thank you very much. My email is odys4life2000@yahoo.com. Plz if you don't mind email me your contact number so that I can arrange when best to meet you around your schedule.
Once again, thanks very much and God bless.
Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by knoxx: 10:14pm On Nov 09, 2016
I just stumbled on your page while on jethros page. Am an agric science teacher and also passionate about farming as well. I know this quote is old but ill very much like to practicalise using sack. I and my students have a mini farm which is actually a small balcony of first floor 6ft by 2ft. We just harvested our tomatoes which were infested by disease. So we think we can try out cucumber and harvest by December. Pls could you help us with some seeds plssssssssssssssssssss.
jasper7:
I can remember I promised to give out free seed to followers of this thread. at least I gave some out to kalusam which he has planted and am glad to see his progress. please if you're interested in getting few sample seeds. indicate. let me use this one as new year gift. please note that the seed must enter ground. by fire by force. by friday next week, I'll dispatch to 3 locations. to abeokuta, ibadan and lagos. choose the location nearest to you and comment here, to get your own free seed. pls, even if you don't have land or space. you can plant in sack bags. I'll upload a picture example soonest.
Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by lanre2009: 3:33am On Nov 10, 2016
I think the school should be able to provide you guys with seeds or have the students contribute to buy the seeds.....just my opinion....Cheers!

knoxx:
I just stumbled on your page while on jethros page. Am an agric science teacher and also passionate about farming as well. I know this quote is old but ill very much like to practicalise using sack. I and my students have a mini farm which is actually a small balcony of first floor 6ft by 2ft. We just harvested our tomatoes which were infested by disease. So we think we can try out cucumber and harvest by December. Pls could you help us with some seeds plssssssssssssssssssss.
Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by ayosco2008(m): 12:32pm On Nov 10, 2016
I want to do a trial sack farm.. Anyone that has seeds and wanna sell please I'm willing to buy. I need around 100 seeds. Location is lagos.. Thanks
Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by knoxx: 2:34pm On Nov 10, 2016
I do appreciate your suggestion. Made some calls, but the prices I've heard so far is neck breaking and buying online from aliexpress will take almost a month. If any one can help i would appreciate and also post pics for advice as we progress.
lanre2009:
I think the school should be able to provide you guys with seeds or have the students contribute to buy the seeds.....just my opinion....Cheers!

1 Like

Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by eminikansoso(m): 2:50pm On Nov 10, 2016
knoxx:
I do appreciate your suggestion. Made some calls, but the prices I've heard so far is neck breaking and buying online from aliexpress will take almost a month. If any one can help i would appreciate and also post pics for advice as we progress.
i have the seed for planting by next week and I bought my seed here in onitsha.

Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by knoxx: 7:39pm On Nov 10, 2016
Me too ooooooo!
ayosco2008:
I want to do a trial sack farm.. Anyone that has seeds and wanna sell please I'm willing to buy. I need around 100 seeds. Location is lagos.. Thanks
Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by Deen1st(m): 1:31pm On Nov 14, 2016
You can get a 50g of Cucumber seed from Ketu for as low as 2.5k to 3k.
Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by FarmTech(m): 11:27pm On Nov 16, 2016
eminikansoso:

i have the seed for planting by next week and I bought my seed here in onitsha.

Where did u buy them?
Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by eminikansoso(m): 7:48am On Nov 17, 2016
FarmTech:

Where did u buy them?
Onitsha
Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by phillings247: 4:48pm On Nov 17, 2016
Deen1st:
You can get a 50g of Cucumber seed from Ketu for as low as 2.5k to 3k.
pls.where can i get d seeds in ketu
Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by FarmTech(m): 12:48am On Nov 22, 2016
eminikansoso:
Onitsha
I'm in Onitsha too. where in particular?
Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by eminikansoso(m): 9:45am On Nov 22, 2016
FarmTech:

I'm in Onitsha too. where in particular?
sokoto road
kano street
pampam lane
Haruna Street
All near Main market Onitsha
Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by REDDEVILS1(m): 11:49pm On Nov 23, 2016
jasper7:
It's no longer a hear-say, believe it or not. We will carry out a small experiment here on Nairaland. And see how much we make. With that, we can project the income when the real farming season begins. Action plan would be shared 2moro
Nna abeg mind giving me a Hola on what's app. Am about to start cucumber farming one 1 hectare. Thanks 08039297972
Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by Delgi(m): 9:03am On Nov 24, 2016
104 cell Nursery trays available in Ibadan @ ₦900 each. Seedling trays facilitates easy handling during transplantation of delicate seedlings used extensively in horticulture field , like cultivating Propagating Vegetable(cucumber, tomatoes etc) , flowers and other plant from seed.. Can supply nationwide.
Contact atomanth@gmail.com or WhatsApp +917531986557 Or Call Damilola @ 08087946009 if interested.

1 Share

Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by Lateef1Ismail: 11:05am On Nov 24, 2016
Denn:

Please jasper7 can you leave your WhatsApp no in order to ask some questions
Been following your posts.

Was about asking you on how you irrigate.

Can you please shed more light on this?

What methods do you employ.

In addition, I can notice mulching... More on these please
Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by Lateef1Ismail: 11:09am On Nov 24, 2016
Denn:

Please jasper7 can you leave your WhatsApp no in order to ask some questions( 07083337391)
Been following your posts.

Was about asking you on how you irrigate.

Can you please shed more light on this?

What methods do you employ.

In addition, I can notice mulching... More on these please
Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by REDDEVILS1(m): 9:42am On Nov 27, 2016
jasper7:
Well, I have been postponing this for a while, just because I dont believe in "internet farming". But I feel the need to encourage other Nigerian youths out there who want to venture into agribusiness. Came back to Nigeria after University studies to invest in my country, it has not been easy so far to farm in Nigeria. The challenges have been enormous but *in Lil Wayne's voice* "we doing aite".
If I start my story, the epistle will be too long, so... I'll just get straight to the point.

I am a vegetable farmer. And farm majorly cucumber. I am pro-organic farming (it's very expensive in Nigeria). I employ technologies from around the world (especially thailand) that suit our climate and culture. I've been into this for quite a while now.

Decided to upload pictures of how I plant and the agronomy I employ in my cucumber farming. To get more ideas from the pros here and to excite the intending farmers. Just follow up
Odogwu Jasper abeg you are obviously a very busy person. Please I need to get in contact with you. I need ur advice about my farm. Pls mail me ur no c.anieze@gmail.com my no is 08039297972 so sorry for the Inconveniences thanks alot
Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by jasper7(m): 12:17pm On Nov 27, 2016
REDDEVILS1:
Odogwu Jasper abeg you are obviously a very busy person. Please I need to get in contact with you. I need ur advice about my farm. Pls mail me ur no c.anieze@gmail.com my no is 08039297972 so sorry for the Inconveniences thanks alot
Sorry sir... You can chat me up on whatsapp with 08097273034
Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by stuartpro(m): 10:44pm On Feb 13, 2017
jasper7:
NUMBER 3: PESTS and DISEASES. Pests is usually a problem to contend with because it's a dicey situation.
The reason is, the major pests of cucumber are insects, and cucumber needs some insects for pollination like butterfly, bees e.t.c other insect will just eat the flowers and leaves and stunt the production of the crop.
I had this problem initially,
How do I spray pesticide on the crop without killing the useful insects. After much research and facts finding, I came to this wonderful conclusion.

Cucumber produces colourful flowers, and that is what attracts butterflies and bees(useful insects). While the other insects come to chop leaf and live on the leaf. So when the flowers are not bright the useful insects fly away.
When are the flowers not so bright? IN THE NIGHT!!! So the best time to spray insecticde/pesticide without killing the useful insects is in the evening or night.

Please don't spray pesticide speculatively, wait untill you notice presence of pests

what are some insecticides/pesticides one can spray to put off unwanted visitors
my number is 08082002555, can chat with u on this line. about kicking off with mine by february ending. need ur advice pls. more grease to ur biz.
Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by testimonyng: 8:58pm On Mar 04, 2017
Good evening house.
I trust you're already making plans to attend the first ever Conference on Watermelon & Cucumber at Centre for Management Development, CMD Rd, Magodo, Lagos on 18 March, 2017.

The purpose of this conference is to bring together those involved in cucurbits so we can share information on all aspects of cucurbit research, development production and marketing. We invite you to join us for this in-depth conference on exploring the ever-changing face of cucurbit production.

Theme: "Harnessing the Wealth Opportunities of Growing Watermelons & Cucumbers in Nigeria"

Educational Session Topics:
1. Watermelon Cultivation and Management for
Maximum Production
2. Management & Control of Insects and Diseases in cucurbits
3. Maximizing Yield in Cucumber Through Irrigation and Nutrient Management
4. Roles of Farmers Organization in Produce Marketing
5. Farm Account, Agronomy & Resource Magmt
6. Group discussion session

If you are interested in cucurbits such as cucumbers, melons, pumpkins, gourds, squash, watermelons or exotic species, you should attend this conference. We are expecting more than 100 individuals in attendance, comprising of academicians and students, commercial plant breeders and other scientists, growers, marketers, bankers and industry representatives.

Participation fee is N5,000 only payable to: Ayofolami Nig Co
Zenith Bank 1012464004. Pls inform admin of your payment.

Note: The conference is not a moneymaking event. The N5,000 participating fee is cover expenses such as the venue, audio equipment, guest speakers, cucumber / watermrlon break, lunch, educational materials, promotion, etc.

Guest speakers include Jasper & other experts

You have the opportunity to become a member of the Watermelon Cucumber Association of Nigeria.

Sponsorship opportunities available.

Futher enquiries & sponsorship: call Olaitan +234 817 006 2388. Owoseni +234 802 738 5852 Omowunmi
+234 814 126 1366 or Admin 07032115749

See you in Lagos!
Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by Chrisdewizard: 9:19pm On Mar 04, 2017
Thanks a lot cus i just did some testing about cucumber with two ridges and they are doing well.

3 Likes

Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by femijon: 6:00am On Mar 05, 2017
THOUSANDS OF PROJECT MATERIALS FOR FREE DOWNLOAD

looking For Project materials to finish that project of yours

Visit:http://www.streaminet.com/research/

we have research papers free for download...we are research material aggregator

Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by Aagadingo(m): 12:41pm On Mar 07, 2017
Pls how much can sum1 make on 100polythene bags of cucumber now
Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by raybekah6(f): 4:35pm On Mar 07, 2017
Well done Oga jasper!
Cucumber is a very lucrative business, i cultivated it for awhile and did very well but we were reap off by the caber in mile 12 market.
Though, luckily we were able to break even.

I am following, so more tips boss.

1 Like

Re: Modern Cucumber Farming. My 1 Million Naira Experience *with Pictures* by RealityShot: 4:53am On Apr 22, 2017
hello Mr. Jasper,
is the technique discussed in the linked thread workable; have you tried it?
https://www.nairaland.com/3518954/how-plant-24000-seeds-cucumber
thank you

(1) (2) (3) ... (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (Reply)

Starting An Oil Palm Plantation / 500,000 Naira From One Plot Of Land In 90 Days. / The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.