Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,446 members, 7,812,363 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:17 PM

Basic And Detailed Information About Android Rooting (things You Never Knew) - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Basic And Detailed Information About Android Rooting (things You Never Knew) (22830 Views)

Full And Detailed Review Infinix HOT NOTE / Awesome Facts You Should Know About ANDROID {pics} / Interesting Facts You Need To Know About Android (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Basic And Detailed Information About Android Rooting (things You Never Knew) by Wittylens(m): 3:46pm On Nov 28, 2014
WHAT IS ANDROID ROOTING?

The Android phone that you are using is running an operating system that was designed for commercial and private use. Like most any operating system, several features have been disabled, either for future use or to prevent the casual user from causing permanent damage to the operating system. Smartphone have different operating systems and different name for each process used to gain access to the phone's full functions. For example, Nokia Symbian is called hacking, Apple iOS is called jailbreaking, and for Android which is our main focus is called ROOTING. we are going to be talking about Android rooting; what is rooting?, advantage and disadvantage of rooting,etc.

"Rooting" is the process in which the limitations are removed and full-access is allowed. Rooting your Android device involves adding in a small Linux application called “su ”. It stands for SuperUser, and allows applications and commands to run with elevated permissions. Once rooted, the Android phone owner will have more control over many settings, features and performance of their phone. Basically, "rooting" means to get to the root of the operating system and to have the ability to make global changes."

Why would I want to root my phone?

Good question! Maybe you don’t. Everything in a Linux system is a file, or is treated as a file. Since Android runs on top of Linux, it acts the same way. Most of the files you will need to access or change are available to you without having elevated permissions. When you want to do things that affect or change the core software of your device -- like updating the version of Android on your phone , or adding a nice piece of software from another device you'll have to do it as root.

Rooting also gives you access to some handy software that you couldn’t use otherwise. Things like a complete system backup or ad blocking software require you to root your device. Don’t root your phone just for the sake of rooting your phone, but if you come across something you feel you could use or would like to have, then consider it. You'll find that the open source community is usually pretty helpful and encouraging new people to do new things is common. And when you get to the point where you can lend a hand to the new folks, pay it forward.

Advantages

"Rooting" your Android phone does afford you numerous benefits, including:

1. Running special applications -Superuser is an app that can only be run on a rooted Android phone. This allows you to control which apps have access to the "root" system. Another popular application that "rooting" affords is the ability to tether a computer to your Android phone so that the computer can access the Internet using the phone's data connection. Another program can allow your Android to be used as a WiFi Hotspot without having to pay your provider for the feature.

2. Freeing up memory -When you install an app on your phone, it is stored on the phone's memory."Rooting"allows you to move installed applications to your SD card, thus freeing up system memory for additional files or apps.

3. Custom ROM's -This is the most powerful feature of "rooted" phones. There are hundreds of custom ROM's that can do anything from speeding up the processing speed of your phone to changing the entire look and feel of your phone.

Disadvantages

There are two main disadvantages to rooting and Android phone:

1. Rooting immediately voids your phone's warranty - Once rooted, don't try to bring your phone back for service or warranty work. You are on your own!

2. Rooting involves the risk of "bricking" your phone - In essence, a "bricked" phone is no better than carrying around a brick in your pocket. The phone is dead when it has been "bricked."

Other potential disadvantages, though less severe, are still worthy of consideration:

1. Poor performance - Though the intention of "rooting" a phone is to give the phone more performance, several users have found that, in their attempts to speed up the phone or add additional features, that their phones lost both performance speed and features. Remember that when you "root" your Android phone, you are making changes to the stock operating system.

2.Viruses - Yes, even phones can get viruses. A common practice that people do with "rooted" phones is to flash their ROM's with custom programs. Whenever you make changes to the code of a software, you run the risk of introducing a virus.

Conclusion

So, the decision to "root" your Android phone is one that should not be rushed into. Though the allure of having an unlocked phone is powerful, having a "bricked" phone is, trust me, not very much fun.

Source : http://androidnigeria.com.ng/what-is-android-rooting/

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Basic And Detailed Information About Android Rooting (things You Never Knew) by Collinz2(m): 4:06pm On Nov 28, 2014
Rooting does nt brick android phone (use wrong method it wont root).

rooting does nt cause poor performers.

rooting does nt make ur phone to get virus.

39 Likes 1 Share

Re: Basic And Detailed Information About Android Rooting (things You Never Knew) by jimohibrahim(m): 5:10pm On Nov 28, 2014
God bless you brother,help me tell him

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Basic And Detailed Information About Android Rooting (things You Never Knew) by slap1(m): 5:49pm On Nov 28, 2014
Still unable to root my Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini. It's really getting me angry. Any help will be hugely appreciated.
Re: Basic And Detailed Information About Android Rooting (things You Never Knew) by timijoseph01(m): 6:05pm On Nov 28, 2014
Collinz2:

2 Likes

Re: Basic And Detailed Information About Android Rooting (things You Never Knew) by Collinz2(m): 7:20pm On Nov 28, 2014
slap1:
Still unable to root my Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini. It's really getting me angry. Any help will be hugely appreciated.
check thru xda forum samsung is the easiest phone to root.

1 Like

Re: Basic And Detailed Information About Android Rooting (things You Never Knew) by Wittylens(m): 7:48pm On Nov 28, 2014
Collinz2:

You obviously don't know anything about Android.

Rooting your phone is like removing your protection. Once the protection is gone the phone becomes vunerable..

5 Likes

Re: Basic And Detailed Information About Android Rooting (things You Never Knew) by Collinz2(m): 8:41pm On Nov 28, 2014
Wittylens:

You obviously don't know anything about Android.

Rooting your phone is like removing your protection. Once the protection is gone the phone becomes vunerable..
let me say 90% of android users has root their phone how many of them complain of virus?
rooting only gives u more administrator's rights to ur phone.

6 Likes

Re: Basic And Detailed Information About Android Rooting (things You Never Knew) by Wittylens(m): 9:24pm On Nov 28, 2014
Collinz2:
let me say 90% of android users has root their phone how many of them complain of virus?
rooting only gives u more administrator's rights to ur phone.

Ok sir...

I dont want to argue.

1 Like

Re: Basic And Detailed Information About Android Rooting (things You Never Knew) by Collinz2(m): 9:57pm On Nov 28, 2014
Wittylens:

Ok sir...

I dont want to argue.
because u know am right

4 Likes

Re: Basic And Detailed Information About Android Rooting (things You Never Knew) by Drfash(f): 10:07pm On Nov 28, 2014
all ur advantages re tru buh i know ntin bout ur disadvangest
Re: Basic And Detailed Information About Android Rooting (things You Never Knew) by ify84(m): 10:19pm On Nov 28, 2014
My phon gave me this warning today.... What should I do... Uninstall root or allow it like that... See screenshot

1 Like

Re: Basic And Detailed Information About Android Rooting (things You Never Knew) by Promking: 10:22pm On Nov 28, 2014
Wittylens

How does rooting slow down a phone....according to your post

1. Poor performance- Though the intention of "rooting" a phone is to give the phone more performance, several users have found that, in their attempts to speed up the phone or add additional features, that their phones lost both performance speed and features. Remember that when you "root" your Android phone, you are making changes to the stock operating system.

I thought that's a common remark from peeps using a phone running on 512MB ram

How about those on 1GB ram upwards
Re: Basic And Detailed Information About Android Rooting (things You Never Knew) by Wittylens(m): 10:47pm On Nov 28, 2014
Promking:
Wittylens

How does rooting slow down a phone....according to your post

I thought that's a common remark from peeps using a phone running on 512MB ram

How about those on 1GB ram upwards

Question for the gods grin

No be me write am
Re: Basic And Detailed Information About Android Rooting (things You Never Knew) by Wittylens(m): 10:48pm On Nov 28, 2014
ify84:
My phon gave me this warning today.... What should I do... Uninstall root or allow it like that... See screenshot

Uninstall
Re: Basic And Detailed Information About Android Rooting (things You Never Knew) by justi4jesu(f): 4:08am On Nov 29, 2014
Nice
Re: Basic And Detailed Information About Android Rooting (things You Never Knew) by Tonniey(m): 4:09am On Nov 29, 2014
Thanks op, since my fone can allow me check nairaland even as early as 4;14am, I don't need rooting

6 Likes

Re: Basic And Detailed Information About Android Rooting (things You Never Knew) by SlimSkipper(m): 4:11am On Nov 29, 2014
Hw does dis solve the problem btw d reps and d outgoing pres. GEJ, just askin

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Basic And Detailed Information About Android Rooting (things You Never Knew) by gbodimowo(m): 4:11am On Nov 29, 2014
ok
Re: Basic And Detailed Information About Android Rooting (things You Never Knew) by neuljosh(m): 4:14am On Nov 29, 2014
No be only rooting roofing

1 Like

Re: Basic And Detailed Information About Android Rooting (things You Never Knew) by eminex(m): 4:15am On Nov 29, 2014
rooted
Re: Basic And Detailed Information About Android Rooting (things You Never Knew) by GentleFrank(m): 4:18am On Nov 29, 2014
Wow, nice android tips. I never knew most of these before. Tnx @ OP !!!
Re: Basic And Detailed Information About Android Rooting (things You Never Knew) by technophile(m): 4:19am On Nov 29, 2014
I seriously don't know where you guys are seeing virus on android fones, as it ever occurred to you that the antivirus on ur android fone may the virus slowing down your phone? cos me I've been installing from an unknown source on my rooted android phones since 2010, yet my fone no dey get any lag.

4 Likes

Re: Basic And Detailed Information About Android Rooting (things You Never Knew) by felixdanielthed(m): 4:21am On Nov 29, 2014
Advantage more dan disavantage.

Root pls

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Basic And Detailed Information About Android Rooting (things You Never Knew) by LEERICIST(m): 4:22am On Nov 29, 2014
booked
Re: Basic And Detailed Information About Android Rooting (things You Never Knew) by zabilon(m): 4:28am On Nov 29, 2014
Re: Basic And Detailed Information About Android Rooting (things You Never Knew) by rill: 4:29am On Nov 29, 2014
K
Re: Basic And Detailed Information About Android Rooting (things You Never Knew) by bunmioguns(m): 4:30am On Nov 29, 2014
:oa
Re: Basic And Detailed Information About Android Rooting (things You Never Knew) by TheRealAdonye(m): 4:33am On Nov 29, 2014
I can do 1 and 2. I didn't need to root my phone to do that. .

Meanwhile, I am trying to root my Samsung S4 Zoom but its not working. I had rooted my former S3 before and I've upgraded my OS to KitKat so I consider myself an advanced user.
Re: Basic And Detailed Information About Android Rooting (things You Never Knew) by globatop: 4:41am On Nov 29, 2014
Comment reserved:
Re: Basic And Detailed Information About Android Rooting (things You Never Knew) by Vikkiboi(m): 4:43am On Nov 29, 2014
just here to make front page...okbye
Re: Basic And Detailed Information About Android Rooting (things You Never Knew) by Promking: 4:44am On Nov 29, 2014
@Android gurus in the house

Can a superuser be uninstalled/frozen? by using Titanium backup pro

Alse can it be replaced by another 'superuser'

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Android 5.1 Lollipop Update Now Available For Infinix Hot Note X551 (PHOTOS) / Lovely Text Messages For Your Love Ones / Etisalat(9mobile) 1GB For 200

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.