Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,321 members, 7,811,951 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:13 AM

Nigeria Seeks N59 billion Loan To Build New Satellites - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Seeks N59 billion Loan To Build New Satellites (5147 Views)

Nigeria Seeks Secret Trial For Nnamdi Kanu. / Nigeria Seeks $3Billion Loan From China / Nigeria Seeks $1.5Billion From China For Rice, Cassava (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Seeks N59 billion Loan To Build New Satellites by kosovo(m): 6:22am On Dec 01, 2008
The management of NigComSat Limited has appealed to the House of Representatives  Commi-ttee on Science and Technology to prevail on the Federal Executive Council (FEC) to approve the utilisation of $500 million (N59 billion) concessionary loan for the construction of NigComSat 2 and 3 advanced series.

The loan, according to the firm, would come from the China Exim Bank. The appeal follows the final confirmation of the loss of the N40 billion NigComSat-1.

The two proposed facilities will serve as back-ups to the construction of a NigComSat-1R meant to replace the lost satellite.   

Managing Director of the firm, Professor Ahmed Rufai, disclosed this recently while briefing members of the House Committee. Rufai, who said NigComSat-1 had become “irreparably damaged” and therefore flown out of orbit, added that given the importance of the facility, there was need for its urgent replacement and the construction of back-ups.

He also urged the House to assist the Federal Ministry of Science and Technology and NigComSat Limited in convincing FEC to approve the bulk purchase of bandwidth under a Back-Up Services Agreement with an alternative satellite operator who has a satellite as powerful as the collapsed NigComSat-1.

According to him, NigComSat remains optimistic on the future and potential of the project despite the temporary setback being experienced in the implementation of the nation's satellite project.  He said the current experience of the loss of the satellite was neither uncommon nor bizarre in the industry, adding that on the same day NigComSat-1 crashed, a private satellite operator recorded six failures on six satellites.

He debunked claims that the facility failed because of the use of inferior components and the speed at which it was installed during the twilight days of the Obasanjo regime.

The NigComSat boss also allayed fears on the status of the facility in terms of insurance, stressing that NigComSat-1 was fully insured to the tune of 112 million euros by renowned international underwriters with proven integrity and in accordance with industry standards.

Giving some details on the failed satellite, Rufai said the problem was caused by what he described as "solar flare", an accidental occurrence which cut of the fuel supply linkage with the solar panels and the battery.

Meanwhile, the Minister of Science and Technology Chief Grace Ekpiwhre, has held a meeting with senior officials of the Ministry to chart a way forward. In attendance at the crucial meeting were Rufai and the DG of National Space Research and Development Agency (NASRDA), Prof Robert Boroficce,

whats really happening?

http://www.y2kpublishing.com/site/view_news.php?id=874
Re: Nigeria Seeks N59 billion Loan To Build New Satellites by Ibime(m): 11:23am On Dec 01, 2008
They should go and find NigComSat1 first
Re: Nigeria Seeks N59 billion Loan To Build New Satellites by doyin13(m): 1:47pm On Dec 01, 2008
Someone enlighten me. . . .for what purpose is this whole satellite project
Re: Nigeria Seeks N59 billion Loan To Build New Satellites by Nobody: 2:13pm On Dec 01, 2008
prolly to fill some 'contractors' pockets: i need to get in on these fed govt projects - accountability is nil grin
Re: Nigeria Seeks N59 billion Loan To Build New Satellites by princekevo(m): 3:08pm On Dec 01, 2008
This is the kind of news from Nigeria that spoils my day and turns my stomach each time i read them. Instead of NigComSat and the rest involved should be held responsible for the lost of a 40 billion naira satelite as a result of their foolishness and lack of maintainance culture.They are bold enough to propose for another 59billion naira for a new satelite which everyone knows they would also not maintain.While an average Nigerians are suffering from poverty that has no end.
This should tell every Nigerian that some group of people are taking us for fools.

The NigComSat boss also allayed fears on the status of the facility in terms of insurance, stressing that NigComSat-1 was fully insured to the tune of 112 million euros by renowned international underwriters with proven integrity and in accordance with industry standards.

If the satelite was fully insured then i think they should have chanel their proposal to the insurance company and wait until they get a result from there.
Re: Nigeria Seeks N59 billion Loan To Build New Satellites by Nobody: 8:17pm On Dec 01, 2008
Nigerians = Monkeys.
nuff said
Re: Nigeria Seeks N59 billion Loan To Build New Satellites by Kobojunkie: 8:24pm On Dec 01, 2008
A-town:

Nigerians = Monkeys.
nuff said

Kai!!! make you just stop that nonsense!! When you don see monkey dey act like Nigerians? When you don see monkeys kill themselves like wetin happen for Jos this past few days? When you see Monkey dey complain about how every other monkey from other tribes wan kill im people? Make you mind yourself ooo?? Do dey insult monkeys like that, roflmao!!
Re: Nigeria Seeks N59 billion Loan To Build New Satellites by DavidDylan(m): 8:27pm On Dec 01, 2008
Kobojunkie:

Kai!!! make you just stop that nonsense!! When you don see monkey dey act like Nigerians? When you don see monkeys kill themselves like wetin happen for Jos this past few days? When you see Monkey dey complain about how every other monkey from other tribes wan kill I'm people? Make you mind yourself ooo?? Do dey insult monkeys like that, roflmao!!

Na true. At least Monkeys get brain. A-town abeg apologise to all monkeys.
Re: Nigeria Seeks N59 billion Loan To Build New Satellites by MrCrackles(m): 8:29pm On Dec 01, 2008
Nigeria and gbese

I know no which one go kill which!!! grin
Re: Nigeria Seeks N59 billion Loan To Build New Satellites by Nobody: 8:32pm On Dec 01, 2008
DavidDylan:

Na true. At least Monkeys get brain. A-town abeg apologise to all monkeys.

I have realized my mistake and i hereby apologize to all monkeys. !!!!
Re: Nigeria Seeks N59 billion Loan To Build New Satellites by vowiski(m): 9:31pm On Dec 01, 2008
it was expected.
no hard feelings,
Re: Nigeria Seeks N59 billion Loan To Build New Satellites by angel101(f): 9:41pm On Dec 01, 2008
Is anyone even thinking about the power situation which keep degenerating every day? satelite my foot!
Re: Nigeria Seeks N59 billion Loan To Build New Satellites by Kobojunkie: 10:27pm On Dec 01, 2008
*** cringe ***
Re: Nigeria Seeks N59 billion Loan To Build New Satellites by mustafar1: 11:24pm On Dec 01, 2008
u cant fix wat doesnt exist. do we really have a power sector in naija? ok maibe we do, the generator sellers(john holt and co) are the power sector.
Re: Nigeria Seeks N59 billion Loan To Build New Satellites by asha80(m): 12:14am On Dec 02, 2008
Nigeria is a joke grin
Re: Nigeria Seeks N59 billion Loan To Build New Satellites by bawomolo(m): 4:03am On Dec 02, 2008
abeg make them no buy panti from china again. aba boys can do the job at a cheaper price.
Re: Nigeria Seeks N59 billion Loan To Build New Satellites by bawomolo(m): 4:04am On Dec 02, 2008
doyin13:

Someone enlighten me. . . .for what purpose is this whole satellite project

bragging rights my man
Re: Nigeria Seeks N59 billion Loan To Build New Satellites by vowiski(m): 5:11am On Dec 02, 2008
this all nothing but a sham!
the BABA's administration was just a waste,
to me there was never a satellite or the company who designed it is neither reconigised nor capable of building such hi-tech satellite,
or maybe obansajor just gave them N15 BILLION and they had no option but to make crap. or maybe, maybe,
Re: Nigeria Seeks N59 billion Loan To Build New Satellites by Jakumo(m): 7:11am On Dec 02, 2008
The reality is that government "service" in Nigeria equates with an 007 licence to steal from the state treasury, so the biggest challenge faced by potential thieves in government has always been that of creating legitimate-sounding names for all proposed embezzlement schemes concocted in the corridors of power to feed the greed.

The selection of this "satellite" tag  to legitimize the latest rash of billion-dollar thefts by Nigerian government officials is a bold master-stroke of inspired criminal genius, given the infinite vastness of outer space, and the absolute impossibility of EVER finding any missing hardware out there, particularly since all Nigerian-claimed satellites will by definition only ever exist in the fertile imaginations of the kleptomaniac officials, and in the relevant fund requisition paperwork.

Now, if only I could find a way to get a piece of this action, and the subsequent guaranteed impunity.
Re: Nigeria Seeks N59 billion Loan To Build New Satellites by scottN(m): 7:28am On Dec 02, 2008
Typical of Nigerian Government when it comes to Maintenance Culture. They would rather REPLACE than REPAIR. Another excuse to go to d coffers. By the way did we ever fully utilise NigComSat1 (How reliable is our weather forecast)? What do we need NigComSat 2 and 3 advanced series for. It's like wanting to run when u can't walk. May God protect us all and save this great country Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria Seeks N59 billion Loan To Build New Satellites by Muza(m): 11:07am On Dec 02, 2008
Up till this moment i still don't believe a satellite was launched in the first place.
What i believe is that the ruthless Chinese just gave us a space on their own satellite.
Re: Nigeria Seeks N59 billion Loan To Build New Satellites by Nobody: 11:09am On Dec 02, 2008
Were you sleeping when they did that?
Re: Nigeria Seeks N59 billion Loan To Build New Satellites by Muza(m): 11:32am On Dec 02, 2008
nuzo:

Were you sleeping when they did that?

You that was awake,were you at the launch site, gullible big fool.
Don't you know that any other launch could have been recorded for you to watch.
Or let me guess, u are one of the contractors.
If wind blow your nyash go show, grin
Re: Nigeria Seeks N59 billion Loan To Build New Satellites by Rudboy(m): 2:57pm On Dec 02, 2008
How many people live on less than a dollar per day? How many people will $500 million dollars feed or how many useful projects will be developed on the same amount! Lets not compete with developed countries who have the capacity and money to spend! Thats hypocrisy beyond human feelings. STOP THE WAR IN JOS AND DELTA STATE FIRST! THEN THINK OF GOING TO MARS!!!
Re: Nigeria Seeks N59 billion Loan To Build New Satellites by Muza(m): 3:12pm On Dec 02, 2008
bawomolo:

bragging rights my man
grin LMFAO grin
Re: Nigeria Seeks N59 billion Loan To Build New Satellites by Nobody: 3:17pm On Dec 02, 2008
Muza:

You that was awake,were you at the launch site, gullible big fool.
Don't you know that any other launch could have been recorded for you to watch.
Or let me guess, u are one of the contractors.
If wind blow your nyash go show,  grin

LOL. . . . you are the gullible idiot here.
Why will i be at the launch site when i knew it was going to be a failed project? Were nigerians not supposed to monitor what they wasted billions on?
Do not come here blaming the chinese alone, when its clear that obj and nigeria swindled the shit headed nigerian sufferheads.

Now, you brother is trying to repeat exactly what obj did; $500m to build new satellites that will never exist.
FYI, am not a typical nigerian; i can never be caught dead in any form of corruption. wink
Re: Nigeria Seeks N59 billion Loan To Build New Satellites by Muza(m): 3:23pm On Dec 02, 2008
nuzo:

LOL. . . . you are the gullible idiot here.
Why will i be at the launch site when i knew it was going to be a failed project? Were nigerians not supposed to monitor what they wasted billions on?
Do not come here blaming the chinese alone, when its clear that obj and nigeria swindled the shit headed nigerian sufferheads.

Now, you brother is trying to repeat exactly what obj did; $500m to build new satellites that will never exist.
FYI, am not a typical nigerian; i can never be caught dead in any form of corruption. wink

grin lol

If you knew it was a failed project why did you watch it.
I knew it was a scam that was why i ddnt even bother myself to watch it.

Kai! angry
That OGJ na Yahoo boy o

for you info that crooked rufai is igbira not Hausa.
Re: Nigeria Seeks N59 billion Loan To Build New Satellites by Nobody: 3:41pm On Dec 02, 2008
Muza
I had to watch the launch cos my chinese friends were excited their government and that of my supposed "one nigeria" were working together. I didnt want to tell them the truth; the truth being that the whole show was a scam; it could have broken my relationship with my chinese friends.
Besides, i was rooting and hoping that nigeria will turn out to be a better place, but time has proven me wrong. cry cry cry
Re: Nigeria Seeks N59 billion Loan To Build New Satellites by Muza(m): 3:54pm On Dec 02, 2008
nuzo:

Muza
I had to watch the launch because my chinese friends were excited their government and that of my supposed "one nigeria" were working together. I didnt want to tell them the truth; the truth being that the whole show was a scam; it could have broken my relationship with my chinese friends.
Besides, i was rooting and hoping that nigeria will turn out to be a better place, but time has proven me wrong. cry cry cry

grin LMFAO
Re: Nigeria Seeks N59 billion Loan To Build New Satellites by GoldCircle: 4:15pm On Dec 02, 2008
@ Nuzo,
Abeg wetin you dey do for china? I no mean any harm o! I am just curious! dats all!
Re: Nigeria Seeks N59 billion Loan To Build New Satellites by IykeD1(m): 4:20pm On Dec 02, 2008
The comedy continues. . . sadly, somehow I am sure they will manage to get the money from the
government! Maybe while they are at it, they can build roads and bridges in space for us since
they have given up on building them on earth for Nigerians.
Re: Nigeria Seeks N59 billion Loan To Build New Satellites by Muza(m): 4:37pm On Dec 02, 2008
Iyke-D:

The comedy continues. . . sadly, somehow I am sure they will manage to get the money from the
government! Maybe while they are at it, they can build roads and bridges in space for us since
they have given up on building them on earth for Nigerians.

How can you be sure the will collect the money from the govt?
have they collected the shocked $16bn for power or N80bn from NPA or N19bn from fani kayode and co or from the EX govs, the list is endless.
Nigeria is in a sorry state.

I was beyond angry angry when the MD of NIGCOM-SAT showed up at the reps panel to explain the whereabout of the satellite,
the guy ddnt show the slightest sign of remorse that nigeria had wasted(Lost) $500m.

There is just 1 thing that always consoles me,
that there shall be a day of reckoning when everyone will account for his deeds.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

I Will Vote For Jonathan In 2015. What About You? / A Reporter Asked Obama If Its Possible To Postpone Election , See Answer / 17 Presidential Results Released So Far

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.