Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,163 members, 7,815,063 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:31 AM

BREAKING: Court Grants PDP Leave For Motion To Vacate Speaker Tambuwal’s Seat . - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / BREAKING: Court Grants PDP Leave For Motion To Vacate Speaker Tambuwal’s Seat . (25687 Views)

Former President And Wife Leave For Otuoke( Picture) / Court Grants PDP Leave For Motion To Vacate Tambuwal's Seat / Speaker Tambuwal Defects To APC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: BREAKING: Court Grants PDP Leave For Motion To Vacate Speaker Tambuwal’s Seat . by pendy179: 7:09pm On Dec 01, 2014
LordMecuzy:

Gbam u've said it all

Learned Colleague

Thanks but ain't a lawyer, the only law I know na from john Grisham Books.
grin grin cheesy

1 Like

Re: BREAKING: Court Grants PDP Leave For Motion To Vacate Speaker Tambuwal’s Seat . by bamosagie(m): 7:09pm On Dec 01, 2014
Funny, Rivers state may not have a single representative in the house by January 1st 2015.
Re: BREAKING: Court Grants PDP Leave For Motion To Vacate Speaker Tambuwal’s Seat . by Nobody: 7:09pm On Dec 01, 2014
Sunnybobo3:
A federal high court in Abuja has granted leave to the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) to file a motion for an order of mandamus compelling Aminu Tambuwal, speaker of the federal house of representatives to declare his seat vacant. More to follow…

Read more at: http://www.thecable.ng/breaking-court-grants-pdp-leave-motion-vacate-tambuwals-seat | TheCable

Good development................ Ama smiling!

1 Like

Re: BREAKING: Court Grants PDP Leave For Motion To Vacate Speaker Tambuwal’s Seat . by shizzleStar: 7:10pm On Dec 01, 2014
holatin:

I owns my house you destitute
owns kor howns ni....omo yoruba, this your English sef fit make bukohari convert to pastor cheesygrin and its your type that will open your mouth to insult PEJ

onyeara sombody grin

2 Likes

Re: BREAKING: Court Grants PDP Leave For Motion To Vacate Speaker Tambuwal’s Seat . by Morkavictor: 7:12pm On Dec 01, 2014
barcanista:
What is illegitimate in approaching a superior court of competent jurisdiction to challenge the ruling of a lower court?
but you didn't remeber that yesterday when you were celebrating the court ruling that was in APC's favour.

1 Like

Re: BREAKING: Court Grants PDP Leave For Motion To Vacate Speaker Tambuwal’s Seat . by purplesummer(f): 7:12pm On Dec 01, 2014
p3ndy79:

An order of mandamus is a [b]writ of summon[/b]which command an individual or entity to carry out an instruction or action.

The judge gave an order to the PDP to summon tambuwal to come defend why he should still remain speaker since he has defected.

It is not an EvICTiON or disqualification order from being a member of the house not to talk of him stepping down as speaker.

An Order of Mandamus IS NOT a writ of summons! Habba!! Where did you learn that from?

4 Likes

Re: BREAKING: Court Grants PDP Leave For Motion To Vacate Speaker Tambuwal’s Seat . by allanphash7(m): 7:13pm On Dec 01, 2014
Now i belive that its OMO detergent that is in the head of so call PDP

#Nonsense
Re: BREAKING: Court Grants PDP Leave For Motion To Vacate Speaker Tambuwal’s Seat . by yurme(m): 7:14pm On Dec 01, 2014
holatin:

I owns my house you destitute
lol homeless dude kip blabbn jawe

2 Likes

Re: BREAKING: Court Grants PDP Leave For Motion To Vacate Speaker Tambuwal’s Seat . by p3ndy79: 7:14pm On Dec 01, 2014
SeverusSnape:

you're the senior Advocate of Nairaland. you sound like a law student or a lawyer even ,even the way you explained that Brown's case yesterday. Kudos

Na, I'm no lawyer bro. I'm a mariner. Our knowledge is as broad as the waters we sail.
Re: BREAKING: Court Grants PDP Leave For Motion To Vacate Speaker Tambuwal’s Seat . by Nobody: 7:14pm On Dec 01, 2014
This judge must be silly. Why are we having multiplicity of suits on the same issue. Tambuwal already filed a suit on the issue of his defection at the federal high court. now another judge of the same federal high court is entertaining another suit filed by PDP who are respondents in the earlier case against Tambuwal and APC. Why can't d judge just make an order consolidating the two suits since the issues and the parties are essentially the same.
I read a post by sahara reporters yesterday that the PDP suit was assigned to a PDP sympathetic judge and was sceptical. Reading this now I think they were right. Now what would happen if the judge in this case grants the order of mandamus which looks likely while the other judge in the other case rules in tambuwal's favor
Re: BREAKING: Court Grants PDP Leave For Motion To Vacate Speaker Tambuwal’s Seat . by chimerase2: 7:15pm On Dec 01, 2014
Good development tongue

1 Like

Re: BREAKING: Court Grants PDP Leave For Motion To Vacate Speaker Tambuwal’s Seat . by SeverusSnape(m): 7:15pm On Dec 01, 2014
p3ndy79:

Na, I'm no lawyer bro. I'm a mariner. Our knowledge is as broad as the waters we sail.

Oh!...I love that!, aye aye Captain!!!

1 Like

Re: BREAKING: Court Grants PDP Leave For Motion To Vacate Speaker Tambuwal’s Seat . by Nobody: 7:17pm On Dec 01, 2014
One thing is sure for our democracy to grow the judiciary must first be firm and independent and also there must be a worthy opposition to put the ruling party in check...Loving the dramer...everybody crying fowl grin
Re: BREAKING: Court Grants PDP Leave For Motion To Vacate Speaker Tambuwal’s Seat . by sayatyadebayor(m): 7:18pm On Dec 01, 2014
naija politics now change patapata to kids game kolohun help us for 2015
Re: BREAKING: Court Grants PDP Leave For Motion To Vacate Speaker Tambuwal’s Seat . by p3ndy79: 7:19pm On Dec 01, 2014
purplesummer:

An Order of Mandamus IS NOT a writ of summons! Habba!! Where did you learn that from?

Mandamus mean " we command " can't it be literally said that the court command PDP to summon tambuwal.

Pardon my layman usage, I no go law school.
Re: BREAKING: Court Grants PDP Leave For Motion To Vacate Speaker Tambuwal’s Seat . by gratieao: 7:20pm On Dec 01, 2014
p3ndy79:

An order of mandamus is a writ of summon which command an individual or entity to carry out an instruction or action.

The judge gave an order to the PDP to summon tambuwal to come defend why he should still remain speaker since he has defected.

It is not an EvICTiON or disqualification order from being a member of the house not to talk of him stepping down as speaker.

Re: BREAKING: Court Grants PDP Leave For Motion To Vacate Speaker Tambuwal’s Seat . by p3ndy79: 7:20pm On Dec 01, 2014
SeverusSnape:

Oh!...I love that!, aye aye Captain!!!

Fair sails bro.

1 Like

Re: BREAKING: Court Grants PDP Leave For Motion To Vacate Speaker Tambuwal’s Seat . by abbakacici: 7:21pm On Dec 01, 2014
on 3rd december Nigerian will have 2 speakers. because PDP dont have the require number (240) to properly impeach and replace Tambuwal. hence
1) member of PDP especially in South east and south south will ever possible even if illegal to shows their people (constituent) that they are fighting the so called born to rule northerner moreso allowing Tambuwal as speaker will lead Islamising of Nigeria.

i) although most are useless branch wormers and corrupt, but this will improve their chance of reelection to about 80%. because their
constituent will now see as saint and crusaders against their enemies

2) PDP members in the north and south west will do anything possible ever possible even if illegal to shows to shows GEJ they are behind him

ii) This will increase their chance of winning primary election

3) APC member anything possible ever possible even if illegal to shows Nigerians that they are Fighting to improve Nigerian lives
This will increase their chance of winning re-election, for example Abdulmum Jibrin has replace Faruk lawal as the most respected rep In kano since his saga with Ngozi therefore the chnace of him winning re-election is almost certain

therefore the drama that will being happening from now to 3rd december or may be even election is just publicity stunt
Re: BREAKING: Court Grants PDP Leave For Motion To Vacate Speaker Tambuwal’s Seat . by EdDave(m): 7:22pm On Dec 01, 2014
After all is said and done, we should all realise one thing: that the law has been shoved the drain and everybody wants to be law.
Our leaders have made a mess of this country.
And all everyone thinks about is personal ambition.
May we all realise that the decisions we make and the actions we take shall live with us before visiting our children who will suffer the consequences of our recklessness and insensitivity,
And that there may be no country to live in and dream in.
Re: BREAKING: Court Grants PDP Leave For Motion To Vacate Speaker Tambuwal’s Seat . by PhockPhockMan: 7:23pm On Dec 01, 2014
Empero1:
Obviously , almost all of you above did not know the full meaning of this said court order . For one , the speaker is not yet removed from his seat , no ,and no court in the land has the power to do so because of his defection from one political party to another . The level of his popularity among his colleagues is the only thing that will always determine his fate . The court only asked him to vacate the seat on his own volition and principle ( which I am certain he's not ready to yield to ) , else his former party the PDP can decide to initiate moves to impeach him through the instrumental of 2/3 of the house members as stipulated in the constitution .

Now , the problem is that , it will be a herculean task for the PDP to secure support of 2/3 of the members of the house of representative to impeach him citing the current political atmosphere and the level of his popularity among his colleagues . Clearly , he will serve his tenure till the end of this regime , I can bet any of my valuables for this .

The constitution stance of how primus inter pares of any arm of the the house of assembles should emerged is very clear . It is he/she who secures majority votes from the members of the house that do emerge victorious as the primus inter pares , not necessary a member from the dominant political party in the house . In summary , his popularity and acceptability among his colleagues is what will keep saving him till the end .
Pocket Lawyer.

2 Likes

Re: BREAKING: Court Grants PDP Leave For Motion To Vacate Speaker Tambuwal’s Seat . by Nobody: 7:24pm On Dec 01, 2014
Empero1:
Obviously , almost all of you above did not know the full meaning of this said court order . For one , the speaker is not yet removed from his seat , no ,and no court in the land has the power to do so because of his defection from one political party to another . The level of his popularity among his colleagues is the only thing that will always determine his fate . The court only asked him to vacate the seat on his own volition and principle ( which I am certain he's not ready to yield to ) , else his former party the PDP can decide to initiate moves to impeach him through the instrumental of 2/3 of the house members as stipulated in the constitution .

Now , the problem is that , it will be a herculean task for the PDP to secure support of 2/3 of the members of the house of representative to impeach him citing the current political atmosphere and the level of his popularity among his colleagues . Clearly , he will serve his tenure till the end of this regime , I can bet any of my valuables for this .

The constitution stance of how primus inter pares of any arm of the the house of assembles should emerged is very clear . It is he/she who secures majority votes from the members of the house that do emerge victorious as the primus inter pares , not necessary a member from the dominant political party in the house . In summary , his popularity and acceptability among his colleagues is what will keep saving him till the end .

1. PDP does not need 2/3 majority to declare his seat vacant.
2. Tambuwal can not be leader of an assembly he is no longer a member of.

2 Likes

Re: BREAKING: Court Grants PDP Leave For Motion To Vacate Speaker Tambuwal’s Seat . by Nobody: 7:25pm On Dec 01, 2014
By the provisions of S. 68(1) (g) of the Constitution; Tambuwal is no longer a member of the House of Representatives. How can he be its Speaker?

p3ndy79:

There are certain judgement that a judge will not try play political sentiments with.

The constitution is clear on the modalities for defecting by a legislature, "except there is a division in the party for which he was elected in that legislative calendar"

Did the constitution states only IF there is division in national body of the party? NO
Can the division envisaged by the constitution be inclusive of state, zonal and constituency crisis within that party? MAYBE. The court will rule on that .

Remember Tambuwal's statement when he was defecting? " based on the development within my STATE.

He knew what he was saying, he is a sound lawyer.

Stop standing logic on its head. Does PDP of Sokoto state exist in isolation? Does it have its own constitution different from the PDP? There is only one PDP and the Sokoto chapter is a branch. This why the PDP constitution gives powers to the national executive to dissolve and constitute excos in a state where there is confusion. As far as heaven stands and the sun shines, the decision of the Court that PDP has no faction(s) towers above any other sentiment or reason adduced by anyone for quitting the party.

Something cannot stand on nothing. The only thing that can save Tambuwal is the effluxion of time and not legal semantics or going to fill up every available space in Hon Justice Mohamed's Court with lawyers.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: BREAKING: Court Grants PDP Leave For Motion To Vacate Speaker Tambuwal’s Seat . by purplesummer(f): 7:25pm On Dec 01, 2014
p3ndy79:

Mandamus mean " we command " can't it be literally said that the court command PDP to summon tambuwal.

Pardon my layman usage, I no go law school.
You are pardoned sir.. A writ of summons is an originating process i.e, it is used to commence an action in court. An order of mandamus proceeds from the bench(Judge) during the course of an action already pending in court, it is totally different from a writ of summons which is issued by a lawyer.

3 Likes

Re: BREAKING: Court Grants PDP Leave For Motion To Vacate Speaker Tambuwal’s Seat . by robinsoncrosoe: 7:25pm On Dec 01, 2014
THE CONVERSATION BTW ME AND ONE FOOLISH APC SUPPORTER ON FACEBOOK................One foolish apc supporter sent me a message on facebook that I should vote Gen buhari for change and we should do away with the clueless GEJ.

SO I ASKED HIM THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS
1.Which region are u from
Ans.north

2.In the history of nija which region has ruled more
Ans.north.

3.Has any person from South south become president before
Ans.no

Then I now told him....since people from the north have ruled for so long without givin others a chance,others are learning how to lead so u guys from the north must be tolerant.now a man from ss is there,the region which has been milked dry and u people from the north can't allow them lead.this shows how wicked u people are.callin a president clueless jst because he his from a minority ss shows how power drunk people from the north are.

Then I told him......GEN Buhari WILL NEVER EVER LEAD THIS COUNTRY

5 Likes

Re: BREAKING: Court Grants PDP Leave For Motion To Vacate Speaker Tambuwal’s Seat . by iykofias(m): 7:26pm On Dec 01, 2014
I really dont't kno wot is shocking wen u tel d story of this country; about it numerous resources n yet it dwelling misfortune. Or is it our president who does nothing but to punctuate a joke.
Re: BREAKING: Court Grants PDP Leave For Motion To Vacate Speaker Tambuwal’s Seat . by thiefnubu(m): 7:29pm On Dec 01, 2014
By virtue of Section 68(g) of the Nigerian constitution, tambuwal also loses his seat In the house of assembly, not only that of speaker, automatically, once he defects from the party upon which he was so elected....

PDP EVEN DEY PITY AM TO ALLOW HIM STILL PARADE HIMSELF AS SPEAKER... THEY DONT EVEN NEED A COURT ORDER TO BAR HIM FROM THE HOUSE OF REPS PREMISES....

By virtue of the Constitution's Supremacy clause, (section 1(3) of the Constitution), read in conjunction with Section 68(g), Alhaji Tambuwal has no locus standi to even approach the court to obtain any relief in regard to legislative house matters

2 Likes

Re: BREAKING: Court Grants PDP Leave For Motion To Vacate Speaker Tambuwal’s Seat . by p3ndy79: 7:32pm On Dec 01, 2014
purplesummer:

You are pardoned sir.. A writ of summons is an originating process i.e, it is used to commence an action in court. An order of mandamus proceeds from the bench(Judge) during the course of an action already pending in court, it is totally different from a writ of summons which is issued by a lawyer.

Which ever the case, it is an order asking PDP to do the needful by making him appear in court not a declaration that he is no longer the speaker as being celebrated by some posters on the thread.

The rest wey you talk na legal mumbo jumbo.

Lolz......
Re: BREAKING: Court Grants PDP Leave For Motion To Vacate Speaker Tambuwal’s Seat . by Pecca: 7:33pm On Dec 01, 2014
p3ndy79:

An order of mandamus is a writ of summon which command an individual or entity to carry out an instruction or action.

and you think that termbulwag did not knw that the game's up before withdrawing his case against the IGP. he thought that pdp would be foolish enough to want to impeach him on the flr of the house. but the NAYS have it. pdp just played one of the four aces...the other three still de for wadata house.

2 Likes

Re: BREAKING: Court Grants PDP Leave For Motion To Vacate Speaker Tambuwal’s Seat . by Nobody: 7:34pm On Dec 01, 2014
p3ndy79:

There are certain judgement that a judge will not try play political sentiments with.

The constitution is clear on the modalities for defecting by a legislature, "except there is a division in the party for which he was elected in that legislative calendar"

Did the constitution states only IF there is division in national body of the party? NO
Can the division envisaged by the constitution be inclusive of state, zonal and constituency crisis within that party? MAYBE. The court will rule on that .

Remember Tambuwal's statement when he was defecting? " based on the development within my STATE.

He knew what he was saying, he is a sound lawyer.

as sound as he may think he is he can not invent a crisis in his bedroom to cling to power

The court in the next few weeks will define what amounts to division within a party and whether INEC as the recognised umpire has to have details of this so called division, or whether the procedure for alerting INEC of this division runs through the PDP National secretariat?

what constitutes a division?

If Tambuwal refuses to say hello to the PDP chairman in his state does that classify or qualify as a division or do we expect something more documented and formal than that? This is what we will find out.

All in all, Tambuwal's journey into the wilderness just began today. No be naija we dey? Shebi he wanted to run for President and his APC asked him to go and sit down.

2 Likes

Re: BREAKING: Court Grants PDP Leave For Motion To Vacate Speaker Tambuwal’s Seat . by onoja12: 7:39pm On Dec 01, 2014
who gives a fu ck whats some white man thinks,abeg slave mentality white men don't define us,probably they define you

donroxy:
Personal interest over societal interest is the bane of Nigerian Development ... Our Politicians playsPolitics like WHOT or LUDO !
Tambuwal knew his decision to defect @that point in time will surely cause commotion in the house while IGP knew hindering Honorables from their chamber will surely caused commotion ....

Both men still went ahead to humiliate this country by climbing gate and teargasin one another ....

I wonder what the europeans/westerners think of Black African leaders in this century of civilisation .... No wonder some Nigerian In Diaspora were usually asked whether those @home are living on trees !
Re: BREAKING: Court Grants PDP Leave For Motion To Vacate Speaker Tambuwal’s Seat . by purplesummer(f): 7:42pm On Dec 01, 2014
p3ndy79:

Which ever the case, it is an order asking PDP to do the needful by making him appear in court not a declaration that he is no longer the speaker as being celebrated by some posters on the thread.

The rest wey you talk na legal mumbo jumbo.

Lolz......
Lols. It's ok. But the thing is, such order of mandamus has not even been made. PDP only obtained the leave of court to be able to bring the application wherein they would ask for an order of mandamus to be made against Aminu Tambuwal. The court also reserves the discretion to grant or refuse such application when eventually brought.
Re: BREAKING: Court Grants PDP Leave For Motion To Vacate Speaker Tambuwal’s Seat . by Nobody: 7:42pm On Dec 01, 2014
good, the constitution must hold.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Boko Haram Camps “Wiped Out” – Nigerian Military / Shehu Sani Reacts To Atiku's Resignation, Warns Buhari "Beware Of The Cabal" / Okorocha Builds N48m Skill Acquisition Centre At Karamajiji In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.