Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,331 members, 7,811,968 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:05 AM

Nigeria Lost Out As Miss South Africa Wins Miss World 2014 Pageant (Photos) - Fashion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Nigeria Lost Out As Miss South Africa Wins Miss World 2014 Pageant (Photos) (48039 Views)

Miss Ghana And Miss Nigeria Outfits For Miss Universe Pageant (Photos) / Mosunmola Oladipo Wins Miss Virgin In Lagos 2015 / Frances Udukwu Wins Miss Nigeria-USA Pageant (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Lost Out As Miss South Africa Wins Miss World 2014 Pageant (Photos) by kwametut: 3:37pm On Dec 15, 2014
Mikro
We know its Nigerian mentality to go low cheap blows. Jealousy is killing you guys... grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria Lost Out As Miss South Africa Wins Miss World 2014 Pageant (Photos) by Aida13: 5:12pm On Dec 15, 2014
GoodGirl2:
Good point and by all means let them fell good about themselves, but while at it, other people shouldn't be made to feel bad about themselves either, just because one group wants to attain some self-confidence.
In fact, EVERYBODY should be made to feel good about themselves. If you had 4 daughters; 2 dark-skinned and 2 light-skinned, it will be YOUR responsibility to nurture the esteem of THE 4 OF THEM. Or will you take sides? What will you tell your daughter who comes home to tell you that she's been labelled an "albino" because she's light-skinned? Will you stand up for her?

I still think people can feel good about themselves without putting down other people who don't look like them. That's my point.

By the way I'm Libran, hence my inclination towards justice and balance. Like my fellow Librans, I abhor double standards. wink

I totally understand. About the double standards. You're right of course, in the context that when it comes to beauty contests, both light and dark skinned queens should be regarded equally. I remember the likes of Bianca Onoh: she was fair but had those striking features that made her stand out. I only noted a trend that I felt should be brought to light; how judges at world-stage beauty contests seem to favor dark skinned reps from Africa. I might be wrong.

As it is, when a "White" person talks of suffering any kind of 'racism' we just laugh grin grin because the word 'racism' was possibly developed with black people in mind so it's funny when some white folks talk about racist stuff against them. The same goes for light skinned grin grin They simply haven't yet faced the level of 'injustice' that their dark-skinned counterparts have. Especially in the fashion world where its hard to see a 'colored' face on magazine covers and runways, while the mulatto types get all the attention (Tyra Banks types lol)

In any case, I'm not for or against light or dark, just saying that when it comes to at least getting into the top 10, 20 or even 50 in world beauty pageants, we'd probably fare better showcasing a top-notch dark-skinned contestant. I hope we can agree to disagree at this point wink grin
Re: Nigeria Lost Out As Miss South Africa Wins Miss World 2014 Pageant (Photos) by Nobody: 5:25pm On Dec 15, 2014
Aida13:

I totally understand. About the double standards. You're right of course, in the context that when it comes to beauty contests, both light and dark skinned queens should be regarded equally. I remember the likes of Bianca Onoh: she was fair but had those striking features that made her stand out. I only noted a trend that I felt should be brought to light; how judges at world-stage beauty contests seem to favor dark skinned reps from Africa. I might be wrong.

As it is, when a "White" person talks of suffering any kind of 'racism' we just laugh grin grin because the word 'racism' was possibly developed with black people in mind so it's funny when some white folks talk about racist stuff against them. The same goes for light skinned grin grin They simply haven't yet faced the level of 'injustice' that their dark-skinned counterparts have. Especially in the fashion world where its hard to see a 'colored' face on magazine covers and runways, while the mulatto types get all the attention (Tyra Banks types lol)

In any case, I'm not for or against light or dark, just saying that when it comes to at least getting into the top 10, 20 or even 50 in world beauty pageants, we'd probably fare better showcasing a top-notch dark-skinned contestant. I hope we can agree to disagree at this point wink grin
Actually I AGREE with most of this. wink

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Why Do Nigerian Adults See Having A "Nice Haircut" As Being Rascally? / Skin Care Tips For An Oily Face / Man Takes A Swipe At Nigerian Ladies With "Fake" Hairs In A German Market. PICS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.