Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,839 members, 7,831,720 topics. Date: Saturday, 18 May 2024 at 03:56 AM

My Thoughts And Questions About Religion - Religion (103) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / My Thoughts And Questions About Religion (231612 Views)

Questions About Religion For The Deep Thinker / Why Are Atheists Always Talking About Religion / Questions About Demon Possession - Nairaland Demonology Experts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (100) (101) (102) (103) (104) (105) (106) ... (130) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by aytuns(m): 11:16am On May 20, 2019
ATHEISTS, AGNOSTICS... weird and funny people.

well I believe in God, I believe in Jesus Christ, I believe in the Holy Spirit, and I believe in my Bible..

Maybe blindly, but it's all I've got to try understand the reason for my being here on earth.

say all you will, but the bible alone gives the best reason for human existence, the Big Bang Theory, the Evolution theory still cannot account for how I'm alive, nor do they account for my ability to think, make decisions, for ability to speak, how I'm not an animal, how I'm not a plant, the different races that exists on earth and many other profound questions that further proves the existence of a supreme being, the almighty God who created the world and all things for His pleasure.

Wake up in the morning and look in the mirror, the image you see was not be accident, but by design.. why aren't you nose in a different place or your mouth constructed differently, what of those of the animals, or plants? why does the earth posses so much mineral, have the ability to hold crops and buildings. what is holding/supporting the earth?

science has taken us beyond the skies which is fantastic, and we've realized that the earth and bother planets are held in place by the gravitational pull of the sun, yet what holds the sun? how did other planets and universe come to be...

who created the universe, who created the planets, who created animals, who created plants, who created man, who gave us life, who gave us the ability we have to dominate over other creations.?.

GOD.. GOD ALONE.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by LordReed(m): 11:33am On May 20, 2019
aytuns:

well I believe in God, I believe in Jesus Christ, I believe in the Holy Spirit, and I believe in my Bible..

Maybe blindly, but it's all I've got to try understand the reason for my being here on earth.

say all you will, but the bible alone gives the best reason for human existence, the Big Bang Theory, the Evolution theory still cannot account for how I'm alive, nor do they account for my ability to think, make decisions, for ability to speak, how I'm not an animal, how I'm not a plant, the different races that exists on earth and many other profound questions that further proves the existence of a supreme being, the almighty God who created the world and all things for His pleasure.

Wake up in the morning and look in the mirror, the image you see was not be accident, but by design.. why aren't you nose in a different place or your mouth constructed differently, what of those of the animals, or plants? why does the earth posses so much mineral, have the ability to hold crops and buildings. what is holding/supporting the earth?

science has taken us beyond the skies which is fantastic, and we've realized that the earth and bother planets are held in place by the gravitational pull of the sun, yet what holds the sun? how did other planets and universe come to be...

who created the universe, who created the planets, who created animals, who created plants, who created man, who gave us life, who gave us the ability we have to dominate over other creations.?.

GOD.. GOD ALONE.

God of the gaps. Your god always retreats with the acquisition of scientific knowledge, what a sham.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by aytuns(m): 4:17pm On May 20, 2019
LordReed:

God of the gaps. Your god always retreats with the acquisition of scientific knowledge, what a sham.

please explain this retreat tactic you are proposing. cos I instead see it as a wonderful thing that humans are constantly on the quest to unveil the marvelous creation of God. Everyday something new is being found, some new discovery come up, meaning there are still tonnes of trillion things out there that God has created only waiting to be discovered.

If Ben Carson was able to discover the hand work of God in His field of Neurosurgery, I think every human with working sensory organs can vividly see, feel, taste, hear and feel the handwritings of God in the world we live in. Once again, look in the mirror, and appreciate that wonderful designer.

it's impossible to miss.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by LordReed(m): 5:32pm On May 20, 2019
aytuns:

please explain this retreat tactic you are proposing. cos I instead see it as a wonderful thing that humans are constantly on the quest to unveil the marvelous creation of God. Everyday something new is being found, some new discovery come up, meaning there are still tonnes of trillion things out there that God has created only waiting to be discovered.

If Ben Carson was able to discover the hand work of God in His field of Neurosurgery, I think every human with working sensory organs can vividly see, feel, taste, hear and feel the handwritings of God in the world we live in. Once again, look in the mirror, and appreciate that wonderful designer.

it's impossible to miss.

And what makes you think all the things you see and feel are from the god? If you see a BMW and feel it is a Benz does it make it a Benz? Feelings are not a reliable method of determining what is true.

As for the god of the gaps phenomena, god believers always push god past the current limits scientific knowledge. When we couldn't fly god was in the skies then we got there and they say the god is in space. We get to space then they say the god is beyond space and time. Your god is never able to be reached by any conventional means and when asked repeatedly how we can know this god exists, you guys are unable to offer up anything more than feelings or faith.

2 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 7:36pm On May 20, 2019
"The Jehovah Witnesses’ apocalypticism is undimmed, as any glance at their publications will show, but since 1925 there has been no further authoritative date setting [of the second coming of Christ].

There have been excitements around other dates, in particular 1975, which some of the Society’s directors apparently endorsed. Yet in 1976, the Society’s vice president could confidently reproach an assembly of Canadian Witnesses: “Do you know why nothing happened in 1975? It was because you expected something to happen.”

For most of the twentieth century, the Society simply held tight to 1914, declaring week by week in its main magazine that the new world would dawn “before the generation that saw the events of 1914 passes away.” In 1995, this increasingly implausible claim, too, was redefined, explaining that “generation” was a spiritual rather than a literal term.

The Witnesses’ global growth is built not on their apocalyptic hope but on the abrupt, disconcerting separatism of their lives in the present. Rutherford continued Russell’s pattern of distancing the Witnesses symbolically from Christian norms, for example by insisting that Christ was impaled rather than dying on something so popish as a cross.

For this, other Christians have duly reviled them, but the real hatred has come from governments. The most extreme example, their fate in Nazi Germany, we will return to. Nowhere else have they faced actual extermination, but during World War II they were subject to state bans in much of the British Empire and were more likely to be imprisoned than any other religious conscientious objectors in the United States.

The Witnesses’ refusal to salute flags or stand for national anthems led to their children’s being expelled from some American schools. In all of these countries, with grim irony, the Witnesses were accused of Nazi sympathies. Since 1945, their sharpest trials have been in one-party states. Malawi banned the Society in 1967 after Witnesses refused to join the ruling party, and over twenty thousand were expelled to brutal camp conditions in Zambia in 1972. Some eventually ended up in Mozambique, where after 1975 some seven thousand Witnesses were interned in Communist reeducation camps.

The Witnesses’ best-known ethical stance, the rejection of blood transfusions, is characteristic. Russell, citing Acts 15:20, argued that it was wrong to eat meat in which blood remained. In 1945, Rutherford ruled that this prohibition extended to blood transfusions.

No other religious group of any kind has found this argument persuasive, and it is an odd fit in an organization that has no general aversion to modernity or to science. Its value, apparently, lies in compelling Witnesses to assert a highly visible difference that challenges social notions of religious tolerance.

It is not easy for outsiders to love the Witnesses. They have endured appalling persecution with astonishing stoicism, but facing and even courting persecution are part of their identity.

Their steady growth—they currently number some eight million active members worldwide—can easily be ascribed to their missionary barrage and to their formidable system of control rather than to any real attraction offered by their faith. There is a large constituency of ex-Witnesses with little good to say about the Society. The Society has no culture of intellectual openness or of scholarship and does not reply to critics.

Yet there is more to the Witnesses than hostile caricature admits. Their determined internationalism and disregard for racial differences have made them—along with the Seventh-day Adventists—among America’s most racially integrated religious groups. They are capable of winning real respect from their neighbors, especially in tough social environments.

When other churches have reputations for clericalism, hypocrisy, or financial corruption, the Witnesses can justly boast that they have no paid ministers, take no collections, and maintain strict moral discipline. The rigorous training that all Witnesses undertake, from carefully directed study of texts to sharing in leadership, can be as rewarding as it is demanding.

Outsiders need not admire the Society, but they should try not to hate it, not least because hatred is one of the fuels on which it thrives. Neither Witnesses nor mainstream Protestants like to admit it, but they belong to the same extended family."

~ Alec Ryrie's "Protestants: The Faith That Made the Modern World"

4 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by aytuns(m): 8:07pm On May 20, 2019
LordReed:

And what makes you think all the things you see and feel are from the god? If you see a BMW and feel it is a Benz does it make it a Benz? Feelings are not a reliable method of determining what is true.

As for the god of the gaps phenomena, god believers always push god past the current limits scientific knowledge. When we couldn't fly god was in the skies then we got there and they say the god is in space. We get to space then they say the god is beyond space and time. Your god is never able to be reached by any conventional means and when asked repeatedly how we can know this god exists, you guys are unable to offer up anything more than feelings or faith.

and who gave humans the ability to reason? why not animals... why can't they be the ones to make researches? why not plants? what's the origin of the human race? who gave us the ability to go beyond our comfort zones and experiment, research and improve our ways of thinking?

and to correct you, God is everywhere. He is in n the skies and on the earth, he is in the seas and our entire solar system.. His greatness and grandeur is too great for humans to qualify nor quantify... that's why Moses who spent just 40 days in his presence (not seeing Him though) has to use a veil to cover his face when he returned to camp of Israel.. in fact when Moses asked God to allow him see Him, God expressly to Moses, He will die.. cos no Human can behold the presence of God and live.. Moses was only privileged to see God's shadow.

so your claim of searching for God is false already.

GOD is already here with us, and His presence is everywhere, in all we do, that's why there's nothing you do that is hidden from Him, and on the Judgement day, we all will account for all we've done here on earth. both good and bad.

So if you want to see him, then live a righteous life here on earth and make Heaven. There you'll get to see and be with Him for Eternity.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by LordReed(m): 8:44pm On May 20, 2019
aytuns:

and who gave humans the ability to reason? why not animals... why can't they be the ones to make researches? why not plants? what's the origin of the human race? who gave us the ability to go beyond our comfort zones and experiment, research and improve our ways of thinking?

and to correct you, God is everywhere. He is in n the skies and on the earth, he is in the seas and our entire solar system.. His greatness and grandeur is too great for humans to qualify nor quantify... that's why Moses who spent just 40 days in his presence (not seeing Him though) has to use a veil to cover his face when he returned to camp of Israel.. in fact when Moses asked God to allow him see Him, God expressly to Moses, He will die.. cos no Human can behold the presence of God and live.. Moses was only privileged to see God's shadow.

so your claim of searching for God is false already.

GOD is already here with us, and His presence is everywhere, in all we do, that's why there's nothing you do that is hidden from Him, and on the Judgement day, we all will account for all we've done here on earth. both good and bad.

So if you want to see him, then live a righteous life here on earth and make Heaven. There you'll get to see and be with Him for Eternity.

Unverifable tales of burning bushes and talking snakes is hardly evidence of anything. Or else every fantastical tale we've ever heard from talking wise tortoise to Alibaba and the 40 thieves will become evidence.

All your argument amounts to is "I don't know, therefore god".

I will live a good life not because of a god and I highly doubt there's any heaven or eternity because for one there is no proof of such things.

2 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by aytuns(m): 12:02am On May 21, 2019
LordReed:

Unverifable tales of burning bushes and talking snakes is hardly evidence of anything. Or else every fantastical tale we've ever heard from talking wise tortoise to Alibaba and the 40 thieves will become evidence.

All your argument amounts to is "I don't know, therefore god".

I will live a good life not because of a god and I highly doubt there's any heaven or eternity because for one there is no proof of such things.

well there is proof of Heaven and Hell.. read your Bible.

Tales (as you call them) from the bible have been verified over and over again, google will help you out .

your doubt of God's existence doesn't, and cannot negate His existence, neither will it add a single benefit to God himself, rather it will bring peace to you to acknowledge His existence and wonders in your life.

psalm 14:1-2
The fool says in his heart, “There is no God.”
They are corrupt, they do abominable deeds;
there is none who does good.
The LORD looks down from heaven on the children of man,
to see if there are any who understands,
who seek after God...

like I've said... your decision to deny Gods existence doesn't negate His existence, instead it reinforces it, because while you'll keep look for every means to discredit His works, your very existence, the fact that you can reply via mobile/pc is already a vivid example and enough proof to validate God's works and existence.

Good night sir. have a wonderful night rest.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Nobody: 2:10am On May 21, 2019
LordReed:

This is a joke right? It is like saying there's no compelling evidence for light. Light and all wireless technology utilize the electromagnetic spectrum, all of them are testable, repeatable and measurable. Can we get same for "spiritual"?
The spiritual is faith and uprightness based, can we measure faith or uprightness reliably? No.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by visita: 7:09am On May 21, 2019
aytuns:

GOD.. GOD ALONE.
Look at how you're contradicting yourself, you're not an animal but you exhibit all the characteristics of an animal. If you say you're not an animal or a plant, then what are you? Monera or Protoctista?

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by LordReed(m): 8:10am On May 21, 2019
CodeSapien:
The spiritual is faith and uprightness based, can we measure faith or uprightness reliably? No.

Thank you for admitting that.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by LordReed(m): 9:05am On May 21, 2019
aytuns:

Tales (as you call them) from the bible have been verified over and over again, google will help you out .

your doubt of God's existence doesn't, and cannot negate His existence, neither will it add a single benefit to God himself, rather it will bring peace to you to acknowledge His existence and wonders in your life.

The LORD looks down from heaven on the children of man,
to see if there are any who understands,
who seek after God...

like I've said... your decision to deny Gods existence doesn't negate His existence, instead it reinforces it, because while you'll keep look for every means to discredit His works, your very existence, the fact that you can reply via mobile/pc is already a vivid example and enough proof to validate God's works and existence.

The bible is not evidence, it is full of fantastical claims that have not 1 single evidence. A 6 day creation? None. Noah's flood? None. Noah's ark? None. Sun standing still? None. You are not the first to ask me to Google it. Sure Google has been a good friend and shown me that all the claims of finding evidence of Noah's ark and Goliath's bones are all false.

I don't deny the existence of the god, I just don't have any evidence upon which I can accept that such a being exists.

It was not the god that made the technology we use so it is not evidence for the god either.

Have a good day.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by aytuns(m): 9:11am On May 21, 2019
visita:
Look at how you're contradicting yourself, you're not an animal but you exhibit all the characteristics of an animal. If you say you're not an animal or a plant, then what are you? Monera or Protoctista?

Lol... I understand you'll find every means to pick at my words... but in doing so, PLEASE DON'T equate yourself to a dog, a goat, a cow, a chicken even an ape or a gorilla..

I'm very sure you understand what I mean in all my responses. because you are a human, a higher being God has created to dominate over all creatures. If science classifies humans in the Animal kingdom, it doesn't mean we are of the animal level. No wonder it's even insulting to term someone "an animal"
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by TVSA: 9:19am On May 21, 2019
in 2019, some people are still arguing basic biology

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by aytuns(m): 9:20am On May 21, 2019
LordReed:

The bible is not evidence, it is full of fantastical claims that have not 1 single evidence. A 6 day creation? None. Noah's flood? None. Noah's ark? None. Sun standing still? None. You are not the first to ask me to Google it. Sure Google has been a good friend and shown me that all the claims of finding evidence of Noah's ark and Goliath's bones are all false.

I don't deny the existence of the god, I just don't have any evidence upon which I can accept that such a being exists.

It was not the god that made the technology we use so it is not evidence for the god either.

Have a good day.

you don't deny His existence yet you seek further evidence to prove His existence? Who gave humans the ability to think and develop new technologies? Who told the fish remain in water and gave them capabilities to breath in water? who gave birds wings for flight and abilities to fly? who made the different species of animals we have today and many still undiscovered?

Don't be in denial. He is real whether you accept Him or not. and all evidences you need are already available. I'll say again, just look in the mirror, and appreciate the handwork or the great designer.

Have a wonderful day ahead.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by LordReed(m): 9:36am On May 21, 2019
aytuns:

you don't deny His existence yet you seek further evidence to prove His existence? Don't be in denial. He is real whether you accept Him or not. and all evidences you need are already available. I'll say again, just look in the mirror, and appreciate the handwork or the great designer.

I ask for evidence because people like you continue to assert the existence of a god, even though after centuries of believing, you still can't show anything substantial as proof of your assertions. I have the same attitude to people who believe aliens have visited us or that bigfoot exists.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by LordReed(m): 9:43am On May 21, 2019
aytuns:

Lol... I understand you'll find every means to pick at my words... but in doing so, PLEASE DON'T equate yourself to a dog, a goat, a cow, a chicken even an ape or a gorilla..

I'm very sure you understand what I mean in all my responses. because you are a human, a higher being God has created to dominate over all creatures. If science classifies humans in the Animal kingdom, it doesn't mean we are of the animal level. No wonder it's even insulting to term someone "an animal"

You are so high that the differnce in DNA between you and a chimpanzee is 1%. You are so high that animals are superior to you in almost every physical category, they can have better eyesight, they can be stronger, have more endurance, bigger joysticks, longer orgasms, longer life spans, etc.

The one thing that puts you ahead is your increased capacity for cogitation and that has made you conceited into thinking the universe was made for you. Such conceit.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by visita: 10:48am On May 21, 2019
One quick question: Is Whale a fish? Where does it live?
aytuns:

you don't deny His existence yet you seek further evidence to prove His existence? Who gave humans the ability to think and develop new technologies? Who told the fish remain in water and gave them capabilities to breath in water? who gave birds wings for flight and abilities to fly? who made the different species of animals we have today and many still undiscovered?

Don't be in denial. He is real whether you accept Him or not. and all evidences you need are already available. I'll say again, just look in the mirror, and appreciate the handwork or the great designer.

Have a wonderful day ahead.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by CAPSLOCKED: 7:48pm On May 21, 2019
aytuns:
THEISTS, CLOWNS. TERRIBLE ILLOGICAL PEOPLE.

THAT'S NOT A PROBLEM IF YOU'RE NOT WAVING THE FLAGS ON MY WAY.

THAT IS EXACTLY BECAUSE YOU WERE RAISED RELIGIOUS.

say all you will, but the bible alone gives the best reason for human existence,
THE BEST WHAT?
ADAM, EVE, AND THREE SONS, WHO ARE ALL FROM THE MIDDLE EAST... BIRTHED THE ENTIRE HUMAN RACE?
OH... I FORGOT ABOUT NOAH'S FAMILY BANGING EACHOTHER TO PRODUCE YOUR AFRICAN ANCESTORS.

the Big Bang Theory, the Evolution theory still cannot account for how I'm alive, nor do they account for my ability to think, make decisions, for ability to speak, how I'm not an animal, how I'm not a plant,
SIMPLY BIOLOGY SIR. YOU'RE CLASSIFIED AS AN ANIMAL. LOL.

the different races that exists on earth and many other profound questions that further proves the existence of a supreme being, the almighty God who created the world and all things for His pleasure.
EXACTLY SOMETHING A PERSON BROUGHT UP BY RELIGIOUS PARENTS WOULD SAY.

Wake up in the morning and look in the mirror, the image you see was not be accident, but by design.. why aren't you nose in a different place or your mouth constructed differently,
IF WE HAD NOSES ON OUR FOREHEADS YOU'D STILL SAY WE'RE GOD'S PERFECT WORK.

THIS IS THE KIND OF THINGS AN IGNORANT, UNINFORMED RELIGIOUS PERSON WOULD SAY. FOR YOUR INFORMATION, THE HUMAN BODY IS ONE OF THE MOST IMPERFECT THINGS IN EXISTENCE. BUT YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU DON'T KNOW BECAUSE YOU DON'T KNOW AND CANNOT KNOW BECAUSE YOU ONLY WANT TO BELIEVE WHAT YOU WERE TAUGHT TO BELIEVE BY YOUR RELIGIOUS FAMILY AND FRIENDS.

what of those of the animals, or plants? why does the earth posses so much mineral, have the ability to hold crops and buildings. what is holding/supporting the earth?
QUESTIONS OF A REALLY SLOW ILLITERATE MAN.
ASSUMING THERE'S SOMETHING HOLDING THE EARTH, THEN IT MUST BE YOUR GOD?
NOT MY OWN GOD OR THE GREEK GODS, BUT YOUR OWN GOD?
HA.

YOU ALREADY REJECTED ALL THE SCIENTIFIC THEORIES FOR THESE QUESTIONS, SO IT'S CLEAR YOU DON'T NEED ANSWERS BECAUSE "GODDIDIT!"

GOD.. GOD ALONE.
WHICH ONE??

4 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by CAPSLOCKED: 8:00pm On May 21, 2019
aytuns:

WELL THERE IS PROOF FOR SPIDER MAN AND SANDMAN. READ YOUR MARVEL BOOKS.

GOOGLE VERIFIED A TALKING SNAKE? OR THAT WE'RE DESCENDANTS OF THREE MEN?

your doubt of God's existence doesn't, and cannot negate His existence,
BECAUSE HE DOESN'T EXIST. IF HE DOES, WE WILL KNOW THIS JUST LIKE WE KNOW THE SUN SHINES.

neither will it add a single benefit to God himself, rather it will bring peace to you to acknowledge His existence and wonders in your life.
WITH ALL YOUR RELIGION YOU'RE NOT BETTER THAN ME WHEN IT COMES TO PEACE AND ENJOYMENT OF THE EARTH. LIFE BEATS US BOTH BLACK AND BLUE.

A FOOL SAYS IT EVERYWHERE, "THERE'S GOD", AND THEN GOES ON TO COMMIT ABOMINATIONS AND ATROCITIES.

your very existence, the fact that you can reply via mobile/pc is already a vivid example and enough proof to validate God's works and existence.
THIS PERSON IS MENTAL. cheesy

WE'RE NOT DONE WITH YOU. COME BACK! cheesy

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by CAPSLOCKED: 8:06pm On May 21, 2019
LordReed:

You are so high that the differnce in DNA between you and a chimpanzee is 1%. You are so high that animals are superior to you in almost every physical category, they can have better eyesight, they can be stronger, have more endurance, bigger joysticks, longer orgasms, longer life spans, etc.

The one thing that puts you ahead is your increased capacity for cogitation and that has made you conceited into thinking the universe was made for you. Such conceit.

EARTH WAS BUILT FOR US BY GOD, IS A STATEMENT FROM THESE FOOLISH PEOPLE.

THIS PLANET IS NOT OURS.
70% WATER AND WE CANNOT BREATHE UNDERWATER?
30% LAND THAT IS MOSTLY INHABITABLE?
VOLCANOES? TSUNAMIS AND EARTHQUAKES?
TOXIC PLANTS, WILD ANIMALS AND POISONOUS REPTILES.. ALL LOOKING TO KILL US.

I LIKE TO THINK WE'RE HERE BY MISTAKE BECAUSE NOTHING ABOUT THIS EARTH IS IN OUR FAVOR.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by LordReed(m): 8:55pm On May 21, 2019
CAPSLOCKED:

EARTH WAS BUILT FOR US BY GOD, IS A STATEMENT FROM THESE FOOLISH PEOPLE.

THIS PLANET IS NOT OURS.
70% WATER AND WE CANNOT BREATHE UNDERWATER?
30% LAND THAT IS MOSTLY INHABITABLE?
VOLCANOES? TSUNAMIS AND EARTHQUAKES?
TOXIC PLANTS, WILD ANIMALS AND POISONOUS REPTILES.. ALL LOOKING TO KILL US.

I LIKE TO THINK WE'RE HERE BY MISTAKE BECAUSE NOTHING ABOUT THIS EARTH IS IN OUR FAVOR.

That's swinging to the other extreme. We developed on this planet so while every part of it may not be habitable, we have been shaped to fit the part that is habitable by us.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 7:02am On May 22, 2019
"Enslavement is almost ubiquitous in human history. What made Atlantic slavery unique was its vast, industrial scale, its racial determinism, and its absolute nature, in which slaves’ legal status was hardly distinct from that of animals.

One of the few good things to have emerged from it is the modern conviction that slavery in any form is unacceptable. That judgment would have seemed almost incomprehensible to most of our premodern forebears.

Slavery was often compared to poverty: an inescapable fact of life, which individuals might escape but which could hardly be abolished. What better alternative was there for the destitute, prisoners of war, or conquered peoples?

Even now, when slavery is formally illegal throughout the world, tens of millions of people endure some form of it. One of the things that human beings do is enslave other human beings.

The Bible is full of both matter-of-fact references to enslavement and regulations governing slavery. Christianity was formed in the Roman Empire, one of the most slave-based societies ever seen. The early Christians’ response to this situation was characteristically spiritualizing and nonconfrontational.

They insisted on the spiritual equality of all believers. St. Paul taught that in Christ the distinction between slave and free vanishes, and he spoke of being freed from spiritual enslavement.

But this led him and others to conclude that physical slavery was of little consequence and that Christian slaves ought humbly to submit to the masters whom God has providentially given them. Indeed, Paul once sent a Christian runaway slave back to his Christian master, urging the master to receive and forgive the slave as a brother in Christ, but not suggesting that the man be freed.

In ancient times, for individual Christians to free their slaves was seen as a work of exceptional piety, but there was no shame in not doing so. Nor were Christian slave masters always models of loving kindness: so we learn from a fifth-century bronze neck collar unearthed in Sardinia, stamped with the words “I am the slave of archdeacon Felix: hold me so that I do not flee.”"

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by LordReed(m): 7:24am On May 22, 2019
joseph1013:
"Enslavement is almost ubiquitous in human history. What made Atlantic slavery unique was its vast, industrial scale, its racial determinism, and its absolute nature, in which slaves’ legal status was hardly distinct from that of animals.

One of the few good things to have emerged from it is the modern conviction that slavery in any form is unacceptable. That judgment would have seemed almost incomprehensible to most of our premodern forebears.

Slavery was often compared to poverty: an inescapable fact of life, which individuals might escape but which could hardly be abolished. What better alternative was there for the destitute, prisoners of war, or conquered peoples?

Even now, when slavery is formally illegal throughout the world, tens of millions of people endure some form of it. One of the things that human beings do is enslave other human beings.

The Bible is full of both matter-of-fact references to enslavement and regulations governing slavery. Christianity was formed in the Roman Empire, one of the most slave-based societies ever seen. The early Christians’ response to this situation was characteristically spiritualizing and nonconfrontational.

They insisted on the spiritual equality of all believers. St. Paul taught that in Christ the distinction between slave and free vanishes, and he spoke of being freed from spiritual enslavement.

But this led him and others to conclude that physical slavery was of little consequence and that Christian slaves ought humbly to submit to the masters whom God has providentially given them. Indeed, Paul once sent a Christian runaway slave back to his Christian master, urging the master to receive and forgive the slave as a brother in Christ, but not suggesting that the man be freed.

In ancient times, for individual Christians to free their slaves was seen as a work of exceptional piety, but there was no shame in not doing so. Nor were Christian slave masters always models of loving kindness: so we learn from a fifth-century bronze neck collar unearthed in Sardinia, stamped with the words “I am the slave of archdeacon Felix: hold me so that I do not flee.”"

One excuse I see from Christians on why the god did not abolish slavery in the commandments given to the Israelites is "what would they have done with all their enemies?". So you mean your all wise, all powerful god could think of no other way to solve this issue? You mean men thousands of years later are better at providing solutions to such issues than your all wise god? Wow.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 3:15pm On May 22, 2019
LordReed:

One excuse I see from Christians on why the god did not abolish slavery in the commandments given to the Israelites is "what would they have done with all their enemies?". So you mean your all wise, all powerful god could think of no other way to solve this issue? You mean men thousands of years later are better at providing solutions to such issues than your all wise god? Wow.

Religious beliefs are malleable. Excuses are a dime a dozen, even for the all-knowing God.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 7:27am On May 23, 2019
"The slavers also had a compelling biblical case. The Bible never condemns slavery and implicitly condones it.

Where abolitionists appealed to Jesus' Golden Rule, “do unto others as you would have them do unto you,” their opponents impatiently explained that this meant treating others as you would wish to be treated in their situation: a father may still treat a child as a child, and a master may treat a slave as a slave.

Where abolitionists condemned the reduction of human beings to property, slavery’s defenders agreed. Slaves were not property but a sacred trust, people over whom their owners had certain (rather extensive) rights, and for whom they had equally extensive responsibilities.

Slave and slaveholder were bound together in a Christian household. If Abraham had bought slaves, if Paul had sent a runaway slave home, if Christ himself had never spoken a word against slavery, who were these upstart prophets to proclaim a new abolitionist gospel of their own invention?"

2 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 10:13am On May 24, 2019
"Alongside mysticism, by the early seventeenth century establishment Protestantism was in full-scale moral panic about atheism, a bogeyman that the panic helped to conjure into reality. It was not long before thinkers like Thomas Hobbes and Baruch Spinoza began to earn the label. Neither was an atheist in the modern sense, but both had gone a long way from any established orthodoxy.

The burgeoning revolution in natural science was questioning conventional Christian metaphysics and subjecting received authorities of all kinds to experimental testing, putting Protestant orthodoxy’s weak points under pressure.

The doctrine of the Trinity began to seem like an overelaborate mathematical theorem that ought to be replaced with something more elegant. The English mystic and scientist Isaac Newton abandoned his belief in the Trinity in the 1670s.

Newton also, in his famous laws of motion, provided ballast for a rising skeptical philosophy widely seen as tantamount to atheism: deism, the belief that God exists but does not interfere with his creation beyond providing it with inexorable natural laws. Protestants had traditionally taught a doctrine of special providence, in which God is the direct cause of every worldly event. Deism is less a passionate love affair with God than a dignified arranged marriage.

An additional point of vulnerability was Protestantism’s weapon of choice, the Bible itself. Minor niggles about its text kept appearing. The Hebrew language indicates vowels with inflection marks instead of actual letters. It now appeared that the inflection marks in the Old Testament were of relatively recent origin. Were they part of inspired Scripture or not?

In the New Testament, variant versions of some passages were being discovered in ancient manuscripts. Which were the right ones? In its traditional form, 1 John 5:7 declares that “there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word and the Holy Ghost, and these three are one”: the Bible’s most explicit affirmation of the Trinity.

By the mid-seventeenth century, it was increasingly clear that the verse was a late addition to the text. The dispute over this verse was crucial in persuading Isaac Newton to abandon the Trinity."

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 7:06am On May 27, 2019
"Luther was a superb scriptural street fighter, but that was not why he valued the Bible. We need instead to notice how apparently free and easy Luther could be with the Bible, to an extent that would shock many modern Protestants. It is not so surprising that he threw out the so-called deuterocanonical or apocryphal books of the Old Testament, the books such as Tobit, Ecclesiasticus, and Maccabees, which survive only in Greek, not in Hebrew.

Plenty of biblical scholars agreed with him on that, though it conveniently got rid of some theologically awkward passages. Yet he also dealt robustly with the rest of the Old Testament. He wanted to expel the book of Esther altogether. He thought that the books of Kings were more reliable than the books of Chronicles, doubted that large chunks of the Old Testament were actually written by their supposed authors, and reckoned that many of its texts were corrupted.

He thought that most of the book of Job was fiction and that the prophets had sometimes made mistakes. He poured cold water on the huge numbers in the Old Testament narratives.

On the New Testament, Luther was only a little more restrained. He was famously scathing about the Epistle of James, whose teaching on the role of faith and good works does not sit entirely easily with his doctrines. He called it an “epistle of straw,” claimed that it “mangles the Scriptures” and “doesn’t amount to much.”

Once he told a student, “I almost feel like throwing Jimmy into the stove.” In Luther’s Bible, James was yanked out of its normal place and sent to the end of the New Testament, along with three other books that he doubted were written by apostles (the Epistle to the Hebrews, the Epistle of Jude, and Revelation).

He treated other parts of the Bible with almost equally unnerving favoritism. John’s Gospel was for Luther “the one, fine, true, and chief gospel, and is far, far to be preferred over the other three.”

All of which suggests a Humpty-Dumptyish readiness to ignore what he disliked, choose what he wanted, and call it the Word of God."

2 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 8:25am On May 28, 2019
I CAN'T MAKE THIS ANY CLEARER

A pastor friend complained that my arguments are "purely intellectual rhetoric out of touch with reality". He asked, "Do you suppose that such life's complexities and clear patterns of order in the universe could have come about by some unguided impersonal force?"

This is how I answered him.

"Consider the following two statements:

1) Either (a) life was created by an intelligent entity or (b) it was not.

2) Either (a) the god of the Hebrews is real or (b) the god of the Hebrews was invented like thousands of other gods.

Firstly, you should notice that these two statements are wholly independent. For example, if (1a) is true, it does not mean (2a) is true. (1a) could be true and (2b) could be true. So, if you want to believe both (1a) AND (2a) are true, you need separate evidence to support each proposition.

Secondly, you cannot say (1a) is true only because you can't conceive of a natural process by which life could arise in the absence of an intelligent entity.

For example, you may not be able to conceive of a way in which a 350-tonne machine could travel at 36,000 ft for 4,000 miles at 560 mph carrying 400 humans but that does not mean it is impossible.

Your inability to conceive how something happens only tells us about your limitations--it tells us nothing about the limitations of nature.

I suggest the facts are these: you cannot show that (1a) is true and nor can you show that (2a) is true, yet you believe them both with absolute certainty. I cannot show that (1a) and (2a) are true so I do not believe either of them.

My position is 100% rational; your position is 100% non-rational. I can't make it any clearer than this.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 6:51am On May 30, 2019
THE POWER OF NAIRALAND

I realized this morning that I have 10012 total likes and 1669 total shares on Nairaland. That is interesting information. From previous research I've done, I estimate 25 - 30 people read a post for every one person who clicks a reaction. If that's correct, I calculate my posts have had about 350,000 reads.

What would have happened if I had decided to write a book instead of writing Nairaland posts? Honestly, I would be very lucky to sell 500 copies and many of those copies would sit on a shelf unread.

Nairaland has other advantages too. Once people have read an article, they can read the ensuing discussion, learn about widely variant viewpoints, and can even participate if they wish. More than that, with a couple of mouse-clicks, they can contact me and have a private conversation.

This is true of Facebook as it is with Nairaland. In fact, Social Media in general.

This makes Social Media an extraordinarily powerful platform for the free exchange of ideas. (Well, almost free, Nairaland can be somewhat bias to religious posts, perhaps because theists make them the most bills in ads). With billions of people involved daily and with Google providing a pretty decent fact-checking service in the background, opinions must be changing faster now than ever before in history.

Over the five years I've been posting about religion on Nairaland, some 35 people have PMed me to say that have left their religion, largely, or partly, because of the posts and discussions on my Timeline. How many more people have had the same experience but not bothered to tell me? I have no idea.

What I know is Nairaland posts like mine, make a difference. What I know is my presence here has changed a few dozen people, maybe many more and those people will change others. They will give their kids a chance to be open-minded and they will influence their friends and families. People I will never meet, or never know exist, will bring an approach to rationality in remote villages thousands of miles away that will initiate changes that will be unstoppable.

Reason can be a thing of breathtaking beauty that can show religions to be what they are, backward, ugly and crass.

As usual, Sam Harris said it best. Talking about his Waking Up podcast, he said and I paraphrase, If I wrote a best selling book every year for a decade, I would still not reach as many people as my podcast reaches in one hour.

That is the power of Nairaland. That is the power of social media.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by aytuns(m): 9:28pm On May 30, 2019
CAPSLOCKED:

at this juncture, I want you to enlighten me... where do humans come from? how did this world and universe we are in come to be? how is it that we are able to love and exist here on earth?... please enlighten me
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by aytuns(m): 9:37pm On May 30, 2019
joseph1013:
I CAN'T MAKE THIS ANY CLEARER

A pastor friend complained that my arguments are "purely intellectual rhetoric out of touch with reality". He asked, "Do you suppose that such life's complexities and clear patterns of order in the universe could have come about by some unguided impersonal force?"

This is how I answered him.

"Consider the following two statements:

1) Either (a) life was created by an intelligent entity or (b) it was not.

2) Either (a) the god of the Hebrews is real or (b) the god of the Hebrews was invented like thousands of other gods.

For example, you may not be able to conceive of a way in which a 350-tonne machine could travel at 36,000 ft for 4,000 miles at 560 mph carrying 400 humans but that does not mean it is impossible.

Your inability to conceive how something happens only tells us about your limitations--it tells us nothing about the limitations of nature.

My position is 100% rational; your position is 100% non-rational. I can't make it any clearer than this.

well, your pastor friend has gotten HIS answer to the question/statement you posed . question is have you found your answer? are you looking for answers that have been found already and is glaring, only you keep refusing to acknowledge it?

(1) (2) (3) ... (100) (101) (102) (103) (104) (105) (106) ... (130) (Reply)

Jesus is coming soon. This thread is for faithful watchmen / Scandal: Pastor Chris Oyakhilome In South African Trouble! / Rhapsody Of Realities: A Daily Devotional

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 146
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.