Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,533 members, 7,837,042 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 04:07 PM

My Thoughts And Questions About Religion - Religion (104) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / My Thoughts And Questions About Religion (231867 Views)

Questions About Religion For The Deep Thinker / Why Are Atheists Always Talking About Religion / Questions About Demon Possession - Nairaland Demonology Experts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (101) (102) (103) (104) (105) (106) (107) ... (130) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by aytuns(m): 9:39pm On May 30, 2019
That 'aha' moment... the almighty God is real.... Now that makes a whole lot of sense, and answers a while lot of questions..
Then knowing all things were created for His pleasure, that He is Supreme and all sufficient One, the I Am that I Am , in whom we humans have our being.. clarifies those funny doubts the Devil throws through various means like this thread.

I'm done answering atheist, and so called 'logical thinkers'.. Cos the glaring conclusion remains . It's Impossible NOT To Acknowledge The Existence OF GOD... EVEN IF YOU ARE IN DENIAL.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 12:53pm On May 31, 2019
I can't think of a single scientific theory that has been debunked by religion, yet I can think of many religious beliefs that have been destroyed by science.

Why?

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by LordReed(m): 1:29pm On May 31, 2019
aytuns:
That 'aha' moment... the almighty God is real.... Now that makes a whole lot of sense, and answers a while lot of questions..
Then knowing all things were created for His pleasure, that He is Supreme and all sufficient One, the I Am that I Am , in whom we humans have our being.. clarifies those funny doubts the Devil throws through various means like this thread.

I'm done answering atheist, and so called 'logical thinkers'.. Cos the glaring conclusion remains . It's Impossible NOT To Acknowledge The Existence OF GOD... EVEN IF YOU ARE IN DENIAL.

You are done because you have no answers. Go and ponder how you know anything about the god.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Thelifebeam: 5:11pm On May 31, 2019
After becoming a child of God, the next point of action is building your faith and acting by faith.

Below are some steps that are important in building up your faith. You can grow your faith by;

Meditating regularly on God’s word Joshua 1;7-9
Praying in the Holy spirit Jude 1:20
Reading sound christian literature & texts
Listening to good christian music and testimonies
Regular fellowship with brethren in a bible believing church

http://thelifebeam.com.ng/2019/05/31/5-easy-steps-to-build-your-faith/
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by CAPSLOCKED: 12:17pm On Jun 01, 2019
aytuns:

at this juncture, I want you to enlighten me... where do humans come from? how did this world and universe we are in come to be? how is it that we are able to love and exist here on earth?... please enlighten me

I DON'T KNOW.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 12:28pm On Jun 03, 2019
FINDING SOLID GROUND

Many people use faulty logic to conclude the universe must have an intelligent creator. (If you still happen to think this logic is valid, feel free to explain why below, but it has been so thoroughly and frequently debunked that I won't discuss it here.)

In most cases, these same people also believe the creator has a cast of supernatural buddies including several types of angel, a devil, spirits, cherubim, and demons. None of these beings are necessary for the creation of the universe and they are not indicated by the faulty logic that leads to an intelligent creator.

The problem is, once you accept a supernatural creator, you have to accept a supernatural realm, and in this realm anything could exist, and anything could happen. The supernatural also allows for humans with extraordinary powers like witches, mediums, and prophets.

By accepting a supernatural realm, we immediately and completely forfeit our ability to distinguish the feasible from the absurd—nothing is too absurd for this realm and nothing can be ruled out. We are lost. Our most important tools, logic and evidence are rendered impotent and useless.

But remember, we got here through faulty logic. Take away that faulty logic and there is no reason to believe in a supernatural realm. We can again rely on logic and evidence, and we can distinguish the feasible from the absurd.

It gives us our world back. We rediscover solid ground to stand upon.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by LordReed(m): 12:53pm On Jun 03, 2019
joseph1013:

But remember, we got here through faulty logic. Take away that faulty logic and there is no reason to believe in a supernatural realm. We can again rely on logic and evidence, and we can distinguish the feasible from the absurd.

It gives us our world back. We rediscover solid ground to stand upon.

This is exactly how I lost my faith. Once you don't need to defend the god hypothesis everything else unravels.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 6:58pm On Jun 03, 2019
LordReed:

This is exactly how I lost my faith. Once you don't need to defend the god hypothesis everything else unravels.

Yeah, once that stool breaks, nothing else to stand on.

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 10:21am On Jun 05, 2019
Charles Jaja-Sackey wrote:

Every now and then, theists leave comments on my posts in an attempt to portray me perhaps as their definition of who an atheist is – one who has no foundation upon which their morals can originate from, except that it must relate to morality derived from an element of theistic admonition.

I often reply by asking where animals who exhibited traits we humans see as similar to our moral expectation get their morality from. I cannot recall what response I get to this, but I know it has never been one that answers the question.

You see, atheism is not a philosophy, or a dogma; it is not even a ‘view’ of the world. The entirety of atheism simply means you’re not denying the obvious. Every time you apply a practical approach, you’re being an atheist in that context – you’re telling yourself that your decision or action you are taking is based on the acceptance of a reality devoid of any theistic underpinning.

When your mobile phone’s battery is 1%, the moment you reach for a charger; as opposed to carrying out a religious activity like praying for it to become 100% (without charging it, that is), you are simply “acting out” the practicalities of being an atheist.

When you fall ill, by going to the hospital, or taking medicine, you are demonstrating the practicalities of being an atheist. Sure you might pray because you’re religious, however the action of seeking medical help is the thought-pattern – and action – of what being an atheist is.

Unfortunately, we live in a world in which the obvious is overlooked as a matter of principle. It need not be that way, the obvious must be observed and re-observed and argued for. Doing this of course is a thankless job; it carries with it an aura of moodiness and insensitivity. It is moreover a job that even the atheist does not want.

To be fair, one need not dismiss the “usefulness” of religion as a coping mechanism and probably as a tool to instil secular morals. Religion appears to be a coping mechanism for many Nigerians. Life is hard; incredibly difficult. And coming to terms with this reality is not as easy for everyone as it may be for others.

Despite how tough life is, humans are even more scared of death. Better to suffer but live than die, some would say. This is why most people find it hard to understand suicide as a choice. “Why? Why take your life?” As if some of us will escape death; or that there’s a box-standard number of years everyone must live up to. Even if everyone lives to be 100, humans would ask “why not 101, 110 or 200?”

Embedded in the profundity of religion is hope – dogmatically expressed as faith. Paradoxically, the reality of death is central to religions, and its denial is also a central element of religions. Without death, faith-based religion would be unthinkable. And from the perspective of the believer, atheism is the mere revelation of death.

Most world views – certainly all worldviews underpinned in religion – either leave the question of death open or claim that death is a an misapprehension, and that good people – especially those who believe in their “shared” deity will get everything they want after death. As such everything that looks strange, unwanted, and painful or just seems random in this life will show its meaning in the end – after death.

Therefore the suggestion that perhaps nothing happens after death; that there's nothing to worry about, nothing to be afraid of; that after you die, you return to the nullity that was before your birth; is unthinkable. They find this suggestion difficult to understand, and are confused by it.

The fact is if indeed there is nothing after death, then any religion ever dreamed is false. And if indeed nothing happens after death, then death itself is not a problem; life is. For the theist and the religious, without God and without the promise of endless existence after death, life appears to be an emergency, no matter how bone-crushingly painful it is; “why 100 years, why not 101, or 110, or 200?”

Without the “divine hope” of afterlife with rewards for all of life’s struggles, you can perhaps see how bad things go from there. Therefore, the only way it seems; for most, to manage the horrors of life as an existence is to embed fortune or luck inside the benevolence of a deity, because no matter how good you feel, looking at news shows you that it would be possible not to have fun at all.

The problem with anticipating an afterlife of bliss is that we may fail to try everything we can to make this life better. It is not surprising that there are shocking inequalities in this world. We have barely come out of centuries of barbarity. Life is difficult, so tough! Difficult to climb down the tree, walk upright, and build a global civilization when the technology you started with is stone, stick and fur.

This is development… and development is difficult. Accepting this reality, and being under no illusions, helps us acknowledge that it is our task is to make the world a better place, and correct the bad ideas we have made. �

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by CAPSLOCKED: 12:39pm On Jun 06, 2019
Archaeologists near Mount Sinai have discovered what is believed to be a missing page from the Bible. The page is currently being carbon dated in Bonn. If genuine, it belongs at the beginning of the Bible and is believed to read "To my darling Candy. All characters portrayed within this book are fictitious and any resemblance to persons living or dead is purely coincidental."

FINALLY. cheesy
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 1:05pm On Jun 06, 2019
GOD VS CHEESE

The idea that God exists is not a fact, it is an hypothesis. It is an hypothesis with roughly the same standing as the hypothesis that the moon is made of cheese--there is no evidence to support it and all the evidence we do have suggests it is false.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 5:03pm On Jun 06, 2019
Does God exist? That depends on which God you have in mind. The cosmic mystery or the worldly lawgiver? Sometimes when people talk about God, they talk about a grand and awesome enigma, about which we know absolutely nothing. We invoke this mysterious God to explain the deepest riddles of the cosmos. Why is there something rather than nothing? What shaped the fundamental laws of physics? What is consciousness, and where does it come from?

We do not know the answers to these questions, and we give our ignorance the grand name of God. The most fundamental characteristic of this mysterious God is that we cannot say anything concrete about Him. This is the God of the philosophers; the God we talk about when we sit around a campfire late at night, and wonder what life is all about.

On other occasions people see God as a stern and worldly lawgiver, about whom we know only too much. We know exactly what He thinks about fashion, food, sex and politics, and we invoke this Angry Man in the Sky to justify a million regulations, decrees and conflicts. He gets upset when women wear short-sleeved shirts, when two men have sex with one another, or when teenagers masturbate.

Some people say He does not like us to ever drink alcohol, whereas according to others He positively demands that we drink wine every Friday night or every Sunday morning. Entire libraries have been written to explain in the minutest details exactly what He wants and what He dislikes.

The most fundamental characteristic of this worldly lawgiver is that we can say extremely concrete things about Him. This is the God of the crusaders and jihadists, of the inquisitors, the misogynists and the homophobes. This is the God we talk about when we stand around a burning pyre, hurling stones and abuses at the heretics being grilled there.

When the faithful are asked whether God really exists, they often begin by talking about the enigmatic mysteries of the universe and the limits of human understanding. ‘Science cannot explain the Big Bang,’ they exclaim, ‘so that must be God’s doing.’

Yet like a magician fooling an audience by imperceptibly replacing one card with another, the faithful quickly replace the cosmic mystery with the worldly lawgiver. After giving the name of ‘God’ to the unknown secrets of the cosmos, they then use this to somehow condemn bikinis and divorces. ‘We do not understand the Big Bang – therefore you must cover your hair in public and vote against gay marriage.’

Not only is there no logical connection between the two, but they are in fact contradictory. The deeper the mysteries of the universe, the less likely it is that whatever is responsible for them gives a damn about female dress codes or human sexual behavior.

The missing link between the cosmic mystery and the worldly lawgiver is usually provided through some holy book. The book is full of the most trifling regulations, but is nevertheless attributed to the cosmic mystery.

The creator of space and time supposedly composed it, but He bothered to enlighten us mainly about some arcane temple rituals and food taboos. In truth, we haven’t got any evidence whatsoever that the Bible or the Quran or the Book of Mormon or the Vedas or any other holy book was composed by the force that determined that energy equals mass multiplied by the speed of light squared, and that protons are 1,837 times more massive than electrons.

To the best of our scientific knowledge, all these sacred texts were written by imaginative Homo sapiens. They are just stories invented by our ancestors in order to legitimise social norms and political structures.

I personally never cease to wonder about the mystery of existence. But I have never understood what it has got to do with the niggling laws of Judaism, Christianity or Hinduism. These laws were certainly very helpful in establishing and maintaining the social order for thousands of years. But in that, they are not fundamentally different from the laws of secular states and institutions.

The third of the biblical Ten Commandments instructs humans never to make wrongful use of the name of God. Many understand this in a childish way, as a prohibition on uttering the explicit name of God (as in the famous Monty Python sketch ‘If you say Jehovah …’). Perhaps the deeper meaning of this commandment is that we should never use the name of God to justify our political interests, our economic ambitions or our personal hatreds.

People hate somebody and say, ‘God hates him’; people covet a piece of land and say, ‘God wants it’. The world would be a much better place if we followed the third commandment more devotedly. You want to wage war on your neighbours and steal their land? Leave God out of it, and find yourself some other excuse.

When all is said and done, it is a matter of semantics. When I use the word ‘God’, I think of the God of the Islamic State, of the Crusades, of the Inquisition, and of the ‘God hates gays’ banners. When I think of the mystery of existence, I prefer to use other words, so as to avoid confusion.

And unlike the God of the Islamic State and the Crusades – who cares a lot about names and above all about His most holy name – the mystery of existence doesn’t care an iota what names we apes give it."

~ Yuval Harari: 21 Lessons for the 21st Century

9 Likes 5 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 8:44am On Jun 07, 2019
LIFE IN SPIRIT HEAVEN

Christians differ on what they believe Heaven will be like. Some say, we will have our bodies restored to their peak condition and it will be like life on Earth... There are many problems with this idea but I want to think about the second idea of Heaven, the idea that we (well, not me) will live in Heaven as spirits.

What will life be like as a spirit, I wonder? Without a body, there will be no food or drink, no sex, no hugs, no beautiful women or handsome men.

You won't have senses which rely on physical organs and nerves so you will be in the dark, in silence, without smells, the sensation of touch or the taste of food—you won't even know which way up you are (and it won't matter because spirits don't have a right-way-up).

Will you be able to think? I don't think so—we know thinking occurs in a physical brain and you won't have one. You won't have memories either as these too, are stored in your physical brain.

And how would you be able to communicate with your fellow spirits (even if you could find them) with no sense organs and no brain to understand what they want to tell you?

How will you even know you are alive? You won't. And THAT will be a blessing; to live like this forever and to be aware of the darkness and silence would not be Heaven—it would be the most intolerable Hell.

Spirit Heaven is a spectacularly stupid idea. Yes, you have to be epistemologically challenged to believe God is real, but it takes a complete lack of thought to believe spirit Heaven is real, and desirable.

4 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by CAPSLOCKED: 8:08pm On Jun 08, 2019
joseph1013:
LIFE IN SPIRIT HEAVEN

Christians differ on what they believe Heaven will be like. Some say, we will have our bodies restored to their peak condition and it will be like life on Earth... There are many problems with this idea but I want to think about the second idea of Heaven, the idea that we (well, not me) will live in Heaven as spirits.

What will life be like as a spirit, I wonder? Without a body, there will be no food or drink, no sex, no hugs, no beautiful women or handsome men.

You won't have senses which rely on physical organs and nerves so you will be in the dark, in silence, without smells, the sensation of touch or the taste of food—you won't even know which way up you are (and it won't matter because spirits don't have a right-way-up).

Will you be able to think? I don't think so—we know thinking occurs in a physical brain and you won't have one. You won't have memories either as these too, are stored in your physical brain.

And how would you be able to communicate with your fellow spirits (even if you could find them) with no sense organs and no brain to understand what they want to tell you?

How will you even know you are alive? You won't. And THAT will be a blessing; to live like this forever and to be aware of the darkness and silence would not be Heaven—it would be the most intolerable Hell.

Spirit Heaven is a spectacularly stupid idea. Yes, you have to be epistemologically challenged to believe God is real, but it takes a complete lack of thought to believe spirit Heaven is real, and desirable.

THE SPIRITS IN HEAVEN ARE CAPABLE OF PRAISING GOD WITH SINGING OF HYMNS AND BLOWING OF TRUMPETS.
THE SPIRITS IN ALLAH'S HEAVEN ARE CAPABLE OF HAVING SEX WITH MULTIPLE WOMEN.

RELIGIOUS PEOPLE ARE CRAZY!

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 3:30pm On Jun 10, 2019
DARK, DIM & DISTURBING...

Christianity has its dark side. Such as people who are convinced there are witches who must be killed or demons that must be exorcised, even though 'exorcism' can harm or, even kill people. And those who believe their religion says gay folk are an abomination to be deprived of rights, imprisoned or worse. And those who believe praying for their sick children and refusing them blood transfusions and medication is better than allowing them to undergo medical treatment.

Christianity has its dim side too, like those who think the Adam & Eve story is true, that the universe is less than 10,000 years old, that the Noah story is actual history, and the belly of a fish could provide a man with comfortable accommodation for a few days.

For some people, Christianity also has a disturbing side. It makes them live in fear of Satan, demons, witches, curses and, perhaps most of all, it makes them afraid of dying and being judged for eternity.

But for millions of people who believe none of those things, Christianity is about conformity, community, and comfort. It is a relatively harmless, if banal, belief system.

So, if you can't live without an imaginary friend, could you please dump the dark, dim and disturbing? It doesn't help you, or anyone else.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by CAPSLOCKED: 4:52pm On Jun 11, 2019
TRYING TO STUDY MY BIBLE IN PEACE AND MEDITATE QUIETLY.. THEN I COME ACROSS THIS.

NEVER BEEN MORE CONVINCED THAT THE HOLY BOOK WAS WRITTEN AND COMPILED BY A COLLABORATION OF RETAŔDS AND DRUNKS.

5 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 11:46am On Jun 13, 2019
CAPSLOCKED:
TRYING TO STUDY MY BIBLE IN PEACE AND MEDITATE QUIETLY.. THEN I COME ACROSS THIS.

NEVER BEEN MORE CONVINCED THAT THE HOLY BOOK WAS WRITTEN AND COMPILED BY A COLLABORATION OF RETAŔDS AND DRUNKS.

grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 11:54am On Jun 13, 2019
WHAT IS GOD?

God is an immensely powerful friend who always listens to you, is always sympathetic and always loves you.

He often helps with the small things in life, although he may be hard to find when you're in serious trouble.

He befriends those whose family members are also his friends. He avoids those whose families have different invisible friends, and those who prefer their friends to be real.

9 Likes 6 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Nobody: 4:50pm On Jun 13, 2019
5 years and counting our confirm thread

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 11:38am On Jun 14, 2019
LOPSIDED LOGIC

Some religious folk are able to find fatal holes in the mountain of evidence for evolutionary theory--holes that even professional biologists just cannot see. These folk believe that God, not evolution, was responsible for the extraordinary variety of species on Earth. Obviously, only if God exists could he be responsible, but oddly, these folk cannot offer even a single piece of evidence for the existence of God.

Their logic seems to be that the vast amount of evidence we have for evolutionary theory is not sufficient to accept it, but no evidence at all is sufficient to accept the God hypothesis.

I have coined a name for this new form of logic--I call it lopsided logic. Others have much less polite names for it.

3 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 9:37am On Jun 17, 2019
HOW OUR IMAGINATIONS CAME TO RULE US

The evolution of a sophisticated imagination in protohumans changed everything. The ability to imagine what might happen in the next seconds or minutes, extended to the ability to imagine what might happen over years or decades. From fleeting images of the near future to the ability to construct stable mental models of the distant future and to incorporate everything previously learned.

Without this ability, we would not have developed medium and long-term planning, complex problem-solving, mathematics and science. Language, art, poetry, and story-telling may have existed but would have been impoverished and stunted. Imagination is one of the three pillars of modern human civilisation, along with abstract intelligence and emotional intelligence (IMO).

As we know, evolution is not about striving for perfection--it is about adequacy. It is about selecting variations that improve reproductive success and sometimes variations we could do without come along for the ride. Think of the successful evolution of light-seeking in moths which resulted in countless millions of moths self-immolating in flickering candle flames.

So it is with a sophisticated imagination. It enabled us to know that our lives would end and it enabled us to imagine powerful beings to help explain the world and to defend us from its perils--ultimately from death itself. It turned out our imaginations were so good, and our need for understanding and protection so great, that we became convinced our imaginary protectors were real.

Gods became to humans what candle flames are to moths--they attract us but bring us dangers and death. We have killed each other in disputes over our gods, we have killed and tortured people who deny them, we have sacrificed children to them and sacrificed ourselves to them.

It's true Gods have inspired greatness in us at times from the pyramids to the great cathedrals but what a price we have paid in human life.

The simple truth is imaginary gods will not feed you or pay for your children's education. They will not help you make good decisions and they will not enable you to live forever. Even if your gods do not inspire you to hate or kill people, they may still mark you out as a target for someone else, and they most likely cost you time in church or mosque attendance and money in tithes and offerings.

The bottom line is this; at a time when humans are reaching out for the stars and uncovering nature's deepest secrets, imaginary gods are a terrible investment. Invest in your family, your community and in humankind.

Use your fantastic imagination to lift us up, not to drag us down.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 11:36am On Jun 18, 2019
THE DEADLY POWER OF FAITH

An atheist medical doctor in Nigeria posted on Facebook some examples of tragedies caused by patients relying on faith and refusing medical treatment. He invited others to add examples of the same in the comments.

I read through 100 or so of the comments but it was too distressing to read more. For those who say faith is harmless, here is the evidence that it is not--it can be deadly to patients, and to children whose lives depend upon decisions made on faith by adults.

Believe things on faith if you want, but be clear, you can have no confidence that a faith belief is true. Faith is believing without evidence and the real reason people believe things without evidence is that there is no evidence. So faith beliefs are ALWAYS MUCH less likely to be true that beliefs that are supported by robust evidence.

If you make medical decisions on faith, you are putting your life on the line. Be very clear about that. And even if you are prepared for that yourself. do not EVER, make that decision for your children.

I have copied a sample of comments below. These are everyday tragedies that didn't make the headlines. Most of these comments were contributed by medical doctors. I cannot verify that they are all true but they are consistent with verified stories I have read from several African countries. You may be aware of similar stories from your own experience. I wonder if you can read them to the end?

"Child was having fever and was septic. Parents and pastor kept praying and pouring olive oil. Eventually child is brought to LUTH as white as a sheet. Blood looked like water with slight tinge of red colouring. Died few hours after."

"When a Jehovah's witness couple had a fight..... Baby needed urgent EBT. Father had given consent, mother refused. You know how dey call the cops on someone.... mother called 5 major elders of the church on me. They were there to explain to why the baby didn't need the exchange and handed me some copies of awake.

Baby died two days later....father asked mum not to bother coming home. She should go anywhere she likes with the corpse."

"Pregnant woman with major degree placenta praevia.... had been counselled on the need for CS. Went to a prayer house where she delivered her baby girl after several manoeuvres.

Bleeding persisted she was brought back to me with cervical laceration that was out of this world. She kept begging me on her dying bed to please help her, that she's sorry for not listening.

I wish I could....She died few minutes later."

"When your patient needs an emergency cesarean section but insists on waiting for the pastor to come and lay hands on her before she is taken in for the surgery. The baby died."

"Hypertensive going off drugs completely, saying faith has healed him. Several months after, his kidney crashed, acute, chronic n end stage renal failure, stages 1,2,3 in quick progression, he needed urgent kidney transplant. He'd say it was his enemies. Crying in front of visitors like a baby."

"HIV positive on medication, very low viral count, very stable, stopped drugs, asked for medical report for TB Joshua, was not given, defaulted from follow up, 'healed' by TB Joshua, got married, infected wife and two kids, brought in with Kaposi, then died."

"Patient who went to prayer house with small breast lump for "healing". Got worse after several visits to other houses, and finally came to Hospital with fungating mass. Died few weeks after."

"When your patient with end stage renal disease refuses a blood transfusion so he can be dialysed because he is a "witness". Dies a slow and painful death. Those of us on call during that period suffered too because they kept calling us with multiple complaints as a result of his worsening uremia."

"A lady came with early stage of breast cancer. She was counselled, including treatment modalities. She rejected the diagnosis in Jesus name despite telling pastor colleagues to prevail on her. She even took a "bet" with me that she would return cured.

She returned, but not cured, but with late stage. She lost the "bet". She lost her life."

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by LordReed(m): 3:43pm On Jun 18, 2019
joseph1013:
THE DEADLY POWER OF FAITH

An atheist medical doctor in Nigeria recently posted on Facebook some examples of tragedies caused by patients relying on faith and refusing medical treatment. He invited others to add examples of the same in the comments.

I read through 100 or so of the comments but it was too distressing to read more. For those who say faith is harmless, here is the evidence that it is not--it can be deadly to patients, and to children whose lives depend upon decisions made on faith by adults.

Believe things on faith if you want, but be clear, you can have no confidence that a faith belief is true. Faith is believing without evidence and the real reason people believe things without evidence is that there is no evidence. So faith beliefs are ALWAYS MUCH less likely to be true that beliefs that are supported by robust evidence.

If you make medical decisions on faith, you are putting your life on the line. Be very clear about that. And even if you are prepared for that yourself. do not EVER, make that decision for your children.

I have copied a sample of comments below. These are everyday tragedies that didn't make the headlines. Most of these comments were contributed by medical doctors. I cannot verify that they are all true but they are consistent with verified stories I have read from several African countries. You may be aware of similar stories from your own experience. I wonder if you can read them to the end?

"Child was having fever and was septic. Parents and pastor kept praying and pouring olive oil. Eventually child is brought to LUTH as white as a sheet. Blood looked like water with slight tinge of red colouring. Died few hours after."

"When a Jehovah's witness couple had a fight..... Baby needed urgent EBT. Father had given consent, mother refused. You know how dey call the cops on someone.... mother called 5 major elders of the church on me. They were there to explain to why the baby didn't need the exchange and handed me some copies of awake.

Baby died two days later....father asked mum not to bother coming home. She should go anywhere she likes with the corpse."

"Pregnant woman with major degree placenta praevia.... had been counselled on the need for CS. Went to a prayer house where she delivered her baby girl after several manoeuvres.

Bleeding persisted she was brought back to me with cervical laceration that was out of this world. She kept begging me on her dying bed to please help her, that she's sorry for not listening.

I wish I could....She died few minutes later."

"When your patient needs an emergency cesarean section but insists on waiting for the pastor to come and lay hands on her before she is taken in for the surgery. The baby died."

"Hypertensive going off drugs completely, saying faith has healed him. Several months after, his kidney crashed, acute, chronic n end stage renal failure, stages 1,2,3 in quick progression, he needed urgent kidney transplant. He'd say it was his enemies. Crying in front of visitors like a baby."

"HIV positive on medication, very low viral count, very stable, stopped drugs, asked for medical report for TB Joshua, was not given, defaulted from follow up, 'healed' by TB Joshua, got married, infected wife and two kids, brought in with Kaposi, then died."

"Patient who went to prayer house with small breast lump for "healing". Got worse after several visits to other houses, and finally came to Hospital with fungating mass. Died few weeks after."

"When your patient with end stage renal disease refuses a blood transfusion so he can be dialysed because he is a "witness". Dies a slow and painful death. Those of us on call during that period suffered too because they kept calling us with multiple complaints as a result of his worsening uremia."

"A lady came with early stage of breast cancer. She was counselled, including treatment modalities. She rejected the diagnosis in Jesus name despite telling pastor colleagues to prevail on her. She even took a "bet" with me that she would return cured.

She returned, but not cured, but with late stage. She lost the "bet". She lost her life."

malvisguy212 come and see o, please make sure your dad continues to be okay o!

joseph1013 please can you post a link to this?
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 5:02pm On Jun 18, 2019
LordReed:

https://www.facebook.com/714130327/posts/10160594906545328/
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by malvisguy212: 5:57pm On Jun 18, 2019
LordReed:

more than a year now, dad is fine, never took his medicine.

this thread is very good, you know why ? it show how knowledgeably atheists understand the scripture .

the Bible say " come let us reason TOGETHER" does it look like blind faith ?
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 4:09pm On Jun 19, 2019
WILL YOU PRAY FOR ME?

Many Christians and Muslims have prayed for me. At least a hundred people. They haven't prayed that I should be happy and healthy, they have prayed that God should reveal himself to me and that I should become a believer.

Well, that is 100 failed prayers right there. But it got me thinking. I'm not the only atheist being prayed for. Millions of atheists must be the subject of similar prayers. In fact, God must have heard billions of such prayers.

So how has God answered this torrent of earnest prayers? He hasn't. I'm still an atheist and the rate of reconversions from atheist back to Christian is very low indeed. Furthermore, the rate of Christians deconverting to atheism is growing.

What does this mean? Either God prefers atheists to Christians, or he doesn't answer prayers. If he doesn't answer prayers, he is either a liar (Matthew 21:22: "And whatever you ask in prayer, you will receive, if you have faith.”), or he doesn't exist.

It's interesting, those prayers intended to prove God exists have actually become evidence that he doesn't. The law of unintended consequences in action!

10 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 8:07am On Jun 25, 2019
Dear Christians,

I notice you often join together and pray to God after a terrible disaster. I wonder if I could make a suggestion?

Would you please pray BEFORE a disaster happens, so it doesn't happen.

Wouldn't that be a better strategy? It would save precious lives AND prove God exists. What could be better?

Yours in anticipation,

Joseph1013
Concerned Atheist

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by LordReed(m): 12:01pm On Jun 25, 2019
joseph1013:
Dear Christians,

I notice you often join together and pray to God after a terrible disaster. I wonder if I could make a suggestion?

Would you please pray BEFORE a disaster happens, so it doesn't happen.

Wouldn't that be a better strategy? It would save precious lives AND prove God exists. What could be better?

Yours in anticipation,

Joseph1013
Concerned Atheist

But how will we know a god exists if people don't die? /s
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by HEFAIROHLUWA(m): 7:36pm On Jun 27, 2019
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 6:27pm On Jun 28, 2019
Anozie Ebirim writes:

Biodun Fatoyinbo of COZA is a good Christian. That or there is no Christian. That talk about him not being a good Christian is playing to the gallery.

If all sins are same in your God's sight, then Biodun is either a good Christian or there is no good Christian anywhere.

I've dealt with Christians all my life. I've not found one that doesn't lie, cheat, steal, etc. I've not seen one single Christian that does what their Bible says. You've all failed so if you lot consider yourselves good Christians, then Biodun is good by y'all standards.

Religion is that silly. It creates leeway for idiocy.

Biodun is a good Christian. For the Bible tells me so.

11 Likes 6 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 7:46pm On Jun 28, 2019
Anozie Ebirim writes:

When Nigerian Christians ask you for evidence that pastor Coza raped Timi's wife...

The Great chapter on faith comes to mind.
Hebrews 11:.
Faith is the substance of things not seen.

I'm a bible scholar.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 10:04am On Jun 29, 2019
BETWEEN FATOYINBO'S ALLEGED RAPE AND JEHOVAH'S LOVE FOR RAPE

It's a delight that there is widespread condemnation of the alleged rape of Busayo Dakolo by Biodun Fatoyinbo of COZA when she was a teenager.

I hope he gets his day in court and the law runs its course.

This new found zeal to hold their 'God of Men' to account is admirable.

But I also hope it will make men take the next logical step and look at the attrocities of Jehovah and decide if this is the person they want to continue to pay obeisance to.

Numbers 31:7-18
"They attacked Midian just as the LORD had commanded Moses, and they killed all the men. All five of the Midianite kings – Evi, Rekem, Zur, Hur, and Reba – died in the battle. They also killed Balaam son of Beor with the sword. Then the Israelite army captured the Midianite women and children and seized their cattle and flocks and all their wealth as plunder. They burned all the towns and villages where the Midianites had lived. After they had gathered the plunder and captives, both people and animals, they brought them all to Moses and Eleazar the priest, and to the whole community of Israel, which was camped on the plains of Moab beside the Jordan River, across from Jericho.

Moses, Eleazar the priest, and all the leaders of the people went to meet them outside the camp. But Moses was furious with all the military commanders who had returned from the battle. “Why have you let all the women live?” he demanded. “These are the very ones who followed Balaam’s advice and caused the people of Israel to rebel against the LORD at Mount Peor. They are the ones who caused the plague to strike the LORD’s people. Now kill all the boys and all the women who have slept with a man. Only the young girls who are virgins may live; you may keep them for yourselves."

Clearly Moses and God approves of rape of virgins.

Deuteronomy 20:10-14
"As you approach a town to attack it, first offer its people terms for peace. If they accept your terms and open the gates to you, then all the people inside will serve you in forced labor. But if they refuse to make peace and prepare to fight, you must attack the town. When the LORD your God hands it over to you, kill every man in the town. But you may keep for yourselves all the women, children, livestock, and other plunder. You may enjoy the spoils of your enemies that the LORD your God has given you."

What kind of God approves of murder, rape, and slavery?

Deuteronomy 22:28-29
"If a man is caught in the act of raping a young woman who is not engaged, he must pay fifty pieces of silver to her father. Then he must marry the young woman because he violated her, and he will never be allowed to divorce her."

What kind of lunatic would make a rape victim marry her attacker? Answer: God.

Deuteronomy 22:23-24
"If within the city a man comes upon a maiden who is betrothed, and has relations with her, you shall bring them both out of the gate of the city and there stone them to death: the girl because she did not cry out for help though she was in the city, and the man because he violated his neighbors wife."

It is clear that God doesn’t give a damn about the rape victim. He is only concerned about the violation of another mans “property”.

2 Samuel 12:11-14
"Thus says the Lord: ‘I will bring evil upon you out of your own house. I will take your wives [plural] while you live to see it, and will give them to your neighbor. He shall lie with your wives in broad daylight. You have done this deed in secret, but I will bring it about in the presence of all Israel, and with the sun looking down.’

Then David said to Nathan, “I have sinned against the Lord.” Nathan answered David: “The Lord on his part has forgiven your sin: you shall not die. But since you have utterly spurned the Lord by this deed, the child born to you must surely die.” [The child dies seven days later.]"

This has got to be one of the sickest quotes of the Bible. God himself brings the completely innocent rape victims to the rapist. What kind of pathetic loser would do something so evil? And then he kills a child! This is sick, really sick!

Deuteronomy 21:10-14
“When you go out to war against your enemies and the LORD, your God, delivers them into your hand, so that you take captives, if you see a comely woman among the captives and become so enamored of her that you wish to have her as wife, you may take her home to your house. But before she may live there, she must shave her head and pare her nails and lay aside her captive’s garb. After she has mourned her father and mother for a full month, you may have relations with her, and you shall be her husband and she shall be your wife. However, if later on you lose your liking for her, you shall give her her freedom, if she wishes it; but you shall not sell her or enslave her, since she was married to you under compulsion.”

Once again God approves of forcible rape.

Seeing all these, when will Christians look at their God and religion through impartial eyes and hold their gods to the same basic standards of decency they are starting to expect from the men who represent Him?

I would not hold my breath though.

6 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (101) (102) (103) (104) (105) (106) (107) ... (130) (Reply)

Jesus is coming soon. This thread is for faithful watchmen / Scandal: Pastor Chris Oyakhilome In South African Trouble! / Rhapsody Of Realities: A Daily Devotional

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 136
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.