Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,253 members, 7,818,874 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:01 AM

My Thoughts And Questions About Religion - Religion (43) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / My Thoughts And Questions About Religion (230701 Views)

Questions About Religion For The Deep Thinker / Why Are Atheists Always Talking About Religion / Questions About Demon Possession - Nairaland Demonology Experts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) ... (130) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by urahara(m): 8:49am On Jun 23, 2016
joseph1013:

Love you too, bro. No homo (I have often wondered why we need such caveat) wink

If u no want may den suspect u say u be guy grin grin cheesy
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1832(m): 9:11am On Jun 23, 2016
joseph1013:
CHRISTIANITY IS NOT A RELIGION!

I've noticed a new Christian apologetic emerging in recent years. Rather than attempt the hopeless project of finding evidence to support the existence of God, Jesus, heaven, hell and all the rest of it and excuses for the contradictions and embarrassing nonsense, these new kids on the block simply say we misunderstand it all--Christianity is not a religion, it's just a way of life.

Really? So Christianity has no god, no prophets, no holy scripture, no dogma, no priests, no worship, no life-after-death and Christians don't pray? OK, it's not a religion then.

It's just a lifestyle. A lifestyle that happens to believe in a god, prophets, holy scripture, dogma, priests, worship, life-after-death and prayer.

What an amazing coincidence--it's a lifestyle that looks just like a religion!
Funny how those who say christianity is a way of life, never seem to be able to follow the way of life prescribed by christianity. All you ever see them do, is the direct opposite of what christianity preaches.

3 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 10:13am On Jun 23, 2016
joseph1832:
Funny how those who say christianity is a way of life, never seem to be able to follow the way of life prescribed by christianity. All you ever see them do, is the direct opposite of what christianity preaches.

Finally my impersonator! How many times have I been "mentioned" in place of you especially in the Sexuality section? grin grin grin

It is safe to say that Christianity itself does not have the power to uniquely steer one in the most righteous of directions. After all is said and done, we are all humans often subject to the failings of our frail humanity.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by onstelly(f): 10:13am On Jun 23, 2016
As a child too I have so many questions I wish to ask about religion and my church in particularly even now as an adult and sometimes I do argue it with my siblings but my elder sister will be like let's forget about all those because somethings are way too much for a common man comprehension

Mynd44 please we know refiner has err but passes tamper justice with mercy

Cc
Dominique and Co help me plan her course
Thank you
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 10:19am On Jun 23, 2016
urahara:

If u no want may den suspect u say u be guy grin grin cheesy

I know that's why, and I have often told those who say so to go f**k themselves. Gays are humans and most can't help been gays. It's like a man apologizing for being born in Nigeria. There are just so many idiots in this country.

I was reading about Homosexuality in Africa some years back and it occurred to me that our Ancients treated them with indifference. In fact, some of them were deified. Sango, a Bisexual is a god in the Yoruba traditional religion. Sango, the Yoruba god of thunder was often described as a beautiful man who dressed like a woman, had his hair braided and accessorized like a woman. Sango priests, all men, still dress in women apparels when performing traditional rituals.

The foreign gods messed up our minds.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1832(m): 10:57am On Jun 23, 2016
joseph1013:

Finally my impersonator! How many times have I been "mentioned" in place of you especially in the Sexuality section? grin grin grin

It is safe to say that Christianity itself does not have the power to uniquely steer one in the most righteous of directions. After all is said and done, we are all humans often subject to the failings of our frail humanity.
LOL. Not to worry, you'll be mentioned in the fashion section soonest to vote for a particular contestant. Lol. grin

Yes! That is very true, as those who so practice religion, do not feel the need to adhere to itss princicles, unless they're being threatened with Hell fire or damnation. A man can never denyhis nature, as denying his nature often lead him to revealing his most atavistic tendencies.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by urahara(m): 11:24am On Jun 23, 2016
joseph1013:

I know that's why, and I have often told those who say so to go f**k themselves. Gays are humans and most can't help been gays. It's like a man apologizing for being born in Nigeria. There are just so many idiots in this country.

I was reading about Homosexuality in Africa some years back and it occurred to me that our Ancients treated them with indifference. In fact, some of them were deified. Sango, a Bisexual is a god in the Yoruba traditional religion. Sango, the Yoruba god of thunder was often described as a beautiful man who dressed like a woman, had his hair braided and accessorized like a woman. Sango priests, all men, still dress in women apparels when performing traditional rituals.

The foreign gods messed up our minds.

Funny enough the same people that made Africans have the absurd irrational hate for gays are now the same people that are condemning us for hating gays.

Ironical right smiley

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by urahara(m): 11:25am On Jun 23, 2016
joseph1832:

but they just cherry pick the rules they want to obey.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by urahara(m): 11:26am On Jun 23, 2016
joseph1832:

And they just cherry pick the rules they want to obey.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1832(m): 11:35am On Jun 23, 2016
urahara:

but they just cherry pick the rules they want to obey.
Course they do, and they usually will judge you for doing the exact thing they do, behind closed doors.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Richirich713: 5:38pm On Jun 23, 2016
joseph1013 :

Then there is a problem. We may paraphrase what you just said to this (please correct me if I am wrong): "Things are not good because He approves of them, they are good because they are like him."

Lets just say, God is the standard of goodness, there no standard beyond him, He is the ultimate being. In a sense he is "the good" Plato wrote about.

joseph1013:

If yes, then it seems to me that you just shuffled the problem around.
If the character of God is somehow like seizing the little ones and dashing their heads against the rocks (cf., Psalm 137:9), what then?

Nothing then,for it impossible for the God to have had a different character.

As for the psalm, it's not about Yahweh character, it's a cry for justice, an imprecatory psalm asking God to let justice be served, let Babylon suffer in the same measure as they made israel suffer.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 6:55pm On Jun 23, 2016
Richirich713:

Lets just say, God is the standard of goodness, there no standard beyond him, He is the ultimate being. In a sense he is "the good" Plato wrote about.

How do you know this?

Nothing then,for it impossible for the God to have had a different character.

As for the psalm, it's not about Yahweh character, it's a cry for justice, an imprecatory psalm asking God to let justice be served, let Babylon suffer in the same measure as they made israel suffer.
2nd Kings 2:23-24
Then he went up from there to Bethel; and as he was going up by the way, young lads came out from the city and mocked him and said to him, "Go up, you baldhead; go up, you baldhead!"
When he looked behind him and saw them, he cursed them in the name of the LORD. Then two female bears came out of the woods and tore up forty-two lads of their number.…

What happened to Yahweh here in answering Elisha's prayers?
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 12:30pm On Jun 24, 2016
THE DISGRACEFUL "OONI of IFE"

Yoruba culture and history has been an area of interest for me, the Yorubas have their own records from Oduduwa down to this present Ooni and Jesus is not in that history at all.

How come the Ooni is openly saying that Jesus is his father? Is Olodumare the same as Yahweh? Is Orunmila the same as Yeshua?

Maybe I studied the wrong Yoruba history or the Ooni knows something I don't.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Richirich713: 7:51am On Jun 25, 2016
joseph1013:

How do you know this?
[/b][/color]

It's not that I know it, it's that it solves the euthyphro dilemma, u see the euthyphro dilemma is claiming that it is logically impossible to have objective morality with God. All I'm doing is giving a third option, one which solves the dilemma (and I'm allowed to give a 3rd option since the dilemma is not a true dilemma, it's not A or not A).

joseph1013:

2nd Kings 2:23-24
Then he went up from there to Bethel; and as he was going up by the way, young lads came out from the city and mocked him and said to him, "Go up, you baldhead; go up, you baldhead!"
When he looked behind him and saw them, he cursed them in the name of the LORD. Then two female bears came out of the woods and tore up forty-two lads of their number.…

Since this is ur 2nd reference to the bible, I have to make this clear: the bible is irrelevant to whether the third option solves the dilemma and my original reply was aimed at that part(dilemma) of ur post.

joseph1013:

What happened to Yahweh here in answering Elisha's prayers?

Yes God answered Elisha prayers for judgment, either God put in effect the curse/judgment in Lev (26:21-22) which was part of the covenant stipulations and punishes those who mock God messengers.

Or those young people just mocked and insulted him, in addition they also challenged him to defend his honor and reputation as a prophet of God. Elisha asks God to deliver judgment. God delivers judgment and that's what happen. But in this case since it's not related to Lev (26:21-22) and I'm not sure whether the 42 were killed or not.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 5:16pm On Jun 26, 2016
THE DEARTH OF QUALITY JOURNALISM

Samson Akindele, Nigerian Journalist and Head of News at Fresh 105.9 FM, Ibadan, said he saw a cat that transformed to a girl. He gave us the girls' pictures but didn't give us the video of how the cat turned to the girl.

He went ahead to use the looks and smell of the lady's faeces as evidence for his claim. Can you imagine that?

If this kind of educated ignoramus can rise to a high position in a reputable media outfit in Nigeria, then we shouldn't be surprised at the shameful quality of journalism in this country.

And this also says a lot about our education. In saner climes, as we speak, this Samson guy should be answering charges bordering around character defamation, harrasment, and taking advantage of a mentally challenged individual.

7 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 7:38pm On Jun 26, 2016
[b]SHOULDN'T THE LAW PROTECT THE CITIZENS?

Presently I know of a couple of cases of manipulation and extortion of gullible folks by 'spiritual' conmen. I'll not go into their depressing details though.

Now, assume a pastor tells a person to donate his salary or certain amount of money assuring that in so and so time he'll reap so and so financial breakthrough. If after the said period, the individual rather than experience any financial blessing finds himself in difficulties. Is it not in order to say that the pastor obtained by false pretence and therefore committed fraud?

Gullible Nigerians are being ripped off by conmen in industrial scale under the guise of religion and I think these (mentally) vulnerable citizens need some protection from the law. I suggest the activities of the 'spiritual' conmen be paid more attention by the authorities with the aim of criminalizing the many criminal activities that transpire under the canopy of religion.

But will the politicians move against their allies? Would the victims not protest in defense of their exploiters?
[/b]

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 5:33pm On Jun 27, 2016
[b]CONFESSION: MY BARBARIC PAST

***WARNING: GRAPHIC DETAILS INSIDE. FICTION INSIDE AS WELL

Some years ago my girlfriend became pregnant. We were very young then. We were both confused. We didn't know what to do. We finally agreed to face whatever consequence that awaits us by keeping the baby. When she was 6 months gone, she came to me that someone advised her to terminate the pregnancy. We agreed to that after considering the pros and cons. Definitely it was going to be a surgical abortion.

We went to one mushroom hospital where the abortion was carried out. The doctor gave us the body to bury ourselves. We agreed to dump the baby somewhere inside the bush but we never felt good nor proud of ourselves because of what we did.

But on our way, we had a change of mind, we took the body home instead. We sliced the body, made chips out of it and every morning, we would take a piece each and eat. I personally started feeling good. Each time I eat the body, I feel relieved. Because we sliced it into some small small pieces, it lasted for over a year. Yea, we ate the baby and it made us feel better than other people.

This FICTIONAL story sounds barbaric to sane minds but shouldn't sound barbaric to biblically messed up minds. Think of a father you offended. He gave you his only son to torture to death to pay the penalty of the sin you committed then asked you to hang him on the cross. You are then mandated to eat the body of this son from time to time, by way of the Holy Communion, as a way of purifying yourselves. "This is my body, which is for you, [take it and eat it]; do this in remembrance of me."

THINK, PEOPLE, THINK![/b]

3 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 8:12pm On Jun 28, 2016
[b]PEACEFUL to RADICALISED MUSLIMS

Question: What's the difference between a peaceful Muslim and a radicalised Muslim?

Answer: Surah 9.5 [At-Tawbah]

A peaceful Muslim either ignores 9.5 or takes it to be only of historical interest.

A radicalised Muslim takes this verse to be a command from God that is as valid today as it was on the day it was uttered by Muhammad.

Qur'an Surah 9.5 says:
"So when the sacred months have passed away, then slay the idolaters [non-Muslims] wherever you find them, and take them captives and besiege them and lie in wait for them in every ambush, then if they repent and keep up prayer and pay the poor-rate, leave their way free to them; surely Allah is Forgiving, Merciful." [Shakir translation]

Surah 9, which was the last or second last chapter revealed (meaning it abrogates earlier more peaceful chapters), commands Muslims to kill, convert or subdue and tax non-Muslims everywhere.

Of course, I have over-simplified this. There are many other contentious verses but this verse exemplifies the problem.

Simply changing his or her attitude towards Surah 9.5 could change a peaceful Muslim into a Jihadist.

Which is why Islam is such a dangerous religion.

If you disagree with the Jihadist interpretation of 9.5, don't argue with me, go argue with a radicalised Muslim.[/b]

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 10:27pm On Jun 29, 2016
TESTING GOD

Whenever I mention ways to test if God is real, believers are quick to rush to his defence, "You cannot test God!" they exclaim. But I wonder if they've thought this through?

Believers are testing God every time they pray and ask him for something. If God truly won't be tested he cannot answer ANY prayers because EVERY prayer request is a test.

Or maybe they mean, God won't be tested by atheists. There is a big difference between believers and atheists. When believers' prayers are not answered, they conveniently forget they asked and only count their successes.

But atheists will count them all. And do the math. Which will invariably show that a proportion of prayers are answered--about the same proportion as would be answered by chance.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 4:34pm On Jun 30, 2016
[b]EVEN IN THE LAST DAYS OF RAMADAN

We are in the last days of Ramaddan.

The "Night of Majesty" occurs in these final 10 days. No one knows when. It is the time when Allah is believed to grant speedy bequests in response to supplicants' cries for help.

It is the high point of the whole exercise and striving on the path of faith.

Three terrorists in Turkey already answered their own prayers. No time to waste.

They strapped on suicide vests, went on a shooting spree, and then blew themselves up at the Istanbul airport.

They took at least 28 people who never did anything to them along.

28 as at last count.

At least 60 people are injured.

Little children are among the victims of this act of inexplicable wickedness.

Muslims did this. In the month of Ramaddan. No fear. No hesitation. No time. All business.

These religious purists. They are the only blight humanity is left with.

Let's watch the "this is not about religion" yakking start.

Tomorrow we will forget because to not forget is to sink into insanity.

I am sick of Religion and the religious.

The earth is sick too.[/b]

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 6:15pm On Jun 30, 2016
[b]THE CAUSE OF THIS MADNESS

Someone says, religion is not the cause of this madness. He asks, there are hundreds of millions of Muslims staying awake and praying hoping it's the Night of Majesty and wonders how the act of 3 terrorists relate to, taint or invalidate their faith or vigil?

I say, of course religion is the cause of this madness. Who writes a book that is full of contradictions (thereby leaving room for all sorts of interpretations), and then goes into hiding without ever showing up to provide clarifications? If you wonder why some Muslims kill in the name of Allah, then pick up a copy of the Koran and see for yourself what Allah has to say about infidels. I can tell you that none of it is uplifting.

The fact that the vast majority of Muslims do not participate in violence proves the point I quite often make - human decency is not derived from religion, it precedes it.

Believers are more moral than the gods they worship. The Koran admonishes Muslim men to beat their disobedient wives. My guess is that most Muslim men ignore this call to domestic violence, choosing the path of dialogue instead. By ignoring the injunction in Koran 4:34, the majority of Muslim men prove that their morality is superior to those of Allah and Mohammed.

If this has nothing to do with Islam, why is it Muslims, and not the adherents of Jainism, who are throwing bombs all over the place and shouting Allahu Akbar?[/b]

2 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 6:21pm On Jun 30, 2016
ISLAM IS NOT A RELIGION OF PEACE

Please, let's stop kidding ourselves. Islam is not a religion of peace.

It is the ultimate sales letter for power and conquest through the use of subjugation, fear, and brutality. Where Islam reigns, freedom dies. Period.

There is not a single country on earth where freedom has increased after Islam become the dominant religion. Not one!

Acknowledging that there are a peaceful number of people following the religion who choose to ignore the "radical" parts of the ideology is totally irrelevant.

The closer the beliefs of Islam are adhered to in any given area, the greater the levels of violence and intolerance.

And you know what is even more fear-invoking? The vast majority of Muslims surveyed want the tenets of Islam to be the guiding principle of the whole world. They want the entire world to be ruled by Shariah.

2 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 8:58pm On Jul 01, 2016
OFFICIALLY CRAZY

It's official! Religion has now taken over. Our expressways can no longer be available for citizens to use. Why? Because some people want to worship God.

Even the government agency (FRSC) whose duty it is to maintain sanity on the roads are now warning road users to avoid the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway today since it's been released to Christians and Muslims who want to pray. And we're talking about the busiest road in Africa here.

Imagine the amount of man-hours that will be lost today!

By the time we're through with the roadside prayer, God should just turn the economy of the country around, shouldn't he?

We really need a brain surgery!

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 2:03pm On Jul 03, 2016
[size=14pt]Religious children are meaner than their secular counterparts, study finds[/size]

Children from religious families are less kind and more punitive than those from non-religious households, according to a new study.

Academics from seven universities across the world studied Christian, Muslim and non-religious children to test the relationship between religion and morality.

They found that religious belief is a negative influence on children’s altruism.

“Overall, our findings ... contradict the commonsense and popular assumption that children from religious households are more altruistic and kind towards others,” said the authors of The Negative Association Between Religiousness and Children’s Altruism Across the World, published this week in Current Biology.

“More generally, they call into question whether religion is vital for moral development, supporting the idea that secularisation of moral discourse will not reduce human kindness – in fact, it will do just the opposite.”

Almost 1,200 children, aged between five and 12, in the US, Canada, China, Jordan, Turkey and South Africa participated in the study. Almost 24% were Christian, 43% Muslim, and 27.6% non-religious. The numbers of Jewish, Buddhist, Hindu, agnostic and other children were too small to be statistically valid.

They were asked to choose stickers and then told there were not enough to go round for all children in their school, to see if they would share. They were also shown film of children pushing and bumping one another to gauge their responses.

The findings “robustly demonstrate that children from households identifying as either of the two major world religions (Christianity and Islam) were less altruistic than children from non-religious households”.

Older children, usually those with a longer exposure to religion, “exhibit[ed] the greatest negative relations”.

The study also found that “religiosity affects children’s punitive tendencies”. Children from religious households “frequently appear to be more judgmental of others’ actions”, it said.

Muslim children judged “interpersonal harm as more mean” than children from Christian families, with non-religious children the least judgmental. Muslim children demanded harsher punishment than those from Christian or non-religious homes.

At the same time, the report said that religious parents were more likely than others to consider their children to be “more empathetic and more sensitive to the plight of others”.

The report pointed out that 5.8 billion humans, representing 84% of the worldwide population, identify as religious. “While it is generally accepted that religion contours people’s moral judgments and pro-social behaviour, the relation between religion and morality is a contentious one,” it said.

The report was “a welcome antidote to the presumption that religion is a prerequisite of morality”, said Keith Porteous Wood of the UK National Secular Society.

“It would be interesting to see further research in this area, but we hope this goes some way to undoing the idea that religious ethics are innately superior to the secular outlook. We suspect that people of all faiths and none share similar ethical principles in their day to day lives, albeit may express them differently depending on their worldview.”

According to the respected Pew Research Center, which examines attitudes toward and practices of faith, most people around the world think it is necessary to believe in God to be a moral person. In the US, 53% of adults think that faith in God is necessary to morality, a figure which rose to seven of 10 adults in the Middle East and three-quarters of adults in six African countries surveyed by Pew.

Source: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/nov/06/religious-children-less-altruistic-secular-kids-study

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 9:19am On Jul 05, 2016
[b]SOUTH AFRICA TAKES AN IMPORTANT STEP

South Africa’s Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) has banned the Christ Embassy church from airing its claims of faith healing following a complaint from the Treatment Action Campaign (TAC).

The Treatment Action Campaign (TAC) advocates for increased access to treatment, care and support services for people living with HIV and campaigns to reduce new HIV infections.

TAC spokesperson Nathan Geffen said on Thursday that the claims were aired during the church’s regular early morning slot on e.tv on Sundays.

He said the church claimed to use faith healing to treat several diseases, including heart disease, and had run adverts on its website claiming to treat HIV/Aids.

“Quackery of this nature is not merely misleading. It is life-destroying,” he said.

He said TAC knew of a woman infected with extreme drug resistant TB who stopped taking her medication because she believed the church had cured her, and died, after infecting her own children with the disease.

Geffen also criticised e.tv for continuing to run Christ Embassy programming even after it was alerted to TAC’s concerns.
[/b]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by kevoh(m): 2:41pm On Jul 05, 2016
joseph1013:
SOUTH AFRICA TAKES AN IMPORTANT STEP

South Africa’s Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) has banned the Christ Embassy church from airing its claims of faith healing following a complaint from the Treatment Action Campaign (TAC).

The Treatment Action Campaign (TAC) advocates for increased access to treatment, care and support services for people living with HIV and campaigns to reduce new HIV infections.

TAC spokesperson Nathan Geffen said on Thursday that the claims were aired during the church’s regular early morning slot on e.tv on Sundays.

He said the church claimed to use faith healing to treat several diseases, including heart disease, and had run adverts on its website claiming to treat HIV/Aids.

“Quackery of this nature is not merely misleading. It is life-destroying,” he said.

He said TAC knew of a woman infected with extreme drug resistant TB who stopped taking her medication because she believed the church had cured her, and died, after infecting her own children with the disease. shocked shocked

Geffen also criticised e.tv for continuing to run Christ Embassy programming even after it was alerted to TAC’s concerns.
@Joseph1013 seems this happened back in 2011 or so but still has more than enough juice to expose the dangers these so called faith healers pose.

CC petra1 a.k.a Joagbaje. What sayest thou?
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Nobody: 2:44pm On Jul 05, 2016
joseph1013:
[b]SOUTH AFRICA TAKES AN IMPORTANT STEP

He said TAC knew of a woman infected with extreme drug resistant TB who stopped taking her medication because she believed the church had cured her, and died, after infecting her own children with the disease.

[/b]
Do you believe in mind healing? That a simple shift in thinking could be the difference between sickness & health? Have you heard of 'New Thought movement' and the teaching that right thinking has a healing effect?

If you answered yes to any of those questions, then that's exactly what religion(including Christ Embassy) aims at achieving. To put in a mental state that induces healing. It works. I am not unaware that churches and establishments take advantage of this to scam gullible people.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 3:04pm On Jul 05, 2016
[b]READING THE QURAN OUT OF CONTEXT

"You’re reading the Qur’an out of context. This charge is particularly ironic given that it is, in fact, those who want to push the ‘religion of peace’ line who are regularly guilty of this. We are, for example, often told that the Qur’an states that there is ‘no compulsion in religion’ (Qur’an 2:256) What we are not being told is that Muslim scholars believe that this verse was abrogated by more belligerent ones (most notably Qur’an 9:5) ‘revealed’ while Muhammad was waging war against the Meccans. How about Qur’an 5:33 (To kill one person is to kill all of humanity)?

Strangely those who quote this heart-warming sentiment never read the full verse as it makes exceptions for those who ‘make mischief in the land’. Their punishment? They are to be murdered and crucified. So much for ‘quoting out of context’!”

“The ‘quoting out of context’ charge is furthermore particularly ironic in light of the fact that deducing context from the Qur'an is very difficult and in many cases impossible. Consider the following:

The Qur'an contains 114 chapters (or Suras) arranged roughly from longest to shortest with the exception of the short first chapter (the Fatiha or ‘Opening’). This arrangement means that chapters often bear very little relation to preceding and following ones.

Determining context is made even more difficult by the fact that there are not many narrative passages in the Qur'an. Instead, the standard format is a series of declarations by Allah without the provision of statements specifying the time or situation that the declarations refer to. Muslims scholars attempt to solve this problem by pointing to hadiths (traditions) that claim to supply the context for particular passages. The problem is, however, that these were written down more than 200 years after the events are believed to have occurred. Many of these traditions also offer contradictory explanations of context, for example, Sunni and Shi’a hadith collections that provide radically different contextual accounts.”

“On a slightly more philosophical level, it is worth pointing out the inherent problem with taking refuge in context when one deals with a supposedly eternal book. Most orthodox Muslims believe that the Qur'an was uncreated and that the earthly Qur'an is simply an exact copy of Allah's eternal word. To excuse or explain parts of the Qur'an by referring to historical context is therefore highly problematic. If the Qur'an is indeed Allah's eternal guidance to mankind, human beings should be able to follow it at all times and under all circumstances.

Having said all of the above, I will take great care in this book to take context into account wherever possible. I will do this through reliance on the Arabic text and constant reference to verses following and preceding the ones that I will be discussing. I am convinced that I consistently quote and discuss Qur’anic verses within their proper literary context.”

Excerpt From: Townsend, Peter. “Arabic for Unbelievers.” Peter Townsend, 2014-10-23T09:5 3:08+11:00. iBooks.
This material may be protected by copyright.[/b]
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 3:06pm On Jul 05, 2016
kevoh:

@Joseph1013 seems this happened back in 2011 or so but still has more than enough juice to expose the dangers these so called faith healers pose.

CC petra1 a.k.a Joagbaje. What sayest thou?

Yes, that was when it happened. I just crosschecked the publication. The dangers of these claims are fatal.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 3:16pm On Jul 05, 2016
holamiday:
Do you believe in mind healing? That a simple shift in thinking could be the difference between sickness & health? Have you heard of 'New Thought movement' and the teaching that right thinking has a healing effect?

If you answered yes to any of those questions, then that's exactly what religion(including Christ Embassy) aims at achieving. To put in a mental state that induces healing. It works. I am not unaware that churches and establishments take advantage of this to scam gullible people.

The New Thought Movement is scam. That was the movement that popularized Law of Attraction and The Secret. Contrary to what they teach, positive thinking alone does not heal you. It is a combination of many things that make the body healthy, including good diet and exercise. You are better off putting off smoking and cutting down on your intake of alcohol as well.

You should have a positive mental attitude to life, but that's not unique to the New Thought Movement. That advice dates back thousands of year before the movement came up.

Christian sects like Embassy scam people by claiming they can heal diseases like Cancers and AIDS. No proof. Or do you have proof?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) ... (130) (Reply)

Jesus is coming soon. This thread is for faithful watchmen / Scandal: Pastor Chris Oyakhilome In South African Trouble! / Rhapsody Of Realities: A Daily Devotional

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.