Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,048 members, 7,818,152 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:01 AM

My Thoughts And Questions About Religion - Religion (71) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / My Thoughts And Questions About Religion (230459 Views)

Questions About Religion For The Deep Thinker / Why Are Atheists Always Talking About Religion / Questions About Demon Possession - Nairaland Demonology Experts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (68) (69) (70) (71) (72) (73) (74) ... (130) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 11:04am On Mar 07, 2018
Jekwu Ozoemene

There is nothing like the Abrahamic faith Satan in the Yoruba Pantheon of Gods.

Esu is the God of mischief, the trickster god, a God of frightening excesses who is also a protector.

Of course not a protector when he purposely leaves a gourd of palmwine for Ogun to drink, get inebriated and slaughter his own people in battle.

Esu's equivalent in the Norse pantheon of gods is Loki or Hermes or maybe Mercury in the Roman pantheon.

Not even the Greek Hades approximates the Abrahamic faith Satan, neither is the Igbo Ekwensu, who like Esu is originally a trickster god (alusi), a master of commerce and a god of war and victory.

The predominance of Satan or Shaitan of the Abrahamic faith is also a new development following beliefs in witchcraft, demonic possession and sorcery much like Africa's explosion of Pentecostalism.

Not sure how Beelzebub the Prince of Darkness (Lord of the Flies) came to be an appellation for the Abrahamic faith Satan though.

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 7:52pm On Mar 08, 2018
Pablo Okwukogu

You'll be on your own in a bus, on the street, in a keke...and one person clutching a Bible will approach you, offer you a leaflet inviting you to their church..with a punchline that says

"your life will never be the same after visiting our church"

This is the height, they don't know you but they're sure about the state of your life and how it will be after visiting their church

You ignore them, return home, use social media to rant about it, still some people will come on your post to tell you to respect people's beliefs.

What the actual f**k is that?

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 2:40pm On Mar 11, 2018
joseph1013:
[b]THE MUSLIM WHOSE PRESENCE DEFIED CHRIST
by Professor Pius Adesanmi

Modees Usman, one of my protégés, was supposed to come and see me at the Ake Arts and Book Festival last month in Abeokuta. The gentleman is a patriotic Customs officer and, in my estimation, one of the brightest hopes for the sort of pan-Nigeria I envision ceaselessly in my public reflections. A devout Muslim, his sensibilities and advocacy for Nigeria reach across all our fault lines and bitter divisions. He is a picture perfect portrait of my ideal Nigerian. Suffice it to say, he did not make it to Abeokuta for our meeting. However, he sent a carton of non-alcoholic wine to me through another wonderful pan-Nigerian patriot, Remy Binte Oge.

My protégé couldn’t make it to Abeokuta because he had to travel to Calabar to attend the wedding of his childhood friend. He was in fact the designated best man at the occasion. I sent word to him that his attempt to bribe me with a carton of wine would not work: he would still have to pay a fine for failing to somehow find a way to visit me during my last trip to Nigeria.

I had no idea that a little drama was playing out in Calabar…

Modees, obviously, is a Muslim. His best friend who was getting married is a Christian. A Muslim was going to be best man in a Christian marriage! The Christian groom and his Muslim best friend thought nothing of this until wedding day and the officiating Pastor somehow caught wind of the faith of the best man and refused to proceed with the ceremony. It was bad enough for Modees, a Muslim, to have come to defile the body of Christ in his church! To approach the pulpit as the best man in the wedding was adding insult to injury! All entreaties to the Pastor failed. No Muslims allowed here!

The story of this foolish fundamentalist Christian Pastor in Calabar is the story of Nigeria. It is indeed the story of Africa. It is the story of the failure of critical intelligence. It could very easily have happened the other way round. It could have been Modees getting married and his Christian friend being bundled out of the ceremony for defiling a Mosque. The trouble with Nigeria, the tragedy of Africa, is that in a world of mutual connectivity and global influences and interactions, we have not figured out a way of making whatever we accept from the outside, whatever is forced on us from the outside, sit on the solid foundation of our own worldviews and humanity.

We forget that Christianity and Islam did not invade Africa purely as faith. They couldn’t have for they are much more than faith. They are also cultures for they took on the cultures of either their places of origin or their sources of global dissemination. Europeans and Arabs injected a great deal of their cultures and values, of who they are, into the versions of the creeds that they introduced to Africa. Because he lacks critical intelligence in his embrace of these two religions, the African thinks that the African in him must die as a pre-condition for his being a true Muslim or a true Christian.

This is the source of a strain of pathological fundamentalism that is strange even to the 'owners' of those religions in Europe and the Arab world. This explains why the modern Nigerian Christian – the sort who jots his Pastor’s sermon on an iPad – condemns the New Yam Festival in his village as a pagan practice while enthusiastically invading the Ikeja Mall to buy Halloween costumes for his children. That is why people demonstrate peacefully in Saudi Arabia whenever Europe draws cartoons of the Prophet Mohammed but Nigerians kill fellow Nigerians on account of ideological conflicts between Europe and the Middle East.

That is why Modees was thrown out of a Christian wedding in Calabar.

Modees was thrown out because Muslim and Christian faithful in Nigeria have killed the spirit of accommodation, humanism, and tolerance which informed the religions of their forefathers. They do not know that African Traditional Religions, like every other faith, also come complete with values that should inform their approach to the foreign religions they now practice.

Nobody is saying that you should discard your Christianity or Islam and go back to worship Ogun or Amadioha. But, at least, reduce your ignorance of what they thought of the other; reduce your ignorance of how the faith of your forefathers handled difference. Let me invite one of Africa’s foremost thinkers, Professor Ali Mazrui, to instruct you. Let me quote in detail from Professor Mazrui’s book, Resurgent Islam and the Politics of Identity:

“Of the three cultural legacies of Africa (Indigenous, Islamic and Christian) perhaps the most religiously tolerant is the indigenous tradition. It is even arguable that Africa did not have religious wars before Islam and Christianity arrived. Precisely because these two latter faiths were universalist in aspiration (seeking to convert the whole of humankind), they were inherently competitive. In Africa, Christianity and Islam have often been in competition for the soul of the continent…Indigenous African religions on the other hand are basically communal rather than universalist…By not being universalist in that sense, the African traditions have not been in competition with each other for the souls of other people. The Yoruba do not seek to convert the Ibo (sic) to Yoruba religion or vice versa. By not being proselytizing religions, African creeds have not fought with each other. Over the centuries, Africans have waged many kinds of wars with each other but hardly ever religious ones before the universalist creeds arrived.”

There you have it. The Ogun worshipper did not seek to convert or kill the Sango worshipper. The devotee of Obatala did not try to break the ikenga of the devotee of Amadioha. Tolerance was the foundation of the faith of your forefathers. How does adopting this foundational spirit of tolerance and injecting it into the Islam and Christianity you practice in Nigeria today make you any less a Muslim or a Christian? How exactly does the presence of Modees as best man in the wedding of his Christian friend diminish your Christianity?

In Zaria, you are even dividing and killing each other within the same faith along Shiite and Sunni lines imported from the Arab world – with the Army pouring petrol into the fire and committing possible crimes against humanity by mowing down civilians in a residence after clashes initial clashes on a road, all sides trading accusations.

Yet, the Pastor who threw out a Muslim from his Church will not hesitate to break the law by organizing a Christian event to block major roads in Calabar and make life difficult for his fellow Christians locked in a hellish traffic jam. Every Friday, Sambo Dasuki, Nigeria’s greatest thief at the moment, still does very public photo-ops from the prayer mats of the Mosque he attends.

Fundamentalist professions of Islam and Christianity have not stopped you from making Nigeria a cesspool of hate, theft, and corruption.

Tolerance was the foundation of the religion of your forefathers. You are welcome to continue to spit on these ancient religions and condemn them as pagan or idolatry. That is your wahala. But, know this: any Christianity or Islam which requires you to forego the tolerance inherent in the religions of your ancestors is leading you straight to hell for you will steal, hate, and kill in the name of such a Christianity or Islam.
[/b]
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 5:54pm On Mar 11, 2018
Lance Sievert

To my Christian, Jew and Hindu friends:

I really enjoy seeing a Muslim woman freeing herself of the hijab. I will wager that you feel the same.

What are we enjoying really? That a woman has her face uncovered? I don't think that is really the case. What we are appreciating is a person being liberated from religious oppression and control.

The hijab is really a symbol of how much power religion has over individuals, families and societies. For those who grow up in a religious culture, religious oppression is not religious oppression, it is normal, everyday life, and is rarely ever questioned, that is, if questioning is even permitted.

Religious power and control embeds itself in every facet of life, so as never to be separated, but instead, is permanently infused in every aspect of daily life and the individual psyche.

Add to that, that most of those oppressed cannot themselves recognize that oppression and cannot conceive of another way. This means that ending oppression and harm emanating from the practice and observance of religion is almost impossible to achieve.

It makes change exceedingly slow while extending the duration of the harm and allowing that harm to reach more people.

Now when you think of a hijab, I want you to ask yourself, "What is my religion forcing upon me?" What is your figurative hijab? How is the power and control of religion oppressing you? Has your religion embedded itself in every facet of your world? Can you imagine, or are you even permitted, to think of another way?

Do you really believe that if one religion can control a whole people, that your religion is not also controlling you?

Are these not important questions that you should have the freedom to ask? Has your religion gained enough power and control over your loved ones, that they will even permit you to ask?

Try taking off your "hijab" and find out.

Thanks for reading...
Love,
Lance Sievert

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 9:37pm On Mar 12, 2018
THE TRUE STORY OF DEREK

About 80 years ago, a baby was born into humble circumstances in Baabda, Lebanon. He was called Derek. I don't know the exact date he was born but I know his father trained him as a car mechanic and, as a teenager, he began to earn a living repairing cars.

Although he received a minimal education and probably never learned to write, Derek was a wonderful speaker. When he began telling stories, a crowd would soon gather round, eager to hear what he had to say. Initially, he told stories with a moral but soon moved on to telling people how they could make their lives better.

One such day, a crowd was listening to him intently when a ragged servant girl pushed to the front of the crowd. She called to him, "Derek, please help me. My master forced me to sleep with him and when my mistress found out she put a knife in my eye and I'm now blind and cannot work."

Derek held her hand gently and pulled her head to his chest. "Open your eyes for you can see" he whispered. She opened her eyes and her face lit up, "I can see!" she cried, as large tears rolled down her cheeks.

After that incident, Derek's reputation grew and so did the crowds who came to hear him speak. He did more amazing things.

One day, a tearful wife helped by her five children brought her dead husband to Derek. He had died two days ago and the woman was beside herself in grief. Derek spoke a few quiet words and the man began to stir as if he was waking from a deep sleep. Soon he was standing up, laughing and joking with the joyful crowd.

Derek had an extraordinary secret to tell his followers but he waited until his reputation was sky-high before he told them. He said they all knew his father Robbie. But Robbie was not his real father. His real father did not live in Lebanon, in fact he did not live on this planet.

His father lived in the constellation Andromeda, 97 light-years from Earth. A few people could not believe this revelation but many did, and it added enormously to Derek's stellar reputation.

Derek's growing popularity did not please everyone though. In particular, it worried religious leaders who thought Derek was leading people astray so they began to preach against him. Derek predicted they would come after him and so they did.

One warm evening a mob formed and grew in size and anger as they roamed around looking for him. When Derek heard about the mob, rather than hide, he went out to talk to them. But his sonorous voice and sweet words were no match for the mob. They beat him with baseball bats and hacked at him with machetes.

By the time the mob dispersed, Derek was unrecognisable. His body parts were strewn across the road and his blood ran away down the gutters.
Distraught followers collected the parts they could find and dropped them in a plastic bag. It was the best they could do. But this is not the end of the story.

As the tearful followers sat around staring at the bloody plastic bag, they began to see movement. Inside the bag something was happening.

Suddenly, the bag burst and Derek jumped up, damaged and covered in blood but alive and smiling! He spoke to them all briefly and then said goodbye to each one of them individually--almost 500 people witnessed this miracle.

Finally, he looked up and said he was going home to his father, but he would be back. He flew up into the sky like a rocket and disappeared from view.
I don't suppose anyone reading this story thinks it is true. It is far-fetched and the only evidence we have is my story written years after the events by someone who wasn't there. There is no other evidence that Derek ever existed, let alone that any of the events described actually happened.

We can say exactly the same about the existence of Jesus and the events of his life.

Actually, we have slightly better evidence for Derek than we have for Jesus. At least you know me, the author of the story, but we have no idea who wrote the Jesus stories.

I wonder then, why so many people believe the Jesus story but no one believes the Derek story? What is the difference? The difference is you were raised to believe the Jesus story and that makes all the difference in the world.

But does that make it true?

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 5:43am On Mar 17, 2018
CHRISTIANITY OR ISLAM?

Christians and Muslims worship the same god; the god of Abraham. If Islam is true, Jesus was a liar. If Christianity is true, Mohammad was a liar. So which one do you most trust?

The one who claimed God was his dad? The one who claimed to have died for three days? The one who cursed a fig tree for not bearing fruit out-of-season?The one who claimed the stars would fall to earth? The one who told his followers to drink poison?

Or the other one? The one who believed stones and trees can talk? The one who believed the sun sets in a muddy pool of water? The one who owned slaves? The one who claimed the first man (Adam) was 90 feet tall? The one who claimed to have long conversations with an angel? The one who married a nine year-old child?

Not much of a choice is it?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 4:06pm On Mar 17, 2018
Christians, how can you be terrified of Christian hell but completely unconcerned about Islamic hell?

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by 4kings: 6:03pm On Mar 17, 2018
joseph1013:
Christians, how can you be terrified of Christian hell but completely unconcerned about Islamic hell?
They've been wired not to consider that...
They truly belive their God is the ONLY true God.
(Atleast most of them)

2 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 5:23pm On Mar 18, 2018
4kings:

They've been wired not to consider that...
They truly belive their God is the ONLY true God.
(Atleast most of them)
Muslims are not afraid of Christian hell and Christians are not afraid of Islamic hell.

They are both right.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Nobody: 9:45pm On Mar 18, 2018
malvisguy212:
it's a choice,you love God or you Reject Him,concerning the wife of cain;bible does not specifically say it only cain and abel was the son of adam,. Although Cain
does seem to be the firstborn, the text is not clear
that Abel was the second born, but only that he was
the second son. Later, the narrative indicates that
Adam and Eve produced "other sons and
daughters." So, it is possible that Adam and Eve
produced daughters between the births of Cain and
Abel. It is also likely that others sons and daughters
were produced after the birth of Abel. We don't know how old Cain and Abel were when Cain murdered his brother, but they seem to be at least young adults, since they are both engage in a trade. for their
living.

Although the period of time between the birth of
Cain and the death of Abel is not given in the Bible, it would seem that this period was probably over 100 years, since the birth of Adam's next son, Seth is said to have occurred when Adam was 130 years old. Adam and Eve could have produced many daughters during that period of time.
It is possible cain would have marry one of this sister,God caused him may have lead to this.

According to the Bible...
As at the time God was banishing Cain, Adam n Eve had no other child n right there n den Cain told God that he shouldn't send him away that the people living on the other side will kill him.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 5:08am On Mar 19, 2018
THE QUESTION BELIEVERS CAN'T ANSWER

Ask a person why they believe in God and they will probably give you a reason.

Then ask them:

1. If they believed before they discovered the reason given. They did*.

2. If they would stop believing if their reason could be shown to be invalid. They won't*.

There is only one conclusion you can draw from these responses--the believer has not given the true reasons they believe. So repeat your question, "Why do you believe in God?"

The most common answer at this point is, "F**k off!"

*With very few exceptions.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 4:52am On Mar 20, 2018
The account of the origin of the universe given in the Bible would embarrass the naive, the gullible, the minimally educated and many infants.
But not some Christians, apparently.

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 7:27am On Mar 25, 2018
IT'S TRUE, THERE ARE GODS

There are gods. Not God, but gods. There are a lot of them. And one of them knows one of us better than any human knows us--better than our brothers, our parents, our best friend or our most intimate lover. That god knows what we really think about everything; our desires, our passions, our fears and the darkest secrets that we reveal to no-one.

We know our gods too. We know them as well as they know us. And this closeness is what makes gods so reassuring and comforting. It couldn't be any other way and it couldn't be more obvious.

Many people like to believe their god is in charge but it's not really like that. Think of it more like dancing partners but we lead and they follow. We stay in perfect step most of the time but, occasionally, one of us puts a foot wrong.

We are this close to gods because they are part of us. They reside in our minds. They were born there, they live there and, when we die, they will die with us.

Gods are given different names in different cultures. Whatever, name you give your god, I prefer the term, alter ego.

2 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 11:58am On Mar 26, 2018
Olatunde Olayinka Ayinde

Someone was trying to save my soul via guilt. So he asked: my brother, where will you spend eternity? So I proceeded to give him a short lecture.

There are several options of where and how to spend eternity, as documented and believed by millions of people, each option as legitimate and as deeply emotionally held as the next one. I could be reincarnated as an earthworm, for being a troublesome human, according to the Buddhists and the adherents of Jainism and Sikhism. I could end up in front of Osiris, where my heart would be weighed for judgement in preparation for the underworld. Or I could end up in Valhalla, the Great Hall of Warriors... Or end up at the right hand of Yahweh, singing haleluyah to cymbals and trumpets forever. Or better still, I could end up in the bosom of 72 virgins with nipples like double turrets.

You see, there are literally thousands of options. Only one of these options do we have abundant evidence for: you will die and decay. The atoms that make up your erstwhile body will be recycled again to become components of plants and animals and other inanimate objects. In about a few billion years, when the sun is done with its career, it will die in grand style and all its planets with it, to become the raw materials for new stars and galaxies, and the rest of the universe. From stars you came, to stars you shall return. Shine brightly while you still have the time to shine.

Evangelism over. Brother was more confused than when he started. That cocksure certainty of the evangelist had vanished like water vapour. Brother was only aware of The Hallelujah Place. The sad result of reading just one book and carrying about arrogant ignorance.

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 7:10pm On Apr 02, 2018
GOD'S CREATURES PROVE GOD

My friend: "Joe, God can't be seen, can't be touched, is in no particular place and is not substance or matter in any form but we know God exists through the creatures he created."

Joe: "You start by saying things we can both agree with. The god you believe in:

- Is invisible
- Cannot be felt
- Is in no particular place
- Is not made of matter

You will notice that these properties of your god are also properties of things that do not exist at all.

It is true there are things that exist that cannot be seen or felt but we do not know it is possible for intelligence to be in no particular place and all intelligence we have ever observed results from matter organised in a complex way. How could nothing have intelligence?

How could nothing be organised? We have no idea.
In defining your god in this way, you set yourself a difficult task. Not only does your god have all the properties of things that do not exist--it has properties that should make it impossible to exist!

This does not prove your god does not exist but it makes it something we should be EXTREMELY sceptical about--we need very clear evidence to be convinced such a being exists outside of fiction.

Your evidence is that "we know God exists through the creatures he created." Let's examine that logic.

We know creatures exist but we don't know how the very first self-reproducing thing came to exist. What are the possible causes?

Half a dozen, as yet unproven, natural mechanisms have been proposed. Maybe one of these will be shown to be true, or maybe another mechanism, as yet not proposed, will be shown to be true. We don't know. We will have to wait to find out.

You have proposed a supernatural mechanism. You have proposed an invisible, undetectable, made-of- nothing mechanism.

So, when thinking about the cause of the first self-replicators, we have some options to chose from. Honestly, we do not yet know which one really was responsible, so what should we believe right now? There is only one rational conclusion--we do not yet know which mechanism was responsible.

You reject the rational conclusion. You confidently believe an invisible, undetectable, made-of-nothing mechanism was responsible and that is a completely unwarranted conclusion.

There is something else you should think about. All the natural mechanisms proposed are based on chemical processes that we can replicate and we know work. Your proposed mechanism is based on an invisible, undetectable, made-of-nothing being that we do not know exists and may even be impossible to exist."

4 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 7:22am On Apr 09, 2018
HOW DO YOU LIKE YOUR EVIDENCE?

When the experts say the universe as we know it had a beginning, theists happily agree and say, "Science proves there must be god to start everything!"

When experts say life evolved gradually over several billion years, theists angrily disagree and say, "It's a conspiracy", "There is no evidence" or "My granddaddy was no ape."

The funny thing is, there is pretty good evidence for the Big Bang event but there is much, much more evidence for evolution.

So how do theists like their evidence? They like it when it supports their delusions. But not when it doesn't.

3 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by ramonchang(m): 7:18am On Apr 10, 2018
I HAVE BEEN THINKING

..on whether to be a christian so i can have eternal communion with our lord jesus christ, or to be a zoroastrian so I can be escorted to the house of song by beautiful maidens or to be....err but those are rather boring I ll go for Islam!! Why?
I want to have eternal erectionnnn grin and I love virgins!!..72..or is it 77 of them... With rounded firm breasts. That sounds like fun yea¿

2 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 7:05am On Apr 13, 2018
ramonchang:
I HAVE BEEN THINKING

..on whether to be a christian so i can have eternal communion with our lord jesus christ, or to be a zoroastrian so I can be escorted to the house of song by beautiful maidens or to be....err but those are rather boring I ll go for Islam!! Why?
I want to have eternal erectionnnn grin and I love virgins!!..72..or is it 77 of them... With rounded firm breasts. That sounds like fun yea¿

Well...virgins are boring. You want to enjoy mind-blowing s3x from your arrival at Jannah Firdaus.

I would say your best bet at fun is Jahannam (Hell in Arabic). The best of the best people will be there, from all works of life. If it's s3x you want, you will have it unhindered. And there won't be STDs. What can be more fun?
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 7:10am On Apr 13, 2018
GOD AND LOVE

You have known Jesus for years, felt his closeness and love, asked for advice and received it, asked for favours and received them, and you truly felt he was the only person in the world you could completely depend upon. Perhaps there have been times when you have loved Jesus more than you love yourself.

After all that, it must be very hard when you realise all those feelings were only feelings--nothing more. Your brain gave you what you wanted and, if you had been born in Mumbai, your brain would have given you the very same feelings but focused on a different hero, perhaps Vishnu or another god or goddess.

In this human love affair with gods, gods are not the constants, our deceptive and needy brains are the constants. Gods change with time and place.

Human brains remain the same.

2 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 5:48pm On Apr 15, 2018
STRANGER THAN WE CAN YET IMAGINE

If we assume for a moment that there is only one universe and the universe is everything that exists, there are two possibilities; either 1) everything has always existed or 2) everything came to exist from nothing. Both options are extraordinary and hard to believe.
How could everything never begin to exist? I have no clue.

How could nothing exist and become everything? I have no clue.

People sometimes say the Big Bang means the universe began to exist but that is not necessarily true. It is only true that the universe, as we understand it today, began to exist. What existed prior to the start of the Big Bang science cannot yet tell us. So we cannot be sure the Big Bang was a creation event--it might have been only a transformation event.

But, perhaps there is a third option. Perhaps the universe does not exist and never has. Perhaps the universe is not really particles and forces but is information. Think of it as equations. If we have nothing, we could equally say we have -100% and +100% and we still have nothing.
If we are part of the positive 100% it would appear that things exist but everything we perceive; particles, mass, motion and so on could just be an interpretation of complex equations.

This idea is bizarre but think about artificial intelligence. Soon our cars will be driven by computers. These computers receive electrical inputs and convert them into equations and the equations represent roads, vehicles, pedestrians, velocities and so on. The only thing that exists inside these computers is information, yet it is capable of creating a world so real, you will trust it with your life. Maybe the entire universe, works in a similar way?

A handful of physicists, such as Seth Lloyd at MIT, are taking the idea seriously, so maybe in five or ten years we'll know if it has any merit. In the meantime, my advice is to keep your mind open.

The nature of reality and the origins of the universe will not just be strange, they will likely be stranger than we can yet imagine.

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by ramonchang(m): 6:24pm On Apr 19, 2018
[quote author=joseph1013 post=66667083]

Well...virgins are boring. You want to enjoy mind-blowing s3x from your arrival at Jannah Firdaus.

I would say your best bet at fun is Jahannam (Hell in Arabic). The best of the best people will be there, from all works of life. If it's s3x you want, you will have it unhindered. And there won't be STDs. What can be more fun?
[/quote

Lol..the s3x is gono be steamy n hot just like hell!!
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by ramonchang(m): 6:29pm On Apr 19, 2018
Joseph i ll like to know your view on this... I think that evolution is responsible for increase complexities among species
But whether it is responsible for creating new species, i feel it's debatable.
If you ask me i think evolution is just a part of what origin of creation is.
What do you think¿
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 2:45pm On Apr 22, 2018
ramonchang:
Joseph i ll like to know your view on this... I think that evolution is responsible for increase complexities among species
But whether it is responsible for creating new species, i feel it's debatable.
If you ask me i think evolution is just a part of what origin of creation is.
What do you think¿

First of all, the earth is 4.5 billions years old. That, my friend, is a very long time ago. That is enough time for new species to be created. Just yesterday, I read that the diving for food has led the Bajau to evolve special characteristics, according to researchers.

I am of the school of thought that life is complex and we've not learnt all that can be learnt about, but I also think that for now, evolution has provided us with enough evidence to strongly consider.

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 3:22pm On Apr 22, 2018
GOD DID THIS AND GOD DID THAT

Billions of people believe in God because they believe God did something. That something may have been as extraordinary as creating the universe from nothing; as complex as creating humans; as caring as healing a sick child, or as helpful as finding a parking space in a crowded lot.

But did these people SEE God do these things? Did God explain HOW he did what he did? Were there any witnesses? Did God leave any evidence that unequivocally tied him to these acts?

Of course, the answer to all these questions is always the same. It is always NO. There is never anything at all that links God to the event.

Even if you prayed for something to happen and it happened, that does not mean God made it happen-- there are always other possible explanations. Even if you can't think of an explanation, there may be an explanation that you are unaware of.

So when you think God did something, you have only an hypothesis, and no sensible person believes an hypothesis until it is shown to be true. But that hypothesis has never, ever been shown to be true, which is why I don't believe God did anything at all.

And neither should you.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 8:25am On Apr 24, 2018
WHY MUSLIMS, WHY?

When Muslims emigrate from an Islamic country of birth, why do they choose to go to a country that will constantly offend them? Why go to a country that allows women to dress as they please, or protects the rights of gay people by law, or allows alcohol and pork to be sold everywhere?

Why go to countries where the people laugh at religions but love dogs and keep them as treasured pets? Why go to countries where hitting your wife or forcing her to have sex are criminal offences and where women are given the same rights as men?

There are many Islamic countries a Muslim family could emigrate to where they would feel comfortable with the culture. But very, very few Muslims choose Islamic countries. Why?

PS Obviously, here I am thinking about Muslims who freely chose to emigrate--not to refugees who relocate under duress.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 8:09am On Apr 26, 2018
HUMAN SACRIFICE

Human and animal sacrifice were once common features of religious ceremonies and were widespread around the globe. Human sacrificial offering has almost entirely died out during the past three thousand years (although ceremonial slaughter of animals is still practised by some religions).

One religion, though not calling for human sacrifice, continues to glorify it to this day. That religion is Christianity.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 12:55pm On Apr 27, 2018
IF GOD WAS REAL...

If God was real, could answer prayers and cared about human well-being, nothing would be impossible.

There would be no incurable illnesses and congenital defects would be reversible. Amputees could be restored.

Droughts and famines, earthquake, tornadoes, tsunamis and volcanoes could be stopped before anyone died. Locust swarms could be diverted from vital crops.

Defective airplanes could crash-land without harming people and African football teams would win every world cup.

If God answered prayers, even death itself would be reversible.

In fact, none of these things happen. So God is not real, or can't answer prayers or doesn't wish to. But the Bible promises he WILL answer prayers and assures us that he has incalculable LOVE for us.

So that only leaves one option, God is not real--he's just a character in a story.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 10:37am On Apr 28, 2018
IF GOD WAS REAL, ATHEISTS WOULD NEED APOLOGISTS

If God was real, we wouldn't need apologists to explain why it is so difficult to find God or why a loving God planned so much pain and suffering for us. We wouldn't need apologists to explain why different people see God so differently and scripture would not need hermeneutics to make sense.

If God was real, it would be SO OBVIOUS that biologists would need apologists to explain why all the evidence points to creation; atheists would need apologists to explain why the godly enjoy long lives and abundant benefits whilst non-believers get nothing. Atheists would need apologists to explain how we have learned so much about the universe from a book written thousands of years ago.

But it is not like that. All the evidence falsifies creation. Human apologists are needed to defend almighty God because he cannot defend himself and scripture looks exactly what it is--the musings of superstitious Iron Age folk.

If you believe in God, nothing makes sense without invoking magic. If you don't believe, everything makes sense and no magic is required.

You need magic to believe lies but not to find reality.

2 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 5:17pm On Apr 29, 2018
Nwobodo Chukwuemeka

I think it says a lot about Christian psychology that a large number are upset rather than relieved by (what has now been confirmed as fake news) that the Pope said that there's no Hell.

Like the integrity of their religion depends on the illusion of punishment for those who do not adhere to its tenets.

How else will they scare you into conformity without the allusions of torment in hell?

I worry that there's a literal schadenfreude at the thought that an "unbeliever" is going to burn for eternity simply because he doesn't conform to the same set of tales they do.
"Let me speak some words so that it appears that I'm trying to save him. If I don't succeed and he burns forever, at least I tried."

But ask yourself. What kind of person would be content sitting in comfort while someone they loved, a mother, father, child etc was in constant pain. How many can bear the thought on Earth? A child with terminal cancer for 2 years? A parent's slow and painful degradation due to old age.
The Hell in Christian literature is eternal though.
Why does it not bother these people then?

How do the Jews even keep their followers in Judaism without the concept of hell?
And if Judaism is Christianity's precursor religion, does that mean that somewhere in between the religions, someone was like "man, if you want this thing to sell, you've gotta make people afraid. Tell them they'll burn forever if they don't believe you"...

Cos if it was, it's a killer campaign... Literally!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 8:34pm On Apr 30, 2018
The Top Five Misconceptions About Evolution

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 8:41pm On Apr 30, 2018

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 8:41pm On Apr 30, 2018

(1) (2) (3) ... (68) (69) (70) (71) (72) (73) (74) ... (130) (Reply)

Jesus is coming soon. This thread is for faithful watchmen / Scandal: Pastor Chris Oyakhilome In South African Trouble! / Rhapsody Of Realities: A Daily Devotional

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 130
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.