Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,304 members, 7,819,035 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:19 AM

My Thoughts And Questions About Religion - Religion (72) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / My Thoughts And Questions About Religion (230713 Views)

Questions About Religion For The Deep Thinker / Why Are Atheists Always Talking About Religion / Questions About Demon Possession - Nairaland Demonology Experts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (69) (70) (71) (72) (73) (74) (75) ... (130) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 8:42pm On Apr 30, 2018

2 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 8:43pm On Apr 30, 2018
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Elparaiso(m): 11:11pm On May 13, 2018
Hey Joseph, are you still there?
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 12:11pm On May 16, 2018
WHAT DO THESE PEOPLE HAVE IN COMMON?

Noah
Job
Isaac
Jacob
Joshua
Samuel
David
Solomon
Isaiah
Pat Robertson
Harold Camping
Ken Ham
Ray Comfort

ANSWER: They have claimed God has spoken to them directly.

Think about it.

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 12:11pm On May 16, 2018
Elparaiso:
Hey Joseph, are you still there?
smiley smiley smiley
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 6:24pm On May 17, 2018
YOU AND REALITY

If you hold beliefs about reality based on chance (your family and where you were born) remember there are INFINITELY more ways to be wrong about reality than there are to be right. And that makes chance a HOPELESSLY unreliable guide.

Fortunately, there are MUCH better ways than chance to distinguish truth from fantasy. But they won't help you at all--until you decide to use them.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 7:12am On May 18, 2018
RIDICULOUSNESS OF HINDUISM

Religions seem to thrive on the most ridiculous beliefs. Christians and Muslims believe in life after death.

With zero evidence that this is true and plenty of evidence that brain death is final and permanent, this can be fairly counted as ridiculous.

But don't forget Hindus. Those who believe in reincarnation go one step further, they believe in life before birth!

Damn.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 8:18pm On May 21, 2018
ATHEISTS, TAKE OFF YOUR BLINDERS!

Stupid atheists. They deny the existence of God in the face of overwhelming evidence.

How could tides come in and go out without God? Do you really think billions of tonnes of water could just "decide" to move a few dozen metres daily and in a perfect rhythm all on its own?

What about earthquakes? Do buildings have a meeting and agree to start shaking at an exact time?

No, these things require INTELLIGENCE and there is only one intelligence with the power to make such things happen--Guru Maharaji himself of course!

PS: If you think this argument is ridiculous, it is. But it is identical in form to the most common argument offered by god-believers--creation of the universe and human beings required intelligence, therefore an intelligent god must exist (whichever god you happen to believe in).

The difference is we have now have natural explanations for earthquakes and tides but we have yet to explain the origins of the universe and abiogenesis.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 7:01am On May 23, 2018
ISAAC NEWTON WAS A CHRISTIAN

Isaac Newton was one of the greatest scientists in history. He is best known for his mathematical description of gravity and its application to our solar system. This work fundamentally changed our view of the universe and laid the theoretical foundations for space travel a couple of hundred years after his death.

Newton's long list of achievements include seminal work on optics, classical mechanics and the invention of calculus. And he completed much of his fundamental thinking on these topics before he turned 25!

Newton's brilliance is not lost on Christians--they regularly turn up to remind me that Newton was a Christian. They ask, if Newton thought Christianity was true, who are you to doubt it?

Ignoring the appeal to authority fallacy, I'm not sure these Christians have really thought this through...Newton was so brilliant that he developed his most enduring scientific ideas in a few years but he spent most of his life working on two other projects. He was convinced God had hidden codes in the Bible that would reveal important truths to mankind and he was determined to find them. He also spent a huge amount of time on alchemy--attempting to turn base metals into gold. Despite Newton's brilliance, he was unsuccessful with either project.

This makes Newton a two-edged sword for Christians. This extraordinary genius failed to find any deep truths in Christianity and he laboured for years on a chemistry project that was doomed to fail.

If Newton illustrates anything for Christians, it's how difficult it is to find any deep truths in Christianity!

3 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 8:44am On May 23, 2018
From Quora: What's a popular belief you'll never understand?
Answer by John Ottenhoff:

Religion. I just don’t get.

I tried. I read about many religions, their mythology, and their beliefs. I attended many different kind of churches. I discussed theology with religious scholars. I requested to examine the scientific evidence. No matter what I did, I was disappointed to find there was not one logical reason that points to any religion being more true than any other religion. That is to say, at their core, their credibility is all equally zero.

I understand meeting people and singing songs with them can be a fun social activity. I understand people have warm family memories centered around the church and it’s activities. I understand people are inspired and uplifted by the stories when facing dark times in their lives. It’s the belief in the supernatural that mystifies me.

Here we have otherwise normal, intelligent, reasonable people, that without any evidence, in defiance of the laws of physics, and contrary to reason, will believe in incredible flights of fancy involving supernatural beings and acts of magic. They believe that supernatural creatures are watching them and doing things for them. They have rituals where they implore the beings to act on their behalf. They have to do strange things or not do ordinary things to appease the beings. These same people will scoff at stories of Bigfoot, readily dismiss Zeus and his crew as primitive explanation for natural phenomena, know Santa Claus only exists as an idea, enjoy fairy tales as just stories for children, see religions from other cultures as bizarre and silly, and insist their religion is obvious and self-evident.

To me, it only makes sense as a kind of Stockholm Syndrome. It’s like all those warm feelings and good memories they have are being held hostage by the religion. It seems as if religious people feel they have to accept all these fantastic invisible characters and miracles as real or they lose all those other things associated with it—community, family, memories, camaraderie, comfort and so on. I never felt that way myself.

It is a complete mystery to me how to explain it any other way. Every religion I have seen just seems like a collection of quaint little rituals that should not be taken literally. Like seeing if the groundhog sees his shadow. Imagine finding out there are people who really believe that and make huge buildings, fight over nuances in lore, and spend the majority of their lives venerating Punxsutawney Phil. It feels like that.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 7:17am On May 24, 2018
CHRISTIANS, HOW MANY GODS ARE THERE?

Psalm 82 is an enigma for Christians. It describes God admonishing a council of gods. Yes, a COUNCIL of GODS!

Most Christians believe there is only one god, albeit morphed into a three-headed monster, but the Bible says differently. The Bible refers to over 40 gods by name. Examples are Asherah, Baal and Moloch.

God reiterates several times that people should reject other gods and worship only him--it is even the very first of God's Ten Commandments.
In the early parts of the Old Testament God sometimes uses the collective pronoun "we", is this a figure of speech or is he referring to himself and the other gods? The Hebrews were heavily influenced by the Canaanite pantheon of gods, indeed some scholars argue Yahweh was modeled on the Canaanite god El, so it would not be surprising to find they accepted the existence of many gods.

Here's the psalm so you can make up your own mind.

1 God stands among the divine council;
He renders judgment among the gods.

2 “How long will you all judge unjustly
and accept partiality of the wicked? Selah

3 Defend the poor and fatherless;
vindicate the afflicted and needy.

4 Grant escape to the abused and the destitute,
pluck them out of the hand of the false.

5 “They have neither knowledge nor understanding;
they walk in darkness:
all the foundations of the earth are shaken.”

6 I have said, “You are gods,
sons of the Most High, all of you,

7 but you all shall die like men,
and fall like a man, O princes.”

8 Arise, O God, judge the earth,
for You shall inherit all nations.

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Lamiri(m): 7:55am On May 24, 2018
malvisguy212:
those who died before the coming of jesus are judge base on there work, the book of revelation made this clear.
what of our great grandfathers that worshipped ogun and sango before the white men came,note that they were not bad people.

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Prumartmedical: 9:54pm On May 24, 2018
Do you want to know God more and do you want to learn more about Kingdom Principles. Please click on the link below to get added to our Whatsapp group: Whatsapp for Christ.
You can contact/whatsapp me on +27630083342 to manually add you.
God bless you.

https:///4L9DyVtzUGQE7zQOhhDMN8

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 6:57am On May 25, 2018
ONLY ONE REASON PEOPLE BELIEVE IN GOD

How many reasons are there why people believe in God?

Actually, only one. People believe because someone told them God is real. That's it.

Everything else is saving face.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 3:03pm On May 27, 2018
ATHEISTS BELIEVE IN NOTHING!

Why do religious people so often think atheists believe in nothing and stand for nothing? They could not be more wrong.

I stand for believing only things that are true.

I stand for equal rights, equal opportunities and non-discrimination on grounds of race, gender, sexual orientation, religious beliefs, age, disability and more.

I believe in treating my fellow humans with respect and preserving their dignity. I like to help people where I reasonably can and I dislike harming people. I even try hard to avoid inconveniencing people--so you won't find me playing loud music that disturbs my neighbours or pushing to the front of queues. But you will see me stopping in my car to let other cars pass when traffic is heavy.

I believe it is important to be tolerant of differences in lifestyles, dress codes and so on, so long as no-one is being harmed.

I believe we should take care of the planet and pass it on to our children in the best possible and sustainable condition.

Rather than dominion over animals as the Bible teaches, I believe we have a duty of care for animals.

I stand for rational enquiry and an evidence-based approach to medicine, education and government policy-making--in fact for everything. I could go on...

Rather than standing for nothing, I may stand for more than most religious people. All atheists are different but, I think many of them share my values.

I wish more religious people did.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 7:26am On Jun 01, 2018
WHAT ATHEISTS KNOW THAT BELIEVERS DON'T

If you are a lifelong god-believer, be aware that atheists know some things you don't know. In fact, they know a lot of things you don't know.

They know what it is like to:

- not believe in God.
- not believe in Satan (or angels, demons or witches).
- not believe they are being watched 24/7.
- not ever worry about what happens after they die.
- not to be forced to make excuses for an Iron Age god with Iron Age morals.
- never be compelled to rely on faith to believe things that are otherwise ridiculous.
- never feel guilty for doing harmless things that are outlawed by an out-of-date god.
- feel no need to reject, avoid or hate certain people because God said we should.
- take full responsibility for their actions without blaming Satan or demons.

Let's not forget one more thing. Most atheists I know were once deeply religious, so they also know how it feels to be like you.

And they know which they prefer.

7 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 11:27am On Jun 02, 2018
IT'S NOT FAIR--STOP MOCKING US!

A theist recently complained that I mock religious views. She said, "You're entitled to your beliefs but I find it strange that if you don't want people mocking yours that you spent so much time mocking other people." Here is my reply:

I would be delighted if you would mock my beliefs. Have a ball! We need more fun in the world. People taking their beliefs too seriously leads to much tragedy and sadness.

Just one thing though--make sure you know what I believe before you start mocking. I rarely talk about my beliefs and not believing in a god is not a belief (the clue is in the words--not believing).

So I'll give you one of my beliefs to start you off. I believe electric, self-driving cars will become ubiquitous over the next 25 years or so. They will make our roads safer, reduce our dependence on fossil fuels and spawn whole new industries (as well as shaking up old ones).

Now, I'll sit back and await your mockery. Problem is, this belief is just not as funny as believing a Jewish Rabbi who died 2,000 years ago will soon come back to life. Or believing there's an invisible man who wants all men to cut off their foreskins and watches everyone take a shit.

7 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by ramonchang(m): 7:33pm On Jun 02, 2018
joseph1013:
IT'S NOT FAIR--STOP MOCKING US!

A theist recently complained that I mock religious views. She said, "You're entitled to your beliefs but I find it strange that if you don't want people mocking yours that you spent so much time mocking other people." Here is my reply:

I would be delighted if you would mock my beliefs. Have a ball! We need more fun in the world. People taking their beliefs too seriously leads to much tragedy and sadness.

Just one thing though--make sure you know what I believe before you start mocking. I rarely talk about my beliefs and not believing in a god is not a belief (the clue is in the words--not believing).

So I'll give you one of my beliefs to start you off. I believe electric, self-driving cars will become ubiquitous over the next 25 years or so. They will make our roads safer, reduce our dependence on fossil fuels and spawn whole new industries (as well as shaking up old ones).

Now, I'll sit back and await your mockery. Problem is, this belief is just not as funny as believing a Jewish Rabbi who died 2,000 years ago will soon come back to life. Or believing there's an invisible man who wants all men to cut off their foreskins and watches everyone take a shit.

Lol
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by ramonchang(m): 7:41pm On Jun 02, 2018
In genesis god created sun after the fourth day, how was that possible, how did the first 3 days pass
Goddidit!! grin

2 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 6:44am On Jun 05, 2018
ATHEISTS MUST BE MAD

Religious people frequently express bewildered incredulity that atheists could believe the universe and/or self-replicating organisms could have come into existence by pure chance. They regard this belief as madness or wilful ignorance. Or both.

Well religious people, I have good news. You don't have to worry about the sanity of atheists after all because they do NOT believe the universe and/or self-replicating organisms came into being by pure random chance. Atheists (many of them, at least) say we should not believe anything until there is good confirmatory evidence.

The origin of the universe and the origin of self-replicating organisms are both hard questions to study.

They are hard because they occurred a long time ago (we weren't there!) and because the passage of time may have obliterated the best evidence. Stephen Hawking put this very well. He said it could be like a drunk searching for his keys under a lamp post: that may not be where he lost them, but it is the only place where he has light to find them. We can only consider the evidence we have and, right now, we do
not have enough to arrive at a conclusion.

So atheists do NOT believe the universe and/or self-replicating organisms came into being by pure chance. Atheists simply say we do not understand how these things happened.

But less erudite believers (which, unfortunately, seems to be most of them) have an immediate retort.

They say, if you don't believe God did these things you MUST believe it happened by accident.

No, no, no! That is a false dichotomy. That is to assume there are only two options; either the believer's preferred god did it or it was random chance. But there are many possible natural explanations and many possible supernatural explanations. It is also possible that there are both natural and supernatural explanations that we are not yet aware of.

In such situations, rational people keep an open mind and keep searching for more evidence. What no rational person should do is believe any earnest claim that my family's god; Fred, Brahma, Allah (or whatever) did it.

Believing such unevidenced claims really is madness.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 8:55am On Jun 07, 2018
TEN QUESTIONS EVERYONE SHOULD ASK

1 Why, after debating this for thousands of years, are we no closer to agreeing which god is real or even if there are any gods at all?

2 Why, over 500 years, has science continually ruled God out, but NEVER ruled him in?

3 Why do god believers use transparently invalid arguments to justify their beliefs?

4 Why is there not even one argument for a god that all fair-minded people can agree to?

5 Why does geography determine which god people worship and not something else, such as intelligence?

6 Why is it that less-well educated people are MORE likely to "know" God, and not less likely?

7 Why are the most prayerful countries the most deprived, and not the most successful?

8 Why do god believers indoctrinate their children instead of allowing them to decide for themselves once they've grown up?

9 Why are god believers so often certain about things they cannot possibly know are true, such as what happens after they die?

10 Why do god believers rely on faith, when faith cannot distinguish true ideas from untrue ones?

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 5:41pm On Jun 09, 2018
GOD'S MOST IMPORTANT JOB

Do you know what God's most important job was? It wasn't the creation of the universe or the creation of logic or the laws of physics. It wasn't the creation of Earth or even the creation of humans. There was something FAR more important than all these things.

Once God had created sentient beings his most important job was to save them from unnecessary suffering. Perhaps God shouldn't or couldn't save us from ALL suffering. After all, suffering helps us to learn and we may never truly appreciate joy if we never experience pain.

No, I am NOT thinking about the everyday suffering that is a part of living and dying. I am thinking about the unbearable and unending suffering that God imagined, designed and engineered for us to experience after our deaths. God's most important job is to save us from the eternal suffering of hell.

Honestly, that should not be a very demanding job, especially for a God who is omnipresent, omnipotent and omniscient. It should be a piece of cake. With my extremely limited intellect, I can work out what is required.

Everyone needs to:

1) Hear the story of Jesus.

2) Understand the consequences of not accepting Jesus as their saviour, and,

3) Be given sufficient evidence to be sure both (1) and (2) are true.

How did God go about his most important task? He revealed himself to the small and unsophisticated tribes of Israel. These were his chosen people. God revealed himself by selecting a handful of prophets and speaking to them. He made a deal with them. God would help these tribes if they would agree to follow his laws and worship him (and no other gods). The Israelites were the ONLY people God revealed
himself to.

The writings of the prophets together with the exploits of the Israelites were compiled into a book known are the Torah which was written in the obscure language of Hebrew (now often known as the Old Testament of the Bible). Oddly, no-one mentioned hell in the Torah. It was as if God hadn't thought of it at that time, or hadn't thought about how people could be saved from it.

A thousand years passed and no-one knew of God outside of a small area in the Middle East and no-one knew how to be saved. Finally, God impregnated a virgin who conceived a son. God's son became a preacher and was known as Jesus. Jesus was eventually executed, resurrected and rose to heaven.

The story of Jesus was written in Greek in a series of books by mostly unknown authors. The books were edited, redacted, expanded and changed in thousands of ways over many years. A lot of such books were discarded entirely. Those retained were compiled into a volume known as the New Testament.

Together, the Old and New Testaments formed the Bible.

Finally, the New Testament revealed that most important message--how to be saved from hell. But our problems were not over. The New Testament seemed to give contradictory advice on how to be saved.

So much so, that 2,000 years later there are some 38,000 denominations following the New Testament and one of the differences between denominations is exactly how to be saved.

The New Testament was translated into dozens of languages. This allowed the message to reach more people but also added to confusion as translations introduced their own inconsistencies.

The only evidence available to us that the Jesus story is true and we must be saved is found in the New Testament. The only evidence that God exists is found in the Bible. The Bible is filled with inconsistencies, fanciful stories and immorality so billions of people find it unconvincing as evidence for God. It is easy to read the Bible and see nothing to differentiate it from the scripture of many invented
religions.

So how well did God accomplish his most important job? There are seven billion people in the world.

Fewer than one third of them profess to be Christians. Since only Christians have any hope of being saved (according to the New Testament), at best, more than 70% of us alive today will be tortured for eternity. It could be much more than that, for we cannot be sure what proportion of Christians have done what is necessary to be saved. Perhaps, only say, 10% of Christians will be saved, leaving 97% of humanity to be tortured. No one knows.

Honestly, I could have done a better job than that given just a fraction of God's resources. Almost anyone could have. It is hard to explain God's dreadful and appalling performance at his most important job.

Either, he really WANTS to torture us or the whole story is pure fiction--there is no God and no eternal torture. What do you think?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by adoyi8: 8:01pm On Jun 09, 2018
joseph1013:
ISAAC NEWTON WAS A CHRISTIAN

I recently read stephen hawking's A brief history of time. At the end of the book he wrote about some prominent scientists such as Einstein, Galileo and Isaac Newton, What he wrote about newton was bad it makes me wonder why christians see him as their scientist hero.

Here is what he wrote:

ISAAC NEWTON
Isaac Newton was not a pleasant man. His relations with other academics were notorious, with most of his later
life spent embroiled in heated disputes. Following publication of Principia Mathematica – surely the most
influential book ever written in physics – Newton had risen rapidly into public prominence. He was appointed
president of the Royal Society and became the first scientist ever to be knighted.
Newton soon clashed with the Astronomer Royal, John Flamsteed, who had earlier provided Newton with
much-needed data for Principia, but was now withholding information that Newton wanted. Newton would not
take no for an answer: he had himself appointed to the governing body of the Royal Observatory and then tried
to force immediate publication of the data. Eventually he arranged for Flamsteed’s work to be seized and
prepared for publication by Flamsteed’s mortal enemy, Edmond Halley. But Flamsteed took the case to court
and, in the nick of time, won a court order preventing distribution of the stolen work. Newton was incensed and
sought his revenge by systematically deleting all references to Flamsteed in later editions of Principia.
A more serious dispute arose with the German philosopher Gottfried Leibniz. Both Leibniz and Newton had
independently developed a branch of mathematics called calculus, which underlies most of modern physics.
Although we now know that Newton discovered calculus years before Leibniz, he published his work much
later. A major row ensued over who had been first, with scientists vigorously defending both contenders. It is
remarkable, however, that most of the articles appearing in defense of Newton were originally written by his
own hand – and only published in the name of friends! As the row grew, Leibniz made the mistake of appealing
to the Royal Society to resolve the dispute. Newton, as president, appointed an “impartial” committee to
investigate, coincidentally consisting entirely of Newton’s friends! But that was not all: Newton then wrote the
committee’s report himself and had the Royal Society publish it, officially accusing Leibniz of plagiarism. Still
unsatisfied, he then wrote an anonymous review of the report in the Royal Society’s own periodical. Following
the death of Leibniz, Newton is reported to have declared that he had taken great satisfaction in “breaking
Leibniz’s heart.”
During the period of these two disputes, Newton had already left Cambridge and academe. He had been active
in anti-Catholic politics at Cambridge, and later in Parliament, and was rewarded eventually with the lucrative
post of Warden of the Royal Mint. Here he used his talents for deviousness and vitriol in a more socially
acceptable way, successfully conducting a major campaign against counterfeiting, even sending several men to
their death on the gallows.

2 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 7:28am On Jun 11, 2018
adoyi8:

I recently read stephen hawking's A brief history of time. At the end of the book he wrote about some prominent scientists such as Einstein, Galileo and Isaac Newton, What he wrote about newton was bad it makes me wonder why christians see him as their scientist hero.

Here is what he wrote:

ISAAC NEWTON
Isaac Newton was not a pleasant man. His relations with other academics were notorious, with most of his later
life spent embroiled in heated disputes. Following publication of Principia Mathematica – surely the most
influential book ever written in physics – Newton had risen rapidly into public prominence. He was appointed
president of the Royal Society and became the first scientist ever to be knighted.
Newton soon clashed with the Astronomer Royal, John Flamsteed, who had earlier provided Newton with
much-needed data for Principia, but was now withholding information that Newton wanted. Newton would not
take no for an answer: he had himself appointed to the governing body of the Royal Observatory and then tried
to force immediate publication of the data. Eventually he arranged for Flamsteed’s work to be seized and
prepared for publication by Flamsteed’s mortal enemy, Edmond Halley. But Flamsteed took the case to court
and, in the nick of time, won a court order preventing distribution of the stolen work. Newton was incensed and
sought his revenge by systematically deleting all references to Flamsteed in later editions of Principia.
A more serious dispute arose with the German philosopher Gottfried Leibniz. Both Leibniz and Newton had
independently developed a branch of mathematics called calculus, which underlies most of modern physics.
Although we now know that Newton discovered calculus years before Leibniz, he published his work much
later. A major row ensued over who had been first, with scientists vigorously defending both contenders. It is
remarkable, however, that most of the articles appearing in defense of Newton were originally written by his
own hand – and only published in the name of friends! As the row grew, Leibniz made the mistake of appealing
to the Royal Society to resolve the dispute. Newton, as president, appointed an “impartial” committee to
investigate, coincidentally consisting entirely of Newton’s friends! But that was not all: Newton then wrote the
committee’s report himself and had the Royal Society publish it, officially accusing Leibniz of plagiarism. Still
unsatisfied, he then wrote an anonymous review of the report in the Royal Society’s own periodical. Following
the death of Leibniz, Newton is reported to have declared that he had taken great satisfaction in “breaking
Leibniz’s heart.”
During the period of these two disputes, Newton had already left Cambridge and academe. He had been active
in anti-Catholic politics at Cambridge, and later in Parliament, and was rewarded eventually with the lucrative
post of Warden of the Royal Mint. Here he used his talents for deviousness and vitriol in a more socially
acceptable way, successfully conducting a major campaign against counterfeiting, even sending several men to
their death on the gallows.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 5:55am On Jun 13, 2018
MY BEST FRIEND THE SERIAL KILLER

If you worship God and consider him to be your best friend, you should be aware that your best friend (if he exists) is a serial killer.

I have written before about the death toll from God's own murderous acts and from the orders to kill he gave to others. Those deaths amount to around 25 million people.

But some people say, I'm not being fair. I'm only taking one side of the story. What about the kind, loving things God did? What kind, loving things God did? Here is a challenge to you. Find me a SINGLE kind, loving thing God did. Just one.

And don't say he sent his son to be a human sacrifice to himself (John 3:16), I can't count demanding a human sacrifice as a kind, loving act.

And nor can you.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Elparaiso(m): 12:26pm On Jun 13, 2018
joseph1013:
MY BEST FRIEND THE SERIAL KILLER

If you worship God and consider him to be your best friend, you should be aware that your best friend (if he exists) is a serial killer.

I have written before about the death toll from God's own murderous acts and from the orders to kill he gave to others. Those deaths amount to around 25 million people.

But some people say, I'm not being fair. I'm only taking one side of the story. What about the kind, loving things God did? What kind, loving things God did? Here is a challenge to you. Find me a SINGLE kind, loving thing God did. Just one.

And don't say he sent his son to be a human sacrifice to himself (John 3:16), I can't count demanding a human sacrifice as a kind, loving act.

And nor can you.

You know, if you forget his omnipotence and omnipresence for a second, he helped Moses heal the Israelites when snakes bit them.

You'll also have to forget that he sent the venomous snakes in the first place, but it's all good.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 1:21pm On Jun 14, 2018
Elparaiso:

You know, if you forget his omnipotence and omnipresence for a second, he helped Moses heal the Israelites when snakes bit them.

You'll also have to forget that he sent the venomous snakes in the first place, but it's all good.
grin grin grin
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 1:22pm On Jun 14, 2018
I love it when Christians say God does not compel anyone to believe in him. Yet they simultaneously accept that people who do not believe in God will be tortured without mercy or end.

What is it they don't understand about the word 'compel'?

This is like saying a man who pointed a gun at you demanding your wallet did not compel you to give him your money!

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 8:25am On Jun 15, 2018
Saudi Arabia's record at the World Cup

1998- France 4-0 Saudi
2002- Germany 8-0 Saudi
2002- Ireland 3-0 Saudi
2006- Ukraine 4-0 Saudi
2018- Russia 5-0 Saudi

It's not by Allah's power but adequate preparation.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by CAPSLOCKED: 4:30pm On Jun 15, 2018
joseph1013:
Hi friends, I don't even know if I can follow through with this and continue infinitely like I would love to do.

BEEN FOLLOWING SINCE DAY ONE BUT NEVER HAD THE CHANCE TO READ THROUGH.. 2000+ POSTS AND STILL COUNTING, WHEN WILL I FINISH READING IF I START NEXT MONTH? cheesy

YOU'VE DONE GOOD HERE BTW.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by CAPSLOCKED: 7:27pm On Jun 15, 2018
joseph1013:

One of the many interesting things about theists is their many assumptions of atheists. Like they do about almost things, they think they know all the reasons atheists do what they do, EXCEPT the reasons atheists themselves give.

Why should we seek the validation of religionists? And how does religion leave a vacuum. You have no idea the freedom being without appealing to a Sky-daddy gives.

I can experience the wonder of studying the strata of the earth, fossils, the evolutionary tree, the coalescing of interstellar dust into stars and planets, and human and animal psychology. I can delight in how the pieces of the puzzle fit together, rather than attributing it all to a magical creation event, which, in its attempt to explain everything, explains only what God did in his inscrutable ways, not how or why he might have done it.

It's fascinating and gratifying to explore why we are plagued with parasites, why men are more eager to have sex than women, why men are more prone to violence than women, why babies have a grasping instinct, why we have toenails, why we crave sweet and fatty foods and become obese, why we gossip, why trees bear fruit, why attractive and fragrant flowers exist, why birds sing, and why there are so many human languages.

Pondering the evolutionary underpinnings of these phenomena is far more satisfying than reading about a talking serpent in a garden or about the Tower of Babel or hearing, "That's just the way God made it." Perhaps it's due to my inquisitive nature, but I've always been more fascinated by "why" and "how" questions than "what" questions.

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by CAPSLOCKED: 8:42am On Jun 16, 2018
joseph1013:

What does the Qur'an say about this? 18:86 says, "Until, when he reached the setting place of the sun, he found it setting in a spring of black muddy (or hot) water. And he found near it a people."

The Qur'an says the sun travels around the Earth and spends it's nights resting in muddy water on Earth.

The Qur'an tells us the stars and galaxies are lamps in the LOWEST heaven, placed there because they look nice and to protect the Earth against devils.

if there is a God who created the universe, it is unthinkable that he could have made such elementary errors. These errors show categorically that no God was involved in the writing of the Qur'an.

LOL..
IF MUHAMMAD HAD CLAIMED THE SUN SETS IN HIS POCKETS 21ST CENTURY ĮDIOTS WOULD ARGUE IT IS TRUE. cheesy

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (69) (70) (71) (72) (73) (74) (75) ... (130) (Reply)

Jesus is coming soon. This thread is for faithful watchmen / Scandal: Pastor Chris Oyakhilome In South African Trouble! / Rhapsody Of Realities: A Daily Devotional

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.