Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,461 members, 7,816,082 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:17 AM

My Thoughts And Questions About Religion - Religion (89) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / My Thoughts And Questions About Religion (230168 Views)

Questions About Religion For The Deep Thinker / Why Are Atheists Always Talking About Religion / Questions About Demon Possession - Nairaland Demonology Experts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (86) (87) (88) (89) (90) (91) (92) ... (130) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by 9inches(m): 6:11am On Jan 06, 2019
HellVictorinho:

Existential Constant=Forming of Existence=Actualization of Solar System=Characterization of Solar System=Occurrence of Chemical Properties, Biological Systems, Physical Quantities=Nature.
Please explain the origin of the "Existential Constant."
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by 9inches(m): 6:18am On Jan 06, 2019
LordReed:

So feelings is your evidence of god?
From which of the three approaches did you get that?
1. The argument from desire
2. The objective intelligibility of the world
3. The argument from contingency.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Nobody: 8:45am On Jan 06, 2019
9inches:
Please explain the origin of the "Existential Constant."
The Constant of Existentiality is an Ever-existing Phenomenon that keeps the Ever-occurring 'Forming of Existence' in Actuality.
This is the reason why In-Existence is Ever-impossible.
There has never been a period when 'Forms of Existence' weren't occurring.
The 'Forms of Existence' occur at ANYTIME.
We use words like beginning/end due to limitations.
We are able to calculate our TIME because of observable limits such as the Distance/Speed/Height/Velocity, etc in this planet.
We are also able to determine our TIME because of observable limits as regards the movement/position of the Earth in the Solar System.
But the Earth is a Form of Existence that wouldn't have been except for the Occurrence of the Solar System.
Lastly, The Forms of Existence are acting upon themselves timelessly in order for the Determination of Characterization to occur timelessly.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by LordReed(m): 9:52am On Jan 06, 2019
9inches:

one of my favorites is the approach that begins with desire.

So that's one approach to God beginning with our own deep desire.

“I felt a gratitude that was so enormous that I knew it would correspond to nothing in this world.” There was nothing/nobody in this world she could possibly thank that would correspond to the gratitude she was feeling. That's it! that's exactly it! What she was sensing was “God!
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by LordReed(m): 11:46am On Jan 06, 2019
9inches:
1. The argument from desire
2. The objective intelligibility of the world
3. The argument from contingency.

You edited your post. Lemme make my statement a little more clear, the above arguments are all based on an appeal to intuition aka gut feeling.

1. Since we seem to feel the need for high ideals we intuit that a god is out there with those ideals.

2. Since the world is intelligible we intuit it was made by an intelligence.

3. We intuit that the universe is not purposeless therefore a god did it.

All of it summed up by an example of a personal feeling of profundity giving rise to an intuition of a god.

This is what you are presenting as evidence for a god?
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by 9inches(m): 4:19pm On Jan 06, 2019
HellVictorinho:

The Constant of Existentiality is an Ever-existing Phenomenon that keeps the Ever-occurring 'Forming of Existence' in Actuality.
Gbam! You are there! We only differ in terms of the name/term we call the same phenomenon.

This is the reason why In-Existence is Ever-impossible.
There has never been a period when 'Forms of Existence' weren't occurring.
The 'Forms of Existence' occur at ANYTIME.
We use words like beginning/end due to limitations.
We are able to calculate our TIME because of observable limits such as the Distance/Speed/Height/Velocity, etc in this planet.
We are also able to determine our TIME because of observable limits as regards the movement/position of the Earth in the Solar System.
But the Earth is a Form of Existence that wouldn't have been except for the Occurrence of the Solar System.
Lastly, The Forms of Existence are acting upon themselves timelessly in order for the Determination of Characterization to occur timelessly.
I couldn't agree more!
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Nobody: 4:41pm On Jan 06, 2019
9inches:

Gbam! You are there! We only differ in terms of the name/term we call the same phenomenon.

I couldn't agree more!
And I hope you know this phenomenon can't be personified.
It Functions but it doesn't intend/think.
What you call 'Intelligence' is just one of your features as a human being.
No human lacks intelligence.
Animals are lower because they lack this intelligence.
There is no intelligence/purpose behind 'Existence'.
Man is an expression of pre-determined absurdity.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by 9inches(m): 4:58pm On Jan 06, 2019
LordReed:

“I felt a gratitude that was so enormous that I knew it would correspond to nothing in this world.” There was nothing/nobody in this world she could possibly thank that would correspond to the gratitude she was feeling. That's it! that's exactly it! What she was sensing was “God!
Right. Cool. Although that's not the main explanation but an example. Still okay, I'm sure you got the context.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by 9inches(m): 5:09pm On Jan 06, 2019
LordReed:

You edited your post. Lemme make my statement a little more clear, the above arguments are all based on an appeal to intuition aka gut feeling.

1. Since we seem to feel the need for high ideals we intuit that a god is out there with those ideals.

All of it summed up by an example of a personal feeling of profundity giving rise to an intuition of a god.

Right. Don't get carried away by the term "God", reason would still lead you to the same essence of a "being" of some sort, or a phenomenon, as HellVictorinho termed it. Some people get all worked up and triggered when the term God is used.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Nobody: 5:23pm On Jan 06, 2019
LordReed:

You don't have to continue asking them questions they can't answer.
The fact is that no being with any mind or form is responsible or has any purpose for Existence.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by LordReed(m): 6:08pm On Jan 06, 2019
9inches:

Right. Don't get carried away by the term "God", reason would still lead you to the same essence of a "being" of some sort, or a phenomenon, as HellVictorinho termed it. Some people get all worked and triggered when the term God is used.

I am comfortable with any name you choose to use. However I am not convinced any such being have been shown to exist.

The thing about intuition is that it has been shown to be unreliable as a way of establishing truth. We used to intuit a pantheon of gods controlling nature, now shown to be wrong. How then can we rely on it to show any such being?

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by LordReed(m): 6:11pm On Jan 06, 2019
HellVictorinho:

You don't have to continue asking them questions they can't answer.
The fact is that no being with any mind or form is responsible or has any purpose for Existence.

I guess I am sort of slightly agnostic on the subject even though my hope of being convinced diminishes by the minute.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Nobody: 6:14pm On Jan 06, 2019
LordReed:

I am comfortable with any name you choose to use. However I am not convinced any such being have been shown to exist.

The thing about intuition is that it has been shown to be unreliable as a way of establishing truth. We used to intuit a pantheon of gods controlling nature, now shown to be wrong. How then can we rely on it to show any such being?
Don't mind him.
He calls the 'Existential Constant' a being.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by 9inches(m): 6:25pm On Jan 06, 2019
LordReed:

Sorry, I was in a rush and did not notice you cut the last part of the quote. The full expression was "God! this world, myself, my child… none of it has to be here, yet it's here.” The "God" part was an expression of emotion or emphasis. My original post was "Gawd", then I modified with "God", and then removed the expression... I realized from the beginning it could be easily misconstrued.

I hope you understand it now.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by 9inches(m): 6:46pm On Jan 06, 2019
HellVictorinho:

And I hope you know this phenomenon can't be personified.
It Functions but it doesn't intend/think.
What you call 'Intelligence' is just one of your features as a human being.
No human lacks intelligence.
Animals are lower because they lack this intelligence.
There is no intelligence/purpose behind 'Existence'.
Man is an expression of pre-determined absurdity.

I don't know what you mean by "Can't" because the personification is our next line of discuss, since I was only focused on getting us on the same page of recognizing there's an 'uncaused cause'. Further argument will now focus on us finding out if the 'uncaused cause' could also be termed the 'uncaused being'.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by LordReed(m): 6:58pm On Jan 06, 2019
9inches:

Sorry, I was in a rush and did not notice you cut the last part of the quote. The full expression was "God! this world, myself, my child… none of it has to be here, yet it's here.” The "God" part was an expression of emotion or emphasis. My original post was "Gawd", then I modified with "God", and then removed the expression... I realized from the beginning it could be easily misconstrued.

I hope you understand it now.

Doesn't matter, it is still an appeal to intuition.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Nobody: 7:26pm On Jan 06, 2019
9inches:

I don't know what you mean by "Can't" because the personification is our next line of discuss, since I was only focused on getting us on the same page of recognizing there's an 'uncaused cause'. Further argument will now focus on us finding out if the 'uncaused cause' could also be termed the 'uncaused being'.
If it is a being,it must be active as a being who recognizes the fact that humans are beings who deserve to be cut some slack.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by 9inches(m): 8:21pm On Jan 06, 2019
LordReed:

Doesn't matter, it is still an appeal to intuition.
No, it matters because none of the arguments (approaches) is bereft of pure objective reasoning. You also haven't explained where and how you think the intuition came into play.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by 9inches(m): 8:32pm On Jan 06, 2019
HellVictorinho:

If it is a being,it must be active as a being who recognizes the fact that humans are beings who deserve to be cut some slack.
I totally agree! So, it's a being.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Nobody: 8:37pm On Jan 06, 2019
9inches:
I totally agree! So, it's a being.
No,it's not.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by 9inches(m): 8:45pm On Jan 06, 2019
Who God is and who God isn't.

I'll provide transcript of the video if anyone needs it..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zMf_8hkCdc

HellVictorinho
LordReed.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by 9inches(m): 8:53pm On Jan 06, 2019
HellVictorinho:

No,it's not.
Yes, t is because it met the condition you posed.

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Nobody: 8:58pm On Jan 06, 2019
9inches:
Yes, t is because it met the condition you posed.

Yes,it met your qualifications.
Not mine.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by 9inches(m): 9:35pm On Jan 06, 2019
HellVictorinho:

Yes,it met your qualifications.
Not mine.

You said the following, not me.

HellVictorinho:
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Nobody: 10:08pm On Jan 06, 2019
9inches:

You said the following, not me.

Does the person you call God really give a Bleep about anyone at all?
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by 9inches(m): 10:32pm On Jan 06, 2019
HellVictorinho:

Does the person you call God really give a Bleep about anyone at all?
Yes!
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by LordReed(m): 12:17am On Jan 07, 2019
9inches:
No, it matters because none of the arguments (approaches) is bereft of pure objective reasoning. You also haven't explained where and how you think the intuition came into play.

I did already in my summary of each point. All of them make intuitive leaps and are appealing to the reader's intuition.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by 9inches(m): 4:31am On Jan 07, 2019
LordReed:

I did already in my summary of each point. All of them make intuitive leaps and are appealing to the reader's intuition.
You're obviously lying. You zeroed in on an example which is not one of the main approaches discussed. Yet, you couldn't show anything that made it seem to you like an "intuitive leap." That's what a dishonest person does when he could not take on an argument. It's very convenient but a lazy thing to do.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by LordReed(m): 6:26am On Jan 07, 2019
9inches:
You're obviously lying. You zeroed in on an example which is not one of the main approaches discussed. Yet, you couldn't show anything that made it seem to you like an "intuitive leap." That's what a dishonest person does when he could not take on an argument. It's very convenient but a lazy thing to do.

Are you stupid or are you just spoiling for a fight?

I wrote this as a clarification:

LordReed:

If you don't understand what I wrote you could have asked for a clarification instead of acting a fool.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 9:42am On Jan 07, 2019
9inches:
Your signature says you don't believe truth is absolute. Is that really how you live your life?

I means that I live my life in a way that if I see a truth that contradicts what I have held, I can change my belief, regardless of how hard it may be.

Do you have something against that?
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 9:45am On Jan 07, 2019
TATIME:
@joseph1013
God's ORIGINAL purpose for humans (the only intelligent creature on earth) is to supervise other creatures and keep their environment in conducive conditions! Genesis 1:26-28
That's what will bring honor to any landlord whose tenants are taking good care of the house in which they're living! Hebrew 3:4
Mankind have spent thousands of years on earth and realized the need for worship! That's why there is NO place no matter how primitive those existing there on earth where the inhabitants won't have any sign of worship!
Pure worship is what mankind couldn't resolve for centuries till now. The only nation God revealed HIMSELF to on earth is ISRAEL,but they love the customs and practices of surrounding nations. They keep killing God's messengers (prophets) in their midst and finally they killed Jesus (God's model for everyone to attain to purity or holiness) Matthew 23:37
That's why Jesus called the Christians the CHOSEN nation that will replace natural ISRAEL(Matthew 19:28)Israelites are supposed to exhibit the qualities God requires from humans to live forever,this they're to learn from Jesus!Matthew 3:17,17:5
But Israelites rejected Jesus(Matthew 27:18-25)so that glorious privilege was given to Christians who accepted the teachings of Jesus! Wherever you may come from, you're to be as illuminators of those divine required standard as you keep exhibiting Christlike qualities.
That's why Satan immediately moved into action to establish his own deceptive religious sects all claiming Christians today! Matthew 13:24-30
But Jesus has warned honest hearted persons that it's "BY THEIR FRUIT" you will fish out false religious groups claiming Christians! Matthew 7:15-20
The FRUITS in question means deeds that everyone can SEE, so it's unfair after knowing all these to continue categorising Christianity with all false religions created by Satan!
Know today that mankind is inclined to worship,so you shouldn't let it escape your notice that it's impossible for FAKES to exist without the ORIGINAL somewhere!
That's why i was determined to find that single original, and i'm obliged to tell you that it's Christianity the one and only group fitting all that was written in the Bible today are Jehovah's Witnesses!

First of all, humans are not the only intelligent creatures on earth. Humans are not even the most intelligent creature on earth.

Second, how do you know God's original purpose for humans?
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 9:48am On Jan 07, 2019
TATIME:
Hmmmmmmmmm UNTENABLE excuses as usual from a determined atheist! wink wink
Well why not ask Muslims saying "Jihadists aren't TRUE Muslims" to PRESENT, POINT, NAME or SHOW you a group that's PRACTICING Islam in their assumed PEACEFUL way?
For your information, you're discussing with a former Muslim, i studied Islam to it's root and found out that it's all about exterminating INFIDELS as we would call unbelievers back then!
The religion sprout from the race of Ishmael (Abraham's first son by Sarah's slave girl) God's angel foretold what will become of Ishmael and his descendants that "they will become TERRORISTS" {Genesis 16:11,12}
Now how do you expect a descendant of Ishmael (the father of TERRORISM) to fair if such should claim to be sent by God to propagate pure worship.
Don't you think that will be disastrous. embarassed embarassed
So don't think that's a hard nurt to crack for somebody like me who has dedicated all his life to read,study and meditate on several religious books before concluding on Christianity!

It's interesting that your view about Islam is gotten from the Bible. Why should we trust the bible and what it says?

(1) (2) (3) ... (86) (87) (88) (89) (90) (91) (92) ... (130) (Reply)

Jesus is coming soon. This thread is for faithful watchmen / Scandal: Pastor Chris Oyakhilome In South African Trouble! / Rhapsody Of Realities: A Daily Devotional

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.