Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,009 members, 7,825,147 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 07:56 AM

My Thoughts And Questions About Religion - Religion (91) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / My Thoughts And Questions About Religion (231236 Views)

Questions About Religion For The Deep Thinker / Why Are Atheists Always Talking About Religion / Questions About Demon Possession - Nairaland Demonology Experts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (88) (89) (90) (91) (92) (93) (94) ... (130) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Nobody: 1:06pm On Jan 08, 2019
joseph1013:

All these people sef. They cannot answer questions simply. smh
Your question can't be answered simply to effect logic.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 1:16pm On Jan 08, 2019
HellVictorinho:

Your question can't be answered simply to effect logic.

So you don't know if morality is objective or subjective?

3 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Nobody: 1:26pm On Jan 08, 2019
joseph1013:

So you don't know if morality is objective or subjective?
It can be objective.
It can be subjective.
So it is not fixed.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by 9inches(m): 1:56pm On Jan 08, 2019
LordReed:

You are agnostic and believe there is a "god". What I'd like to know is why you seem to like the Catholic faith, something in it resonate with you?
Well, just like truth and morality, I don't have to like it. Who loves too much rules and responsibilities? smiley
By the way, I'm a catholic. I only said I became agnostic at some point. I grew up catholic though. But at some point, it wasn't making "reasonable sense" to me, especially while I was in college studying science and engineering. I reverted back to catholicism after serious consideration of a lot of other beliefs/faith. I now realized it was out of naivety that I left in the first place; I didn't put effort to learn about faith as I did learning sciences. I'm glad though, that I finally did. Better late than never.
The same thing that happened to me is currently happening to millions of Christians worldwide, especially this cuddly postmodernist-freedom-loving generation that loathes the idea of individual responsibility and absolute truths.

Why am I catholic?
I believe that Jesus Christ really lived, died and resurrected, and that we must obey everything that he taught. As a result of that, we have to believe the church that he established to continue his message to the world.
So today we believe and we obey the catholic church because the church is Christ extended into this world.

If you're already a christian and your question is why I'm catholic and not a protestant... you know, like the "Jesus and nothing else" or "Jesus is against religion" type of christians, then I'd answer a little deeper. If I'm allowed to rephrase such question, it would be "are you saying Jesus isn't enough".

The answer to that would be that it's Jesus himself that tells you that you also need the church because he established the church. In Matthew 18:15-18, Jesus says he gives the perennial command, anytime until he comes again, that if your brother offends you, you should go and tell him his fault and try to settle. If he won't listen to you, Jesus says, you should take one or two others with you. Notice that Jesus doesn't say anything like "hey, I'm enough. If someone disagrees with you, just ask me again and I'll tell you again......" He says you go to your brother.

You just don't say "oh Jesus settled everything". No. He says if they disagree you, you should take one or two with you for witness sake and try to settle. If they still don't agree, Jesus says you should tell it to the church! Now, according to Jesus (who has the final say in the matters of the church, which he also claimed is his own body), if they still refuse to listen even to the church, then treat them as you would a pagan or a tax collector, for "whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven."

This does not imply that Jesus isn't enough; we know Jesus is more than enough but it's Jesus who empowers the church to deal with these things (for reasons that could be argued later). But the idea of "Jesus only is enough" (in this context) which means "I don't need anybody else or the church" is unbiblical.

For biblical contexts:
a) The "church" as mentioned in this scenario refers not to the entire church of Jesus, as in Matthew 16:18, but to the local congregation.

b) "Treat him as you would a pagan (Gentile) or a tax collector": Just as the observant Jew avoided the company of Gentiles and tax collectors, so must the congregation of Christian disciples separate itself from the arrogantly sinful member who refuses to repent even when convicted of his sin by the whole church. Such a person is to be set outside the fellowship of the community. The harsh language about Gentile and tax collector probably reflects a stage of the Matthean church when it was principally composed of Jewish Christians. That time had long since passed, but the principle of exclusion for such a sinner remained. Paul makes a similar demand for excommunication in 1 Cor 5:1-13.

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by 9inches(m): 1:57pm On Jan 08, 2019
HellVictorinho:

Forget about the church.
I have explained the big bang event in my reply to
your statement on the unknown.
The Big Bang Church, I wanna attend. grin
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by 9inches(m): 2:04pm On Jan 08, 2019
CAPSLOCKED:

WHEN IS THIS GRACE COMING UPON US THE BILLIONS OF NON-CHRISTIANS WORLD WIDE?

DON'T TELL US TO READ THE BIBLE OR LISTEN TO THE THINGS YOU PREACH. IF THERE'S AN OMNI-THIS AND OMNI-THAT (S)HE SHOULD BE CAPABLE OF GETTING TO EVERY ONE OF US. THERE WON'T BE CONFLICTING CHRISTIAN BELIEFS AND RELIGIONS. THERE WON'T BE NEED FOR YOU TO TRY TO SWEET-TALK US INTO "BELIEVING" IN THIS OMNI-SOMEBODY. THERE WON'T BE NEED FOR SOME OF YOUR PASTORS TO GO EXTRA MILES TO TRY "TRICK" US INTO "BELIEVING", FOR IF THIS OMNI-THING WAS REAL AND EXISTING, WE ALL WILL "KNOW".
I feel you. All these you highlighted were caused man, God. Man misused his freedom (still does) to misinterpret and yet claim he is speaking God's word in totality. He is not a God of confusion; his words, if well taught, do not confusion. It's people that confuse themselves.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Nobody: 2:06pm On Jan 08, 2019
9inches:
The Big Bang Church, I wanna attend. grin
Easy,dude.
The Big Bang was just an event.
It wasn't the only event,anyway.

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by 9inches(m): 2:52pm On Jan 08, 2019
joseph1013:

1. Where are the results? Please show us your results.

2. In other words, you have tested the Abrahamic religions and found them to the true, and therefore conclude that the others are false (without looking into them). Is that correct?
1. In what form do you want the results? The result is the readily available (a.k.a already-made) answers to just about every one of the ever burgeoning questions man could have. If that's what you're asking, then I can point you to where and how to search for information/answers.

2. I thought I've answered that.
9inches:
2. Yes, I can say that I have knowledge of the other world religions. Belief systems can be grouped and understood in a nutshell. For example, if the Abrahamic religion is false, Judaism, christianity and Islam will fall in one fell swoop and your search for the truth focuses on the other religions. But if the Abrahamic religion is true, then your search narrows down to only the Abrahamic religions.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by 9inches(m): 3:01pm On Jan 08, 2019
HellVictorinho:

I've found you,Mr Inches. cheesy
And,guess what?
I've created a topic titled ' Timing of Existence' to burst your bubbles.
The Big Bang was just one of the events afterall.
And this event was possible because the events that caused the cosmic systems to be suspended upon the plane of Existence,which is undimensional, were also capable of causing their states to change dramatically.
Describe the first ever "event" and what constituted it.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 3:02pm On Jan 08, 2019
HellVictorinho:

It can be objective.
It can be subjective.
So it is not fixed.
Do you understand that your answer means morality is subjective?

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by joseph1013: 3:05pm On Jan 08, 2019
9inches:

1. In what form do you want the results? The result is the readily available (a.k.a already-made) answers to just about every one of the ever burgeoning questions man could have. If that's what you're asking, then I can point you to where and how to search for information/answers.

2. I thought I've answered that.
In terms of answers to question is fine.

I'm actually just interested in the verifiable proof you have to belief that Christianity is the one and only true religion.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by 9inches(m): 3:25pm On Jan 08, 2019
joseph1013:

Let's make this discussion as direct and obfuscation-free as possible. Many words when a few words would do can render points hidden and trying to untangle them could provide a waste of time.

It's a simple question. Murder, is it objectively evil? This question demands only a Yes or No.

Your response seem to be that it is objectively evil. Correct?
I said "it is", which means yes. I don't set to confuse. But mind you, we're not talking natural sciences where theories are reduced to short formulas and concise sentences. However, I understand what you mean.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by 9inches(m): 3:29pm On Jan 08, 2019
HellVictorinho:

Murder is a crime-fact.
"Good"/"Evil" are just words.
Why is murder a crime?
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Nobody: 3:29pm On Jan 08, 2019
joseph1013:

Do you understand that your answer means morality is subjective?
"Can" in English means possibly.
'Objective'and 'Subjective' have different meanings in English.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Nobody: 3:30pm On Jan 08, 2019
9inches:
Why is murder a crime?
Ask the lawmakers in your country's government.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Nobody: 3:39pm On Jan 08, 2019
9inches:
Describe the first ever "event" and what constituted it.
Time creates limits.
It shouldn't be limited.
My formula, E=KA,shows that Existence is Possible provided that Actuality remains Constant.
Check out my topic titled: Timing of Existence/Relativity Theory and read what I posted.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by 9inches(m): 4:06pm On Jan 08, 2019
joseph1013:

In terms of answers to question is fine.

I'm actually just interested in the verifiable proof you have to belief that Christianity is the one and only true religion.
Got it.

Truth by its very nature is exclusive. If it is true, as Christianity claims, that Jesus was crucified, died and rose again -- that it is not true as islam claims, that Jesus never died in the first place, and that somebody else was killed in his place... both claims cannot be true.

It's like asking why Jesus is the only way. Nobody else in history made the claims Jesus did. Nobody else claimed to be able to deal with the problem of the human heart like he did. Nobody else claimed as Jesus did to be "God with us!" So, whether you believe his claims or not, it's evident Jesus was utterly unique.

Note that christianity does not make the argument that other religions are totally false. That would be totally a false assertion. There is some good and truth in just about every other religion. If you apply the law of non contradiction - "A" and "B" cannot both be true at the same time. Either one of them is true or both are false.

So, now you know Christianity and islam could be said to be superficially similar but fundamentally different because they both make contradicting truth claims.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Thelights(m): 4:35pm On Jan 08, 2019
Now first of all I want you to understand that christianity itself is not a religion it is a fellowship a real fellowship and this was what Jesus christ brought to us not a religion secondly cain probably got married to his sister.

So as at this point we can't really say Cain committed an incense because this happened thousands of years before the law that means as at this time there was no law or would you say he committed a sin no because there was no law there is no sin without a law.

Lastly I want you to understand that christianity is by choice God already told us that there are two parts of life all of them lead somewhere but is He still told us the right one to choose so it is really your choice it is a choice to love God it's your choice not to love God is a choice to hate God and is a choice not to hate God but I want you to understand something for real study your scriptures very well tell the holy spirit to guide you and lead you into the mysteries you need the holy spirit to help you thank you.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by 9inches(m): 4:35pm On Jan 08, 2019
HellVictorinho:

Ask the lawmakers in your country's government.
Nothing in the law says where the idea of criminalizing murder came from. Is it safe to assume you don't know the answer.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Nobody: 4:39pm On Jan 08, 2019
9inches:
Nothing in the law says where the idea of criminalizing murder came from. Is it safe to assume you don't know the answer.
Are you a lawyer/legal practitioner?
And,if murder was not a crime,do you think you would be alive today?
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by 9inches(m): 4:47pm On Jan 08, 2019
HellVictorinho:

Are you a lawyer/legal practitioner?
And,if murder was not a crime,do you think you would be alive today?
No, I'm not a lawyer. Which of the lawmakers you referred me to are lawyers? See, you don't need law degree to know the law. You would need it to deal with the technicalities of arguing the law in a court setting.

That being said, there's no secular law that explains its foundation entirely world over. Only the US Constitution as far as I know comes close to dabbling into that.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Nobody: 4:56pm On Jan 08, 2019
9inches:

No, I'm not a lawyer. Which of the lawmakers you referred me to are lawyers? See, you don't need law degree to know the law. You would need it to deal with the technicalities of arguing the law in a court setting.

That being said, there's no secular law that explains its foundation entirely world over. Only the US Constitution as far as I know comes close to dabbling into that.
Alright, I will explain.
Humans limit themselves in different ways.
'Making laws' is just one of those ways.
Without these limits,humans won't even be as organized as rats.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by LordReed(m): 6:38pm On Jan 08, 2019
9inches:
Well, just like truth and morality, I don't have to like it. Who loves too much rules and responsibilities? smiley
By the way, I'm a catholic. I only said became agnostic at some point. I grew up catholic though. But at some point, it wasn't making "reasonable sense" to me, especially while I was in college studying science and engineering. I reverted back to catholicism after serious consideration of a lot of other beliefs/faith. I now realized it was out of naivety that I left in the first place; I didn't put effort to learn about faith as I did learning sciences. I'm glad though, that I finally did. Better late than never.
The same thing that happened to me is currently happening to millions of Christians worldwide, especially this cuddly postmodernist-freedom-loving generation that loathes the idea of individual responsibility and absolute truths.

Why am I catholic?
I believe that Jesus Christ really lived, died and resurrected, and that we must obey everything that he taught. As a result of that, we have to believe the church that he established to continue his message to the world.
So today we believe and we obey the catholic church because the church is Christ extended into this world.

If you're already a christian and your question is why I'm catholic and not a protestant... you know, like the "Jesus and nothing else" or "Jesus is against religion" type of christians, then I'd answer a little deeper because if I'm allowed to rephrase such question, it would be "are you saying Jesus isn't enough".

The answer to that would be that it's Jesus himself that tells you that you also need the church because he established the church. Matthew 18:15-18 where Jesus says he gives the perennial command, anytime until he comes again, that if your brother offends you, you should go and tell him his fault and try to settle. If he won't listen to you, Jesus says, you should take one or two others with you. Notice that Jesus doesn't say anything like "hey, I'm enough. If someone disagrees with you, just ask me again and I'll tell you again...... He says you go to your brother.

You just don't say "oh Jesus settled everything. No, "you go, because Jesus tells you to go and teach. But then if they disagree what hapoens? You take one or two with you for witness sake and you try to settle. If they still don't agree, Jesus says you should tell it to the church! Now, according to Jesus (who has the final say in the matters of the church, which he also claimed is his own body), if they still refuse to listen even to the church, then treat him as you would a pagan or a tax collector, for "whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven."

This does not imply that Jesus isn't enough I'm not enough; we know Jesus is more than enough but it's Jesus who empowers the church to deal with these things (for reasons that could be argued later). But the idea of "Jesus only is enough means" (in context) which means "I don't need anybody else or the church" is unbiblical.

For biblical contexts:
a) The "church" as mentioned in this scenario refers not to the entire church of Jesus, as in Matthew 16:18, but to the local congregation.

b) "Treat him as you would a pagan (Gentile) or a tax collector": Just as the observant Jew avoided the company of Gentiles and tax collectors, so must the congregation of Christian disciples separate itself from the arrogantly sinful member who refuses to repent even when convicted of his sin by the whole church. Such a person is to be set outside the fellowship of the community. The harsh language about Gentile and tax collector probably reflects a stage of the Matthean church when it was principally composed of Jewish Christians. That time had long since passed, but the principle of exclusion for such a sinner remained. Paul makes a similar demand for excommunication in 1 Cor 5:1-13.

Thanks for the clarification.

1 Like

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by 9inches(m): 6:58pm On Jan 08, 2019
HellVictorinho:

Alright, I will explain.
Humans limit themselves in different ways.
'Making laws' is just one of those ways.
Without these limits,humans won't even be as organized as rats.
1. In what way is making laws limiting to human?
2. Do rats have laws, why do humans need laws? Why not live the rat way - lawless?
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Nobody: 7:08pm On Jan 08, 2019
9inches:

1. In what way is making laws limiting to human?
2. Do rats have laws, why do humans need laws? Why not live the rat way - lawless?
Have you heard of limitations to the freedom of human rights?
Rats don't have that intelligence which causes humans to question everything including themselves.

2 Likes

Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by 9inches(m): 7:22pm On Jan 08, 2019
HellVictorinho:

Have you heard of limitations to the freedom of human rights?
Rats don't have that intelligence which causes humans to question everything including themselves.
No, tell me about that.

So why then do we need laws to live our lives?
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Nobody: 7:25pm On Jan 08, 2019
9inches:
No, tell me about that.

So why then do we need laws to live our lives?
Google the first one.
You need laws to maintain your peace, at least for some minutes.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by 9inches(m): 7:28pm On Jan 08, 2019
HellVictorinho:

Google the first one.
You need laws to maintain your peace, at least for some minutes.
Why would a person need laws to maintain peace?
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by 9inches(m): 7:28pm On Jan 08, 2019
LordReed:

Thanks for the clarification.
At your service!
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Nobody: 7:31pm On Jan 08, 2019
9inches:
Why would a person need laws to maintain peace?
Because other persons might want to take it away from you.
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by 9inches(m): 7:40pm On Jan 08, 2019
HellVictorinho:

Because other persons might want to take it away from you.
And so what? What's wrong with that?
Re: My Thoughts And Questions About Religion by Nobody: 9:20pm On Jan 08, 2019
9inches:
And so what? What's wrong with that?
OK,it is not wrong to you now.
But,if an armed robber actually attacks you,such a question would be......
And,I know you won't say"you are welcome to rob me since there is nothing wrong about it."

(1) (2) (3) ... (88) (89) (90) (91) (92) (93) (94) ... (130) (Reply)

Jesus is coming soon. This thread is for faithful watchmen / Scandal: Pastor Chris Oyakhilome In South African Trouble! / Rhapsody Of Realities: A Daily Devotional

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.